[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

recommend me some old playstation games

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 419
Thread images: 40

I don't have any consoles, but I have a buttload of PS2 games I'd like to go back and replay

I also want to get some games I haven't played yet
Some of my favorites include SSX3, ratchet and clank series, kingdom hearts, ffx/x-2/xii, jade cocoon 2, dark cloud 2
On my list to get is
Bully
Silent Hill 2
San Andreas
SOTC
Psychonauts
Katamari
Persona 4 (do I need to play the others to "get" this?)

Also interested in some -exceptional- PS1 games, though I'm more interested in PS2 games

If you don't think PS2 is retro fight me
>>
nigga do you enjoy sucking dicks? we have this discussion every single day HIDE
>>
I don't need to fight you, PS2 wasn't released in 1999 or earlier.

Also you're kind of a faggot, some bad taste in games... ratched and clank, kingdom hearts, ffx... how atrocious.
>>
>>2929571
it was released 15 years ago, it's retro now
you can kick and scream all you want
>>
>>2929573
You can't argue with these fucking retards. They have no grasp on basic logic.
>>
>>2929573
>>2929580
>There are 4 posters in this thread.

Don't samefag your own thread, dude. We don't make the rules here.

See the sticky. PS2 isn't retro within the context of this board:

>With the release of the 8th generation of consoles, the Sega Dreamcast will now be considered "retro", though the remainder of the sixth generation (Xbox, PS2, GameCube) will not.
>>
>>2929606
The OP and one other post belong to me, but okay
>>
File: vr.jpg (33KB, 320x320px) Image search: [Google]
vr.jpg
33KB, 320x320px
If it ain't released in 1999 or earlier. It doesn't belong here.
Don't like it? Fuck off
>>
>>2929573
>>2929606
this thread was probably made by one of the "no dreamcast allowed" autists to reinforce their slippery slope theory
>>
File: Remember6thgen.png (1MB, 2720x2920px) Image search: [Google]
Remember6thgen.png
1MB, 2720x2920px
>>2929565
I really question the taste of anyone that has an opinion that PS2 had that many great games. 6th gen in general was just meh and completely dominated by PC while seeing the death of arcades.

It's the beginning of modern games. Both graphically and by how you play the games.
>>
File: 4L_D5ny5Vi8.jpg (80KB, 1300x863px) Image search: [Google]
4L_D5ny5Vi8.jpg
80KB, 1300x863px
>>2929880
I can't tell what's more head-up-ass-screaming-la-la-la retarded: Your post or that factually inaccurate image rife with the spelling errors of the middle school fedora-clad redditor that made it.
>>
>>2929880
>It's the beginning of modern games. Both graphically and by how you play the games.
I always considered the 5th gen the beginning of modern games, I mean graphically, but it's not like it means something now.
>I really question the taste of anyone that has an opinion that PS2 had that many great games
The widest available console ever, many series went from PSX to PS2. No other secrets.
>>
>>2929964
Grew up with the PS2 huh? Either why you seem to have quite an attachment seeing as your post is all subjective opinion.
>>
>>2929970

There's a huge gap between how games were made in the retro days and how they're made in the PS2 era through today. That's really the divider between retro and non-retro, not graphics. If it wasn't for the Dreamcast, 1999/2000 would be a perfect cut off point.
>>
IS THERE NO MODERATION ON THIS BOARD?
>>
>>2932184
Longtime vr lurker here, I've seen the 'made differently' point brought up before many times but I've not seen any explainations yet. What is the difference? From my perspective there are more similarities between the ps2 and n64/psx than there are similarities between n64/snes.
>>
/vr/ =! retro gaming
/vr/ = pre-2000 gaming
>>
>>2932487

Look at any N64 platformer and then something like Jak & Daxter.

The N64 platforms were focused on having several separate worlds that all made sense in their little closed environment. Jak, on the other hand, is all about having this HUGE SPRAWLING WORLD that didn't always flow right but ITS HUGE.

It's a natural progression, and Jak 1's a good game regardless, but it's always felt to me like once GTA came out it was always about MORE, BIGGER = BETTER in all games. Not that it's inherently wrong (or even wrong in practice), but it's definitely a shift in thinking.

On another hand, N64 games and PS1 games always felt like "We don't know what we're doing yet, so let's just make a bunch of ideas and see what we can do with them", whereas by the PS2 era, a lot had already been ironed out so there was a lot less experimentation, and by PS3 especially nearly none. I feel like the PS1 era is closer to early games at least in that respect, since it did help pioneer some new stuff.

Hopefully someone comes along and explains it better because I'm probably talking out of my ass
>>
>>2932494
That actually makes a lot of sense. I definitely see the argument the cutoff being there, since most of the experimentation starts dropping off, but it's also a huge shame that the cutoff means we can't talk about Katamari Damacy or Eternal Darkness anywhere good on 4chan.
>>
>>2932489
Exactly. I don't get why some people struggle with this. You wouldn't go to /s and demand that trannies be allowed or something because you consider them to be women.
>>
>>2932501

It is, maybe once we get a generation or two more down there will be a PS2-PS4 or so board.
>>
not retro
o
t

r
e
t
r
o
>>
>>2929573
>This board is for the discussion of classic, or "retro" games. Retro gaming means consoles, computer games, arcade games (including pinball) and any other forms of video games on platforms launched in 1999 and earlier.

What part of this you don't understand?
>>
>>2932474
Of course there is. Didn't you see how quickly the mod/janitor deleted that picture making fun of mods/janitors? Didn't you see how quickly they deleted two posts related to some pissing contest in a Resident Evil thread about some minor drama most of /vr/ doesn't know or care about?

We have mods/janitors, they are just completely incompetent. And before some cocksucker comes back with the "not paid" argument, you can get fired from volunteer positions if you are incompetent as well. Just because you offer to do a job for free doesn't mean people have to tolerate your halfassed efforts.
>>
>>2933461
Thanks for the bump, dipshit.
>>
Ratchet & Clank rocks!
My personal favorites on the system are
Crash Bandicoot, Smashcourt Tennis, Katamari Damacy, Jak series, Sly series, Dragon Ball Z Budokai series, and FIFA series
Also you can play San Andreas online with samp or MTA. theres still plenty of servers
>>
NOT RETRO

SAGED
REPORTED
HIDDEN

>>>/v/
>>>/trash/
>>
>>2929565
Holy shit PS2 is not retro. You cannot talk about fucking San Andreas and Persona 4 on this board. We're already pretty heavily skewed towards talking about 4th and 5th gen console games, if we allow 6th gen consoles then threads about older console and PC games will get completely pushed out.

Report and ignore.
>>
1st gen, 2nd gen- historical, playable with nostalgia googles

3rd gen, 4rd gen- playable
geniunely good 2D games and a few 3D games that don't require nostalgia to be enjoyed

5th gen, 6th gen- very playable
perfectioning of 2D graphics, great advancements in 3D graphics

7th-8th gen
not retro
>>
File: sotsi.jpg (25KB, 585x389px) Image search: [Google]
sotsi.jpg
25KB, 585x389px
Not retro and never will be.
>>
come on its 2016 everybody.
its been a whole lot of years since the PS2 was released. nobody discusses 6th gen games anymore.
>>
>>2933480
Pedophilia is okay.
>>
File: 1106688221277.jpg (63KB, 556x617px) Image search: [Google]
1106688221277.jpg
63KB, 556x617px
>>2929565
>trying to talk about a game from 2008 on /vr/
>>
>>2933523
>>2933516
what ?
>>
Hey /vr/, tired of faggots like OP? Join me in yelling at Hiro until he gets us some non-retarded mods/janitors!

>>>/qa/417756

Watch how quickly the mod/janitor will delete this post to cover his own ass!

The Wii thread I posted this in was quickly deleted, I wonder if the mod/janitor will do the same here to cover his ass?
>>
>>2929880
>online paywall
SegaNet did it before XBOX Live.
>>
>>2933531
Lots of shit did it before Xbox. Nothing was actual successful till Xbox.
>>2933487
Ignoring arcades and PC?
>>
>>2933694
I don't remember anything before Dreamcast charging for netplay. Can you show some examples?
>>
>>2933694
what do you want me to say? arcade technology is more or less on par with console generations. (Naomi, Triforce, NeoGeo)
on PC games Amiga and DOS have a pretty cool library i guess ! Dont know much about old PCs...
>>
>>2933715
Satellaview
SegaNet
XBAND

To name a few. Others out there. Netlink I don't think had paywall but I don't know.

>>2933715
>arcade technology is more or less on par with console generations.
Uunderage pls.
>>
>>2933769
Well, Satellaview wasn't meant for online gaming, and Xband was an unofficial accessory.

Sega was the first company to push (optional) charged online multiplayer, yet you could still use your own DC-compatible ISP instead. M$ made it mandatory to play Xbox online however.
>>
>>2933769
im not underage
why dont you actually say something ? sure arcades might have been more powerful than consoles but there wasnt a huge architectural difference.
>>
>>2929880
>invented on-disc content

Uh, we kind had discs storing content since over a hundred years.
>>
>>2933804
It means content on the disc you can't access without paying to unlock it later.
>>
>>2933796
Microsoft's XBox live was still the first successful one. Also it's still around today.
>>2933797
>why dont you actually say something ? sure arcades might have been more powerful than consoles but there wasnt a huge architectural difference.
No you're underage or 3rd world if you think Arcades were like consoles.

Dumb kids like you think 3d came in with 5thgen when in fact games like Virtual Fighter were huge in the early 90s along with earlier examples.
>>
>>2933814
>It means content on the disc you can't access without paying to unlock it later.

In that case, Sonic 3 & Knuckles did it half a decade earlier.
>>
>>2933854
>cartridge
>disc

Is game genie locked content on disc too, champ?
>>
>>2933854
Um, no it wasn't. S&K was a stand-alone game that could combine with S3 to change both games. None of the content from S&K was hidden away in Sonic 3's cartridge though.
>>
>>2929880
Too bad none of those nitpicks affect how well most of the games still look/play. Try harder, champ.
>>
>>2933884
Pretty sure PS2 is still 480i garbage, slugger.
>>
>this thread is still up

IS PS2 Finally allowed?
>>
>>2933893
No, mods are just asleep.

Fucking report this thread.
>>
So, now that PS2 is finally retro..
Has anyone played the resident evil outbreak games? Should I play them solo?
>>
>>2933889
In your opinion, sport.
>>
>>2933902
Absolutely not.

We cannot have people talking about motherfucking San Andreas and SotC on this board.
>>
>>2933938
Naw I"m pretty sure it's a technical limitation not an opinion, kid.
>>
>>2929880
literally no one had an e-reader
>>
>>2933956
Your opinions are completely worthless and cancerous. Next time please insert them directly in the garbage.
>>
>>2934074
I did

Had to unlock them new SMB3 stages.
>>
>>2933867
>None of the content from S&K was hidden away in Sonic 3's cartridge though.

Almost all the S&K music is present in Sonic 3, and you can most of the level names from S&K too (Mushroom Hill was named Mushroom Valley). Some of the levels were also there but glitched since they removed a lot of them to save space, but you can find some stuff in there like the boss of Flying Battery being present. Also the knuckles-only paths are there on almost every level, just inaccessible.
>>
>>2929880

You some kind of fag with really shitty taste
>>
Can't we talk about the PS2 no /v/ or maybe a PS2 thread on /vg/?

I went back to playing it because of PCSX2.
>>
>>2934116
Ha! Good luck.
>>
>>2934151
>Rule of Rose

He said good.
>>
>>2934159
Eh, it's an acquired taste. No harm in trying it, though.
>>
>>2934228
Good list, but I'd definitely recommend Red Faction 1 instead of 2 for the singleplayer.
>>
Jak & Daxter was pretty fun for a Banjo clone.
>>
>>2935273

4THEPLAYERS
>>
>>2935274
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39pK2MV_sfs
>>
If PS2 explicitly is not on-topic here, it says a lot about the state of the board that this thread has nevertheless been up for two days or so.

But this is a problem all over 4chan now.
>>
>>2935303
>maybe if I keep shitting up a thread I have no interest in, mods will come to save the day

On this day they looked down upon thee, and whispered "no".
>>
>>2929876
The Dreamcast shouldn't be allowed on /vr/ if the ps2 isn't. If the ps2 isn't retro, neither is the Dreamcast
>>
>>2935358
DC: 1998
PS2: 2000
/vr/: 1999 and earlier

This is not a difficult concept to grasp.
>>
>>2935360
>DC: 1998
What was 9/9/99?
>>
>>2935360
Then why wasn't the Dreamcast originally allowed?
>>
>>2935363
The American launch date
Came out in Japan first bucko
>>
>>2933461
actually, hiro has stated (or at least implied) that all meta discussion about a board should (or can) no take place on the board itself
>>
>>2935369
>no take place
take place*
>>
>>2935364
Because instead of applying the date rule, they justified not allowing it by saying it was 6th gen. Lots of anons got confused because DC was well under the deadline and the mods unlodged the stick from their asses for a hot minute to update the sticky with equally confusing language justifying why DC now was allowed.

Whoever wrote those stickies should be fucking shot for mentioning anything about gens and not being crystal motherfucking clear that the date is the only rule of law here for determining retro.
>>
>>2935376
>download and play FFXII on my PS2
>finish it, play a good 100 hours on it
>oh good I've finally played that and never have to do it again

>look up online
>theres fucking version with zodiac job system
>FUCK
>>
File: hahahaha fucking idiot.jpg (50KB, 340x371px) Image search: [Google]
hahahaha fucking idiot.jpg
50KB, 340x371px
>>2935409
Except I never announced my report. And you just did.
>>
I feel kinda burned out on games after finishing Breath of Fire 3

should I play DMC to get that curayzee feel again or should I do something else until I fancy vidya again?
>>
>>2935437
Once you're burnt out, thats it. ITS OGRE.
I got burnt out back in the 2000's. Never recovered. Now I just shitpost on /vr/ hoping one day my spark will come back
>>
>>2929565
Super fucking awful thread

PS2 is not retro, read the rules and fuck off
>>
>>2935442
The only reason it's awful is because faggots like you shitting it up
>>
File: fuck3.png (207KB, 364x250px) Image search: [Google]
fuck3.png
207KB, 364x250px
>>2935440
well shit, maybe I should focus on something else until I get the craving back
>>
>>2935461
The only reason the thread awful is because faggots like you shitting the board up
>>
Can we talk about hype for PS2? That's allowed right?

http://money.cnn.com/1999/03/01/life/playstation/

>New console system will reportedly feature graphics on par with "Toy Story"

>March 1, 1999: 5:29 p.m. ET
>>
>>2935470
They had me sold with DVD playing capabilities.

I had always seen this PS1 attachment for the PS1 in magazines that played video of some sort but was a poor kid and couldnt afford it.
>>
File: Untitled.png (133KB, 965x823px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
133KB, 965x823px
>>2935409
>>
>>2935440
Does this actually happen to people? I get burnt out every few months but I just do something else for a while and always find something new to play. Maybe if you're a really intense autist and refuse to play non-/vr/ stuff, you'd eventually get too bored with it all.
>>
File: 1441611350868.jpg (35KB, 601x601px) Image search: [Google]
1441611350868.jpg
35KB, 601x601px
>>2933480
I know right, no one starts NES threads anymore.
>>
>>2935349
Ok, then why not have threads about the latest Call of Duty too?

If a thread clearly doesn't belong on the board yet stays up for days, then it's evidence of serious problems with moderation.
>>
File: CallOfDuty3-OST-Score_Cover.jpg (531KB, 1417x1417px) Image search: [Google]
CallOfDuty3-OST-Score_Cover.jpg
531KB, 1417x1417px
>>2929565
I REALLY recommend this completely OVERLOOKED AND UNDERRATED GEM, OP!!
>>
>>2936056
>>2936067

Sup Samefag
>>
File: fexor.jpg (41KB, 426x439px) Image search: [Google]
fexor.jpg
41KB, 426x439px
>over 100 posts of autists screaming "NOT RETRO"

i wish you faggots could just report, hide and carry on with your business
>>
So is 2000 the new cut-off date since mods deleted Xbox and GBA threads but leave this one up? Or is the janny just a Sonyfag?
>>
bumpun
>>
File: modding.jpg (128KB, 512x512px) Image search: [Google]
modding.jpg
128KB, 512x512px
>le not retro faec
>le badly age meem
>le report and sage
>>
Bumparino
>>
>>2929880
Didn't Pokemon games start doing locked content since Blue/Red/Green with Mew? You could even say it popularized it, I knew a bunch of kids that went to events to get the super rare legendaries
>>
>>2929565
THPS m8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mD7BMhbvnLs
>>
>>2936327

Maybe the mods left it up to see what kind of discussion would culminate from it. 6th gen is in a blindspot right now. Too old for people to actually discuss it on /v/, and too recent for /vr/.

>>2937646

I think you're probably too old to be making posts like that. That toxic attitude isn't improving the situation at all.
>>
>>2937759
I like the n64 version better
>>
>>2937764
Dreamcast version is pretty great too, arguably the best version.
>>
>>2936096
Two different people can't be a samefag, Redditor.

>>2936168
The thread's been up for days, do you really think reporting is working? /vr/ does not have functional moderation anymore, and neither do most other boards.
>>
>>2937756
It's not necessarily locked if you can gameshark a Mew, or use in-game glitches to catch one.
>>
>>2938301
You can pirate DLC too, but being intentionally locked is the point.
>>
Tip for the trolls: this thread has been ignored by the janitor because the OP technically also asks for PS1 games. You could make a "recommend me some Atari 2600 and PS3 games" thread and it'd stay up for weeks. It's basically the same old/new thing exploit that we use for remakes of old games.
>>
>>2938330
Nah, I'm pretty sure it's just because the janitor is a Sonygger. There was a PS2 games only thread that hit bump limit a few months back.
>>
>>2938909
>try to make a ps2 game thread
>get banned by all boreds for 3 days

try it faggot
>>
>>2938909
ps2 came out after 1999, so not retro
>>
>>2929565

Not retro faggot.
>>
>>2938942
>muh arbitrary cutoff date for literally no reason

SURE THIS LOOKS LIKE A HILL TO DIE ON
>>
http://www.4chan.org/rules#vr

vr/ - Retro Games

1. This board is for the discussion of classic, or "retro" games. Retro gaming means consoles, computer games, arcade games (including pinball) and any other games on platforms launched in 1999 or earlier. Sixth generation and later consoles are not considered retro.
>>
>>2932610
The part where they flat out break their own rule by including the Dreamcast in the very same post.
>>
>>2929565
Get Ico, too, OP. Great game by the guys behind SotC. Both games very subtly tie into each other, and while they look similar, their atmospheres are undeniably different.

Also if you liked Dark Cloud 2, you'll love Dark Cloud 1. It's plot is simpler, but its gameplay felt tighter for me. Great challenging game.

Oh, and don't limit yourself to Silent Hill 2. Silent Hill for the PSX is really good, and Silent Hill 3 is arguably the scariest of the franchise, if the story isn't as strong.
Silent Hill 4 is also underrated as fuck, and has some great moments.
>>
4 days later and this thread is still up proving that mods are nonexistent faggots.
>>
>>2939001
The simplest to make this thread die is wipe it.
>>
Nishimura seems to either have no control over the site or can't bother to do anything or doesn't think anything needs to be done. Mods have either stopped working or only occasionally show up to delete something that doesn't need deleting. The whole site is completely adrift and it doesn't look like that's going to change. Meanwhile 7+1chan is run by pedophile sociopaths and going down in flames and bleeding users due to technical disasters.

I think this whole imageboard thing is coming to an end.
>>
>>2939039
>I think this whole imageboard thing is coming to an end.
People have been saying this since fucking 2003, it's not happening.
>>
>>2939039

The mods deleted a Sonic shitposting thread yesterday, so it's not like they're completely gone.
>>
>>2939039
>>2939057
I used to be pretty optimistic that 4chan wouldn't die.

I always thought that if it did I would just log on one day and it’d be gone. Moot arrested or some insane politician forcing the site down.

What I didn’t think would happen is a slow death over a decade. That is what’s happening. This place is Reddit 2.0. I knew that once I stopped seeing the racist banners and especially when that one with the swastika on it got taken down. That whole community from the early flash days in the late 90s that pretty much made up what the 4chan user base was is gone. I don’t think flash sites are a thing now? Sites like ebaumsworld and Albino Blacksheep are dead. Instead we have stuff like Deviant Art, Tumblr, etc today. Those along with Reddit are what the primary user base is made off. That fringe element still exists here so there is that.

4chan’s days are numbered in my opinion. It’s essentially a dump for other sites instead of an alternative to forums.

>>2939068
Probably a spam report thing that was automated.
>>
>>2933797
here's a few examples

>1987
>console systems on market: NES, SMS, 7800, PC-Engine
pretty standard machines, simple PSG audio, single processor, low storage space and RAM, somewhat low clockrates (like, 3MHz, 7MHz), single background layer, limited sprites on screen, very low color palette
and then you have shit like fucking OutRun in the arcade, which has two 12MHz processors, FM sound, can sling hundreds of scaled sprites everywhere without a care, more RAM than in all of those machines above combined, multiple BG layers

>1996
>console systems on market: PS1, Saturn, N64
can render ~100,000 polygons per second, generally less, max possible is around ~300,000
and then you have the fucking Model 3, which delivers near-PS2 visuals and could put around out 1 million polygons per second (generally less), it pretty much had the most advanced video hardware on the market that year

the guy who ported R-Type to the Spectrum mentioned how the Speccy was about as powerful as the sound CPU on the R-Type arcade board

also, arcade machines up until the mid-90s often had dedicated processors for single tasks (eg, OutRun's road drawing hardware, something that was usually done at home in software by fiddling with the background layer), and until PC-based machines became the norm, they often had separate daughterboards linked together
There were some notable architectural differences, even beyond the massive gulf in power.

>>2933756
The Naomi and Triforce are from an era when arcades were dying, and console visuals had caught up enough, so they're directly based on console hardware for budget reasons.
As for the Neo-Geo, it was a budget solution in the arcade, allowing arcade operators to put several cheaper games in one cab (so, more games on the floor in less floor space for less cost).
SNK did a marvelous job marketing the expensive by home standards machine as a luxury console when they made the AES (it was also more powerful than other consoles).
>>
>>2938972
I'd argue Dark Cloud 1 is among the worst games on the platform, but that's just me. :-/
>>
>>2939084
4chan slipped into a collective coma when Moot started getting all weird about two years ago. It's been on life support ever since. This place has always been shit, but after my ten years here I feel like it's only recently become unbearably shit. But reddit and tumblr have gotten worse at the same rate. The whole internet's just getting worse. I dunno. This is all subjective. The fuck do I know.
>>
>>2939167
Seen that episode on South Park about safe spaces? Sums it up.
>>
>>2938967
>The Dreamcast (Japanese: ドリームキャスト Hepburn: Dorīmukyasuto?) is a home video game console released by Sega on November 27, 1998 in Japan, September 9, 1999 in North America, and October 14, 1999 in Europe.
>>
>>2933797
>im not underage

Yet simple grammar seems lost on you.
>>
File: UyQVhKc.jpg (97KB, 720x960px) Image search: [Google]
UyQVhKc.jpg
97KB, 720x960px
>>2937868
Or maybe mods decided that it's ok to have one PS2 thread and all you fucking autists should just shut the fuck up?
>>
>>2939197
td
>>
>>2939084
Yeah, I would not be surprised if I come by one day and the lights are out. It would be extremely sad, but will just have to move on like most of the old-timers.
>>
>>2939197
thanks doc
>>
>this thread has gone on this long
Proof that mods don't give a shit about /vr/ unless it's someone actually trying to get enforce the rules, when they swoop in with the banhammer to get rid of the people trying to ENFORCE THE RULES.

The continued presence of the RCT2 thread despite my many efforts to rid /vr/ of it is proof of this.
>>
>>2932610
>M-MAYBE IF WE KEEP M-MOVING THE G-GOAL POST
>>
>>2935405
>>2935409
>>2939197
Three shitposts deleted since the start of the thread, yet the thread itself is alive and kicking.
>>
>>2933956
>crying this much about even the thought of people talking about games you don't like

God change your fucking pampers you baby.
>>
File: vr moderation.jpg (38KB, 514x326px) Image search: [Google]
vr moderation.jpg
38KB, 514x326px
>>2939284
I got banned for reporting an OP that admitted to being born in late 1998.

Hopefully janitor/mod applications open up this year.
>>
>>2939293
The first one, mine, is just a "Remember to report". How's that shitpost?
Report these fucking threads and the shitters that's trying to shit up this thread.
>>
>why I cannot create a Gran Turismo thread in /vp/? It's so arbitrary!
>why I cannot create a steam begging thread on /v/? It's so arbitrary!
>why I cannot create a thread about consoles newer than 1999 in /vr/? It's so arbitrary!
>>
File: 1227869719387.jpg (49KB, 640x711px) Image search: [Google]
1227869719387.jpg
49KB, 640x711px
>>2939039
there are alternatives, but you'd know if you weren't just pretending to be an oldfag

6th gen a best btw
>>
>>2940031
Maybe for PC.

6th gan was pretty bad for consoles and well... arcades died.
>>
>>2940038
ps2 is excellent if you're into fighters, lots of /vr/ ports to it also
>>
>>2940046
>Objectively the PS2 wasn't very good
ARE YOU FUCKING HIGH?

http://vignette4.wikia.nocookie.net/vsrecommendedgames/images/0/06/Recommended_ps2_games.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20151026224949
>>
>>2940067
As I said most all that is 480i garbage with blur filters.

Here’s some tough questions to ask too.

What in that pile is actually unique and innovative? Not just for its generation but actually contributed something to video games.

And second what in the pile could be considered genre defining? Again not in that generation but as a whole.

6th generation and later has very few of these games. Even fewer that fit into both those categories. 6th generation is essentially mediocrity as with the later gens. It started it.

Pic related is one of the few stand outs.
>>
>>2940090
I'm pretty sure videogame genres were defined way before we had more than 8 bits.
>>
>>2940098
They weren't. The shmup genre for example didn't start and end with asteroids.

That's a very narrow minded way to think which is typical of 6th gen kids. You have very little innovation. I truly feel sorry if a 6thgen console or later was your first.
>>
File: uwot.png (98KB, 300x197px) Image search: [Google]
uwot.png
98KB, 300x197px
>>2940090
>As I said most all that is 480i garbage with blur filters.

>blasting a non-retro console for its technical merits on /vr/ of all places
>>
>>2940106
Happens with retro games too. Almost all just run at 240p so. But there's some wacky resolutions out there and timings.
>>
>>2940090
Okami.
>>
>>2940115
Can't really say if it fits both. It is unique.

I'd probably say Shadow of the Colossus would also fit both.
>>
>>2940123
And Devil May Cry is probably the first game of its type.
>>
>>2940129
It's just an evolved beat'em up. Not really unique.

It's style and art was kinda. There were a few games that sort of had that look. Especially with the enemies.
>>
>>2940123
Yeah, well, it can be considered an adventure game, with puzzle elements but doesn't have a defined category, it can stand by its own, like Ico and Shadow of the Colossus.

And that's what put them above all the other games.
>>
>>2940138
I've seen the comparison to Zelda games. The gameplay really isn't something unique, outside of the combat.
>>
>>2940129
True.

There are very few "new" games on the PS2, it's a consolidation of what was already there.
>>
>>2940140
I'm not familiar with Zelda, but I doubt it have the same level of art quality.
>>
>>2940146
It's debatable. WW is a beautiful game.

I don't think Okami fits both. Not a big enough difference from other games. It has a unique style/art and combat system. That's what it has in context to those two questions.
>>
>>2940150
If you consider that, no game is unique!
>>
On the way to die
>>
I like French fried
>>
One more stone to go
>>
I tired to rhyme
>>
Though my rhyme isn't good at all
>>
Resistance is futile
>>
>>2940129
>Devil May Cry is probably the first game of its type
Look-up Rising Zan for the PS1.
>>
Lithuania over all
>>
Who could know, so dumb was pole
>>
File: Hitler%27s_Third_Reich_1953.jpg (167KB, 1425x625px) Image search: [Google]
Hitler%27s_Third_Reich_1953.jpg
167KB, 1425x625px
The best empire is the Third Empire
>>
Praise for the better future
>>
Tomatoes
>>
hir ai em
in ze lend ov e moanin var
>>
Regulation
Over nation
>>
>>2940254
Bumplimit is 500
>>
A
>>
>>2940135
>It's just an evolved beat'em up.
God Hand is more like an evolved Beat 'em Up
>>
DUDE
NONRETRO
LMAO
>>
>>2940260
Kek, even better!
>>
>>2940267
ur mom is an evolved beat'em up
>>
ULTIMATE SOLUTION
>>
>>2940308
BENIS REBOLUZION XDDDDSS
>>
File: malk.jpg (125KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
malk.jpg
125KB, 640x480px
GAMES AGE LIKE MALK
>>
Q
>>
Z
>>
>>2940339
When in doubt, smear shit on the walls until you reach the bump limit.

Excellent specimen of 'tism right here.
>>
File: image.jpg (47KB, 256x318px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
47KB, 256x318px
>>
Yet this thread still exists.
>>
gas the kikes
>>
Not retro, retard
>>
>>2939989
All the memes are arbitrary.
>>
File: 4L_U5fq0j1R.png (32KB, 420x294px) Image search: [Google]
4L_U5fq0j1R.png
32KB, 420x294px
>>2941079
Yes it is. Nice try though, jackass.
>>
hello?
>>
>>2941240
hi
>>
>>2941246
Oh good we're still doing this.

I've never seen anything so pedantic and childish.
>>
PS2 is retro now.

Deal with it, spergs.
>>
>>2941256
They won't, though. They'll keep pissing into their own mouths until the board dies.
>>
>>2939158
Yeah given the choice still prefer actraiser. I just liked that dark cloud was a 3d rendition of a similar concept.
I'm also a sucker for straightforward games, and dark cloud was definitely that.
>>
I'm not 4chan's owner so I won't say what should or shouldn't be allowed on /vr/, one thing though: if this is how 6th gen posters are going to be ("deal with it spergs! you're all autists for not breaking the rules of the board! 6th gen is retro reeeee"), then I personally am not sure if I really want 6th gen people on here, they seem rather barbaric.
>>
>>2941518
Its the typical kneejerk reaction to being told "NOT RETRO" all the time, justified or otherwise. Note a lot of posters here came to 4chan specifically to get away from similar comments on more formal forums, where even the slightest off topic post would get blasted.
If this board is going to survive, the rules are either gonna have to be either changed or reinforced.

The mods just hanging this board out to dry is what's killing it.
>>
>>2941518
> they seem rather barbaric
You mean like most of 4chan.
>>
Metal gear solid: 1, 2, and 3.
>>
>>2941726

Peace Walker is the best MGS game though
>>
>>2941729
I'd have to only slightly agree with you. I love PW, but honestly I loved 3 more. It's the catalyst to the whole series.
>>
>>2929565
Not retro not /vr/ mods you're ducking worthless dick drinkers
>>
>>2929573
Not /vr/ not retro on the board faggot. Take your ssri.
>>
BUMPINO
>>
>>2941729
MGS 1-5 = Amazing GOAT tier

PW = Runner for worst game of all time
>>
>>2941552
I agree. Personally I'm for sixth generation discussion here but ultimately the mods have to decide to allow it or not. They can put up a poll, decide themselves or whatever. But there needs to be certainty.

That said, it is a good idea to have discussions about changing a board's rules. It gives the mods a chance to gauge interest in changes.
>>
>>2942887

But 5 is like Peace Walker except without all the good shit, and a lot of bad design problems.

You = retarded
>>
>>2942887
But you can walk while crouched in Peace Walker.
If that doesn't define the game as GOAT I don't know what does.
>>
>>2929565
Why is this still up? It's a blantant rule violations and mods just don't care. I assume mods here might be 5th and 6th gen kids but fuck, there are rules for a reason. Reported.
>>
>>2943459
Not /vr/
>>
>>2933893
No report this shit
>>
Why is this thread still up? it's like faggots from /v/ are trying to raid and kil lthis board
>>
>>2943532
Oh look, an asshole from /v/ trying to suffocate and kill this board with more pointless "REEE THIS DOESNT FIT MY ARBITRARY DEFINITION OF RETRO" pissfits.

Let us have our retro community. Go back to /v/ and stop shitting up this board. Time passes, you ignorant fuck.
>>
>>2941256
It's almost exactly the same as modern consoles.

>>2941518
Yeah they're making it really clear why they should never be allowed on this board.
>>
PS2 IS RETRO NOW.
SPREAD THE WORD, MAKE MASS THREADS
>>
>>2944415

Sorry, false alarm, the sticky still says PS2 is not retro T_T whyyyy I want my childhood to be retro! it's NOT FAIR
>>
Fuck this discussion...
The Warriors, based on the same name movie is a great game.

You guys look like fucking tumblr... One try to look more special than the other... Who gives a damm if the guy posted on the wrong thread? Answer or ignore, but don't keep doing some neckbeard rage.
>>
>>2943683

>some stupid shithead screaming about other peoples' definitions of retro
>while simultaneously trying to push his own retarded definition of retro

PLEASE KILL YOURSELF
>>
So is Xbox original think about all the cool old games on it.

Like all the star wars titles there is no way to play those these days.

Plus xbox is way better so if ps2 can get to be called retro why not xbox? We even have conkers bad fur day.
>>
File: retro console.jpg (102KB, 800x493px) Image search: [Google]
retro console.jpg
102KB, 800x493px
GUYS THE PS3 IS OFFICIALLY RETRO
>>
>>2944473

The revision PS3 looks so much sexier than the original.

OK, so if I want maximum compatibility, I buy a PS2 phat. But are there any model #s/production runs/manufacturing years to avoid? I want this motherfucker to last for a LOOOOOONG time.

Another thing that would be appreciated is any tip for maintaining that damn motorized disc tray. No, "don't use it" is not a viable option.
>>
>>2944495

Who gives a fuck? Go ask /v/.
>>
>>2944495
Buy a ps4 you can download all the good ps2 games are on there.
>>
>>2944504

Cry moar bitchnigger.
>>
File: P1yDvGN.png (343KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
P1yDvGN.png
343KB, 1920x1080px
>>2944524
>>
>>2944472
WinXP games, Xbox games, PS2 games and GCN games are retro now!
>>
>>2944473
I know you're shitposting but in about two years it will be.
>>
>>2944495
Anecdotally, I LOVE that version of the PS3 but my disc drive died after a year and a half. Granted, I bought it used, soooooo....
>>
File: 画像IPAD 459.jpg (2MB, 2592x1936px) Image search: [Google]
画像IPAD 459.jpg
2MB, 2592x1936px
When PS2 is made a retro game.
It would sell.
>>
>>2944785
wat
>>
>>2944785
i want to play this game
>>
GUYS THE PS4 HAS BEEN OUT FOR MORE THAN 5 MINUTES IT'S RETRO AS FUCK, LET'S TALK ABOUT BLOODBORNE
>>
>>2929565
All this spam from a butthurt /vr/ autist just because this thread exists.

This is why the mods need to delete any threads with post-1999 shit in it, even if it is technically a loophole by being about PS1 too.
>>
>>2945043
It's a shame one turbo-tard feels the need to ruin the whole board for everybody. But I do think it's worth having a discussion about adapting the rules. But it's all over now. At least for a while.
>>
>>2945049

There should be a post-retro board for 6th and 7th gen, now that it's impossible to talk abotu them on /v/, but /vr/ doesn't want them either.
>>
>>2945053
Eh, enough people on /vr/ want it that I think it's worth a shot. If it doesn't work out, we could shit it down again, but I think it could be really nice. Like the way that Xbox thread turned out. Super pleasant!
>>
>>2945065
>xbox thread
>minimal halo discussion.

No shit.
>>
>>2945065

It'd probably spark a huge shitstorm, but anything's worth tryign once, I guess. I still think it'd be better off as it's own board, but it's not like I haven't been wrong before.
>>
>>2945065
I'm sure we could have a pleasant discussion about hardcore pornography. Doesn't mean it is relevant to the board. I also imagine that any pleasantness is a facade, people trying to act super-nice so they can say "See? XBOX threads are OK! Look how nice everyone is!"
>>
>>2945070
See what I mean? It's been nice and not a shitfest. I dunno, I think this community would be a really great place for topics like that. At the very least I think there's a lot of potential!
>>
>>2945073
Yes, a bunch of anime got together and conspired to viciously have a nice discussion about games they like. Those rat bastards.
>>
How about this:

/vr/ - Gens 1~4
/iv/ - Interrim /v/, gens 5~7, new gen gets added once /nv/'s gen dies
/nv/ - New vidya, gen 8

Delete /v/ since it sucks.
>>
>>2945074
No way dumbass. The second that shit is allowed Halo thread will be a thing. You have to be joking right now if you think they wont.

Hell I'll go make Halo thread right now saying how much of trash heap the game is since all it is a gimped Unreal clone with low grav on.
>>
>>2945090
Found the jerk that's starting all these false flag shitpost threads.
>>
>>2945096
That isn't me. Though I think they're funny. Sad that you shits have brought /vr/ to this.
>>
>>2945090
>Unreal clone

At least play the game first before proving how retarded you are.
>>
>>2945123
I have dumbass. It's a consolelized Unreal/Quake clone. Add some dumb story that's barely fluid and filled with filler shit.
>>
SAGED
REPORTED
HIDDEN

PS2 = NOT RETRO

>>>/v/
>>
>>2945167
>>2945141

Yup. He's still here. And still dumb.
>>
>>2945178
>anyone that doesn't like my trash Halo is a spam shitposter

Ok kid.
>>
File: 1405733786063.jpg (176KB, 625x626px) Image search: [Google]
1405733786063.jpg
176KB, 625x626px
>>2945141
>>
>>2945192
>flood bullshit
Ya fuck that game's story and any retard that thinks it's not filler bullshit.
>>
>>2945087

I'd really like to keep gen 5 on /vr/, since it shares much more in common with the past rather than what came after, but otherwise this would be a pretty good solution.
>>
>>2945379
Yeah, but we'd be rid of the Sony kiddies that plague this board if we banned gen 5 and up.
>>
Has anyone else played this little gem?
>>
>>2945408
>Sony kiddies that plague this board

>>>/v/
>>
>>2946904
Sony shitposters are the worst problem on this board. If you disagree you're probably one of the kids that belong on /v/ rather than here.
>>
>>2946947
Nice lazy way to shut down anyone pointing out that you're both wrong and acting irrationally.
>>
>>2946947
>the fanbase bigger than the other two combined causes the more problems

Yeah no shit.
>>
>>2946960
hence why /vr/'s rules should be changed to allow only gen 1-4 and ban gen 5 and up
>>
>>2946992
Why are you still here? You didn't cause enough trouble last night with all those spam threads?
>>
>>2947020
I didn't cause any spam. Also the spammer wants all of gen 6 allowed here. I'm in favor of banning gen 5 to keep Sonyggers and N64 children out.
>>
HOW THE FUCK DOES THIS THREAD HAVE OVER 250 REPLIES?

WHERE ARE THE FUCKING MODS?
>>
>>2946992
Amen brother
>>
>GC thread gets deleted
>PS2 thread still up

PS2 confirmed as retro.
>>
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxddddddddddd
>>
File: 4L_162KUUIK.jpg (31KB, 349x363px) Image search: [Google]
4L_162KUUIK.jpg
31KB, 349x363px
>>2947024
No, you (or he, if you are in fact not last night's serial shitposter) very obviously was the most butthurt of the REE-NOT-RETRO-1999-FOREVER morons and was trying to shit the board up to force moderation because he was pissy about this thread. Which leads me to assume it's you. Because no one is dumb enough to honestly think 5th gen isn't retro, when it's painfully obvious that 6th gen is retro anyway.
>>
>>2929565

GUYS, IT'S JUST BEEN ANNOUNCED! A 6TH GEN BOARD IS BEING CREATED!!!

This is going to solve all of our problems! We will have a place to talk about 6th gen games, and the shitposting that has recently taken over /vr/ will be spread across three boards so it won't be as bad!
>>
File: 4L_nSBjqthe.jpg (22KB, 427x240px) Image search: [Google]
4L_nSBjqthe.jpg
22KB, 427x240px
>>2947031
I honestly don't understand why this thread is still up. They deleted all the other ones about similar consoles. Don't get me wrong, I agree that PS2 is retro, but so are the Cube and Xbox. So I have no idea. Might as well start an actual conversation while we can.

Anybody want to recommend some good multiplayer PS2 games? Been playing a lot of Tony Hawk games lately, looking to mix it up a bit with something new.
>>
>>2947063
Source? Also that doesn't solve the problem, and both boards will die of unuse unless we unite.
>>
>>2947063

Don't play with my heart like this, anon.
>>
>>2947059
No, '80s gaming is retro. Late '90s gaming like PSX, DC and N64 are not retro, unless you were born in the '90s and raised on them (in which case you should be posting on /v/ and leave us oldfags alone). And no, I'm still not the spammer from yesterday, he's probably b& by now.
>>
>>2947095
I'm one of those oldfags. To me, retro is anything 10-15 years old. If I were making the rules, id make it a 12 year limit. Then everyone's happy.

To claim retro is a fixed point in time is to reject reason for self-serving purposes.
>>
I think you're going to have to wait until the next gen for PS2 to be retro.
>>
>>2947076
>and both boards will die of unuse unless we unite.

This is certainly not true.

Also, why would /vr/ die just because there is now a 6th gen board? 6th gen was never allowed here.
>>
>>2947108
It already is.
>>
>>2947067
Timesplitters is awesome.
Might also add champions of norrath gauntlet dark legacy and Dokapon
>>
>>2947113
/vr/ is already dying, if you haven't noticed.
>>
>>2947115

This, my childhood was with the PS2, so it's defiantly retro
>>
>>2947118
Which TimeSplitters do you recommend? Which is your favorite?
>>
>>2947121
Assuming everyone with a different opinion than yours is a child is a great way to appear brash and unintelligent.

[spoilers] I'm pretty fucking old for 4chan's standards [/spoilers]
>>
>>2947129
It helps when I fuck up the spoiler tag by making it plural. More coffee is required. Ugh.
>>
>>2947115
>>2947121

Not until PS5 and Xbox2.
>>
>>2947124
I've seen a lot of people saying that 2 is the best but I prefer Future Perfect.
Any of them is really cool for 4 players fun
>>
>>2947106
Well, you're technically right, retro is a style. What /vr/ should really have been called is /cg/ - Classic Gaming, for all pre-Y2K videogames.
>>
>>2929565
PlayStation 2 is NOT retro. Fuck off.
>>
>>2947121
>"defiantly"

Grab yourself a dictionary son
>>
>>2947149

You'd still have younger people whining about their own nostalgic games not being allowed or called "classics".
>>
>>2947150
It very literally is, in every aspect of the word.

>"but I didn't have one as a kid, and this board is all about whatever I had when I was a snot nosed little brat in the 80s!"

And you still are. It doesn't change reality though.
>>
>>2947157
Read the rules, retard.
>>
>>2947152
Modern classics can go on /v/.

/vr/ is meant for vintage games, the pioneer days of gaming. Always has been and always will be.
>>
>>2947159
When the rules are wrong and conflict with reality, you don't get to use them as a crutch so that you can twist /vr/ to be your own personal nostalgia blog. Stop trying to destroy this community.
>>
>>2947160
So embarrassingly wrong
>>
>>2947164
It is you who is trying to twist /vr/ to fit your description of retro. This is a private owned website, idiot. And it has rules. Get over it.
>>
>>2947150
If it's not retro why do mods delete other threads and not this one?

Get over it ps2 is retro.
>>
>>2947175
Because either the mods are lazy, or a mod posted this on /vr/ to troll.

When you click on this board, the text at the top reads: "This board is for the discussion of classic, or "retro" games. Retro gaming means consoles, computer games, arcade games (including pinball) and any other forms of video games on platforms launched in 1999 and earlier. With the release of the 8th generation of consoles, the Sega Dreamcast will now be considered "retro", though the remainder of the sixth generation (Xbox, PS2, GameCube) will not."

Are you retarded?
>>
>>2947175
because of the loophole in the OP where he asks for ps1 games also

the GB/GBC/GBA thread didn't get deleted either
>>2942056
>>
>>2947182
>because of the loophole in the OP where he asks for ps1 games also
That's pathetic. Don't get me wrong; I'm not blaming you. I'm just saying that is top-class faggotry on 4chan's behalf. Lame.
>>
>>2929565
>PS2 in retro gaming board
When you want to talk about cameras, do you post related threads on the weapons board?
>>
>>2947175

>/vr/
>mods

likely the threads that get deleted are the ones that get the most reports, but there aren't any active mods on /vr/ with any criteria.

The recent "allow 6th gen" threads that were made today (probably by the same person) have been deleted, but again, it's probably because they got a lot of reports for blatant shitposting.
>>
>>2947180
They forgot to update the sticky that's all, ps2 is retro now.
>>
>>2940361
>>2941256
6th gen should be allowed
>>2945087
this is a pretty cool idea but i doubt it will get anywhere. as long as there are manchild saying 6th gen isnt retro, it will stay in that dead zone. Too old for /v/ & /vg/, too new for /vr/
>>
>>2947175
twitch memes xd confirmed retro"!!!!
>>2937736
>>2937736
>>
>2000 was 16 years ago
>still saying PS2 isn't retro
>>
>>2947192
Then why don't we help the /vr/ community and agree to start reporting these shitty non-retro threads?
>>
>>2947201

This, PS2 was my childhood, it NEEDS to be retro, fuck everyone else
>>
>>2947194
>>2947195
>>2947201
Probably the same fag.

>Calling the owners of 4chan manchild

Nice.
>>
>>2947204
>Wah wah wah, I want PS2 to be retro on 4chan, wah wah wah!

Why not just post about the PS2 in /v/? What's so wrong with that?
>>
>>2947208
Give that a try. I honestly dare you.
>>
>>2947201
Your 240i movies aren't retro games, dumbass.
>>
>>2947202

because you can't get organized on the chaotic nature of 4chan, and announcing reports is against the rules.

Personally, I don't think that whether 6th gen is "retro" or not is something that matters that much. I like the GBA and the PS2/GC, but I know what will happen if they get allowed on /vr/, a shitposting storm will follow, from BOTH sides, the people who are strongly against it, and the people who are advocating fiercely for it. Both will bury /vr/ into the ground if that happens. Lots of falseflag, etc.

Then it /vr/ somehow manages to survive after that war, then will come the console war shitposting, PS2 vs GC vs Xbox, it will be probably more numerous than the SNES vs Genesis/PS1 vs N64 threads.

So, it's not that I hate 6th gen, but I know it will bring no good, no "breath of fresh air" as many say. It will be an apocalypse.

And again, I blame both sides, the anti-6th gen and the pro-6th gen. I'm neutral, but if I had to choose, I'd keep /vr/ as it is, with all its flaws, it's still functional and the console war is still not as bad as /v/, console warring threads would increase greatly if 6th gen is allowed.
>>
>>2947214
What sucks is that a retro gaming thread died when you created this one. Shit-posters like OP are trying to ruin this community.
>>
>>2947217
There's nothing wrong with debating in a thread about which console is better than the other. Someone starting a thread called N64 vs. PSone is NOT against the rules. If flaming starts in the thread, it's not the OP's fault. And if the thread gets deleted because enough butt-hurt channers report it, it still doesn't mean the thread broke any rules.

Posting non-retro games in this board, however, IS against the rules.
>>
>>2947229

I've never seen a console war thread that didn't get into flamebait almost instantly.
>>
>>2947247
Then all posts containing flaming would be against the rules, and would be acceptable to report. But that still doesn't make OP's thread against the rules. If the posters can't discuss which console they think is better in a civil manner, it's not OP's fault.
>>
NOT RETRO

>>/v/
>>
>>2947217
Too many people here trying to twist 4chan's rules to their own liking. Allowing threads that break rules to exist, while reporting threads that don't break any rules.
>>
>>2947249

Yeah, in an ideal world, we should be able to discuss in a civil way and share different points of view. It's not the case.

Video game discussions especially where console warring is something very common and, sadly, part of the "culture".

In the end it's just mostly trolls falseflagging, and people defending their own childhood nostalgia, but it can't be helped. It happens, and it will keep happening.
My point is that with 6th gen, console war will increase greatly, and /vr/'s quality will went down even worse.

Thankfully 2nd and 3rd gen don't have console warring, I've never seen Atari and Coleco fans insult each other, and NES vs Master System is almost nonexistant as well. Things get ugly with 4th gen and even worse with 5th gen, but 6th gen's console warring would take a big chunk of the board.
>>
File: PS2games.gif (42KB, 1369x621px) Image search: [Google]
PS2games.gif
42KB, 1369x621px
Recently converted my brother and I's PS2 library into disk images for emulation. With the exception of Leisure Suit Larry and 7 Sins - I consider the left side pretty essential.
>>
>>2947261
I pretty much agree. Still don't see anything wrong with console warring, as long as it's a civil war. I mean, you know what I'm trying to say here. But yes, 6th gen consoles would get ugly. But that doesn't matter. They are not retro consoles by 4chan rules. That's all that matters.
>>
>>2947261
Exactly. That's why non-retro games shouldn't be allowed here. Look how much bashing has been done in this thread.
>>
>>2947267
No one cares about your non-retro shit. Now fuck off.
>>
>>2947190
I agree. The loophole shouldn't matter, OP should be deleted for breaking the rule regardless of the rest of the content in his post. But that's the mod's rationale evidently.
>>
>>2947276
There is literally nothing non-retro about his comment or image. Back to /v/, troll boy.
>>
>>2947285
Can you not read?

"This board is for the discussion of classic, or "retro" games. Retro gaming means consoles, computer games, arcade games (including pinball) and any other forms of video games on platforms launched in 1999 and earlier. With the release of the 8th generation of consoles, the Sega Dreamcast will now be considered "retro", though the remainder of the sixth generation (Xbox, PS2, GameCube) will not."
>>
>>2947285
>Back to /v/
You mean the place this thread should have been posted to begin with?

Right...
>>
>>2947280
Kind of a problem when the rules contradict the actual definition of retro. Either we fix the rules to be a time limit based on year, or we change the name of the board to "Classic Games" or something. 6th gen is retro, and in another generation, 7th gen will be retro. We need to adapt accordingly.
>>
>>2947215
>240i
you should've went to school
>>
>>2947291
The sticky is not law. It might as well say the sky is green, as long as it's spouting random arbitrary bullshit.
>>
>>2947297
>Either we fix the rules
This is a private owned website. "We" don't fix anything. If you don't like the rules, either make your own website, or go somewhere else.
>>
>>2947215
>movies

Just invalidated yourself.
>>
>>2947307
Doesn't matter what you think. That's the rules set by the owners of this website. Again, if you don't like it, make your own website, or go somewhere else.
>>
>>2947301
>this triggers the resolutionfags
>>
DUDE
NOT RETRO
LMAO
>>
>>2947309
/g/ troll detected
>>
Everyone complains that id we allow 6th gen discussions will become shit, but what I see here is people trying to discuss ps2 games and autist shouting NOT RETRO.

So who is really shitting this board?
>>
>>2947343
The shitters that won't gb2/v/.
>>
>>2947351
This.

>>2947343
If you wanna talk about non-retro games, go to /v/
>>
>>2947343
Amen.

I think last night's debauchery proved that. The not-retro autists single handed my shit up the entire board in two hours more than anyone has managed to in three years.

Adopting a realistic definition of retro is the only way this board can bounce back at this point. I miss talking about old forgotten games, you know?
>>
>>2947359
Single handedly*

Thanks autocorrect
>>
>>2947343

As I already said, the problem is both sides, the pro and the anti.
it's actually an ouroboros of shitposting.

Again I'm not against 6th gen per se, but I don't think it will bring any good because both sides will shitpost this place to death if it happens. pro-6th gen will rubber it on the anti's faces, and the antis will blame all the shitposting on the pro-6th gen, even though they're also part of the problem.

So again, /vr/ actually kind of works the way it is, I don't think we need to allow 6th gen, although I'm not against casual discussion about GBA games (for example on Castlevania threads, if people want to discuss the GBA games, it's alright, even though CV is always mostly shitposting too), or if people want to talk newer installments on some series on 6th gen consoles. But openly allowing 6th gen, yeah, it will be a flood of shitposting, also more console wars, AND if 6th gen is allowed, then people will also start asking for 7th gen, "it's already 10 years old, it's retro".
>>
>>2947352
This is /v/ now.

>>2947359
No-one would scream "NOT RETRO" if everyone stuck to the rules as written.
>>
>>2947368
No it isn't. 95% of post-1999 console threads get deleted.
>>
>>2947371
95% isn't enough.
>>
>>2947359
If they shit in your thread, it doesn't matter, because your thread shouldn't even be posted here to begin with. Will this PS2 thread be successful? Or will it be shit on? Who gives a fuck. If you wanna post about PS2, then post in the proper board. If I wanted to talk about vehicles, I would post about what cars I like in the vehicles forum. See how easy that is? Why can't you do the same? Instead of killing retro threads with your non-retro bullshit.
>>
>>2947384
>not knowing what retro means

Okay kiddo
>>
>>2947297
It's not really a contradiction, the rule has always been platforms released before 1999. This includes Dreamcast, despite being called a 6th gen system, because it launched in 1998. While PS2 released after the date and is therefore a bannable offence. The only thing that is vague is PC games, because there's no foolproof way to define retro from modern, so it falls back on the game's release date.
>>
>>2947390
Doesn't matter your idea of retro is. Rules are rules, shithead.
>>
>>2947375
The 5% is loophole threads like this one, which are about both retro/non-retro games, in this case PS1 and PS2 games.
>>
>>2947394
This.

We can discuss games released on any console before 2000. Or any PC, arcade, etc. game released between 1952 and 1999. It's very simple, really.
>>
>>2947401
Stockholm syndrome
>>
>>2947395
>Rules are rules

Yeah women shouldn't vote and black people shouldn't take the same bus as a white person.

Rules change, and the retro rule should change too (and it will really soon).
>>
File: goldface.jpg (38KB, 327x316px) Image search: [Google]
goldface.jpg
38KB, 327x316px
>>2947405
NEVER EVER, PS2fag, NEVER EVER.

Enjoy being contained to /v/ forever.
>>
>>2947409
It has to change soon. This board can't survive much longer like this.
>>
>>2947409

How soon?

I've seen people bitching about 6th gen being allowed here for over a year or more, but the sticky remains the same.

Are you even interested on discussing video games, or you just want to "win" a war against internet anonymous people that disagree with you?
>>
>>2947414
How good does it feel to destroy one of the last decent retro games communities on the Internet?
>>
>>2947426
If keeping non-retro games out of /vr/ is destroying this community, then it feels fucking good, man.
>>
>>2947425
Oh cool, more straw mans.

How hard is it for you to understand that a ton of people in this community consider these things retro and want to be able to discuss them without being ostracized by narcissistic bullies?
>>
>>2947419
>>2947426
The board. It's shit-posters like you, bringing non-retro threads into the board, that is causing all the shit storms. Just go away. Then the /vr/ board can continue to discuss retro games.

And if you don't agree with what "retro" is, then go to a different website and post there.
>>
>>2947432

I'm just asking you how soon, since you seem convinced, you may know something about the 4chan management we don't.

And I'm not strawmaning at just the pro-6th gen, I'm the guy who is saying both anti and pro-6th gen are the problem. You guys don't really care that much about discussing videogames, you're engaged on a war against some philosophical questions about "what is retro" and you just want to see the other team lose.

In the end, /vr/ as a whole loses, both sides are the problem.
>>
>>2947432
>>2947409
Doesn't matter. Private owned website. Deal with it.
>>
>>2947441
So in other words, if people would just FOLLOW THE FUCKING RULES, these wars would not happen to begin with.
>>
File: 4L_S7kbSXkA.png (221KB, 600x275px) Image search: [Google]
4L_S7kbSXkA.png
221KB, 600x275px
>>2947441
Soooooo straw manning. Got it.

All kidding aside, I can only speak for myself. I don't care about winning some perceived war with a bunch of painfully annoying and immature strangers on a Mongolian dishwashing forum. I want this community to be able to blossom and improve over time. I firmly believe that a realistic definition of retro would be massively helpful for our board. I want to be able to talk about forgotten old games with people.
>>
>>2947468

Alright, I already exposed my ideas and I don't think I'm strawmaning, because I'm not positioning my argument against either the anti or the pro 6th gens, I'm saying this whole discussions only makes more damage to the board.

If you want Hiro to make 6th gen retro, then make threads where they belong, on /qa/, or send mails, don't spam /vr/ everyday with "PS2 is retro" because you KNOW it will trigger the opposite side to shitpost back, and so the cycle continues.

Get my idea?
>>
>>2947479
I should be more clear.

I was joking about the straw manning comment. That's difficult to convey in text. I'm sorry.
>>
>>2947479
There are a few threads on /qa/ about this right now, but mods are more worried with Reddit posting right now.

So yeah we will be having the same argument for who knows how.
>>
File: 1443048022581.png (327KB, 512x512px) Image search: [Google]
1443048022581.png
327KB, 512x512px
>>2947507
If there wasn't a board here for posting about the PS2, then I could understand OP's problem. But there is a board. It's called /v/

I wonder if he complains about his work place not letting him use the women's bathroom, when the men's bathroom is perfectly working.
>>
>>2947516
Try that. Try posting a 6th gen thread to /v/. You know damn well how that will go you jerk.
>>
>>2947523
There was a recent straw poll on /v/ asking what their favorite console generation was. Generation 6 won the poll. And the other day, there was a straw poll with almost 1,500 votes asking what the best console ever was. PS2 won the poll.

Try again, shithead.
>>
>>2947523
CRY
HARDER
SONYGGER

EVERY ONE OF YOUR PLEAS FUELS MY LAUGHTER
>>
File: Whut.jpg (38KB, 365x450px) Image search: [Google]
Whut.jpg
38KB, 365x450px
>>2947523
>Implying /v/ hates the PS2

Look at this thread: >>>/v/325155738

Now look at these results: http://strawpoll.me/6632680/r

/v/ would take you in with open arms to discuss the PlayStation 2. I really don't see what the problem is? Come on, look at those results. You have no case here, anon.
>>
/vr/ day one guy here. I fucking love the ps2 but why the hell is this cancerous, rule-breaking thread still up?
>>
>>2947554
>GameCube was the worst console in existence. I can't believe people would actually vote for that piece of garbage.
>Didn't include any 8th generation consoles, because it's still kinda early for them. PSP was meh. Nintendo is king of handhelds.
>Both shitboxes and the dreamcast clearly were worse.
Holy shit.

I'm beginning to sympathize with the guy who wants 6th gen allowed on /vr/. /v/ is beyond cancerous.
>>
>>2947581
>Pretending that you didn't see the 14 replies that anon got bashing him for talking trash about the GameCube

So actually, that proves just the opposite. Show up on /v/ and talk smack about a 6th generation console, and get your ass handed to you by the hordes of posters who respect it, and voted the GameCube the 3RD BEST CONSOLE EVER in their straw poll.

Your argument is weak and lame. Get over yourself.
>>
>>2947581
GameCube is not that bad. It has a good amount of really great games.
Also the gamepad is my favorite non-standard shape. So comfortable.
>>
>>2947554
This. I like both boards, believe it or not. /v/ holds the PS2 in very high regards. Posting about the PS2 here makes no sense
>>
>>2944495

Are any of you fucking niggers actually going to answer my question? You can go right back to flinging shit at eachother over rules on an anonymous Chinese cartoon imageboard, I promise.
>>
>>2947604
What question?
if ur the guy asking about what PS2 to get, get a fat and put a IDE drive inside with your games
Get FreeMCBoot to be able to load games from the hard drive. The load times are sooo much better. You can also use Ethernet for loading games from a computer hard drive. Just don't use the USB 1.1 ports
>>
>>2947604
Why don't you ask /v/? They have made it clear that PS2 is their favorite console (with the Super NES and GameCube right behind it.) I'm sure they could answer your question. Start a thread there.
>>
>>2947604
Ask /v/. Then you would get your answer, and /vr/ would remain retro. See how easy it is when everyone wins?
>>
>>2947604
I'm a disgruntled black guy and you can do your own fucking research, white boy.
>>
File: Thread.jpg (347KB, 974x521px) Image search: [Google]
Thread.jpg
347KB, 974x521px
>>2929565
>>
>>2947615

Dude, I just want to pop in a PS2 disc and fucking play. I just wanna know if there is a specific run of the phat to avoid/get (PSX has similar buying advice). I also wondered if there were specific tips for motorized tray maintenance.

You know, all the shit I already asked that I clearly indicated by re-quoting my own goddamn post.
>>
The day /vr/ allows Kingdom Farts, HALO and Cawwadoody threads is the day /vr/ dies.
>>
>>2947631
sorry man idk they are all good i never heard of a PS2 model with major flaws to it
>>
>>2947636
I like those games you mentioned. But yes, they should all be kept the hell off this board.
>>
>>2947628
/top kek
Just needs OP sucking his thumb and holding his PS2
>>
File: GastonIsKawaii.jpg (51KB, 596x428px) Image search: [Google]
GastonIsKawaii.jpg
51KB, 596x428px
>>2947627
>>2947626
>>2947618
>>
>>2947647
What kind of fag keeps a picture like that saved on his computer.
>>
>>2947657

The kind that still thinks you're queerer than Nomura in a pair of biker shorts at a figure skating competition.
>>
>>2947665
>Says the one with a file called "Gaston Is Kawaii" saved to his computer

How will I ever recover.
>>
>>2947628
This.

Show up on /vr/ and talk about the PS2, and get shit on.

Show up on /v/ and say you dislike the PS2, and you are completely out-numbered. Fags acting like they can't discuss the PS2 on /v/. Give me a fucking break.
>>
>>2947647
>>2947665
>Mentions Nomura
>Admits he keeps fag drawings of retro male cartoons saved in his documents
I like how this dude keeps self-owning himself
>>
>>2929565
NOT RETRO

Fuck off, retard.
>>
File: wojak.jpg (68KB, 700x700px) Image search: [Google]
wojak.jpg
68KB, 700x700px
>>2947683
IT'S NOT FAIR

I WANNA DISCUSS PS2 ON /vr/!!! /v/ IS JUST TOO SHIT!!
>>
>>2947695
If you really are the OP (can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not) then just look at this thread and tell me the reception here for the PS2 has been a good one.

Now look at this thread: >>>/v/325134373

See how much /v/ loves the PS2, and other 6th generation consoles? Go there.

Kay? Kay.
>>
>>2947695
>Even though /v/ shares the same taste in games as OP
>>
>>2947698
A biblically proportioned firestorm of shit flinging and pissmoaning between the most insufferable children on babby's first board and legitimately zero discourse.

>b-but just go to /v/

You ignorant slug of a man.
>>
>>2947742
>Thread not even dedicated to the PS2 overwhelmingly turned out in the PS2's favor on /v/
>Thread about the PS2 on /vr/ turns into a "firestorm of shit flinging"
>You ignoring facts
>You really are this stupid
>>
>>2947671

I'd recommend crack, but it seems you've beaten me to the punch.

>>2947684

The image amused me, so I saved it. That is all the "justification" I ever need, especially where snot-nosed 16 year old /v/ babbies are concerned.
>>
PS2 is my favorite console of all time. that being said it does not belong on /vr/. not now. maybe in 2020, in fact we should all agree to set that date now so there's no more confusion
>>
>>2939971
Announcing/encouraging reports (which is shitposting) is a bannable offense newfriend. You're lucky you didn't get a 3 day ban.
>>
>>2948352
>encouraging reports
That isn't against the rules. Only claiming you yourself reported someone is.
>>
>>2948360
it's still shitposting which is also bannable.
>>
>>2948369
funposting is allowed everywhere on 4chan, silly anon
>>
if you think you can discuss ps2 stuff on /v/ you are fucking delusional
>>
I wonder how many of the loyal rule enforcer neck beard are having panic attacks since this thread is still up.
>>
>>2949231
I don't know but it is kind of heartbreaking. I do appreciate it when people want to have an actual conversation about something like this instead of the classic 4chan knee-jerk hyper reactions.
>>
>>2948673
this is honestly why i would like to see a 5th&6th gen board. there's enough to talk about in the 6th gen alone but making a board for 1 generation would be overkill.

/v/ is too busy with 7th and over (as they should be) and /vr/ goes into turbosperg mode when discussing 6th gen, while the 5th gen honestly doesn't feel like it belongs here.
>>
>>2948673
>>2949695
WRONG!

PS2 is the most popular console on /v/. They have a high respect for the 6th generation consoles.

Look at this thread: >>>/v/325134373

You will see they voted the PS2 as the number one console ever, with the Super NES and GameCube at a close second. And anyone who showed up in the thread to bash those consoles got shot down by the rest of the /v/ community.

You guys are idiots.

Also, PS2 is NOT retro. Fantastic console? Sure. But doesn't belong on this board. So fuck off.
>>
>>2949707
Oh good, that aspie fuck who started all those crazy shitpost threads the other day is back. Calm yourself. You're not arguing with people, you're arguing reality. Reasonable people don't converse like that. You look like a psychopath. Also you can't seem to grasp the basic concept of retro.
>>
File: 4L_N6OoYOli.gif (55KB, 300x321px) Image search: [Google]
4L_N6OoYOli.gif
55KB, 300x321px
>>2949707
Just leave. You obviously don't care about retro games and this troll shit is just bringing the whole board down. Time to take your ball and go home, man.
>>
>>2949854
You should use commas more often.
>>
>>2949854
But he can grasp the concept that this board is for consoles released before Y2K. And I'm sure you'll say I'm him samefagging, but whatever.
>>
>>2949869
If that were the case, the board wouldn't be called "retro" games, now would it? Let's just call it /v99/.
>>
>>2949707
This. I never see any hate for 6 gen. consoles on /v/. All the hate for 6 gen. consoles are here on /vr/, this thread proves it
>>
File: Get Out.jpg (26KB, 510x373px) Image search: [Google]
Get Out.jpg
26KB, 510x373px
>>2929565
>PS2
>Retro

Leave. Now.
Thread posts: 419
Thread images: 40

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.