[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Better than Metal Gear Solid What are some hilarious things

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 7

File: syphon filter.jpg (64KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
syphon filter.jpg
64KB, 500x500px
>Better than Metal Gear Solid

What are some hilarious things that magazines said back in the day? Like Croc being better than Mario 64 or similar.
>>
>FFVII
>movie-length ending
>>
Rise of the Robots received several 90%+ reviews.
>>
File: 40-winks-usa.jpg (168KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
40-winks-usa.jpg
168KB, 600x600px
did they get sued for this?
>>
>>2907712
Which in turn, made my brother think it was a good enough title to gift to myself. My god, what an awful game.
>>
Syphon Filter 2 didn't have any bullshit soap-opera stuff to distract from the gameplay. It had solid action / stealth sequences, I never felt cheated by the game for a stupid death, the third game was kind-of mediocre thanks to 9/11 but the first two were absolutely solid. The second game even had splitscreen multiplayer.
>>
>>2907706
Syphon filter 1 and 2 were great games at the time, i really dont get the hate. As is Mission Impossible on the ps1, MCKids and The Matrix
>>
>>2907725
They weren't bad, but many mags (in my country at least) were saying that it was better than MGS, which was clearly just marketing and money for favors. Even dumb kids like myself thought it was too obvious.
>>
>>2907725
Syphon Filter is one of those games that gets judged unfairly harsh due to the quality of the later games in the series.
>>
>>2907713
no, but the 64 version did get canceled.
>>
>>2907706
They gave bad ratings to all 2D games because they were "outdated". SOTN got a 30/100 on some PSX magazine I used to buy.

>>2907725
>Syphon filter 1 and 2 were great games at the time
Right.
>>2907725
>As is Mission Impossible on the ps1
Wrong.
>>
>>2907706
Syphon Filter has better shooting mechanics and more fun weapons. Graphics are highly debatable, as SF's are more cartoony, but the characters have visible eyes and blood decals.
>>
File: taser.gif (496KB, 500x393px) Image search: [Google]
taser.gif
496KB, 500x393px
dat taser
>>
>>2907706
I actually enjoyed SF over MGS
>>
>>2907791
>K3G4
>just an AK pistol
>kills enemies without effecting body armor wear

But yeah, that taser is awesome
>>
>>2907791
I'd argue SF has better stealth, too. Gabe can actually crouch and sneak around. The only way for Snake to really sneak is to crawl on his stomach. But SF doesn't give you much room for error if you're spotted on certain missions.
>>
>>2907770
>They gave bad ratings to all 2D games because they were "outdated"

This. It's crazy to go through old magazines and see them bash DoDonPachi and SNK fighting games.
>>
>>2907706
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9uThIBHBws
>>
File: JKvGNF6.gif (1MB, 499x280px) Image search: [Google]
JKvGNF6.gif
1MB, 499x280px
>>
>>2907770
Magazines were saying Mortal Kombat 4 was better than Street Fighter 3 because MK4 was 3D.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gs2FRlEA9Qs&list=PL56642954C53CB79D
If you are somehow unfamiliar with these videos, Flights of Fantasy (which was rebranded by Navgtr as Gaming in the Clinton Years) is a goldmine of hilariously ill-informed reviews.

>>2907706
The only good thing about Syphon Filter was setting enemies' balls on fire with tasers.
>>
File: Winback-n64uscover.jpg (49KB, 640x447px) Image search: [Google]
Winback-n64uscover.jpg
49KB, 640x447px
>>2907706
>Metal Gear Solid if it was on the N64

Its printed on the fucking box!!
>>
>>2908517
Really wish people would credit this game for the modern aiming system most third person shooters use these days instead of RE4 and Killswitch.
>>
>>2908516
>The only good thing about Syphon Filter
I personally thought Syphon Filter did plenty of things good, some of which were covered in this thread. Then again, I'm also one of those that preferred it over MGS in hindsight.
>>
>>2907706
I played both SF and MGS, and even back then when I had higher tolerance for low framerates I found SF almost intolerable. But I think SF would be the better game if it had a 144fps remake. The level design was far more interesting than MGS.
>>
>>2908557
metal gear solid is a stealth action game. this is a cover based shooter. I didn't mean to imply it was bad, but rather point out that this game was mis-advertised.
>>
File: 1447894990332.png (628KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
1447894990332.png
628KB, 900x900px
>>2908642
Wasn't trying to fight with you or anything. Just wish Winback got the recognition it deserved for being so ahead of its time with the aiming and cover system.
>>
>>2908642
Siphon Filter is more of a stealth game than MGS, because it has sections where you immediately game over if you're spotted.
>>
>>2908647
MGS has had an entire difficulty mode revolved around that since 2.
>>
>>2908653
>since 2
Did you not notice you're on /vr/?
>>
>>2908657
Totally irrelevant. MGS is still more of a stealth series than Syphon Filter because of your logic.
>>
>>2908653
Big Boss rank in MGS1 also requires that you don't get spotted or kill anyone.
>>
>>2908668
we're on /vr/, when people say MGS they mean the first Metal Gear Solid
>>
>>2908728
>I have no legitimate means of defending my argument, so I'm just gonna pretend to be a mod crybaby.
>>
>>2908741
NIGGA DO YOU LACK ALL READING COMPREHENSION OR DO YOU CHOOSE TO BE RETARDED?
>>
>>2907706
If we're talking about stealth, Syphon Filter was better than MGS
>>
>>2907706
>Syphon Filter
>Better than MGS
Kids say the darndest things. But even back then, that quote was cringeworthy.

SF was known as the poor man's MGS, inferior in just about every way. Personally, I got to the monastery and quite shortly after. The boring gameplay and long, dull stages with horrible pacing as well as the trite two dimensional characters was just too much.

There's a reason that the SF franchise is dead and it's legacy relegated to the dustbin. It's generic, forgettable and painfully average on the gameplay front.
>>
>>2907706

Why can't you enjoy both?
>>
>>2909563
I do feally. MGS shares the place of my favourite vidya with FFIX - those can never be topped - but sometimes it's nice to play some dumb and fun Syphon Filter too. Also, if we're talking about stealth games, you gotta mention Tenchu. Holy shit is it frustrating but it's got so much charm too.
>>
Briefing
---------------------------------------------------------------------
New-York: Finale
09/13 22:00
Operative: Gabe Logan

Teresa is dead...killed by Chance, who has secretly been an Agency
operative all along. He's completely covered in high-impact Kevlar
armor - even grenades won't pierce it, but you've got one goal now:
eliminate Chance.

Mission Objectives:

-Kill Chance
>>
Thx you i've found my childhood game thanks :D
>>
Except Syphon Filter has ten times better gameplay than MGS1.

Talking about holy ps1 trilogy, later games can get fucked.
>>
>>2907712
What?? By who? I was only reading Gamefan regularly when it came out and they called it one of the worst games ever made.
>>
>>2911718
I love playing around in the challenge modes in SF3
>>
>>2911242
Thanks for the spoilers asshole.
>>
>>2907706
These are the same fedora opinions you see posted frequently on /vr/.
>>
File: Capture.png (268KB, 337x293px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
268KB, 337x293px
>>2909169
>Kids say the darndest things. But even back then, that quote was cringeworthy.
I'm sorry people don't like thing you like.
>>
There's barely any action in MGS1 outside of the bossfights, it's pretty stupid to compare these games.

Both of them are good at things the other game doesn't even attempt to do. As far as sneaking goes, yes, both back then and now I enjoyed the mechanics more in Syphon Filter 1. The snow base mission where you can silently kill everyone or go loud and run like hell with the alarm blaring is awesome.
>>
>>2912817
Then, there's that medical facility mission in SF2, with cam jamming and traitor scientist hostage.
>>
Interesting just how divisive this game is.
>>
SF TRILOGY IS THE SUPREME THIRD PERSON SHOOTER TO THIS DAY.
>>
>>2909169
Weak bait.
>>
>>2907706
Some dude at kaybee toys back in the day trying to tell my dad that strider was awesome and it has 100s of levels. He didnt buy it.
>>
>>2911242
At first I took forever beating him but now I can do it in a few seconds
>>
Metal Gear Solid is better. I like the story for me is fantastic.
Thread posts: 55
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.