[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Castlevania Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 395
Thread images: 34

File: cv4.png (227KB, 418x308px) Image search: [Google]
cv4.png
227KB, 418x308px
Post a better Castlevania game than this.

Protip: You can't.

Hard mode: no Metroidvania shit.
>>
Castlevania 3.

That sure was easy, OP.
>>
Rondo of Blood is way better
>>
>>2915020
>3
Stairs.

>>2915026
>Rondo
Boring level design; moeshit and waifushit.

4 is still the King. Try harder next time.
>>
1, 3, Rondo, Bloodlines, SOTN...

Guess I'm just not a big fan of slowdown and terrible music.
>>
>>2915010
TOP TIER THREAD, ANON. HAVENT SEEN THIS ONE LAYELY.
>>
kid dracula
>>
I find Castlevania IV too long for its own good. Is still my fave though, but that nitpick alone has me coming back to the original more.
>>
>>2915049

>slowdown

Rondo has slowdowns during bossfights

>terrible music

You don't what good music is.
>>
>>2915159
>You don't what good music is.
There are two ways the SNES can produce good music:
1. Staccato style, with very short samples so the severe sample memory limitation doesn't matter (eg. Kirby games).
2. Genius composer (e. Plok!)

CV4 has neither.
>>
Dracula X on SNES. :^)
>>
>>2915183

>genius composer

But you just descibed Castlevania IV's compositions, anon.
>>
>>2915049

>Castlevania IV (or any Castlevania game)
>terrible music

it's time to stop shitposting for the day, anon.
>>
How can anyone dislike this track?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwOOTV00DP0
>>
>>2915230

Or this one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cTjcGCjluQ

I guess something something console wars and memes about SNES having low quality samples.

Low quality samples? alright, but listen to these drums and percussions, if that's low quality, I'm fine with lo-fi.
>>
>>2915010
agreed. Played though it on my retropie as soon as i got it hooked u
>>
>>2915183
>CV4
>not having genius composition
Wew lad
>Plok!
>The sound shit makes when it hits toilet water
>nothing but loopy prog rock faggotry
Beach stage had alright music, but nothing in Plok reaches Theme of Simon or Vampire Killer levels.
Compound that with the fact that SCIV was pretty much a launch title and Plok came out years later.
>>
>>2915183
Dissing the composer of Axelay and CV4. Yeah, this thread hit it's shitposting limit fast.
>>
>>2915235
Wish I could remember this one track in CV4. Had a Jazz feel to it, really smooth song.
>>
>>2915331
Submerged city?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OU7dBZcwTTY
>>
Bloodlines, Rondo, Dracula's Curse, Chronicles... take your pick.
>>
>>2915308
>hating on progressive rock
Anon, pls.
>>
CV4's major flaw is how gimmicky it is. That bumps it way down for me.
>>
I would agree with you OP, but I have yet to play SOTN which I usually hear is the best one.
>>
>>2915378
It's cool when Yes and ELO do it, because they do it well. Unlike Ploks! composer(s).
>>
>>2915349
That's the one. Thanks based Anon.
>>
>>2915374
But anon, Bloodlines is the worst 16-bit CV.

>autoscrolling, autoscrolling everywhere
>great music compositions that sound like shit on the Gen's audio chip
>bosses are as easy as IV's despite coming out 3 years later
>only 7 stages in total
>ugly and lazy background art/details
>unnecessary and silly boss rush at the end
>using gems instead of hearts for subweapons
>Morris controls worse than Simon in Super IV
>probably the lamest Dracula fight in the series (disregarding CV2)
>PAL version got censored out the ass and only runs at 50hz
>>
>>2915401
>Morris controls worse than Simon in Super IV

You're implying Simon controls badly on IV?

>probably the lamest Dracula fight in the series (disregarding CV2)

Rondo's dracula fight is also kind of lame. Looks good but it's too easy.
>>
>>2915409
Rondo is literally babby's first Castlevania so it's to be expected.
>>
>>2915425
>rare and expensive game is babby's first Castlevania

Nah. I like IV but let's be honest it's the plebbiest one.
>>
>>2915445

>a game being rare and expensive determines whether it's easy or not

How does that logic work?

Also, Rondo has been accessible for the western public since 2007 or so when it got released on PSP and Wii VC.

Also, I love both Rondo and IV, but Rondo is easier. Neither are "Pleb" because classicvanias are by default patrician.
>>
File: Nzs3Q8B.jpg (21KB, 289x292px) Image search: [Google]
Nzs3Q8B.jpg
21KB, 289x292px
>>2915393
>ELO
>>
>>2915445
If anything it's SOTN or one of its portable derivatives, they attract RPG plebs who only care about farming for rares and shit. Honestly all the linear ones are good in various ways (besides Haunted Castle I guess).
>>
Bloodlines is way better.
>>
>Tim Follin
>not the greatest vidya composer of all time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypNPxwnppU0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUQQf0P4aa4
>>
>>2915496

It's really good, but the guy who said IV's composition wasn't good was just shitposting hard.
>>
File: pepper ann blink.gif (418KB, 500x341px) Image search: [Google]
pepper ann blink.gif
418KB, 500x341px
>>2915034
>implying there are no stairs in Castlevania 4
>>
>>2915505

First time I see a tripfag on a Castlevania thread.

Congrats /cv/, our shitposting has reached new limits.
>>
>>2915496
He only did the title track for Solstice and it's a chaotic mess of a composition that has good quality samples for NES
Akrillic is good, so is Breezy Beach.

Follin is definately not at the level of Ryu Umemoto, Koshiro, Sakaguchi or Shimomura, who are adept at multiple genres and composition styles. He mainly stays in his Progressive rock safe zone and rarely ventures out. He's good, but best of all time? Not a chance.
>>
>>2915512
The ride never ends in Castlevania threads.
>>
Nice meme dude
Rondo is the best though with Akumajou densetsu coming next I have started playing SotN its good and I love the music and exploring the world but i noticed a lot of copy and paste jobs on sprites from SCIV and Rondo which kind of pisses me off though the newer sprites are very well done. Playing the fan translated JP PlayStation version. though i feel like its the only metriodvania worth a damn in the series. The GBA ones are fun but i will always prefer classicvania than Metriodvania.
>>
>>2915542

Use commas, dude.
>>
Why are Castlevania threads always "my favorite castlevania is the best and yours is shit"?
>>
>>2915034

>rondo is moeshit because there's a little girl as an unlockable optional character

/vr/ really is getting worse and worse everyday.
>>
>Castlevania music
>not posting the game with the best music
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHLsolltIJ8&list=PL1C98B0A7CD0170CB&index=5
But sure, I bet you put a lot of money into your TV and its sound system, and you can't let it go to waste.
>>
Best Castlevania track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PS8ALhXLrPg

>>2915183

I'm probably Plok's biggest fan and even I can admit the soundtrack isn't that great. There's nothing in the way of memorable melodies, the sound is thin because it used only 5 audio channels, and the samples were low quality.

Not sure if SCIV is any better, though. There's some killer (do ho ho) tracks, but even the best ones have a "MIDI" feel. Tim Follin manipulated samples with panning and portamento, sampled entire chords, and used multiple channels to smoothly fade between notes. SCIV sounds like a (brilliant) composer just fed the notes and soundfont into the SNES and called it a day.
>>
>>2915542
I always had a hard time getting that patch to work. Where did you get the ISO?
>>
>>2915685
>SCIV sounds like a (brilliant) composer just fed the notes and soundfont into the SNES and called it a day.

Really? I always thought Konami were some of the best when it came to sampling on the SNES.
IV is an early title but it still has some impressive sampling work.
The percussions, bass, flutes and organs still sound amazing.
>>
>>2915706

It's not the samples themselves that are the problem, more how they are used. String notes will suddenly cut off as the next note fades in, like the song is being played backwards. It does sound cool when staccatos is played, though.
>>
>>2915714
>String notes will suddenly cut off as the next note fades in, like the song is being played backwards.

For example in what track of IV I'm supposed to hear that?
>>
>>2915635
It's not optional if the 100% completion is based on saving your waifus and a loli plus having to watch cringeworthy animu cutscenes that are unskippable on the first playthrough.
>>
Nostalgiafags: CV1
Hipsters: CV2
Tryhards: CV3
People with taste: CV4
Weeaboos: Rondo
Sega fanboys: Bloodlines
JRPG fans: SotN
Retards: Castlevania 64
>>
Dracula X for SNES is the best one. It's actually difficult, doesn't have the cut scenes, has amazing graphics for SNES, its just straight gameplay and has a challenging final boss.
>>
>>2915530
you don't have any clue about music.
>>
File: x68kvscv4.jpg (243KB, 748x398px) Image search: [Google]
x68kvscv4.jpg
243KB, 748x398px
>nobody mentioned 68k yet
/vr/, I am disappoint. It's the superiour remake of CV1.
>>
>>2916684

>posting that bait picture again

You bumped the thread just for that? Also someone already mentioned Chronicles which includes the original X68K game.
>>
>>2915738
>bait the post

I do like Rondo though, and CV4 is fun as hell. CV3 is the best of NES Castlevania imo. I haven't played enough of Bloodlines, SotN or 2 though.
>>
>>2915626

Castlevania is a pretty awesome series overall, but their fans need to feel like special snowflakes by picking a favorite and calling everything else shit, especially the popular ones.

Castlevania is an amazing series with one of the worst fandoms, at least in the west.
>>
>>2916712
How is it a bait picture? It clearly shows how gimmicky and shitty Super's stages are.
>>
Reminder that Bloodlines is the true sequel to Dracula's Curse
>>
>>2916721

>one short part of one stage is the whole game

That's why I posted a picture of another stage that's more on par with the picture from X68K. it's a bait picture.

You post the same picture in every single Castlevania thread, same filename, etc.
>>
>>2916728

Dracula's Curse doesn't have auto-scrolling stages, gems, and an orb sub-weapon that instakills all enemies on screen.
>>
>>2916729
The fact that the stupid mode 7 stages are even in the game is proof enough for Super being shit, which is what the image is supposed to represent.

Keep crying that your favorite CV is terrible, though.
>>
File: CVX68K.png (392KB, 506x478px) Image search: [Google]
CVX68K.png
392KB, 506x478px
>>2916721

Chronicles also has "shitty gimicky" stages, pic related.

Both games are good and neither of them are actually remakes of the first Castlevania. Why don't you go play the first NES Castlevania instead of shitposting? So at least you'd know how wrong you are.
>>
>>2916743

Yeah, you're just a shitposter that hates the SNES. Wouldn't be surprised if you're actually Australia-kun.
How are we supposed to take you seriously after you come off with a response like that?

My favorite Castlevania is Dracula's Curse by the way.
>>
>>2916743
>The fact that the stupid mode 7 stages are even in the game is proof enough for Super being shit

The mode 7 stages are probably less than 1% of the whole game.

Maybe your problem is that you're playing the games in PAL? I've heard mode 7 doesn't work too well on PAL 50hz.
>>
>>2915010
I like the original, 3, and X68k more.
>>
why are these threads so shit now
>>
>>2916930

>now
>>
>>2915701
iso zone works fine with me.
>>
>>2916730
>Dracula's Curse doesn't have auto-scrolling stages
Yes it does. The one in which you have to go from the bottom of the level to the top and there are a bunch of spear knight on the platforms. Due to how the game generates enemies sometimes you can get up on the platform then the screen scrolls up and the enemy magically appears.

You should replay all the routes in Castlevania III if you don't think there is an auto-scrolling stage.
>>
I like 3 the best. The level design is easily the best in the series.
>>
>>2916730
>Dracula's Curse doesn't have auto-scrolling stages

i can think of at least two, both go from bottom to top, one being exclusive to alucard route (at the top there is a triple boss)
>>
>>2915010
>a castlevania game beter than iv
>no metroidvania

Get a load of this gramps
>>
>>2917061

Off topic, but I always wondered why is "get a load" a popular expression. I know what it means, but I always thought it was kind of weird. Maybe it's just because english is not my first language, but still.
>>
>>2915505
>missing the point
The stairs were obnoxious as fuck to traverse in the 8-bit games, unlike the 16-bit games.
>>
>>2916684

Neither of them are remakes. That's like saying SMB3 is a remake of SMB1. They're different games.
>>
>>2915010
>easyvania defense force on the roll

>>2915020
/thread
>>
>>2915680
>not posting Praying Hands
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6mftPOyQX0
>>
File: dominant nigger.jpg (1MB, 1000x1410px) Image search: [Google]
dominant nigger.jpg
1MB, 1000x1410px
>>2915010
here i'll /thread
can we please stop having these fucking threads please 14 yo??
>>
>>2915010
Oh boy! A shitposting thread!

>>2915034
>moeshit and waifushit
I don't even like Rondo but PLEASE kill yourself.

>>2915049
I like both SOTN and Super, but I've experienced WAY more slowdown in SOTN, it's not even a contest, the game would always slow down horribly when you killed a boss and they dropped their health powerup (though this is pretty much eliminated in the PS3 port).

Also, Super had fantastic music.
I'd rate it higher than SOTN simply for the fact that you don't hear the same level theme twice, unlike in SOTN where you'll frequently hear the same level theme across most of the upside down castle.

>>2915074
Haven't played it, is it good?

>>2915079
For a Classicvania, I think ths length is just about right, X honestly felt like it dragged on more in parts.

>>2915185
I really want to like it because the sound, music and graphics are so goddamn nice, but it's honestly not very fun in most parts.
>>
File: Castlevania_Xtreme_Desktop.jpg (740KB, 980x4940px) Image search: [Google]
Castlevania_Xtreme_Desktop.jpg
740KB, 980x4940px
>>2917985
It's a remake because it covers the same story of CV1. What part of that don't you understand?
>>
>>2917332
I've always kind of liked the way stairs worked in the 8-bit games. They were tense and required a lot of deliberation. The way subweapons worked on them was admittedly irritating, but I've still always appreciated what they did.
>>2918682
The issue though is that story is a very minor part of the Classicvanias. You're right, they do tell the same Simon Belmont story, but that's a pretty small detail compared to the amount of differences. Describing them as remakes isn't necessarily incorrect, but it's somewhat misleading.
>>
>>2918682

It's a retelling then of the same story then.

A remake would imply that it has the same levels, bosses and general design than CV1, but with better graphics, sound, etc. Neither IV or X68K do that, they have their own levels and bosses that aren't on CV1.
X68K's first level is very similar to CV1's first level, but the rest of the levels share more resemblance with IV or Rondo than it does to Castlevania 1.
>>
I've never played a Castlevania before and I want to give a series a shot. What's the best place to start?
>>
>>2915010

Simon's Quest.

>inb4 plebs
>>
>>2918729
Castlevania on NES, then work your way in order of release date.
>>
>>2918729
The original is a great game and worth playing, so it's not a bad idea to start there.
>>
>>2918729
Castlevania 1
>>
Rondo, Bloodlines, and SOTN are all better

I don't even like the genesis that much but Bloodlines kicks ass
>>
>>2919023
>SOTN

OP said no metroidvania but I guess you don't play on hard mode
>>
>>2918682
Castlevania Legends

What do they have against that game anyway?
>>
SOTN is much better
>>
>>2919043
apples are better than oranges?
>>
>>2919043
Sure if you love walking through a bunch of boring copypasted hallways while fighting some easy as hell enemies.

Classicvania > Metroidvania
>>
File: Dracula's Curse.jpg (119KB, 727x1024px) Image search: [Google]
Dracula's Curse.jpg
119KB, 727x1024px
>>2915391
One of the best games ever made. In the top 50, easy. You should play it.

>>2915010
I prefer Symphony of the Night, and Castlevania III.
Super Castlevania IV has good controls, but Dracula's Curse has better stage design and characters, while SoTN has deeper, more involved gameplay.
>>
>>2918771
>>2918776
>>2918781
Well I guess that settles that
>>
>>2918729
Castlevania 1
The Super Castlevania.

Then if you wanna try out the Metroidvanias, well, they're all fine, but most suggest to start with Symphony, and I will as well.
The handheld ones are all pretty alright.

>>2919316
I like Symphony a lot but I hesitate to call it the best at anything, it's a good game, but it's sort of cluttered and messy, and the second half of the game is kind of thinly spread.
It's absolutely worth playing and I encourage it, but be careful you don't talk up the game too much, you might set up people for disappointment.

Altough I guess it's a matter of preference. I think Doom, Duke3D and Half-Life are the best shooters of their eras but many would insist that I'm wrong and that Quake or Unreal are much better.

Someone will no doubt go ape because I brought up the GBA and DS games in passing.
>>
>>2919821
>GBA and DS
Fuck off.
>>
>>2921316
Reverse sage =^)
>>
File: 1451883187702.gif (2MB, 500x362px) Image search: [Google]
1451883187702.gif
2MB, 500x362px
>>2922129
>Reverse sage
>>
File: Dracula_x_(j)_front.jpg (141KB, 600x598px) Image search: [Google]
Dracula_x_(j)_front.jpg
141KB, 600x598px
>>2915010
Checkmate.
>>
>>2922660
>Moeshit: The Game
Fuck off weeb.
>>
>>2923809
It isn't a bad game though. It has hidden pathways, a very mobile belmont, a cd quality soundtrack. If your only complaint is in regard to it's anime art style then I don't quite understand your frustration considering it was only released in Japan originally.
>>
>>2923809
Castlevania IV's aesthetics are much worse

poor graphics even for non-snes standards, and massive amounts of purple, orange and green
>>
Bloodlines might not be best but its sure as fuck better than iv

Two characters to choose from
Way better music
Better graphics
Better level design and variety

The whip is all iv has got going for it
>>
File: scvidancing-ghosts.jpg (24KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
scvidancing-ghosts.jpg
24KB, 320x240px
>>2923831

I think you're a bit extremist on your hate for IV.
Although the guy calling Rondo "moeshit" is also an idiot, I'm sure he's just baiting/joking.

>>2923843

>Way better music

I don't think there's a single Castlevania game with bad music, and I love Yamane's compositions on Bloodlines. But I personally prefer IV's.

>Better level design and variety

eh.
>>
>>2923809

what the fuck are you talking about
>>
File: Rondo-Maria.png (18KB, 512x448px) Image search: [Google]
Rondo-Maria.png
18KB, 512x448px
>>2924114

Maria is moe as fuck yo.

Not that it's a bad thing.
>>
>>2924118
Kill yourself pedo.
>>
Was Super Castlevania ever a pack-in game for the SNES? It demonstrates s lot of the system's capabilities, it was available very early, and the first playthrough is rather newbie friendly.

>>2923809
>i'm so manly and mature

>>2923827
Because he has terminal aspergers.

>>2923843
I think they're both about as good oneefam.

>>2923854
>I don't think there's a single Castlevania game with bad music
This, even that super mediocre one for the PS2 had great music.

>>2924186
>angry about pedos on 4chan
lol newfag
>>
Of all those aria of sorrow i liked the most but i didnt play any as a child.
The soul finding and big weapons with their ranges and stuff, just awesome for a gba game.
I also liked the bosses and dialouges
>>
>>2924547
>Was Super Castlevania ever a pack-in game for the SNES?

No, I think only Nintendo-published games had bundles with the system, but SCV IV was one of the most popular earliest titles along with SMW and F-Zero.
>>
>>2924736
Huh, that makes sense I guess.
I know SMB All-Stars was a pack-in, and it's a sensible choice for that, but I guess they'd go for s first party title.

Super Castlevania would have been a very good demonstration and introduction to the SNES, kind of like Altered Beast but just way bett
>>
>>2915542

Why do you need a translation? Okay, I guess you did say it was your first time through. Shit, I switched to the JP version a million years ago for the extra items but I have the whole goddamn script memorized at this point.
>>
>>2915680
>New Messiah
yes
>>
>>2919316
>SotN
>deeper, more involved gameplay
>>
>post "bump"
>bump the thread
>delete your own post so that nobody will see your faggotry

I saw you.
>>
File: buck-103-hawk.jpg (37KB, 500x373px) Image search: [Google]
buck-103-hawk.jpg
37KB, 500x373px
>>2915308
>HATING ON PLOK

Fuck off, newfag. Show some fucking respect to real composers.
>>
>>2915049
>Terrible music
consider me triggered
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVN8CA-Ufkk&index=5&list=PL2528F4AB5484907F
>>
the castlevanias

1 > X68K > Rondo > Bloodlines > 3 > 4 > the rest

the first four are kind of subject to be swapped around though. Legendary run of games.
>>
>>2915020
>>2915026
/thread
>>
>>2930708
Bloodlines has too many autoscrollers to be legendary.
>>
>>2930785

Choose one you undecided faggot.

>>2930790

And 3 and 4 also deserve the title of legendary, much to anyone's dismay.
I don't think the autoscrolling segments of Bloodlines are that bad though. Then again I also don't mind the (short) mode 7 levels on IV.
I feel like people just nit pick minor stuff (that aren't even necessarily bad) just to shit on a game, especially both IV and Bloodlines since they kind of represent the SNES vs Genesis war in Castlevania threads. lame.
>>
File: sophisticated computer users.png (104KB, 450x300px) Image search: [Google]
sophisticated computer users.png
104KB, 450x300px
Rondo > 3 > 68k > 4 > 1 > Bloodlines
>>
>>2929025
The music in Castlevania IV is different than the other ones. I like Simon's Theme but other than that they don't stand out as much as the other Castlevania games sound tracks.
>>
>>2931019

You don't think Clockwork Mansion stands out? it's one of the best Castlevania themes IMO, I like it better than Simon's Theme even.
I also think not all Castlevania tunes stand out necessarily, stages 2 and 4 from Castlevania 1 are alright, but not as memorable.
There's usually a couple "hit" tracks, then the others are just alright, although personally I think all Castlevania music is great, but the stand out tracks, the "hits" are always just a couple per game. Vampire Killer on 1, Bloody Tears on 2, Beginning on 3, Simon's Theme from 4, Reincarnated Soul from Bloodlines, Divide Bloodlines from Rondo, New Messiah from Belmon't Revenge, and I could go on.

The "hits" are not necessarily the best though (which is also a subjective appreciation), as I said I prefer Clockwork Mansion from 4 before Simon's Theme, and I feel it's definitely Castlevania as fuck. From 1 I prefer Wicked Child to Vampire Killer, etc.

I feel the one game that truly feels different was SOTN, feels more orchestra/suite rather than the goth rock-style of the classicvanias.
>>
>>2930960
Almost
3 > Rondo > 68k > 4 = 1 = Bloodlines
> 2
>>
>>2931058
>Bloodlines on the same level as 1 or 4
Still wrong.

4 > 3 > 68K > 1 > Rondo > Adventure ReBirth > Dracula XX > Bloodlines
>>
>>2931071
So what do you have against Bloodlines that would make you instantly pick it out and rank it so low?
>>
>>2931043
It is good, but none of the songs really grabbed me as much as a lot of the songs from the NES Castlevania games.
>>
>>2931076
Because it was a bad game, anon.

We've gone over its flaws before.
>>
>>2931092

Why do you need to shitpost? we're having a (semi) civil thread for once.
>>
>>2931092
What, auto scrolling stages? If so then why is Castlevania 3 so high since it has at least one auto scrolling stage of its own that tends to be worse than Bloodlines possibly just due to the NES hardware or design due to no smooth scrolling?
>>
>>2931143
Only 7 stages, some of the easiest bosses in the series, controls are inferior to Super's despite being released 3 years later, background art is ugly as fuck, the blue orb subweapon is too powerful, audio quality is tinny shit because of the sound card, level design ranges from mediocre to garbage (autoscrolling sections, mirror part in the last level), Death boss rush was stupid and unnecessary, gems instead of hearts for subweapons, can't play as a true Belmont, no secrets or branching paths like IV or Rondo, etc.
>>
>>2931271
>controls are inferior to Super's despite being released 3 years later
I don't see how the controls are inferior, they control like the NES games. They are very responsive.
> background art is ugly as fuck
That is an opinion, they never bothered me.
> blue orb subweapon is too powerful
And consumes more gems and goes away after getting hit I believe.
>audio quality is tinny shit because of the sound card
Genesis sound card is great, gives sharp and defined sounds.
>level design ranges from mediocre to garbage (autoscrolling sections, mirror part in the last level)
There isn't anything wrong with the auto-scrolling sections unless you cannot perform under pressure. The spliced stage near the end isn't even that bad, you just have to pay attention to where you are in various parts of the screen which you should already be doing while playing a Castlevania game.
> Death boss rush was stupid and unnecessary
How so? I don't mind boss rushes at all.
>gems instead of hearts for subweapons, can't play as a true Belmont
And?
>no secrets or branching paths like IV or Rondo, etc.
I don't recollect any branching paths in IV, but I do know depending upon the character you choose in Bloodlines you have to take a different path due to Morris not knowing the super jump but can swing with his whip.
>>
>>2931271
>controls are inferior to Super's
No. They go back to a more classic control, but they're not inferior.
>level design ranges from mediocre to garbage
I like it. I wish they were a bit less gimmicky though.
>gems instead of hearts
Who cares.
>can't play as a true Belmont
Who cares. Morris plays the exact same.
>no secrets or branching paths
I don't see how that's a fault either.
>>2930960
>>2931058
>>2931071
Ranking them is difficult for me, so it varies. But generally:
3 > X68000 > 1 > ReBirth > IV > Rondo > Bloodlines > Dracula XX

Not sure where I'd put Belmont's Revenge. Probably between Rondo and Bloodlines. The only game mentioned I don't love is XX.
>>
>>2931290
>goes away after getting hit I believe.

No, that's the powered up whip, the orb is a sub-weapon.

>I don't recollect any branching paths in IV

No branching paths but there's a few secret areas on IV, like the "bizarre room" on stage 6 with the ghosts of the mand and the dog, and another one on the treasury (this one I didn't learn until recently, blew my mind).

Not him btw, I like Bloodlines as well.
>>
Dracula X is better.
>>
I have this feel that the ones who worship Castlevania 4 simply love wearing their nostalgia goggles. Let me guess - you are 30 something old fags and you had the joy to experience the amazing jump from NES vania to SNES? I bet it made quite an impression that does not wear off to this day (because you're a sentimental faggot), but the fact is that Castlevania 4 isn't THAT good. The music is pretty good for the most part, although some tracks try way too hard to be atmospheric, and it doesn't work at times, because shit is putting me to sleep, yo. Then there is the Mode 7 gimmick which totally doesn't feel forced or anything. And my main gripe is the boss battles - no need to learn patterns, develop ANY strategy, because all you need to do is mash the attack button as fast as you can.
>>
>>2932469

>nostalgia

welcome to /vr/, most people here defend their childhood nostalgia with a passion. Castlevania fans do it, Sega fans do it, Nintendo fans do it, etc.

I played Castlevania IV for the first time when I was 19 or 20, my first Castlevania games when I was a kid and the ones I'm more nostalgic for were arguably some of the hardest (1 and Dracula X), and IV is one of my favorites and possibly my favorite one despite not having strong nostalgia for it since I didn't play it on release, and when I played it, the PS2 and Gamecube were already out.

>mode 7

the mode 7 stages are, what, 4 or 5 minutes of the total game? they're just an intermission on pretty long and great level that is the clockwork mansion.

As for boss battles, the same can be said about Rondo and Bloodlines, really. And even some bosses on the earliest titles are like that.
Medusa on Castlevania 1? Just use the clock (which you can get just before getting to her) to stop time and whip away. The mummies? Just duck on the corner and whip away.
Also not all of IV's bosses are just "mash button", for example the dancing ghosts are more of a platforming skill test than anything else.

Castlevania IV actually IS that good. But the same can be said about pretty much all of the classic series bar a few exceptions. People who try to nitpick "mode 7" or "this one track is too ambient, make me sleepy yo" are just trying to hate the game for the tiniest reasons, same as people bashing Bloodlines for "autoscrolling levels" and "gems instead of hearts", or people hating on Rondo because "moeshit".
It's all shitposting, if you ask me.
You start off your post by trying to get a reaction out of "30 something old fags", well, again, welcome to /vr/.
>>
>>2932479

Not every post that you disagree with is a shitpost, but whatever. I grew up with Castlevania 1 and 2 myself (yeah, yeah...), later got hooked on GBA ones and tried Vania4 when I was around 20 myself. I didn't like it and those "nitpicks" were my actual complaints from my own experience. But anyway... Since the last time I tried playing it was maybe ten years ago I'll try giving it another spin.

P.S. People putting down Rondo due to "moeshit" are beyond help =/
>>
>>2932479
Basically all of 4's bosses are bad. Only Death and Dracula are solid.

It's disingenious to say that the other games in the series have bosses that weak. Yes, there are some weak links (Medusa and the mummies in the first game suck, Elizabeth in Bloodlines is really pathetic), but no game in the series has as consistently poor bosses as 4. Especially not Rondo, which has the best lineup of bosses in the series (werewolf, dullahan, Death, CV1 boss rush, Shaft, Shaft's ghost - all excellent fights).
>>
>>2928650
Eat a dick autist. Your "real composer" made some dumpy prog rock for a few shitty games (one being so bad it wasn't even released) and then fell off the face of the Earth.
>>
>>2932549
Rondo of Blood's Death fight had me hyped.
>>
>>2915757
>wahhhh you don't think Follin is the be all end all vidya music composer
I know that he never got a worldwide, sold out tour for him music either.
Follins been relegated to the dust bin of VG music, a literal "who?" that a vocal minority prop up on occasion. The games he has worked on are more notable for how atrocious they play. His few advocates are some of the most venomous Spergs on /vr/.
>>
>>2915757
The fact that you didn't provide any repudiation to the claims and went straight for the ad hominem attack speaks volumes.
>>
>>2932498
>Not every post that you disagree with is a shitpost, but whatever

Well, I thought it was kind of shitpost-y because of how it started, "you 30 year something nostalgiafags", etc...
And I think people putting down any good Castlevania for minor things need help. It's ok if you don't like some things that much, but a short 1 minute mode 7 stage or one track that you don't like that much doesn't mean the game is bad, same for the people shitting on Rondo for Maria, or Bloodlines for the gems.

>>2932549

Nah the dancing ghosts are a pretty fun and unique boss fight.
And are you including Slogra and Gaibon with Death?

And while I think the Rondo bosses are cool as hell, I don't think they're harder than the IV bosses.
The only one I'd say puts up a really good fight is werewolf, the rest are too easy.
>>
>>2932910
Rondo easily had the best bosses of the Classicvanias, that Shaft collage and then the Shaft rematch were pretty good, Death was alright (would've been better if he had a hitbox), Minotaur and the eye and dullahan are pretty cool fights, werewolf was the most annoying because sometimes he'll stall by wallclimbing.
>>
File: draculaX_necromancer.jpg (63KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
draculaX_necromancer.jpg
63KB, 800x600px
>>2933559

I was a bit unimpressed by the Shaft fights. But yeah, most of the fights are cool, the Minotaur is amazing (when he breaks the door and comes out, amazing). The skeleton monster boss is also pretty cool, but the fights themselves are just alright, it's mostly the design of the bosses what make them good, same can be said about IV's bosses, the golem that gets smaller when you hit him, or fighting the mummy standing on the clock's hands is pretty cool, also the sword knight that breaks the glass and jumps in, but the fights are all fairly easy.

I love Werewolf because he jumps all over the place and he goes crazy, he can still fuck me up if I'm not careful (or don't abuse item crash), all the other boss fights seem pretty simple compared to it. He also has a cool intro sequence to top it off.

I think Dracula X on SNES did a better job with bosses, Necromancer is a great fight.
Death is also a lot more menacing and harder on DX.
>>
>>2915401
>>autoscrolling, autoscrolling everywhere
It's a challenge, dipshit.
>>great music compositions that sound like shit on the Gen's audio chip
Sorry if you hate bass and a great, distinctive sound. I'll take it over the low quality, muffled Snes chip any day.
>>bosses are as easy as IV's despite coming out 3 years later
Bosses in CV are always easy when you know how to beat them.
>>only 7 stages in total
7 huge stages.
>>ugly and lazy background art/details
That's just silly.
>>unnecessary and silly boss rush at the end
Too hard for you?
>>using gems instead of hearts for subweapons
They work the same, why does that trigger you?
>>Morris controls worse than Simon in Super IV
IV has some weird controls used to casualise the game, sorry if you liked that shit,
>>probably the lamest Dracula fight in the series (disregarding CV2)
It has multiple stages, so it's better than IV. Rondo probably has the lamest.
>>PAL version got censored out the ass and only runs at 50hz
The NTSC U and PAL versions of IV were also censored and the PAL version ran at 50hz natively. If you don't like censorship then I hope you're playing the Japanese version of IV.
>>
Rondo > III > NG > Chronicles > VK > 1 > II > IV
>>
>>2933645
Well meme'd my friend.
>>
>>2933740
Hi, James.
>>
>>2933634
The boss rush is pretty unfair in the NA version, you don't get health refills and if you die at any point it's all the way to the beginning. I heard it's a bit minimized by having your subweapons deal full damage but it's still too much.
>>
>>2933770
The bosses have half HP, though.
>>
>>2933767
>forming your opinions based on e-celebs' views
Now that's what I call sad.

You IV haters need to go kill yourselves.
>>
>>2933634

Your arguments against IV are just as stupid as his arguments against Bloodlines.

Why don't you guys just get a room and have wild fanboy console war homosex and be done with it?
>>
>>2933834
I'm a girl, anon.
>>
>>2933838

And who said the other anon wasn't a girl as well?
>>
>>2933840
It's not homo if girls have sex.
>>
>>2933879
Only because it isn't sex.
>>
>>2933879

Anyway, I highly doubt that a girl would

1) be on the internet
2) post on /vr/
3) post on Castlevania threads
4) discuss classicvanias
5) engage in 4th gen console war

it's like, maybe some girls do post on /vr/, maybe some like castlevania (SOTN, because of Alucard), but the others are very very unlikely.
>>
>>2932582
sorry for that, i'll answer with objective arguments. Tim Follin has done tremendous work on the ZX Spectrum, C64, Amiga, NES, SNES, Genesis, Dreamcast etc. I don't think any of the names you chose has worked on so many different platforms. If you can, prove me wrong. On every of these platforms has has done outstanding work that is also regarded as such ... not only by me. I can give you enough examples. On all of these platforms he exhaustet or even extended the limits. Just listen to this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iz46pCROkjM&index=14&list=PL867618273081EB92
It's on a ZX spectrum. The ZX has no sound chip, it has a beeper. A motherfucking BEEPER.
Or Time Trax for the Mega Drive/Genesis. Sorry, it's at least the most spectacular arragement on the Genesis that i know of.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqyEbu8cmMg&index=8&list=PL867618273081EB92
And last but not leat it's exactly his progressive rock zone that puts him in a different league. NOBODY would have had the guts to try to accomplish such complex, rocking, inspired arragements under the given technical circumstances. He just knew how to deal with technical limits and had a great musical taste.
>>
What's the point of the continues in bloodlines when you can just get them back by restarting?
>>
>>2915738
Assuming this post isn't just bait. Do all CV4 fans here got into it by AVGN? Because the only thing they do is praise it and shit on everything else like he does.
I love CV4 too, but I hate how religiously fanatic people gets about it.
>>
>>2932469
I'm 23 and first played it maybe 3 or 4 years ago.
I thought it was a cool and fun game and did some interesting things with the SNES.

>And my main gripe is the boss battles - no need to learn patterns, develop ANY strategy, because all you need to do is mash the attack button as fast as you can.
I guess most of the bosses are a bit plain, but Slogra and Gaibon, Death and Drac are no cakewalks.

>mode 7
That was used so sparingly I can't believe their presence would be viewed as highly objectionable.
I mean, it's a gimmick, but it's used what, two, maybe three times, and rather briefly?
>>
>>2934631
Please don't strawman.
>>
>>2931058
This is basically my ranking, but I'd put 1 > 4
>>
>>2933770
There is a health refill, one of Deaths cards gives you health.

Not sure if it was your complaint, but if the bosses were easy then surviving a boss rush shouldn't be a problem anyway.
>>
File: golem.jpg (14KB, 256x224px) Image search: [Google]
golem.jpg
14KB, 256x224px
Super IV's golem boss shits all over Bloodlines' golem boss.
>>
>>2933634
>It's a challenge, dipshit.
It's not challenging, though. It's just annoying and slow.
>Sorry if you hate bass and a great, distinctive sound. I'll take it over the low quality, muffled Snes chip any day.
The distinctive baroque style of Castlevania more aptly suits real instruments than your Genesis farts. Sorry, but it's true.
>Bosses in CV are always easy when you know how to beat them.
Not really, I've even died randomly to some IV bosses on some playthroughs even though I know the game in and out.
>7 huge stages.
Exaggeration.
>That's just silly.
No, it's true. Show me one aesthetically good looking stage in Bloodlines.
>Too hard for you?
No. Instead of giving us a challenging Death fight, Konami instead rehashed earlier bosses (and making them weaker to boot) which was just retarded.
>They work the same, why does that trigger you?
Because hearts are a Castlevania tradition, of course.
>IV has some weird controls used to casualise the game, sorry if you liked that shit,
Simon in Super IV had the most free and smoothest controls in the series. You have shit taste if you didn't enjoy the way he handled.
>It has multiple stages, so it's better than IV. Rondo probably has the lamest.
IV has multiple phases also. When Drac hits 50% hp he transforms.
>The NTSC U and PAL versions of IV were also censored and the PAL version ran at 50hz natively. If you don't like censorship then I hope you're playing the Japanese version of IV.
What censorship did IV have? Bloodlines' censorship removes blood and various assets.
>>
>>2934905
Dracula doesn't transform in IV, he just goes from his fireball phase into his lightening phase.
>>
>>2934907
His face gets more grotesque. Hence a transformation.
>>
>>2934910
That is like saying an older game boss transforms because they become more red the closer to death they are and also become much more aggressive.
>>
Not the biggest fan of Super Castlevania, but the box art is fucking great.
>>
>>2934905
>It's not challenging, though. It's just annoying
Are you talking about every stage in IV?
>The distinctive baroque style of Castlevania more aptly suits real instruments than your Genesis farts. Sorry, but it's true.
So only Rondo and Chronicles are suited to Castlevania music?
>Not really, I've even died randomly to some IV bosses on some playthroughs even though I know the game in and out.
Your lack of skill isn't evidence.
>No, it's true. Show me one aesthetically good looking stage in Bloodlines.
The jungle stage with the fountain, the German factory, the second stage come to mind.
>No. Instead of giving us a challenging Death fight, Konami instead rehashed earlier bosses (and making them weaker to boot) which was just retarded.
>das retarded
Good argument.
>Because hearts are a Castlevania tradition, of course.
You don't seem to mind them bucking tradition when it suits IV, as evidenced by your love of the altered, casualised control of the player
>Simon in Super IV had the most free and smoothest controls in the series. You have shit taste if you didn't enjoy the way he handled.
>IV has multiple phases also. When Drac hits 50% hp he transforms.
No he doesn't.
>What censorship did IV have? Bloodlines' censorship removes blood and various assets.
The backgrounds were changed, enemy animations were changed. The same shit as III, basically.
>>
>>2934350

Egoraptor actually thinks Super Castlevania IV is a great game, although he could never finish the game himself, on his game grumps playthrough he gave up at stage 8 after getting like a dozen game overs.
>>
>>2934938
>enemy animations were changed

I know IV removed the crosses, changed the blood from the Cellar stage into liquid, and added the statues of stage 6 some more clothes because they were nude, but I never heard of this... what enemies got their animations changed?

Also the PAL censorship of Bloodlines was much more offensive, they didn't even change graphics, they completely removed graphical assets, the game is emptier in result.
>>
>>2934943
At least he had the balls to try it. But still, all the more reason to disregard his opinion.
>>
>>2934946
The coffins were changed and the whip animation and sound effect.
>>
>>2934957

Yeah but the coffins are still there and they behave the same/have the same animation, they just removed the crosses from them which I already mentioned.

And yeah I know the whip animation and sound was changed (although it's barely noticeable), but again, where are the enemy animation changes?
>>
>>2934962
>Yeah but the coffins are still there and they behave the same/have the same animation
No, that's false.
>>
>>2934972

So which coffins are you talking about?
I just checked footage from both SFC and SNES versions of stage 6 and the coffins have the same animation, the only difference is the cross.
>>
>>2935048

So you're just bullshitting. Okay.
>>
>>2935061
No, you are.
>>
>>2935065

I'm open to admit I was wrong if you can provide proof of enemy animation differences between the different region versions.

Here's the japanese version (forward to 5:17 to see the coffins)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=deYSR56u3wo

And here's the american version (forward to 4:40)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkKDPFUUDHU
>>
>>2935071
You don't see it?
>>
>>2935097

Not him, but I don't see it either. What is it?
>>
>>2935125
The gaijin version has fewer frames of animation.
>>
File: castlevania_snapcasket.gif (1KB, 150x150px) Image search: [Google]
castlevania_snapcasket.gif
1KB, 150x150px
>>2935158

Where?
Both have the same animation where the coffin opens and closes its cover.

There's a lot of websites online that list the differences between the JP and US versions, but they only mention the crosses, no mention of any animation difference or "fewer frames".

If trolling, 8/10, you made me waste some time looking up online but I never really trusted you.
>>
>>2935175
There are four frames of animation in the Jap version, look it up.
>>
File: 1439571758726.gif (1MB, 300x169px) Image search: [Google]
1439571758726.gif
1MB, 300x169px
Jesus Christ who gives a fuck about the coffins rather than the games mechanics and how the level structure makes use of them.
>>
File: cvcoffin.gif (2KB, 206x68px) Image search: [Google]
cvcoffin.gif
2KB, 206x68px
>>2935205

the western version also has 4 frames

pic related, 4 frames, no cross.

>>2935207
where the fuck do you think you are?
>>
>>2915010
All the ones that came before it
>>
>>2935240

Including Haunted Castle and the MSX game? And the ports for C64, Amiga, etc?
>>
>>2935251

"Nintendo fans" would pride themselves for having some of the hardest in the series, like 1 and 3.

Also I'd argue the later levels of IV are harder than anything on Rondo or Bloodlines, but all post-NES Castlevania games are easy modo except for X68K and Dracula XX.
>>
>>2935254
Nes isn't cool like the SNES.
>>
>>2935257

If you say so.

Still, your "Nintendo fans" boogeymen would think both NES and SNES are cool, because they're both Nintendo.
>>
>>2934943
>>2934952
There's no reason to think he didn't beat the game on his own time prior to making that video. Not to defend Egoraptor, but playing games while trying to keep a conversation is very different than playing on your own alone.

I don't know why people get so butthurt over that video anyway. He never called the game bad. He just compared the two game styles and noted (correctly) that IV adhered to certain series conventions that it didn't really need to anymore, and suggested that the game would've been better served if it had more thoughtfully used its new mechanics instead of being awkwardly conservative in some areas.
>>
>>2935763

At the beginning of the IV playthrough, he said he never beat Castlevania IV before either.
>>
>>2935765
Oh my mistake. Still, though, I don't see how that defeats his point.
>>
>>2935770

I just commented precisely to mention that Egoraptor doesn't hate IV, he said it's a great game.
>>
File: ggjjur.jpg (12KB, 166x185px) Image search: [Google]
ggjjur.jpg
12KB, 166x185px
>>2915049
>Super Castlevania IV
>terrible music
>>
>>2934938
>Are you talking about every stage in IV?
Your hateboner for IV is amusing. You can't cite any problem with the game other than your distaste for its superior controls.
>So only Rondo and Chronicles are suited to Castlevania music?
Do you disagree that this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qq4Vhfy2NMo

sounds better than this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPwAVGyJSr8

If so, you are delusional. Unless you just have a fetish for tinny bwangs.
>Your lack of skill isn't evidence.
What's your death count of IV then, Sir Progamer?
>Good argument.
Better than your shit arguments at least. "M-muh multi-whip is bad bcuz I hate it!!!".
>You don't seem to mind them bucking tradition when it suits IV
Improving gameplay != changing Castlevania lore
>No he doesn't.
His face gets altered when his hp is halved, and his attacks become stronger. 2 phases.
>The backgrounds were changed, enemy animations were changed. The same shit as III, basically.
Fair enough, but New Generation had entire things removed rather than modified. Lazy censorship job.
>>
>>2935251
Rondo and Bloodlines are even easier than Super IV, though.
>>
>>2935787

You're arguing with a troll and he was bullshitting about "enemy animations were changed".
>>
>>2935787
>superior controls.
More flexible =/= superior.

I definitely prefer the more stiff controls of other games in the series. They're limited in a way that makes every action feel purposeful. I love IV and I enjoy the way it controls for a change of pace, but I don't think it was superior. Just different.
>>
>how to defeat medusa heads in classicvania
>whipping as to be timed. the delay makes this a bit difficult and you often rather take a jump over them, especially if there's a pit behind you

>how to defeat medusa heads in castlevania 4
>hold the whip in front of your face. done

Don't get me wrong, it's still a good game but not the flawless classic many people claim it to be. They hamfisted old concepts into the game for the sake of tradition/continuity. Why having enemies with weird attack patterns if you can whip in any direction anyway?
>>
>>2935842

No, holding the whip in front of you only does chip damage, the medusa heads will still fuck your shit. Same with the bats. The only enemies that die instantly even with chip damage of the whip are the crows.

Anyway, medusa heads weren't a threat in Rondo or Bloodlines either, but they made them annoying again in Dracula X for SNES, where they appear right on the first level.
>>
>>2935856
Hold the whip diagonally. The medusa head gets hit two times and dies before it can reach you.
>>
>there will never be a Bionic Commando-style Castlevania game

IV and Bloodlines came close. Why the fuck did Konami scrap the whip grapple idea?!
>>
>>2935864
Maybe, but I never needed to, they are easy enough to avoid, same as in Bloodlines and Rondo, you don't ever need to whip them.
>>
>>2935867

In the case of IV; the reasons these controls were never used again is because Mitsuru Yaida never worked on another Castlevania game again.

I personally didn't like how they handled the diagonal whipping on Bloodlines, I often forget it's there, and the only time I use the grapple is in that one part of the pisa tower that you need to, don't remember if I ever used it again.
>>
>>2935842
Well, IV isn't without its flaws, like any Castlevania game. What I'm mad about is Konami never made a true sequel to IV, retaining its amazing controls but creating more interesting enemies that you have to adapt said gameplay to in order to dispatch them. Unfortunately, the talent behind IV would disappear or later join Treasure, so maybe that was the problem, Konami couldn't find skilled designers to carry out a true Castlevania V.
>>
File: morris.jpg (32KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
morris.jpg
32KB, 320x240px
>>2935873
I think that was the only part in Bloodlines where you HAD to use the whip grapple. Needless to say, the grapple mechanic was used much more cleverly in Super IV.
>>
>>2935879
This is how I feel. I don't think IV's controls were necessarily "amazing" or an improvement, but I would have liked to have seen a sequel to IV that utilized them better than IV itself does.

I still love IV though.
>>
>>2935873
It is a tool that you can easily use. I often used it on the Mothman and Death fights, and swung on the platforms to skip the bomb guy section in the mansion.
>>
>>2935787
>Your hateboner for IV is amusing. You can't cite any problem with the game other than your distaste for its superior controls.
The problem with the game is that it is very easy, the controls are casualised, it is slow paced, the levels are on the whole boring, the music is muffled and weak, the enemies have no real purposeful placement they're just strewn across the levels, the bosses are easy and require no thought, the game suffers from constant slowdown, the whip makes an annoying and poorly synthesised sound every time you use it.
>If so, you are delusional. Unless you just have a fetish for tinny bwangs.
I prefer music with actual depth and bass over poorly synthesised, muffled garbage.
>What's your death count of IV then, Sir Progamer?
Not very high, I used to speedrun it.
>Better than your shit arguments at least. "M-muh multi-whip is bad bcuz I hate it!!!".
The muliti whip is bad because it makes the game much easier and doesn't match with the stages.
>Improving gameplay != changing Castlevania lore
It was clearly not an improvement. They could have made the character control like Mario in the Nes game, but that wouldn't be very fun, it would trivialise the whole game. Castlevania has the stiff controls because the devs want it to be that way. Look at Grant or Maria, they can move like Mario Belmont from IV, but the devs choose not to trivialise the games with those controls.

That's not a transformation, he retains the same form. That's just a change in expression. Jesus, IV fails at everything.

I only play the Japanese versions of the games, they're what the devs intended and weren't censored to hell like IV, Vampire Killer, and the like.
>>
Hagane had the same issue with underutilized grappling and movement mechanics yet the e-celeb kids loved it. What the hell.
>>
>>2936105
Which e-celeb talked about Hagane?
>>
>>2936060

You've already been proven wrong about the "changed enemy animations", I don't know why you insist on replying, then again the other guy who engages in your absurd arguments is also kind of silly.

If you problem is that the game is "very easy", then I sure hope you don't like Rondo of Blood and Bloodlines, because those are as easy (if not more) than IV, you should ONLY play Castlevania 1, 3, X68K and XX. And nothing else, maybe Haunted Castle.
>>
>>2936175
Honestly, Castlevania 1 is as easy as the 16-bit entries too, and also very short. Only the Death fight can still fuck you up, if you enter it without any Roman numerals or decent subweapons.
>>
>>2936181

It's short, but I think the difficulty is kind of tight compared to IV/Rondo/Bloodlines, only Dracula XX and x68K compare.

Then again difficulty=/=good game, I actually like Rondo and IV more than Castlevania 1, but since the IV-hater guy wants to act all hardcore about IV being easy, then I hope he doesn't like Bloodlines and Rondo either, he should be shitting on those as well.
>>
>>2936175
At least VK and RoB are fun to play. IV is boring and only nostalgiafags like it.
>>
>>2936190
He'll just rationalise it as "because Rondo and Bloodlines have more NES-like controls than IV, they're technically harder". Even though Rondo and Bloodlines give you far more OP shit than multiwhip, like Item Crash and backflip i-frames in RoB, or the blue orb subweapon and blue flame whip in Bloodlines.
>>
GOD TIER CASTLEVANIA:
Castlevania (NES)

GREAT TIER:
Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse
Castlevania IV
Castlevania: Rondo of Blood

GOOD TIER:
Castlevania II: Simon's Quest
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night

DECENT TIER:
Everything else not mentioned here

SHIT TIER:
Any 3d (gameplay-wise) Castlevania game, e.g. Castlevania 64
>>
>>2936223

lol

>>2936226

yeah I know, but honestly all 3 are pretty fun to play. he's just a mad guy who hates the SNES, god only knows what kind of childhood traumas he has, maybe his school bully was a SNES fanboy? who knows.
>>
>>2936223
Super IV has some of the funnest level designs and controls in the entire franchise. Sorry your hatred of SNES prevents you from enjoying it, though.
>>
>>2936230
Elder God tier
Vampire Killer/Blood Line/New Generation
Castlevania III
Circle of the Moon
Order of Ecclesia

Jewish God tier
Rondo of Blood
Chronicles
Symphony of the Night
Portrait of Ruin
Aria of Sorrow

Great tier
Castlevania
Dracula X/Vampire's Kiss
Harmony of Dissonance
Dawn of Sorrow

Good tier
Simon's Quest

Bad tier
IV/Super Castlevania Bros
Lords of Shadow
Lords of Shadow 2
Lords of Shadow Mirror of Fate
>>
File: Amupt.jpg (61KB, 395x436px) Image search: [Google]
Amupt.jpg
61KB, 395x436px
>>2936248

lol
>>
>>2936239
Oн boy, the slog through to the castle followed by some easy platforming and random enemy placement. But at least I get to listen to dull, atmospheric music right?
>>
>>2936237
His parents probably bought him a Sega Genesis instead of a Super Nintendo for his birthday and he's resented it ever since.
>>
>>2936252
Congratulations, you invest time and energy hating a game, do you want a cookie?
>>
>>2936262

I dunno, he shows up in every single Castlevania thread and always posts the same shit about IV, he's been posting the same shit for years now, I can already recognize his posting pattern. I think it goes beyond just a simple single-system owner trauma, it must be something deeper.

Like maybe his step father raped him while playing IV, I dunno.
>>
>>2936252

Are you talking about Symphony of the Night? Nigga that game is great.
>>
>>2936262
We don't call it Exodus or whatever here, we use the original name, Mega Drive. You use the censored name. The Snes is a poor piece of hardware, very bad for anything but slow paced games with such a low CPU clock speed. I was much older when these consoles came out, so rather than buy a Snes I used the money on a ZX Spectrum + 3. Best decision I could have made. I imported a Super Famicom recently and have played some of the better games on there, but the library is thin.
>>
>>2936279
Don't call me a nigger, you double nigger.
>>
File: scoob.jpg (68KB, 630x299px) Image search: [Google]
scoob.jpg
68KB, 630x299px
>>2936284

Holy fucking shit, IV hater is Australia-kun? color me surprised.
>>
>>2936284

So how old are you, anyway? At this point I don't think you're trolling or lying, you're genuinely like that.

You must be like 35+ because you said you worked at an electronic shop in the 90s. You're maybe in your 40s already.

What ever brings you to shitpost console war shit on 4chan at that age? What the fuck, man?
>>
>>2936293
I don't think the ZX Spectrum was released in Australia.
>>
>>2936298
I'm not the Australian guy, I'm from the UK.
>>
>>2936284
No, it is the SEGA Exodus you flamboyant jackass.

There are only three places that actually matter in the world. U, S, and A. If you aren't part of any of that your naming conventions mean nothing.
>>
>>2936304

Good try, but the "Exodus" joke gave you away, Australia-kun.

Seriously man, what the fuck?
>>
>>2936248
>Bloodlines best CV
Fuck that shit. Worst 16-bit CV game.
>>
>>2936312
That goes to Dracula X.
>>
>>2936324

No, that goes to [your favorite game]
>>
>>2936324
>he didn't like the SNES port of Rondo
It had much better graphics than the TGCD version.
>>
>>2934053
Explain.
>>
>>2936312
Hi, James.
>>2936308
I don't know what yankees call it. Some censored name related to bible shit. I can't borrow a joke that I found humorous and degrading to yankees?
>>2936307
Sorry, but America has always been shit for games. You had a lacking PC culture, you import all of your games from Europe and Japan, and when you do make games you crash your own market. You guys should just play what us Europeans and Japs give you, you can't be trusted.
>>
>>2936340
>I don't know what yankees call it. Some censored name related to bible shit. I can't borrow a joke that I found humorous and degrading to yankees?

Hah, you can, but it's a joke that I don't expect anyone but Australia-kun to use, and also you type like him and make the same statements he made. I have my doubts you aren't Australia-kun.

But I'll give you the benefit of the doubt, and still, you said you were already old when SNES and MEGA DORAIBU came out, so you must be 35+ and maybe 40... so the question remains: what drives you to shitpost console wars on 4chan at that age?
>>
Why does every single Castlevania thread open up with MY FAVORITE CASTLEVANIA GAME > UR FAVORITE CASTLEVANIA GAME? You guys are worse at getting along than any other fanbase I've seen.
>>
>>2936340
>lacking PC culture
America had the IBM PC (which set the standard for all future computer gaming), Atari ST, Apple II, Commodore 64, and several other great computers. You had, what, shitty Sinclair computers? Give me a break. Europe is the clown of the videogames world, which was why Nintendo never gave a shit about localizing any games for you Europoors.
>>
>>2936361

I think he's just baiting he's australia-kun trying to pass as an european to make europeans and americans fight, don't pay attention and just laugh at him
>>
>>2936361
>America had the IBM PC (which set the standard for all future computer gaming), Atari ST, Apple II, Commodore 64
Only the C64 was a great computer out of those, though it is inferior to the Amiga, and it had a better games market in Europe. What games does America even make? You're defending a Japanese game while saying the USA is the only country that matters, which is odd. Game of the year 2015 was European, remember, and all the best games every year come from Europe and Japan.
>>2936348
I can post whatever I want.
>>
>>2936379
>I can post whatever I want.

I didn't tell you that you can or you can't, I'm just asking you what drives you to partake in console wars on 4chan at your age. I'm curious.
>>
>>2936387
Because I want to, kid. Now go back to school.
>>
>>2936393

I already finished school, and thankfully I won't be a big fuckup like you are at your age!

>console warring at age 40

holy shit hahaha
>>
>>2936402
I don't think you'll be making the money I amke and you probably fell for the university scam.
>>
>>2936404

Joke's on you, my family is already rich and I'm having the best education there is.

Best part? I don't need to console war because I always was an idort.

LOL gramps, just go to bed already, what the fuck are you doing talking about which toy was better? Take some soup and go to bed, it's cold and getting late.
>>
>>2936451
>it's cold and getting late.

Australia is in the south hemisphere, it's summer there.
>>
>>2936451
>I don't need to console war because I always was an idort.
Yet here you are.
>>
>>2936467

Yeah, in a Castlevania thread?

I never took part in console wars, I'm just laughing at you, an old fart who engages into SNES vs "Exodus" shitposting, lol.

I bet you're single, too.
>>
>>2936328
So Dracula X.
>>2936332
Who cares about the graphics when enemy spawn points are messed up that make enemies spawn on top of you and the annoying lance knights which are reminiscent to the centaurs in Hexen.
>>
>>2936472
Nope, I live with my partner. He also has a well paying job. You're here to defend your poorly made SFC launch title.
>>
File: 1398896866104.gif (12KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1398896866104.gif
12KB, 500x500px
>>2936332
>TGCD
>>
>>2936483

No, I'm here to laugh at your gay old ass.

So how hard was life in Australia in the early 90s? You had to work hard to earn and save up to be able to afford 1 system, right?
>>
>>2936340
>Sorry, but America has always been shit for games.
Golden age arcade games made by the USA are some of the most timeless games ever. Robotron 2084 is an excellent action game, hell most of Williams arcade catalog is great.

So don't make me Exodus your ass off of here.
>>
>>2936332
>port
It was a horribly done remake, not a port.

Go play the actual Rondo, kid.
>>
>>2936482
>enemy spawn points are messed up that make enemies spawn on top of you and the annoying lance knights

How about you stop being a bad player?
>>
>>2936490
Turbo-Graphics CD.
>>
>>2936492
Australia didn't get any SNES games, which is probably why he's so butthurt about us having enjoyed SNES games back in the day while all he was left with was his shitty Sinclair ZX Spectrum and the bargain-bin shovelware and sports games that plagued the Seaguh Exodus.
>>
>>2936504
Rondo of Blood wasn't released on that.
>>2936497
Japanese developers made the best arcade games. Sorry, you lose again. Meanwhile Europeans were making the best computer games.
>>2936492
I used a computer, and that was in Britain.
>>2936506
Australia just missed out on some RPGS. But they were just Japanese console RPGS, so that's not a loss.
>>
>>2936506
Nothing is stopping him from emulating the SNES and the SEGA Exodus is a great console with plenty of fun games on it.
>>
>>2936506
>bargain-bin shovelware and sports games that plagued the Seaguh Exodus.

Please don't fall for his shitty console war bait, both the SNES and Genesis are great systems.

But yeah he's really really angry at SNES and Nintendo, and he's an old fart, too. I wonder how he is IRL, I imagine he must be a strange person, probably had a hard childhood. In a way, I feel bad for him, but he keeps shitposting and making this board worse than it already is, so he deserves all the mocking he gets.

Australia-kun, seek psychological help, 4chan isn't really the best place for someone like you.
>>
>>2936514
Technically speaking the SNES is a terrible system.
>>
>>2936509
I don't know any arcade game that can compare to Robotron. It is fast paced, there is a reason to score high, it is an adrenaline rush, it is the original twin stick shooter, it is just a great game, and to deny it is silly.
>>
>>2936520

seek help bro
>>
File: fuckhead.gif (1MB, 300x164px) Image search: [Google]
fuckhead.gif
1MB, 300x164px
>>2936509
>Meanwhile Europeans were making the best computer games.
>>
>>2936537
Any evidence to the contrary, or just more memes?
>>
>>2936560
You're the one claiming Europe made the best computer games ever. Where's your list to prove it?
>>
>>2936575
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ZX_Spectrum_games
>>
castlevania 2
>>
>>2936662
>B-b-but AVGN said that game sucks donkey dickfuck and Castlevania IV is le best
>>
>>2936674

Actually, AVGN said Simon's Quest II was his first Castlevania game, and that he actually loves it, despite the known translation issues on the localized version.
>>
>>2936683
"This game sucks."
-James 'Angry Nintendo Nerd' Rolfe (2006)
>>
File: ao.jpg (16KB, 227x224px) Image search: [Google]
ao.jpg
16KB, 227x224px
>>2936697

okay
>>
>>2936581
Nice try nigger, but you'll have to be more specific than that. What are your top 5 Spectrum games?
>>
The only Castlevania I played as a kid was Circle of the Moon. I've played all the ones that matter now. Dracula's Curse is the best game released before 1999. Order of Ecclesia is the best game in the series and also the best game on the DS.

I'm just sad that Castlevania is doomed to mobile and pachinko from here on out.
>>
>>2937307
>Order of Ecclesia is the best game in the series
Absolutely not.
>>
>>2934905
>No, it's true. Show me one aesthetically good looking stage in Bloodlines.
What is Versailles Palace?
>>
>>2937335
Looks like shit, Australia-kun. Can't believe your still posting.
>>
>>2936230
>>2936248
God tier
Castlevania I
Castlevania III

Great tier
Rondo of Blood
Dracula X
Super Castlevania IV
Bloodlines
Lords of Shadow

Good tier
Symphony of the night
Belmont's revenge
Simon's quest
Vampire Killer
Mirror of Fate

Meh tier
Rest of Metroidvanias
Lords of Shadows 2
Rest of Gameboy games
Legends rebirth

Bad tier
Order of shadows

Konami wtf are you smoking tier
Judgement
Erotic Violence
>>
>>2936340
>I don't know what yankees call it. Some censored name related to bible shit
For an older guy on /vr/ that defends Bloodlines so much you know very little about your console. Basic common knowledge, you are lacking it.
>>
>>2937378
I don't think you've played many vania games. Lords of Shadow is god awful. Uninspired combat, boring cutscenes, stupid voice acting, no good music, no good monsters. It sucks. Oh, and the only good version of III is the Japanese version, the western release is utter shit.
>>
>>2937378
>LoS and Belmont's Revenge higher than any Metroidvania
w e w
>>
>>2937382
I honestly don't care what you fat, burger eating whiny pirate niggers call it, just a dumb censored name.
>>
>>2936360
Is probably just the same guys shitposting. The discussion always seems to be
"Metroidvanias are good vs Metroidvanias are shit" or "Super Castlevania IV is better vs Bloodlines is better"
>>
>>2936697
>Thinking AVGN isn't scripted and and exagerated for the keks
I get it now thats why these threads are so bad. People here base all their knowledge on scripted humoristic reviews.
/vr/ isn't made of retro gramers, is made of caricatures of retro gamers.
>>
>>2937402
>every time he says something wrong it's satirical
>but the crow sure does suck right? XD
Avgn fanboys are the worst.
>>
>>2937385
>Belmont's Revenge
errr Simon's Quest, that is.
>>
>>2937384
>Lords of Shadow is god awful. Uninspired combat, boring cutscenes, stupid voice acting, no good music, no good monsters
Combat is a little repetitive over the time but not that bad, cutscenes are ok not amazing but ok. voice acting is better than most video game voice acting, music is amazing, monster could get more work, but their design are pretty good.
I like it, you don't, big deal.

>>2937385
Never liked the RPG elements in Castlevania too much. Symphony is at a higher level, never said the Metroidvanias are bad.
>>
>>2937416
>cutscenes are ok
No, they're long and boring.
>voice acting is better than most video game voice acting
Voice acting doesn't belong in games and LoS has shit voice acting
>music is amazing
Why do you yanks like gay atmospheric bullshit?
>monster could get more work
Where are all the classic vania monsters?
>>
>>2937419
>No, they're long and boring.
They are oversused, I'll give you that.
>Voice acting doesn't belong in games
Don't complain about it then.
>Why do you yanks like gay atmospheric bullshit?
It was just Australia-kun, again. It has a more serious, cinematic approach. Also, not a yank.
>Where are all the classic vania monsters?
I'll give you that one too, but its a precuel with a different setting in a new universe, don't forget that.
Anyway lets go back to /vr/ stuff.
>>
>>2937431
>Don't complain about it then.
LoS still has shit VA.
>It has a more serious, cinematic approach. Also, not a yank.
So it's not even a game?
>I'll give you that one too, but its a precuel with a different setting in a new universe
Then why call it Castlevania? You know it wasn't originally a Castlevania game, right?
>>
>>2937441
>So it's not even a game?
Is a game with a cinematic approach. Most modern games are like that, cutsecenes, quick time events, more story and ambient based. Guess thats what games are evolving into. Castlevania 1,2 and 3 had a strong horro-movie-parody feel anyway.
>Then why call it Castlevania? You know it wasn't originally a Castlevania game, right?
Who knows, ask Kojima. He liked it and wanted it as a Castlevania game.
>>
>>2937453
>Is a game with a cinematic approach. Most modern games are like that, cutsecenes, quick time events, more story and ambient based. Guess thats what games are evolving into. Castlevania 1,2 and 3 had a strong horro-movie-parody feel anyway.
Makes sense that that hack Hideo Kojima would make a stupid pseudo-movie out of a great game, just like he did with Metal Gear. Fuck that guy, total hack.
>>
>>2937330
Order of Ecclesia is the only Castlevania game to both give you a complex combat system and be challenging enough to make you actually think about how you use it, at least until you get the Nitesco glyph at the end of the game. After that, there's always Lv1 Hard mode. The rate at which Shanoa regenerates MP makes her more tactically flexible than any other Castlevania protagonist other than Soma with a Chaos Ring. That and it not being near as grind-happy as other Metroidvanias (about the same level as SotN) is what makes me think it's the best game.

Yeah, sorry, not /vr/, I know. There's just not much of a place to talk about a game like this since it's eight years old and Konami is kill.
>>
>>2938084
>The rate at which Shanoa regenerates MP makes her more tactically flexible than any other Castlevania protagonist
I agree with this. And the harder difficulty is nice. But the combat scenarios still aren't terribly interesting, and even though level 1 hard mode forces the player to be more cautious and makes every room feel like a threat, it also makes the game feel a lot like a total slog. The level design is also offensively dull.

The game has some nice bosses, and visually it has more effort put into it than the other DS games, but best game in the series? Not even close.
>>
>>2937384
>Oh, and the only good version of III is the Japanese version, the western release is utter shit.
>This lazy hyperbole again
They're mostly the same game. The Western release is harder, makes a few changes (biggest being with Grant who was somewhat OP in the Japanese version anyway), and has less elaborate (but still very good) music. "Utter shit"? Are you 15?

On the whole I prefer the Western release (though I can see why others may not).
>>
>>2937385
Not him, but I like Belmont's Revenge more than the majority of Metroidvanias too.
>>
>>2937441
>Then why call it Castlevania?
It has as much in common with a game like the original or Super Castlevania IV as shit like Lament of Innocence or the 64 games. I don't care for LoS much either, but the "Not a REAL Castlevania!" argument is immensely stupid.
>>
>>2938171

Australia-kun is now trying to shit on the western version of III to deviate the shit he got for defending the censorship on Bloodlines. But no matter how much he shitposts, the western version of III, while altered, got nothing removed. The New Generation got whole graphical assets removed, the worst kind of censorship, and Australia-kun defends that, because his brain works at 50hz.
>>
>>2937386
>censored
It's because someone already had the Megadrive name patented in America. Nothing to do with censorship, silly Straylian.
>>
>>2937386
Why is censorship a new buzzword on 4chan? Every day I post here, I feel that this site is overrun by idiots, children, or people who don't have English as a native language.

Censorship does not refer to any change made up for a different area of the world. Jesus Christ.
>>
>>2938256
He's Australia-kun.

He thinks the PAL version of Bloodlines, "The New Generation", is better and defends its censorship.
>>
>>2938171
So you like a butchered port?
>>2938240
If you use that name over Mega Drive, you're just like me saying New Generation instead of Vampire Killer.
>>
>>2938673
>Butchered
>port
It's the same game with some things being better and other things being worse. I enjoy the Western version's harder difficulty.
>>
>>2938673
>If you use that name over Mega Drive, you're just like me saying New Generation instead of Vampire Killer.

Australia-kun, you know what you remind me of? Those villians who say that cliche "You're just like me" line. Yeah, you're like that.

But to be completely honest, I don't think anyone on /vr/ is as lunatic as you. /vr/ has a lot of shitposters and crazy people, but make no mistake, nobody but you here is an old fuck obsessed with console wars, PAL superiority and defending censorship as you are, you are a one of a kind.
>>
>>2938687
There are no things better, it's a butchered port of a famicom game.
>>2938731
You can't deny that PAL gives a better picture. That is objectively true. If you think Never Twice the Same Colour is better than PAL then you're just wilfully ignorant.
>>
>>2938753

Australia-kun, you don't get it. We don't care about colors, or PAL, or NTSC or console wars. We're here merely to make fun of you.
Enjoy your emptier The New Generation at 50hz. I'll remind you that the original game was developed by japanese people for NTSC televisions at 60hz lol!
The original Mega Drive is a NTSC 60hz system, your "Sea-guh Mega Junk" is 50hz trash.
>>
>>2938762
I modified my console with a switch years ago. So that argument holds no water. Now I get PAL quality picture at 60hz for Japanese games and 50hz for optimised and European games.
>>
>>2938753
The higher difficulty is better. Are you a casual, Australia-kun?
>>
>>2938829
>The higher difficulty is better
It's not really much different. You just get removed assets, butchered music, and more glitches in the western port.
>>
>>2938835
>It's not really much different
The game as a whole? No. The Western release is a fair bit harder, though. Grant not having infinite throwing knives as his attack, changes to damage output by enemies, and other things (IIRC Dracula is more aggressive in the Western release, for example) add up to the Western version being intentionally more difficult.
>Removed assets
I don't think anything was removed. Some things were changed for reasons unknown, like sprites. Nothing was removed though. All of the crosses and other significant Christian imagery stay intact. The only act of "removed assets" is the altered statues which, while stupid, is small potatoes.
>butchered music
"Butchered" is hyperbolic, but many of the tracks in the Japanese release are notably and obviously more interesting and appealing.
>more glitches in the Western port
This is totally false from what I know. If anything the Western version has fixed glitches.
>>
>>2938867
>The game as a whole? No
Casual.
>>2938867
>I don't think anything was removed.
The hunchback sprite was removed completely. It doesn't appear in the western release.
> but many of the tracks in the Japanese release are notably and obviously more interesting and appealing.
Are you actually trying to justify the shit western soundtrack? HAHAHAHAHA buyers remorse is a powerful thing.
>This is totally false from what I know
No, look it up.
>>
>>2938673
>If you use that name over Mega Drive, you're just like me saying New Generation instead of Vampire Killer.
Unless you can prove that Sega of America chose to rename the Megadrive because of some arbitrary censorship reason, you're completely wrong, and these two cases are nothing alike. Being unable to use the name Megadrive that was already copyrighted is not censorship. Konami had to censor Bloodlines to New Generation in Europe because Germany are pussies, not because Bloodlines or Vampire Killer were already copyrighted. Same reason they had to censor the manly men in Contra to generic robots for PAL countries. It's a shame that your "superiour" European mind fails at basic logic though.
>>
File: hunchback_cv3.png (5KB, 256x224px) Image search: [Google]
hunchback_cv3.png
5KB, 256x224px
>>2938872
>The hunchback sprite was removed completely. It doesn't appear in the western release.
You high m8? It's the jap version that didn't have hunchbacks, they were weird rabbit-like things. In America/Europe they were changed to the more well known hunchbacks/flea men.
>>
>>2938939
They're still called hunchbacks. Don't know what the fuck you think a flea man is.
>>2938921
They censored it to avoid violating copyright law. So you use a censored, butchered name for the Mega Drive.
>>
>>2938970
>They censored it to avoid violating copyright law. So you use a censored, butchered name for the Mega Drive.

That isn't what censorship means. I mean for fucks sake, there's nothing even offensive about Megadrive. Also Genesis sounds much better, just what is a "mega drive" anyway? It didn't even have drives until the Sega CD came along. Genesis symbolizes the point where Sega became a major competitor to Nintendo in the console market, so it's the better name.
>>
>>2939083
What do you mean by Sega CD and Genesis? What are those?
>Genesis symbolizes the point where Sega became a major competitor to Nintendo in the console market, so it's the better name.
That would only make sense in America. Maybe Nintendo should have called the Wii Genesis in Europe and Australia because it was the first time they were relevant in the console market.
>>
>>2938872
>No, look it up.
Anything I've ever read states that glitches present in the Japanese version were fixed in the Western release. I'm not sure I've ever encountered glitches in either version, though.
>Casual.
What? CVIII is the harder game. This is overwhelmingly agreed upon for reasons I stated.
>It doesn't appear in the western release
It was replaced by a different sprite. Whether you like one over the other is a matter of taste, I guess.
>Are you actually trying to justify the shit western soundtrack?
Your reading comprehension needs work. The Western soundtrack is still one of the better soundtracks on the system, though regardless.
>>
>>2939095
You guys didn't get a Nintendo system till the fucking Wii? Well, no wonder you think Nintendo sucks, you were deprived your whole lives.
>>
>>2939243
We didn't get a successful one. You guys didn't get a Sega console until the Mega Drive? Must have sucked.
>>2939173
>Anything I've ever read states that glitches present in the Japanese version were fixed in the Western release. I'm not sure I've ever encountered glitches in either version, though.
Ignorance is no excuse.
>What? CVIII is the harder game. This is overwhelmingly agreed upon for reasons I stated.
If you think either game is distinguishably harder than the other then you're casual as fuck.
>It was replaced by a different sprite. Whether you like one over the other is a matter of taste, I guess.
A shit old sprite that looks horrendous next to everything else.
>Your reading comprehension needs work. The Western soundtrack is still one of the better soundtracks on the system, though regardless
That's because the NES had shit music in general.
>>
>>2938772
>I modified my console with a switch years ago

Yeah yeah I remember when you said you modified your console in the 90s because you worked at an electronic shop, right? That's how we figured out how fucking old you are.

Your brain works at 50hz, Australia-kun, no matter how much console you modded in the 90s, your brain can't register anything higher than 50hz.
>>
>>2938970
>The hunchback sprite was removed completely. It doesn't appear in the western release.

BUt they were replaced with something else, so it wasn't removed, Australia, it was changed.

The New Generation got assets removed, erased, vanished, the game got EMPTIED, and you didn't got anything in exchange, you got the laziest censorship job, and you defend it, because, of course, you're australia-kun, the gayest indigenous monkey nigger to ever have lived in that distant hellish island.

Castlevania III didn't got any assets removed, they were altered or changed.
The New Generation got assets erased and didn't got anything in exchange.

You got fucked, you were lying, and you were proven wrong again.
>>
File: image.jpg (92KB, 800x579px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
92KB, 800x579px
>>2939325
>replaced
>wasn't removed
You fucking moron.
>>
>>2939370
>a 40 year old australian fuck using 2013 memes from /a/

what the hell
>>
>>2939267
>Ignorance is no excuse.
Feel free to link me to a place that states the Western release has more glitches. I found the opposite.
>If you think either game is distinguishably harder than the other then you're casual as fuck.
On the contrary, it means I've played both enough to distinguish between the two. CVIII is a more difficult game. Enemies hit harder. Everyone knows this. Denial this severe is unhealthy.
>A shit old sprite that looks horrendous next to everything else.
Doesn't look any worse than the ghoul rabbit.
>That's because the NES had shit music in general.
Okay.
>>
>>2939370

It was removed then replaced with something else.

The New Generation got assets removed and were replaced with nothing.
>>
>>2939376
>Feel free to link me to a place that states the Western release has more glitches. I found the opposite.
Probably Castlevania wiki.
>On the contrary, it means I've played both enough to distinguish between the two. CVIII is a more difficult game. Enemies hit harder. Everyone knows this. Denial this severe is unhealthy.
I guess I just don't get hit, then.
>Doesn't look any worse than the ghoul rabbit.
Do you always hate better, more detailed sprite work when it interferes with your nostalgia?
>>2939374
Good comeback. Go read a dictionary.
>>
>>2939378
Removal is still removal.
>durr is okay cus dey pud in a out uv place lookin spwite
>>
>>2939382
>Good comeback.

I wasn't one of the guys arguing with you, so it wasn't a comeback. I'm just following this thread and the Game Sack one because you make me laugh.

But seriously, what the fuck is a 40 year old dude using old memes from /a/?
>>
>>2939383

And emptier is still emptier.

You won't convince anyone on the whole planet that Castlevania III got a worse localization than The New Generation, sorry. it's just you in your delusional australia-kun world.
>>
>>2939391
New Generation has a few enemies missing at the start that make no difference because they're easy beats anyway. III got a butchered soundtrack, retarded dialogue, removed sprites, retarded damage calculations and more glitches.
>>
>>2939402

See? guhyou don't even know what the fuck you're talking about. I bet you never even played a single Castlevania game in your life and you just go by whatever you read online in order to shitpost.

The enemies weren't removed from The New Generation, they were replaced with different zombies that had green blood instead of red.
However, other graphical assets were removed from the game completely. Not enemies, but actual background decorations, which makes the game look emptier in return, seeguh: >>2936991

And I'll remind you that you actually were defending this previously, you said it was better without the "edgy shit" because it was more "family friendly", remember that?
>>
>>2939410
I've played more games than you, I wager. Did America even get the Mega Drive? You're probably too poor to import a PC Engine and X68000 and you're too young to remember the MSX. You probably just saw AVGN's videos and decided to parrot him.
>>
>>2939417
I played more games than you since I'm not shitposting all day like you are. My family was always rich so I was an idort which is why I'm not a console warrior, yes America did get the Mega Drive, called "Exodus", remember? And I've played the MSX, although you're right, I'm too young (to you, because you're an old fuck)
>>
>>2939445

LOL, I'm younger than you, but I'm not that young.

I'm just not a dying corpse like you are.
>>
>>2939463

but I said I've played MSX, my dad had one. I'm younger than you but I'm amongst the average /vr/ demographic, 25 to 30 years old.

You're too fucking old to be here. Your memory is starting to fail because of your age which is why you give false information.
>>
>>2939507
You were too young to even remember the early to mid 80s computer/games boom. You're a dumb kid.
>>
>>2939382
>I guess I just don't get hit, then.
By this point neither do I. Doesn't change that fact, though, nor does it change things like Dracula's more aggressive behavior.
>better, more detailed
Go look at the sprites. I did. It's not really any less detailed and fits just fine with the rest of the game.
>nostalgia
I don't have any nostalgia for CVIII since I didn't play it until years later.
>>
>>2939561
>Go look at the sprites. I did. It's not really any less detailed and fits just fine with the rest of the game.
The old style one doesn't fit.
>>
>>2939576
Fleaman looks a lot better than the fucked up rabbit that Japanese Castlevania 3 had.
>>
>>2939642
Stop trying to defend poor sprite work.
>>
>>2939647
The quality is irrelevant. I like Fleaman more because he's a series staple character, appearing in almost every game, than that random rabbit they chose. It was an improvement if anything.
>>
>>2939661
The hunch back (what the fuck do you mean by 'flea man?) had been in 1 game at that point. Dumb kid.
>>
File: fleaman.png (14KB, 630x380px) Image search: [Google]
fleaman.png
14KB, 630x380px
>>2939671
>had been in 1 game at that point.
Still 1 more game than that stupid rabbit design.

Fleaman wins.
>>
>>2939671
Also, 'fleaman' was his original Japanese name, so why are you using its censored western name, hunchback? You aren't a hypocrite are you? Better start calling the Megadrive a Genesis now and converting your tellies to NTSC since you subconsciously realize America's conventions surpass yours.
>>
>>2939690
What a poor translation. To be expected, that game had an infamously bad localisation.
You're looking back at it from the view of a kid who never knew about the games before you watched AVGN on youtube. I was grateful for the better sprite work in III. I was shocked when I saw the western version for the first time.
>>
>>2939692
Uh, no. The Japanese name is semler.
>>
>>2939693
>I was grateful for the better sprite work in III. I was shocked when I saw the western version for the first time.
Implying you had either back in the day. You were stuck with shitty consoles and computers because Nintendo didn't give a fuck about PAL.
>>
>>2939713
I had a Famicom around 89. Quite easy to get here, I see more Famicoms these days in second hand shops that the Nes.
>>
>>2939693
>I was shocked when I saw the western version for the first time.
Why would you be shocked? The games look identical save for that (lateral) change and covering up the nude statues.
>>
How do Belmont's Revenge and Castlevania Rebirth compare to the older games in the series? Are they legit?

>>2939692
They were "hunchbacks" in the Japanese manual for the first Castlevania, too. They became "fleamen" later.
>>
>>2939786
>Why would you be shocked? The games look identical save for that (lateral) change and covering up the nude statues.
The music sucked, the sprite change was grotesque, the censorship disgusted me, and the dialogue was awful.
>>
File: 002.jpg (28KB, 350x225px) Image search: [Google]
002.jpg
28KB, 350x225px
I hate these threads.
>>
>>2939834
Belmont's Revenge is an older game in the series. But yeah, they're both pretty awesome. Belmont's Revenge is one of the best games on the GameBoy, and I like ReBirth more than Bloodlines at the very least.
>>2939841
Yet Bloodlines' censorship doesn't disgust you?
>>
>>2939912
You mean Vampire Killer? I played New Generation first, so no. The game was localised from Vampire Killer, not Bloodlines.
>>
>>2939912
I just specified "older games" so no one would compare them to the metroidvania games, but alright, thanks. How would you say CV2 GB compares to Rondo, Chronicles, and Bloodlines?
>>
>>2939862

At least we got australia-kun to laugh at
>>
>>2939975
I personally probably like Belmont's Revenge more than Bloodlines too; I just prefer its level design. Either way it's worth playing though.
>>
>>2940946
The Adventure isn't that bad either once you patch its horrendous speed.

Still would rather play unpatched The Adventure than 50hz New Generation though.
>>
>>2941105
>The Adventure isn't that bad either once you patch its horrendous speed
How does its level design/enemies/etc. compare to Belmont's Revenge, though? I'm sure the patch improves the game a lot, but I don't remember anything else being all that great either.
>>
File: 1426218347184.jpg (1MB, 2170x3385px) Image search: [Google]
1426218347184.jpg
1MB, 2170x3385px
>>2939862
No one cares, Wilson.
>>
So has anyone played any good Castlevania fan games or ROM hacks?
>>
>>2942423
Reborn is a pretty neat hack for CV 1.
>>
I actually like the 64 games.
>>
>>2945180

A lot of people do.

Only AVGN kiddies think they're bad games.
>>
>>2945462
They have shoddy level design and horrible camera systems. Not sure how anyone could enjoy them. The music isn't even that good or plays consistently enough. C64 should've been a 2.5D sidescroller like the PSP Rondo remake.
>>
Personally my favorite is Order of Ecclesia overall. Dawn of Sorrow close second.
Super is pretty good, for the arcade style ones, although it is a bit too easy for the same reasons that make it fun to play, mainly the whip being very controllable, making most battles easy to win just with it.
>>
>>2915010
Literally every classicvania except for 2, though that one doesn't really count.

Haven't played Bloodlines though.
>>
>>2915034
>Boring level design

Rondo has vastly superior level design to IV, family.
>>
File: gga-6.jpg (87KB, 576x444px) Image search: [Google]
gga-6.jpg
87KB, 576x444px
>>2946059
>They have shoddy level design

What do you mean with "shoddy"? it has a dynamic mix of straightforward action levels and exploration/dungeon-type levels (which I think are the game's forte, levels like The Villa and Castle Entrance).

>horrible camera system

What's so horrible? You can tap R to set the camera right behind you, it could be better, but it could be a lot worse, for a 5th gen game the camera works alright.

The music is pretty good although it goes more for a creepy/tense mood rather than rocking tunes like the other games. Still the rendition in violin of Divided Bloodlines on the title screen remain one of the best pieces from CV music.

I don't disagree that a 2.5D sidescroller would have been a good idea though, but if you want to play something like that, check out Goemon's Great Adventure. It has a spooky theme and devilish locations that reminds of Castlevania, and Goemon uses his chain-pipe that kinda works like Simon's whip with upgrades and all.
>>
>>2946862
>Rondo has vastly superior level design to IV, family
Not him, but I don't think it does. Rondo focuses a lot more on combat, but as a result the levels are frequently pretty flat and simplistic to navigate. I like both games equally for different reasons, but even with IV's balancing issues I'd say it still has much more interesting level design.
>>
>>2946860
>>2946862

>people still replying to the bait OP

You are allowed to have your favorite castlevania game, don't worry anon.
>>
>>2946860
You can't say this when shit like Legends and the original Castlevania Adventure exists.

Speaking of game boy, Belmont's Revenge is very underrated.
>>
>>2946884
Oh, you're the 3D Goemon guy. I never really enjoyed those, they were better on the SNES.
>>
>>2947036
>Oh, you're the 3D Goemon guy.

I also love the SNES and Famicom and even the PS1 Goemon games (the 2D ones), so I don't know what you mean with "3D Goemon guy", there's quite a few other anons that always mention Goemon as well, it's a beloved niche series.

And Goemon's Great Adventure plays like the SNES games anyway, just with polygon graphics.
>>
>>2947046
Is Goemon's Great Adventure what yankees call Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon 2?
>>
>>2947337

Yes, Australia-kun, that one.
>>
>>2946895
Oh yeah, I forgot about the handhelds. I've never played those.

Still, I, III, and Rondo are all vastly superior to IV.
>>
File: castlevania4-spot2[1].png (199KB, 768x672px) Image search: [Google]
castlevania4-spot2[1].png
199KB, 768x672px
>>2946891
I disagree. Sure, the level design in IV often incorporates navigation between different floors, but I think this just gives an illusion of depth. They just make some stages look like stage 5 from CVI in terms of their layout, without incorporating any of the challenge that was present in the original.

The most egregious example of illusion of challenge I can think of is this room. The platforms behind you don't even fall before you're a certain distance away from them, creating the illusion of challenge, rather than an actual challenge.
>>
>>2947984

Both the rotating room and the spinning room in your pic are merely and intermission on stage 4. Stage 4 is fairly long overall, and these "mode 7" stages are very short.
People always bitch about those as if they were full levels on their own, but they're just a small, short intermission.

Anyway, both Rondo and IV are much easier than the original Castlevania. They still offer a good challenge for someone new to Castlevania, but someone who has played the NES games will find the 16-bit games easier, we've been through this many times.

I personally find Rondo easier than IV, only because I can easily play through it without even being close to getting a game over, whereas I'm always on the verge of losing all my lifes at the end of IV, and sometimes I don't make it, then again IV is like twice longer than Rondo (in a single playthrough, since you can't play all the levels in Rondo in one go)
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bp4w-Uo3Njc
Thread posts: 395
Thread images: 34

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.