[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Just bought Phantasy Star Online, what am I in for /vr/?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 5

File: pso2.jpg (136KB, 640x633px) Image search: [Google]
pso2.jpg
136KB, 640x633px
Just bought Phantasy Star Online, what am I in for /vr/?
>>
Dreamcast version isn't that good IMO.
>>
>>2924852
elaborate anon
>>
you're about 16 years late to the party, brah

should've just downloaded PSOBB instead
>>
>>2924862
it's clunky
but then again they all are

for easy modo select the robot race with ranger class
>>
>>2924867
dont remind me...
>>
is it true people still play online in the DC version??
>>
>>2924852
>>2924867
This

>>2924807
>Just bought Phantasy Star Online, what am I in for /vr/?
A lonely time
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (132KB, 1500x1500px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
132KB, 1500x1500px
>>2924807
>Just bought Phantasy Star Online
>>
>>2924862
No split screen
Only 4 areas
Missing 3 classes
Unbalanced classes
Abysmal drop rates for rares
No 2nd joystick for item management while moving
>>
In the Dreamcast game you drop your equipped weapon and all cash you're carrying when you die. Luckily they fixed it in the Cube/PC releases.
>>
>>2924807

A fun ARPG. Singleplayer only unless you have a dialup internet connection and a codebreaker or an ICS setup.

Xbox and Gamecube versions are the better versions to get simply because of more content (more environments and classes) and splitscreen, but the original is still a ton of fun. I hope you got the V.2 version.

Make sure you read the manual or at least figure out the three hit combo system, otherwise you'll just be jamming on the attack button and not actually attacking.

>>2924873

Yeah.

>>2924919

> fixed

You're wrong. What's the point of death if there is no penalty? If you're looking for babby mode games this isn't for you.
>>
>>2924950
>thinks stealing other people's weapons and money is okay
Found the nigger.
>>
Just grab the PC version. There's a server still up.
>>
>>2924956

> thinks every game should hold his hand and nothing bad should ever happen ever

Found the millenial
>>
>>2924963
>millennial
Back to reddit, edgelord.
>>
>>2924972

Looks like I hit a nerve.

Sorry for hurting your feelings.
>>
>>2924950
Oh, there is a penalty. Dying and ruining your party's TA time. Losing your stuff just doesn't compare to the shame and embarrassment.
>>
>>2924989

Honestly with all of the hackers that were running around in PSO you were a goober if you played with randos instead of sticking with people you knew anyway.
>>
File: GameShark_Dreamcast_Screen_2.jpg (16KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
GameShark_Dreamcast_Screen_2.jpg
16KB, 320x240px
>>2924998

This is true, I was one of them.

I would usually stay with other gameshark users though, although we would like to go around the lobbies dropping maxed out rares for people because we could spawn them like nothing.
>>
>>2924998
I'm not talking about randoms. It's just embarrassing to die when playing with your TA circle.
>>
>>2925010

I remember one trick people would use would be to wait until someone was fighting a monster and then try to send them their guild card over and over again. The person couldn't attack because the guild card message would keep popping up so whatever they were fighting would kill them after enough time.
>>
File: sillynbaplayers.gif (4MB, 482x277px) Image search: [Google]
sillynbaplayers.gif
4MB, 482x277px
>all these faggots in this thread that don't know private servers exist or just don't know how to set them up.
>>
>>2925178
How did you come to this conclusion? I mean I understand if you meant just the OP, but why everyone?
>>
>>2925178
Who the hell are you to assume things about me, sir

who the fuck are you, sir, who the fuck are you
>>
>>2924807
>get the hardware to play online
>look up ip of servers
>enter the ip ingame
>enjoy
>>
>>2926530
>enter the ip ingame
Not actually how it works, m8.
>>
>>2927734

Sorta.

It's just that instead of entering the IPs in-game you use a Gameshark/Codebreaker to patch the locations in memory where the IPs are located.
>>
So what was the difference between vanillia PSO and version 2?
>>
>>2929764
Ultimate skill, levels 101-200, a bunch of new weapons that would turn into shit if you gave them to Ver. 1 players and a few quality of life improvements like quick item/technique menus. No new content or anything.
>>
>>2930032

The quick item menus were fucking required if you were a melee character though, especially once you hit the mines and had to switch back and forth from your blade to your ranged weapon to pick off those little Canadine fuckers or for shooting traps.
>>
>>2924807
We should organize a /vr/ PSO guild, I have the Gamecube version legit but I don't know how easy that would be to get running, I'm going to assume OP has the dreamcast version which I also have access to, would anyone be interested in playing some time?
>>
>>2924807
should have just hopped on ephinea my nigga
http://ephinea.pioneer2.net/
>>
>>2930441
>would anyone be interested in playing some time?

Sure.

Sylverant.net supports all versions except for BB.

V1 & V2 can generally play together, but V3 players have to keep to themselves due the volume of differences which will crash the game.
>>
>>2924807
Pretty much the same thing as when you never played it before except with a little bit of extra shelf space occupied.
>>
Dreamcast isn't Retro.
Dreamcast is a 6th Gen Console.
6th Gen isn't allowed on /vr/.
>>
>>2932039
Why are you complaining about Dreamcast when you should be complaining about the fags talking about a 2005 PC game?
>>
>>2932101

He doesn't actually mean it, "Dreamcast isn't retro" is a /v/ meme
>>
File: Caves1.jpg (1MB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Caves1.jpg
1MB, 1600x1200px
>>2924807

I'm playing PSO again on the Dreamcast for the first time in probably close to a decade.

Just beat Vol Opt and now have to go back through Forest/Mines/Ruins again to activate the pillars. I forgot how fucking cozy this game is sometimes.
>>
>>2932137
>forgets to activate the pillars
You just reminded me how fucking mad this made me every time I forgot. Back in 2003 I one time accidentally chucked my dreamcast controller at my big brother's out of anger because of it.

He whooped my ass and deleted my file.
>>
>>2930441
Op here, sounds like a good idea anon I just gotta get my DC hooked up to the internet somehow
>>
>>2932239

Anon you can't activate the pillars until after you fight Vol Opt for the first time.

Then you have to activate all three pillars and then fight Vol Opt again, then you can open the door and go to the ruins.

In v1 you could just do the glitch that lets you move through locked doors, but where's the fun in that?
>>
>>2932251
There are guides to routing your cable connection through a 56k modem, there is a cable modem for the DC but it's like, literally hundreds of dollars to buy. On the weekend I'm going to start a thread with all the necessary info.
>>
>>2932285
Thank you anon, really appreciate it
>>
>>2932285

There is a software package that turns the raspberry pi into an internet connection sharing box for the Dreamcast.

Depending on the version of the modem in your DC you might have to build something called a line voltage inducer (basically a 9v battery that is wired up inline on the phone cord to the modem since certain modems require power via the phone jack to operate) though.
>>
>>2932321
I don't own a raspberry Pi unfortunately, but this sounds like a great way to set it up.

I wonder why similar software isn't available for the PC?
>>
>>2924979
Looks like you really triggered zim with your ageist microaggression.
>>
>>2932532

I don't know. Would be pretty nice though.

All of the Dreamcast dialup to cable internet ICS tutorials seem to be ancient ones for Windows 98 or slightly less ancient ones for Linux.

It's a shame no one who has the ability has come up with something. It's probably more complicated than it sounds, which is one no one has gotten around to it yet.
>>
>>2934234
There is a guy that was working on one in 2014, but he seems to have fallen off the map.

http://assemblergames.com/l/threads/moband-adapter-dreamcast-modem-to-broadband-replacement.51856/

Even if he does get it working I don't know how he would produce it in any sort of reasonably priced way.
>>
>>2934234
What are you expecting them to come up with? There are dozens of ways to do a DC dialup server, some of them basically off the shelf.
No one has gotten around to doing anything because once they have a look at it they realize that everything is already there.

>>2934238
He didn't fall off the map. He realized he was reinventing the wheel in a bad way and stopped. You will never produce anything priced competitively to a $0 DC modem and $0 old laptop. The most expensive part of the setup is a 9V battery if you have the wrong model modem.
Thread posts: 50
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.