[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Ecco the Dolphin

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 4

It was a miracle that I beat this with save states.

Ecco is a really cool game. It's too bad the difficulty is bullshit. A checkpoint after every crystal block would have been fine.

Did anyone actually beat this as a kid? How far did you get?
>>
I once dated a girl who claimed to have beaten it, but I never could. Although, I do have many fond memories of this game in college from when I would give it to my intoxicated roommate and say "here, play this".
>>
File: 0K6qDpaCTSY.jpg (66KB, 604x418px) Image search: [Google]
0K6qDpaCTSY.jpg
66KB, 604x418px
>>2912017
I'm a massive massive Ecco fan, and it took me a long ass time. I got stuck on the Asterite for so long that I ended up trying to find codes to a later level and discovered NNNNNNNN brings you to The Machine. I went back to just plugging away at Asterite and once I figured it out isn't really all that bad.

That said, the only part I think is unfairly hard is the very high jump in City of Forever. To this day it takes me at least a dozen tries before getting it right.
>>
le artificial difficulty stoner dolphin XDDDDDD
420 blaze it so vaporwave you guys
>>
>>2912046
Ohh stoner friend getting mad at Ecco was a great time.
>>
>>2912046
>XDDDDDD
>420 blaze it
anons release date: 2003
>>
woopty-doo an ecco thread... may as well have started a snatcher thread as well. same shit here, different day.
>>
>>2912017
>difficulty is bullshit
>not artificial difficulty
WTF? Are you like an adult or something?

Beat it when it came out. It was unnecessarily hard and a waste of a lot of hours of my life I'll never get back. Even with save states this is a game not worth beating.
>>
>>2912905
The only poor decision regarding difficulty is the lack of a checkpoint after The Machine. I fully support practicing the end-boss with the password and then going back and doing it properly once you've learned it.
>>
>>2912549
Thanks for bumping it anyway. I last saw it on page 3 earlier today and expected it to die.

It turns that the japanese version has been fixed in a bunch of ways. There actually are check points halfway through most levels, right after the crystals no less. I got to The Marble Sea in one sitting without save states and without too much frustration.
I wish there was a rom hack of the japanese version with the english text put back in.
>>
>>2912956
In the 3DS M2 port you can switch between the Japanese and US versions. But I don't know if it has the checkpoints in there, haven't checked.

Also, Ecco has a pretty robust cheat/debug menu that's in every version. Have Ecco change direction left or right and pause while he's facing the screen. Then press Right, B, C, B, C, Down, C, Up. It opens up this menu which will let you do a number of things, including teleport to anywhere on the map you want. It's a little clunky, but you can use that like your personal checkpoint marker.
>>
>>2912046

go back to /v/
>>
>>2912017
oh yeah this and jr back then though i think i would spend maybe 2 -3 weeks on one game at a time so 4 hours after school each day + weekend times
>>
>>2913808
Top quality post, thanks. Also clearly not getting the joke about earlier threads.
>>
>>2912017
I played it a couple of times on an emulator as a pre teen... I never knew there was an alien invasion, let alone that it was so scary, until several years later when I read about it. I just explored.
Though I got to see all the animal getting abducted into the sky and I was "wtf was that?"
>>
>>2913825

the joke? you mean the time you got trolled by a "stoner" when you started an Ecco thread last month? the joke was on you...
>>
>>2913835
You sure can't have played much, everything getting sucked up into the sky is basically the first thing that actually happens in the game.
>>
>>2913849
I've never actually started a Ecco thread here despite probably being the biggest fan of it around. But yes, the stoner guy who tried to play it high and then got madder and madder was hilarious and what that guy was referencing.

But hey, your "go back to /v/" post, that was some quality conversion there! Got anymore insightful comments?
>>
Ecco II is one of my favourite games of all time. I got it for Christmas in 94 or 95 and it took me ages to complete.
>>
>>2913850
I'm probably confused and played the begining of the sequel more.
>>
>>2912017
Sega CD version has checkpoints at crystal blocks.

Despite what some people say the soundtrack is no worse than the original, it's just different. You might like it more even.
>>
>>2912017

I got to the vertical tube leading into the "machine" as a kid. I probably would have finished the game but we had to give the system back or something (it was borrowed).

Granted, the hardest part is just past that. But beating that is more about patience and memorization than anything else, and I was capable enough in those regards.
>>
>>2912905

It's not very hard though. Try replacing your brain with one that works right and doesn't require you to bring up tedious memes and complain a lot about things that are only problems for incompetents.

You will find this difficult. But try.
>>
>>2914096
That's entirely possible. You can swim around in that opening area for as long as you want.
>>
>>2914110
I wouldn't call it unnecessarily hard, but it is pretty challenging and very different from most other games. It's really mostly about patience, but the air meter makes some people want to rush and the whole thing seem a lot harder than it is.
>>
File: little-boy-holding-moms-hand.jpg (59KB, 700x400px) Image search: [Google]
little-boy-holding-moms-hand.jpg
59KB, 700x400px
>>2912017
>A checkpoint after every crystal block would have been fine.
>>
File: 1414380689763.jpg (96KB, 960x245px) Image search: [Google]
1414380689763.jpg
96KB, 960x245px
Reminder:
https://twitter.com/edannunziata/status/286924944070291456
>>
>>2916182
That's cool. I don't use twitter.

Someone ask him why they changed the soundtrack of Ecco CD to sea creature orgasms and shit instead of having a faithful high quality rework of the original? Was there just like one guy who liked masturbating to whale and dolphin noises and figured eh, if he records it and puts in a game he can get paid for wanking as well?
>>
Something I don't get is why Sega won't let Ed make Ecco 3. Even if it's shit, at least it's something.

I mean, what else is Ecco doing right now? Fucking nothing, it's dead, like so many other once interesting Sega franchises.
>>
>>2912017
I got to the end boss but kept dying and still couldn't reliably do Welcome to the Machine, so it takes forever for me to get back.
>>
try playing it high
>>
>>2917934
Dude try playing it while vaperwaving
>>
>>2916521
It does suck because not only is he the best man qualified for that job, but he also would love doing it.

And I don't think Ecco 3 needs to be an expensive game. So they could go low risk - low cost.

I know Ed did that Kickstarter for some higher tech game, but IMO, something like Rayman Origin's graphics would work just fine if they couldn't afford to develop a decent 3D game.
>>
>>2912017
Enjoyed the GG games aside from the block pushing puzzle and asterisk globes, the Genesis ones were a massive turn off.
>>
>>2916521
>I don't get is why Sega won't let Ed make Ecco 3
>Even if it's shit, at least it's something
Because Sega would rather not put money into something that could end up with losses or put money into more profitable things.

>I mean, what else is Ecco doing right now? Fucking nothing, it's dead
Exactly. Putting money into dead franchises isn't a wise move.
>>
Never had the first game, but it took me months and months of playing every day to beat Ecco 2.
It became an obsession. I dreamed about it. Talked about it. Had rage fits that looked like I was having an epileptic seizure after failing a level for the billionth time.

After all that hard work, You got a pretty lame end too. And a passcode for a game that never came to exist.
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.