[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

As someone who doesn't know a lot about fighting games,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 4

File: 1.jpg (67KB, 500x646px) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
67KB, 500x646px
As someone who doesn't know a lot about fighting games, what is the difference between mainline Street Fighter and the Alpha series? Ostensibly they look pretty much the same to me. What makes it so different to warrant being an entire spin-off series? It just seems so weird to me that a company would release a spin-off game that plays pretty much the same as its main titles.
>>
>>2919925
Basically, every Street Fighter is it's own series. That's why there's like 8 versions of SF2, 3- of SF3 and what now? 4-5 of SF4? SFA was originally "Street Fighter Zero" in Japan, and took place in between FS and SF2 (if I'm not mistaken), bridged the gap between the two plot wise, and became it's own series. And, much like every other SF game, each new entry effectively replaces the former versions.

Granted, SFA is a little different, because it uses a numbering standard, rather than "Super", "Hyper", "tournament edition" and etc. And SFA3 is seen as a totally separate set of events from SFA and SFA2 (which are not). But it generally follows all of the standards of the entire SF series. It was born as one game, and became a series unto itself.
>>
I could never get into SF2 even though I started gaming on the SNES, bu somehow Alpha 2 with the anime style really got me.

When games got the anime bug all throughout the 90's, it was glorious.
>>
google.com
wikipedia.com
>>
>>2919925
>what is the difference between mainline Street Fighter and the Alpha series?

There isn't one, since Alpha is part of the mainline continuity.

1, A1, A2, 2, U4, 3, 3TS is the current canon order, and 5 will get slotted in there somewhere when it gets released, though current predictions put it near the end or at the end of the timeline.
>>
>>2920008

Did you know what he meant or do you have autism?
>>
>>2920015
Every main iteration of Street Fighter are all different, why single out Alpha?
>>
Storywise, Alpha comes after 1 but before 2; since Capcom can't count the order the games go storywise right now is 1 -> Alpha -> 2 -> 4 -> 5 -> 3

Roster-wise, Alpha added a bunch of new side characters including carry-overs from SF1 (eg. Gen, Adon, Birdie) and Final Fight (eg. Guy, Cody, Rolento) along with some original ones (eg. Rose, Sakura, Karin)

Gameplay-wise, A1 had chain combos (removed in later games), Alpha Counter (lets you retaliate while you're blocking an attack) and blocking attacks while jumping; A2 had a 3-tier super meter and introduced custom combos; and A3 had 3 different modes you could choose to, basically splitting the aforementioned A2 mechanics in half (A-Ism and V-Ism) and adding a third mode that played more like SF2 (X-Ism)
>>
Its really not a spinoff at all, its called Street Fighter 0 in Japan, its just suppose to take place before SF2.

Its a mainline game.
>>
>>2920015
it's called having a brain and using it you fucking child
>>
>>2920034

TWENTY WALLACE AND GROMIT VHS TAPES. Now can you hear me? God fucking damn dude. Get some shut eye. The surgeon is watching.
>>
so what was 'ex' ?
>dem 3 on 1 fights
>>
>>2920559
ex3 sucked

ex+a and ex+2 are good though

all have great soundtracks
>>
Because Alpha 1 was basically a spur of the moment thing after Capcom's attempts at making fighting games other than Street Fighter weren't panning out. They knew they had to make something with the Street Fighter name on it quickly, but It wouldn't really be big enough to warrant being herald as "Street Fighter 3". So they made a quick, cheap game in under half a year, and it sold enough to get sequels of its own. In the meantime, behind the scenes they were pouring lots of time and money into what would become Street Fighter 3.
>>
It goes like this
>Street Fighter
>Alpha 2 (Alpha 1 isn't canon)
>Alpha 3
>SF2
>SSF2T
>SFIV
>SF III
>3rd Strike
Who knows where SF V can be placed but that isn't retro nor is IV
>>
>>2920687
>Capcom's attempts at making fighting games other than Street Fighter weren't panning out
Except the Marvel ones.
>>
>>2920765
The only one that existed at that point was Children of the Atom, and it didn't do well in Japan.
>>
Also it becoming a prequel was in large part due to some revamped illustrations of the SF1 cast that Bengus did at the time for a magazine article about the history of Street Fighter. People really loved those, so that's why some SF1 characters came back and it was set between SF1 and SF2.
>>
File: 1452959751505.png (398KB, 423x581px) Image search: [Google]
1452959751505.png
398KB, 423x581px
>>
>>2919941
>And, much like every other SF game, each new entry effectively replaces the former versions.
Not true. SFA1 and SFA2 do have some overlapping with each other, but the endings in SFA1 shows stuff not in SFA2 (like Ken meeting Eliza for the first time and Sodom reuniting ex-Mad Gear members) and vice versa. SFA3 takes place after the events of SFA2.

>>2920727
>Alpha 2 (Alpha 1 isn't canon)
[citation needed]
>>
>>2920015

This. No one gives a fuck about the shitty story.
>>
Alpha series is (was?) a prequel to SF2.
>>
File: 1260997190935.jpg (231KB, 1000x1270px) Image search: [Google]
1260997190935.jpg
231KB, 1000x1270px
>>2919954

Here here!
>>
>>2924343
I'm here.
>>
>>2919941
Alpha in japanese took placer before SF1 but they gave sagat his scar so ooops
>>
>>2924283
Alpha 1's endings contradict almost every other game in the franchise. From the top of my head:
- Charlie dies (although he "dies" in his A2 and A3 endings too)
- Chun-li finds Bison, but is defeated (Bison doesn't kill her, oddly)
- Sagat finds Ryu in Ryu's ending, but he's still looking for him in A2
- Rose "drains" Bison, although in A2 she's still looking for him

One thing that's odd is that it's the only time that Gouken's daughter (or something like that) and Goutetsu (Gouken's and Akuma's master) ever appear in the series.

>>2920559
EX was a spin-off done by Arika. It was the first step of the series in the 3D realm. That's why it has all those new characters, and none of them appeared in a mainline SF.
>>
>>2924561
most of the new characters in Ex are just clones of the old cast with alternate costumes, with some exceptions
>>
>>2924283
http://www.eventhubs.com/guides/2010/jun/03/street-fighter-series-plot-guide/
>Street Fighter Alpha (the first game) was officially declared by Capcom to be non-Canon and all of the events in Street Fighter Alpha 2 and 3 take precedence over the first title.
>>
Honestly tho I think eventually they are just going to pull a MKX and reboot the series.
>>
>>2924598
SFV is already considered a soft reboot because the logo is STREET FIGHTER(S) with the actual numeric behind it.

the plot will be nonsense like the rest anyways
>>
>>2924574
How is pullum a clone of. Dhalsim
>>
>>2919925
I'm not sure you're completely clear on what the word "ostensibly" means. I actually used to think it meant something else as well until I looked it up.
>>
>>2926207
Pullum is a clone of Cammy.
Kairi, Allen are shotoclones.
Cracker Jack is obviously a clone of Balrog.
Darun is obviously a clone of Zangief.

Skullomania, Hokuto, Doctrine Dark, Garuda and Blair appear to be original.
>>
>>2926215
>ostensibly {adv} [outwardly appearing as such]

He used it the right way.
>>
>>2926252
Doctrine is a clone of Rolento.
>>
>>2926336
>>2926383
Why don't you two go to merriam webster and see who's the most autistic fagget
>>
deleted my post without conceding, from what I read maybe the use is ok but it is generally geared towards "supposedly" or officially.
>>
File: 226.jpg (27KB, 600x498px) Image search: [Google]
226.jpg
27KB, 600x498px
>>2926403
>deleted my post without conceding
>>
>>2920727
Are you sure SSF2T and original SFIII actually matter in the plot? As far as I knew, basically every numbered FS was just a series of games that over wright each other. So wouldn't it be:

>SF
>SFA2 (probably SFA2 Gold, specifically)
>SFA3 (probably Double Upper)
>SSF2T (or whatever the last version was)
>HSFIV
>SFIIITS
>SFV (??????)

I could be wrong, as I don't keep up with this shit anymore, but I actually thought that's how it goes, officially. Can you set me straight?
>>
>>2926474
Super Street Fighter IV happens specifically after Street Fighter IV, because some characters mention SFIV happening a few months ago (I think specifically Ken).
>>
Alpha has a bunch of anime characters, custom combos and it's pretty much borked at tourney level
>>
My personal whacky idea of the SF timeline
>Slam Masters-->Slam Masters II---->SF 1--FF 1-->SFA 2--Rival Schools-->Final Fight 2--->SFA 3--->Project Justice----->SSF 2T----->SF IV-->SSF IV----->SF III 2nd Impact---->SF III 3S
>>
Not one timeline here contains SF 2010?!

*insert strong expletives here*
>>
>>2927254

The forgotten SF.........I wonder if they'll ever reference it.
Thread posts: 44
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.