[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What went right?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 16

File: LucasArts_GoldGuy_logo_purple.jpg (14KB, 243x300px) Image search: [Google]
LucasArts_GoldGuy_logo_purple.jpg
14KB, 243x300px
What went right?
>>
>>
Outlaws

Dark Forces II: Jedi Knight

Jedi Outcast
>>
It was a company founded by creatives rather than programmers.
>>
Disciplined developers left to their own devices by a trusting finance/publishing department.
>>
>>2920557
Droidworks

Search your feelings, you know it's true.
>>
>>2921272

Oh man, I played the demo of that so many times. What was the full game like?

>>2920557
Jedi Academy was pretty great. And Galactic Battlegrounds.
>>
Played the fuck out of Jedi Knight and X-Wing vs TIE Fighter as a kid. Jedi Knight had all sorts of modding potential and a niche multiplayer scene.

LucasArts adventure games were also top-notch, although I could rarely get through one without resorting to a walkthrough at some point.
Games like Grim Fandango, Sam and Max, and Curse of Monkey Island remain some of the best in the genre even today.

Things started going downhill sometime around Battlefront when the focus shifted to prequel shovelware.
>>
Metal FUCKING Warriors
Zombies Ate My Neighbors
Day of the Tentacle/Maniac Mansion
>>
Indiana Jones Fate of Atlantis is the GOAT point and click adventure
>>
>>2920585
I read an interview once with one of the artists and he said they were looking for artists, since it's easier to teach them how to program than the other way round, teach programers art.

And they were right. A lot of older games, even the popular and technically good ones, have a shitty art direction, but that's definitely not one of LucasArt's problems.
>>
>>2920557
>>
>>2921598
>>2921638
Does anyone here know how to rip sprites/"costumes" from SCUMM engine games? I would love use some them as placeholder art in an adventure game I'm making.
>>
>>2920557

x-wing
tie fighter
monkey island
day of the tentacle
sam'n'max
dark forces

It's definitely easier to state what went wrong.
Lucasarts and origin were two firms that made my childhood.
>>
>>2921276
Pretty much objective-based missions with optional sidequests within them for replay value. Some were a bit sandboxish, others were very linear. All of them had the important aspect of conserving power until you finished the mission, but there were tons of materials you could use to design droids that would complete all the sidequests in the missions. Silly story about assassin droids, but the final levels where you face them and take out the assembly factory were awesome.
>>
>>2920557
I know its crap but I love rebellion.
>>
File: ballblazer.jpg (70KB, 600x826px) Image search: [Google]
ballblazer.jpg
70KB, 600x826px
Ballblazer was a great Lucas game. One of their first titles, made during the Lucasfilm Games era, Ballblazer was great on the Atari 7800 and one of the only titles with a POKEY sound chip in the cart (same chip used in Atari arcade games and 8 bit computers) so it sounded great.
>>
>>2920557
BEHOLD, THE ONLY GOOD GAME TO EVER COME OUT OF LUCASARTS.
>>
>>2920584
>Outlaws
Maybe its me, but getting around to playing outlaws the first time, it feels... wierd, like a beta game compared to like Dark Forces, maybe its just the art direction.
>>
File: SWracer.jpg (42KB, 391x460px) Image search: [Google]
SWracer.jpg
42KB, 391x460px
It beat both F-Zero and Wipeout in sales.
One of my favourite Star Wars games and one of the best things to come out of the prequel trilogy.
>>
>>2922886
Agreed.
>>
Anyone remember this little gem from Lucas Arts?
>>
>>2922838
its a weird game. very cartoonish. but very fun and very deadly.

I might have to download it again
>>
>>2920557
It launched the careers of Ron Gilbert and Tim Shaffer, as well as acting as a stopgap between star wars movies.
>>
>>2923127
THAT game was from Lucas Arts? Goddamn that game was good
>>
>>2921601
That's actually real neat
>>
>>2922618
greatest sports game of ALL TIME. I play it regularly. Even the Famicom version, still a great game despite being a terrible port
>>
>>2922886
Also agreed, played hundreds of hours on the N64. Dreamcast version is my go-to now.
>>
File: theyknew.jpg (146KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
theyknew.jpg
146KB, 1920x1080px
>>2923256
>Launching Tim Schaffer's career
>a thing that went right.
Sure.
>>
>>2922838
Well I downloaded it again and its just as great as I remember. You gotta play it on Bad difficulty with no saves, and be careful as fuck, literally walking around and carefully peeking around corners, just like a real gunslinger.

Very good gunplay, and a very deadly game.

The voice acting is hilarious

>Where are ya marshall?!
>Yerr outnumbered!
>>
>>2924693

HEHEHE, THAT WAS SOME GREAT SHOOTIN', MISTER. BUT YER ALREADY TOO LATE

I know I have a copy of it lying around somewhere. Hope it ain't a bitch to get running in Windows 10.

Also the Dark Forces/Jedi Knight Series. And Monkey Island.
>>
>>2920557
Actual funnymen and fun engineers.
>>
The SCUMM engine in general
Maniac Mansion / Day of the Tentalce
The Dig (if you don't know, stop playing everything and do it)
Full Throttle
Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis
Dark Forces
SW: Ep1 Podracing
SW: Ep1 The Game (surprisingly good for a multiplayer Act/Adv game)
Zombies Ate My Neighbors
>>
File: LOOM_Cover_Art.jpg (134KB, 256x342px) Image search: [Google]
LOOM_Cover_Art.jpg
134KB, 256x342px
>>2926396
>no Loom
shit anon, get it together
>>
>>2923127
>>2923351

LucasArts and Konami together... can't go wrong.
>>
>>2920557
almost every point'n'click they've done is top tier
>>
>>2926405
FFS, you are absolutely right! I totally forgot. That game needed to be longer or have a sequel.
>>
>>2923127
>55 Un-deadly levels!
>Un-deadly
So...they're not dangerous?
>>
File: The_Dig_artwork.jpg (108KB, 256x371px) Image search: [Google]
The_Dig_artwork.jpg
108KB, 256x371px
I do feel this needs more attention though. The Dig. LucasArts had a lot of very good Point and Click games but this gem has a backstory that is amazingness in the making.

Originally written as a movie as a co-operative effort of George Lucas and Steven Spielberg.
SCRAPPED
Adapted to be a tv series.
SCRAPPED
Adapted to be a miniseries.
SCRAPPED
Adapted to be a game. Dialog by Orson Scott Card. Full voice over cast including the guy who was in Xfiles and played the T2000 in Terminator 2.
Adapted to a book/audiobook after.

I've been through all 3 of its published incarnations and they each have their high points, but the game is still my bread and butter.
>>
>>2923631
Tim Shaffer is an under-appreciated icon of gaming. Nice guy too. Met him at Maker's Fair a couple years ago when I was running a booth.
>>
>>2920580
Oh man, Plo Koon was my main man.
Made me super sad seeing him get offed in Episode III
>>
>>2926439
Oh man, I played that one as an 11 year old with barely any grasp of english (brfag here) and it blew my fucking mind.
I remember taking a solid month to overcome some of the puzzles simply by working my brain into submission, lost many classes daydreaming about this game. Shit was fucking awesome.
Maybe I should play it again now that I can understand everything.
>>
>>2926443
I met him at a burlesque show.
>>
>>2926482
When I first played it, I had to make a 3.5" boot disk because my 386 couldn't handle it. I remember the crystal-crane puzzle taking me weeks because activating it caused my game to run at a wopping 0.25FPS. For its day, great graphics. For eternity, great story telling. *uses just 1 hand to raise a glass to Brink*
>>
>>2926501
I gotta ask... Hubba Hubba?
>>
File: Adventurer6_Cover.jpg (166KB, 830x934px) Image search: [Google]
Adventurer6_Cover.jpg
166KB, 830x934px
>>2926439
You forgot

>Original Survival Game Design by Noah Falstein
SCRAPPED
>Wildly Different Adventure Game design by Brian Moriarty
SCRAPPED and revisioned by Sean Clark

Judging by some of the available design and various inside information, it may have been way too much ahead of its time and Jurassic Park's level of gory.
https://web.archive.org/web/20121028130748/http://dig.mixnmojo.com/museum/history.html

Not to long ago, some artist leaked a handful of production material from Moriarty's version, check it out:
https://web.archive.org/web/20140126033609/http://home.comcast.net/~ervind/digbm1.html
https://web.archive.org/web/20140126034025/http://home.comcast.net/~ervind/digtext1.html

There's also some material left from when Sean Clark already replaced Moriarty:
https://web.archive.org/web/20140126034020/http://home.comcast.net/~ervind/digsc1.html
>>
>>2926507
Special event themed around his work that a traveling troupe held at the same time as PAX East. He showed up when he heard about it.
>>
>>2926545
I actually didn't know about this part of its history. I'd only pieced that much of it together. Thanks for the additional info!

And yea, this was WAY ahead of its time. Plus, a lot of the stuff involving Brink may have been too controversial for some of the audiences they were trying to aim for originally. Then again, I hear each scrapping resulted in a nearly complete re-write.
>>
>>2926552
Hah! nice. He's still local to my area I think and we have a lively burlesque circuit. Would've really enjoyed that show.
>>
File: Sam_&_Max_Hit_the_Road_artwork.jpg (167KB, 256x320px) Image search: [Google]
Sam_&_Max_Hit_the_Road_artwork.jpg
167KB, 256x320px
Also, I FORGOT THIS!!!!! Telltale games continued the series but, it's never been as good as this installment. Actually, the most recent game was complete shit. Chalk one up to designing a PC game for the Wii because that surely wasn't a terrible fucking idea from day 1.
>>
>>2926553
>Then again, I hear each scrapping resulted in a nearly complete re-write.
In Falstein case, yes.

Here's his early design document from where The Dig was yet to be an adventure game.

https://web.archive.org/web/20111030224650/http://dig.mixnmojo.com/downloads/The%20Dig%20-%20First%20Version.pdf (password: babypig)

We have to realize The Dig went through 6 years of development hell and it's actually a miracle it wasn't shut down. Here's a very interesting video about Moriarty's version I forgot to link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nSfN_Uwruo
>>
>>2926594
You seem to have a lot on this and it's rare to even find others who've played it. Any chance you had a hand in it?
>>
>>2926443
>icon
>fucks up three times in a row
>3.3 mil and other fundraisers
>>
>>2926616
Lolno, I'm just a huge nut about LucasArts's adventure games. And if you're >>2926562 I wholeheartedly agree, since I'm also a S&M fan. The only game that stroke me as passable was the first season.
>>
>>2926652
Are you talking about George Lucas now? Because he fits that exact criteria and seems to be fairly iconic.
>>
>>2926660
Same here, and yea, that's me. Season 1 was ok, Season 2 wasn't too bad, and then you had bad wii controls force on a PC. What was that? Click and hold and then move the mouse to emulate a joystick to move a character? Why over complicate something that's worked perfectly for 20+ years for countless games. Point. Click. Done.
>>
File: image.jpg (50KB, 360x250px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
50KB, 360x250px
This whole series was not bad to be honest.
>>
>>2926696
I didn't get to try them when they were new but did try a run of them recently. I will admit they had great graphics, but I don't think the gameplay holds up without nostalgia.

That's not to say they were bad games, just giving my 2 cent on them.
>>
a must-play for RTS fans!
>>
>>2926704
True but even then they are still way better than a good chunk of platformers and run n guns from that era.
>>
>>2926740
Truth.
>>
>>2926704
I don't like them either
>kill shit until it spawns a saber and health upgrade
>tank hits against the boss
>>
>>2926791
I just don't remember Hoth being adjacent to Morrowind. Fucking cliffracers everywhere in the first level of Super Empire Strikes Back!
>>
>>2926661
Maybe Tim is his relative
>>
>>2920557
Almost everything besides Masters of Teras Kai
>>
File: hercs adventure.jpg (69KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
hercs adventure.jpg
69KB, 640x640px
>>2923127
Let's not forget this masterpiece.
>>
File: 177476-dott_screenshot.png (33KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
177476-dott_screenshot.png
33KB, 320x240px
>>2920557
>What went right?
They closed when their games went to shit.
>>
Quests and Jedi series
Thread posts: 68
Thread images: 16

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.