[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Which are some baffling decisions that happened for no good reason?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 7

File: image.jpg (49KB, 500x400px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
49KB, 500x400px
Which are some baffling decisions that happened for no good reason?

Like the American SNES design, I mean, what the hell, not aggressive enough for NoA's higher ups?
>>
>>2905797
Well, I heard that NoA made this design so americans couldn't put cola on units - NESes were often broken because of cola.
Not sure if it's just a joke about americans though.
>>
>>2905819
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYjgHLFZMa0
The first customer
>>
Presumably because the NES redesign worked so well for them. The SFC looks nice too but I honestly really like the American SNES. Not sure why some people feel so strongly about it

>>2905819
This makes sense but it's not like the other SNES design is flat enough to put drinks on either.
>>
Changing Sonic CD's music for the US always perplexed me. I actually like the US soundtrack, but the Japanese one is so fucking good it would have never crossed my mind to change it to begin with.
>>
>>2905893
I'm still confused why they felt the change was needed
>>
>>2905819
That honestly doesn't make any sense though. the original SFC design is sloped and you can't put drinks on it anyway. And it's a toploader, which would make people shy away regardless.

With the NES, it was a frontloader and the top was perfectly flat and barren, so it wasn't unreasonable for people to put stuff on top.
>>
File: SNES-StarFox2box-vgo-1.jpg (852KB, 2152x1500px) Image search: [Google]
SNES-StarFox2box-vgo-1.jpg
852KB, 2152x1500px
I still can't understand what the fuck went through Miyamotos head.
>>2905819
Looks more like they made it more square so they COULD put cola on it as they were used to with the NES.
>>
>>2905797
Changing excellent Japanese artwork and packaging for games, to some shit tier Western analog. Getting a Jap import game, you could tell they gave a shit, full color manuals, beautiful cover art (generally) and extras before giving extras was a thing in the West. SNK generally kept their Jap artwork intact for Western Neo Geo releases atleast.
>>
i heard that they made the snes more blocky and larger than the smooth curved super famicom in order to make it harder to insert into your rectum
>>
>>2905957
Also making Rare delay, rework, and port Dinosaur Planet to Gamecube to shoehorn StarFox simply because one of the two protagonists looked like Fox.
>>
>>2905918
specially as they left the past stages' music unchanged
>>
>>2905995
Yeah some of his decisions are George Lucas tier.
>>
>>2905834
People feel strongly because it is absolutely hideous.
>>
File: 1389018422131.png (589KB, 1010x707px) Image search: [Google]
1389018422131.png
589KB, 1010x707px
/vr/ cloud is objectively superior in all respects. I will never understand how or who thought these changes were an improvement.
>>
>>2905797
The PC Engine to TurboGrafx-16 changes are even more horrendous. The system got twice as big. It's laughable.

Also, Sega should've merged with Bandai and supported the NGPC.
>>
>>2906058
>The system got twice as big.
wat
>>
Anyone else actually like both the SFC and american SNES?

I like the SFC because it's simply nice looking and the colored buttons on the controller, but I also like the angular design of the SNES, and unlike the NES and the Famicom, the american SNES isn't really bigger than the SFC, just shaped differently. I also like the combination of light grey and purple. More consoles should use purple in their designs.
>>
Did the US SNESes also look piss stained after a few years?
>>
>>2906052
What went wrong? They even made him edgy
>>
>>2905797
>baffling decisions that happened for no good reason?
>>
>>2906071
Most of them, yes. Mine's not too bad off, but it's definitely noticeable.
>>
File: 3dsanic.jpg (130KB, 748x700px) Image search: [Google]
3dsanic.jpg
130KB, 748x700px
>>2906106
Sonic going in and then mostly staying in 3D. It should have been reverted to the true formula after the first few games showed 3D doesn't work for him.
>>
File: 17f1umi648jj9jpg.jpg (29KB, 620x349px) Image search: [Google]
17f1umi648jj9jpg.jpg
29KB, 620x349px
Pic related, best SNES.
>>
>>2906058
Sega looked like they wanted to merge with Microsoft until Sammy gave them the old Pachinko screwjob.
>>
>>2906074
>edgy
Please, tell me what they did to Cloud with the intention of shocking people. Stop misusing buzzwords.
>>
>>2906167
Yeah I suppose he's really more emo.
>>
>>2905996
>specially as they left the past stages' music unchanged

They left those like that because they were tracker tunes, changing them would require new music written on a synth specifically for the console, plus the dev tools to put the tunes in the format, and so on.

It wasn't just a case of swapping the redbook audio and calling it a day.
>>
>>2906058
>Also, Sega should've merged with Bandai and supported the NGPC.

They actually wanted to in the mid 90s, Bandai was doing really bad at the time and a merger with Sega was proposed and almost went through. They bailed out in the last second.
>>
>>2906071
Only if you left them in harsh lighting.
>>
>>2906061
The SNES is about twice as tall as the SFC, have you actually ever seen one?
>>
>>2906503

I have and yes, SNES is a bit more taller especially because of the cart slot prominence, but in diameter they're more or less the same size. It's not as abysmal as the difference between the FC and the NES sizes.
>>
>>2905995

That's not really a baffling decision. They thought they would make more money by putting the Star Fox name on it. They couldn't see into the future that it would later be reviled.
>>
>>2906052

I just noticed something about the drawing on the right.

His left arm is extremely fucking long.
>>
>>2906052
Not arguing that the old design isn't better but:
>sword is cracked and stained
You know that's actually a really bad thing for a weapon?
A clean weapon can imply he takes care of his killing implement so it doesn't fail him.
>>
>>2905828
I'd like to plug my controller into her port #2, if you understand my inference.
>>
>>2906589
Stand up. Relax your arm. Where do your fingertips rest? Halfway between your knee and your waist like Cloud? Then you're normal. If not, you have issues.
>>
>>2906071
On mine only the bottom half yellowed.
>>
>>2906005

That's what happens when people constantly say you can do no wrong and thoroughly insulate you from all criticism.

I agree with 90% of the opinions anons are posting in this thread. It's kind of scary.
>>
>>2905797
making the NES2 RF only, it's some 3DS level hardware decisionmaking boneheadedness
>>
Is there an easy way to play Japan region games on an NTSC SNES? Is it even worth doing or should I just get ROMs to play on an everdrive or emulate?
>>
>>2907424

The original design is probably trying to emphasize that it's your old, shitty starting weapon.
>>
>>2908357
you can take pliers and pop the tabs out of a US snes, and then japanese games will fit. they are both NTSC format.
>>
Why the fuck did Nintendo actually model Peach's vagina in SM64?
>>
File: 1451337726458.jpg (21KB, 328x212px) Image search: [Google]
1451337726458.jpg
21KB, 328x212px
>>2908402
she doesn't even have legs
>>
>>2908402

pics or it didn't happen
>>
>NES controller
>B on left A on right.
Why?
>>
>>2908309
It was probably cheaper.
>>
>>2905982
Funnily Europe got a lot of the original Japanese covers for some systems/companies.
Or at least an original that's adapted from the Japanese one.
>>
>>2908453
Because Japs read backwards would be my guess
>>
>>2909146
not backwards, from up to down in columns, then left to right.
if they write on a single row instead (as is often the case with computers) they write from left to right instead these days (before WWII and slightly after up until maybe the 60s they did in fact write right-to-left in rows though, you can see it on old ships and adverts etc.)

for pure rtl backwards in rows see arabic.
>>
>>2909310
>i try to be a weeb but i suck at it
No you don't. Being ignorant about a culture you worship is pretty much the definition of a weeb
>>
File: AboOZ.jpg (73KB, 700x540px) Image search: [Google]
AboOZ.jpg
73KB, 700x540px
>>2906059
This is the TG16 next to the CoreGrafx II model, but the PC Engine has the same shape with different colors and RF instead of composite output.

The worst thing about the TG16 is the fact that they didn't add anything extra to justify the larger size like additional controller ports and proper RCA jacks (something the NES-001 already had in 1985), you still had to buy adapters for those things. It's all wasted real estate.
>>
>>2909317
He's correct.
>>
>>2906052
In the first picture he is mimicking Zack's confidence due to the presence of Jenova cells. In the second one he has become himself - a cold, moody bitch.
>>
>>2905819
>I heard that NoA made this design so americans couldn't put cola on units
They probably call them "colas". After all, they call Lego "legos".
>>
>>2906118
>50hz
>best
I don't think so, Tim.
>>
>>2908453
>>2909146

It's actually because A is supposed to be the primary button, thus it is placed where your right thumb is assumed to rest naturally.

The B button, being placed to the left, necessitates moving your thumb to press it; which is fine, because it's the secondary button.
>>
>>2909514

That's not true. At the end of FF7, after he's accepted who he truly is, he's at his most confident. "Let's mosey."

His most depressing point in that game is after the death of a certain party member, which is before he learns the truth.
>>
>>2905828
Retail. Retail never changes.
>>
>>2909556
>At the end of FF7, after he's accepted who he truly is, he's at his most confident
...and can you prove that the first image is from the end of the game?
>>
>>2909594
It isn't.
But even after Cloud found his true self in the Lifestream with help of Tifa, he was confindent.
He became edgy after events of FF 7 with Advent children
>>
>>2909594

What? What does that image have to do with anything? I know because I've beaten the game. I was disputing the claim that Cloud's true personality is "a cold, moody bitch".
>>
>>2908080

You should try being on the receiving end.
>>
Dead on release consoles like Jaguar and Virtual Boy.
Thread posts: 65
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.