[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Emulator Frontend Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 1

I would like everyone's insight on some of the good emulator frontends available right now.

It seems like many of these frontends are extremely customizable but lack really useful features, or have useful features but suck at everything else or have little things about them that are annoying.
>>
>>2907764
I would like to add:

Over the past few weeks I've pretty much collected all the mame roms/chds, console goodsets & no-intro collections (not sure which sets I'm going to use), and have been fiddling around with frontends. Basically I'm on a quest the find the least shittiest frontend. I'm treating this as a serious project, so once I am satisfied with my rom collection and frontend setup I will most likely be building a separate computer for this so I can use on a CRT, or possibly building an arcade cabinet setup with console controller inputs on the side to use with genuine controllers.

I was really intent on setting up a hyperspin machine but after fiddling around with it for a week or so I honestly don't care too much for all the visual bells and whistles and I find the flash animations and all of that kind of tacky. I'd much prefer a simple interface, with maybe a screen shot or short gif/video clip at the absolute most. I know I can configure hyperspin with a cleaner interface but it seems to have a lot of problems handling some rom collections (a number of other frontends I tried have this issue too). Maybe I'll come back to hyperspin eventually when I have enough patience.
>>
Frontend for what? To launch games on your PC from? Retroarch. To run on a MAME cab or some shit? Hyperspin.
>>
>>2907764
>I would like everyone's insight on some of the good emulator frontends available right now.

No

We get enough spam here as is without threads like these grabbing the attention of Retroarch shills. There's already an Emulation General to contain this cancer, so I suggest you post there instead of cluttering the board with another pointless shill circlejerk.
>>
>>2907764
What game is that above Cabal? 'Bitch?'
>>
>>2907774
Retroarch isn't really a true 'emulator frontend' per se... if you are using retroarch you are using its libretro cores, so for the sake of argument retroarch is essentially a multi-system emulator. (It is a libretro frontend, not an emulator frontend)

Retroarch/libretro is great and its cores emulate most systems well, but it is not the best choice for -every- system. A proper emulation frontend allows you to use a standalone emulator (or multiple emulators) for any particular console or even any particular game.

I'm open to using retroarch for sure but the default interface/gui is awful imo and a pain to configure for dozens of emulators. I know there are alternative frontends for libretro, so if you or anyone could suggest one of those that would be great.
>>
>>2907786
I'm not really interested in using retroarch specfically as its not really an 'emulator frontend' as I explained in >>2907803

I'm referring to stuff like hyperspin, rocketlauncher, attract, mgalaxy, retrofe, emulationstation, etc.
>>
>>2907786
What benefit would Retroarch earn from paying people to advertise their free product here?
>>
>>2907792
haha. I see it.

It's in hiragana. "Butasan"... er, Mr. Pig?
Probably this game:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Butasan
>>
>>2907792
That's written in Japanese kana man.

Literally chuckled though, I can see what you saw sort of.
>>
Use Retroarch. Not sure how you can shill for a free product anyway, it's relatively easy to use and extremely customizable, with really great support for filters if that's your thing. Yeah it's not really a front end but it has every relevant /vr/ emulator as a core so it's just as functional if not more so.
>>
Launchbox is fantastic
>>
>>2907838
Making that guy mad is the benefit.

It's all a conspiracy to make him upset.
>>
>>2907786
You can use those other frontends with RetroArch you know.
>>
>>2907928
Have you had any experience with importing goodsets or no-intro sets in it? How does it handle multiple regions etc?
>>
>>2907970
there is emulation station, but its shit (I cant get the scrapper working) and not very friendly to people who have no interest in editing XML files.
>>
>>2908405
They should just have premade xml files for all the most common consoles, and allow you to edit them in the software
>>
>>2907786

Go away, you crazy faggot. I swear, your nutty ass pops up in every goddamned thread even vaguely related to emulation.
>>
>>2907943

Of course. How could I have been so blind to the truth all these years?
>>
>>2907764
I like Emulationstation the most
easy to set up
no bullshit
wish there was an option to load the manuals as well as it does the covers though
that shit would be nice
>>
>>2907807

mGalaxy has nice customization but it's a bit finnicky to work with and sometimes crashes. When you get it going it goes pretty well at least.
>>
>>2910009
Do you know of a way to scrape only covers and not game information? I want to have the covers downloaded through the scraper, but I don't want all the info displayed.
>>
launchbox was great until the creator went full jew

i'm also looking forward to whatever the best frontend is now. hyperspin has issues running on jap locale.
>>
>>2907786
Faggot.
>>
>>2910454
you could let it scrape the info and then later on remove it from the file that it puts it in
That should clean it up at the least.
>>
wew
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.