[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So I just learned that if you hold start as the N64 turns on

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3

File: N64-mem_card1.jpg (168KB, 805x596px) Image search: [Google]
N64-mem_card1.jpg
168KB, 805x596px
So I just learned that if you hold start as the N64 turns on you enter memory card management mode.

When I use my old memory card, it says that it's damaged and cannot be read. Is there any way to try fixing it, or is it busted for good? It's no big deal, but I'm kind of interested in seeing what save files are still on there from games I rented from blockbuster.
>>
File: TRCF_-_Cell_destroyed.png (288KB, 549x420px) Image search: [Google]
TRCF_-_Cell_destroyed.png
288KB, 549x420px
>if you hold start as the N64 turns on you enter memory card management mode.

Thanks for the tip OP. I always wondered how to use that thing.

I'm waiting on my friend to give me Mystical Ninja before I drop a gad on a Memory Card and Goemon's Great Adventure.

Looking back, it's kinda funny that you had to drop extra to be able to save your game to lower the cost or make room in some N64 games. Makes you wonder how much better Nintendo could have made their games if they had just bundled a memory card with the console.

Hot dang.
>>
No idea if it can be fixed, but here's a wild guess, if it says it's damaged, probably the save files are lost. If you manage to fix it, there won't be any of your old files there. I wish you luck though.

Also, is it a legit one like the one in the pic, or one of the 3rd party ones?
>>
>>2937994
>is it a legit one like the one in the pic, or one of the 3rd party ones?
Not sure... it's red instead of gray, and says DOCS on it,
>>
>>2938005

it's probably a 3rd party, unfortunately, the 3rd party N64 memory paks are known for being shitty. I also had a bad experience with one (a "4 in 1" one), lost all my saves. Then I got a legit one and never had any issues.
>>
>>2938023
Ah well. It was also stuck in the controller, I had to put the controller in a vice and pull the memory pack out with pliers.
>>
Speaking of n64 memory, how long do saves last? I got ocarina of time in the mail from ebay yesterday and I'm 1/4th done with banjo kazooie, I'm scared both games will die one day when i turn the game on.
>>
>>2938224
Some NES battery games still work. They probably won't die in the next few months if that's what you're wondering.
>>
>>2937960
I didn't learn this until 2012 or so. I always used my Gameshark to clear my memory card. That or games that had a menu for it.
>>
>>2937960
You should try cleaning the contacts. I was given one before and it wouldn't read when I put it in the controller. But after I cleaned the contacts, it worked again.
>>
>>2938224
Not every N64 used battery backup to save. Some used flash memory of eeproms. Here's a list of what they all used.

http://n64.icequake.net/mirror/www.elitendo.com/n64/usa_boot_save_list.html
>>
>>2938348
What are the contacts? (plz 4give ignorance)
>>
File: 1453573218046.jpg (100KB, 805x596px) Image search: [Google]
1453573218046.jpg
100KB, 805x596px
>>2938415
Pic related are the contacts
>>
>>2938224
>>2938231

I have save files on my memory pack from like 10 years ago still. You will be good and won't lose anything, just take care of your memory packs. Don't drop them or take them in and out of controllers all the time, slam them in or yank them out etc etc
>>
>>2938367
True. I have a bunch of extra common carts I use as EEPROM/SRAM save carts with my v64
>>
>>2937960
>So I just learned that if you hold start as the N64 turns on you enter memory card management mode.
UH WHAT

Is there any video of this shit?
>>
>>2938823
I just looked it up and all it does is go straight to the game's memory card manager menu
>>
>>2938827
>the game's memory card manager menu
Oh, I thought there was some special menu popping up, like the memory manager on GCN.
>>
>>2938830
It is basically the same but looks different depending upon the game. I'd post examples, but my CRT is dead.
>>
>people not knowing holding start enters controller pak memory management

IT'S ALMOST AS IF MOST POSTERS HAVE NEVER PLAYED A PHYSICAL N64
>>
>>2939187
Nah, I just didn't read the instructions to the system.

Good on you for trying to feel special for having played with a mass produced toy, though.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.