[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why did America choose to makes their version of the snes hideous?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 90
Thread images: 8

File: ngbbs4a225cd22a324 (1).jpg (113KB, 556x268px) Image search: [Google]
ngbbs4a225cd22a324 (1).jpg
113KB, 556x268px
Why did America choose to makes their version of the snes hideous?

I feel physically ill just looking at it. Can someone give me a legitimate explanation?
>>
It was so it could be more easily used as a place to set your soda can.
>>
I actually think the SFC looks too toylike.
>>
had both as a kid, found the us version to be prettier, especially the buttons on the us one were nicer
>>
>>2909387
this again. who gives a shit? same stuff inside, it could be a hairy nutsack and I'd still play it.
>>
>>2909457
>>/o/
>>
>>2909391
It's a fucking gaming console... It IS a toy, fucktard..
>>
>>2909458
This.

The only thing I dislike about the US SNES is that it's unnecessarily large. There's so much unused space inside. The SF is a very pretty system, but the US one is far from ugly. The gray/purple/lavender color scheme is classy as fuck.
>>
>>2909463
Please shitpost somewhere else.
>>
>>2909387

It looks a lot better imo. /fa/ agrees, too. We consider it the best looking console of all time!
>>
>>2909387
I think the snes has nice sweeping lines and contours whereas the Famicom is a little too rounded, it's like comparing the body style of a rolls royce to a slice of bread.
>>
I like the white/purple color scheme desu, the super famicom uses the dullest shades of gray.
>>
>>2909390
Kek
>>
T H I S
H
R
E
A G A I N
D
>>
>>2909387
America didn't choose as a country how a Japanese country designed an import product. Fucking retard.
>>
It's not like the Japanese version was much prettier.
>>
>>2909504
The unused space is for your soda can you fucktard.
>>
>>2909554
Kek
>>
>>2909387
>I feel physically ill just looking at it. Can someone give me a legitimate explanation?

Seek professional help, you might have some advanced neurological pathology
>>
>>2909554
According to 'murica, there's only one other country in the world, a distant land called "the UK".
>>
>>2909913
Weeboo haiku
>>
'Murica tends to like everything that's in-your-face. It needs to be big, it needs to be loud, it needs to be obvious. As one of my 'murican friends said to me, the people here "are not a subtle bunch".

Take Sega's 16-bit machine, for instance. Pictured here is the PAL version (top) and US version (bottom). The 'murican variant screams "Genesis" in HUGE LETTERS on the front so you know what it is (and was given a somewhat biblical name, because 'murica is still religious as fuck and that name alone counters your parents' argument that "video games are the devil"). It screams "HIGH DEFINITION GRAPHICS" is huge letters as well (and completely drops "stereo", as 'murica was still running on shitty composite-only TVs then and didn't pay much attention to that complicated high-tech feature). There's none of that bullshit in other regions.
>>
File: IMG_20160112_124250.jpg (180KB, 640x853px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160112_124250.jpg
180KB, 640x853px
>>2911450
derp, pic.
>>
>>2911450
why even take the time to type this out?
>>
>>2911452
You must be a slow typer. This takes what, 15 seconds top to type.
>>
>>2909554
>motherfuckers living like it's 5 centuries ago
according to the ones still not using the metric system
>>
>>2911480
Anon have you paid your god damn TV license this month? Don't want the ol' bill roustin' about m8 yeah?
>>
>>2911451
The overall design of the MD/ Gen still looks great. I like the red detail on the Genesis, but that logo is too large. MD looks kind of plain in comparison.
>>
>>2911450
>given a somewhat biblical name, because 'murica is still religious as fuck and that name alone counters your parents' argument that "video games are the devil"
This meme again? Besides, if you knew anything about bible thumpers, you'd know that using a biblical name or phrase on anything that isn't actually associated with the bible would likely repel them more than attract them. It would be seen as heresy.

The more common notion is that the term "Mega Drive" was already copyrighted by another company, which makes sense.

That said, I like both names. Mega Drive has this sort of mechanical, professional appeal to it, but it also sounds a little generic. Genesis is a little more swish, and "Sega Genesis" rolls off the tongue better than "Sega Mega Drive". Branding is a very important part of marketing here in the states, so it was probably a better idea for them to give it a name that firmly identified the brand. They didn't want people mistaking the Genesis for a Nintendo product.

There is also the notion that Genesis was used to symbolize a new beginning for Sega after the Master System wallowed in obscurity. To be fair, I didn't even know the Master System existed until years later, it was marketed very poorly.
>>
File: GenesisModels1.jpg (223KB, 800x690px) Image search: [Google]
GenesisModels1.jpg
223KB, 800x690px
>>2911530
It might be because it was the one I got as a child, but I always preferred the Genesis/MD 2 design. It was just sleek as fuck. In a time when Sega was trying to combat Nintendo by trying to be cooler and faster, this was the image they needed. The sweeping lines and mix of matte and gloss surfaces was gorgeous. I actually had no idea there was a "first model" until I saw one at a friend's house. I thought it was cool, but it just looked old and outdated to me. That may carry an appeal now, but back then, the Genesis 2 was the ideal they were striving for.
>>
>>2911510
What license? I don't have a tuner, I don't pay any TV license.
>>
File: haa2501shots.jpg (99KB, 800x373px) Image search: [Google]
haa2501shots.jpg
99KB, 800x373px
>>2911530
Get a JP unit?
>>
>>2911579
Didn't the genesis 1 have better audio than genesis 2? I could be talking out of my arse here, and I get that you're talking about aesthetics.

Aesthetically I prefer the genesis 1. Reminds me of 1980s cars.
>>
>>2911585
That's alot better. Liking the JP MD the best right there.
>>
File: zelda II map 2.jpg (469KB, 1300x1001px) Image search: [Google]
zelda II map 2.jpg
469KB, 1300x1001px
Ask Lance Barr, he did it: http://www.nintendojo.com/archives/interviews/view_item.php?1130801472

ND: The Super NES design is quite square compared to the Super Famicom. What was your motivation for going in that design direction?

LB: The Super Famicom was maybe okay for the market in Japan. For the US, I felt that it was too soft and had no edge. We were always looking at future modular components (even the NES had a connector on the bottom), so you had to design with the idea of stacking on top of other components. I though the Super Famicom didn't look good when stacked and even by itself, had a kind of "bag of bread" look.
>>
File: Super-Famicom-with-Satellaview.jpg (191KB, 800x533px) Image search: [Google]
Super-Famicom-with-Satellaview.jpg
191KB, 800x533px
>>2911743
Ain't he a fucking bitch.
>>
Just another case of America wanting to be different.
>>
>>2911450
baseless speculations of a eurotard: the post
>>
>>2909387
Americans need a place to put their soda can either onto or into on their consoles, same for the NES

Americans drink a lot of soda it's very important in their culture, the Japanese knew this would make it more succesful
>>
>>2911781
then why doesn't the euro version have a muslim semen dispenser?
>>
>>2911785
That wasn't a thing yet, the PS4 redesign for Europe might have one though
>>
>>2911749
Huh. I always liked the Super Famicom design, but seeing it from this angle, it does look kinda dumpy.
>>
>>2911749
Ain't he a fucking bitch.
>>
>>2911780
Turn on your nearest TV, watch a few ads - aren't they the in-your-face type? Visit some news channel site, get an autoplay video - isn't it in-your-face content as well? This post is far from just speculation.
>>
>>2909387
SUPPOSEDLY the NES was redesigned to look more like a VCR because of the console video game crash, and I would imagine the SNES was no exception.
>>
>>2909387
Cause being hideous was cool back then.
>>
>>2909554
If you're gonna false flag as an angry American don't say "wankers" because we never say that. In fact we associate that word with Brits.
>>
>>2911450
>>2911451
>'Murica tends to like everything that's in-your-face. It needs to be big, it needs to be loud, it needs to be obvious. As one of my 'murican friends said to me, the people here "are not a subtle bunch".

First of all "UNITED STATES". Say it with me "United" "States". Other than that, your statement is semi-ture

>Screams GENESIS on the front so you know what it is
Um, no shit?

>Given a Biblical name because "'merica" is still religious as fuck
Go READ genesis. The reason the name was used is because it's the first passage, the one about building the heavens and earth and giving it light. Sega was saying "This console is the first real console"

>"'murica" was still running on shitty composite only TVs
Lies

>There's none of that bullshit in other reasons
Suuuuuuuure there isn't.
>>
>>2912242
'Murica
>>
>>2912215
Why did Europe get the VCR design in that case? It did not experience the video game crash afaik.
>>
>>2912267
>Why did Europe get the VCR design in that case?

No idea, man. Maybe NoJ didn't think the childlike design of their Famicom would sell well in Europe.
>>
>>2911450
>>2912242
> The reason the name was used is because it's the first passage, the one about building the heavens and earth and giving it light. Sega was saying "This console is the first real console"
Actually, it was because in America "Mega Drive" was already used by someone else
>>
Compare the PAL and NTSC versions of Super Mario Kart.

PAL: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIOrFBcruDo

NTSC: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ALV9J4dzjw

Notice that the clock is noticeably slower in the PAL version, and the colors are faded compared to the NTSC version.
>>
>>2911450
this is easily the dumbest post I've ever seen.
>>
>>2912302
Nah. You're just used to your way of life and can't take a step back to see how weird you are.
>>
>>2912287
Yeah, so they had to choose a new name and they settled on Genesis because it was the first passage in the Bible and suggested that Sega was a whole new universe of entertainment.
>>
>>2912317
no, you're just a retard who believes asinine generalizations about a country of 350 million people with about 8 very distinct cultural regions, in addition to a very pronounced urban/rural cultural divide. You've probably never even been to the US, you just spout nonsense about it to try and be cool on some shitty website. fucking eurotrash makes me sick.
>>
>>2912298
>The clock is noticeably slower
I don't think that's how time works, plus the dude had better lap times on the NTSC version

>Colors are faded
Who's to say the youtube videos aren't faded?
>>
>>2912328

>Who's to say the YouTube videos aren't faded?

Because the video of the NTSC version was posted in 2011, while the video of PAL version was posted in 2013. Yet look at how much more colorful the NTSC version is.
>>
>>2912326
I've probably visited more places in the US that you've ever been too. And more places outside the US as well. But thanks, kid.
>>
>>2912298
>and the colors are faded compared to the NTSC version

That's just the fault of whatever way he pulled the video from an SNES. I can assure you blacks are fine on PAL.
>>
>>2912331
That proves nothing. That actually SUPPORTS my assertion that the capture method used may not be allowing for true color.
>>
Also notice that the sound is more muffled in the PAL version.
>>
Presented to you using the shittiest composite cables and the shittiest capture card out there.
>>
>>2912335
>kid
wow you really devastated me there, dumbfuck. I've driven all over the US, so I doubt your little claim about having visited more places than me. And you probably have been to more places outside of the US than me, which is why I don't go around making ignorant dumbfuck pronouncements about places I haven't been like you do. You just a made-up-bullshit talking little euroscum, "kid"
>>
>>2912339

OK, here are two videos uploaded in the same year.

PAL: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4a5X_Tyr5zQ

NTSC: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aed-Y9DIhbU
>>
>>2912340
There's a chance he got it from RF. SNES audio is fine whatever the region because the basic components are the exact same and audio isn't encoded in any way.
>>
>>2912354
Nice going picking an emulator recording.
>>
>>2912354
>Uploaded by two different people
DIFF UH RENT
CAP TOUR
METH ODDS
>>
>>2912317
That wasn't even me who responded, but other anon said it pretty well. There's no people on this planet weirder than the people of Europe.
>>
>>2912398

The SMK videos I posted were uploaded by the same person.
>>
>>2912408
Yeah, years apart allowing for the extreme chance that the capture methods were different.
>>
>>2909387

Because we didn't want a front loader
>>
>>2912428

OK, here's a video of a PAL version of Super Mario World, and an NTSC version of Super Mario World, side by side, by the same person.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sn7g21y7GvQ
>>
I hate when people personify nations.

Instead of:
>Why did America choose to makes their version of the snes hideous?

It should be:
> Why did the design team at Nintendo Corporation decide that this design was a better fit to sell more of their consoles for the North American market?
>>
You guys seriously don't know the answer to this question?

Nintendo of America originally marketed the NES to appear different then a regular top loader machine. Became of the stigma consoles had attached to them due to the video game market crash. Nintendo thought that the VCR style would help consumers differentiate the product from Atari.

Some of this design philosophy obviously carried over to the SNES era. Am I wrong? Correct me if I am.
>>
>>2912443
That doesn't look too bad actually, speedwise. I was expecting a lot worse. Eating the pokey segments is probably the most noticeable difference for me. The rest doesn't seem too different.

Those frame measurements are a bit weird. The frame count should be similar if not the same on both versions since PAL is fewer frames per second..right? The only conclusion I can think of is that they're based on whatever his camera is running at. Anyway, I approve.
>>
>>2912443
The only thing different there is the aspect ratio, refresh rate and consequent speed of the game.
>>
>>2912443
The colors look no different, but thank you for posting this video.
>>
>>2912470
You seriously didn't read the thread before posting?
>>
>>2912569
Not him but I didn't read a single post in this thread. The sum of knowledge is undoubtedly zero as usual. The answer to OPs question is that we like things big fat and ugly. Just look at our women.
>>
>>2912917
>Didn't read a single post
>Answered the question contained within my post
Uhhhhhhh
>>
I think both look good. The US model definitely looks a lot more "futuristic."

Does it really matter? They play the same games. Fucking autists these days man.
>>
>>2909463
I believe he means it looks like something from fisher price
>>
Japan knows the USA runs the world, hence the purple color scheme which represents royalty, meaning the USA is king of the world.

Europe got the colorful one because they Europeans are usually faggots who think a little too highly of their faggot selves.
>>
>>2912991
>faggots who think a little too highly of their faggot selves.
Donald Trump, is that you?
>>
File: claudiyo.jpg (543KB, 1000x1147px) Image search: [Google]
claudiyo.jpg
543KB, 1000x1147px
>not owning both US SNES and Super Famicom
>>
NTSC controller is best with those dual style buttons.
>>
>>2912940
>taking autim to the extreme. Which is normal levels here.

>>2912995
No. I'm a nigger who thinks too highly of himself. Guess which one?
>>
>>2913040
>Nigger
>Thinks too highly of himself

That could literally be anyone, Kanye.
Thread posts: 90
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.