[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I just want to play pac man to practice for a local arcade. No

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 4

File: Pac-man[1].png (1KB, 224x288px) Image search: [Google]
Pac-man[1].png
1KB, 224x288px
I just want to play pac man to practice for a local arcade. No mobile version f2p fuckery, no shitty ass flash ports, just the midway arcade version of pac man. What's the best way to go about this?
>>
mame
>>
>>2907179

Thanks. Got any tips for gitting gud?
>>
>>2907197
https://www.google.com/webhp?hl=en#hl=en&q=how+to+get+good+at+pacman
cmon man
>>
>>2907254

I'm disappointed you think I'm retarded enough to not google this. Past the patterns and ghost AI, is what I'm asking.
>>
>>2907309
That's literally all there is to Pac-Man. If you study hard enough and memorize you can play for 3 hours on 25 cents and crash it. That's why there's Ms Pac-Man which actually has some randomization so skill comes into play.
>>
>>2907314

Well shit, no kidding. I just got pissed because I lost all my lives on the first stage in an arcade and wanted to git gud. Since I made the thread I've watched a video, read an article on the ghost AI, and now I can consistently get to the 4th stage without dying
>>
>>2907319
Yeah if you have an arcade scene where you're at and there's a Pac-Man machine you can definitely get some respect pretty easy with honestly not all THAT much practice as long as you know the theory. There's huge pop culture signifigance to Pac-Man too you could get about whatever vintage article of clothing or accessory you wanted to show your connection to the machine.

It was pretty great back in the day to draw a crowd to spectate your arcade skills (90s fighters for me). I briefly dabbled in it during this recent return of interest but it was nothing like the heyday and I've been told the arcade in the mall closed at the end of the year too - which is a shame because my 2-year-old really loved it.
>>
File: 1447410576717.jpg (42KB, 600x476px) Image search: [Google]
1447410576717.jpg
42KB, 600x476px
>>2907331

Unfortunately it's less an arcade scene and just a dave and busters. But hey I'll take what I can get. DDR use to be my thing, but they swapped out the machine for some shitty "pump it up" knockoff. Use to really miss the crowds that pulled in, but whatever.

Daaamn dude. Really blows when an arcade shuts down. Had 3 seperate ones go in my area, each with their own DDR machine. Extreme, Maxx, Supernova 2... It's a real shame. At least I have dave and busters to drown my nostolgia in shitty overpriced booze and pac man.
>>
>midway
Triggered. It's a Namco game. Midway only licensed it.
>>
>>2907341

There're a fucking million namco versions you ding dong, everyone knows what you're talking about when you say the midway cabinet release.
>>
File: wmmt2_small.jpg (85KB, 286x537px) Image search: [Google]
wmmt2_small.jpg
85KB, 286x537px
>>2907331
>>2907336
My last arcade game was Wangan Midnight Maximum Tune 2?. people knew you were legit when you had beat extra story mode.
>>
Billy Mitchell? Y-you can time travel?
>>
>>2907336
>>2907351
Yeah you guys are just a bit younger than I am and I think that the dance game boom would have been even more glorious to be an arcade celebrity during since it's so physical. Probably got the bitches wetter than dat graphic violence of the fighting game era but there actually were zero arcades in my area when DDR was hot.
>>
>>2907462
wmmt is a rassin game.

DDR is based though.

watched the arcades die as I grew up
im a kouki 82 model.
>>
>>2907331
My dad sold those jeans in his store back in the day.
>>
>>2907314
>If you study hard enough and memorize you can play for 3 hours on 25 cents and crash it.
What are you talking about. I've never heard of this. I know the defacto end of the game occurs on or after the 256th board, maybe that's what you're referring to? But that's not really a 'crash' and it has nothing to do with time played AFAIK.

>>2907314
>That's why there's Ms Pac-Man which actually has some randomization so skill comes into play.
I'm pretty sure that's not really 'why' Ms. Pacman was invented. It seems like you're implying skill is out of the question for the original, simply because ways exist to minimize the need for skill. Guess what, if you don't cheese the original by lamely repeating the same pattern over and over, there's absolutely, and quite obviously I might add so I'm surprised I would even need to point this out to anyone, no reason why skill can't be a deciding factor in the game.

Isn't it true Billy Mitchel achieved his record setting game without the use of patterns at all? I thought I read that once.

And besides, even if one does use patterns, if you take that road to its ultimate end that's still impressive in its own right and requires its own kind of skill. Good luck repeating the same pattern or selection of different patterns basically 256 times in a row, and performing it flawlessly each time. Just imagine how many control-stick inputs involved in that. It would take hours to pull off successfully, and it would certainly require many hundreds more hours of practice to even be capable of doing so. And that wouldn't be the case if there was no skill involved.
>>
>>2909435
The game ends because the sound effects superimpose on level 256. You actually have a little time on the board until Inky comes out.
>>
>>2907571

Sorry to hear your dad had to work at a mall...
>>
>>2909435
>that's not really a 'crash'
It absolutely is

>if you don't cheese the original by lamely repeating the same pattern over and over
and you wouldn't why?

>It would take hours to pull off successfully
Yeah, about 3

What is even the point of your post?
>>
>>2909475
>Yeah, about 3
No I thought it was more like 6. That's what I recall reading, years ago, in some article about Billy Mitchel.

If it was 3 that would mean about 85 boards an hour. That would be less than 1 minute per board. I'm kinda doubting that.

>>2909475
>and you wouldn't why?
>why not cheese the whole game
Seriously? Why even play the game then? You're must be one of those people who claims FF6 is fundamentally, fatally flawed and is a bad game because part of its design includes a few specific ways to trivialize much of the challenge of the battle system, even though there is absolutely no requirement to take advantage of that. But still, just because they exist, means the whole game is bad by default.

And also, it's stupid and teenage-fedora-tier -- sorry, not to meme but it really is the best way to describe it -- to think that the primary aspect to judge a game by and the main source of enjoyment in a game, is its difficulty.
>>2907314
>hat's why there's Ms Pac-Man which actually has some randomization so skill comes into play.
Well I guess my point would be that there's some flaws in this statement. Don't take it personally.
>>
>>2907176
>What's the best way to go about this?
Well, a good start is knowing that every ghost A.I is unique and they all have their own strategy.

Each ghost had a primary characteristic derived from the Japanese translation of their name. Blinky was the straightforward one, relentlessly pursuing you to the ends of the earth (which were, admittedly, just the walls of a small maze), but the others were more interesting. Inky based his movements on Blinky's, picking spots that would compliment him when Pac-Man was on the run. Pinky, meanwhile, was programmed to think ahead, always moving to where he predicted Pac-Man would be.

Lastly, Clyde was... well, Clyde wasn't very bright. He'd move to attack and then, er, decide not to. Fittingly, his Japanese name translated to "the one who lags behind."
>>
>>2907179
This. Why did anyone respond after this bumping a pointless threaD? Faggots.
>>
>>2911240
Is this your first day on the internet? Do you not understand how discussion boards work?
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.