[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Anyone able to explain to me how the Satellaview worked? Were

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 5

File: BS Zelda.gif (44KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
BS Zelda.gif
44KB, 640x480px
Anyone able to explain to me how the Satellaview worked?

Were games only available to play during the specific broadcast times?

Or were they downloaded to a cartridge/storage space, so they could be played at any other time? Similar to digital games today?
>>
>>2913569
>Were games only available to play during the specific broadcast times?

Pretty much that. I think the data was still stored on the cart though which is how we could extract it. Also there were voices guiding you during the time limit to make it more immersive/cinematic. I'm sure it was actually a pretty unique experience. They ended up "re-airing" the game a couple of times to give people another chance to play it.

The
>>
They look gorgeous
>>
>that scaling
IT HURTS TO LIIIIIIVE
>>
>>2913575
Sounds pretty good too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12fJ811pA7M
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wtj9KtHq410
https://youtu.be/PJ_NZU_B0Tc
>>
File: bs_zelda.png (144KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
bs_zelda.png
144KB, 640x480px
>>2913583
Fixed it for you.
>>
>>2913569
You could download games on cartridge. That's why if you look on eBay you'll see some blank cartridges with Satellaview games.
>>
I still can't quite understand how this game's playability worked. The wiki pages all suggest that it was ONLY playable during 1 live hour a week? But that can't be right.
>>
>>2913574
>I think
Any time you type that it's time to stop typing
>>
File: 1441276852384.jpg (93KB, 934x960px) Image search: [Google]
1441276852384.jpg
93KB, 934x960px
>>2913625

I haven't found any information that didn't make the Satellaview sound like a complex mess. My best guess is that it downloaded the game to some kind of cartridge or storage device, and then allowed the game to be played during certain times.

But I can't confirm that, so that's why I started the thread.
>>
>>2913569
>Were games only available to play during the specific broadcast times? Or were they downloaded to a cartridge/storage space, so they could be played at any other time? Similar to digital games today?
Both, it depends on the game. On principle, game data is downloaded and stored in the BS-X cartridge. Some games have all data stored in the cartridge and people could play them whenever they wanted, like Radical Dreamers, which had no time limits and is fairly generic on how it can be played.

The more popular games, like BS Zelda, only download graphics and maps to the cart, but things like music and narration were streamed. That's why the ROMs for BS Zelda and Ancient Stone Tablets are reconstructions based on recording of actual BS-X gameplay, the game data stored in the cartridge was not by any means complete, to the point that even how maps were assembled was dependant on the satellite stream information.

The point of games like the BS Zeldas was to play it as a live event, with narration and orchestrated music otherwise impossible to be contained in a regular cartridge driving the experience. But other Satellaviews games were indeed just digital games. That's why Radical Dreamers never had to undergo any reconstruction to be played, it is a complete ROM image on its own because it did not depend on broadcast times or additional satellite data.
>>
>>2913837
Damn, that does sound like a hot mess. Also sounds cool as fuck, shame we couldn't experience it without being in japan and not being busy at the time, and also spending decent money on the setup.
>>
File: 1434521934534.png (21KB, 592x533px) Image search: [Google]
1434521934534.png
21KB, 592x533px
>>2913837
Thanks for the info, man.

I've been trying to work this out, since I was wondering if it was possible get a hold of some actual authentic cartridges with Satellaview data and have them still be playable.

From what you've described, it sounds like what I want to do is only possible with certain games.
>>
File: radical as fuck.jpg (10KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
radical as fuck.jpg
10KB, 480x360px
So, what are the best BS games? Are the Zeldas any good?
>>
>>2913837
It's pretty amazing how some groups were able to reconstruct the two BS-Zelda titles, though.
Hell, Ancient Stone Tablets even has little subtitle bars now to mimic the original narration. It's basically 100% complete now. Except it isn't.
>>
>>2914572
The Zeldas are pretty good, but Ancient Stone Tablets suffers from having to swap save files around due to how it was made.
>>
>>2914610
I'd like to play them but the creators made such a mess of their website I gave up on that shit
>>
>>2913569
I googled BS Zelda and clicked the second link saw this:

>Media: Pseudo-streaming download via satellite network, saved to either the Satellaview base unit's flash-RAM or to a BS-X flash-cart
>>
I heard not too long ago that someone had recorded the AST clips. This is the only thing I could find.

Seems kinda weird having the game play out before you get to the place it's at.

I'm shocked though. The music that begins at 3:29 I had thought was a really good fan composition for that fan-game Seeds of Evil. It's canon after all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7omV7rEktTQ
>>
>>2913627
I had an English teacher like you. He said you should never say "I think" because if you're making the statement it's obvious that you're the one thinking it. But what both he and you seem to miss is that it's a casual way to indicate uncertainty. Anon said he thought the data was stored on the device, meaning he didn't know for sure. If he'd left out "I think" then it would've been a concrete statement some asshole would've pounced on with "acktchually..." like they always do. But look it happened anyway.
>>
>>2913569
Just watch this video, gives a history of the platform and goes in-depth on the Zelda games on it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDVxSm-_iM4

Also check on the Satellablog. It's a blog run by some dude trying to archive as much Satellaview material as he can. Has some neat ROM dumps on the site. http://superfamicom.org/blog/
>>
>>2915221
Did you ever correct your professor?
>>
>>2913627
I think you're a faggot.
>>
>>2917001
He wasn't a professor, just some typical high school teacher who wasn't even worth the effort.
>>
>>2914621
It is literally not hard at all to pick out which files to download. A child could do it.
>>
>>2914609
The only thing left to do is pay japanese VAs to recreate the dialog.

Or have people get jobs at St. GIGA and spend their time trying to find all of their old satellaview stuff.
>>
>>2913574
What's the difference between that and Sega Channel?

Also, is the rom for the satellaview Zelda available?
>>
>>2917535
Should be. There are homebrew carts of the game.
>>
It is available and there are patchs to play it properly
>>
>>2914572
Kaizou Choujin Shubibinman Zero is rather good. Has coop and a good soundtrack. I think someone actually made repro carts for it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jl_Uya0DXE8

>>2914621
lol
>>
Are the zelda games hard?

I think i feel bad for those people who would get stuck somewhere and couldn't catch up with the spoken dialogue.
>>
>>2913837
What this guy said.

Watching old recordings of Ancient Tablets and shit is super cool because you'd hear these voices and orchestrated music and shit, so it was like playing vidya and hearing a radio drama. I'm kinda bummed that I'll never be able to experience something like that.
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.