[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ZELDA NES

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 2

File: Legend_of_Zelda_NES.png (4KB, 256x224px) Image search: [Google]
Legend_of_Zelda_NES.png
4KB, 256x224px
I'm about to try and take a crack at this game again. I try not to play it with a guide but I just run around not knowing what to do with myself. Any tips for this game so I can play it correctly?
>>
Make maps, take notes, and bomb everything.
>>
Push blocks
Bomb things
Burn bushes
Use the flute on the empty fairy lake
>>
>>2916735
I heard you can sword walls to explore secret exits. How?
>>
>>2916735
Be a kid with tons of free time on your hands, and be friends with other kids that also have tons of free time on their hands. The game was designed to be worked over and discussed by many, to have its secrets (good or bad) spread amongst friends, and for dogged adventurers to hunt all day for the next missing link.

I've never done second quest before, it's a goal of mine to do it unaided with other people (also unaided) and come out of it with a detailed, handmade map and a glow of success.
>>
>>2916735
I really don't know if it is possible to get through this game in today's ADD riddled world. When this is all you have as a kid in the 80's and your parents leave you alone it is possible to find everything, but with the internet at your fingertips and a million distractions I don't think most people would stick with it. Let us know how you do. It's a neat experiment.

This game has more hidden secrets than Zelda II Adventure of Link, but I thought that game's secrets were even more obscure. There is a hidden village that took me months to find. It's not even a matter of trial and error, it's just playing long enough to accidentally find the answer.
>>
>>2916781
>There is a hidden village that took me months to find. It's not even a matter of trial and error, it's just playing long enough to accidentally find the answer.

Someone tells you that there's a hidden town in that small forest, though. Even if you didn't know that, after exploring all the tiles you would eventually start knocking down trees since there's only three things you can even do on the overworld.
>>
>>2916735
Are you going to use the instruction manual with its map though?
>>
>>2916847
Might as well
>>
File: gfs_29025_1_4[1].jpg (3KB, 256x240px) Image search: [Google]
gfs_29025_1_4[1].jpg
3KB, 256x240px
>>2916927
It's what the game says to do.
>>
>There is a hidden village that took me months to find. It's not even a matter of trial and error, it's just playing long enough to accidentally find the answer.

That took me like 5 minutes to do... it's a very weird looking area... video game experience tells you that has to be something.
>>
In the West the game came packaged with a map of the world, you should at least look that up.

Honestly I love Zelda 1 but like others have said, some of the secrets are kind of ridiculous. There are some walls in dungeons you need to bomb with almost no indication whatsoever, and even then it can take some guess work. If you're set on not using a guide then more power to you, but like others have said the game was intended to be played by multiple people on their own so they could all share secrets while hanging out at school. Good luck getting through it on your own.
>>
>>2916847
This. Without the map your fucked. If your a poorfag just print one from the infernet.
>>
bro, you're gunna need the map badly and wanna play the dungeons in order. use one from gamefaqs or something with the dungeons numbered. otherwise you're going to mindlessly wander in circles forever.
>>
>>2917250
Is there a good, printable map that you know of? All the ones I find are high resolution maps that print like shit.
>>
>>2916735
>Any tips for this game so I can play it correctly?

When you enter a dungeon, pay attention to the level number.

If shit's too hard, back off it, grind for rupees, find heart containers, and upgrade your sword and get the blue ring.

TENTH ENEMY HAS THE BOMB.

Burn bushes; bomb walls.
>>
>>2917271
fuck it. Romhack an automap into it.

http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/796/
>>
>>2917271
You want to do it old school?
Make an 8x8 grid, make your own map.

Also some walls have secret passages, it's always in the middle.
>>
Psssht, first quest.

You're a complete pleb until you can beat the second quest.
>>
>>2917534
One step at a time. I have to walk before I can walk slightly faster.
>>
The first quest is actually really well designed.. it just doesn't become apparent until your 2nd or 3rd playthrough of the game.

I went back to this after not having touched it for like 10 years, so I thought I had basically forgotten everything about it and would get lost again.. but to my surprise I had no trouble at all getting through the first quest in proper dungeon order without a guide. The level locations really stick out in your memory once you've beaten the game for the first time. Plus I've noticed a LOT more clues pointing me in the right direction than I did the first time playing. That's a sign of really good game design.
>>
>>2917414
The idea is to not spend a lot of time on the effort. The map is fairly simple anyway. The hard part is memorizing where all the rupee locations are so you can buy shit without having to grind it out.
>>
>>2917536
I'm joking, the second quest is a bitch, if the first quest requires some "creative" thinking then the second quest requires Moon Troll Logic to pass, you have to figure where to walk through walls, guys that require you to pay them a certain amount of rupees or they FUCKING PERMANENTLY TAKE A HEART OFF YOUR LIFE METER and just cruel sections that require you to withstand long parts of dungeons without the sword.
>>
>>2916742
He's right

Instead of making a map, however, why not print out the map included with the NES and go to town

Explore and have no life, kids who played Pokemon experienced this to some level
>>
>>2917414
>Legend of Zelda overworld
>8x8
>>
I beat the game with only using the manual and looking up something on the internet like twice.

I gotta say though it's impossible to recreate what it was like in the 80s since kids at the time would look up everything if they could. Most people got through the game from discussing it at school and passing shit along the rich kid with the nintendo guide found out.
>>
>>2917551
>Plus I've noticed a LOT more clues pointing me in the right direction than I did the first time playing.
like?
>>
>>2916735

Look up a pdf of the manual that came with the game. You were expected to use it. It's extremely helpful.
>>
>>2916765
Dude, second quest is some bullshit. I went in with pure intentions of a blind run but when I finally looked they introduced some mechanics that I would have never thought of even as a experienced Zelda player.
>>
>>2919138
The second quest is bullshit, but I admire this, I wish more games had the option after you beat the game to have a remixed second quest on nightmare mode difficulty.
>>
>>2916762
I recall this only working on later LoZ titles -- LA and LttP were the earliest I remember tapping walls to find secrets.
>>
I just played through this in its entirety this week for the first time. I'm not impressed, but to be fair I wasn't expecting much. It's natural for the first game in a series this long-running to feel weak and unrefined by comparison. It will always hold historical importance of course, but today the Zelda games that really hold up are the ones made after 1990.
>>
>>2916735
Stop being 12 and grow up playing it.
>>
>>2917112
The Famicom cartridge re-release had the map too.

I mean, the original FDS version didn't have a map, but the cartridge version that came out later did.
>>
>>2916735
Read the manual.
>>
>>2917250
That's not true. I've beaten the game without a map, I actually never drew maps for the game anyway I just remembered where shit was by playing it.
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.