[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I know we tend to concentrate on more obscure gems. But what

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 6

I know we tend to concentrate on more obscure gems.

But what are your memories over good old fucking Super Mario Bros.

>bonus points for describing the circumstances of you playing it
>emulatorfriends are welcome as well
>>
I was like 3 years old when I first saw my parents play SMB on their NES. My dad was good at doing the turtle walk for extra lives.
>>
>>2938858
>be 6 years old
>get nes for christmas
>mario is bundled
>woah, cool game
>play 30 minutes
>switch to castlevania which my parents wisely bought as a second game
>woah, this is way cooler

Since then, Mario games were always neglected by me and only played when I was really bored. Dunno exactly why, the games are good but there's always something cooler to play.
>>
>>2938858

>neighborhood pizza place, new jersey, actual italians

>it had an arcade version of Super Mario Bros, essentially it was a Nintendo in an arcade cabinet that took quarters for timed play

>older kid brags to us younger kids that he beat it and you get to have sex with the Princess

>he plays it to show us

>he runs out of quarters in World 7

>we never get to see Sex With The Princess
>>
I tried it after 3 and couldn't get used to the physics, not being able to grab the turtle shells and stuff. The whole game felt really weird at first.
>>
It's a good game, it's not amazing like SMB3.
>>
That cover always bothered me.

Mario is clearly throwing a fireball when he's about to die and since when did fire Mario look like Louis C.K.?

Fire Mario didn't have orange hair.
>>
>>2938898
I used to always mash attack buttons as I was falling to death in platformers so Mario throwing a futile fireball against the wall there is actually rather accurate to my eyes
>>
>>2938870
Oh shit too cool for school hard core alternative lifestyle choice making casltevania playing bad ass since the 1st grade without even trying mother fucker coming through here get out of the way filthy duck hunting peasants
>>
>>2938858
>*FREEZE FRAME*
>"This.... is me. You're probably wondering how I got into this situation."
>some
>BODY
>>
>>2938947
calm down, kiddo.
>>
>>2938858
One of the first video games I played, and one of my earliest memories, period.
I was too young to remember when we got an NES, but I do have flashes of playing SMB on it.
I don't think I'd actually beaten it, though, till I was around 8.
Blew my fucking mind when I saw NG+. I thought the game bugged out or something. It was the first time an NG+ moment happened for me.
>>
>>2938858
Was one of the games I played the most as a kid (the others were Sonic 2, F-Zero, and Duck Hunt, and all of them were probably a candidate for the first game I ever played).
had older siblings, the consoles were theirs

I can't remember a point in my life where I didn't know about going to the 1-2 warp pipes (it was actually ages before I even went to 1-4).
Always seemed to get stuck on 5-2.
>>
>>2938898
Louis CK is rescuing the princess from Donald Rumsfeld, who it turns out IS a lizard who eats Mexican babies
>>
>>2938858
>be me
>young during early 2000s
>dad brings home a strange disc
>puts it in the computer
>hands me a pc controller
>teaches me how to play smb1 from a disc full of nes roms because we couldn't afford a GameCube
>love every second of it
>>
>>2938858
Wasn't a nintendican so I only played it a few years ago as an emushitter. I beat it warpless before I did it with warps.
>>
>>2938858
We had Mario 3 at home, but would play Mario 1, Duck Hunt, and Adventures of Lolo at my aunts house in her basement. It was filled with old construction toys and stuff, and it smelled funny.

Compared to Mario 3 and Sonic 2, Mario 1 always felt old back then. I appreciate the game now, but I didn't like it because it was ugly and the controls felt strange. And you couldn't go backwards! That was so confusing, it felt like I was trapped instead of free like in Mario 3 and Sonic.
>>
File: 1446106623953.png (192KB, 473x488px) Image search: [Google]
1446106623953.png
192KB, 473x488px
>tfw still can't beat it without save states
>>
>>2939289
just learn how to beat hammer bros and you're good
>>
Honestly consider it one of the best games ever made.

Didn't play it on NES as my first system was a 64, but I was able to play the deluxe version on Gameboy Color. Probably one of my most played GBC games.

It's actually sort of an interesting game to go back to. I remembered tons of sewer and water levels, but there's actually only like 2 or 3 of each throughout the whole game. I also forgot how many of the sky levels are on top of trees instead of giant mushrooms. My favorite levels, aesthetically speaking, are the night ones with white trees and white hills in the background. Those were always just really cool.
>>
File: mario-8-3.gif (27KB, 3672x224px) Image search: [Google]
mario-8-3.gif
27KB, 3672x224px
>4 in 1989
>Sister who was 2 swallowed a penny
>At the hospital
>Bord just sitting in a chair
>Nurse ask my parents if we can go off in one of the rooms
>TV there with NES
>First time seeing one
>Played it all day
>Hardly got past the first few stages
>Sister was ok and we went back home
>2 years later got a SNES
Didn't touch SMB again since All-Stars and not the NES version since someone had a NES at college.
>>2939289
I fail this stage 99% of the time. Even if I have 99 lives I still tend to only have about 20 in the end.
>>
>>2939630
I'm glad your sister was okay
>>
>>2938858
>be 10 years old
>get Famiclone for birthday
>cousin lends me a few games, mostly multicarts
>Know Mario only by name and pictures, never played it before.
>Have tons of fun with it,
>A lot of rage too. I used to rage a lot with games back then.

Stupid stories I recall:
>Moving the console to my parents room when visits came. Television there is older, doesnt have Audio / Video plugs. Have to set TV to channel 14 to play
>Looks more blurred and sky looks darker

>One day while parents are having dinner, manage to defeat Browser
>"The princess is in another castle"
>So fucking dissapointed
>Didn't play it again for months after that.

>What happens if I jump above the flag pole
>After over 9000 tries I succed
>Start running right
>Nothing
>Keep running right
>The background is clearly
>Keep running right with tears in my eyes until time's up.
>>
>>2939636
Thinking back I might have seen like a dick but I was 4 and didn't really know anything. Happy she was fine too. Weird how an almost near death experience with my little sister started my love of gaming.
>>
I'm playing with Mario in my system Nintendo when all of a sudden, phone is ring.

Hello?

'Princess is another castle'

'No'
>>
I was visiting my cousins daughters, I was like 8 years old. They let me play for a few tries, but the slippery ass controls made me die to the first goomba. I managed to jump over it and run, but then I died to the next one and stopped playing.

A much cooler experience was around the same time, when I tagged along with my dad visiting one of his friends. His two sons were playing SMB3. I sat in a super comfy chair and watched them beat it all the way through, once with warps, once without. They also showed me Worms on PC, and some other 2D PC game where you're a cat jumping between balloons.
>>
>>2938858
New neighbour moved it, had an NES and lent it to us. First time vidya.

No access to game magazines or any of that stuff.

Entire family played.

Walking on the ceiling? Figured that out ourselves. Hidden rooms inside pipes? Found them ourselves. Vines and warps? Found them on our own.

That total bullshit multi-coin block hidden inside a solid chunk of normal blocks early in 4.2? We went crazy, hit every block we could regardless of what the timer said, and fucking found it ourselves.

Casually strolling through 8.1, having a good time in a not actually all that difficult stage, and then losing your Fire Mario because the timer runs out and the stage just won't fucking end? Fucking hell.

I know, I know. Millions of people did exactly the same thing we did. Finding these things out on their own. Still a great feeling, and having the whole family participate is just plain... dare I saying it?

Comfy.

(Though we never beat fucking 4.4. Too much talking to notice the sound cues or something)
>>
I dunno. I always thought it was a weird game, I really liked the first levels. But the further in I played the more boring the level design got.

I remember having a lot of fun with 2 player games on the NES. Fucking loved Contra, battletoads, Mario Bros and Battle City. Those were the best with friends and cousins. Heck even my mom loved Mario bros.
>>
>>2938858
Great game.
I was born 92 so by the time I was old enough to play videogames, it was pretty old, and while I liked 3 and 2 better, I think it's a good game to just pick up and play, you just jump straight in and it's fun.

>>2938870
I played all kinds of Mario games, even though we had Turtles, Batman, Fester's Quest, etc.
Just because there's a cooler game doesn't mean you can't have fun with it.
Doom was the coolest shooter of the 90s but that doesn't mean Duke3D and Half-Life weren't fun and cool on their own merits.

I picked up NSMB2 for the 3DS because it was cheap and looked fun, and I have no regrets, even though I have cooler games (new and old).

>>2938947
I think you're reading WAY too much into his post.

>>2939228
Emulation was such a wonderful thing, even poorfags can play good games!
I would never have played SNES games if it wasn't for my big bro.

>>2939289
I'm not the greatest at sidescrolling platformers (I do ok), but I still have fun with the game.
>>
>>2939558
I heard the Deluxe version was supposed to be amazing, is it?
>>
>>2940441
Meh, the screen is cut on the sides and it looks a little squished to fit the GBC. So certain things can really surprise you... kicking a koopa shell is a real gamble.
>>
>>2938858
>I know we tend to concentrate on more obscure gems.
Since when?
>>
I only played the original on an emulator.
I did play it quite a bit on All-Stars back in the SNES days, but for some reason my favorite ended up being SMB2, the Doki Doki Panic one.
>>
>>2938858

>be five years old
>playing SMB with uncle
>that day I learned the Cuss Combo of "COCKSUCKER MOTHERFUCKER"

#family
>>
>>2938858
First game I ever saw and ever played on the NES, back in the early 90s.
Fun for what it is but the later Mario games improved on it much.
>>
>>2940441

It's great if you like challenges. The high score challenges for individual levels is really fun and makes you play the game in an entirely different way than you normally would, making you go out of your way to kill every enemy and find every hidden coin/1up/powerup for extra points.
>>
File: Bionic Commando.jpg (18KB, 400x350px) Image search: [Google]
Bionic Commando.jpg
18KB, 400x350px
>>2938858
I never really liked SMB1, but SMB2 was more my jam, I had quite a bit of fun with that game. My favourite was Bionic Commando, however. Probably because it was the only NES game that my cousins, my brother, and I had that I could beat. I think I have to be a bit drunk if I would replay it, if I want to get the swinging right. I loved the remake, and the 3D game was fun as well, even if the story felt like it needed to take a big, releasing shit. Most fun I had in any MP game... when it worked. And when people didn't use the pistol exploit.
>>
>>2943126
If you replay it, make sure to play the fanslation of the original Famicom version of Top Secret.

With like Gnatsees and shit.
>>
I first played Super Mario Bros on the NES at a christian youth club.

I thought it was a pirate of a game I had at home, but I found that I liked this one better. I'd only had a SNES and played Allstars until this point. It was years until I saw it again and realised it was the original.
>>
>>2938878

possibly thisun https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayChoice-10

I remember seeing those with uhh that Goonies game? and probably Excitebike, and yeah presumably Super Mario Bros.
>>
>>2938994

"kiddo" made a cute joke and you added a generic meme to make it less funny
>>
>>2943126

Bionic Commando is awesome
>>
I may have first seen this game in an arcade, not on a multi-game machine but in its own machine. That's what my weak memory of the scene tells me, anyway. It was a long time ago.

It looked pretty amazing. Eventually we got an NES and yeah it was great.
>>
File: shinskue swagskue 1.gif (1MB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
shinskue swagskue 1.gif
1MB, 500x500px
I got an NES in 86, I was in first grade. One day my dad brought it home. Other than seeing arcade games at the local markets, I really had no idea about video games. So he set it up, and we started playing Mario. The next day I came home from school, and he found the warp zone. We sat there like "wtf"?. Kept dying (time). Then I just pressed down. Seeing stuff like underwater levels, and night time boards was pretty sweet at the time. I became hooked. Then I got Zelda, and well Im sure you know what happened then.
>>
>>2939890
>Though we never beat fucking 4.4. Too much talking to notice the sound cues or something
Did the original SMB have sound cues for wrong paths in castles? I'm under the impression they were added in All-Stars, though I could be wrong.
>>
>>2938858
Is it weird that I never met anyone who actually owned the stand-alone Super Mario Bros. cartridge (outside hardcore collectors)? It was always the Super Mario Bros./Duck Hunt pack.
>>
>>2943525
No, the Super Mario Bros./Duck Hunt cartridge was very common.
>>
My first Super Mario game was SMB3, I had played games like Donkey Kong and Mario Bros. before, but for some reason I skipped the original SMB, I was born the same year SMB released, so by the time I was 5 (which is when I got my Famiclone) SMB3 was the new one and that's the one I got.
I loved SMB3 and played it every day, along with many other games like Ice Climber, Contra, Twin Bee, etc. I had 2 neighbor friends who would come over almost every day and play vidya with me, and sometimes my dad would sit and play with us, too. They were older than me, one was 1 year older, and his older brother was 14, and he was like an older brother to me too, I remember asking him about life stuff in general because he was a very grounded person and pretty mature for his age, the younger brother was more of a jackass, but we always had great fun playing video games, they also took me to the arcade center where I played Street Fighter II for the first time.

So after playing SMB3 a lot, and eventually beating it (I still remember how we were struggling through world 8 and bowser's castle, and then we couldn't beat him, so we called my dad and he was able to beat bowser on the first try, and we went crazy, good times), one day they came with a SMB1 cart, so they introduced me to the original SMB game. At first I thought it looked weird, I was used to the colorful SMB3 graphics and the more cartoony Mario sprite, the Mario sprite on SMB1 looked like a suspicious guy, in a way I found SMB1 kind of unsettling. But my friends started showing me all the secrets: how you can grab the hidden 1UP on the first level without going further on the screen so that you can still go back and enter the bonus stage on the pipe, the warp zone on 1-2, etc. I didn't like how you couldn't go back the screen at first, but then I kind of understood it added some challenge, you couldn't fuck up.
So despite my preference for SMB3, I ended up enjoying and playing SMB1 a lot.
>>
>>2943452
>the warp zone. We sat there like "wtf"?. Kept dying (time).

Now I understand how people couldn't figure out the barrel in sonic 3.
>>
>>2943404
inorite? The soundtrack is great, and I don't think you have to have played BC specifically to enjoy it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3rw8fe8vsE&index=3&list=PL3091C072C6A398BB
Mm... that Area 1 music...
>>
>>2939228
made me feel.
>>2941347
laughed more than i should have

Born in 82,older sister got an nes for christmas when I was around kindergarten age. smb was the only 2 player game. She let me play but never played much together because I would die alot and she'd get angry. Only game I played trying to get gud so she would want to play with me. she came home from school one day and showed me how to continue with the 2nd controller. my sister was a wizard
>>
All I remember is when my uncle showed me the infinite 1up trick on 3-1, I looked at him like he just discovered fire.
Thread posts: 52
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.