[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Retro Dark Souls

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 104
Thread images: 22

File: Vagrant Story.jpg (37KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
Vagrant Story.jpg
37KB, 640x480px
This is a rather specific question, but can /vr/ think of any retro 3D titles that have similar atmosphere and gameplay as Dark Souls?

Pic maybe related
>>
I don't know, but consider checking out King's Field or Shadow Tower since they're also from From.
>>
>>2900515
Oh look. It's this thread again.
>>
File: 2654_front.jpg (72KB, 640x639px) Image search: [Google]
2654_front.jpg
72KB, 640x639px
Also on PC, although that version is essentially a completely different game since it was handled by a different studio, with virtually no communication between the two developers. This was frankly one of the most bizarre porting decisions I've ever seen.
>>
File: 4607_front.jpg (97KB, 640x646px) Image search: [Google]
4607_front.jpg
97KB, 640x646px
King's Field and King's Field II are spiritual predecessors to Souls. The English versions are actually the second and third games to be released in Japan. The first one never made it overseas.
>>
File: nightmare-creatures-usa.jpg (143KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
nightmare-creatures-usa.jpg
143KB, 600x600px
The combat is far worse but the overwhelming dark is there
>>
>>2901217
I consider bloodborne to be the spiritual successor to this more so than NC2 was at least
>>
File: s&r.jpg (60KB, 600x300px) Image search: [Google]
s&r.jpg
60KB, 600x300px
>>2901219
You're right, but I liked the sequel as well nonetheless.

Also pic related is borderline retro but very relevant
>>
File: Deathtrapdungeon.jpg (576KB, 2923x2043px) Image search: [Google]
Deathtrapdungeon.jpg
576KB, 2923x2043px
>>
>>2900515
learn to use the archive(sites)
>>
File: Shadow_Man.jpg (151KB, 509x350px) Image search: [Google]
Shadow_Man.jpg
151KB, 509x350px
Bam
>>
>>2900515

Zelda 2 has the combat, respawning and everything is going to kill you so you better get good feel.
>>
>>2901167
I couldn't get these to run on zebra or mednafen, bad dumps I guese?
>>
>>2901236
People say King's Field is the ancestor of Souls. Bullshit, Deathtrap Dungeon is the ancestor.
>>
File: dbtsxtended[1].jpg (502KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
dbtsxtended[1].jpg
502KB, 1600x1200px
Die by the fucking Sword
>>
>>2901323
i thought it was easier than what OP is looking for.

especially once you get the lava walking skill, game gets trivial.
>>
>>2901405
They even copied the game's framerate for Blighttown.
>>
>>2901236
oh shit, I remember those adds
>>
>>2901519
>need ta fill me gullet!
>>
>>2900553
Usually when guys like this comment, I would tell them to stfu and gtfo, but in this case, he's right, this gets asked all the fucking time

Someone just make an infopic or pastebin or some shit, because it's getting tiring

In fact, if no one does this, I will put up a pastebin of whatever gets mentioned this thread so that someone can just refer to it next time

Severance, Blade of Darkness
Yes, Vagrant Story, a little bit
Kings Field and Shadow Tower (even though they are closer to WRPGs than DS)
Die By the Sword (this is basically a 90% match)
Deathtrap Dungeon (never played so gonna take anons word for it)
Shadowman (ditto, never played)
Zelda 2 (vaguely similar)

Also, just a reminder, use the fucking archive next time

http://warosu.org/vr/

https://warosu.org/vr/?offset=96&ghost=yes&task=search&search_text=dark%20souls
>>
>>2901612
Yeah the framerate was shit. Deathtrap Dungeon is something that would benefit from a faithful remake that polishes up the graphics and controls.
>>
>>2901519
>>2901672

You guys need to stop with this Die by the Sword is Dark Souls bullshit.

It's not tonally similar.
It's not at all similar in gameplay.
It's not even difficult, save and except that the controls are fucking horrible and the only way to actually play it competently is with macros.

And I say all this as someone who liked DBTS and recommended it to all my friends in high school.
>>
Mega Man. Think about it.
>>
>>2901710
Surprise surprise, none of those games are, but they're the closest we can get as far as /vr/
>>
>>2901219
Shut up Caddicarus.
>>
File: draconus.jpg (28KB, 270x266px) Image search: [Google]
draconus.jpg
28KB, 270x266px
This beauty right here.
>>
>>2901405
>bullshit
but they literally are, the same guy who made souls, made kings field and shadow tower.
>>
>>2901716
Except it's not even remotely close. You might as well recommend MK Anthologies Sub Zero for all DBTS has in common with Dark Souls.
>>
>>2900515
Majora's Mask.
>>
>>2901759
this

some guy did a good article on it
>>
>>2901765
actually it was a youtube by some guy, i think maybe matthewmatosis
>>
OK, I gotta ask: is ol' Ashley thar wearing goddamn assless chaps?

...Do the...ah...Rest of the cast dress so "flamboyantly"?
>>
>>2901389
they work well on most other emulators
>>
>>2901765
>>2901759
>>2901769
it was super bunny hop
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_ZLoHl5UH8
>>
>>2901389

The translation patch works neither on mednafen nor on real hardware.
>>
>>2901807

Oh look, it's this shitpost again.
>>
>>2901921

Just answer my question you fugly whore.
>>
>>2901979
sydney dresses even gayer than ashley, so yes
>>
>>2901998

Hrm. That's...Not good.

Did this game take its character design from Final Fantasy IX or something?
>>
>>2901979
Almost every major character in the game is fabulously dressed in skintight leather with little mantles and bits of normal clothing and oddly shaped armor strewn about them.

It's actually kind of interesting, since the characters who dress like that are supposed to be like medieval super spies and you can imagine that it's because they want to maintain their mobility while still having guards and stuff to deflect blows.

Vagrant Story is the number one game that needs to be remade with exactly one improvement. Vagrant Story in real time with all the same graphics it has now; this is my fantasy.
>>
>>2901672
What people may not realize about the archive is that, for common questions such as "what do you think of X" or "what are some games like X", it will often yield tons of answers immediately -- i.e., without having to wait. You can also get answers from when the question was asked at different points in time, if it's a common enough question (as opposed to just getting answers from the people who happen to be on /vr/ in the particular week when the thread was up). Most posters are too lazy to check, or narcissistic enough to think that they're the first one to think up a particular thread topic or question. I can't blame them, the archives aren't stickied, and it's not like reddit where an archive search box is right there on the front page (so there's no excuse for not knowing about it).
>>
>>2902026

But assless chaps? Really? Sorry, but I have my limits on the "weeb" factor. I hear Vagrant Story is supposed to have a slightly Shakespearean air about it. Am I going to have to endure Mr. Riot delivering the most noble of soliloquies in assless chaps?

...Am I really going to be asked to take something like that seriously?
>>
>>2902041
They're not assless, those are leather battle trunks of whom the ass has been carefully fitted to hug mister Riot's buttock in the most secure and flexible fashion possible.

Ashley's just trying to do his job, he dresses for pure practicality, you're the one who can't stop staring at his ass.
>>
Dude.
duuuude
Nightmare Creatures

Also, is this OP bait? With his logic any game that has dungeon crawling is like DaS.
>>
File: deathtrap-dungeon-kelly-brook_1.jpg (109KB, 896x1280px) Image search: [Google]
deathtrap-dungeon-kelly-brook_1.jpg
109KB, 896x1280px
>>2901236
>>2901631

So do I
>>
>>2902092
blue board, dingus
>>
>>2902092
owch
>>
>>2902092
See you in three days.
>>
>>2902053

You're our resident gay retrobro, aren't you? :)

Yeah...We're coming at this topic from two entirely separate angles, methinks. ;)
>>
>>2901710
Lame macros? Just map the sword controls to a joystick, then you get superior 1:1 sword controls.
>>
Ore no Shikabane, since it's the game that kinda inspired Demon's Souls in the first place.
>>
>>2902130
I'll let you have the front so it's not too gay for you then
>>
>>2902156
>superior 1:1 sword controls

Yeah, NO. They're INCREDIBLY shitty, a goddamn nightmare. The macros actually target body parts automatically and are the only way to get through that game with any actual defense.

Superior controls, my ass. You know you can't parry in free-arm mode, right?

Everyone gets so hyped up when they hear you can control the sword directly but it's honestly terrible.
>>
>>2900515
Army of Darkness
>>
>>2900553
>>2901293
>>2901672
>CHECK THE FUCKING ARCHIVE! REEEE!

Are you people serious, or is this some next-level trolling? /vr/ isn't just 4 or 5 people. Not everybody has seen earlier iterations of this thread and had a chance to respond before they were archived. Occasionally resurrecting the discussion in the future may provide fresh answers.

Instead of shitting up threads that are going to get maybe a dozen bumps before they sink into obscurity, why don't you go whine in one of the numerous active CRT generals that are overrun by literal autists who regurgitate and circlejerk over the same pointless shit ad infinitum? Because that's exactly the quality of posts that is killing /vr/, not threads like this.
>>
>>2902293
Did you actually try what I said? I only found the 1:1 sword controls to be a pain with the mouse. If you set them to the analogue stick on a controller you just quickly flip the sword around with it.
>>
>>2901734
I'm not entirely sure what you mean by this.
>>
>>2902370
>Did you actually try what I said?

Did you read what *I* said?
>>
>>2902060
>With his logic any game that has dungeon crawling is like DaS.
Nah, DS has a specific kind of atmosphere. It's very dreary, has minimal story and NPCs, and an open environment to explore.

What I'm saying is, OP is looking to play King's Field and Shadow Tower.
>>
>>2902378

Not OP but Souls/BB games are far from being bad, they're at least competent games for what they want to achieve. The fanbase is disgusting with "le so hard impossible YOU DIED ehmaged xDD epic avenshur it's a new genre created by from What's the Dark Souls of retro/2D/Furry/zombies/etc games" and shit like that. It's a shame nowadays being so hard to avoid this kind of monkey as they're in whatever website you try to browse.
>>
>>2901229
This.

OP asked for atmosphere and gameplay so the answer is Severance assuming gameplay means physics/mechanics.

inb4 spergfits about "gameplay" meaning either nothing or whatever your subjective definition is.
>>
>>2900515
>this meme again
It's like you are trying to pretend Dark Souls is in any way original or something new.
>>
>>2901710
Dark Souls is just fucking Castlevania in 3D.
That's it.
>>
File: wat.gif (2MB, 400x225px) Image search: [Google]
wat.gif
2MB, 400x225px
>>2903483
>It's like you are trying to pretend Dark Souls is in any way original or something new.
The fact that he came to a retro video game board to ask for games like it flies right in the face of everything you just typed.

Especially since he got a ton of suggestions in this very thread.
>>
>>2903487
I think Castlevania in 3D is Castlevania in 3D.
>>
>>2903289
>Nah, DS has a specific kind of atmosphere. It's very dreary, has minimal story and NPCs, and an open environment to explore.
Unreal.
>>
>>2903504
>>Nah, DS has a specific kind of atmosphere. It's very dreary, has minimal story and NPCs, and an open environment to explore.
or Hexen.
>>
>>2903504
>>2903508
Probably a bit too fast paced for someone looking for a Souls-esque game, but should be played anyway because they are fun as fuck.

Also, I like Heretic better than Hexen.
>>
File: so original miyazakiâ„¢.png (17KB, 512x480px) Image search: [Google]
so original miyazakiâ„¢.png
17KB, 512x480px
>>
Spelunker
>>
File: 04891[1].jpg (109KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
04891[1].jpg
109KB, 1024x768px
Blade of Darkness maybe
>>
File: Blade-of-Darkness-PC.jpg (81KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
Blade-of-Darkness-PC.jpg
81KB, 800x600px
Blade of Darkness, 100%

Most examples were already posted - by some really vague extend, when talking about good atmosphere, Thief is also an ok pick.
>>
>>2903287
Just because you such so much and had to rely on macros doesn't mean I had to.
>>
File: swordmas-23.png (4KB, 256x224px) Image search: [Google]
swordmas-23.png
4KB, 256x224px
>>2903605
Bro.. If you're going to say Dark Souls ripped off something, pick the right game.
>>
>>2903287
Sometimes the more fun option is the more difficult one. Using macros you might as well just be hitting the "I win this battle" button.
>>
dork solz just a fast clone of Ghosts 'n Goblins
>>
File: nxiowsT7N41r0cipdo1_1280.png (442KB, 791x722px) Image search: [Google]
nxiowsT7N41r0cipdo1_1280.png
442KB, 791x722px
>>2902335
>defends thread asking for games similar to a very not-retro title
>asks others to stop shitting up this board
>>
If you want a strategic/tactics based game that involved a lot of stat managing, item management, low amount of health powerups on you are one time, stamina management, hours and hours of content and gameplay, giant things to kill, near-autistic levels of enemy fight pattern memorizing, etc etc that you can emulate on nearly anything, try MHFU
>>
>>2904181
How is asking for retro games on a retro game board shitting the b--you know what?

Enjoy your (You)
>>
>>2904375
>How is it ok to use retro requests as an excuse to discuss not-retro games?
You tell me.
>>
It's not 3D, but Faxanadu is basically straight up 2D Dark Souls on the NES.
>>
I might try using the Hylian Toolbox to mod Ocarina of Time into a crude Darksouls clone.
>>
>>2904047

This. Great game. Suffers a bit from strange design decisions made mid-development(started as a rpg-lite about king Sargon, then they added orcs straight outta John Howe, Conan stuff, etc) but I kind of enjoy the patchwork nature of it.
>>
File: CYKDBEeWMAAKc4q.jpg (34KB, 598x336px) Image search: [Google]
CYKDBEeWMAAKc4q.jpg
34KB, 598x336px
Not 3D, But it's still Zelda 2
>>
>>2907395
epic based milo
>>
File: KF1_Shot_008.jpg (28KB, 320x239px) Image search: [Google]
KF1_Shot_008.jpg
28KB, 320x239px
OP again. I appreciate the recommendations so far, but to clear up any confusion, the commonalities I was looking for include
>Dark / gritty atmosphere
>Preferably 3D
>Unforgiving difficulty
>Preferably RPG (level ups, player stats) instead of action-adventure (Zelda, Tomb Raider)
>>
>>2907416
Then you're probably on the right track with the true predecessors - King's Field and Shadow Tower. Be aware that people who try to go back to them from Souls games often have a hard time getting into them as they're slower and their physics are clunkier. I suspect they literally stole mechanics from Severance to get to Demon's Souls. The qualities you're listing there are all present in all 6 of the King's Field/Shadow Tower games though and if you start liking the engine check out the Echo Night games as well.
>>
>>2907434
>>2907416
Also, Shadow Tower is somewhat more like Souls in that you're dropped into a hostile environment with little to no story and what light story elements there are are secondary while King's Fields games (other than the first Japanese exclusive one) have a fair amount of story and NPCs etc.
>>
>>2907352
This intrigues me anon.
>>
File: Exchange them for Souls you say.jpg (114KB, 320x272px) Image search: [Google]
Exchange them for Souls you say.jpg
114KB, 320x272px
>>2907448
>Shadow Tower is somewhat more like Souls

It's pretty much the DS prototype in almost everything down to obnoxious animal NPCs.
>>
How's Shadow Tower Abyss?
>>
File: 1452497123789.jpg (29KB, 375x305px) Image search: [Google]
1452497123789.jpg
29KB, 375x305px
>>2901714
>>
>>2909734
I heard it's the closest to Souls.
Also there's guns and shit.
>>
>>2904151
I gave some actual reasons why 1:1 is awful. You're defending a shit system because you personally had more fun with it - believe me, tons of people did NOT have fun wrestling with that shit.

>>2904143
So I apparently "such" because I won't handicap myself like you did.

Do either one of you have any actual rebuttal or reason why 1:1 is better than macros, or is it just "fun" to use an inferior control scheme and anyone who isn't pounding nails through their dicks just "such" at it?
>>
>>2909734
It's pretty awesome. Combat's surprisingly satisfying for an early FROM game, levels are varied and well designed, atmosphere's incredibly dark and sometimes genuinely scary. It does get kinda easy later on and the levels are a bit too straightforward, but it's an awesome game otherwise.
>>
>>2909812
And you still haven't said if you did what i suggested, using the sword controls with a controller. i never said it was good with the default mouse/keyboard controls.
>>
>>2909845
What difference does that make? Does it let you parry? Does it let you target limbs? Does it even let you move your arm and waist?

No, it doesn't. 1:1 mode, regardless of input method, is missing features that macros cover for, end of story, and considering you haven't put out one fact in three posts trying to prove that 1:1 is "superior" despite missing out on key features, I'm going to stop responding to you now because you're clearly simply unwilling to concede to factual reason and would prefer to just rely on feelings and personal anecdotes and other bullshit that can neither prove or disprove anything.
>>
>>2909915
lmao, all that when a simple "No, I havn't" would of sufficed. Since 1:1 obviously relies on how it controls, and if it controls better on one input device over another..I don't see whats so hard to understand.
>>
No. End of thread. Dark Souls isn't retro. Period.
>>
>>2911201
Damn, son, you have a severe case of reading comprehension failure. He asked for old games with similar atmosphere, how this isn't retro?
>>
>>2911226

He's the Not REEEEEEtro Guy. Only Gentoo is his kryptonite.
>>
>>2901672
>Shadowman
Shadowman is literally Voodo Zelda, and is a great game, but not similar to DS in any shape or form.
>>
>>2911401
I though Shadowman has guns?
>>
>>2902092
My dick actually hurts now
Thread posts: 104
Thread images: 22

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.