[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are there any hidden gems left to discover by the retro gaming

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 5

Are there any hidden gems left to discover by the retro gaming "community" (with BIG quotation marks) on the NES/Famicom?
>>
if it's hidden then how the fuck should we know?
>>
I recently discovered Holy Diver, pretty awesome but almost Ghosts n' Goblins difficulty.
>>
Plenty of people have started all games on the system so your best bet are Japanese text heavy games that scare off the illiterates from other sites.
>>
>>2917741
For individuals? Yes. For the online retro community at large? No.
>>
>>2917852
Sure there's translation patches for a lot of that stuff though. No worries.
>>
>>2917758
Thanks, there's quite a few in there I haven't played yet!
>>
>>2917758
NES?
wow i hought was SNES
this game titles are very COLORFUl, and beauiful
A E S T H E T I C
MORE?
>>
Lagrange Point, great graphics and soundtrack for a NES. Get the translation here http://agtp.romhack.net/project.php?id=lagrange
>>
>>2918151
If there's a translation then it's no longer hidden.
There should still be a lot of untranslated games left.
>>
Megami Tensei II
Super Spy Humter
Faxanadu
King of Kings
Astyanax
Meikyuu Jiin Dababa
nazo no murasamejou
>>
>>2919126
Faxanandu is breaddy good.

I wish there were more Zelda 2 style games.
>>
>>2917751
I love that song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhGEGIBGLu8
>>
>>2919368
It is based on that song, oddly enough.
>>
>>2917741
There are still some untranslated simulation games, a few untranslated RPGs, and TONS of untranslated adventure games that look like they're potentially amazing games but nobody's really putting any effort into translating.
>>
>>2920258
Why spend effort on translating something when I could play games in the time?
It seems more reasonable that you spend the effort to learn the language.
>>
>>2920294
>learning a shit tier language that no one cares about
>>
>>2920612
>no one cares
>on the eastern animation bbs
>>
There are a few "gems" that I didn't discover until later on, which include:

Dungeon Magic: Sword of the Elements - A criminally underrated first-person RPG. Unlike the other first-person games available for the NES, this one isn't turn-based. You actually move around and fight enemies in real time. It feels very much like a proto Elder Scrolls.

Deadly Towers, Hydlide - It's hard to recommend these to general audiences, but if you've already played damn near every RPG for the NES or are masochistic when it comes to difficulty, then here you go. Deadly Towers may be the most difficult game for the system, and Hydlide's mechanics are downright unfair.

8 Eye's - No one ever talks about this blatant Castlevania rip-off. It's like CV based in a post-apocalyptic setting. The environments are a lot more open than, say, CV1. You can backtrack all you want through each area, and you can clear the areas in whatever order you prefer.

Dig Dug II - The only console port of this arcade classic, unless you count that one emulated collection for DS. I thought it was much more fun and clever than the original game. The mechanics are entirely different though. Your objective is to defeat enemies by jackhammering into fault lines, causing a section of the island to sink and take the enemies with it.

Cybernoid: The Fighting Machine - I think this is a port of a C64 or Amiga title. It definitely didn't have an AAA budget, but it's a pretty cool shoot-'em-up with emphasis on exploration. Each stage (and there are only three stages) is a labyrinth full of traps and obstacles. You have to use your ship's repertoire of non-replenishable weapons strategically to navigate through these obstacles.

RoboWarrior, Fester's Quest - If you liked Blaster Master's overhead sequences, then these two titles may be right up your alley. RoboWarrior is like a crossover between Blaster Master and Bomberman, while Fester's Quest is pretty much an identical clone of Blaster Master's overhead sequences.
>>
>>2920650
(continued)

Trojan - If you liked Ghosts 'n Goblins, this is another difficult Capcom platformer for the NES, only this time based on a post-apocalyptic setting.

Tetris 2 - This was Bullet-Proof Software's answer to Sega's Columns. The gameplay is fairly similar. Blocks of different-colored composition fall onto the board, and you clear blocks by matching three or more of the same color, rather than clearing rows. Clearing all the flashing blocks from the board ends the current round, then you progress to a slightly more challenging round with more blocks. Unlike the original Tetris, drop speed never increases; instead, you specify drop speed from the configuration menu before starting a new game.

Assorted other "gems" I never see mentioned, but nonetheless don't feel like providing a commentary for: Demon Sword, Quarth, Frakenstein: The Monster Returns, Gauntlet II, Guerrilla War, Iron Tank, Star Soldier, Kabuki: Quantum Fighter, Millipede, Kiwi Kraze, Power Blade, Power Blade 2, Shatterhand, Vice: Project Doom, Zombie Hunter. Some of these are imports.
>>
>>2917741
Ofcourse. Most gamers and communities are utterly casual and don't actively look for games. Like oh I don't know, /vr/.
Like, if you ever had the slightest interetest in knowing what kind of good games were released only in Japan you'd know all the answers that have
been mentioned so far in this thread. Most of the answers can even be summerized in one picture. >>2917758 And shit's not even obscure. DuckTales 2, Kid Icarus, Solstice etc are probably the most hidden gems to /vr/, but they're not hidden.

>>2917745
You just have to find a game that basically noone else knows.

>>2919179
>I wish there were more Zelda 2 style games.
There are, you just never looked for them. Zelda 2 didn't even invent that style. It copies Xanadu's style.

My contribution:
Isolated Warrior and the largely unknown, yet vast library of rail shooters.
https://railshooters.wordpress.com/category/systems/nes/
>>
>>2920693
Man what a smug and uptight post.

Pull that stick out of your ass, pal.
>>
>>2920693
This is what happens when you've spent so much time gaming that you've come to the realization that you have zero social skills, athletic ability, creativity, or just the basic skill of understanding people on an emotional level, so you validate your wasted life by acting above people that enjoy the hobby you used to love.
>>
>>2920675
>Shatterhand

My fucking African American, that game is tits.
>>
>>2920675
>Tetris 2

What next, Titanic 2?
>>
>>2920693
>It copies Xanadu's style.
There's no game really like Xanadu
>>
Death Race
>>
>>2921137
People say this, but I've checked out gameplay... and honestly it doesn't look like Zelda 2 at all...

Like I guess, but you have to really look at it really skewed.
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.