[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why Lufia is a piece of shit

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3

File: lufia.jpg (2MB, 2100x1536px) Image search: [Google]
lufia.jpg
2MB, 2100x1536px
You know, I really wanted to like this game.

I had Lufia 2 as a kid and finally decided to get Lufia and give it a shot.

I like Lufia 2. I think it's a great JRPG. I like the puzzles and the IP system. I figured I'd finally try out the original and see what it's all about. I just got out of the Ghost Cave.

How anyone thought this was good is beyond me.

The enemy targeting system is one of the dumbest thing's I've ever seen. Frequently making you distribute your damage against multiple enemies, basically making whether or not you kill something dumb fucking luck.

This basically forces you to grind to hedge your bets. You could beat it at lower levels if you got good rolls and hit the same enemy over and over.

I'm level 14. I've had to grind probably 4 times already and I'm only like 2 and a half hours in.

The encounter rate is ridiculous and the amount of enemies you fight per encounter is disgusting. Lufia finally learned Bang, which targets everything which should help but my god the sheer amount of time spent per random battle is insane.

It also falls into the Lufia 2 pattern of doing a shitload of mundane tasks before you can progress to your next boring fetch quest.

Convince me to finish this /vr/. Tell me it gets better.
>>
>>2913227
I remember watching someone play this on an emu in alternative school. I tried it out and then went back to Helicopter Game.
>>
I say finish it just to say you did. You never know, it might pick up. RPGs tend to get more fun as you gain access to more skills, more customisation and more challenging battles. From what I've seen, there are many people who love Lufia 2 but don't like Lufia 1 so you're not alone.
>>
sorry, I think it stays consistently crappy all the way through. Lufia 2 was a fluke.
>>
It's been... Shit. Well over fifteen years since I played it. It recall it picking up a bit towards the middle/end. The elf girl was cool enough.
>>
>>2913227

Stop playing now, you're wasting your time. Forget this franchise ever existed, it has very few redeeming qualities. Only the most unrepentant and shameless use of nostalgia goggles could cause someone to say the Lufia series is anything but garbage.
>>
Your error was playing 2 before 1, because 1 it has an horrible gameplay system. After you use a cheat to move faster on the map and sweet water items to avoid most monster encounters, then it starts to feel like a decent game. i still like it tought
>>
>>2913227
It's an old school RPG and the sole hook is the story. The way it opens in media res was unheard of at the time, and the twists it delivers are pretty novel, as well, even if they're cliche by now.

Lufia 2 has you do a shitton of fetch quests without any goal whatsoever and is story is a pretty terrible remake of Lufia 1's. Lufia 1 always has a constant big goal to achieve, and is infinitely better written. Not to say it's AMAZING, but it's solid for an RPG of the time.

It IS sluggish, it IS archaic, it ISN'T user friendly, and if you don't like it just stop now.

I loved this because of the story, and only because of that did I put up with the gameplay. It has an amazing amount of twists and turns in the end, and it delivers one of the biggest gaming twists for me in that it's so understated that going in blind and getting to it was pretty memorable.

About the targeting, I liked it. Golden Sun and I think DQ did that too. It forces you to be strategic even when you're overpowered, or you'll end up hitting dead air.

But yeah if you hate it now just stop and play something you like.
>>
>>2913464
>nostalgia goggles

Opinion discarded.
>>
>>2914292
>the sole hook is the story.

I think the ONLY thing Lufia's story does well is the beginning and the ending.

Which is unfortunate, because you do some cool stuff like meet up with Guy and Artea but it's such a missed opportunity.

Guy could've been killed off by Gades or something, but instead you just meet him, have a 2 second conversation with him about how Gades came back, then he fucking kicks the bucket. Just absolutely worthless in terms of story progression.

>You have an immediate goal
You have that in Lufia 2 as well, but the problem with both of them is that you're never really doing anything related to it.

Chrono Trigger is a game where you have an end goal early on: Defeat Lavos. Everything you're doing is directly related to finding Lavos, even if it seems like a tangent. You hunt down the Masamune so you can get Frog to show you the way to Magus' castle, because Magus is known to have summoned Lavos in 600AD.

Lufia (and 2) doesn't have that, until you -finally- go after Dual Blade. Meeting up with Guy and Artea is so disjointed by doing incredibly mundane fetch quests that aren't related to anything and bar your progression arbitrarily. Who gives a shit about some Ruby Apple, or the Hope Ruby? I sure as shit don't, but it's an excuse to give you another maze-like dungeon.

Thats Lufia's biggest problem. What you want to see is the Sinistrals. You want to be fighting them, or at least actively looking for them or finding stuff that will -let- you fight them. The problem is you're almost never doing that.
>>
Lufia 3 is the best game.
>>
>>2913227

Sorry anon, Lufia 2 is better in every way - one of my favorite games as a kid. Playing 2 before the original was your only problem.

The original Lufia unfortunately has the problems you stated and it feels dated. Might as well stop if you are not having fun and if the story has not gripped you yet.
>>
>The enemy targeting system is one of the dumbest thing's I've ever seen. Frequently making you distribute your damage against multiple enemies, basically making whether or not you kill something dumb fucking luck.
Spoiled baby. Most classic JRPGs before 1993 didn't have auto re-targeting systems. Planning out which characters attacked who is part of the strategy. It requires you to have knowledge of the enemies you're facing and to not waste attacks. You only "distribute damage across multiple enemies" when you don't know what you're doing.

>I'm level 14. I've had to grind probably 4 times already and I'm only like 2 and a half hours in.
Welcome to classic JRPGs, son. Leave your pacifier at the door.

>The encounter rate is ridiculous and the amount of enemies you fight per encounter is disgusting. Lufia finally learned Bang, which targets everything which should help but my god the sheer amount of time spent per random battle is insane.
See above.

>Convince me to finish this /vr/. Tell me it gets better.
You don't need convincing. Classic RPGs like this obviously isn't for you. Go back to Mega Man X and Mario Party.
>>
>>2915215
>You only distribute damage across multiple enemies when you don't know what you're doing

How? If theres a group of 3 enemies they are a fucking "group" and you only target the group.

It's a total crapshoot whether or not you hit what you want to hit. If Aguro can kill it in one hit, but it takes hero + lufia to melee it down, then you're fucking relying on dumb luck. If hero and aguro hits the same target its a shitload of wasted damage.
>>
File: many things need to be erased.png (163KB, 413x451px) Image search: [Google]
many things need to be erased.png
163KB, 413x451px
>>2914685

>you need a strategy guide to learn to use the menu
>random generated dungeons
>no puzzles

it was horrible
>>
Why the fuck does everyone leave Dual Blade on the damn floating island.

How fucking retarded are these people?

>"Oh the next generation will just get it up here"

That's the dumbest shit ever. Fucking take it with you. Fucking teach your heirs how to use it. Maybe you can avoid a globe trotting adventure that way.

Fucking idiots.
>>
>>2915228
You can choose your target, numbnuts.
>>
>>2915253
No.
No you can't.
>>
File: Lufia 2 - Tia Ending.webm (1MB, 480x320px) Image search: [Google]
Lufia 2 - Tia Ending.webm
1MB, 480x320px
>>
>>2915253
You can target a group of enemies but not individual enemies from said group.
Fortunately it was fixed on the sequelprequel.
>>
>>2915334
So, as someone who owned and played this when it came out and has done so many times since, I just have to say this.

When I opened that, I saw Tia as a Final Fantasy SNES era sprite, of a knight with a big plumed helm with an open visor. And it threw me off. I realized what I was looking at in a second, but god that was weird.

Anyway, carry on.
>>
>>2915334
Is Tia a character in the prequel? I mean Lufia 1?
>>
>>2915802
Yeah. She's basically Maxim's Tifa. Huge crush on him, nothing ever comes of it.
>>
>>2914618
No, there aren't any big goals in Lufia 2. You're told to just travel around, then you meet Gades. The big goal is MAYBE defeating him. Then defeating the Sinistrals. There's never any reason given for anything other than just travelling to defeat them.

Whereas in Lufia I, you investigate Sheran, meet Gades, then get the goal of finding Guy and Artea, then of finding Dual Blade, THEN defeating the Sinistrals. Compare with Lufia 2, where you meet everyone by chance and Maxim hears of Dual Blade like five minutes before getting it (also it's inexplicably underwater just because).

>>2914685
Agreed.

>>2915247
Well, Maxim dies on Doom Island which then sinks into the ocean, and in Lufia 1 Dual Blade thrusts on its own into Lufia and falls into the abyss. And the island sinks again.

It's not like they can just take it.

>>2915802
Lufia I is a chronological sequel to Lufia II and Tia's not even mentioned.
>>
>>2913227
I just met Artea.

I don't want to drop it but it hasn't gotten any better. Going up the towers twice was just so stupid.
>>
>>2917269

if you dont like you should quit now, for good. Or use the cheat to move faster in the overworld. Because when you get to the alumina quest you will ragequit the game and hate it.
>>
>>2917372
I legit liked the alumina sidequest, how the world map opened up and it was up to you to explore it all felt pretty cool.
>>
Oddly enough this game appealed to me more than the Dragon Quest games it tried to copy.
>>
>>2914582

Is that your trigger word, my young sperglord? >:)
>>
>>2917372
The guide I glanced at said I should be level 32.

I was level 23. I'm just about to go to the Old Cave level 5 or whatever to get the dudes apprentice.

I grinded for 2 hours and got to level 32. I'm trying to save money for Grand swords and other equipment from Lab number 4.
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.