[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/vr/ help me with this. I have an old computer gathering dust

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

/vr/ help me with this. I have an old computer gathering dust and I would like to turn it into an emulation machine. I was thinking of hooking it up directly to a TV and make the pc boot directly to some program that would start the emulators. I was wondering if any of you guys have experience with this or any advice, or if it's achievable at all?
>>
>>2911953
No.

Theres absolutely no way to do what you're asking.
>>
>>2911953

google search Retroarch.

read the rest there.
>>
>>2911984
Thanks man
>>
>>2911953
I'd recommend Launchbox as well, especially if you're having trouble getting retroarch configured properly.
>>
what is it with the serious influx of dumbfucks who cant google anything coming to /vr/ and 4chan in general in the last few years
>>
>>2914470
'Kids'. Basically it's a bunch of younger people coming in to jump on the retro bandwagon.

It's also why you see a lot of "What's your favorite GBA/PS2 game?" and "Real consoles and games suck, emulation4lyfe!" posts all the time now.
>>
>>2914505
i get coming here when you're underage (fuck, i was 15 when i first started posting here back in the day)

i cant really word what im trying to say here, but i think its weird how nowadays people can make it all the way to 4chan internet wise without picking up basic shit like googling

i guess 4chin isn't so obscure anymore
>>
I have a similar problem. I've been trying Emulation Station and it's pretty good so far, but how exactly do you set it up to work on boot? I've searched for it but I'm not getting any specific instructions.
Basically I'd like to boot directly to the program without actually having to enter windows and having to deal with the keyboard/mouse.
>>
this is the very least helpful board ive ever been on on 4chan
>>
>>2914534
>i cant really word what im trying to say here
>i was 15 when i first started posting here back in the day
So when do you turn 16?
>>
http://www.lakka.tv/
>>
>>2915397
Very useful bro, thank you
>>
>>2911965
Good contribution. You are really making /vr/ a great board.

In response to OP, I know there's a way to make Windows automatically launch emulators on startup, but there might be a Linux distribution out ther made to do just this. Look around on Google, I'm sure there's plenty of guides out there.
>>
>>2914568
Can't you just use the task scheduler to launch it when the computer boots?
>>
>>2914791
maybe if people would stop treating this place like /g/ or at the very least do a little fucking googling before asking questions, the reactions wouldn't be so hostile
>>
>>2914791
I dunno, /x/ can be pretty unhelpful.
>>
>>2914568
>not booting into windows

this is impossible. the emulator relies on the operating system for interfacing with hardware.

>not dealing with keyboard and mouse

write a batch file that launches your emulator, and then kills explorer.exe, and whatever other superfluous processes are running. put this batch file in your startup folder.

you'll still need to interface somehow to actually choose a rom, though, so I'd suggest looking into an application to map controller input to mouse functions.

>>2916525
the linux way would be functionally the same as the windows way, but done through "Linux stuff" (initd and shell scripts instead of startup folder and batch files).

linux could possibly be more flexible though if you wanted to fuck around with runlevels and shit, but I haven't done that in so long I wouldn't even remember how to talk about it.
>>
>>2917837
>impossible
>linux
>i r confuse
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.