[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is the year that it is safe to buy used PC games? I'm

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: 1441382584330.jpg (299KB, 640x908px) Image search: [Google]
1441382584330.jpg
299KB, 640x908px
What is the year that it is safe to buy used PC games? I'm worried about steam or keys bullshit. What year did the beginning of the end happen?

What are some ones that never got digital distribution, some hidden gems?
>>
Not retro and dank meme image. Yep fuck off.
>>
It is highly unlikely you'll run into a key-related problem by now. Keys were mostly used to keep you from playing pirated copies on multiplayer servers. 99.9% of those were probably Gamespy servers, and that service has long since died. You're much more likely going to run into issues with old, incompatible EXEs or fucked up old DRM. Buy the physical media for collections' sake, but you're probably better off pirating for ease-of-use alone.
>>
>>2938938
>frogposting
>beginning of the end
End yourself.
>>
>>2938938
It's really hard to gauge when this happened since it didn't happen all at once but kind of caught on around the late 90s for some titles. Here are examples of a few retro games that don't use CD keys or activation.

>Unreal
>Unreal Tournament
>THPS2 (I know it came out in 2000 but it was a PS1 game)
>Descent 3

I'm sure there are a bajillion others but I don't want to make an exhaustive list. The only retro game with online MP that still checks CD keys that I know of, is Quake III. The Half-Life games are also steam based now instead of using keys.

>>2939026
I don't remember any /vr/ game that was still hosted on Gamespy servers when that happened. It was mostly early/mid-2000s games. UT99 used to use the Gamespy master server but Epic is hosting that now.

>>2938949
>hurr not retro
Not reading the post and replying to it. Yep fuck off.
>>
>>2938938
Yea kinda sucks that a lot of AAA PC games require Steam these days, but thats what the people asked for

FQNP0-5XQ5K-F34XN

9TBF9-WI9WY-JCDVI

9ZTLX-8T9RP-Y4GQM

5G40K-B946H-DLY6F

HK4LX-E0TNH-ICAGB
>>
>>2943393
t-thanks anon
>indie game the movie
why
>>
>>2938938
There's no exact time everyone started this shit but it's hardly an issue with retro games. A few yeas later though and it's a mess.
>>
>>2938938
I'd say it's around 2007 where it actually becomes a problem that I'd be wary of.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.