[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Sega Saturn

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 169
Thread images: 15

File: 816026sega-saturn1.jpg (30KB, 700x499px) Image search: [Google]
816026sega-saturn1.jpg
30KB, 700x499px
Is the Sega Saturn a system worth buying? What are some its best games?
>>
>>2900410

It's definitely worth a buy, but you're gonna want one that plays imports for sure. Some of the best stuff never came out in North America.
>>
>>2900410

Nothing going further than PSX have..

If you have a Mega Drive/Genesis try things like Shining Force saga and think about it.

I you like so much the Mega Drive, its ok, but if not, PSX will have anything you want-

Its my opinion.
>>
>>2900410

If you're into 90's-era Capcom fighters, it's got everything you need. Be sure to invest in an Action Replay or RAM cart, though. They're unplayable without one of the those.
>>
>>2900416

Why is the 4th or 5th post in every new /vr/ thread now have some fucktard crying about retro SEGA fans?
>>
>>2900420
>replying to anti australia-kun
shiggy diggy
>>
>>2900413
Is it region locked?
>>
>>2900420
Why is there always one of you to feed him?
>>
>>2900427
yes, just get an action replay 4-in-1 to get around it
>>
Is Pseudo Saturn a viable alternative to a modchip?
>>
Its really not worth the money. It has a few cool releases. Everything else costs too damn much. I stopped collecting for it.
>>
It'll cost you but it has an absolutely incredible library if you're willing to spend the money.
>>
>>2900620
yes! It's worth it
>>
>>2900641
This, actually pseudo Saturn current release has the same compatibility as a modchip. Almost 100%
>>
>>2900410
Not an overpriced nigger colored one. A modded master race Asian one for ¥500. Sure.
>>
>>2900647
>This, actually pseudo Saturn current release has the same compatibility as a modchip. Almost 100%

Wrong, modchip is 100%, Pseudo is known to have problems with at least a few games (one of them being Panzer Dragoon Saga).
>>
>>2900620
>>2900641
You can't use the save feature on the cart with it though, kind of a deal killer for RPGs.
>>
>>2900662
not anymore the newest version works with Panzer Dragoon Saga and Zwei and Batsugun.
>>2900669
true and i think people are stilling trying to re implement it but no word yet on it.
>>
File: 1449606231479.jpg (61KB, 591x591px) Image search: [Google]
1449606231479.jpg
61KB, 591x591px
>tfw recently got a SLS pad
>>
>>2900669
>i red something so i post it
The deal killer is your McJob that doesn't let you buy a the card let lone the console.
>>
>>2900631
Agreed. PC Engine is the import master race system.
>>
>>2900669

You can still save to the battery backup though, right? Not ideal, sure, but it's something
>>
meme console
>>
>>2900421

What do you mean by "anti australia-kun"?

Australia-kun is an idiot and deserves to be ridiculed, and I'm a Sega fan. People who make fun of Australia-kun aren't necessarily anti-Sega.

The sega shitposter is just a shitty troll who tried to bait and succeeds everytime, at least his posts are starting to get deleted.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gz2v5ymQeb0
>>
>>2902210
>You can still save to the battery backup though, right? Not ideal, sure, but it's something

Yeah, but that thing is tiny, especially for RPGs. One save in Shining Force 3 is like half the size of that memory.
>>
Mr. Bones is the true underappreciated Saturn gem. And no, I am not kidding.
>>
>>2902214

>>>/v/
>>
>>2902394
holy shit that game looks amazing.
>>
>>2900410
I'd say it's worth it, but have a "strategy" for how you're going to proceed. Determine right off the bat whether you're going to be using a modchip and playing burned games, whether you're going to be focusing on playing actual imports, or if you're just sticking with american games. Are you going to be playing games that require additional RAM?

Personally the idea of tracking down rare saturn games didn't appeal to me, so I just installed a simple modchip and bought the action replay 4-in-1 to have all my bases covered.
>>
The following games are not shown
Panzer Dragon
Street Fighter Alpha
Resident Evil
Virtua Fighter Kids
Daytona Usa
So /vr/ any thoughts on my small collection of Saturn games?
>>
too expensive. just download the roms and emulate.
>>
File: DSC00432.jpg (339KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
DSC00432.jpg
339KB, 1024x768px
>>2902513
oops forgot my image.
>>
File: tmp_5941-HJwUI-1360744239.jpg (98KB, 540x720px) Image search: [Google]
tmp_5941-HJwUI-1360744239.jpg
98KB, 540x720px
The SNES is usually heralded as the greatest console of all time (PS2 as well, but it's not /vr/) but honestly I'd say Sega Saturn is... at least for my taste in games (mostly beautiful 2D "pixelart")... buuuut you have to either learn moon or hunt down fanslations since most of the good stuff never left Japan.
>>
>>2902515
Yikes... not an option yet.

Emulation is really shitty on the SS, still.
>>
>>2902513
>>2902516

No Astal or Dynamite Deka 2. Shameful display.
>>
>>2902513
>>2902516
You're off to a good start buddy. If you like D make sure you get Enemy Zero. I never see anyone talk about it but it's a masterpiece.
>>
Any tips on getting good at NiGHTS?
>>
>2902578

Make sure you have the special controller that Sega made just for NiGHTS, and watch youtube videos and study them.
>>
>>2902578
It's all about getting links. Learn the levels, make sure you dash and keep moving. Get 20 chips ASAP and break the cage thing. Then do laps, avoid going to the next bit of the level until the last second.

If there's a gap between one set of chips or rings and the next set, make sure you dash but it's worth circling the last bunch of chips so you get them incrementally as you travel to the next series of chips/rings, keeping your link chain going. It's all about keeping the link chain going, that's what gives you the big points.

Saturn Memories has a pretty good A-Rank guide on YouTube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2ZMzCNNteQ
>>
>>2900662
Panzer dragoon saga works with the current release, as does panzer zwei, actually I have found no imcompatibilities among 650 games I've tried. Only one, which also doesn't work on a modchip is Croc(missing textures).
>>
>>2903004
>Only one, which also doesn't work on a modchip is Croc(missing textures).

This game works fine with modchips though.
>>
>>2900410
What's the best option for Saturn?

burning CDs
Pseudo Saturn
RHEA
SSF
>>
>>2903285
Rhea is hands down the best option, especially now that it has a menu.

Pseudo is okay but to flash the cart you need to be able to run backups already, so it is a catch 22. Plus it takes away the cart slot for any other use - no way to use cheat devices, memory carts, run KOF95, or even use devcarts if you are into that.

Modchip is nice, only downside is that you need soldering to install it. And you also have to region patch your games prior burning, unless you are using an AR or a region free bios.

SSF is acceptable, gets a few games wrong (most notably it does not emulate slowdown, so a lot of games actually run at a better framerate). It can also turn meshes into true transparency, and can give you infinite native backup space (as in, the emulated Saturn never runs out of save space). It tends to be buggy and crash randomly on the latest versions for some reason, but if you can get it working fine, it'll run great.
>>
Guardian Heroes for Sega Saturn. The Xbox 360 remake was shit, the original was pure fucking gold.
>>
>>2904149
I never played the 360 version, how did they fuck it up? I love the Saturn one. Treasure were incredible during the Mega Drive and Saturn days.
>>
what's the best Saturn to get?

I want to play japanese games mostly, but don't know how to read moonrunes and have no modding abilities to speak of(the most I can do is fix game save batteries and fix controllers, which is lowest of the low in skill level)
>>
>>2904149

Elaborate
>>
If you're a fan of berserk, I believe there is a decent berserk game on there.

Or you could play the crow kek
>>
File: Tribute.jpg (11KB, 200x150px) Image search: [Google]
Tribute.jpg
11KB, 200x150px
Okay Saturn general, please advise:

I have a XRGB Mini and the RGB SCART adapter it comes with, could I use a SNES NTSC RGB cable with the adapter on a Japanese Saturn? I am aiming to own a Japanese Saturn soon, and don't know what my RGB options are other than obtaining the cables that retrorgb refers you to.

The cables LOOK the same, but I have a feeling that things aren't that simple and that I need those specific cables. Still, that 18.99 in ameribucks could easily be put towards expanding my library if I can just use the cables I already own. Thanks for the help.

Also, what is a good price for a japanese Saturn? I would like to know so I don't get ripped off. A dude on Craigslist is offering one for 50 but it has very clear wear and tear with signs of extreme yellowing and eBay seems to range from 65-150, and in extreme cases like the Sonic Toys R Us Model going for 600+. Thanks again.
>>
>>2903258
I've tried 3 modchips, it doesn't
>>
I don't think Radiant Silvergun is worth the asking price

come at me
>>
>>2906476
No game is worth $100+

but RS is a very good game
>>
>>2904149
If the x360 version allows you to skip all the fucking cutscenes then it is automatically way better than the Saturn one. I haven't played it though, I'm just saying.
>>
>>2904350
Get a jap Saturn then.

But if you have enough hand dexterity to be capable of playing Tetris for 2 minutes, then you have the necessary skills to solder the single fucking cable required for a Saturn modchip.
>>
>>2904556
You can't use a SNES cables with a Saturn. I don't know where-ever you got that ridiculous idea from.

RGB Scart cables compatible with NTSC Saturns are always third party, since official cables only came out in Europe, which has a slightly different pinout. So basically you need to look specifically for one that is marked to work with NTSC consoles.

Or you can get the rare official Japanese RGB21 cable which you can plug into the XRGB directly (Scart cables need to be converted to RGB21 first).

$50 is good for a Japanese Saturn, they are heavy so shipping a bare unit from Japan costs as much as the console itself. For that reason, they are expensive to get on ebay.
>>
>>2904853
>I've tried 3 modchips, it doesn't

You've got a bad burn then, I've played that game with modchips, and it functions exactly the same as the original disc up to and including the bug the game came with from the factory (you have to boot into your Saturn CD player and then into the game, otherwise Croc will be missing his head).
>>
>>2906520

>Ridiculous idea

Hey man, just a question. Thanks for answering though. Feel like I'm more informed now.
>>
File: 4654665871231.png (133KB, 195x292px) Image search: [Google]
4654665871231.png
133KB, 195x292px
tfw have magical knigh rayearth and its actually in pretty good condition.

not sure what to do with it. I cant be assed to put it on ebay due to too much work.
>>
>>2907310
You could send it to me if you don't want it?

I would even pay. I can't afford these overpriced ebay copies but I've always wanted to play it without needing to know Japanese or modding my Saturn...

If you wanted something reasonable like 150 USD that'd be cool.
>>
anyone have a go-to list for Sega Saturn games that isn't /v/'s recommended wiki?

I want Radiant Silvergun and Nights(as well as the Panzer Dragoons), but what else is on this thing that isn't arcade fighters(I lack people to play with these days)
>>
>>2908862
Get Power Slave. Great FPS
>>
File: 1356851856090.jpg (4KB, 100x174px) Image search: [Google]
1356851856090.jpg
4KB, 100x174px
>>2908891
>Power Slave

thanks for the recommendation! I am surprised I haven't heard of this, but glad you threw it my way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdCLcWF6uck

The lighting in this game(as well as the gameplay) looks right up my alley! I love DOOM, Heretic/Hexen/Strife, and Quake. So this should be a fun game.
>>
>>2904169

Only 2-player co-op offline. Fuck that.
>>
>>2908904
It's a really good game. The PlayStation and PC versions are both different IIRC. They're more like standard shooters whilst the Saturn one has adventure aspects.
>>
>>2908904

Also check out Quake and Duke Nukem 3D, the Saturn ports were developed by the Power Slave team. FPS genre is the Saturn's best kept secret.
>>
>>2908907
>>2908908

I'm pretty excited to check this game out. I have destroyed a lot of classic FPS games but for some reason haven't heard of this. Possibly because I'm only just now getting into the Sega Saturn or possibly because of a fluke(I'm 24, so many of these games are before my time yet I love them to death).

Thanks guys I will get this game looks like my kind of shit
>>
>>2908914
Just make sure you use the 3D pad!
>>
Panzer Dragoon 1 and Virtua Fighter 1 suck. Skip to PD Zwei and Virtua Fighter 2.
>>
>>2909035
But Panzer 1 is better than 2.
>>
>>2909054
Explain
>>
File: Panzer-Dragoon-II-Zwei-Saturn.png (183KB, 584x371px) Image search: [Google]
Panzer-Dragoon-II-Zwei-Saturn.png
183KB, 584x371px
>>2909054

Also demanding an explanation.

Other than the first level of Panzer Dragoon being an audiovisual delight, Zwei was a huge improvement in every way. Still my favorite PD game.
>>
>>2909035

>skip

no dude you'll appreciate Zwei more if you play the first one
>>
>>2909103
The OST.
>>
>>2909054
>>2909103
>>2909234
theyre both good shut up fuckers
>>
>>2909868

Nobody is saying 1 is bad, but Zwei added multiple routes, dragon evolution, lock-on and berserker attacks, it's an improvement.
I found bosses on Zwei also a lot more spectacular.
>>
Will a Japanese Saturn work without any power converters or anything of that sort in the US? Sorry for the dumb question, I've never used an import console.
>>
>>2910357
Yes.
>>
>>2910257
It also runs at 30fps while PD1 is at 20fps. Huge difference in-game.
>>
>>2910357
yeah i be putting mad hours on my jp saturn and everything still good bro
>>
>>2910257
>>2910431

Yet all those improvements are less enjoyed if you don't play the first game

They're all good faggots
>>
>>2906489
>No game is worth $100+
won't pay over 80 unless it's justified like snatcher.
>>
we have two saturn threads up because people won't use the catalog

why won't the faggots of /v/ just leave?
>>
>>2910913

Again, nobody is saying 1 is bad.
We were just replying to this guy: >>2909054
>>
>>2910257

Didnt the original PD have lock-on?
>>
i want a sega saturn so badly guys

fuck
>>
>>2913486
They're not that expensive if you shop around.

I managed to snag a console with a model 1 and 3D pad, complete Panzer Dragoon Zwei, complete Virtua Fighter 2, and Street Fighter Alpha 2 disc, all for $88, which is pretty good by ebay standards.
>>
>>2913508

I'd drop 88 dollaroos right now for that

DESU though, I would prefer the grey Japanese console over anything. It looks so sexy to me and I have a shit ton of black/white consoles already. It'd be nice to have something different.
>>
The Japanese library is a lot cheaper than the US one.
>>
File: $_57.jpg (307KB, 1200x1600px) Image search: [Google]
$_57.jpg
307KB, 1200x1600px
just copped this and an action replay cart

inb4 weeb, im in pal land and it works out the same ordering from japan or usa really

nip saturn is nicer looking, i wanted a white one though.

so psuedo saturn is all good ?
>>
>>2914642
tfw caved to the massive advertising campaign Shpock is doing right now, only to find someone sold a white JP Saturn with a light gun and a regular white and 3D controller for £30.

Grey is better than nothing though.
>>
>>2914642
grey and blue saturn is so sexy
>>
>>2900410
games i like:

lupin iii: sage of the pyramid
psychic killer taromaru
initial d
sonic r
dodonpachi
nights into dreams
three dirty dwarves
radiant silvergun
street fighter zero 3
pocket fighter
>>
>>2900410
yes, a hundred times yes. wish i had bought one in my area when they were going for 35. prices have since upped significantly.
> insert frowny
i love rapman
>>
>>2918001
rayman*
fucking mobile. personal fav though, not much experience with the system but lots of things look amazing especially if you like side scrollers/fighters
>>
I have a PAL Saturn that I've had since new, but I also have a couple of Jap games (PD1, Shining Force III trilogy). I usually just play them with an Acton replay cart, but would it be worth buying a Japan Saturn for these and any other games?
I remember reading in SSM that the carts don't do the game justice due to 50hz and letterbox?
>>
>>2900410
Sakura Taisen 1 and 2 but only if you know japanese.
>>
>>2918617
You could also do mod the console to include a 50/60hz switch, same thing. It is easy to do that mod on some systems, more difficult on others.

If you can't mod then just pick up a spare Japanese console - all peripherials are compatible, except the SCART cable. A single console can be picked up for 50 euro or so, as long as you don't mind them being yellowed a bit.

Personally I prefer fully modded PAL systems (region free bios, 50/60hz switch), because they don't change colours over time. Black coloured consoles are always the best.
>>
The Japanese Saturn commercials make me want to get a Saturn, but I fear for my wallet. There are no other ways to play backups without a mod chip?
>>
>>2900410
Always wonder, Wasn't Sonic R impressive at the time it was released? It has transparency, dynamics lights and lot of polygons. Yeah it has a bad render distance, but it was still a racing game.
>>
>>2920691
Yeah it was extremely impressive for a 3D Saturn title.
>>
>>2920704
Sonic R was really cool when I was a kid, it was one of the first 3D games I had ever seen, maybe the very first.
>>
>>2920601
Look up Pseudo Saturn d00d.
>>
>>2920601
I'd say getting a saturn is well worth it. The system is more expensive than, say, a genesis, but it's not that expensive all things considered. And the build quality is excellent. Very high-quality parts, nice and sturdy and has heft, etc.

Personally I bought a modchip and an action replay for mine, but there are other methods for playing burned games. The simplest way is to have a single legit game and do the hotswap technique, which is what I did when I was still waiting for the modchip delivery. And I know since I lasted looked into this stuff, there have been new methods of playing backups that use just the action replay or whatever, so you can save 40 bucks on a modchip.
>>
>>2920790
>there have been new methods of playing backups that use just the action replay or whatever, so you can save 40 bucks on a modchip.

That way the 40 bucks you save from the modchip has to go towards a memory cart if you want to save in more than three games, and swapping cards non stop will end up destroying the cart slot.
>>
If you like Zelda you should try Magic Knight Rayearth. The dialg are funy' combzt system with the 3 characters swith bring variaty. And if you hapen to have read the manga or watched the anime it is a good adaptation but bring enought variation on the story to be jnteresting. I completed it on an emulator ssf 6 years ago with no bug. Thereis an undub version somewhere but english was no bad' at least to me since english is not my prime language.
>>
>>2920840
I'm not too familiar with the newer methods since I already own an AR+modchip. Either way, you're buying an AR, are you not? Why would you need a second cart?
>>
>>2920865
The way of playing backups using just an Action Replay (at least, the one method I know of) removes the save functionality and basically turns the cart into a removable modchip.
>>
>>2918839
I'm paranoid about modding my Saturn, even though I'm not bad at soldering. I might even buy a second, Japanese model instead. Its probably not much more than a mod chip?
I'm tempted for the mod chip to play sf3 translated and not on emu though.
>>
>>2921163
Akshully, I can probably use psuedo Saturn to play patched sf3...
>>
>>2921158
Ah, I see. That's a shame then. An AR cart is pretty much mandatory for saves + ram expansion + region unlocking. I don't think I've ever taken mine out.
>>
Where can I get modchips for the Sega Saturn? Both of the main pages people refer to seem to 404.
>>
>>2920865
You can't save directly onto the AR, you have to copy save files over, which is a chore.
If you install Pseudo on it, then you can't even copy over saves at all, you are stuck with the internal memory, which gets filled super fast (a single save in Shining Force 3 or Nights or VF2 will take up half of it).

>>2921163
If you have enough hand dexterity to play videogames then you can handle a fucking soldering iron.
>>
>>2921186
>An AR cart is pretty much mandatory for saves + ram expansion + region unlocking. I don't think I've ever taken mine out.

I put a modchip, region free bios, and save cart in my machine, and I don't think I've ever needed to use the Action Replay since then. All games of all regions run, and they can save directly to the cart, I don't have to wade through the shitty AR menus every time I boot a game. I just pop in the game and play.

Yes, there are some games which need RAM expansion, but almost all of them are CPS2 or Neogeo ports, so there's no point to even bother with them on the Saturn.
>>
this ram cart should be okay for psuedosaturn right ?
>>
>>2921163
You actually don't even need to solder the modchip. Yes, I'm serious. They're very simple and the only thing you're suppsed to solder is the power to the 5V line for power.

Because I was at my college apartment at the time, I didn't have access to a soldering iron. So what I did was I just took the wire and tied it tightly around the 5V line instead. That was years ago and it's worked like a charm ever since. I was originally going to solder it for real when I got the chance, but I figured "eh, it's held up for months now, why fix what's not broken"?

Other than that, you just gotta make sure you're insulating the modchip so it doesn't short out by touching something else. IIRC I padded mine with cardboard and taped it down.
>>
>>2923530
>>2921516
Hmm that sounds so simple considering I've soldered knock off PCBs to arcade buttons before. Those were far more finicky.

I guess I like the idea of having a "vanilla" or stock Saturn as well, but I'll probably bite the bullet and get a mod chip to play more games and sf3 translations
>>
Is Burning Rangers import friendly?
>>
>>2926375
no, you wont know the directions to go since they shout it in japanese
>>
>>2900410
Burning rangers
Clockwork knight 2
Megaman 8 - If I remember correctly, the Saturn version had better music.
The rest have been said already.
>>
Virtual-On any good?
>>
File: TQzG3mf2_400x400.jpg (20KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
TQzG3mf2_400x400.jpg
20KB, 400x400px
>>2926423
definitely
>>
File: CNfU5soUAAEHsiQ.jpg (100KB, 599x896px) Image search: [Google]
CNfU5soUAAEHsiQ.jpg
100KB, 599x896px
>>2926428
>>
File: CMwMX79UEAEYByR.jpg large.jpg (37KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
CMwMX79UEAEYByR.jpg large.jpg
37KB, 600x450px
>>2926430
>>
>>2926423
It's a good game but is the limits of no dash cancelling and 30 FPS are a strike against it in a world with perfect arcade ports are available on the PS2 and PC.
>>
>>2926550
I'm like 99% sure you can still dash cancel on the Saturn.
>>
Trying to get ssf to work on my laptop. I get an error that says "????CD??????" and it closes. I have everything updated and installed regarding direct x and Microsoft c++
>>
>>2923504
Yeah, it'll work.
>>
>>2927821
>I get an error that says "????CD??????" and it closes

You need a CD drive for SSF to work.
>>
>>2908862
There are a couple fun platformers like Clockwork Knight and Bug, but I haven't played those games in ages, so that might just be the nostalgia talking...
>>
File: Panzer-Dragoon_2.jpg (75KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
Panzer-Dragoon_2.jpg
75KB, 640x480px
Where the fuck can you find saturn games?
Even the local electronics pawn shop that has an absurd selection of retro games has like 15 saturn games, and most of them are sports titles, the rest are either shit or absurdly expensive.
Do I just need to keep hitting up yard sales throughout the summer till I strike gold?

I do have my saturn modded, but I still like to collect physical copies if possible.
>>
>>2908862
Batsugun and Darius Gaiden if you like shmups.
>>
>>2928196
Saturn was a commercial flop in the states. It's only natural that it's going to be pretty damn hard to find anything locally. And honestly, the amount of time you would have sink into rummaging and scrounging through shops and yard sales isn't worth it; ebay is honestly your best bet.

Personally I just use a modchip and don't own any actual games.
>>
>>2928210
Damn, I might just invest in some custom game cases and print out my own labels, then. Gotta put something on the shelf.
>>
>>2928213
That's a possibility as well. If you have money to spare and want to spend it buying stuff on ebay, you can go ahead too. I know many games are actually surprisingly cheap - at least if you get versions from japan, anyway. But custom cases are totally valid.

Personally I never cared for have a personal collection of actual CD games (saturn, PS1, DC) due to the fact that they all come in those shitty jewel cases that are like 100% guaranteed to break. And don't get me started on how fucking stupid it is to have the cover of the case double as the manual, so if the manual is missing, it just looks like you're storing a loose disc in a generic jewel case.
>>
just install emulator senpai
>>
>>2900410
PSX is a cheaper and better buy (the cheapest retro console you can buy, with the largest library) but there are a lot of nice games for the Saturn. I really enjoyed having a Saturn for a short while as a kid.

>>2902214
The Saturn is not a "meme console", but it is not really worth the money if you are casually into retro games or you have a Playstation and like it. It does have a solid library and is not obscure enough to be a "meme console".
>>
Just got a Japanese Saturn with two controllers and six games (Daytona USA, Sega Rally, Gradius Deluxe, and Virtua Fighter 1/2/Remix). What are some of the more inexpensive games I should get next?

Also, holy fuck this is the greatest controller.
>>
>>2928908
It is one of the greatest controllers ever made in my opinion.

Look for Panzer Dragoon 1&2, I believe Japanese versions are cheap.
>>
Every Saturn owner should own Sega Rally and VF2. Best Saturn games.
>>
I guess I should invest in a Sega Saturn. Yabause is such a shitty emulator.
>>
>>2930317
I'm sorry you're that autistic kid. It really shows, in every posts you ever made on this board.
You need professional help.
>>
>>2930273
Yes, you should. I can only wish for Yabause to improve (and thanks to its development we did learn some neat stuff about the original hardware, such as the way the CD drive works) but it's still a long way to go.
>>
File: 1341958442557.jpg (90KB, 599x600px) Image search: [Google]
1341958442557.jpg
90KB, 599x600px
>tfw you lost your copy of sonic r and panzer dragoon saga
>>
>>2930440
Sonic R would be pretty cheap to replace if you wanted to, but PDS... ouch.

Only like 30,000 of those things were ever made, if you own a copy of PDS please take care of it! :(
>>
>>2930440
Well, losing Sonic R sounds like a ble- Can you feel the sunshine?
Does it brighten up your day?
Don't you feel that sometimes
You just need to run away?
Reach out for the sunshine
Forget about the rain
Just think about the good times
And they will come back again
>>
>>2930463
Living in the city
You know you have to survive
You've got to keep the dream alive
>>
>>2930465
Come on, run away
You don't have to stay
We're nearly out of time
But you're doin' fine
So stay on track
And don't look back
Just feel the pace
Come on now race
Everybody's Super Sonic Racing
Try to keep your feet right on the ground
When you're Super Sonic Racing
There's no time to look around
We're just Super Sonic Racing
Runnin' to the point of no return
Come on, let the fires burn
Everybody, everybody, everybody...
Everybody... Everybody!
We're just Super Sonic Racing, Super Sonic Racing
Come on, let the fires burn (Let's go!)
Don't you know
We really have to go
To a place
Where you can feel my heart just race
(Oh... yeah...)
(Let's go!) Everybody's Super Sonic Racing
(Let's go!) We're just Super Sonic Racing (Super Sonic Racing)
Come on, let the fires burn (Let's go!)
Everybody, everybody, everybody... (Let's go!)
Super Sonic Racing
Oh, yeah... (Let's go!)
Oh... yeah...
Oh... yea-eah...
Super Sonic Racing (Let's go!)
Come on, yeah...
Come on, yeah...
Come on, come on (Let's go!)
Yeah, everybody... (Let's go!)
Super Sonic Racing
Oh, yeah...
Super Sonic Racing (Let's go!)
Oh, yeah...
Everybody, everybody...
Oh, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah
Let's go!
>>
>>2928210
It was a flop, but for a few years, it was sold in every electronics store in a large section. That's why the consoles themselves aren't hard to get.

In any event, I finally bought one and was thinking about doing the action replay hack and using burned games. It requires using the disc swap once and I was just curious if the danger to the CD drive for swapping is just a repeated use thing or you have to be super careful every time?
>>
What are some good Saturn platerformers?
>>
>What are some its best games?
Expensive
>>
>>2930818
Ive only ever done swap trick and had my console since launch. Its nothing to worry about.
>>
I just got my Saturn in the mail yesterday and I've already spent $300 on games.

Do I have a problem?
>>
Bought a saturn a 2 years ago for $40. 2 controller link things, 4 controllers, and 1 3d controller.

I loved that thing, gave it an svideo port by hand and bought a ram cart. Multiplayer bomberman, street fighter 3rd strike. Burned a bunch of cds with jpn games on them. Had a blast.

I dont remember why I sold it, but I sold it a year ago for $60 thinking I got a good deal. Fuck my life.

I want my saturn back, but now they're too expensive. Is this the bubble?
>>
>>2932061
All games are expensive. Literally all of them. That's why I put off buying a Saturn for so long even though I've known it has great games for years.

>>2932067
Thanks. I've read comments regarding motor damage, but I figured it might be autistic over-reaction kind of like /vr/ shitposters and discrot.
>>
Darkstalkers, Sega Rally, Virtua Fighter 2, Fighters Megamix, Virtua Cop, Nights into Dreams, and Panzer Dragoon Zwei aren't expensive.
>>
WTF is everyone's obsession with Sega Rally?
>>
>>2932296
It's a great driving game, and the music is fucking incredible.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vcKFwTg8Go
>>
>>2931308
Sonic Jam.
For real, I'd like to know too. I didn't have many platforms on Saturn at all.
>>
>>2932323
Highly underrated soundtrack?
Can you feel the heart beat of the lion?
>>
No I'm serious, what makes Sega Rally "best Saturn game ever" worthy? All I hear is that the music is good.
>>
>>2932408

Who claimed it's the best Saturn game ever?

It's relatively common and cheap, and it's an actually good port (unlike Daytona USA which is so-so).

So basically:
Sega arcade racing game + good port + cheap = people recommending it
>>
It appears on a lot of best Saturn games list.
>>
>>2900410
It's an awesome system if you like arcade games, but most of the titles never made it out of Japan. So you'll need to do a lot of importing. Plus most of the games are somewhat rare so it's EXPENSIVE. Probably better off emulating.
>>
There's one Saturn game I go back to time and time again, Sega Rally. Sega Rally Championship is the perfect arcade racer, with just enough challenge to make you feel like you've succeeded, but soundly pounded with the 4th track. The controls are near perfect, with you feeling like the car and driver are one.
>>
>>2932408
I prefer emulating the original model 2 arcade version but I'll admit the saturn port is damn good.
>>
Sega Rally + wheel is god send.
>>
>>2902412
Mr. Bones from Portland is my favorite band.
>>
I've had a Saturn forever, but only semi-recently got it up and running again.

I'd like to pick up a modchip for it and know where I can get one, but what would be the best way to go about getting a RAM cart for it?
And for playing different region stuff, how difficult is installing a region free bios?(to avoid needing to do a lot of patching)
Thread posts: 169
Thread images: 15

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.