[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How come they released 4 shit games starring Bubsy? who kept

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 8

File: Bubsy_1_cover.png (325KB, 300x426px) Image search: [Google]
Bubsy_1_cover.png
325KB, 300x426px
How come they released 4 shit games starring Bubsy? who kept buying those games to make 4 of them? which other series got an awful lot of iterations inverselly proportional to its quality?
>>
Drug money made by the dev on the side.
Specifically coke.
>>
File: Alfred_Chicken_Pal.jpg (445KB, 1389x1371px) Image search: [Google]
Alfred_Chicken_Pal.jpg
445KB, 1389x1371px
This little turd right here, i remember when my brother bought this when it was just released. Then we got home and he tried it, I felt sorry for him because he spent his savings on this. Later i learned that wasn't even Alfreds first game. Can't even believe someone thought this so good character it needed multiple games.
>>
File: tumblr_ny6it9zMaT1qa6wvao1_1280.jpg (959KB, 1280x1710px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_ny6it9zMaT1qa6wvao1_1280.jpg
959KB, 1280x1710px
Heavy marketing.

In 1993, platformers weren't doing so hot. The ones that sold well were all licensed. Tiny Toon Adventures, DuckTales, Mickey Mouse, The Lion King.

The genius of Accolade was to elevate Bubsy to the status of a "classic" cartoon character. They made the Bubsy games feel like a videogame tie-in to a cartoon that was never made (outside of the pilot).

I kind of like him, but I loathe the games.
>>
>>2935592
>The ones that sold well were all licensed.

except for, you know, Mario, Sonic, Kirby, Megaman, ect. ect.
>>
>>2935638

That was 1991. Things changed in the years afterwards.

Read a gaming magazine from around the time Bubsy came out. Everyone talked about fighting games, nobody really gave a shit about platformers.
>>
File: PLukdxi.jpg (65KB, 804x720px) Image search: [Google]
PLukdxi.jpg
65KB, 804x720px
>>2935540
I honestly liked it.
>>
>>2935592
I always thought the cartoon was Bonkers D. Bobcat.
>>
>>2935814
>That was 1991. Things changed in the years afterwards.

Except every series he listed had releases of some sort between 93-95.
>>
>>2935557
just youtube'd this

what a shit game, and does the soundtrack get louder and louder or is it just me? fuck
>>
>>2935540
Bubsy 1 is not bad. It's kinda good. It's no Mario or anything, but I wouldn't call Bubsy 1 a "bad" game. The sequels suck, though.
>>
>>2935592
He's kinda fun to look back on how trying to capitalize on Sonic by focusing solely on 90s tude can backfire horribly. Even in that ad I want him to shut the hell up.
>>
>>2935814
Character platformers didn't start dying till somewhere in the PS2's lifecycle.
>>
File: smug.jpg (51KB, 626x720px) Image search: [Google]
smug.jpg
51KB, 626x720px
>>2935940
>I want him to shut the hell up.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmNdbdSCuC4

listen to the first minute or so
>>
>>2936026
I miss saturday morning cartoons.
>>
>>2936026
Damn we've burned through every single stock 90's saturday morning cartoon sound effect in under 45 seconds here
>>
File: 23883_38497.jpg (11KB, 288x216px) Image search: [Google]
23883_38497.jpg
11KB, 288x216px
>>2936102
me too
>>
Why does everyone dislike bubsy so much? This was a comfy game from my childhood and i liked it. I remember it being hard though.
>>
>>2936441

His games are pretty bad, but Bubsy is a meme series. I don't like using "meme" as an adjective, but it's true. They're games people love to hate, like E.T, Desert Bus and Superman 64.

Most people know about Bubsy through Seanbaby, JonTron and bubsy3d.com.
>>
>>2936441
Trash physics, trash enemy placement, one hit kills.

Bubsy 2 fixed the one hit kills, but it gained trash music, trash level design, trash enemies, and trash minigames.
>>
>>2936470
Just like Shaq-Fu gets a lot of hate. Its not even that bad in my opinion. Probably gets hate from stuff like avgn.
>>
>>2936470
Don't slander Seanbaby though.

He was from an era way before e-celebs and started almost a decade before YouTube.
>>
>>2936670

I think he's funny, but you have to admit that this is the template for every "worst games ever" list: http://www.seanbaby.com/nes/nes/egm.htm

Night Trap is not a bad game desu
>>
>>2935557
i got the snes one from a pawn shop as a kid

$5
>>
>>2936678
Yeah, he initially did the Top 20 Worst NES games years before that. I admit that it was a template but it wasn't his fault they copied his bit millions of times over.
>>
>>2935557
That cant be nearly as bad as this?
>>
>>2936470
>They're games people love to hate, like E.T, Desert Bus and Superman 64.
Not everybody shares your opinion though. I played the shit out of Bubsy on the Genesis as a kid and really enjoyed it, enough to actually track down a copy years later.
>>
money laundering scheme?
>>
Why were Bubsy cartridges on Genesis (wait, was it even on SNES?) always so god damn butt ugly compared to normal carts?
>>
>>2935557
I liked the SNES version, even with its repetitive music. The PSX one is too zoomed in (no visibility) and it doesn't feel as smooth.
>>
>>2936470
>>2936543
People have disliked everything you listed for decades. This isn't new.
>>
>>2936760
Accolade used their own proprietary cartridges instead of using what Sega made. They started out as an unlicensed third-party before becoming official.
>>
>>2936470

I played Bubsy before knowing who seanbaby or jontron were, and I fucking hated it. Played it again recently, still hate it. The games are awful.
>>
>>2937532
/vr/ is so contrarian that it could even defend Rise of the Robots if a thread were made.
>>
>>2936678
omg I haven't looked at this in like, over a decade. thx anon. He definitely laid the groundwork for every videogame list and eceleb to follow, but he was damn good at it and hilarious at the time
>>
>>2937532
>>2936793

There's lots of bad games, but Bubsy's trilogy are infamously bad games. Carmageddon 64 is the former, Superman 64 is the latter.
>>
>>2935557
I like his character design.
>>
>>2935540
>which other series got an awful lot of iterations inverselly proportional to its quality?

*insert joke about Sonic here*
>>
File: sip.png (16KB, 291x169px) Image search: [Google]
sip.png
16KB, 291x169px
>>2937624
I'm still waiting on a Youtube reviewer to review Quest 64 so I can get legions of idiots telling me I didn't play it when it came out and am just echoing someone else's opinion.
>>
>>2938228
Like, a new review or what?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6lzitHLfMM
>>
>>2936102
>>2936126

Weekday afternoon cartoons were superior.
>>
>>2938234

>"kek, this random video of literally who which nobody ever seen isn't proof o--"
>1.500.000 views

What the fuck m8
>>
>>2936441
Mediocre first game, terrible sequels that were unnecessary.
Forced meme character who felt like ironic shitposting in 90's cartoon form.

>>2936543
I tried Shaq-Fu, and while it wasn't the worst thing ever, everything about the game was painfully mediocre. The graphics are really nice and all, but the gameplay is a snooze-fest.
I like Shaq though, he's a precious cinnamon bun. Who can resist the bright smile of that gentle giant?

>>2938228
This, Christ, suddenly I can't shit on a bad game because someone made a YouTube video.

Fuck that guy who said NES Dragon's Lair is good, I'm still mad at him.
Thread posts: 43
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.