[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vip /vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Home]
4Archive logo
Definitive version thread
If images are not shown try to refresh the page. If you like this website, please disable any AdBlock software!

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 5
What's the best way to play Chrono Trigger? Are any of the ports better than the SNES version?
>>
DS has new content and the cutscenes from the PSX version with no shitty loadtimes, but you gotta play it on a tiny ass screen
>>
>>2907127
But the game looks so nice and crisp on that small screen.
>>
The rest of you guys can correct me if I'm wrong, but the DS version only has a single extra sidequest... and that sidequest happens to be zero fun, a huge pain in the ass, with relatively pointless rewards.
>>
>>2907131
Yeah, but it's on a handheld (so you can easily play it on the toilet), and it has those beautiful cutscenes.

It's a nice package.
>>
>>2907131
It's three new "sidequests": Arena of the Ages, Lost Sanctum, and Dimensional Vortex.

The iOS/Android port discards the Arena, but keeps the other two.

Best version would be the DS one by far, followed by maybe mobile/SNES, then PSX. PSX has awful load times.
>>
>>2907149
>not using the drastic emu and being able to carry around the ds library in your pocket
>>
>>2907149
Is the DS version really that much better? I mean there's some extra shit to do, but I felt it just padded out the game too much and made it too long.
>>
>>2907206

Much better translation. Also the FMVs were pretty cool.
>>
People who play the original on SNES or PSX will enjoy the game more than those who are exposed to the horrible fanfiction sidequest on the DS port. This is a scientific fact.
>>
File: 1384646224111.png (17 KB, 500x237) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1384646224111.png
17 KB, 500x237
>>2907097
Do yo preffer playing on a TV or on a shitty and tiny screen?

I was just trying Ps1 Chrono Trigger right now, the loading times are hell but it looks so damn good.
>>
>>2907206
Improved translation, the FMV scenes from the PS1 version but without the horrid load times.
Also it's portable.
The arena is ok I guess.

>>2907242
I played it on the SNES, some less than stellar optional side content does not ruin an otherwise great port.

>>2907262
The DS screen is crystal clear, my old CRT was really not. Besides, it's not like you're not holding that screen up to your face.
>>
I plan on playing through the Phantasy Star series. Which ports are the best?

Should I just go straight to the PS2 remakes?
>>
>>2908716
remakes are too different, no sense in comparing them
>>
File: 1452489225226.gif (551 KB, 245x163) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1452489225226.gif
551 KB, 245x163
>>2907097
I really can't understand how anything but the original can be a "definitive version".
>>
>>2907242

I just ignore that bullshit (and you're right- it _is_ fanfiction...Just like all of Chrono Cross).
>>
>>2907242
Honestly, I never even ran into the sidequests. Arena was unexpectedly fun though.
>>
>>2908716
None of the ports really did them due justice.

They're a curiosity for after the original though. Don't even touch the GBA collection either.
>>
How about that Grandia 2 PC release? Is it worth getting?
>>
>>2908792
Sure, it's 30 fps though
>>
>>2908771

Oh, lots of scenarios for that one.

1. Localization fuckups. EXAMPLE- Final Fantasy IV

2. The original was rushed, but we got the fixes. EXAMPLE- Pokemon Red/Blue

3. The original was rushed, but we didn't get the fixes, they just re-released a Jap-only superior version. EXAMPLE- Brigandine Grand Edition

4. The original was great, but could have been so much more. So we got a port/remake. EXAMPLE- Lunar: Silver Star Story: Complete

5. The original was great, but could have been so much more. So we _didn't_ get a port/remake. EXAMPLE: Tales of Destiny R: Director's Cut (NOT RETROOO! REEEEEE! REEEEEEEEEE!)
>>
>>2908685
I have a shitty CRT and it looks great, in any TV you're gonna see it better than in the DS.
>>
On the subject of 'definitive versions'.

I've been playing Sonic 1 Android on a GPD XD, and I'm ready to say that either that or the 3D classics version is the definitive one.

Just passing that on.
>>
>>2907127
The new content is classic SE trash add ons that don't flow with the games themselves. It's on the shit level of the ff4 advance content.
>>
>>2908798
>NOT RETROOO! REEEEEE! REEEEEEEEEE!

What the fuck, you on drugs or something?
>>
>>2907127
Don't forget the 13th bonus ending sets up the plot for Chrono Cross
>>
>>2907206
>Is the DS version really that much better?

Bestiary, FMVs, portable, and a better translation.

I think the aspect ratio got fucked and the screen is like 16 pixels smaller but those are all the downsides. Yeah, the extra dungeon sucks, but it is optional.
>>
Depends on what you're looking for, if you want
>Woolsey translation
SNES,
>more accurate if slightly drier translation
DS,
>Woolsey translation and those nice anime FMVs
PSX, but keep in mind the loading time is shit
>>
>>2907127
Or on emulator or DSi/3DS XL
>>
>>2907127
>>2907097
Can someone explain to my why the fuck the PSX version was so horrible? I think I've beaten this game at least 2-3 times on each port, but what the hell was with the PSX one? DId they drop the sound quality for the SFX from 16 to 8-bit or something? Shit was super beepy-squeeky.

Also, fuck the cutscenes they added. Shit was unnecessary and you had to watch the scene twice, once in and out of cutscene.
>>
>>2914034
PSX version has 5 second loading times every time you enter the menu or a battle starts up. It pretty much makes the game twice as long.
>>
>>2907097
SNES version is the definitive veriosn, but the DS version is good. I even think the PS1 version excellent. If you are an ADHD kiddie like most of this board, then maybe skip the PS1 version.
>>
>>2914192
Not that. I mean the sound quality issue. How did porting a 16-bit game to a 32-bit system give us 8-bit SFX?
>>
I was just recently gifted a cartridge of chrono trigger: crimson echoes for snes. Its some kind of romhack / fanmade / homebrew type thing. Is it any good? I have never played the original mind you. Gonna sit down and play it in the next day or so
>>
>>2914678
Considering how it's a direct sequel to Chrono Trigger, you might ought to wait a bit.
>>
The only major issues I have with the DS version is the translation while more accurate to the original Japanese script lacks a lot of character as a result. Now everyone talks very formal and boring (Just like Japan)

The 2nd problem is the font for the text in the DS version is TERRIBLE. Considering it's on a small screen just adds to the pain.

Just enjoy the original SNES one. The FMVs are great on the PSX/DS version but it's like......... 8 of them and they are rather short, you can watch EVERY one of them on Youtube in less then 6 minutes
>>
>>2915778
Is it just me or do all ds jrpgs use that same tiny unreadable font?
>>
>>2915789
The original font was just fine and BIGGER on the SNES/PSX version

I dunno why they can't just use that again, it's like some kind of license or patent got in the way
>>
>>2915778
I didn't have any issues reading the text.
>>
File: 1259138593109.jpg (30 KB, 400x300) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1259138593109.jpg
30 KB, 400x300
>>2907097
Play the SNES version. Then, when you go to replay it, play the DS version.
>>
>>2915809
> I dunno why they can't just use that again
>DS resolution: 256x192
>SNES resolution: 256x224
>PSX resoluion: 320x240
No wonder why.
>>
>>2909080
Sonic is a bit iffy due to just how big the hacking scene actually is, and sometimes a hack just does it better. Sonic 3 Complete for example.

FFVI is arguably this case too after Square fucked up every release in some way.
>>
>>2914678
Get Flames of Eternity, it's the continuation of the project.

Don't ask me why people don't know. Probably because it's kept secret from Square's C&D stick on purpose.
>>
>>2907152
>not using a flash cart and actually carrying around the DS library in your pocket.
>>
>>2918615
That would be because the original devs apparently weren't happy over some changes, but when these things happen what are you going to do?
>>
>>2907097
In the DS version, you can take the Animated parts out by to to options. It just becomes a copy of the SNES game after that.
Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 5
Thread DB ID: 430203

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vip /vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Home]

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vip /vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the shown content originated from that site. This means that 4Archive shows their content, archived. If you need information for a Poster - contact them.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content, then use the post's [Report] link! If a post is not removed within 24h contact me at [email protected] with the post's information.