[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I thought the 50hz thing was just a meme. But Sonic on the Mega

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 1

File: Photo0189.jpg (144KB, 800x480px) Image search: [Google]
Photo0189.jpg
144KB, 800x480px
I thought the 50hz thing was just a meme. But Sonic on the Mega drive is almost unplayable.

Is the slowdown caused by the system, the cartridge, or the TV?

If I play an ntsc version on the mega drive, will it run at the correct speed?
>>
>>2929663
>I thought the 50hz thing was just a meme.
Why would you think a documented technological specification is a meme? Of course it makes a difference you fucking moron.
>>
>>2929663
PAL video signals are 50hz. If you want to play games at the proper speed, get a TV and console that support NTSC.
>>
>>2929812
He thought it being noticeable was a meme, dumb shit.
>>
>>2929663
It's the system. It can be modded for ntsc, but I don't know what happens when ntsc stuff is played on a pal tv. Weirdness happens the other way.
>>
>>2929819
Why would he think a difference of 10hz in scanning frequency wouldn't be noticeable? It's almost a 20% decrease in refresh rate.
>>
>>2929663
>If I play an ntsc version on the mega drive, will it run at the correct speed?
No, since frequency is defined by the console and not the game. You'll need to switch (solder) a jumper inside to have it run at 60Hz. Then (nearly) all your games will run exactly like the "NTSC" versions, since there are no actual "versions" when it comes to code (see: nearly all ROMs are JUE).
>>
>>2930284
This, and don't forget get an RGB cable. PAL TVs supported 60Hz signals for a long time so when switching to 60Hz you'll have no issue and get the best signal and color, unless you use a pre-80s CRT or something (60Hz could be messy).
Any other signal (composite, RF) will result in a black and white image on every set when played at 60Hz, because the console sends chroma and luma at non-standard intervals so any TV (even NTSC ones) would fail to get both.

Of course, if you're planning to use 60Hz RGB, European HDTVs are picky to what kind of signals you can feed them, but you really shouldn't play old consoles on them with the stock cables.
>>
>>2930284
>>2930327

I've modded my Megadrive Model 2 with a 50/60Hz switch and connected it to the tv with a RGB scart. Looks great on both crt and hdtv.

>>2929663
>But Sonic on the Mega drive is almost unplayable.

Care to elaborate on that?
>>
>>2930337
>Care to elaborate on that?

Just trying to look cool.
>>
>>2930327
Oh, you should also save another jumper for the "language" bit, so you can also play Japanese games. Thing is, some later games had region locking which checked the refresh rate and the language bit. It goes like this:

60Hz + English = NTSC US
50Hz + English = PAL
60Hz + Japanese = NTSC JP
50Hz + Japanese = Unused

This means you can't play European region locked games like Sonic 3 (there are many others, >>2930284 has no idea) in 60Hz unless you lock it on to S&K, which is region free.

You COULD flip the switch while the console is on to play those games at 60Hz, and with some it might even work because they leave enough processing power free to execute the CRAM sync code (I won't go into detail) and didn't even attempt to optimize the music, like Megaman: The Wily Wars.

Some other games like Aladdin are region locked and they run fairly well, but since the music was optimized, it plays faster than normal. Then there are games like Sonic that really tax your system so switching from 50Hz to 60Hz makes the game glitch like crazy because it can't keep up. Choose your own library well.

>>2930337
>hdtv
An early HDTV I got worked fine with 60Hz signals from RGB SCART, the newer one I got despises them, and even when I can get it to work the framerate is unfathomably bad, like cutting in half the already cut in half 480i bad.
You shouldn't play pre-6th gen consoles on HDTV anyway, unless you have a scaler.

>Care to elaborate on that?

If you're used to 60Hz Sonic then yes 50Hz is a huge letdown, but it won't magically stop being fun. Of course 60Hz is preferable, but you can't use composite to see the dithering effects.
>>
>>2930359
>Then there are games like Sonic that really tax your system so switching from 50Hz to 60Hz makes the game glitch like crazy
Aren't all Sonic games JUE anyway - save for a couple (3, Spinball)? I've never noticed any glitches doing that in say, Sonic 2.
Also, switching the language while the console is running can be fun, you can see Streets of Rage / Bare Knuckle's title change in-between demos (and the intro text can turned into a mixture of English and Japanese as well).
>>
>>2930359
s/English/Export
>>
>>2930367
>Aren't all Sonic games JUE anyway

That doesn't have anything to with what I'm talking about. Every Sonic game is the same, code wise. If you start Sonic 2 in 50Hz, and THEN switch to 60Hz it'll schitz out because it's executing the CRAM delaying routine (which sort of acts like a vsync) to get rid of the dots on the border below. And it's doing it on TOP of the game, in 60Hz, which means 10 times more than it was meant to be executed. Being Sonic a resource heavy game per se, it can't end well.

Of course, if you start in 60Hz, switch to 50Hz and then 60Hz again it will behave normally, but you will also see the CRAM dots because that expensive routine is not executed.
>>
>>2929663

Sure it runs ever so slightly slower on PAL, but "unplayable" is a MASSIVE over-exaggeration
>>
>>2930381
It's not just the slowdown, but also the incorrect aspect ratio and the much more annoying flicker.
>>
>>2930381
That is what I was getting at. While there is a difference, it's nothing game breaking.
>>
>>2929663
>guaranteed replies from retarded buttfrustrated yuropoors
good job OP
>>
>>2930373
Oh, yes, I've seen the dots before indeed. Thanks for the clarification, dude.
>>
shit tier system doesn't run games made for autists correctly. Sega!
>>
>>2929828
Youll likely get no picture. Tho my ps1 would play NTSC games In black and white
>>
>>2930508
>Youll likely get no picture

It'll work but you'll get black and white no matter what if you don't step it up to RGB.
>>
>>2929835
It wasn't mentioned in the description on ebay
>>
>>2930327
I've played plenty of PAL60 games and NTSC consoles on PAL TVs for over ten years now, first on a CRT and then on a HDTV. For much of that time, I was using them through composite. I never had a black and white picture or any other issues. My HDTV even accepts NTSC signals via RF. No CRT that I've tried does that though.

Many TVs don't have a SCART socket wired for s-video though, so if you use an unmodified s-video to SCART adapter to hook up a console you will get a black and white picture.
>>
>>2931596
If you mod an European Megadrive for 60Hz though, nothing will ever make it display color on composite/RF on that mode. Unless you specifically change the console's master clock and replace the crystal oscillator. But then you would not have color over 50Hz's composite/RF.

I had a CRT that took NTSC 240p but not 480i, and a consumer Trinitron that took both. Many CRTs who don't have a double SCART slot do feature a mode essentially for S-Video so that both RGB and S-Video can go through it.

>No CRT that I've tried does that though.
That's strange. What did it do?
>>
>>2929815
>proper speed
If you want to play a game without clipped graphics, get a TV and console that support PAL
>>
>>2931623
It didn't pick up anything. It was as if I searched for a channel with nothing plugged into the RF socket.
>>
>>2931765
You sure you checked into every possible band? Did PAL consoles modded for 60Hz show up?
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.