[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So, since aging is now a popular topic on /vr/, what do

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 7

File: aging.jpg (101KB, 640x372px) Image search: [Google]
aging.jpg
101KB, 640x372px
So, since aging is now a popular topic on /vr/, what do you think about aging?
>>
It's old hat.
>>
>>2938309
It is a privilege denied to many, cherish it.
>>
Complete bullshit. Many, many of the retro games I love, I never got to play until I was an adult.
>>
I don't want to age, but I don't want to do anything else, either.
>>
>>2938352
Awesome quote.
>>
Aging is noble
>>
getting old is gay.

but sitting down and playing old video games is never gay. feels the exact same as it did when my age was single digit. also as another anon said, i'm still playing tons of games i never got to as a kid and they're fucking awesome. still living out my childhood here and there as i get around to it.
>>
File: VaikunthaBoys.jpg (840KB, 1901x2473px) Image search: [Google]
VaikunthaBoys.jpg
840KB, 1901x2473px
I just want to say
HARI BOL
bc sweet Vaishnava art in OP
>>
>>2938458
>getting old is gay.
Nah man it's quite good, I like it, you get to be everyone's aniki or uncle.

Sure, you're not as energetic as before and some bad shit happens, but it ain't that bad at all, it's just life, again it's a privilege denied to many, in many senses.

Better to grow old than to die young, you'll get to play lotsa videogames at the very least.
>>
>>2938487
true, i mostly meant bills and other dumb shit. generally being your own boss is the shit doe.
>>
>>2938492
Being 25 isn't getting old, anon
>>
>>2938356
>Aging means something is bad

What?
>>
>>2938528
Why is there no discussion in other forms of media on this subject? Like how come /lit/ doesn't talk about how their books from 20 years ago have "aged"? Why is only video games where age is an issue?
>>
>>2938492
Well, I kinda prefer seeing young people grow and generally appreciating stuff, independence is good, but independence alone doesn't satisy me.

Maybe I'm kinda biased because I have some health problems that make me pretty happy to wake up every day, but yeah, getting old and see how the world around you changes isn't that bad, even when a lot of bad stuff happens, it's still a great experience.

I got to play lots of great videogames, met people who I share a lot of the same experiences with, learned languages, went places, saw my little nephews growing up, it's great and I don't want to exchange it with anything else.
There's still a lot of bad stuff happening, like this new wave of general hate, racism, fascism, SJWs with faux progressive mentality and the terrible change in attitude that happened here on 4chan since five years ago or so, but still, it ain't so bad.

I've seen the golden age of /vr/, met and befriended some great anons and more, as long as things can get bad, nothing will change the fact that I had fun here in the past and that there's still good people around here, I'm just sad that I probably won't be able to say proper goodbye to my friends when the time comes, but they know anyway.

TL;DR: Life is great anon, cherish it and cherish those who bless you with their honest friendship, fuck everything else, you'll never know when the time comes so don't waste your life hating on things you don't like.
>>
>>2938536
because you're retarded and don't actually talk to people?
People talk about TV and movies aging well or poorly all the damn time. In /lit/ this is mostly political, but it comes up.

Hell, this is where the premise of a "timeless classic" comes from. Anything that isn't is a product of its time and will be of diminished enjoyment at best outside of that time period.
>>
Getting old sucks.
>>
>>2938528

That's what people generally mean on 4chan when they say a game has aged.
>>
>>2938536
>Why is there no discussion in other forms of media on this subject?

Movies, music. Not media but fashions age, culture ages. It's such a simple and obvious concept that products and styles tend to conform to conventions of the era and may be different to what we are used to today, in ways that can be either familiar and nostalgic or unfamiliar and irritating, or a combination of either. Obviously a movie doesn't change literally, but the way it is perceived can be, and to say otherwise is a blatant lie because it happens to people all the time and disregarding that is denying reality in order to make a retarded point. Aging isn't bad or good, it is a neutral term that describes something changing, in this instance the perception of the player, in a way that can degrade or improve the experience.

If twenty different people play a game during twenty different years, you're potentially going to have a shift in the way the experience is perceived, due explicity to the conventions of the era versus the conventions of today, ie the graphics are noticeably pixelated, the game starts faster because there is no ten minute tutorial, etc.

I don't know how anyone can say this doesn't happen. It happens.
>>
>>2938352
>shitting yourself in an adult diaper a privilege
>implying smart people would want to live past 70

I know, I know. Next he's gonna tell me about his 85 year old great uncle who bench presses 300 pounds.
>>
>>2938587
"How old would you think you was if you didn't know how old you was?"

-- Satchel Paige
>>
>>2938536
of course they say that about other mediums

Charles Dickens has aged and become somewhat boring and irrelevant to our times, but back in the day he was considered a radical with dangerous ideas about social inequity.
>>
>>2938356
This confirms my theory that many people deny the concept of aging because they think it's somehow an attack against all retro games. Which is like thinking that someone giving a bad review to one game means he hates all games.
>>
All video games are products of their time of course which is why 3rd-4th gen games had tons of beat-em-ups and why 5th gen games had lots of skater/snowboarding games and so forth.
>>
>>2938619
wait

what exactly does the 3rd to 4th gen have to do with beating up hundreds of people in a row

what was going on in those times, I was just a tot in the 80s
>>
>>2938587
>Next he's gonna tell me about his 85 year old great uncle who bench presses 300 pounds.

Well, my great-great aunt is 97 and she's still mostly autonomous, kind of blind but she's alright for all the rest, no diaper either. Kinda helps that we're part of a pool of people with the longest life expectancy on the planet though
>>
Speaking in the context of video games, games definitely do age, but that doesn't necessarily mean they become bad. Doom is still a better FPS than everything that came out in the realistic/edgy/gritty/modern FPS wave, for example, even though no one can deny that its graphics and sounds are behind the times. Rather than just a process of aging, I think it would be better to compare it to stages of evolution of an organism. You start off with a primitive, simple form (think Pong) and move onto a complex, diversified organism. After that stage the subsequent games don't necessarily become more complex in all areas, but they necessarily become more complex in certain areas. The primitive form feels "aged" not necessarily because it's very old, but simply because it lacks the complexity we're used to and because complexity appears and develops with time.

If we going to be philo, then aging is one of the fates that await all existence. What matters is how prepared you are and how much you can deal with it so as not to feel suffering.
>>
>>2938627
Asians?
>>
>>2938638
Sardinia
>>
>>2938624
What? Martial arts was cool back then.
>>
>>2938596
>>2938587
They like to say age is merely a number and a state of mind? Well, to an extent this is true. When you and society decides that you're old, the power of suggestion tends to translate into physical symptoms.

If you've ever had a dog, you are aware that they do experience biological aging and experience ailments as they get older, especially arthritis. However, animals don't age the same way as humans because unlike us, a dog has no awareness that he's celebrated X number of birthdays.
>>
>>2938624
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUgnrG5G2-Y
>>
>>2938309
it only happens to animals so whatever man
>>
>>2938624
NYC, and other big cities were especially shit back in the 80s and the streets really did look like that with slightly less violence

Therefore, in the popular imagination of the time american cities were exactly like beatemups
>>
>>2938646
Faggots
>>
>>2938309
It's shit and I wish I didn't have to do it so I could play vidya forever
>>
>>2939051
The stars are aging anon. The stars.
>>
>>2938536
Probably because the medium itself evolves. Writing styles change, language changes, but books as a delivery method of the written word haven't fundamentally changed.

Aging is a discussion in film as well due to the dated nature of pacing philosophies and special effects techniques, be they practical or CG.
>>
>>2938624
Space shooters were cool in the 2nd generation b/c Star Wars.
>>
>>2938545
>Maybe I'm kinda biased because I have some health problems that make me pretty happy to wake up every day

I'm the exact opposite of you. Knowing my health is shit makes me envious of other people and not live life to its fullest.
I know I'm being a baby but I can't help it
>>
Games age.. but do people?
The vast majority of degeneration you see in modern man is due to incompatibilities with the modern world. It's not the world humans are evolved to live in, it's not our natural environment. Try reading and viewing the pictures in Nutritional and Physical Degeneration to see what I mean.
>>
Nutrition*
>>
File: 1336639879138.jpg (95KB, 600x791px) Image search: [Google]
1336639879138.jpg
95KB, 600x791px
>>2938580
Hope somebody screencapped this, he is somewhat correct
>>
>>2938309
Growing up is good, as long as you don't grow old.
>>
>>2938309
the only part about aging that has adversely affected me is how i can no longer sit like a freakshow contortionist directly in front of my tv screen while i play games.

for whatever reason i sincerely miss that.
>>
>>2940152
>Knowing my health is shit makes me envious of other people and not live life to its fullest.
I used to be like you when I was younger Anon, I know how it feels, especially since I won an incurable degenerative genetic disease at the lottery, but you gotta deal with that, not to mention that there are lots of people who have it much worse than you do.

A close friend of mine recently discovered she suffers from digestive scleroderma, and she's just 34, she won't live more than 7/10 years or so unless they miraculously find a cure but you know, she didn't give up and lives the best way she can, I felt the same after a while, it's no use gloating over something you cannot fight against, might as well use what you have left to live happily, who knows what will happen tomorrow.

Cheer up dude, I don't want my /vr/ troopers to live a sad life, I still have a lot of retro stuff to play and talk about with you guys.
>>
>>2938580
That's not what the issue is, I'd like to think we're all intelligent enough to already understand that.

The issue is that people are getting tripped up by the semantics of the term and how it's being applied to games. Games don't 'age,' because they don't change - it's really that simple.
>>
Everything is arbitrary.
>>
>>2940505
You are way too nice anon. This board, hell the entirety of 4chan would be a better place if more people shared your positive outlook of life.

I know one of 4chan's prerogatives is being mad and negative and shit but it's seriously not the reason I come here.

Anyway, I'm really glad to read that you don't regret anything because that's how one should live life. What you have written makes perfect sense and that's what I think too.
But it's hard to think positively when everything that happens to you seems like an elaborate prank from God to make you feel like shit.
Sometimes I just laugh at my life because it's so terrible that doesn't seem real, but it is.
You said life is great, and I agree, but mine is not, and I'm saddened by the fact that I can't live my life how I really want. I'm limiting myself partly though, because everything that happened to me created this negative aura around my life that just doesn't go away easily. I'm sure many people on 4chan felt the same way at least once in their life, but I just can't help but think that my misfortunes surpass all of them.
I'll stop being a crybaby (for now), I'll just say thanks for your post. You cheered me up a little. I wish you all the best man.
>>
File: Goe1371709776034.jpg (212KB, 920x709px) Image search: [Google]
Goe1371709776034.jpg
212KB, 920x709px
I wish I could be like this guy, I'm 30 and already have a lot of regrets
>>
>>2938309
to me /vr/ is a really good place to discuss this. Why? Because the people here have something important in common - they appreciate the past (and its games, movies etc.) so much that they don't leave it there. Instead we keep it alive in the present, some with grey hair, some with kids, some with obesity, some with depression, some with a very decent job, enough money and generally winning in life. Many of these developments come with age so often the motivation fore retro gaming comes/goes/changes with age. I'm 34 now so basically, i've grown out of beeing an elderly teen. I have a tough but rewarding job so i constantly have to perform on point in the present. Not having a family tho keeps the stress level, the responsibilities in my free time quite low and also gives me some spare money to spent on old games. So to me there's stress and looking forwards at daytime and relaxing and .living nostalgia in the evenings & weekends. And this pattern enhances with age for me. The older i get the more work stresses me and the more responsibilities i get at work. The more i need to compensate at the free time by retro gaming / technical stuff / collecting etc. Sadly, i'm not as good at gaming as i was when younger. Some games still work well, some even better, but my performance is not as persistent as before ... damn aging you!

When i read my text i can summarize it maybe with -> the older i get the more i'm escaping from reality ..
>>
File: 1437739942796.jpg (281KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
1437739942796.jpg
281KB, 600x600px
>>2940594
Well, 4chan changed a lot, it didn't use to be like this but the fact that it's mostly a place where people try to find an escapist outlet doesn't help I guess, I did behave like that too when I was 16, but now I'm a grown man and there's also some things I simply can't escape from.

As you said though, while most people gladly shit up this place that's not the reason you and I come here after more than 10 years, I want to share the good stuff I find with people here and talk about it and have fun, simple as that, especially since most of my friends don't share my interests so I cannot bore them to death.

And it's not like I don't have regrets, I do, lots of'em, but it's too late to make a difference now, what I CAN do is not make other mistakes, for both myself and the people near to me, and if it's within my possibility to do so you can bet your ass that will be my priority.

My life sucks for a lot of reasons, terrible health, almost no money, I don't like my government and all the stuff that's happening around the world, but for other things I'm also happy, I have a few good friends I can depend on, a few hobbies, know enough languages to talk with people from all over Europe and I'm not a closeminded, bitter asshole, at least not too much.

Sometime you can't help but feel depressed, I don't blame you, the sad thing is that nobody but yourself can deal with it, you really have to muster a lot of strength to go on sometimes, but in the end, it's worth living in this shitty gravitational well, there's stuff to see and to do as well.

Just do what you think will help people be happy and share your happiness with them don't end up like this>>2940618 kind of inane assholes that have infested 4chan and /vr/
Help your buddies out, learn to love yourself and try to live your life like you'd want it to be, if you feel down don't let out your anger on others, make friends, seek happiness.

You're not alone, fellow /vr/ trooper.
>>
>>2940607
that's because he is an wise elder, ad you're a manchild who playes vydia at 30yo while living with parents and working on unskilled labour for not much over min wage.

when you're 40 you'll regret not having tuned your life around 10y ago, when you 50 you will regret not settling for that women 10 years ago, when you're 60 you will regret not having had children when you were still 50, even if with some 35yo harlot shooting for alimony from the rich you pretented to be, during your midlife crisis, to score some not-so-old pussy still.

but on't kill yourself just yet, try it when you're 70 so that your sister's grandchildren are old enough to come to the hospital to play some retro videogames with you, and you die of heart attack from a nervous breakdown when you see they brought Halo VR with their "retro" portable Microsoft Xcube4k
>>
>>2941407
Not him but speak for yourself, not everyone here is someone not happy with their situation in life.

And a load of turdshit nonsense follows in your post. Generally anyone who uses the word "manchild" shouldn't be allowed to post until they've gotten intelligence. Same with those "autistic" derps, do you think you're the only people on /vr/? Where do you think the informative non-shitposts comes from?
>>
I'm 30 although I look somewhat younger. life is still what it is. could be alot better, could be alot worse. pretty good thread.
>>
>>2941407

well, I may regret some things in my life, but at least I'm not (You)
>>
>>2941446
To be honest with you, I think everyone thinks they look younger than they do. It's a kind of illusion. There might be a non-ego based explanation for it, such as that all people you are familiar with look younger, but people do tend to think that.
>>
>>2941452

I'm sure that's true, but people have always thought my age was a few years less than it is. not bragging either, it's just genetics. but so is this issue I have where I have to drink while I eat to prevent choking.
>>
>>2938309
>what do you think about aging?
We have far too little of it here.
>>
>>2940180
>The vast majority of degeneration you see in modern man is due to incompatibilities with the modern world. It's not the world humans are evolved to live in, it's not our natural environment

Actually in nature, animals normally do not suffer age-related degeneration since they typically get eaten or succumb to injury/disease. When an animal dies, it's typically after a short illness. Humans are unique among all species in having a protracted end where all your systems gradually fail. This is not at all normal because in nature, an organism that cannot feed or provide for itself starves or gets eaten.

For example, if this were our ancestors in Paleolithic times, you would never see a person with conditions like glaucoma, macular degeneration, or osteoarthritis because they wouldn't last too long. Can't see anything? Get eaten by something. Can't run from prey because of arthritic knees? Get eaten. Can't hear a lion sneaking up on you? Get eaten.

And of course a lot of degeneration is simply due to sedentary lifestyles; without enough exercise to stimulate the circulatory system, toxins tend to accumulate in your tissues and not enough oxygen/nutrients go to them.
>>
>>2938309
I started caring less and living more.
I have the money to spend on the shit I want.
I can choose the people to be around with.
I am more academically proficient.

Getting older only made my life better, surprisingly. I was very insecure about aging to the point that i thought I'd become a piece of useless knapsack.

Now I realise how useless I was BEFORE.

Only letdown is that I think I got uglier, but looks never mattered to me anyway, since I couldn't get any gf back then.
And now I'm married.
And now we're planning to adopt a kid very soon (she's sterile)
And now my father is is proud of me, enough to help me pay an apartment for me.

I probably wouldnt be saying that if hadnt studied but life just couldn't be better.
Thread posts: 61
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.