[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What does /vr/ think about themed worlds/levels? Has there ever

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 7

File: smb3_w6-hb.png (5KB, 464x152px) Image search: [Google]
smb3_w6-hb.png
5KB, 464x152px
What does /vr/ think about themed worlds/levels?

Has there ever been such thing as good water based world/level?
>>
File: maxresdefault (2).jpg (148KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault (2).jpg
148KB, 1280x720px
>>2935974
>Has there ever been such thing as good water based world/level?

Pic related if that fits the bill.
>>
I think they can be good as long as there is enough variations in the levels to stay interesting. Like if you go between snowy overworld, ice cave, blizzard, etc. then you've got a pretty cool ice world. SMB3 may not exactly do that, but it's still broken up by underground levels and they're able to do some neat stuff with the ice block that's introduced in that world. The level design also changes pretty significantly in each level so I'd say even if it doesn't spin a ton of variations on the theme, it's still an example of how a themed world can be done well and maintain interest.

Also water world in Mario 3 is fine so suck a dick OP.
>>
>>2935974
>no good water world meme

We need to cut this faggot bullshit out. Stop taking your opinions from ecelebs.
>>
>>2936001
People hated water levels long before youtube, kiddo. Same goes for ice.

I love ice, though.
>>
What is so bad about water levels? It isn't like all games use a drowning system like Sonic, and the only Sonic level that could be stressful would be the Labyrinth Zone.
>>
Please fuck off with your water level meme bullshit.
>>
>>2935974
Yes. Why don't you try playing games that aren't Mario or Zelda?
>>
>>2936008
>people hate ice levels

"no"
>>
>>2935974
>Are there any good water levels?

Yeah, that's why games kept including them.
>>
File: bobby srs.jpg (50KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
bobby srs.jpg
50KB, 500x375px
>>2936129
Yes, you're right, literally every person loved ice levels and no one has different opinions
>>
>>2935974
>Good water levels
Ristar's water planet and second act of Ice Planet are pretty fucking decent, mainly because he isn't as slow as shit in the water. It's actually difficult because if you press jump he does a huge breaststroke that retains speed even when you change direction meaning you'll more than likely accidentally hit enemies. On the plus if you do it towards the surface he springs outta the water, making that less of a hassle.
>>
people don't like having their controls inhibited

if the controls are worsened in one way, they should be improved in another way

people love the "green sock" level of SMB3 even though the control is slipperier than normal. the green sock has such awesome abilities that more than make up for it.

water levels should always control like having the frog suit in SMB3, or like in DKC water levels.

instead, they're usually like playing flappy bird. or it's like Sonic, and everything is slow and you have to look for air bubbles
>>
File: bigblue.jpg (17KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
bigblue.jpg
17KB, 480x360px
>>2935974
>>
>>2935974
the music from dire dire docks was a good thing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqcPSbkS9TQ
>>
File: bmbu.png (334KB, 545x471px) Image search: [Google]
bmbu.png
334KB, 545x471px
>>2935974
I love the SHIT out of non-standard themed levels. Basic themes like "Fire, ice, sky" etc etc can all be interesting, but I always look forward to something that doesn't fit in with that kind of stock theming. Pic related is from Bio Miracle Bokutte Upa, where you just go to a computer world for no reason and you play upside down.

Other games with non-standard levels I can think of:
>Chameleon Twist 1/2
>Megaman (various bosses and levels with weird themes)
Actually that's all I can think of right now

I never went with the "All water levels suck" thing but I will say I find most of them very nice-looking levels at least.

>>2936008
>I love ice, though.
I love ice too, I usually don't hate these levels and I can't think of a bad-looking ice level, most of them are all very pretty.

>>2937187
I agree, that game is second only to the wave race games in making me want to swim. More games need to include a faster, dynamic pace to them more like a water park type level rather than one where you wade around trying not to drown, etc.
>>
>>2935974
>Good water levels
The ones in Mega Man games are fun even if just for the "I can jump ridiculously high for no apparent reason" thing.
>>
>>2937274
They're not really water thought, they're more like "reduced gravity".
>>
>>2935974
Play Yoshi's Island, it does both themed worlds and Water levels perfectly.
>>
>>2936059
Sonic's drowning system was great!
>>
>>2935974
Water levels weren't hated because they were badly designed. They were hated because, generally, they were harder than average, or there was a clear fear of drowning.

Hell, the entirety of Ecco the Dolphin was a water level, and it's considered a Genesis masterpiece.
>>
>>2937158
>the green sock
It's the fucking kuribo shoe you filthy swine.
>>
File: tmp_18353-dkc3cover-1357877838.jpg (152KB, 600x918px) Image search: [Google]
tmp_18353-dkc3cover-1357877838.jpg
152KB, 600x918px
The water levels in DKC3 were great though.
>>
>>2937480
>Stages that are water based with water themes and a boss with a form of liquid or something of the ilk is only "reduced gravity"
>>
>>2936001
>>2936008
seriously, water levels in mario at least were always slow and annoying to get through, long before youtube was a thing
>>
>>2935974
Spyro has nothing but themed levels and the first three games are great. 2 and 3 have fantastic water levels.

The themes can get a bit odd, though. I'm not sure what the mindset was behind creating a level based around the idea of a robot farmland or a battleground between blobs and birds with references to Jack and the Beanstalk, Rapunzel and Romeo and Juliet awkwardly blended together as a mission on the side. Fun levels, though.

TROUBLE WITH THE TROLLEY, EH?
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.