[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How can you change the refresh rate on a CRT? My Panasonic CRT

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2

File: image.jpg (100KB, 500x394px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
100KB, 500x394px
How can you change the refresh rate on a CRT? My Panasonic CRT has been flickering, and it really drives me insane. I've heard that changing the refresh rate helps, but I'm not sure how to do it.
>>
>>2906530
15kHz CRTs as popular on /vr/ are typically fixed refresh rate. Consoles are also fixed refresh rate. PC monitor CRTs are variable refresh rate, and some games are variable frame rate, so for those you can change your refresh rate in the graphics card settings. For emulated or fixed framerate games changing the refresh rate will destroy motion quality, so you have to deal with the flicker.

Note that flicker is literally the only way to get high motion quality at low latency from 60fps content. 60fps isn't "high framerate", it's the bare minimum acceptable.
>>
>>2906546
>>2906546
That really sucks. On a semi-related note, is there any way to upscale the NES's composite video? The best quality I can get on my CRT is component, no s-video. Is there any composite to component converter I could use to make it look somewhat better?

I know people will shit on me for saying that I want to use a converter, but it looks horrible on my CRT for reason.
>>
>>2906558
No, NES cannot output component or RGB, and any converter will just be the same thing as is already in the CRT. You need something like the NESRGB mod (RGB can be converted to component with no perceptible lag or quality loss).

Or just emulate and avoid all this trouble (easiest with a PC monitor CRT, which looks better than a 15kHz CRT anyway).
>>
>>2906562
Is there any other alternative to installing an RGB mod? It seems like a huge hassle.
>>
>>2906574
Retroarch, Linux KMS or GPU hard-sync 0, frame delay as high as possible, PC monitor CRT, sharp-bilinear shader. Beautiful sharp pixels (as intended by Nintendo), latency similar to original hardware, perfect motion quality.
>>
>>2906546
>Consoles are also fixed refresh rate
Nope. Consoles sync with TV.
>>
>>2906579
False. TVs sync with consoles. The console has no awareness of the TV, eg. you can unplug the TV and the game will keep running with correct timing.

TVs are not strictly 100% fixed (eg. European TVs often sync to both 50Hz and 60Hz), but they are usually designed for use at one refresh rate.
>>
>>2906578
As intended by Nintendo? How fucking autistic are you?
>>
File: 1449081164044.jpg (495KB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1449081164044.jpg
495KB, 1920x1200px
>>2906592
Nintendo always defaults to sharp pixels when showing these games (see also box art, calendars, etc.). We had a whole thread on this recently that concluded sharp pixels were intended by many devs.
>>
>>2906603
Not you again.
>>
>>2906603
Oh for fuck sake I thought you'd left already.
>>
Refresh rate is determined by the console's video signal output. Every console has a slightly different refresh rate, almost none are exactly 60Hz or 59.95Hz. You can't change their refresh rate without modifying their hardware.

If you're using a PC to output to the CRT, the video card will output based on a modeline, which you can modify to output at a different rate, though care will have to be taken to stay within that CRT's scan rate limits.
>>
>>2906603
Why not just say "I love it that way"? I love raw pixels. Especially in PC-98 games.
>>
>>2906729
Because he wants his opinion to be validated by insisting that he is objectively "right."
>>
>>2906579
>Consoles sync with TV.
top kek 3rd world kid.
Not to pick on your poor English but why do we have so many people who know so little about games and so little about English posting the last few days?
>>
>>2906603
>I concluded that my newfag views are intentional

ftfy
>>
>>2906546
Well, you could theoretically show an emulated 60 Hz game at 120 Hz without destroying motion quality by showing each frame twice, or at least I think so, I haven't tried.
>>
>>2908037
You can't, you get a trailing ghost image if you try that, generated by the same mechanism as sample-and-hold blur.
>>
>>2908037
>>2908054
ITT: kids take words they hurrrd and put them together to make shitposts.
>>
>>2908510
Try it (with a CRT obviously). RetroArch supports frame-doubling, by increasing the swap interval in the video config.
>>
>>2908638
>more wurds i hurdz
>>
Don't change shit. CRTs are trash fro our old games moron.
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.