[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ITT: Bitching about price inflation in games

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 387
Thread images: 27

File: nwc.jpg (50KB, 586x425px) Image search: [Google]
nwc.jpg
50KB, 586x425px
Anyone else stop colleting NES games because of their recent (as in over the past 5-10 years) rapid inflation?
>>
>>2911820
The opposite. I had stuff in storage I realized I never really used anymore so I took the high market prices as an opportunity to dump stuff and make room.

Really though, old video games are collector's items at this point. Prices are bound to keep going up over time, that's just the way collector's items work.
>>
>>2911820
I didn't have an NES growing up. First console was an SNES.

I generally find myself playing more PS1 onwards games. I actually don't want to collect garbage games, and the NES has those in spades.

I did just recently get a Neo-Geo MVS cabinet which is it's own kind of suffering for prices.
>>
>>2911848
>I actually don't want to collect garbage games

lol did you get lost on the way to your thread? >>2909389
>>
>>2911820
It's unfair that we all can't have contest only giveaway carts that number in the hundreds. Hopefully Bernie Sanders can fix it
>>
>>2911820
I don't collect for the nes at this time, not having one. My current plan when I start is to get an av famicom, the nes converter and flashcart. That way I can play any games (excepting fds) and collect at my leisure.

Right now the carts I am collecting are for the GB, it's cheaper and there are only a few titles that are above 20$ (US versions of MM 3-5, Kid Dracula).
>>2911848
>I actually don't want to collect garbage game
Yeah, because the cost of those ones is the problem. Good thing AAA games are staying rock bottom.
>>
>>2911856
I love how /vr/ immediately assumes when I say there were a lot of shit games on the NES the only ones I care about are the big releases.

You people are the reason we can't have nice things.
>>
No, most the good titles were popular and therefore aren't very expensive. Most the really expensive games are only collected for special snowflake status. your picture is a terrible game, the zelda test cart is just tloz with a different sticker and case, most others are rare because they were shit and didnt sell well when new. I find most games at stores or online for considerably less than a new game and it wont be worth 10% of its purchase price as soon as you take it home.
>>
>>2911856
Why not just RGB mod a NES 2?
>>
File: fishing8276-gfs_5.jpg (28KB, 322x290px) Image search: [Google]
fishing8276-gfs_5.jpg
28KB, 322x290px
>>2911865
You went out of your way to say you think the NES has spades of garbage games and then get shocked when people respond? You go fishing here a lot?
>>
>>2911856
You can play FDS using flashcarts, but it will sound shit for games that uses the extra sound channel (actually not that many, but many of the heavy-hitters), just saying.
>>
>>2911894
Does emulation work with the extra sound channel?
>>
>>2911883
I'm not very handy..
>>2911894
Neat, but are there any fds games that offer a viable improvement in content/presentation. I know there are some differences, like say for example Metroid having a save option
>>2911865
>I don't collect NES
Then why did you post anyway? I was just stating that the games that have gotten a noticable markup are the ones people want to buy, not the shit ones. Not every collector is a sperg who needs a complete library. I'm sure you don't collect shitty PS1 games, and the library had them in SPADES.
>>
>>2911820
You know that Nintendo World Championships is a special case right? Only about 100 of those carts exist.

Most of the expensive NES games are mediocre games that only collectors have ever heard of. If all you want is a NES with Mario, Zelda, and Metroid, you can buy that for a lot cheaper than it would have cost you in the '80s.
>>
>>2911898
FDS sound sorta "OK" or more like acceptable but way not perfect when emulating, but games with special chips like Gimmick still suck very hard on emulation.
>>
>>2911921
But I deserve to get the games for 98% off of MSRP because REASONS and MUH NOSTALGIA
>>
>>2911894
>>2911927
Doesn't it depend if you use a Famicom or a NES?
>>
File: 1446330583216.jpg (32KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1446330583216.jpg
32KB, 500x500px
>any remotely popular SNES game is now $80+

I fucking hate what the rise of "nerd culture" has done to the price of retro Nintendo games, luckily SEGA shit isn't really affected
>>
>>2911948
They're still cheaper than what they cost new. I remember paying 120 back then for fucking street fighter. And I think 90 for some spider man game on the genesis. Even sports games cost at least 50.
>>
>>2911948
be thankful you don't live in the UK where SNES games were going for around that price mark before the popularity spike
thank christ for SD2SNES
>>
>>2911948
>any remotely popular SNES game is now $80+

If you want it complete with box and manual, yeah. If you just want the cart, go on eBay and be patient with your auctions, you can often score games in the $50-$60 range.
>>
>>2911948
>It was so much better when I was a special snowflake for being a nerd!
>>
I use to collect NES stuff, but over the last year I've moved more to Sega and Playstation stuff.

For one, I already have every game I originally wanted for NES, (Contras, Marios, Castlevanias etc) and with the rise of prices it makes me want to not do so any more. Hell, where I live people post on Kijiji, selling there hoarded copies of Nintendo games, wanting ridiculous prices. No seriously there's a guy on Hamilton Kijiji who hoards this shit like crazy... dozens of Smash Bros, Mario KArts, Zeldas, and he's asking insane prices on all of them. Doesn't help too that the guys a fucking dick. Nintendo stuff in general is getting butt raped to say the least. That's why I've moved to playstation and sega: nobody (or not as many people) are really paying attention to them so I'm getting good deals and adding good games to my collection, because lots of other people are going MUH NINTENDOS. I can't wait in 5-10 years from now when they all start moving to Sega/PS1/PS2 and I will already have all the popular/sought after games.
>>
>>2911972
I dunno if Sega will ever experience the price inflation. I have a feeling PS1 and PS2 will though. Grab those $5 PS2 bargain bin bundles while you can.
>>
>>2911972
>Hamilton
Ontario? When I used to collect I remember some real dick bags in this city.
>>
>>2911979
Why not Sega?
>>
>>2911948
>he's mad that the games are cheaper now than when released
>>
>>2911979
PS1/PS2 will for sure have a rise, people will get nostalgic for it or they will move to those after collecting other systems. Ie, someone coming off of collecting N64 might laterally move to the PS1; same era, similar games/technology.

Sega's a bit harder to say, they don't make consoles anymore, so in a way there not really on everyone's mind. I think Genesis will, though it already kind of is, rising, it's arguably Sega's most well known system and has many classics on it that people will want to collect. Saturn, Dreamcast, not so much I don't think. They both have good games, but generally that stuff is harder to come by (especially Saturn), but that's just what I think.
>>
>>2911986
Yes, Hamilton Ontario. Some real sleazeballs like to try and sell games in that city. Whatever you do, don't buy from the greasy scalpers and hoarders there.
>>
I just bought river city ransom for $35, adjusted for inflation that is $18.79 on par or cheaper than it would have been before snes came out for a bare cart
>>
>>2912002
Well it does work out pretty well on occasion I'm this guy >>2911839 and probably got as good a price as I did because the guy buying from me thought he could jack the prices even higher.

The funny thing is, in the late 90's to early 00's the pawnshops down town were actually really good. Way better prices than Toronto and a tons of stuff, that's where I did a lot of my collecting back when I was into it.
>>
>>2911952
>this meme excuse
>games then were loose carts too
>>
>>2912014
Huh, I see. There always will be a guy who thinks he can jack the price up more and more, which is true for some games. But I think at some point prices will stabilize more as interest dwindles or people start to think if what they are paying is really worth it. I wonder what that guy you sold is too is doing with it now though, haha. I would have loved to collect in the 90's early 00's, it sounds like a utopia in collecting.
>>
>>2911961
>If you just want the cart, go on eBay and be patient with your auctions, you can often score games in the $50-$60 range.

Yeay, great fucking difference, what a deal, you used to get them for like $12 before shillbidders and hipster bidwars became a thing.
>>
>>2912014
So collect the stuff they're literally giving away (like they were when NES and SNES weren't popular)
>>
>>2912035
I think they will stabilize to a degree but always slowly go up with inflation. Old carts are finite in number, but more and more people get into collecting.

>>2912042
This really is the time to start picking up PS1/PS2, Gamecube and Xbox stuff. A couple generations back always seems the cheapest when it's neither current nor really retro and there's tons of stuff around. Once it begins to dry up, prices start going up.

I'm totally off collecting now though, I still have a few portables but got rid of almost everything. Even with new games I buy them digitally any time I can. These days I just want the games, not all the stuff that goes with them.
>>
>>2912054
I think the ship has sailed for some of Gamecube and some PS1 rares, the other stuff you're prob right about
>>
>>2912040
I'm sorry that other people want the same limited-supply luxury items as you and are willing to pay higher prices for them.

There's always emulation.
>>
I actually stopped collecting carts for the most part, and only buy hardware. The only further purchases I make are for mods or flashcarts so that I can download and burn any game I want but still play on real hardware. For a while I was worried that this change in behavior would cheapen the value of games for me, as it often did for emulators. On the contrary, I don't really feel like I have an inability to choose and stick to one game at a time. it's really handy to have every game on a console easily available, and the ability to run some romhacks or translations only sweetens the deal. I paid 100 bucks for an N64 flash cart. Expensive, but that's less than I would pay for just a few of the more expensive games on the system. With how this turned out, I'm excited to go and get a genesis model too, though I'll probably start with a chinadrive because it's easier to afford. Either way I think they're swell, and recommend them to anyone who wants to enjoy the real hardware but hates dealing with bubble prices.
>>
>>2912081
Yeah you're probably right, and I haven't been paying close attention. Popularity comes into it a lot, I think Gamecube never being a smash hit will mean it's prices go up faster. The period where Saturn stuff was actually cheap was very brief.
>>
>>2912081
Gamecube for sure has already sailed, it's almost as big as N64 if not bigger. PS1 is gaining steam but I've still found some of my rare Ps1 games for good prices. At this point stuff like Tron Bonne, Suikoden II, Klonoa are staying high but I really think that Ps1 is still possible to collect for at a reasonable price.
>>
>>2912031
You must be young, most kids didnt save the flimsy carboard boxes the games came in.

most were, some had the instructions strapped to them with a rubber band, ggod shops would use those clear plastic cases or at least the little dust cap for the bottom
>>
>>2912101
they were meant to be thrown out, collect ephemera in general
>>
>>2911993
I wasn't basing that off of any objective facts, I just don't really like the Genesis. I dunno how others feel about the console.

Contrary to my initial claim, some Saturn and Dreamcast games already go for pretty high prices.
>>
>>2912112
I think Dreamcast is still pretty cheap, Saturn is insanely priced. If RHEA doesn't get higher availability I will actually accept the argument of people bitching about Saturn prices as there are no good options for it, unlike N64 bitching which is just poorfags complaining because they don't have a time machine to buy games in for about a 3 year window
>>
>>2912101
Heck, even today I see kids throw away or destroy the cases that DS games come in. I guess no one but us obsessives who saw what they could be worth years later are up on the upkeep.
>>
>>2912123
That's reprehensible, much like throwing out Genesis cases is/was. We literally didn't know any better at the time and storing your games in boxes for N64, SNES and NES if you played them a lot was retarded. Plus the boxes were made like shit, they were made to be thrown out
>>
>>2912130
>>2912123
I always threw out my boxes. Kept all my games in one box. Only even kept the manual if I really needed it and then always got rid of it eventually. Never planned to sell my stuff though.
>>
>>2912118
>Saturn is insanely priced

That's kind of just a meme. The most expensive (English NTSC) Saturn game is Panzer Dragoon Saga, and then there's a pretty sharp drop off in price. When I first heard that Saturn games were expensive I excitedly checked the value of my 7 Saturn games from when I was a kid (all CiB), and they only go for about $40-$50 each. I'd say the SNES is more expensive on average.
>>
>>2912123
you must have been older or that one kid that nobody liked playing with because you were so uptight about your toys. I didn't view my playthings as a financial investment at 10yrs old.

>>2912136
me too got new game literally tore the paper thin box open, popped in the cart and read the instructions if I hadn't played it before. instructions usually got lost over the years.

randomly I have cib tloz classics ed (older sisters) and MM collectors ed. (first game I bought with my first real job) both boxes are beat to shit and taped up though
>>
>>2912169
Not that guy, but I saved every game box and manual I owned all the way from early childhood. I was always extremely uptight about my toys and everything, always paranoid to let people even touch my things. Still am, I have three 3DSs and it was pretty hard to lend one to my friend.

Unfortunately I didn't have a SNES as a kid, so I couldn't invest in any SNES boxes...
>>
>>2912176
my friend was like that, used to suffer through it because his dad was well off and they had a "tiemff" genny with sega tv, which I thought was the coolest.

his mom was also good looking and would sunbathe in a small 2 piece. forgot that I was a perv even back then.
>>
I haven't stopped, but I have slowed down my collecting of old vidya.

I have most of what I'd ever want. I still kick myself for not getting certain games when I had the chance, but that's the way it goes.
>>
>>2912136
Same, my bro and I threw out plenty of boxes. We rarely even kept the manuals. As if we needed that chump helper info or that stupid flimsy box for a simple game like mario RPG.

It's easier just to not think about how expensive the box we threw asway is now.
>>
>>2912169
No, I was just as bad. Just pointing out that nothing has changed.
>>
>>2912198
Same here. I only collect for consoles I actually owned as a kid except for the NES. A friend of mine has a NES ever drive and it holds just about every single game ever released. I might just do that for NES games.
>>
>>2912205
the fact that a paper thin wood mush box and a throw away pamphlet would make all the difference was lost on me too. I kick myself everytime I think about tossing the box. losing all the swag, destroying the guide with a koolaid mishap and using the stickers to earthbound. at least the cart still works
>>
>>2912138
Shining Force, Dragoon Saga, Albert Odyssey, there's a few more
>>
>>2912176
I saved my cartridge game boxes and manuals too but I never stored my games in the box. Even I thought that was stupid. What I did was I just stored my games in this plastic box and out the actual game boxes with the manual away in this other plastic box I had in my closet. That way I could just easily play my games and my game boxes were preserved. I may have been a little older than usual though, I got my N64 when I was around 10 years old and was always careful about my stuff growing up.
>>
>>2912245
Saturn don't know bout dem Sega CD prices.

Of course it's easy to burn those soooooo
>>
>>2912252
Most Sega CD is cheap
>>
>>2912357
Yeah, the shit games are cheap. Anything actually worthwhile is expensive as hell.
>>
>>2912363
So it has the Saturn's problem except it's a more shit system in general
>>
>>2912368
Exactly. It's a nifty concept and all, but Sega CD just doesn't have the library to justify me getting one.
>>
>>2912138
40-50 bucks per game is pretty expensive.
>>
>>2911894
You can also get a RAM adapter and the FDS Stick. The RAM adapter will load the disk data from the Stick instead of the disk drive, so outside of the physical experience of disk flipping and hearing the drive, it is presumably identical to playing from the disk (I say presumably since I've yet to try it myself, but there is no reason to believe it'd be any different at all).
>>
>>2911820
Nah still collecting and enjoying myself.
>>
>>2912447
(I believe it can also be used to backup and rewrite disks, which can be nice if you are doing a homebrew release or have a prototype to dump)
>>
>>2911820
I collect GB/GBC/GBA games because I was a poor ass kid and only had a gameboy, hence nostalgia.

Gameboy games are still cheap as chips even on ebay except for some mint condition sealed madness.

The only systems with hyper inflated prices are NES/SNES. Some N64 games are, but gamecube and wii are fine. I blame hipsters.
>>
I don't understand collecting NES games. Snes is far surperior in almost every way.
>>
I just started collecting SNES stuff last month. Shit is fucking expensive. Im trying to get CIB stuff but have to pay out the ass for it. And this is simply stuff that I USED to own. I can't imagine actually trying to collect the entire SNES linear. What with paying $1000 for my not even good condition earthbound (I'm already planning on spending $1200 for a much better condition one next month), and paying $300 for ogre battle, and another $300 for ff3 and secret of mana (for both, all boxed) It's ridiculous. Chrono is going to run me another $250 most likely, probably more.

Tell me how any normal person is supposed to afford this crap. Seriously. I'm just lucky I have free rent and no car, no gf, and tons of free time to work and not that many bills and too much free cash to spend

I should just save more money for a down payment on a house or something. Something about super Nintendo games triggers my autism however.
>>
>>2912495
A normal person is fine with just buying loose carts.
>>
Got a flash cart about a year ago, and haven't bought an NES or FC cart since. Ditto for GBC and Atari 2600.
>>
>>2912495
I'm not saying it's bad to want games CIB, and it's not bad if you want them CIB, but man, it's just that buying SNES games (especially the RPG's) complete is going to kill your wallet. It's good you at least have a job with cash to spend.
>>
>>2911851
He never said "the NES has no good games", nor did the OP of that thread.
He merely stated the NES library has a lot of shit in it, which it objectively does.

>>2911852
Kek

>>2911892
But it fucking does! I grew up with a NES and I love it, but for every good NES game there were 9 really banal and uninteresting ones, and one terrible game.

The NES has a great library but like half of it isn't worth most people's time.
>>
>>2912475
>except for some mint condition sealed madness.

What do you expect from an acrylic-boxed 85+ VGA graded RARE!!!! game?
>>
>>2912495
>$1000 for my not even good condition Earthbound

Er... you kinda got ripped off dude. I bought mine in average condition for $770. I've been watching Earthbound CiB on eBay for a little while and they never go for too far above $800. Maaaaybe one in perfect condition would go for $1000, but I don't think I would pay that. You see retards putting up their "SUPER MINTY VGA 90++" copies up for ridiculous $1000+ BiN prices, but no one ever buys those. (I think some people bought "sealed" Earthbound's for thousands of dollars once upon a time, but I'm pretty sure they were just getting scammed, as Earthbound was never factory sealed).

I understand wanting to trade up for a box in better condition though. Hopefully you'll sell your current Earthbound before buying a new one?
>>
>>2912495
BTW if you're going to drop this kind of cash on game collecting, it would probably be smarter to save up for a really top-tier game, assuming there is such a game that you want, rather than making a bunch of medium sized purchases. The rarer items are more likely to hold and increase their price, so if you ever need to get your money back, you'll have a better chance of doing so. It's possible that not-rare-but-in-demand SNES titles like FFIII are going through a bubble that will pop.
>>
>>2912571
Why does every seller on eBay type like a retard with ALL CAPS and lots of !!!! ? Even the reputable sellers. I'd enjoy the experience so much more if people had a professional presentation.
>>
>>2912578
Well I'm Canadian for one. Buying it on eBay isn't really an option for me rights now since our dollar is such a joke. I'm planning on selling my current earthbound when I can for a bit more then I paid for it. And use the money to get other games. >>2912586
Well what's rare aside from earthbound and ogre battle? And the thing is, I only want the games I used to own.
>>
>>2911820
Fucking neck beard ass wipes that never grew up are responsible for this fucking inflation in gaming. I am a uni student trying to get by though i wouldn't consider myself a poorfag by any means, either way, old NES games (especially ones that are actually quite common and popular) are sold at near retail price by these autistic faggots for the sake of muh nostalgia. I have a decent nes library but as soon as I saw NES games being sold for 30 dollars used at a flea market was when I said fuck it and started emulating.
>>
>>2912636
If you're in Uni theres no fucking way you had an NES as your first console.

Hell, if you're in Uni now your first console may very well have been a PS2 or an Xbox, hell even a 360.
>>
>>2912586
Funny you say that about FFIII, in my several years of collecting, hitting up stores, conventions, flea markets, I have seen more CIB FFIIIs then I have Earthbounds, Chrono Triggers, Secret of Manas etc. Some of the RPG's like FF especially, are more common than people make them out to be.
>>
>>2912636
you're underage b& that thinks that you deserve games for 5 bucks apiece cuz MUH HOBBY

glad you're emulating :3
>>
>>2912495
My personal advice?
Go for the loose cart and make custom boxes.
I collect cib but I'm into Dreamcast which is a cd-based console so nobody threw their cases away. However, I also spend some of my free time designing game covers for games that weren't out in my region. In your case it makes even more sense to make your own boxes since it's pretty hard to find them, let alone ones in actual good shape.
>>
>>2912650
2bh I really don't think most games are worth more than 5 bucks.
>>
>>2912641
I'm 21 and my first console experience was with my friends N64 playing Brawl.
>>
I rebuilt my game collection about 2009. Within 2 years the prices were spiking so horribly that one of my friends gave up on trying to rebuild his.

If I rebuilt my collection today I'd spend at least 4x what I did back then. Most of the stuff I bought for less than $10. Very very few games were more than $20. Final Fight 3 was always expensive, so that was the real kicker.

But now, no way man.

We have a play n trade that sells games like OOT and mario kart 64 for $50 to $60 and people pay it. It's ludicrous.
>>
>>2912679
I dont even check my local craigslist anymore.

I only do about once every 3 days for arcade machines, but it's usually the same ones up.

If a guys asking ebay prices, I'm going on ebay. At least eBay as buyer protection, which you won't get on craigslist.
>>
>>2912641
>>2912650
I was born in 1986 so maybe I am underage compared to some of you guys. Nevertheless, I did have relatives with a NES before I started gaming/and therefore, it was the first console i played before I finally got a snes. Either way, the NES games used to be really cheap and I was able to build a decent collection early on. Also I flunked out of college a while back and started all over once I joined the army for muh benefits so there is that excuse too.
>>
>>2912687
I tried hunting craiglist for this stuff back in 2009 and aside from one guy who was liquidating part of an amazing collection of game hardware and accessories, everything else was crap.

I'm all for supporting local shops, though, but not if you are marking stuff up like crazy.

It sucks as beyond that play n trade, the next closes retro games anything I can go to that isn't a den of crazy christian recruitment (really weird) is about an hour away.

I wish I could have bought more back in 2009.
>>
>>2912663
they make repop boxes for tons of things too. got an oot box to replace one my kiddo got a hold of.
>>
>>2912701
I wish I never got rid of a lot of my stuff too.

I went through a phase where I literally said I can just emulate all this and hocked it or gave it away.

I managed to get it all back (and more) but it cost me a big chunk of my savings to do so. I don't regret it, because I can probably sell it back for basically what I paid for it since it was mostly done through auctions from 2012 to now.
>>
>after living expenses and savings not much money for /vr/
>have to choose between one complete boxed game or several loose carts

I mean that shit like boxes and manuals doesn't have any effect on the gameplay but damn if I'm going to get into something as autismal as collecting I should at least do it right, and I hate having just loose cartridges lying around.
>>
>>2912742
So get Universal Game cases.

You can get them for like 3.50 each from custom game cases dot com.

Thats way better then paying fucking like 50 bucks for a box and manual.

Who am I to talk though. I just paid like 20 bucks for a Front mission 4 and Drakengard 2 manual to complete them.
>>
>>2912742
see
>>2912720
you can order repop or customcases, manuals or get them printed at kinkos on gloss paper from scans and cut fold and staple them yourself. not the same as original but for display purposes will be fine. I dont have a lot to spend either so this is what I've been doing.
https://www.etsy.com/shop/DangerousGames
http://www.boxmygames.com/
https://www.retrogamecases.com/
http://www.uncletusk.com/

watch auctions and you can grab some deals and make or purchase the rest
>>
My general principle is to only buy games for systems that I've already had lots of games for since childhood. What I'm not going to do, however, is buy a console and then start buying games and building a library from scratch. For those sorts of situations, I'm just buying an everdrive or modchip.

Let's take my genesis, for example. Had it since I was a kid. Never sold any games. Have a sizable amount of vidya for it. I'll actually pick up a cart or two every once in the while for the system, since I already have a decent base to work off of. I'm just supplementing the collection of games I've always owned with a couple extra ones. Same goes with my N64. I've owned most of the major N64 games since I was a kid. So all I did was buy a few extra games that I didn't originally have, like banjo kazooie and zelda. There was no way I would have bought all those N64 games I already happened to have if I needed to buy them at today's prices.

Later on, I bought a SNES (or super famicom to be specific). I've never owned a SNES before and have no SNES games. There was no way I was going to go around buying all the big-name SNES games. It would be too wasteful. In this situation, I bought an everdrive and then a select few games that aren't compatible (ie, jap versions of yoshi's island and starfox).
>>
>>2912634
>Canadian
Ah, ok.

>What's rare besides Earthbound and Ogre Battle
Just on the SNES? The competition versions of Star Fox and Donkey Kong Country are valuable. For all consoles? You have lots of options. But if you literally only want games you used to own, you can disregard all that.
>>
>>2912765
good job shitting up things for future collectors with your counterfeit bullshit
>>
>>2912649
Well you would definitely expect to see more FFIII boxes than Earthbound boxes; even Earthbound boxes aren't as uncommon as people make them out to be, but they are more uncommon than a lot of other SNES boxes.

Dunno what the value of CT and SoM boxes are, I'd assume they're around FFIII level.
>>
>>2912768
>tfw want a PC-Engine so I can play Dragon Knight
>>
>>2912773
I wouldn't sell them as cib if I ever sold them douche, I'd be forthcoming that the boxes are repop and I made most the manuals at home. fuck you
>>
>>2912773
Yeah, I don't see why anyone would ever want a repro anything, and I get kind of frustrated at the people who do. There's nothing illegitimate about making a repro for your personal use, but some of those items will inevitably end up in circulation, either through an honest mistake or I'll intent.
>>
>>2912802
That's why I buy bare and make or buy the rest. I worry that some of the cib on fleabay are faked already. fite me
>>
>>2912829
There are fakes on eBay that are very easy to spot, they just look obviously different than the real thing (typically the seller will have the word "repro" buried at the end of the item description). I scrutinized the CiB Earthbound I bought as closely as possible, both the cart and the box (I assume no one would go to the trouble of faking the guidebook), and everything checked out, although I didn't open the cart to look inside.
>>
>>2912495
>What with paying $1000 for my not even good condition earthbound (I'm already planning on spending $1200 for a much better condition one next month),
Whoever you're buying games from is screwing you hard, Earthbound goes somewhere between $100 to $200 at the most.

Jesus, you could buy a big stack of Earthbound carts for $1200
Man, I could never justify spending that much when I could get it on VC or a flashcart for a fraction of that, I could buy a really nice Bulgarian AK for that kind of cash.

I don't think you'll be able to get that cash back either, few people will pay that much for one.

>>2912578
You're also getting screwed.

God, who the fuck is charging so much for EB? It's been expensive but not THAT expensive, the only way I could see it breaking $150 is if it came with the box and guide in good condition.
>>
>>2911820
>ITT: Bitching about being a poorfag
>Anyone else stop colleting NES games because their mom didn't adjust allowance for inflation?
>>
>>2912868
I paid $12 for a sealed copy of earthbound with the players guide.
>>
>>2912868
You understand that we're both talking about getting it with the box and guide, right?

The guy who spent $1000 clarified that was CAD not USD.

You couldn't find anyone knowledgeable selling Earthbound CiB for less than $600 right now, and over $800 is not uncommon.
>>
>>2912636
>I saw NES games being sold for 30 dollars used at a flea market
That's not really that bad.

Contra has remained at around 30USD for a long while, there's lots of them, but it's also a really liked game, so supply is pretty level with demand. It's still cheaper than it was new.

If you want a good game that's cheap, there's always Super Mario Bros. which you could probably find for 10USD or less, because there's so goddamn many of them.

Hell, if you have a 3DS or a WiiU the VC titles rarely go far beyond 5USD so that's a hell of a steal, I think Super Mario Bros. 3 went for like 3USD on the 3DS, pocket change to have such a great game, in your pocket.
It's a shame they don't sell SNES games for the 3DS, because I would be all over that.

But emulation is free, so there's that. Wouldn't want to emulate console games without some sort of gamepad though.
I mean, you can beat Super Metroid using your keyboard, I've done that, but platformers and shit are just superior with a gamepad.

>>2912641
I'm born 92 and grew up with a NES. We never had a SNES (thank god for emulators).
>>
>>2912675
are you dumb nigger brawl came out on the wii
inb4 i meant super smash bros you dumb nigger.
>>
File: 1426892999460.png (66KB, 775x821px) Image search: [Google]
1426892999460.png
66KB, 775x821px
>the bottom fell out on a lot of PS1 games
>was able to run out of a store with Parasite Eve, FF Tactics, and Vargrant Story for $50 while shit like Final Fantasy 3 on the SNES runs for $60 in the same location
>>
I'm gonna sell off a ton of my games soon. Huge ass gameboy collection.
>>
>>2912670
That's silly, games are worth what people are willing to pay

welcome to economics
>>
>>2912798
>>2912802
they're going to end up in circulation when your faggot ass dies and your mom sells all your shit at a garage sale
>>
>>2912919
>run out of a store
>pic of white guy
ur doing it wrong
>>
>>2912925
Post it in the /bst/ I'm sure people would be interested.
>>
>>2913048
>pic of a Wight guy

FTFY
>>
>>2912892
Jesus, really? I have never heard of anyone paying that much for Earthbound before, the numbers I see commonly quoted are in that $150 range, why does the box and guide command such a premium? I thought the guide came with every game.

I could see maybe the box giving you some more, as people rarely kept those, but the guide had clear practical value which people would be much more interested in keeping.

That's just so insane though, when did it start going for that much CiB?
>>
>>2912894

>If you want a good game that's cheap, there's always Super Mario Bros. which you could probably find for 10USD or less, because there's so goddamn many of them.

I used to work at a Game Crazy back before Hollywood Video imploded, back around 2003 when I started we had so many copies of SMB and SMB/Duck Hunt that they were priced at literally $1 and we still couldn't sell them.

Then the hipster revolution happened, and all of a sudden the NES was the "cool" console to own, so prices skyrocketed.

It's disgusting.
>>
I have a decent SNES collection and stopped buying around 2011.
I have a moderate NES collection and again stopped in 2011.
My N64 collection is tiny. Bought a few in 2013.

I got a gf in 2011 and she forbade me from buying any more games. But she did allow me to buy flashcarts.
Seeing the prices of games today, I thank her for that decision every time I get a new flashcart. I now have all three. SD2SNES was this last Christmas.
Hipsters and the AVGN have made it cool all over again. I would hate them for that, but my flashcarts make me immune to the bullshit prices for games.

Now hardware is a whole different story… can't get away with anything on that front. I don't ever see the hipster coolness of old vidya going away. It's permanently here to stay.
Nuclear apocalypse will be the only thing that destroys hipsters. But our vidya would also die with us.
>>
File: 20.jpg (20KB, 300x340px) Image search: [Google]
20.jpg
20KB, 300x340px
>>2913283
>I got a gf in 2011 and she forbade me from buying any more games.

I recommend a Retron5
>>
>>2913283
>tfw you're free to buy what you want
>these cucks justify not being able to buy things that make them happy because of a over 20lbs of pussy and ass
>>
>falling for the retro jew
>not just pirating everything with flashcarts and burned discs
>>
>>2913283
You better be incredibly broke financially, or have the worst prowess imaginable in money matters to have someone tell you how to use your funds. There is no feasible reason to have someone who can't at the least respect your passion, if not share it.
>>
>>2913283

>letting your gf control you

You're a real man ain'tcha.
>>
File: yeah.gif (226KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
yeah.gif
226KB, 200x200px
>>2913287

This. I'm sure that posters girlfriend will absolutely love it.
>>
File: retron5.jpg (17KB, 530x292px) Image search: [Google]
retron5.jpg
17KB, 530x292px
>>2913283
>I got a gf in 2011 and she forbade me from buying any more games. But she did allow me to buy flashcarts.

I've got this neat piece of hardware for your problem.
She'll enjoy it even more after you marry her, the black version is a fan favorite too.
>>
>>2913104
You thought you could get a complete Earthbound for $150? That hasn't been true for years. My friend paid $60 for just the cart six years ago, and the CiB price has always been significantly higher than the cart price.

You can check out pricecharting.com to see what people have been paying recently. Don't take their numbers as gospel though, they don't include every auction (there were 2 complete Earthbounds that went for over $800 in the last few days that don't appear on their Earthbound listing), and sometimes they just factor blatantly incorrect auctions into their price calculations, like people selling repros or the Japanese copy or something.

The guidebook is the least expensive part of the package, usually going for around $100, while the box is the most expensive part. You'd think more people would have kept the box, because it is a pretty nice looking (and big) box that's sturdier than your average SNES box, but a lot of people either lost them or threw them out, and the game wasn't a huge seller to begin with. It's also pretty rare to see the box for sale by itself (note that a complete Earthbound is not particularly rare though, you can always find 3 - 4 up on eBay at any given time), so sellers who are selling a complete set feel justified in marking up the price a bit because it's pretty much the only way to get a box.
>>
>>2913104
>why does the box and guide command such a premium?

Think of how much the cart alone is selling for, then add the fact that most owners threw everything away.
>>
>>2912563
>But it fucking does! I grew up with a NES and I love it, but for every good NES game there were 9 really banal and uninteresting ones, and one terrible game.

I agree, but that's how I've felt about every console that's ever come out. It's always mostly either middling or poor games with a few gems.
>>
>>2913547
retrons can't read flashcarts
>>
>>2913885
Maybe that's why my retro shop sells clone consoles. I heard the shop owner shilling them once and felt a chill down my spine. I hate his prices but sometimes he has good deals.
>>
>>2914054
They sell clone consoles because they get better margins and steady supply of them
>>
>>2914058
>better margins
This guy marks the fuck up out of games sml was 20$. A 5-8 dollar with 110% mark up. I can't imagine what he sells consoles for.
>>
>>2914090
SML? Did you mean SMW?
>>
>>2914092
No super mario land.
>>
>>2911820
I bought flashcarts because it was the cheapest option that still let me use original hardware.
>>
>>2911996

None of the CD systems will ever be collectible. Carts last and can't be copied by a pc.
>>
>>2914135
This is why I'm nervous about buying the pricier CD games. Not only are disc-based consoles more likely to fail, but a lot of those CDs may not work in 20-30 years due to disc rot. When I die, I want to be able to pass my collection onto my kids and have everything be in good working order.
>>
>>2913123
Honestly, if people are enjoying an old classic like that for what it is, I think that's good, even if they're douches.
How much did the price inflate? I wouldn't price SMB or SMB/DH above 10USD personally.

>>2913283
>I got a gf in 2011 and she forbade me from buying any more games.
She hates games more than she loves you.

I mean, I'm not arguing that flashcarts aren't a better investment if all you wanna do is play games, but;
>obligatory whip noises

>>2913497
This, anon's GF doesn't really respect him as an equal, or even an adult. Shit GF.

>>2912375
It has a larger library and better ratio of good/shit than the 32X, plus, no copy protection.
>>
Try Atari stuff instead. The prices have really collapsed on 2600 stuff, and you can get shrink wrapped titles new for peanuts. None of the price bubble bullshit on 2600/5200/7800 games, and it's collecting like it should be.

The lack of hype for 2nd gen Atari is great, in fact the more trash talk it gets the better for collecting.
>>
>>2912118
>If RHEA doesn't get higher availability I will actually accept the argument of people bitching about Saturn prices as there are no good options for it

Mod chips, pseudo saturn, swap trick.
>>
>>2912641

>everyone has to go to university as soon as they finish high school
>>
File: 197027.jpg (30KB, 225x242px) Image search: [Google]
197027.jpg
30KB, 225x242px
>>2913541
>>2913287
>He's mated with a girl, quick let's laugh at him!
>>
File: Hamilton-Ontario.gif (131KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
Hamilton-Ontario.gif
131KB, 500x500px
>>2911972
Hamilton? Share your stories about Joey from Kijiji and his insane rambling ads that would try to justify his prices by saying he's educating buyers and how he will ignore lowballers.
>>
>>2914135
The single most retarded post I've read today.
>>
>>2914713
You've dealt with him too? I've never bought anything from him, and I never will, but I've exchanged e-mails with him before. Well, where do I even begin. First, I should state that, he's apparently "cheaper than the stores", though he charges $50 for a Luigi's Mansion with no manual and I've picked it up for $30 (Complete) at a store. Or how he sells Smash Melee for $80 and I picked one up for $64 (again, Complete) total from JC Retail. But supposedly he's cheaper. Or how he claims that "the stores don't even have these games". Yes, because no store in the city is going to have fucking Spongebob on Gamecube. Or how they apparently won't have any copies of Golf on NES. The best is he calls himself a "collector" yet he feels the need to have 12 fucking copies of Wind Waker. Or he claims Gamecube controllers for Wii U are very rare and hard to find, yet any Walmart, Best Buy or EB Games in the city will have tons of them available. And he has a goddamn mountain of them sitting in his shithole of a house. What a fucking moron.

I can't claim that this is true, but I've heard rumors from people he will buy popular games FROM VIDEO GAME STORES and sell them from his crackden. If it's true that's fucking disgusting. Yes, the stores don't have Smash cause you bought all them fucker. Sounds like a pretty scumfuck move.

To anyone who's in the Hamilton area and is reading this: no matter what you do, don't deal with him. Don't buy anything from him. Even if it's something you truly want, I'm very positive you can find it somewhere else for a better price. He's not a collector. He's not even a gamer. He's a scalper, a hoarder. And a dirty, cheating sleazeball at that. Don't give that fuckwad your money. Make sure that prick loses money. Fuck him. Joey, if you're reading this, fuck you piece of shit.

whew rant over!
You got anything fellow Hamiltonian?
>>
>>2911948
>luckily SEGA shit isn't really affected

You must not have seen Saturn or Dreamcast games.
>>
>>2914773
Dreamcast is just as easy to modchip as a fucking PS1.

I would think that probably some absurdly high number of DC are chipped already, maybe even as high as 50%.
>>
>>2914787
You don't need to modchip Dreamcast at all unless you want to play JP games on an American console.

>>2914773
Dreamcast games are dirt cheap except for Capcom games. Literally the cheapest console to collect for unless you're into fighting games.
>>
>>2914764
I already knew to avoid him but he had something I thought I could swing a deal for. He flip flopped back and forth a few times for like a week until I just got fed up and told him to cut the crap to which he replied "you call it like it is, I respect that. we've got a deal". Never again, Anons.
>>
>>2914819
BTW, hot tip that New2You is moving from Upper Wentworth to Main Street East near Wellington I believe. They often have some decent stuff but that may have been due to their being the only big pawn shop on the escarpment. So get in their quick before all their stock is replaced with what people who drink at Jax will bring in (mismatched floral flatware, VCRs and loose games stolen from the library)
>>
>>2914819
Yes!I recall that now. That's also what he does; mind tricks and games, he always beats around the bush and never seems to want to get to the purchase. He's a fucking crackhead man I'm telling you. I don't mean to get so riled up, but god, he just infuriates me. And I know I'm not the only one. Just everything he does and everything he says is such utter bull shit. I feel like collectors should team up and take him down, as crazy as that may sound.

>>2914838
New2You's new location already opened like last week. I went there on the weekend; there's very little parking and the store itself is kind of dumpy. But who knows, maybe they'll fix it up a bit.
>>
>>2914819
Also if you don't mind me asking what was it he had that you were interested in?
>>
>>2914151
Disc rot doesn't happen if you keep the games in their cases. Seriously, it's almost a myth.
>>
>>2914849
It was Chronotrigger for SNES. He wanted $120 for a pretty damaged copy. He was nice enough in person but I think he's pretty much done now anyway isn't he? There was a time that Hamilton downtown was a goldmine for retro stuff people brought into pawnshops, Cheapies, Letterbox etc in exchange for booze money and I exploited the shit outta that ..but the supply is really running dry because every joker with a smart phone knows exactly what things are worth so of what little left there is, there are no deals to be had.
>>
>>2914882
I see. I think I remember that copy. Kind of steep though. I wouldn't know about him in person, though. Like I said I don't plan to ever do business with him. As far as I know, he still posts his ads about once a week, so he's still going. And yes, Hamilton's become a desert for retro games. Deals are extremely difficult to be had.
>>
>>2911979
Ps1 ps2 games are the proset of vidya.
Old fags here will remember proset
>>
>>2914897
Yeah.. hey wait were you that guy who nabbed Whomp Em off that guy in Ancaster a week or two ago? I was at work when it got posted and it being not as reliable a source these days I'm not as vigilant about checking kijiji so by the next morning it was already gone. No semi-racist NES platforming for me.
>>
>>2914912
No, that wasn't me 100% honest. I remember that ad though, I did e-mail the seller but I never heard back. Seemed like a good price. Game looks cool too, like a Mega Man type.
>>
>>2913547
he said his girlfriend not his wife
>>
>>2914916
Yeah it's good. I always feel compelled to look at every Jaleco game I see in the wild (because their games never specify the title on the top of the label) hoping it'll be that. But as you said, it's a desert these days. Maybe we should get into collecting beanie babies instead.
>>
>>2914931
Haha yes I know what you mean. Someone at Jaleco thought it was a smart idea to put the company name on the labels, not the title of the game. I instinctively check them, just in case something slipped through the cracks. I've wound down a bit with collecting, I'm spending less plus stuff I still want is much more rare/expensive stuff like Tomba, Metal Storm, etc.
>>
>>2914938
Lucky you, I decided in 2013 to start collecting for the Neo Geo. Money? Pff, I'll just make a shelter out of carts.
>>
>>2914998
Haha, I will admit Metal Slug and Magician Lord look amazing, but goddamn Neo Geo is so expensive. Like, Neo Geo is pretty much the most hardcore gaming stuff to collect. I guess Metal Slug Anthology can tide me over for then.
>>
>>2915007
Yeah I can't justify those prices. The only problem is the PS2 of MS:Anthology has slowdown and the Wii version has motion controls jury-rigged onto it. But for the thousands in savings it's worth dealing with one or the other.
>>
>>2915018
I have the Wii version, it actually supports the Gamecube controller. For whatever reason it doesn't say so on the box. That's how I play it.
>>
>>2915007
Magician Lord kind of sucks bro.

it's ludicrously difficult and no more fun then anything else, plus its only single player. Half the fun of MVS or AES is playing with a buddy.
>>
>>2915048
Magician Lord is awesome and as fun as any Castlevania and it has alternating 2 player
>>
>>2915048
I have heard mixed things on it, it just kind of reminds me of Mystic Defender on Genesis.
>>
>>2914356
>The prices have really collapsed on 2600 stuff,
I don't think they were ever particularly bloated given how 2nd gen fundamentally doesn't appeal to a person the same way as any gen since.

Single screen games with no objective or progression beyond building a high score has a really hard time appealing to later audiences when the graphics and sound was so primitive.
Tetris, Pac-Man, Space Invaders, they were fundamentally good and stand the test of time to this day, but unless you grew up playing stuff like Yar's Revenge or Galaga, good titles, but if you didn't grow up playing that gen of games, you'd probably not be too likely to seek it out.

So you have a large supply (because shit there was a lot of Atari games made), and a more limited demand, because kids and hipsters aren't exactly rushing out to pick up 2600 games, these aren't games that are easy for them to relate to.

There's just like, this divide, which is I think why the 2600 market never exploded in pricing, short of genuinely rare collector's pieces like Air Raid.
>>
>>2915059
I wanna get a 2600 with some games. They're cheap, easy to find and they do look like fun. I'm not actively searching for one but if I ever find a 2600 with 10 games for like $30 I'd go for it.
>>
>>2914917
Who cares what the pussy whipped said
>>
>>2915059
My thing was my parents wouldn't buy me consoles so I got a lot of the off systems that were being liquidated when I was a kid (TG-16, SEGA CD, DC etc) so I sort of accidentally found myself with a rare & valuable game collection. I didn't get around to Nintendo stuff until a bit later and it was still pretty cheap 10 years ago but it was just impossible to get every good game for every system before prices started to spike.
>>
>>2914560
People aren't mocking him for having a girl, they're mocking him for being a submissive bitch under her heel and pointing out that his girl probably doesn't love or respect him very well.

>>2914135
>what are rom dumps

>>2914869
Wasn't it largely traced to one large batch of discs with faulty manufacturing sometime in the 90s?

>>2915081
>My thing was my parents wouldn't buy me consoles
We had something similar for a lot of my earlier youth, we had an NES, but no SNES, eventually we got an N64, but we only had like maybe 3 or 4 games. I never got to experience Zelda or Perfect Dark.
>>
>>2912176
>>2912250
I kept everything as well, although I used to leave my carts out in the open so they would be easily accessible. All the boxes were on a shelf, and I put the instruction booklets in a drawer. Unfortunately most of the booklets got lost, as well as the cardboard inserts.

Good thing I still have the boxes to display on the shelf, but I have no idea why I decided to keep everything separate, thus losing a lot of the stuff that was inside.
>>
>>2911848
Saying NES has garbage, then saying you collect PS1. The only system with more shovel ware than PS1 is Wii.
>>
>>2911820
Yep. I got a flash cart and put every NES ROM on it. It's way better than spending a shitload of money on one game.
>>
>>2911820
Buying any retro games in 2016 is fucking pointless. The prices are fucking retarded because being a "nerd" is in right now. Fuck normies and fuck ebay kikes.
>>
File: beavis-and-butthead1.jpg (99KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
beavis-and-butthead1.jpg
99KB, 640x480px
>>2913287
>he's allowed to buy flashcarts
>>
>>2911961
>this is now an acceptable price
>>
>>2917046
You're absolutely free to buy Lester the Unlikely and Barbie Super Model if you want cheap games.

Unfortunately no one wants the shit. They want the good games.
>>
>>2917063
Yeah I know but damn....this is sad
>>
File: FLAVOR EXPLOSION.jpg (64KB, 433x594px) Image search: [Google]
FLAVOR EXPLOSION.jpg
64KB, 433x594px
>mfw normies will NEVER EVER inflate the prices of Japanese Saturn games
>>
>>2914806
>You don't need to modchip Dreamcast at all unless you want to play JP games on an American console.

Even then you can burn a region changer disc on your non-modded DC and then play everything if I'm not mistaken
>>
>>2917063
Yeah but the people who buy them at jacked up prices are the worst kind of people. I used to know a fat fucker who collected shoes and keyboards who recently got into game collecting, he would buy "rare" games at outrageous prices just to own them, never playing them.
>>
>>2917076
The Japanese collectors will do it themselves. I've already noticed prices explode in the niche category of games that I buy from Yahoo. Like, items that I bought for about 3,000JPY in early 2014 would now readily sell for 15-20,000+JPY. Don't hesitate to get what you want - it only gets worse.

That being said, I think any collecting fad is bound to die down, but it could take years and when it does prices will likely still be higher.
>>
>>2917076
Because it's a pretty weeb console. no bully plz
>>
>>2917076

Tell that to Sonic Jam
>>
>>2911865
The NES library has a ton of hidden gems, I'm still finding new ones to this day (Holy Diver on Famicom).
>>
>>2911898
Nothing sounds good on emulation.

Give it a rest.
>>
>>2912092
What matters is the games, I sold my collection as a lot on eBay and now I own flashcarts and the hardware.

Nothing better than grabbing those scalpers' faces, putting them on my butt and farting.
>>
File: 1452534563577.jpg (885KB, 1600x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1452534563577.jpg
885KB, 1600x1080px
>>2917085
>Radiant Silvergun is 15000Â¥-25000Â¥

Fucking end me
>>
>>2917085
I thought game collecting wasn't as big a thing in Japan?

Lots of Japanese games are cheaper than the English versions anyway. Maybe it's just because more copies were printed.
>>
>>2917193
It's actually gone down since the XBLA rerelease. 5-10 years ago it went for 300-400 bucks easily.
>>
>>2917084
The people who just buy games- more so the rare games- just with the intent of having them are usually the ones who get out of collecting first. They don't primarily play games, wake up one day and decide they want all the rarest SNES games. They'll drop tons of money in a small period of time, then most likely sell off their stuff when they either lose interest, or go, "Holy fuck, I've spent how much on this crap?!"
>>
>>2911820
>Buying online
you are doing it wrong
>>
>>2914151
You'd have to store your discs in a fucking sewer for them to get disc rot. People that still believe in that shit are stupid as fuck.
>>
>>2917325
Quit perpetuating the "disc rot isn't real" bullshit. Its very real. What people don't realize is that disc rot doesn't happen because of how a game is stored or treated. It's entirely due to manufacturing error, so unfortunately there is no way to prevent it or identify which discs are going to have rot eventually.
>>
>>2917224

Dunno, but I know for the game things I collect the market exploded some time last year. I don't know much about game collecting in Japan one way or the other, to be honest. I will say, though, that if more westerners are importing games, then chances are more people and companies are rising to meet that demand, which would result in fewer games available in Japan. I won't speculate further since I don't really know, but I do know that one game I'm eyeing ends in about a day and a half or so and is already up to if not beyond what it would have sold for 2 years ago (and will surely go higher).

The problem with internet buying is that it only takes one or two people to throw everything into turmoil. One new guy who lacks a sense of historical prices shows up wins a huge portion of auctions in a category due to an apparent abundance of money, other people get antsy and start bidding more, and before you know it the average selling price has basically doubled. I guess some would be happy that their "investments" tripled to quintupled in value over 2 years, but fuck that shit, this isn't my retirement. I just want to keep buying my damn games without feeling sick about the prices.
>>
>>2917309
>buying offline
It's not 2009 any more, grampa. Almost everyone you'll encounter in person now has smart phones and quick access to ebay. Almost everyone sells at ebay prices, if not higher. The only way viable way to get a decent deal is to do garage sales, and with those, you're spending tons of time driving around and rummaging through shit hoping to have a slim chance of finding video games, and of that slim chance, an even slimmer chance of finding the things you specifically want. It's not worth the time expenditure whatsoever.
>>
>>2917475
Not the anon you replied to but it helps to be a regular at an independent shop that sells retro, where they realize you know the market and use the same resources they do. But of course that all depends on where you live.
>>
Yeah. I rarely pick up any Nintendo games anymore since everyone and their mother wants to charge a arm and a leg for a game that isn't even rare but they saw it on Ebay so they think they can slang it at that price.
>>
>>2917728
>be a regular
To be a regular you gotta buy.
If you're a "regular" who never buys anything they will actually hate you

>post stuff on ebay for a reasonable price
>going rate is 40 usd
>ask for 40 cad
>3 different offers from obvious resellers for less than 50% of my asking price

Fuck everything. I should just burn my doubles.
>>
Resellers are cancer.

Never tell anyone that enjoys collecting and playing retro vidya that you do this.
>>
>>2917743
I am amused by the idea of resellers who buy on ebay and then try to resell on ebay for a profit. It is like they have no fucking idea what they are doing.

I wonder if the old videogame selling business attracts a massively disproportionate number of clueless "entrepreneurs" relative to almost any other business venture, followed only by the restaurant business.
>>
>>2917743
Why would you be a regular at a store you never buy anything from? If you know what things go for and you know a store is shit for prices I don't see why you would consider going back in there repeatedly. Why would any independent store be cool with someone coming in all the time and never buying anything?
>>
>>2917763
Not him, but if they have relatively fluid stock, you might go on he off-chance that they have something interesting at a reasonable price. It can also be fun just to browse.
>>
>>2917763
Regulars who don't buy often come in two flavours:

1) That guy who thinks he's friends with all the workers there, because they're at fucking work and he thinks they enjoy his social graces and they can't tell him to fuck off without him throwing a massive temper tantrum. The guy everyone on staff thinks "Jesus Christ, him again."

2) That guy is who is super selective because he owns almost everything already, doesn't bother anyone and actually IS friends with the staff because he sometimes helps other customers out, is knowledgeable, and isn't a colossal faggot. That guy everyone on staff thinks "I wonder if so-and-so will stop by today?"
>>
>>2911948
>He doesn't buy all his retro games from Japan
I got all three SMT games on SNES for about 3 bucks each, then I bought SMRPG and Kirby Super Star for 5 bucks each.
>>
>>2911820
bitching about NWC being $10k+ is pretty fucking ignorant... or just troll bait

it's probably the rarest NES cart outside of Stadium Events
>>
>>2911993
Because people who used Sega as kids weren't idiots, and therefore didn't turn into doss cunt adults who spend exorbitant amounts on a self fulfilling market.
>>
>>2917880
Outside of certain prototypes, at least.
>>
>>2917893
>[citation needed]
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Shining-Force-II-Sega-Genesis-1994-complete-CIB-/172032869919?hash=item280df5461f:g:vj8AAOSwFnFV9jAs
>>
File: 158.gif (26KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
158.gif
26KB, 500x375px
I wanted to pick up the JoJo PS1 game since the PS3 version was no longer available by the time I was interested in it. First I see the price at around $60 on Amazon. Because I'm a fucking retard I assumed the price would lower over time.
I was wrong. A used copy is $119.97, and new copies are $199.97.

On Ebay import copies are cheap (and don't have the US version's censorship), but Playstation 1 is region locked.

Fuck it, I'll just use Final Burn Alpha and play the CPS-3 version.
>>
File: 1452781207113.gif (142KB, 274x199px) Image search: [Google]
1452781207113.gif
142KB, 274x199px
>go to buy an n64 on jewbay
>the word RARE is thrown around more than singles at a strip club

For fucks sake, there were millions of n64s made. Quit labeling your shit as rare. Fuck I hate "gamer" culture. Fucking faggots.

At least most fun n64 games are still pretty cheap there, though it's only a matter of time until they shoot up in price like the snes.

Never understood why Paper Mario, Mario Kart, the Mario party games, Conkers, and OB64 command such high prices though.
>>
>>2917912
That's not what an exorbitant price looks like.

http://ebay.com/itm/Earthbound-Super-Nintendo-Game-Complete-In-Original-Box-/321973791976?nav=SEARCH
>>
>>2918092
Is earthbound actually "rare" or have retarded buyers and sellers managed to keep the price that high?
>>
>>2918097
It's not rare at all. The cart alone is very easy to find.

Even the box and guide are pretty easy to find. There are always like 3-4 listings for complete Earthbounds at any given time on eBay. Maybe the supply is so high right now because people want to cashin on the bubble and the supply will go down once more of them are owned by genuine collectors, I dunno.

People often say Earthbound is rare because it "didn't sell well", but apparently it still sold something like 100k? That's way more copies than even moderately uncommon games like Panzer Dragoon Saga, which has something like 20-30k copies. It would be nice if someone had a source on Earthbound's sales.
>>
>>2918106
There have been people buying up multiple copies of Earthbound over 10 years ago (when they were 60 dollars). It's like they knew.
>>
File: gd.png (550KB, 753x1238px) Image search: [Google]
gd.png
550KB, 753x1238px
Wasn't SSB like on average $20 a few years back or am I just full of shit?

Fucking smashfaggots.
>>
>>2918115
More like 30
>>
File: 1450735713700.jpg (77KB, 500x650px) Image search: [Google]
1450735713700.jpg
77KB, 500x650px
Do you think the inflation will ever end?

How would it even happen?
>>
>>2918124
Warning: I'm not an economist.

The price of an item, including used games, is a function of supply and demand. The supply of retro games is finite and ever-shrinking, since copies naturally get lost or damaged over time. The finite supply will drive prices up, with really no end in sight, until 200 years from now when there's only one priceless working copy of SSB left in existence. Or something like that, you get the point.

The only way prices could come down is if demand took a nosedive. People on /vr/ think we're in a retro hipster bubble, but I don't think that's true. People just really like video games, and more and more people will naturally become interested in collecting over time. We're not going to see a mass hipster exodus where suddenly no one cares about collecting games anymore.

tl;dr I wouldn't expect prices to come down significantly anytime soon.
>>
>>2918134
>The price of an item, including used games, is a function of supply and demand. The supply of retro games is finite and ever-shrinking, since copies naturally get lost or damaged over time.

You're really overstating it. There is a finite supply of retro games and hardware being circulated, but these copies should nonetheless number in the millions. There is no current shortage of retro games, and there won't be unless millions more people suddenly become interested in owning physical consoles. As it stands, retro gaming is a very niche community, not even a sizable number of people. There are likely thousands more hardware units and games circulating out there than can be paired up with the small number of retro collectors who want them.

Let me point out that price inflation (in this case) is often arbitrary. One reseller may randomly nudge the price of their games believing that a specific console is more popular than it actually is, or just because they want to squeeze a few extra bucks out of their buyers. Other resellers see these increases and assume they game is in greater demand, so they match their prices to follow suite. Gradually, prices start trending higher.

This has nothing to do with supply and demand. There's no centralized warehouse where all these items are contained and can be accounted for, so no one can reasonably conjecture on the supply of retro games and hardware available. Once again, price trends are mostly arbitrary whims based on a lot of assumptions and blindly following the trendsetters who initiated them.
>>
>>2918134
That and the gen x/y rebuying thier childhood is the least wealthy since pre wwII. Video games hit that great nostalgic escape at a great price point. Cant buy a house, car, or pay back student loans? Guess ill buy smw dor $35 and pretend everything is ok. There is a small demand from younger gamers wanting to know what they missed but cheap nostalgia in the face of no future or identity is king
>>
>>2918260
A great quote about nostalgia, though I can't remember where it's from:

Nostalgia is the crutch to living in the moment.
>>
>>2917306
Then those same ones are the fuckers who try and sell their shit on ebay for even MORE ridiculous prices because they're trying to recoup their losses.
>>
>>2918326
Yep, and that's why it's stupid to go drops tons of money without even thinking- seriously, the money you make from selling games, especially ebay, is peanuts. As compared to just investing in a more sensable investment, or better yet, just getting a normal fucking job.
>>
>>2918115
Super Smash Bros. is responsible for so much of this retro game hipster bullshit. It's made the current generation aware of older games, and celebrates them. Copies of Earthbound wouldn't be worth shit if Smash Bros. had never existed.

>>2918106
>It's not rare at all. The cart alone is very easy to find.
It's funny, because games that should easily be more "common" like Mega Man X, Kirby Super Star, or Super Metroid are fucking nowhere to be found. I've hit up every retro game store and flea market in my area. NONE of them have copies of those games because they're priced comparatively reasonably and copies move quickly. Pretty much EVERY retro game store I see has a copy of Earthbound with a $200+ price tag on it that nobody wants to touch. Makes me wonder when the price will start to slip.
>>
>>2918330
This. I sell games after I'm done with them but I don't do it for a living, I have a real job. Selling just helps me to clear out stuff I no longer need or want. I do make profit usually, but that's because I'm a cheapskate who buys low all the time anyway.
>>
>>2918234
>You're really overstating it.
He is actually right in his prediction but for the wrong reasons. Prices won't go down anytime soon, not because the games are rotting apart, but because there will be fewer and fewer in circulation overall.
In a finite supply you can only achieve constant circulation if the games bought keep being sold. This is not 100% true (not even close) because the great majority of games are still in the hands of people who bought them when they came out. Now from all those people, you have to weed out all those who are not thinking about selling them for whatever reason it may be and focus on the games that are being sold. From those, you have 3 types of buyers; people who will sell it again (resellers), people who won't sell it again (collectors) and people who might eventually sell it again (those who buy to play and get rid of it later). From this it's obvious that the games in circulation will shrink in size, unless there are more owners selling their shit than there are collectors picking them up. Just think that every copy of a game sold on ebay has a 66% chance of not going to the market again in the foreseeable future. And it doesn't matter who many games actually exist, because everyone knows they're not being made anymore and that adds rarity value to it because you don't have access to all the available games.

>Let me point out that price inflation (in this case) is often arbitrary
I completely agree. That's the most worrying part - retro games are peaking in price but they won't simply go down just like that, besides the few who are just really overpriced and will go down slightly when interest starts to fade.
Also, I think retro game nostalgia won't be a massive thing from PS3/360 generation onwards. The internet became widespread and so did digital content and "temporary ownership" of things. People didn't care about physical because everything came digitally, so there won't be much nostalgia for disc/manuals stuff.
>>
>>2918339
It's weird, so many people have stories about finding Earthbound in retro stores. One guy said that a store near him had two CiB copies. I've never seen an Earthbound cart in my life besides the one I bought on eBay, and every retro store I've been to in the past month has had a copy of Super Metroid. If the internet didn't exist, then I probably would call Earthbound rare, but in today's world, nothing that's a click away can be called rare...

$200 is a tad pricey for just the cart (saw one auction the other day that started at $10 and ended at $160), plus Earthbound doesn't have the same name recognition as Mario/Zelda/Metroid, so people are less likely to buy it on impulse or because of nostalgia.
>>
>>2918349
>66% chance of not going to the market again

Yep, this is accurate. Games will, slowly, be bought up by collectors who won't resell them.

I was happy to recently take a Earthbound cart/box/guide set permanently off the market. It'll have a good home and it won't get flipped by a dirty reseller.

>there won't be much nostalgia for discs/manuals stuff

I think almost all games in the West have stopped coming with manuals. I might have gotten a manual with PDF 2nd on the Vita, I can't remember right now.
>>
>>2914560
>Letting people control the way you live your life.
Unless you are a kid, you shouldn't do that
>>
>>2918370
I have seen more copies of Earthbound in person over the last few years than I have Super Mario World. Literally every retro game store I know has a copy of Earthbound, whereas I've never seen Super Metroid. Without fail, every SNES display has Earthbound sitting at the top, on some sort of pedestal, bearing an outlandish price tag. It's as though stores just want to keep them around for show. The problem is that Earthbound HAS attained a sort of name recognition from Smash Bros., and hipster scum is well aware of its status as a collectible, so it is rather sought after.

How much were copies of Metroid going for in your retro stores? Prices are a little high on ebay.
>>
>>2918408
dunno never seen one except a cib metroid 2. which i bought for 80$, i felt dirty after
>>
>>2918408
I saw one cart for $70 and one with box and manual for $120.

There are some carts on eBay right now going for close to $50, which is a perfectly fair price.
>>
>>2918408
I remember the massive ad blitz for eb back in the day. And literally seeing stacks of it at bb for like 5 bucks. It's a very common game really.
>>
What it comes down to is how many people who joined during the recent boom are real, passionate collectors versus those who are just chasing nostalgia, those trying to make a quick buck, or those just following some sort of fad. If there is a greater proportion of the last three groups, then prices will start to decline once they lose interest. I've seen at least one ebay user who used to bid extremely high on a large portion of a certain gaming category on ebay, to the point that he seemed to win a large portion of all of those listings. Then, after some months, he apparently vanished. Maybe a bid here or there, but ive recently won an item in the category with only one other bidder (who as far as I can tell wasn't him).

Flash in the pan collectors who fly into something wallets open are probably of the fickle sort who lose interest and move onto the next hot thing. They're the New Years Resolution workout fanatics of the game buying world.
>>
>>2917782
Only worth it if you can read moon runes weeb.
>>
>>2918421
>$50, which is a perfectly fair price.
Ehhh. In theory, it is. I mean, the game is one of the best ever made, but I just feel dirty paying basically MSRP for a 20 year old game, second hand, with no manual or box or anything. I'd be more comfortable in the $30 range. I'm in no real hurry to own it, I've played it to hell and back, I just never owned a copy for myself.

There were a lot of games I never owned, I was big into borrowing and renting back then, since most of my friends were only children whose parents spoiled them with games. Meanwhile, I was one of 3 kids, the only one interested in video games. My parents didn't spend crazy amounts of money on it, i was lucky to be able to get one game for Christmas and one for my birthday every year. I look back and I'm still amazed I was able to get a Sega Genesis AND a Super Nintendo.

>>2918446
Whenever I'm video game hunting, the people I see in stores/at flea markets, it seems to be mostly people my age (late 20s, early 30s) who sound like they know very little about video games, other than the fact that they had a SNES when they were younger and thought Super Mario World was just the greatest thing. The rest of the people I see are hipsters with thick glasses and flannel shirts who weren't old enough to own an SNES in the first place. I rarely come across the genuine, passionate collector. In fact, most of the time I'm more knowledgeable of retro games than the people who work at these stores, and that's not me bragging. These employees just don't know much at all.
>>
>>2918234
>This has nothing to do with supply and demand.

Spoken like someone who has no idea how supply and demand work. The higher prices go, the more people are willing to sell their items. In some cases prices go so high that it's worth the effort to repro things. None of this shit is ever permanently out of circulation, especially now that these things are collector's items. Sure, the occasional (this or that) gets broken beyond repair, but collected pieces are actually cared for and their owners are aware they hold value. We're still in the time frame that people will find boxes of this shit in their storage that they didn't know was worth anything.
>>
>>2918467
>In fact, most of the time I'm more knowledgeable of retro games than the people who work at these stores, and that's not me bragging. These employees just don't know much at all.

That's why they're teenagers making minimum wage. Not to mention the hobby is so expansive expecting encyclopedic knowledge on whatever you consider a retro litmus test is just silly.
>>
Living in the UK is suffering. I used to buy retro games every week or so. I've all but given up on collecting now.
>>
>>2911948
Yeah, shit is ridiculous. I imported a super famicom from glorious nippon. Bought a couple dirt-cheap games from there too and an everdrive for everything else. I'm not going down that rabbit hole.

Before then I only ever bought games for the genesis online. I had no idea SNES shit was so retardedly expensive in the west. Literally everything decent is expensive as fuck, just because it has a well-known nintendo character.
>>
>>2918446
My spending habits are following a similar trajectory, but I wouldn't call myself a "flash in the pan" collector. There's a small number of high-value games I want, and I'm in the process of buying those. Once I have them, that'll pretty much be it for big purchases; there's simply not much else I want right now. I'll continue to make small purchases, because I do like the idea of building up a large collection, but it's not something I'm in a rush to finish or spend a lot of money on.
>>
>>2918506
Well, we'll see, I guess. I don't know you obviously and maybe you will continue to buy stuff, but if you started collecting games within the past 2 years or so and are spending big bucks on big name games, it sounds like you could potentially be someone who burns out in a year.
>>
>>2918768
Depends on your definition of "burnout"... there's a finite number of big titles I'm going to buy and then I won't buy anymore, so if that's burnout, then yes, I'll be done soon. I'm going to keep making small $20-$30 purchases for a long time though, since I've been a gamer all my life and I tend to like older games better.
>>
>>2918339
>Super Smash Bros. is responsible for so much of this retro game hipster bullshit. It's made the current generation aware of older games, and celebrates them.
I don't think that's bad though, I like that those games are enjoyed, I'd wager that though most people overrate Earthbound as a game, the fact that they seek it out and enjoy it at any rate is good to me.

If you want to play it but not spend a lot of money, there are lots of alternatives.
>>
>>2914764
Move to based Toronto.
>>
The only expensive games are meme games. Hell, Earthbound is dropping like a rock because the craze is settling down.
>>
>>2920242
Earthbound is definitely not dropping like a rock. Snes games have always followed a pattern... They get cheaper in the summer and mud year but spike in price at Christmas. By a lot. And they will never go back down to their lowest point. Except some anomalies like ff3. Probably with the advent of it being so easily available and downloadable on mobile and psn.
Anyways, point being, Snes stuff is just going to keep getting higher and higher. Chrono trigger and Mario rpg boxed is going for $300usd now, wouldn't surprise me if it approaches the $1k or earthbound level in a few years. Super metroid is sitting at $150 or so but I promise you that's one that will be shooting up soon as well. Tons of shit is just going to keep going up in price as mire and more people get into retro gaming. Even the old Snes sports games are pretty good, some of them. And are sought after
>>
File: super metroid.png (333KB, 786x762px) Image search: [Google]
super metroid.png
333KB, 786x762px
>>2920269
>Super metroid is sitting at $150
eh?
>>
>>2920269
I think ever loose SNES game will sell for over $200 within 5 years! BUY NOW! BUY MANY COPIES!
>>
>>2920272

I think he meant boxed
>>
>>2911820
im selling all my boxed consoles and games today... i came here to feel better about it, and now im having second thoughts, the buyer is coming here today, im listing my stuff for 1,700 with a bunch of games thrown in, i listed on craigslist but everyone is poor and lowballing me, i wanna avoid ebay to not have to pay shipped
>>
>>2920269
I never understood the obsession with having boxed cartridge games. I mean sure, it makes sense for stuff like Genesis that came with plastic clamshell cases that were meant to be kept, but with regular cardboard packaging? That stuff's only purpose was to house the cart on store shelves and be ripped open on christmas morning.

Different strokes and all that, but I just don't get it.
>>
>>2920269
you're an idiot, the market fluctuates like anything else. trend hoppers and virtual console availability effects everything.

http://videogames.pricecharting.com/game/super-nintendo/earthbound
>>
File: 1443906685454.jpg (24KB, 468x468px) Image search: [Google]
1443906685454.jpg
24KB, 468x468px
I don't mind the retro boom if it means I can grab a common ass game like Mario World for $2 at goodwill then flip it for $50 to hipster retards.
>>
>>2920948
Good luck with that. You'd have to be in a small hick town for a goodwill not to recognize a snes game, ebay search it, and put it up on their site if it's worth more than $10.
>>
>>2920849
U made a mistake man. I gave away all the consoles/games I didn't want and kept all the ones that meant something to me when my parents sold the house I grew up in. Had to downsize, but I've learned over the years that selling consoles will always always lead to me buying them back later at a higher price...
>>
>>2920272
>>2920283
>>2920915
BOXED you ingrates.
>>
> shi
>>
>>2920242
>The only expensive games are meme games

Is Stadium Events a meme game? Is Air Raid a meme game?

The most expensive games are NES and Atari 2600 games that have less than 100 copies in existence because middle aged rich guys need those games to have as complete a set as possible for their chosen console.
>>
>>2912138
>only go for about $40-$50 each
>only
>>
>>2921093
>A price below the original MSRP is too high

What price would satisfy you? And why should that be the price of the game? If other people are willing to pay $50 for this high-demand, finite-supply game, then what's wrong with that?
>>
>>2920915
Earthbound releasing on the VC didn't drop the price of the game. It's just kept rising.

I do think Earthbound is overpriced right now, because people mistakenly believe it's rare when it's really not. Prices may fall a little bit, but it will always be an expensive game because of the dedicated fanbase and the hype surrounding it.
>>
>>2920238
I don't think Toronto's gonna be much better. Hell, Toronto might be even worse, it's Kijiji listing is bat shit crazy so that gives me an idea of what that's like.
>>
>>2911848
desu PS1s bore me to death.
>>
>>2911820
I only collect PSX games anymore. Most of them are still cheap. I used to collect Genesis games too but I gave the console away to a poor kid that liked Sonic. Anything Nintendo is massively overpriced to me. I got rid of my N64 a while ago.
>>
And just when I finally have the means to start collecting Genesis and Gamecube games, the Canadian dollar had to drop...looks like the boat is going to sail on that one.
>>
>>2911921
I feel like OP knew this, he was just using it as an exaggerated example.
>>
File: priceEXPLOSION.png (28KB, 888x350px) Image search: [Google]
priceEXPLOSION.png
28KB, 888x350px
>>2911820
>past 5-10 years
Didn't we already conclude that it actually wasn't until 2013 when things started to get out of control? Pic related, pretty much every game on pricecharting looks like this.
>>
>>2922743
>I gave the console away to a poor kid that liked Sonic.

You just created a potential autist, anon, not cool.
>>
>>2921089
This. Also a game being a "meme game" is the dumbest shit, if that was the case then games like Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde or superman 64 or ET would all be expensive. Earthbound is expensive because it's one of the most in demand snes games there is. It's been one of the pricier snes games for a while, I remember it was 50 or 60 bucks as far back as 2002 or so, and that's back when stuff like turtles in time and sunset riders were 15 bucks.
>>
File: 1438633299629.png (506KB, 1186x906px) Image search: [Google]
1438633299629.png
506KB, 1186x906px
>>2920272
>WHOHO I JUST DISPROVE THIS FAG, THERE's NO RETRO BUBBLU IS NOT $150 WOHO
>Copies of Super Metroid over $50 including teared up copies
>the japanese version is only half the price and its the same goddamn PCB

Try Hard, dumbass
>>
>>2924131

>X3 is expensive because it's popular

X2 and X3 had severely reduced print numbers compared to X1. So you have a bunch of guys going "I own X1, I should get X2 and X3" that's how you get that happening.

Normies don't want Japanese carts.

Hell, I don't want Japanese carts because I don't know any japanese. I have considered making a conscious effort to learn, and importing some games may be a good way to assist with that.

You can't have it both ways. If you want stuff cheap emulate or get a flash cart. If you want a physical colleciton you're paying collectors prices unfortunately.

Being ass backwards and wanting a physical collection but of import games because it's cheaper is pretty fucking stupid. If you're that price conscious get a flashcart or emulate.
>>
>>2924161
X2 and X3 don't require Japanese to play. There's even a translation online for X2's JP script (as well as the English script).
>>
>>2924174

It doesn't matter. If you have NTSC-UC carts you want NTSC-UC carts.
>>
>>2924161
You also can't repro X3 easily.
>>
>>2918487
iktf. best places are ebay -which overcharge to ridiculous levels - or a local shop which also can overcharge
>>
>>2924193
Speak for yourself. I have a number of consoles that I collect both NA and JP releases for, mostly Saturn and famicom. I'm not very good at Japanese, but there are quite a few games that are perfectly playable.
>>
>>2924161
>You can't have it both ways. If you want stuff cheap emulate or get a flash cart. If you want a physical colleciton you're paying collectors prices unfortunately.
This, any kind of collecting is going to cost money.

I'd love to have mint condition Brown Bess musket but they aren't cheap, I'll settle for a repro if I found one, that way I wouldn't even be afraid to shoot it for the fear of losing value.
>>
Speaking about flashcarts: What happens if you try to start a game that uses the DSP or FX chip when the flash cart doesn't have it?
>>
Are prices on Famicom/Super Famicom cartridges still safe? I may pick those up if so since I no longer have an S/NES.
>>
>>2926008
Japanese games tend to be a lot cheaper than the English equivalents.
>>
>>2911948
Like hell Sega shit hasn't been affected. Look at the price for Crusader of Centy or Musha. 2 years ago, a complete MUSHA went for $60-80. Now, a complete MUSHA goes for $300. Basically, the days of finding these games for $1 at Goodwill or garage sale are over. All the collectors have bought them up and are now inflating the prices knowing they are harder to find cheap. Even worse is this movement for "factory sealed", which is nothing more than somebody with a shrink wrap machine wrapping up used games and selling them for retarded prices. I'm sure many of those have a wooden block instead of a cart, but nobody will check because they just spent $300 on a $10 game and don't want to ruin its value.
>>
File: 4 a sonic 1 japan.jpg (237KB, 497x700px) Image search: [Google]
4 a sonic 1 japan.jpg
237KB, 497x700px
I prefer repro box and labels because they're not covered in baby vomit, old tampons, dog shit, or cum. Anyone who hates on repro boxes manuals and labels is just a fucking idiot, and are only collecting for money, not for fun. Play the games, enjoy them - and don't be a little bitch :D
>>
>>2926110
that's why I emulate. I just want to play the games of my youth, not collect dingy old plastic while creating a pussy-repellant autism museum
>>
>>2926119
>pussy repellant
>not wanting to date girls who share your interests and hobbies
>>
>>2926090
THIS, FUKKEN THIS
>>
>>2925974
Nothing. Just black screen
>>
>>2926119
If a girl was repelled by my game collection, I wouldn't want to date her.
>>
>>2926090
This is why I will not buy any factory sealed retro game and refuse to place higher value on sealed games. I buy games to play them, not treat them like art pieces.
>>
>>2911820
It's funny you say that, I'm making bank off of selling games I got for little or nothing 5-10 years ago, and am making enough to quickly pick up a famicom everdrive and abandon the carts altogether. Heck, I can't believe someone actually paid me 36 bucks for Contra, I thought i'd get maybe 20 for it. I remember when I bought it for 8 back in 2006 and thought it was pricey.

One day I'll beat CV3 and then I'll sell that too, probably get a good deal considering I picked it up for 6 back in the day.
>>
>>2926142
But it wont brick?
>>
>>2926205
Yeah, I know what you mean. If things continue to keep going up and up, I'll probably at some point end up selling off all the game besides the ones I absolutely 100% want to play and keep. All the "it's a good/decent game but nothing mindblowing" will go and I can use the money toward flashcarts or other hardware stuff.
>>
>>2926149
This. Buying sealed games is pants on head retarded. There is absolutely zero reason to own a sealed game other than letting it sit on a shelf and gather dust. If you aren't going to play games, don't fucking buy them.
>>
>>2926838
I buy them sealed and then open them
>>
I thought it was funny on James & Mike Mondays today they were bitching about collectors and how expensive everything got when they're a primary reason people got into collecting in the first damn place.
>>
>>2926882
I'd hardly say they were bitching about it. They were pretty much just talking about how much bigger retro games are now and how collecting didn't used to be as popular as it is now. Anyone who has been collecting games as long as they have is definitely going to have some commentary about how much cheaper it used to be, but I didn't hear any sort of lamentations from them about it. Those guys are pretty much done collecting games, and just get sent shit all the time now.
>>
>>2927064
>and just get sent shit all the time now.
This in general disgusts me. Any youtube celeb getting free shit just to dick around for a couple lets plays and keep forever bothers me. Especially considering the current retro boom and how expensive good games are. Plus I'm crazy jealous.
>>
>>2927064
Yeah but it's still ironic they're the ones talking about it when AVGN caused a huge boom for older games.
>>
How much realistically can I get for dragon warrior 2-3-4 no box or book for nes. Also illusions of giae she's no book or box.
>>
>>2927090
>>2927064
I feel the same way. People can do whatever they please, of course, but it bugs the hell out of me that people that already make good amounts of money off youtube playing games also get games sent to them free by fans. Of course I'm also just jelly as fuck, but it's like they're the last people that you need to send free games to
>>
>>2927140
Bout 3 fiddy
>>
>>2920272

It makes me really happy that I got a loose cart for $20.
>>
>Selling some stuff
>craigslist no hits
>/vr/ no hits
>move to eBay
>undercut all the sellers
>post in CAD instead of USD to attract more attention
>have best offer and state I will accept reasonable offers
>everyone offers me half of what I posted it for
>i always counter with the lowest I'll accept
>never hear back from people
>One guy cusses me out saying I'm a retard and a faggot on ebay
>has 300 feedback
>wut
>It sells literally 15 minutes after that message for my asking price, not even a best offer

Guys trying to buy games are the biggest turbo jews I've ever seen.
>>
>>2912495
Here's what I do. Buy loose carts for SNES, boxed for Mega Drive. Boxed SNES is stupidly expensive.

I'm planning on getting a bunch of universal game cases that can fit SNES games and printing out the labels on my own.
>>
>>2926838
You're actually wrong though, physical retro games have become more of an historical piece than a thing to play. It makes even more sense to preserve games now that you can emulate most of the systems and actually play the games without using them.
>>
File: 1418984684699.gif (214KB, 274x249px) Image search: [Google]
1418984684699.gif
214KB, 274x249px
>>2926037
>Check online for some games
>Cruddy torn up copy disk only
>$80! EXTREMELY RARE!
>A dozen copies almost new looking with case and everything from japan
>20 dollars with free shipping
>>
>>2927531
This story means nothing unless you tell us what you're selling and how much you want for it.

I always lowball people who are open to offers on ebay. I start with what I feel these games should be worth based on the fact that they're often 20+ years old and without packaging or anything, which is usually $20-30. Often I just get declined with no counteroffer, or if there IS a counteroffer, it's only a couple of dollars below their original asking price. What the fuck is the point, then?

>>2912495
>Tell me how any normal person is supposed to afford this crap.
They're not. Normal people don't play 20-year-old video games.
>>
File: 1452666847115.png (384KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1452666847115.png
384KB, 640x480px
>>2928228
So learn Japanese and import your shit?
>>
>>2928242
I really need to. It would cost almost nothing to have a Japanese retro collection compared to trying to build here.
>>
>>2927140
pricecharting.com

Inaccurate but not too inaccurate usually.
>>
>>2928245
From what I've heard, the level of Japanese competency you'd need to play /vr/ is far less than what you'd consider "fluent" unless the game heavily relies on spoken dialogue. It really shouldn't take too long to figure out how to read game text, at least to get the gist of what you're doing. The NES, GB and GBC can't even display kanji (just kana) so that's easier.
>>
Post some of your eBay experiences

>europeasant
>only sold physical stuff twice
>first time to a bro from Norway
>I had 7 different DC games listed individually, he buys 3 of those
>I ship them and he never gets back to me, I guess he got them though otherwise he'd say something
>no feedback though

>second time I sell another DC game to some Greek bro
>realize I can't find the manual, the picture was old and I can't find the manual anymore
>contact him, he says it's ok and will buy elsewhere, gives me positive feedback
>I refund him, offer him a discount in my other games
>he buys one and I ship it

Overall good experiences.
>>
>>2924234
you cant repro x2/x3 at all really because of the cx4 chip
>>
>>2928282
euros man...
>buy game from some spaniard
>he has fixed cost shipping
>turns out shipping was more expensive then he thought
>sends me some broken english essentially guilt tripping me to pay him the difference in shipping

Sorry dude. I'm not giving you shit. You picked fixed rate and thats what I paid.
>>
>>2911892
That's because it does.

90% of those old games for the NES were fucking god awful.

Metal Gear in NES is one example, but that title is often over looked because of a lot of kids cried during one of the overly long, poorly written cut scenes in MGS1.
>>
File: 1428866339707.jpg (242KB, 1438x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1428866339707.jpg
242KB, 1438x1080px
>>2928749
>90% of those old games for the NES were fucking god awful.

Why do people expect every NES game to be shatterhand?
>>
>>2917104
Sonic Jam's cheap, brah.
>>
I just switched to exclusively collecting Famicom and Sufami games. Even my FDS collection has come relatively cheap. A game store in town orders huge lots of jap games and sells them off for the same price for everything so I've built up a really nice collection for almost nothing. You only need like 2 months of studying jap(if that) to at least learn your kana needed to play most games
>>
>>2928749
I'd say closer to:

>50% really uninteresting, bland, generic or unremarkable titles, nothing really good about them, but nothing really bad about them either, maybe you grew up with some of these and thought that they were great, but today you see it for what it actually is
>20% bad games, they're poorly executed, rushed ports or adaptions, not rarely a movie license games, these games are bad, but they're largely playable, at least on the technical level
>20% good games, they're done well, they're good ports, they're fun to play, none of these appeal to everyone but you're promised to find a bunch of games you'll like, sometimes these are movie licenses
>5% abysmal games, legendary atrocities, renowned far and wide for being made out of AIDS, e-celebs probably shat on these for cheap points (sometimes literally), there is really nothing redeemable here but some contrarian hipster will probably say that the game is actually good just because he can't stand e-celebs, he is wrong
>5% beloved classics and hidden gems, games loved by most everyone who tried them, finely crafted, a fun and winning gameplay formula, possibly got lots of sequels, a few of these are etched into the public conscious as milestones of videogames, some known widely even by people who don't play videogames or know anything about them

Over half of the NES library is really not worth most people's time, but only a very select percentage of them are Action 52 tier.
>>
Threads like this make me feel so blessed that there's a dedicated retro game reseller ran by really cool and fair people in my town. They do follow price trends to some extent but I literally saw an Earthbound cart go for like $80 in there once, and most AAA SNES games are never more than $40 tops unless its a specialty of some kind. Luckily I still own a lot of AAA titles from childhood and don't have to pay $25+ for Super Mario World n shit
>>
>>2913283
I have a list of games I own and games I'm trying to find. All together it's probably about 1900 titles. This year for the second time I was real close to having more games on the OWN list than the WANT list. Needed 19 more games to make them even. Wife finds out if anyone else is giving me games so that on Christmas eve (when we did Christmas with her family) I end up with 15 games. I'm super stoked and look forward to trying to cross that line with some trips to the goodwill or maybe even some boxing day sales. Next morning I find she's left 9 more games wrapped up on my chair from Santa.

tldr; your GF is a bitch
>>
>>2927531
>I finally found a sucker on ebay
>i'm a turbo jew
>>
>>2928228
This. Language doesn't even always matter. If I want to play fucking golf on the SNES then I am sure it is still playable in Japanese
>>
>>2917771
I see you've worked retail before
>>
>>2913283
>I got a gf in 2011 and she forbade me from buying any more games. But she did allow me to buy flashcarts.
I got a gf in 2011 also.
And she went game hunting with me last weekend to like 5 different flea markets.

Although I'm pretty sure that offhand comments like yours are really just meant to draw reactions.
>>
>>2911820
You could easily profit by destroying this cartridge on video and racking up the youtube revenue from it

The justice would also be great
>>
File: YOUKa5.jpg (32KB, 650x325px) Image search: [Google]
YOUKa5.jpg
32KB, 650x325px
>pic related $30
>dodged all the autism in this thread
>>
>>2932828
>paying 30 for a repro gamepad to emulate with
Why just get an iBuffalo for a third of the price?
>>
>>2931531
>I have a list of games I own and games I'm trying to find. All together it's probably about 1900 titles.
>1900 titles
God damn, son.
>>
>>2932860
kek my wantlist is probably below 70 games and I think that's already a lot
>>
>>2932860
I don't think I'll ever own or play 1900 games. I'm probably a third of the way through my life now and I only own 300-400 or something.
>>
Eh, I always thought spending hundreds of dollars on a cartridge was stupid so I don't really care about the inflation. For pretty much every system except PS3/360 I just buy physical copies of my absolute favorites and then get a flashcart or burn ISOs for everything else.

I think the most expensive game(s) I've ever bought were MG1 and MG2 for MSX. Shit cost me like $300 USD in total, before shipping.
>>
>>2933875
>>2933903
My want list was less than 20. I only just started seriously hunting retro games to fill gaps in my collection from stuff I wanted as a kid but never owned, or games I had played by renting or borrowing.

I can appreciate the idea of wanting to collect a game museum, but I just can't see dedicating that much time/effort/space/money on collecting so many games that likely aren't even worth playing.
>>
>>2935062
This. I started regularly buying retro games about two months ago, and I'm basically only buying titles that I had heard about at one point but missed out on. I have small lists of less than 20 games for each 4th and 5th gen console that I'm interested in.

Once I have all of those (if I ever even get all of them), I'll consider my collection complete. I'm not going to buy dozens of shovelware sports games just for the sake of collecting them.
>>
>>2932860
It's worth noting that this is a list of all games. I'm not some retro only douche. Games are games I like adventure on the 2600 but I also like Metal Gear Solid V. That said the largest chunk on my Want list is the DS with 78 games.
>>
>>2935110
I haven't yet been able to figure out where people here draw their line for 'retro' games. Seems like 5th gen is ok but 6th isn't. If we go by that I'm only looking for 329 and I have 521.
>>
I think it's good. Collectorfags don't deserve anything.
>>
>>2935081
Every* game on that list of ~1900 is a game I want to play. Collecting for collecting sake is stupid, having a game on your shelf just to say you have it on your shelf is lame. Keeping sealed copies is for jerks.

*Sometimes I'll buy a game on impulse based on wicked sweet box art or a cool description on the back of the box. I also still have the games from my childhood as such I have a couple games I don't really care that much about playing again.

**I've actually gone through my games several times thinking I should get rid of titles I didn't really like or that I don't play that much and the list I end up making is so small I find it's not worth the effort to get rid of maybe a dozen sub-par games.
>>
>>2935062
>My want list was less than 20
>less than 20
>seriously hunting

lol
>>
>>2935126
>Every* game on that list of ~1900 is a game I want to play.
That's nuts man. More power to you, though. You truly seem to just enjoy video games, more than I ever could.
>>
>>2935130
Serious hunting does not always indicate hunting on a massive scale. A lot of the games on my list are just hard to find, or stupidly inflated. I've always wanted to own them, but I was never "serious" about it until recently when I finally put together a dedicated retro game set-up and refurbished all my old systems and controllers.
>>
>>2935161
That's actually super appreciated. It does mean I have far less money for other things (I don't drink or smoke so that helps) and when my friend were having parties I was playing Golden Axe Warrior alone. I don't have nearly as many friends as I once did. Game just have so much to offer though, so many adventures, so many endurance tests, so many puzzles. I don't think I've gone a day in my life without games. Fortunately I've got a legendary wife (see above) [also amazing chef] who for whatever reason thinks that these walls of games are cool. Not once has she ever suggested games were anything but rad. Feels good man.
>>
>>2935130
>lol only 20?, my list to buy things numbers 20000
You people sure enjoy to play video games.
>>
>>2935192
>(I don't drink or smoke so that helps)
Hah. This is always what I tell myself when I don't want to feel bad about how much money I spend on my hobbies, but really, there's no need for an excuse. You only live once. Spend your money on shit that makes you happy.

My preference for fewer games might also come from my upbringing. I owned a whopping 5 SNES games for most of my life. I played a ton more by borrowing/renting, which is why I'm now trying to add them to my collection

A somewhat related story; I have a friend who got big into mass-collecting SNES games about 10-15 years ago. Not just games, but hardware and any related swag. He could probably put together an SNES museum, I think according to his spreadsheet, he owns like 87% of the North American SNES library. Whenever we used to hang out, we'd just pick various games and play. Sometimes we'd play one awesome game all night long, other times we'd just rapid fire through dozens of shit games and have a laugh at them. Once he won an auction for a box of like 50 Japanese Super Famicom games. We spent a whole night just playing them and trying to figure them out. It was pretty fucking awesome.

Anyway, long story short, he eventually moved out of his parent's house, but he just kind of left his collection there. He's got hundreds of SNES games just sitting in tupperware bins in the mess of his old room. It's the saddest fucking thing. Now that I'm actually looking to fill out my library, I want to just sneak in there and rummage around for a bit. He's got copies of Chrono Trigger and Kirby's Dream Land 3 that are just locked away. I offered to buy some stuff off of him, but he seems like he doesn't want to sell. It's his property, I suppose, but I highly doubt he'll ever go back to it.

He does weigh like 500 lbs. now. I suppose I can just wait until he dies, then let the harvest begin.
>>
>>2935219
I didn't mean it as an excuse I'm just saying that I know how much my friends spend on those things and I'm glad I don't because more games. I've never felt the need to excuse liking games probably because of my family being awesome.

Mass collecting makes me nervous. While some may think that 2000 games to be a large number when you consider how many games have been release ever it's actually pretty small. I hear you about blasting through a bunch at once, that's one of the reasons I haven't traded/sold the few games in my collection that aren't really worth playing. Sometimes it's nice to play Moon Ranger (although not for very long). Of my import games, SFC is definately the largest chunk, there are a lot of games you can play with zero Japanese reading.

You still friends with the guy? you should just show up to his parents say you want to surprise him and either root through his collection under the guise of checking to see if he already has whatever, or just tell them he wanted to to bring the collection to his place. Then just vanish into the night.

Is KDL3 hard to find now? My mom got me a copy from Zellers in a bargian bin after the N64 had come out. I was at home sick from school and she thought (and a copy of MegaMan X) would cheer me up. Thanks mom :)
>>
>>2935276
>Then just vanish into the night.
I'd feel guilty. I guess.

>>2935276
>Is KDL3 hard to find now?
No SNES games are really that hard to find. It's just that it rarely sells for under $60, often over $70, and as much as I enjoyed the game as a kid, I don't feel like spending that much on it now. Maybe in a year or so. I've spent a lot of money on games recently.

It's like I've said before about games like Earthbound which are perceived as "rare". They aren't really. A lot of my local retro game dealers all have a copy of Earthbound. But it's priced at $200, so nobody is going to buy it but the hippest of hipsters that happens to walk into that place. I've seen more copies of Earthbound in person than I have Super Metroid or Kirby Super Star. Hell out of all the game stores I frequent when browsing for stuff, only one of them even has a copy of Super Mario World in stock.
>>
>>2935298
Haha, I hear that. I don't think I've ever seen a Super Metroid at any of my local stores. Earthbound is everywhere. I feel like if you can search for it on ebay and find 20+ pages of something then it's not rare. It's rare for me to see in peoples collections but that's just cause prices are garbage. Maybe the hipsters will move on someday, only time will tell.
>>
>>2911993

Demand for retro titles in active franchises is stimulated by new installments in their franchises.

Every time Nintendo releases a Mario games, people are reminded of the fact that there are a lot of old Mario games. So people end talking to other people about these old games, if they are worth playing and if there are other good games on the same console. All of that stimulates demand and causes the prices to go up.

With Sega, since most franchises from those consoles are either dead or have fallen into obscurity so there is never any reminder like there is with old Nintendo games. As a result, there is no demand for retro Sega to the same extent that there is for retro Nintendo.
>>
>>2935450
Also, Smash Bros. The only reason anyone knows who the fuck Ness or Captain Falcon are.
>>
>>2935464
Except for all of us that played Earthbound and F-Zero...

I mean maybe I can get the Ness thing cause yea it was an RPG that I don't think quite as many people played but F-Zero was pretty popular, at least in my area.
>>
>>2935450
Strider, Splatterhouse, Sonic, Mortal Kombat, I think there isn't as much nostalgia for Sega cause they just weren't as popular back then. Also, I find that generally the Sega stuff didn't really age as well. As Derek Alexander pointed out in the Totally Random Show, when Nintendo does a re-release they do single games, Sega does packs. This is cause you're just not going to be able to convince someone to shell out $20 for a copy of Sonic the Hedgehog 2.
>>
>>2935471
>Except for all of us that played Earthbound and F-Zero...
Vast majority only heard about Ness after he was in smash. It was not a very popular game in its heyday

And as for C. Falcon, people knew what F-Zero was, but nobody really knew or cared about Falcon himself. He was just another pilot you could pick from. The most his presence was in the games was a profile picture when picking a racer.
>>
>>2935490
You don't even get a profile when you pick a racer as I recall. You just see the cars. The only racer art was in the manual. I'm at work now so I can't verify that. However I stand by my statement. Ness I can kinda get but there's no reason not to know who Captain Falcon is.
>>
>>2935471
>F-Zero was pretty popular, at least in my area
I'm just saying it wouldn't have stayed popular, since the last installment was over 15 years ago, and Captain Falcon has since achieved more notoriety for his meme punch than he has for being an actual racer.

And no, duh, it's not like I'm saying that literally nobody played Earthbound or F-Zero back in the day, but the characters certainly don't have staying power without being kept relevant. Plus, a great deal of the people I see in retro game stores are teenagers who weren't even old enough to have played some of these games when they come out.

>>2935482
>you're just not going to be able to convince someone to shell out $20 for a copy of Sonic the Hedgehog 2
Really? I think it's one of the greatest platformers of the 16-bit era. Certainly still worth $20. It just kind of baffles me that have to pay $40 if you want a copy of Kirby Super Star, but I bought Sonic 1 with box and manual for like, 3 bucks. Sonic has droves of fans, even though his games are shit. You think you'd be able to extort them quite a bit for re-buying the old games.

>>2935496
>there's no reason not to know who Captain Falcon is
>You don't even get a profile when you pick a racer as I recall
I think that's a pretty good reason. And you're right, you don't get a profile. It doesn't even say his name. It just says "Blue Falcon". So here's a guy who isn't even in his own game, and you think there's a reason that he should be considered memorable outside of his appearance in Smash Bros? Even if F-Zero X, you get a tiny picture of his face, but it still doesn't even say his name. The name of the car seems more important. Also the fact that, like I said, there hasn't been an F-zero game in over 15 years. Captain Falcon didn't become the "face" of F-Zero until Smash Bros. made him more well known.
>>
File: speculation.png (103KB, 1116x613px) Image search: [Google]
speculation.png
103KB, 1116x613px
>>2917063
>>2912091
Is this satire or are you guys actually retarded? These games could be found in flea markets or on ebay for one tenth the price that they go for currently. The supply has not diminished; the increase in prices is ENTIRELY the product of a growing trend of video game collection (primarily Nintendo) as either hobby or a manner of speculation, and has nothing to do with their market value as a game TO BE PLAYED. As an example, OoT 3D shot up to about $100 when it was announced that physical copies would no longer be manufactured, though digital copies would still be sold. The catch? MILLIONS of copies had already been sold. But if it were March and I were complaining of the absurd prices resulting from braindead speculators, you (two?) frothing retard(s) would be saying "well, it's just like, supply and demand, you know?". Fucking kill yourselves, you wastes of air.
>>
you corncobs don't know how to retro game in the modern age of inflation prices, u should do what i did and sell off all ur expensive junk for megabux and downlod the ROMS off of the internet and play nintdo on the computer using a NES to USB adaptor to use genuine Nintendo controllers for authentisicy's sake and in order to recreate the thrill of finding NES games in the wild without blowing all ur ill gotten megabux you should go to old grandmaws yard sales before all the other ass holes get there and you can get all of their grandson's shitty ass crappy common el cheapo games for few bucks, look at me, i'm a regulr gaming big shot around these parts and i have a shelf of a lot of games and i got them for not very much el dinero's, mostly cause i am the proud papa of like 40 to 50 smb/duck hunt carts! lmao :D
>>
>>2935527
Super really, I know people are super into Sonic. I played it like crazy as a kid but looking back beyond a super cool character sonic had nothing going for it. While a lot of people still like sonic I think most with agree that Nintendo classics hold value much better than the sega ones.

I realize I'm in the minority on the sonic is a bad time train, I also think pokemon (I'm talking Red and Blue only as I've only played those ones) are also a bad time.
>>
>>2918115
>cartridge game that sold millions of copies is selling for the same price loose as it did new
Now I know I've been drinking crazy juice.
>>
Those who say that the current prices are due to supply and demand are technically correct. That is why prices have risen so rapidly. However, we have to look at the reasons for this.

Pre-2010, retro game playing and collecting was very niche. Only people with a love for gameplay bought them. In February 2010, Stadium Events sold for $41,000. People looked at NES games, and instead of seeing junk saw gold. Soon prices for other NES games started rising.

Speculators soon joined in. They started raiding flea markets and second-hand shops weekly, destroying the collecting hobby that had previously existed.

SNES didn't really take off until 2011 or 2012, but once it did it had the same effect as NES, raising prices of common loose SNES games until in some cases they cost as much as a new PS3 or XBOX 360 game, despite selling millions. N64 and Gamecube soon followed.

While partially based on nostalgia, this rise in prices is based on nothing more than investors expecting a sound return on investment when they buy Nintendo games. This is why prices of most Megadrive and PS1 games haven't risen, because they're not Nintendo, and therefore will not be as likely to make a profit. Only niche systems such as Saturn are considered a safe bet.

But what will happen when carts stop selling, and investors can't move stock and start losing money? The entire illusion of NES being a safe bet will be shattered, and therefore the whole reason for buying retro games. Many investors will quickly sell off stock before prices fall any further. The retro Nintendo market will utterly collapse outside of the super rares. This is more likely to happen the higher the average price.

This will happen first with NES. Most people under a certain age have no interest in the gameplay of most NES games. This is a market almost entirely fueled by speculation, with games going for 300-400% of their intrinsic value. Once that collapses, the rest will be soon to follow.
>>
>>2918134
>People on /vr/ think we're in a retro hipster bubble, but I don't think that's true

I'm guessing you weren't in school in the late 2000's or early 2010's.
>>
>>2936050
Er, I graduated high school in 2010 and college in 2014, so I'm not sure what you mean...
>>
>>2936040
>being this butthurt about being poor
>>
>>2911820
>over the past 5-10 years
Gee I wonder what could be responsible for all this inflation.
>>
>>2936040
I like your reasoning is solid but I feel like we should have already crossed that line or at least should be close enough to it that we can see it on the horizon. You have any speculations as to when this might happen? At this point it really does seem like the prices aren't going anywhere and won't for a decade or two at least.
>>
>>2936290
I was in middle school in 2010 and let me tell you, that's when shit started to hit the fan.

Kids started loving all the old pokemon games. They started putting emulators on their iPhones and wearing "gamer gear" and shit like that.
So yeah, that's when it started.
>>
>>2936040
Unfortunately, it's not that simple. This is only how it would work if there were nothing but speculators, or at least if they were the vast majority. I can see why making analogies to purchasing stocks makes sense, but ther'es more to it than that. There are tons of speculators driving prices up, but there are also tons of people who have gotten into the retro gaming fad as well. To say the majority getting into it are just speculators would be incorrect.

The market is not just fueled by speculation. It's also fueled by people who want to buy/own/play vidya.
>>
>>2936334
It's hard to tell when it'll happen. It depends on how much the market will bear. However I feel that it'll happen pretty soon. We're at the stage where a loose Megaman cart costs $60 and a loose Super Mario Bros. 2 costs $25. I don't see gamer paying that kind of money for much longer instead of emulating, and I think we'll soon be at the point where investors consider a purchase too risky because of inflated prices.
>>
>>2936704
You have a point that retro gaming is also a fad at the moment. Personally I feel that we're coming to the end of it though. Maybe I'm wrong, but I feel that many people who got into retro gaming as a fad did so not out of love for retro gameplay and mechanics, but because it was the 'in' thing at the time. At this point, most of those people have likely been scared away because of high prices and are happy to buy retro games on the virtual console or emulate on their PCs.
>>
>>2937463
>At this point, most of those people have likely been scared away because of high prices and are happy to buy retro games on the virtual console or emulate on their PCs.

It's really hard to say. All the scalping that occurs with modern nintendo shit (amiibos, special edition consoles/games/etc) leads me to believe that these people are simply willing to pay exorbitant prices for anything, regardless of whether its retro or new. They just don't give a shit about high prices and are willing to pay 50 bucks for stuff that used to be 10. They're what allows the market value of these games to stay so high, after all.

And I don't think virtual console options will drive down demand due to having other methods to play games. After all, many believe that things like the Wii's virtual console are what lead to retro games becoming popular in the first place. People started hearing more about old games on VC, and decided to go out and buy the actual thing.
>>
>>2936384
Huh, that's interesting. I assumed kids were mostly into Minecraft, CoD, and casual iPhone games. I mean, obviously different kids will be into different things, but you know what I mean.

A few of my friends my age have emulators on their phones, I didn't think it would be popular with people much younger than that though.
>>
>>2937718
>50 bucks for stuff that used to be 10

Dude, I've paid 500 bucks for stuff that used to be 10.

Just explaining what kind of people are in the collecting market. I make good money, I like video games, some of these games are genuinely uncommon and I won't be getting them at cheaper prices any time soon, so I buy them.
>>
>>2937718
>>2937718
Scalping of modern Nintendo is the natural end result of scalping of retro Nintendo. People see the prices of old Nintendo games and naturally assume that if they buy now and keep their stock sealed, their investments will be worth more in a few years, after Nintendo stops production.

This is the first generation where people are buying Nintendo games early just to get them while they are still in shops, before they rise in price on the second-hand market. Of course, many of these people aren't in it for the money and just want to play games. Nintendo has been producing fewer copies of games this generation because of the low popularity of the Wii U and because they want to encourage digital sales. However, there are still more than enough to meet demand.

Ultimately most people scalping modern Nintendo will find themselves out of pocket in a few years when they realise that everyone has been scalping modern Nintendo, and that a sealed Mario Maker or Windwaker HD is worthless as a result.

All of this happened with the comic book and baseball card bubbles also. People began buying modern cards and comics in order to get rich in the future. Those ended up being worth nothing in the end.

I should point out though that one crucial difference between this bubble and the comic book and baseball card bubbles is that comic and baseball card companies actively encouraged the bubbles, producing many limited editions and encouraging a general feeling of 'Buy now or else'. Nintendo has done this to an extent but I don't feel it's been to anywhere near the same extent.

Either way, when retro Nintendo collapses so will modern Nintendo (exceptions being, of course, items that are actually rare and hard to find).
>>
>>2937730
>Dude, I'm an ebaby

>>2937923
You're right. It works this way with nearly everything people collect. Most things that are snapped up and offered for high prices initially end up being worth less than they originally sold for a short while later. This is because every tom dick and harry tries to get in on the game.
But if you get something that had slightly limited production and is a brand that people recognize and hang on to it long enough odds are high it will go up. The key is how long. You're going to have to hang on something 20-30 years before it's considered "old" and enough have been broken/lost/thrown away to deplete the supply enough to affect price.
Obviously since most people here are under 20 and the rest under 30 they're massively butthurt that they didn't get a chance to save their teenage toys for 30 years and see them increase in value.
>>
>>2937730
IAM SOOOOWWW SMAAAAARRRRRRRRTH
>>
>>2937724
>games are free
>can be put on your phone with emulators
>look up some videos online where people give you an idea of what's good
It's a no-brainer, kids aren't retarded (for the most part).

I didn't grow up with a SNES but I emulated the shit out of that (still do), because they were free and there's lots of great ones.
Hell, I felt that in many ways, the SNES had prettier graphics than many 3D games at the time (I mean, I love Half-Life, but the character models were kind of rough on your eyes even back then).

It doesn't surprise me in the slightest that there are kids today who seek out classics. Most kids will just play current shit but it's not like enthusiasts don't spring up, people who like videogames will probably go exploring.
>>
>>2938726
...I mean honestly I don't consider myself particularly smart for spending large sums of money on cardboard boxes.

I hope we can maintain quality discussions on this board.
>>
>>2927531
They're resellers you dolt, they don't want your game they want to sell it for more than you are. That guy knew he could sell it for more than you just did and is upset that you won't jew enable him. The sole reason I want a better economy is so that faggot resellers and scalpers no longer think flipping something for ten fucking dollars more than they paid is worth their time.
>>
>>2937730
I certainly wonder when the bubble will burst. I know there are people out there willing to spend large amounts of money on items they want, but there has to be a breaking point. I can't imagine that there is a large market for people willing to spend $500 (or even $100) on something.
>>
>>2939939
This is seriously what I don't get. I don't understand how buying games and then selling them for slightly higher prices is enough to make any sort of income off of. And even if its just a side gig, the amount of time you're putting in for a couple extra pennies is never worth it, no matter how much you upscale or downscale the operation.

There are so many better ways to turn your time and energy into a profit.
>>
>>2940572
>I can't imagine that there is a large market for people willing to spend $500 (or even $100) on something.

Do you not know how much people spend on superfluos shit?
Thread posts: 387
Thread images: 27

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.