[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Definitive version thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 5

File: chronotrigger-sfcc[1].jpg (69KB, 550x371px) Image search: [Google]
chronotrigger-sfcc[1].jpg
69KB, 550x371px
What's the best way to play Chrono Trigger? Are any of the ports better than the SNES version?
>>
DS has new content and the cutscenes from the PSX version with no shitty loadtimes, but you gotta play it on a tiny ass screen
>>
>>2907127
But the game looks so nice and crisp on that small screen.
>>
The rest of you guys can correct me if I'm wrong, but the DS version only has a single extra sidequest... and that sidequest happens to be zero fun, a huge pain in the ass, with relatively pointless rewards.
>>
>>2907131
Yeah, but it's on a handheld (so you can easily play it on the toilet), and it has those beautiful cutscenes.

It's a nice package.
>>
>>2907131
It's three new "sidequests": Arena of the Ages, Lost Sanctum, and Dimensional Vortex.

The iOS/Android port discards the Arena, but keeps the other two.

Best version would be the DS one by far, followed by maybe mobile/SNES, then PSX. PSX has awful load times.
>>
>>2907149
>not using the drastic emu and being able to carry around the ds library in your pocket
>>
>>2907149
Is the DS version really that much better? I mean there's some extra shit to do, but I felt it just padded out the game too much and made it too long.
>>
>>2907206

Much better translation. Also the FMVs were pretty cool.
>>
People who play the original on SNES or PSX will enjoy the game more than those who are exposed to the horrible fanfiction sidequest on the DS port. This is a scientific fact.
>>
File: 1384646224111.png (17KB, 500x237px) Image search: [Google]
1384646224111.png
17KB, 500x237px
>>2907097
Do yo preffer playing on a TV or on a shitty and tiny screen?

I was just trying Ps1 Chrono Trigger right now, the loading times are hell but it looks so damn good.
>>
>>2907206
Improved translation, the FMV scenes from the PS1 version but without the horrid load times.
Also it's portable.
The arena is ok I guess.

>>2907242
I played it on the SNES, some less than stellar optional side content does not ruin an otherwise great port.

>>2907262
The DS screen is crystal clear, my old CRT was really not. Besides, it's not like you're not holding that screen up to your face.
>>
I plan on playing through the Phantasy Star series. Which ports are the best?

Should I just go straight to the PS2 remakes?
>>
>>2908716
remakes are too different, no sense in comparing them
>>
File: 1452489225226.gif (551KB, 245x163px) Image search: [Google]
1452489225226.gif
551KB, 245x163px
>>2907097
I really can't understand how anything but the original can be a "definitive version".
>>
>>2907242

I just ignore that bullshit (and you're right- it _is_ fanfiction...Just like all of Chrono Cross).
>>
>>2907242
Honestly, I never even ran into the sidequests. Arena was unexpectedly fun though.
>>
>>2908716
None of the ports really did them due justice.

They're a curiosity for after the original though. Don't even touch the GBA collection either.
>>
How about that Grandia 2 PC release? Is it worth getting?
>>
>>2908792
Sure, it's 30 fps though
>>
>>2908771

Oh, lots of scenarios for that one.

1. Localization fuckups. EXAMPLE- Final Fantasy IV

2. The original was rushed, but we got the fixes. EXAMPLE- Pokemon Red/Blue

3. The original was rushed, but we didn't get the fixes, they just re-released a Jap-only superior version. EXAMPLE- Brigandine Grand Edition

4. The original was great, but could have been so much more. So we got a port/remake. EXAMPLE- Lunar: Silver Star Story: Complete

5. The original was great, but could have been so much more. So we _didn't_ get a port/remake. EXAMPLE: Tales of Destiny R: Director's Cut (NOT RETROOO! REEEEEE! REEEEEEEEEE!)
>>
>>2908685
I have a shitty CRT and it looks great, in any TV you're gonna see it better than in the DS.
>>
On the subject of 'definitive versions'.

I've been playing Sonic 1 Android on a GPD XD, and I'm ready to say that either that or the 3D classics version is the definitive one.

Just passing that on.
>>
>>2907127
The new content is classic SE trash add ons that don't flow with the games themselves. It's on the shit level of the ff4 advance content.
>>
>>2908798
>NOT RETROOO! REEEEEE! REEEEEEEEEE!

What the fuck, you on drugs or something?
>>
>>2907127
Don't forget the 13th bonus ending sets up the plot for Chrono Cross
>>
>>2907206
>Is the DS version really that much better?

Bestiary, FMVs, portable, and a better translation.

I think the aspect ratio got fucked and the screen is like 16 pixels smaller but those are all the downsides. Yeah, the extra dungeon sucks, but it is optional.
>>
Depends on what you're looking for, if you want
>Woolsey translation
SNES,
>more accurate if slightly drier translation
DS,
>Woolsey translation and those nice anime FMVs
PSX, but keep in mind the loading time is shit
>>
>>2907127
Or on emulator or DSi/3DS XL
>>
>>2907127
>>2907097
Can someone explain to my why the fuck the PSX version was so horrible? I think I've beaten this game at least 2-3 times on each port, but what the hell was with the PSX one? DId they drop the sound quality for the SFX from 16 to 8-bit or something? Shit was super beepy-squeeky.

Also, fuck the cutscenes they added. Shit was unnecessary and you had to watch the scene twice, once in and out of cutscene.
>>
>>2914034
PSX version has 5 second loading times every time you enter the menu or a battle starts up. It pretty much makes the game twice as long.
>>
>>2907097
SNES version is the definitive veriosn, but the DS version is good. I even think the PS1 version excellent. If you are an ADHD kiddie like most of this board, then maybe skip the PS1 version.
>>
>>2914192
Not that. I mean the sound quality issue. How did porting a 16-bit game to a 32-bit system give us 8-bit SFX?
>>
I was just recently gifted a cartridge of chrono trigger: crimson echoes for snes. Its some kind of romhack / fanmade / homebrew type thing. Is it any good? I have never played the original mind you. Gonna sit down and play it in the next day or so
>>
>>2914678
Considering how it's a direct sequel to Chrono Trigger, you might ought to wait a bit.
>>
The only major issues I have with the DS version is the translation while more accurate to the original Japanese script lacks a lot of character as a result. Now everyone talks very formal and boring (Just like Japan)

The 2nd problem is the font for the text in the DS version is TERRIBLE. Considering it's on a small screen just adds to the pain.

Just enjoy the original SNES one. The FMVs are great on the PSX/DS version but it's like......... 8 of them and they are rather short, you can watch EVERY one of them on Youtube in less then 6 minutes
>>
>>2915778
Is it just me or do all ds jrpgs use that same tiny unreadable font?
>>
>>2915789
The original font was just fine and BIGGER on the SNES/PSX version

I dunno why they can't just use that again, it's like some kind of license or patent got in the way
>>
>>2915778
I didn't have any issues reading the text.
>>
File: 1259138593109.jpg (30KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
1259138593109.jpg
30KB, 400x300px
>>2907097
Play the SNES version. Then, when you go to replay it, play the DS version.
>>
>>2915809
> I dunno why they can't just use that again
>DS resolution: 256x192
>SNES resolution: 256x224
>PSX resoluion: 320x240
No wonder why.
>>
>>2909080
Sonic is a bit iffy due to just how big the hacking scene actually is, and sometimes a hack just does it better. Sonic 3 Complete for example.

FFVI is arguably this case too after Square fucked up every release in some way.
>>
>>2914678
Get Flames of Eternity, it's the continuation of the project.

Don't ask me why people don't know. Probably because it's kept secret from Square's C&D stick on purpose.
>>
>>2907152
>not using a flash cart and actually carrying around the DS library in your pocket.
>>
>>2918615
That would be because the original devs apparently weren't happy over some changes, but when these things happen what are you going to do?
>>
>>2907097
In the DS version, you can take the Animated parts out by to to options. It just becomes a copy of the SNES game after that.
Thread posts: 46
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.