[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

David Bowie, best known for being the voice actor in the 199

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 89
Thread images: 13

File: LTXdRa6.jpg (42KB, 598x318px) Image search: [Google]
LTXdRa6.jpg
42KB, 598x318px
David Bowie, best known for being the voice actor in the 1999 Adventure Game Omikron: The Nomad Soul has passed away.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzbKjSgvcdw

Did he actually have any other presence / influence in retro games?
>>
THIS IS HOW I FUCKING FIND OUT A THREAD ABOUT OMIKRON FUCK YOU OP
>>
>>2909662
Hardly OP's fault that you're an ignorant cunt, is it now?
>>
>>2909657

BowieWorld in worlds.com, he was even a pioneer in virtual reality
>>
Why do people say passed away? Just say died, no reason to beat around the bush and be PC about it.
>>
What's the best David Bowie lp, and why is it Ziggy Stardust?
>>
>>2909730
That's not a PC term, people have been saying "passed away" for a very long time. It's considered polite, especially in situations where people are known to have cared for the person.
>>
File: Front.jpg (138KB, 517x750px) Image search: [Google]
Front.jpg
138KB, 517x750px
>>2909657
>Did he actually have any other presence / influence in retro games?

Yes.
>>
>>2909662
>implying the death of a long retired song writter &interpreter matters in the least, or any more than the death of my late calc teacher last month who was still hard at work inspiring young adults into advancing our species
>>
>>2909820
>long retired

But that's wrong.
>>
>>2909809
>movie games

thats like saying the same for any actor from any adventure or thriller movie ever turned into game
>>
>>2909829

And? Op asked for Bowie in retro, well that's all we have.
>>
>>2909657
according to wikipedia he was fan of parasite eve
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parasite_Eve_II#Audio
>>
File: The EMPRAH.png (1MB, 545x796px) Image search: [Google]
The EMPRAH.png
1MB, 545x796px
>>2909657
>best known for being the voice actor in the 1999 Adventure Game Omikron: The Nomad Soul
M8...
>Did he actually have any other presence / influence in retro games?
Except being the model for a lot of classic JRPG fantasy villains AND heroes?

I don't know, you tell me.
>>2909820
>Muh science
STEMfag pls go.
>>
>>2909839
He released a new album just a few days ago negro
>>
>>2909850
STEM > artsy fartsy bullshit

Wanna know who gets shit done in the world? Scientists and engineers. Not faggy singers.
>>
>>2909820
You're a woman
>>
>>2909730

^^ Asperger's
>>
>>2909865
Using a language properly is not a sign of a mental illness. Those people that need to sugar coat things so they don't get their precious feelings hurt are the ones with the brain problems.
>>
>>2909854
Released Black Star on his 69th birthday as a "gift for his fans." A true gentleman and artist.
>>
>>2909820
No one's getting inspired by calculus anon.
>>
/v/ tier retardation ITT.
>>
http://www-static.us.worlds.net/cgi-bin/download/download.cgi?action=full&bundle=BowieNMCurrentVera

Bowie's virtual city is still up after 15 years. See for yourself.
>>
>>2909890

That's not true. Calculus is awesome.

But calculus teachers (in high school, at least) are generally more prison guards than conveyors of inspiration. (And in high school or college, they generally aren't even necessary to the most talented students, except maybe to perform relatively low-skill overseeing of the homework and tests and whatnot, since the textbook usually contains all the class material anyway, and will tend to present it very professionally and concisely at that.) STEM-douche up there would have done better to cite somebody who actually does original research/discovery in math. That might be a more proper point of comparison to a great artist like Bowie.
>>
>>2909876

Nevermind illness. Talking the way you're doing is a sign of stupidity. It's tedious and obvious, and by preachily whining about it behind the backs of anybody who cares, you're showing your own mental weakness, which like every other aspect of any human mind is surely rooted in emotion.

David Bowie was pretty awesome though.
>>
>>2909906

page not found

?
>>
File: bowie.jpg (480KB, 1599x940px) Image search: [Google]
bowie.jpg
480KB, 1599x940px
>>2909906
I'm there right now...
>>
File: boz.jpg (101KB, 792x454px) Image search: [Google]
boz.jpg
101KB, 792x454px
This looks like hot shit. It's nice to see how far graphical design has come.
>>
>>2910092
Two thousand zero zero party over oops out of time
>>
File: 2016-01-11_Bowie3.png (378KB, 809x781px) Image search: [Google]
2016-01-11_Bowie3.png
378KB, 809x781px
>>2910061
>>
File: Untitled.png (505KB, 1914x1035px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
505KB, 1914x1035px
>>2910008

I added a letter by mistake. Sorry.

Arrow keys let you move, and you can interact with objects by clicking.

http://www-static.us.worlds.net/cgi-bin/download/download.cgi?action=full&bundle=BowieNMCurrentVer
>>
>>2910129

Also, run it in administrator mode so you can download additional sections of the map.
>>
>>2909820
What retro video game was your calc teacher in?
>>
>>2909856
I'm a software developer and if I were only around STEM people I would fucking kill myself
>>
File: 1433051306408.jpg (17KB, 241x252px) Image search: [Google]
1433051306408.jpg
17KB, 241x252px
>>2910157

Fucking Your Mom's Anus RPG Maker
>>
>>2910172
Whoa, I think we were in the same calc class.
>>
YOU CANT FUCKING MENTION A 1999 game and make unrelated to vr shit relevant. gtfo You noob faggot.
>>
>>2909838
There is also the Famicom Labyrinth game.
>>
>>2911189
you need to work on your insults son noob wont cut it.
>>
>>2909839
You're ignorant and stubborn. Just accept that you are wrong because it is a fact.
>>
>>2909856
STEM fascism at its finest.

You guys should be prohibited from expressing any opinions outside of your field of expertise, you're embarassing.
>>
>>2911248
>embarassing
learn to spell, artfag. also stay butthurt as fuck over not being part of the STEM master race
>>
>>2909856
You wanna know who gets shit done? Carnies. Watch them set rides up and tell me they're not bad asses.
>>
>>2911292
I'm not even an artfag.

But your inferiority complex is embarrassing, too sad no one will mourne you for your insignificant existence? Or maybe you're just butthurt that a person with creativity was more appreciated than the average coding monkey?
You should know by now that people contribute to society in a lot of different ways, if you can't understand why David Bowie is more appreciated and well know than say, Renzo Piano or Richard Feynman that's your own problem.
>>
Not /vr/ but related to Bowie
found out he was Nikola Tesla in The Prestige didnt realize it was him.
>>
>>2909657
>Bowie had planned for the album to be his swan song or "parting gift" for his fans before his death; he died only two days after the album's release
>mfw
>>
File: .gif (1MB, 250x233px) Image search: [Google]
.gif
1MB, 250x233px
>>2911189
>noob
I know this is a retro board but goddamn son you don't need to use retro vernacular from 1999
>>
>>2909657
>best known for
kek.

>>2909730
>Why do people say passed away
Because they're not underage aspies. Why do people misuse the word retro?
>>
>>2909657
>that spoopy moment when your wife turns into a demon

my childhood would never be the same
>>
>>2909820
Yeah but your calc teacher isn't a sexy British hunk.
>>
>>2911418
in 1999 the term would have still been either NEWB or n3wb.
>>
>>2911714
Aw shit nigga l33tspeek is so 2002
>>
>>2910123
>>2910092
Heeeeeeeeeeey
I used to pop into Worlds Chat all the time. Didn't know it was still up. Played Active Worlds a lot more though when it came out.

Fuggin neat.
>>
>>2909657
He was the frontman of the worlds online mmorpg, pretty much the first mmorpg ever. You can find his promo videos still on the worlds website.
>>
>>2911315
>But your inferiority complex is embarrassing, too sad no one will mourne you for your insignificant existence? Or maybe you're just butthurt that a person with creativity was more appreciated than the average coding monkey?
i'm not an attention whore so i couldn't give a fuck whether my work gets appreciated or not. also code monkeys shouldn't get recognised because all they do is regurgitate code, but at least they do more real work than overrated flamboyant shitheads like david bowie. but hey if your idol is a coke-using hack more power to you, but don't assume everyone else has to like him

>You should know by now that people contribute to society in a lot of different ways, if you can't understand why David Bowie is more appreciated and well know than say, Renzo Piano or Richard Feynman that's your own problem.
more people know about bowie because they couldn't give a fuck about educating themselves and only pay attention to things that entertain them, rather than doing something intellectually productive. in other words most people are retarded. why should what the majority thinks affect me though? i guess you also love justin bieber since that's what the majority is into then.
>>
>>2911761
>worlds
>mmorpg
It's a 3D chat program. If it had been an mmo it would've beaten Meridian 59 by a year though.
>>
>>2909876
You're the ones with hurt feelings anon.
>>
>>2911826
>butthurt
>as fuck
>artfag
jesus are all stem people this childish or are you just 13
>>
File: sensible chuckle.jpg (103KB, 497x640px) Image search: [Google]
sensible chuckle.jpg
103KB, 497x640px
So look at this from their website

http://www.quanticdream.com/en/#!/en/category/omikron

>Indeed, OTNS was the precursory of popular games such as GTA: it was the first game to offer a total freedom of movement and action in an open world.
>Players could enter any building, talk to hundreds of NPCs, drive, shoot, fight etc… all in a high-quality real-time 3D graphics environment.

Not even on the fucking dreamcast were they the first to do it, much less THE FIRST game to do it at all.

>the collaboration of our studio with DAVID BOWIE who embodied several characters and became the first virtual actors to be featured in a video game.

Goddamn aren't these guys full of shit.
>>
>>2911878
>being this new
>>
>>2911878
>le i'm so much more mature than you are on le chans

Here's where you belong, gaylord: www.reddit.com
>>
>>2912473
So what was the first 3D game that let you do all that stuff? Body Harvest?
>>
>>2912473
>the collaboration of our studio with DAVID BOWIE who embodied several characters and became the first virtual actors to be featured in a video game.

He wasn't even the first celebrity to be in a video game, let alone actor.
>>
>>2909839
>oh sure, "he was working on a new album"
Blackstar was released five days ago on his 69th birthday.

>so are rick astley
Rick Astley is currently working on a new album.

>cindy lauper etc.
It's Cyndi, and yes, she's also working on a new album that's scheduled to release this year.
>>
>>2912473
David Cage was always full of shit, i really hate him because it's like a Peter Molyneux without being funny and without any kind of talent.

Omkiron seemed interesting in those years though.
>>
>>2909839
His album was actually made because of, and about his coming death and thus a work of art. Meanwhile you're an edgemaster on a forum for puppets
>>
>>2909856
I'm an electrical engineer and Bowie was an excellent artist you dumb fag
>>
File: 1448830943787.gif (107KB, 227x199px) Image search: [Google]
1448830943787.gif
107KB, 227x199px
>Whoa this thread is still alive, maybe there's actual discussion abou...
>People still replying to that tourettic idiot

/vr/, when will you learn?
>>
>>2913086
>>2913480
But why would he lie about that? What's in it for him?
>>
>>2913513
It's just pure narcissism, he probably believes it.
>>
>>2913506
This /vr/ needs to stop responding to bait.
>>
>>2909856
>Wanna know who gets shit done in the world?
No one. What exactly do you think it is that's getting done? Weavinng mass systems of oppression, wealth inequality, mass murder, hyperextending abilities of psychopathic leaders who want to run everything into the ground?
Where do you think you are? Why do you think this place even exists? Not just this board but the internet? Do you think you'd even be on here having discussions with people if it were locked into university STEM data collection? If you don't like art then you don't like life. It's literally the defining aspect of what loving life is. That's coming from a STEM major. I can't think of a single reason why I would even be STEM if art and the reasons for art did not exist.
>>
>>2909657
shit i use to play that, thanks for the big N
>>
loved this game.
>>
>>2913064
The first example that comes to my mind of 3D open world games is Hunter for the Amiga, but there's probably an earlier example somewhere. And even if you want more notable examples there's always Daggerfall, and even on the Dreamcast there's Shenmue.
>>
>>2913513
Let's be fair here, there's hardly any chance that David Cage wrote that.
>>
>>2913681
I meant specifically including the thing about being able to drive around so that wouldn't include Daggerfall but would certainly include Hunter (although the 3D can't really be called 'detailed')
>>
>>2913689
Well in Daggerfall you ride a horse. It's the equivalent to a vehicle in that setting
>>
>>2913691
Yeah I guess so
>>
I feel like I'm the only person who didn't care about Bowie. I never cared for him in the film's he was in and I never liked his music. Not to say he was bad or anything I just never got into him at all.
>>
>>2913948
he was mostly an 80s thing, newer generations don't even know who he is
>inb4 I'm 12 and I know who bowie is
>>
>>2909820
>long retired
Come back when your calc teacher had influence across the world
>>
>>2909657
the ost was GOAT
>>
>>2913959
>80s thing
No.
>>
Is this game good or is it just as retarded as everything else made by David Cage?
>>
>>2916087
Both - it's very...uh...experimental, and worth having a go of just for that.
>>
File: RZuhFdi.gif (20KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
RZuhFdi.gif
20KB, 320x240px
>>2913681
>The first example that comes to my mind of 3D open world games

Elite for the BBC Micro from 1984. Pretty mindblowing.
>>
http://www.pcgamer.com/omikron-the-nomad-soul-free-as-bowie-tribute/
>>
>>2916087
I downloaded it today because they released it free, and I was curious.

It's... interesting. There are some really nifty ideas at play, but the story is super goofy third wall breaking nonsense, and the controls are miserable. I'd probably be upset if I paid money for it, but as a free curiosity, it's pretty neat.
Thread posts: 89
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.