[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is there a worse console in history than this? >causes eyestrain

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 9

File: vb.jpg (198KB, 1280x1263px) Image search: [Google]
vb.jpg
198KB, 1280x1263px
Is there a worse console in history than this?

>causes eyestrain
>library of about 25 games
>tries to be a portable system but fails
>accessories like a link cable were scrapped
>its creator was killed by Nintendo-hired yakuza

You'd think Nintendo of all companies could do better than this.
>>
game.com is a massive piece of shit. just watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNFP9ID1blE
>>
I liked it. I never got why everyone hated it. Maybe the price. We are so hard on companies for trying new things. With PS3 in the begining at least they toughed it out until they started to get games. I feel like Vboy, 32x, and the like threw their hands up in the air and said FUCK THIS before even really giving it a chance.
>>
>>2910089
It was good that they threw in the towel with the 32X and Virtual Boy. You already had the Saturn on the horizon so why extend the life of the Genesis with an add-on and split who would be developing for your main consoles like that? For Nintendo they already had a home console and a Gameboy, and the Virtual Boy didn't fill in either space for portability or being a home console so it was inherently inferior to both products that Nintendo already had, none-the-less they would need to develop games for three systems now.
>>
File: Minipolystation3[1].jpg (387KB, 1424x1170px) Image search: [Google]
Minipolystation3[1].jpg
387KB, 1424x1170px
Sure!
>>
File: TeleroBoxer-07.gif (9KB, 384x225px) Image search: [Google]
TeleroBoxer-07.gif
9KB, 384x225px
awwww yeah, VB thread?
>>
Virtual Boy should have been a SNES peripheral. Could have plugged the head unit into the AV out, used the SNES controller and had a cartridge adapter akin to the Super Gameboy. Maybe then you could manage a color spectrum instead of red and black.

It really had no excuse trying to pass as a portable, but as a niche peripheral akin to the SuperScope it could have cut some of its cost by relying on the SNES and might have found greater market acceptance. Set up two of them on the coffee table and Telerobox beatdown your siblings.

The games were also not well suited to it. Early fps like Doom or Hexen could have been great. Even an F-Zero or Star Fox title with the camera set inside the vehicle could have been nice.
>>
>>2910120
It couldn't have done color, even with a snes.

It was monochrome because that was the only way to fit enough pixels into the display.

This is still a problem with modern vr headsets.
>>
>>2910120
>Maybe then you could manage a color spectrum instead of red and black.
>I'm only guessing as to why it was only red and black
The post.
>>
AT LEAST the games are... games that are controllable. People bash in Jaguar, VB and 32x but damn, you can at least get a game there and play something. Now you think in a Game.com or a N-gage with horrible controls and unplayable framerate and can only cry about it.
>>
>>2910190
Ngage was bad? I remember its games looking similar to GBA games.
>>
>>2910107
what in god's name
>>
Teleroboxer was fucking amazing.

And it had the best old school Wario game.

I also thought the "VR" effect was really cool... never understood the complaint of only two colors, the Gameboy only had two colors and it was fine. I wish they would've thugged it out a little longer.

I found it breaddy gool.
>>
File: R-Zone.jpg (32KB, 464x304px) Image search: [Google]
R-Zone.jpg
32KB, 464x304px
>>2910029
>>
>>2910142
>>2910176
Didn't know about the color deal actually. Quite interesting. But I still stand by my stance on the VB overall, I would have liked to see it survive just a bit longer and flesh out its library and I still think it might have achieved that as a peripheral
>>
File: Atari-jaguar-2.jpg (110KB, 335x377px) Image search: [Google]
Atari-jaguar-2.jpg
110KB, 335x377px
>>2910029
>No one has even ever heard of me
>>
>>2910250
Beat me to it.
>>
>>2910338
3DO is up there too, Road Rash is literally the only reason to own one
>>
>>2910338
>AVP
>tempest 2000
>defender 2000
>iron soldier
>rayman
>great doom port (that lacks music)
>iron soldier
>raiden
>super burnout

Still better than the VB
>>
>>2910029
There's worse. The Game.com is worse in every single way. There are just about zero actual positive things to say about it.
Just as with the 32X, there are decent, playable games with some actual production value put into them on the VB (although, I'd end up putting the 32X ahead just because of the issues and the smaller library of good games that the VB has).

>>2910250
this shouldn't even count as a game system
they're those stupid LCD games except now they're strapped to your face

>>2910213
N-Gage had a few issues.
1: the screen was tiny and in a poor orientation, in Sonic N, you could barely see ahead of you at all
2: games overtaxed the hardware constantly, lots of low framerates abound, go play Tony Hawk on the thing
3: physically, it's a poor machine, with poor inputs

>>2910348
I still think that if the 3DO wasn't retarded expensive due to its licensing model, it would have succeeded.
>>
>>2910029
>eyestrain

False. You probably fell for the "VR causes nausea" meme, too.
>>
>>2910348
fuck off 3DO has quite a few games that are great your just a teeny bopper who thinks that anything youtube says is right
>>
>>2910029
new fag detected just because some fucking moron claims that this hurt vr is not true
>>
File: snes video game.jpg (506KB, 1296x900px) Image search: [Google]
snes video game.jpg
506KB, 1296x900px
I don't actually believe this, I just want to derail this thread with half-assed bait. While it may look like I'm blowing my chances of causing drama with this post, in reality someone will reply to this and say that the SNES really is the worst console.
>>
>>2910472
Regardless of whether it's technically "eyestrain" or not, the Virtual Boy looks very bad because its display is strobed at 50Hz. It's like being forced to use PAL.
>>
>>2910241

I was just watching some gameplay of the VB Wario and it looks really great.

Wouldn't be surprised if it's a lost, classic Nintendo platformer.

Seriously would consider buying a VB for it, when I have the money.
>>
>>2910851
It's pretty much Wario Land 1.5
>>
>>2910854

Except with 2D 32 bit graphics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFwkuljK5DM

This game looks fantastic
>>
>>2910831
>implying it's not
It has one or two good games I guess, but nothing really stands out about it.
There's nothing special about it. No new concepts or anything. It's pretty much just a worse NES, in every way.
>>
>>2911038
This is meant to be satirical right?

I was definitely more of a Genesis guy myself but even I have to admit that the SNES has way more than "one or two good games".
>>
File: Atari-7800-Console-Set.png (1MB, 1920x965px) Image search: [Google]
Atari-7800-Console-Set.png
1MB, 1920x965px
>>2910029
This piece of shit
>>
>>2910029
Stop repeating something what some e-celebs/retards said on the internet when you don't know much about it or even haven't tried it.
>>
>>2910029
emulated. but I agree it is shite.
>>2910118
>>2910048
why no vb on virtual console for 3ds? could it work?
>>
>>2911902
but anon, it had the best home port of donkey kong arcade
>>
>>2911902
>Has good arcade ports
>Backwards compatible with 2600
How is this shit? It even has a good homebrew scene
>>
>>2910142

No that's completely wrong. It was red because red LEDs were affordable, green and blue LEDs were cost prohibitive.

>>2910308

Don't listen to him, he's bullshitting.
>>
>>2910142
>It was monochrome because that was the only way to fit enough pixels into the display.
Oh really.
I read that it had been monochrome because only red LEDs had been cheap by that time.
>>
File: boobulusrift.png (405KB, 855x470px) Image search: [Google]
boobulusrift.png
405KB, 855x470px
Virtual Boy needed two things it didn't have, color and enough horsepower for proper 3D games.

It could have had both if it sold not as a standalone system, but as a peripheral for the N64. By that time, the cost of blue and green LEDs fell to parity with red LEDs (the cost disparity being why VB was red and black)

The N64 already had loads of games where it rendered 2-4 simultaneous views, for multiplayer. So it had the hardware needed to do reasonably complex polygonal games with two views, one for each eye, and at a good framerate.

What did not exist then is acceptable head tracking, so it'd still sit on your table. It'd just be a color, stereoscopic 3D viewer compatible with certain N64 titles.
>>
>>2913242

You're correct, that guy is passing off his own guesses/hearsay as fact.
>>
>>2911902

it was the 5200 that sucked
>>
>>2910472
>"VR causes nausea" meme
Don't know if it's meme but I remember I felt bad because I played Shrek 2.
>>
>>2913235
>>2912120
Horrible sound chip

Besides having a few good Arcade ports, most of it's library is shit.
Also backwards compability doesn't matter if you're talking about the console and its OWN games.
>>
>>2910029
Playing the Virtua boy was actually really fun and I don't remember any bad games for it. It didn't make me sick playing it either, it was easy on the eyes, but the sensory deprivation does a trip on your brain
>>
>>2910348
>Alone In The Dark
>Another World
>Cannon Fodder
>D
>Dragon's Lair
>Gex
>Incredible Machine
>Lemmngs
>Myst
>Panzer General
>Primal Rage
>Samurai Shodown
>Space Hulk: Vengeance of the Blood Angels
>Super Street Fighter II Turbo
>Syndicate
>Wolfenstein 3D

Only thing wrong with 3DO was the price.
>>
>>2913253
>it was the 5200 that sucked
What's that? I can't hear you over my playing Robotron 2084 with dual joysticks.
>>
>>2910338

it was the xbox of its day. a bunch of shitty pc ports
>>
>>2913890
Ummm....you could do that with the 7800 too. With better controllers.
>>
>>2911902
haha, no
>>
>>2910142
>It was monochrome because I'm underage
It took longer to get from affordable red LEDs to blue ones than you've been on thus earth my child.
>>
File: Pippinfront.jpg (236KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
Pippinfront.jpg
236KB, 1024x768px
A challenger appears!
>>
>>2910029

25 games? try half that...
>>
>>2910348
>>2913819
yeah it really seemed pointless at the time when you could get a pc instead.
>>
>>2913970

Good analogy but those ports were actually the best on any console at the time
>>
>>2917808
This here is actually a genuine contender for one of the worst consoles ever made:
>library of 18 games with no real killer app, as a comparizon Virtual Boy had games that were actually good apart from being on a shitty system
>completely failed marketing campaign, even most people who were interested in video games in the '90s barely knew the system existed or anything about it
>basically tried to do the exact same thing 3DO did right after it failed in it at the same time Playstation came out

The absolute worst thing about it is that it is an Apple product that bombed meaning it will eventually get Applefags interest and is a perfect collector's piece for someone trying to be a hipster with Apple products.
>...and here I have Apple Pippin, a video game console so underrated that no one has ever heard of it!
>I liked/owned one before it was cool to have one!
>>
>>2910236
Polystation is a popular 'brand' of Famiclones.
>>
>>2911902
the 7800 kicks ass man.
>>
>>2911936
It would totally work, they should just releade a mega-pak of everything. I just ordered 3D glasses so I can play Jack Bros. on my homebrew channel'd Wii U. Pretty psyched.
>>
>>2910107
>miniolytationPZ3
Thread posts: 58
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.