[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Tyrian

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 3

File: tyrian.png (89KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
tyrian.png
89KB, 640x480px
Did anyone play Tyrian when they were a kid?
Has anyone played it recently?
https://bitbucket.org/opentyrian/opentyrian/wiki/Home
>>
Yes yes yes!!!
I found it 2 years ago on an old harddrive and played it from time to time. I thought nearly nobody knew it
>>
Yeah it's awesome. Try aleste and other compile games if you like it.
>>
>>2928225
I loved it when I was a kid, but then I started playing arcade shmups, and I realized it's just euroshmup trash (euroshmup being a genre defined by health bars, shops, and inertia, nothing to do with country of origin).
>>
>>2928225
i and my brother played it in coop until it broke.
also the hidden destruct game and jukebox with the superb music is epic.
>>
>>2928258
But it has an arcade mode.
>>
bretty gud

rhe psp port of opentyrian its on my handheld since i've discovered the game thanks to https://youtu.be/w025kQRMZwA
>>
>>2928670
I also found this game because of him.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAIgYbqFkro
Never played the game, but I do enjoy the soundtrack.
>>
I didn't grow up with it
I played it recently and didn't like it very much
It's pretty distinct and it's cool that it's a shmup tailored for PC, but as far as I'm concerned it's strictly inferior to a lot of arcade shmups of the same era
>>
>>2928225
I played it in the late 90s though I was never really into vertical scrolling shooters back then.

I later found OpenTyrian and got into it enough to finish it. It was fun.

I also found the hordes of bullet-hell elitists who hate DOS games like Tyrian and derisively call them "EuroShmups" which honestly just makes me like Tyrian more cos I hate genre snobs.
>>
>>2928225
Played the shit out of both Tyrian and Raptor: Call of the Shadows. Good times.
>>
File: holy shit, it's real!.jpg (47KB, 680x640px) Image search: [Google]
holy shit, it's real!.jpg
47KB, 680x640px
>>2928225
I adored it.

The art style and everything of that sort was great.

It would be kind of cool to play vertically. Or maybe in a two player full mode, or even a three player mode.

There's this really cool thing you can do with this game, rename some of the episode related files, switch them with each other. I think it only works well in ways that shorten episodes, but it's still a wacky way to shuffle up the game.
>>
Fuck yes! I love Tryian!

Also, does Project S-11 remind anyone else of Tyrian?
I was kinda disapionted when Tyrian 2000 for the gbc was scrapped, but S-11 looks and plays pretty similar, imo.
>>
Played the shareware through enough times to discover every Super Arcade Mode and Destruct. Also played Tyrian 2000 in full ...uh quite a while ago, now that I think of it.

The only two title screen unlocks I can remember off the top of my head are SHADOW and DESTRUCT. (Type the words at the title screen)
>>
I played this so much. I just love the art, music and general comfyness.

Last time I played was a few years ago, and finished the story mode on Suicide difficulty. Asteroid levels were a nightmare.

Here's the artist's blog, he posted some assets from Tyrian and other games if anyone is into those : http://lunar.lostgarden.com/game_HardVacuum.htm
>>
I like to play open tyrian on my raspberry pi its pretty comfy
>>
>>2928225
>>2928253
>>2929518
If you like it you might also want to try the SWIV games and X2 on the PS1.
>>
>>2930025
I can remember many more ... techno, unknown, nortzhipz, stealth, weird, stormwind ...

I don't remember "shadow", maybe you misremembered the one for the ninja star?
>>
>>2928741
I think the OPL version sounds better than the midi one.
>>
>>2928258
yeah and it also plays way different because of those mechanics thinking memorizing levels ala rtype or dodging bullets is somehow more fun you're just depriving yourself of a different kind of fun. Being a shmup elitist is pretty damn autistic. tyrian is like the casual version of a shooter and its still fun even though it might not be hardcore enough for your autism.
>>
My best friend had this preloaded on his parents acer. So many nights rocking out to that soundtrack.
>>
Anyone got a link to the cd music version?
>>
You guys are awesome for bringing this up.

I loved Tyrian as a kid. I played the (as mentioned) pre-loaded Acer version on the first computer I had, and eventually got Tyrian 2000 a few years later.

I still play OpenTyrian on PSP from time to time when I'm not doing something else.

For being a simpler, more casual shmup, it's still really enjoyable. I still love the game just as much as I did 20 years ago, which is saying a lot.
>>
>>2928258
I always hear Shmup players say this, that Euroshmups are inherently bad because of these features. Granted, I don't play a huge amount of shmups myself, but what makes health bars and shops bad? (Inertia is shit though)
>>
>>2932424
Shops and health generally affect the game's balance in a negative way.

Instead of having clever design that allows you to not get hit while playing, the devs just throw a bunch of shit at you, give you health pick-ups and call it a day. Shops mean you have a bunch of weapons that are probably not considered while making the stages, or ones that are more preferred over the others, instead of just giving you a set arsenal that you power up through a stage. Plus they break the flow.
>>
>>2932090
>stealth
That's the one I misremembered as 'shadow'. Been a while.
The Foodship (unknown?) was a favourite. Do forgive the watermark, surprisingly hard to find pictures of the thing.
>>
>>2932443
But Tyrian has no health pickups, only the armor ship.
The shops are dependent on the level, you could rather criticize carrying over your equipment between levels.
>>
I played a lot as a kid, but I was really bad. I remember a friend coming over and having fun playing with the two ships that I think could attach to one another? I also remember playing with a carrot ship which I think was overpowered and let me go further through the game, not sure.
>>
>>2932851
Didn't the shield recharge on its own?
>>
>>2932424
It makes total sense if you consider people who play it competitively, a mistake on an Euroshmup costs a lot less from a beginner player than on an Arcade game. Shops will always have one weapon combinations and milking route that's way more efficient than everything else, so it hinders different play styles.
>>
>>2932876
In full game it depends on your generator.
>>
>>2932882
I think weapon choices are often a matter of personal preference, whether you buy them or pick them up.
In Super Tyrian you have neither.
>>
>>2928225
Such a weird game. The lore of Tyrian is surprisingly deep and fleshed out for whatever reason and I don't think the story makes a lick of sense. As far as I remember you fight a flying banana at the end.
>>
>>2932887
>In Super Tyrian you have neither.
>This mode, which is enabled by typing "engage" at the title screen, disables all cheat codes and command parameters and sets the difficulty to Lord of Game (or Suicide if the Scroll Lock key is held down). The player possesses a Stalker 21.126 ship, along with a small shield and only one weapon, the Atomic Rail Gun. No other weapons are available; however the ship is able to generate many different weapons when the player performs particular sequences of movements and weapon-firing.
That's cool, I didn't know about that mode.
>>
>>2932902
The goddamn special moves in this game, I remember buying the ultimate ship in the story mode and being unable to use any of the stuff I read about in some guide on the internet.
>>
>>2932902
I think they tell you at the end of a playthrough. Or it's one of the secrets you learn at the end of an episode.
>>
>>2932679
Foodship was WEIRD. UNKNOWN was the TX Silvercloud, which was the one that could get either laser. The first one, the experimental PQZ could get the zica laser, though that was the best one. It never seemed possible to get the normal laser easily enough for it to matter.

The TX Silvercloud used the 2 player mode ship, that was kind of lame, you wouldn't really want the 2 player ship in a single player game, now the other way around would have been helpful. And interesting, there were NO extra variations on the 2 player mode ... yeah, now THAT is what was properly lame.
>>
>>2932851
The Gencore Ships and the basic Stalker could recharge their shields with a twiddle move.

>>2932876
Yes, but arcade modes limited you to the basic shield.

>>2932884
If it depends on your generator, it also depends on how draining your other weapons are. A high powered lightning cannon pissed energy away like someone else was paying for it, the mega pulses could get horribly greedy too, dual vulcans probably had that price as opposed to how cheap a weapon it was, which was a bit unfortunate because they looked rather elegant.
>>
Tyrian 2000 is my favourite shmup.
I don't care for shmups normally, but something about Tyrian really draws me in.
>>
>>2932882
>play it competitively
That's an odd standard to be throwing around, when talking about a game with so much cute backstory and hidden features of various sorts.

>>2928258
So... Stargunner and Raptor must be called trash too?
>>
>>2934724
Raptor does everything worse than Tyrian.
>>
>>2928225
>shitpiece Euro schmup that couldn't even hold a candle to it's contemporaries back in the day.
No thanks
>>
>>2932098
>he thinks Japs only make memorizaion and bullethell type shooters
Eurocucks need something to hold onto, they'll even rally around shit like Tyrian. Pathetic.
>>
>>2934724
Raptor is even worse than Tyrian
>>
>>2934724
That's one of the things that can be considered off putting about Tyrian, I mean, I don't particularly mind it but for someone who's looking into honing his skills Tyrian had way too many and too long winded levels. Episode 1 alone is over 30 minutes long if you don't count time spent on menus and bonus levels.
>>
>>2934767
I'm not a eurocuck though I am someone who enjoys games and you're an elitist faget
>>
>>2934774
>for someone who's looking into honing his skills Tyrian had way too many and too long winded levels
fuck and I thought we were playing games
>>
>>2934793
I'm not defending it, I actually prefer the exploratory side of Tyrian.
>>
I remember having Tyrian, and thinking fondly of it, but I can't actually remember anything about it.
In fact, my strongest memory is being upset that I couldn't figure out how to make it work on our new computer.
>>
>>2934965
My strongest memory of Tyrian is quick-killing bosses with dual plasma storm. The fact that that is so easy is proof that Tyrian is a bad game.
>>
>>2932443
Most shmups are balanced in a negative way. Your either overpowered or underpowered.
>>
>>2932884
Did anybody ever not upgrade their generator as fast as possible? That's bad design right there - if some choice is so obviously good it shouldn't be a choice at all.
>>
>>2934974
Okay, fine, plasma storm was seriously overpowered. It was cool for destroying things you normally wouldn't be able to destroy though.
>>
>>2935191
I didn't. I remember it being more important to scoop up a rare sidekick, and then for a while shooting with restraint, or picking lower drain weapons.
>>
>>2928285
Arcade mode is still the same, it's still about mix and matching your weapons sensibly, conserving ammo, pacing yourself and managing your shield<->armour levels rather than being intensely focussed on dodging enemy fire.
Thread posts: 56
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.