[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Ultimate Journey NES

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 5

File: boxartfront.jpg (560KB, 873x1279px) Image search: [Google]
boxartfront.jpg
560KB, 873x1279px
Where does she rest, anon?
Do you know?
Let's find her, together.

So basically, I don't fucking know how to find lost shit. But, when u get a bunch of artists together, shit pans out. Hell, I was an OP on /co/ that started a mass search for some shitty bootleg sponge Bob movie, and that fucking actually got somewhere. We uncovered a huge money laundering scheme and shady BUISNESS stuff, shit was crazy. Did we find the movie? No, but we know where it is, and we know it exists. So come on down and help find some vidya with us!
>>
Bumping for intrest.
>>
>>2930872

we need someone with connections to Bandai. if working prototypes exist (and odds are they do) I'd guess they are in storage at Bandai in Japan. or in possession of a Bandai employee/ex-employee.
>>
File: ultimatejourneyegm23.jpg (1MB, 1400x1836px) Image search: [Google]
ultimatejourneyegm23.jpg
1MB, 1400x1836px
>>
>>2930940
Well its bandai namco now, I believe there is an American branch, but problem is after the merge storage may have been cleared out.
>>
>>2930949
Is there an author to this other than just egm? I know they wouldn't have the cart but any info is valuable
>>
>>2930872

Most prototypes only appear by random chance. Especially Japanese made games which tend to be destroyed rather than preserved. Maybe someday we'll get lucky and someone will put it up on ebay someday, but until then don't expect anyone to "find" anything.
>>
>>2930994
Well, I know this doesn't mean much, but apparently there was no jap equivalent, I know it could have been made there n all, but who knows, maybe it was developed solely in america
>>
>>2930997

A lot of games are made solely for the American market, but it's still Japanese made.
>>
>>2931002
So it may be on a famicom cart as well, and likely not kept. Where is it people usually find these kind of things, like lost prototypes n stuff. Is it just employees atics?
>>
>>2931009
If this American reviewer played it, then there may be a chance that they played on an nes or dev kit nes
>>
>>2930957
There are the first names of the reviews on the side. I imagine any EGM of the era would include their last names as well. Steve is almost certainly Steve Harris, the editor of EGM.
>>
>>2930957
Oh, and this is apparently the original Sushi-X's Twitter account: http://twitter.com/sushi_x
>>
>>2931098
One more thing - this article has a list of EGM contributors: http://tay.kinja.com/a-love-letter-to-egm-1059783692

I'm guessing Martin is Martin Alessi and Ed is Ed Semrad.
>>
>>2931091
>>2931098
>>2931129
Nice digging, anon, thanks!
I'll be sure to make a list of these kind of things, pieces of info we find useful. I'm thinking about making a thread on /co/ to get some veterans from our adventures over here, they were great at organizing stuff and making pastebins
>>
File: roachburger.gif (94KB, 357x317px) Image search: [Google]
roachburger.gif
94KB, 357x317px
>>2930872
>>2931164
Pastebinfag from the Day with Spongebob adventure here; your new mission has me intrigued.

I'm not much a /vr/ guy, but can you give me a rundown of what it is and its history before it got lost?
>>
>>2931250
My god, you were the shit of our days, its been too long.

Ultimate Journey, a game by bandi for the nes. At least, It was going to be one.

The game was finished, and was a north america exclusive. Now that begs the question; is it on a famicom cart or an nes, and if it was an NA release, is it in the states?

EGM, a video game magazine, made a review of it.

We know of 4 people who have played it, but not their last names. However,
>>2931091
>>2931098
>>2931129
Was helpful in identifying who these first names may be.
>>
Sushi-x has been sent a tweet over twiiter, tho it looks as though she hasn't used it in coming close to a year.
>>
>>2931307
Sushi-X thinks Gimmick! is kid's stuff and got it cancelled in North America so Tweets are disregarded as not credible.
>>
>>2931418
Well sushi obviously plaued it, any thing must be taken into account from people who have seen it first hand
>>
sushi X was many people. EGM at any time had three main reviewers.

but a variety of other writers would do one-offs, and those would go in the Sushi X row of reviews.

The Sushi X Battletoads review and Ultimate Journey review could have been two different writers.
>>
>>2931785
Well, then we still have the other three to go off of. It's late in East coast, but I've got a hunch these guys might live on west coast, might not be too late to give em a ring
>>
>>2931418
Sushi X was right
>>
the Sushi X that reviewed it was David Siller.

http://www.1up.com/features/missing-notable-games-lost-to-time

also, Dan MacArthur, the American that created the characters & concept of the game, has been reached out to before. He doesn't have a copy.
>>
>>2931909
Nice find, I'll try to reach out to them tomorrow, my exams have been my first priority but I'll make time. If I can't I'll ask an anon to so kindly do it

My captcha asked for juice and the star of David was a picture.
>>
>>2931418
Fite me

>>2931785
There was only one Sushi X. The others were Sushi I through IX.
>>
>>2931984
The last thing we need is a name fag causing confusion, so please, I ask you, stop the role playing as sushi
>>
>>2931268
Oh, I didn't even do that much searching myself; I just compiled all the info that others dug up so that we wouldn't have to keep explaining it over and over.

From the way I see it, our best bet right now might be contacting Sushi on twitter as seen in >>2931098. His twitter seems moderately dead, but if that doesn't work out you could still see if there's of a response by going through that 'vgevo' site his profile links to.

He probably doesn't have every game he reviewed for the site, though. I don't know that much about EGM, so I can't say how many of these reviews he actually had to do. Hell, there's a good chance that he won't even remember the game at all out of the constant stream he had to play. That being said, he might now how to point in the right direction of who'd have those old copies now (if any *does* still have them, that is.)
>>
>>2930872
That fish looks fucking pissed you're anywhere near his river.
>>
>>2932083
I would have dropped it immediately but since you got butthurt - no.
>>
>>2932173
I think I asked nicely anon, and if I didn't I apologize, but we had a rough go in the ADWSS days with stuff like this.
>>
>>2932120
Well, we'll definitely check on all these sources tomorrow, I'm gonna go fail my finals then get on this right away
>>
>>2930949
I love how they list battle toads difficulty as average. Most people here call it hard or impossible. Lord I miss those days. Lol
>>
>>2930953
This is what I'm afraid of more than anything.
The big video game burial blamed on the Atari ET debacle was really just a shitload of old games getting cleared out. Worst case scenario, Ultimate Journey's underground.
>>
There is quite likely a copy or several copies out there. As for what it would come on, that hard to say. Even if it were developed in Japan (I didn't verify), it could have been on a US NES cart. I know there is an early version of the Monsters in My Pocket game which, despite being developed in Japan, is on an NES cart. It also could've come on a Famicom cart. I have a prototype of an NES game that was developed in Japan for a US audience and it comes on a bare Famicom PCB with Japanese labeling, including instructions as to which side is the front. The game, however, is a very near if not final (save for coding differences) version of the US release (there was never a Famicom release and there was likely never meant to be a Famicom release - the game is Pero's Great Adventure).

With prototypes you never really know. You might not see one in the entire 20 year span between intended release and present day only to have two copies show up within a week of eachother. It might be worth investigating, but chances are it'll be a wait and see thing. These reviewers probably won't remember this one random game and any proto carts they had were probably either returned, lost, thrown out, or sold off long ago.
>>
>>2932423
>Even if it were developed in Japan (I didn't verify), it could have been on a US NES cart.

the concept and characters where created by an American working for Bandai, who sent his creations to Japan where they were developed into a game.
>>
>>2933109
Well the fact that an American review team was able to play it, perhaps they had it on a nes. Even if they didn't, then the famicom cart me be here
>>
>>2930872
Fuck you. I'm not an artist.
>>
>>2933275
Autist not artist, I strangely feel like artist is more offensive
>>
>>2932385
Or some sick fuck did what bio force ape guy did and smashed the fucker
>>
>>2933307
I was just quoting op

>"artist".
>>
>>2933418
I am op, myauto correct won't accept the fact that autist is something fags say
>>
>>2933320
Fuck that piece of shit. I was never so mad at a video.
>>
>>2930994
Or they will be cute and put it in a VGA coffin with the open EPROMs
>>
>>2933320
>>2933521
You guys know that a) that was a hoax, and that b) Bio Force Ape has been dumped since then, right?
>>
>>2933320
WORTH 2K MONIES.

And no, as was said, that was a hoax. An actual Famicom proto of the game was later found, purchased, and dumped by Frank Cifaldi (I think it was him). In general, despite the hype around NES protos, I'd say for most JP games you're better off finding a Famicom proto.
>>
>>2933549
Not at the time. At the time it was infuriating.
>>
>>2933521
Video? I thought it was just a shooped photo of a destroyed cart on Retrogaming Roundtable. A fake screenshot spawned the JA I AM MADE OF DUR BUTTER meme.
>>
>>2934294
I goofed or my phone goofed or something.
I meant to say "I was never so mad at a video game thing."
>>
File: sad faec.gif (4MB, 338x323px) Image search: [Google]
sad faec.gif
4MB, 338x323px
>>2934294
>My friend knew about Bio Force Ape
>Our faces when this wasn't in the game
>>
>>2934308
How was Ape? I haven't gotten around to it yet.
>>
Having a hard time finding contact info for Ed, does an anon have sauce?
>>
>>2934385
It's pretty awful, to be honest.

I still say you should give it a shot, given its status.
>>
>>2930872
Journey is NOT retro!

Oh wait,... Ultimate Journey...

Nevermind. Continue.

But I'll be... watching.
>>
>>2935850
I plan to.
>>
>>2934385
Pretty interesting as a proof of concept for pushing the NES to the limit! The music is mad catchy too.

As a game? Meh at best.
>>
File: tyrannosaurus tex.jpg (75KB, 500x499px) Image search: [Google]
tyrannosaurus tex.jpg
75KB, 500x499px
http://www.nintendoplayer.com/unreleased/tyrannosaurus-tex/
If you guys ever get bored and need a new challenge, try to find Ben John who got lost a few years ago, taking the source code with him.
Thread posts: 57
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.