[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Play an RPG, doesn't reach LV 99. Why do you do this?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 96
Thread images: 15

File: cropped-adrian.png (12KB, 1323x469px) Image search: [Google]
cropped-adrian.png
12KB, 1323x469px
>Play an RPG, doesn't reach LV 99.

Why do you do this?
>>
>>2887573

because I'm not completely autistic.
>>
because the highest level in SMRPG is 30
>>
File: 00000046.png (38KB, 704x480px) Image search: [Google]
00000046.png
38KB, 704x480px
>>2887573
Because at level 99 I can cast Bayoeen and Jyou Ranbu at will without needing a maxed out SP bar.
>>
>>2887573
Why would you? When the hardest parts of a game are balanced for, say, level 50 and being level 60 is enough to make the difficulty an absolute joke why even take it further? Why spend days accomplishing nothing? If you want that, play an MMO they at least try to fool you into thinking you're accomplishing things.
>>
>>2887573
you only plays Jrpgs , right ?

play a Crpg, is very rare that it have ''LV 99'' ....

''RPGER'' ... LOL

''JRPGER'' fixed
>>
>>2887935
Hey, remember when before 2006 everyone referred to Japanese RPGs as just RPGs because adding a nationality in front of a genre is fucking retarded?
>>
>>2888613
Hell, I remember when Anime was called Japanimation
>>
>>2888613

Oddly enough, I agree with this. I didn't think I would.
>>
>>2888620
And first person shooters were called Doom Clones. Those were the days.
>>
>>2888613
You can thank the war against Japanese games by Western games journalists for that one.

There didn't used to be a distinction. Japanese RPGs dominated Western ones in consoles for ages, but JP publishers don't throw money around as much as Western ones for good press. The anti-Japanese game sentiment didn't come about until the 360 got big. That's not a coincidence.

Japanese RPGs aren't perfect, but Western ones aren't either. Slapping "J" in front of "RPG" is used as a slap in the face these days.
>>
>>2888638
Oh yes, I'm well aware that's how it started, and anyone that was into any sort of console RPG (as they were called back then, to be rightfully differentiated from PC RPGs) scene before modern mainstream gaming got big would know this, too. Just opening a 90's game magazine would prove they were just RPGs. I remember first seeing the term "JRPG" get big on the Escapist in '07, where practically everyone would nonchalantly and without any explanation use it in a demeaning fashion.

It really is just people who got into gaming later on glancing at post-VII Final Fantasies (and sometimes post-X FFs) and assuming that all RPGs from Japan are the same. Even within Square itself you have vastly different RPG styles, it makes no sense to catalogue all RPGs from Japan as a single genre. If they were actually into the history of the industry they would know full well just how varied Japanese RPGs are. I can think of a handful of "JRPGs" without a 99 cap (and a few without levels at all).

I love /vr/ because users here are older and are generally immune to that forced narrative crap, and I'm glad to see confirmation that other people here get its origin as well.
>>
>>2887573
>Can beat a game at level 40 or even 20
>Wasting hours of your life away doing unnecessary shit

And because SaGa doesn't have levels
>>
>>2888667
I think all that happened because a lot of people just discover western rpg's thanks to Oblivion and Fallout 3.
Before that there was pc gamers who played western and console gamers who played japanese rpg's, so there was no conflict and no distinctions were necessary.
Better times if you ask me.
>>
>>2888712

It's actually very simple. Western RPG developers realized they could make bank by porting their open-world create-your-character RPGs to consoles and the Japanese industry was traumatized because they had ruled the RPG market without competition for over a decade.

Japanese RPGs haven't recovered since then. They meekly try to copy Western styles (badly) or zero in on a niche otaku audience (embarrassingly).
>>
>>2888719
I can't agree with that and i don't think there's so much JRPG's trying to copy anything western, but probably this isn't a discussion that should be allowed here.
>>
>>2888638
The reason people look down on jrpgs nowadays is probably because they are just weaker now.

Jrpgs used to be one of the genres that pushed their respective systems to the limit. Chrono trigger is graphically one of the best looking and most ambitious games on it's console. sd3 had a special chip just to be able to pull off it's feats and filled nearly every single kilobyte available on the cartidge.

The pre-rendered cutscenes of the ps1 Final Fantasy games were top tier for their time and their very existence was a new thing. In terms of sheer size they were also number 1 with their number of discs.

Nowadays jrpgs often look a generation behind. Neptunia could pass for a late ps2 game. The genre stopped pushing the systems.

Mechanically they also deserve to faulted. We all know that the wrpgs have been more mechanically advanced. Compare the wizardry or might and magic games to the jrpgs that came out in their time. However jrpgs have simply refused to catch-up. They are still stuck in the same pattern of random battle-do most efficient attack for each character-heal when below 50% hp, not to mention their simple dungeon design. In some ways they have actually gone backwards! Final Fantasy is now a game with 1 party member and has straight lines for dungeons. The genre also seems to favor grinding for more than wrpgs.

There isn't even an earnest desire to improve, the genre has decided that story is the most important thing. Fuck strategic combat and big worlds to explore, only the cutscenes matter! And the fans encourage this approach to game design. One need only look at a jrpg thread to see all people talk about are the characters, half the posts being waifu-crap.
>>
>>2888732
>sd3 had a special chip
It didn't. You're probably thinking of Star Ocean.
>>
>>2888613
Never happened in Europe. "RPG" meant Ultima, Gold Box, Dungeon Master, etc. JRPGs were very obscure. FFVII was the first FF game released in Europe.
>>
File: 15243_front.jpg (39KB, 640x492px) Image search: [Google]
15243_front.jpg
39KB, 640x492px
>>2888742
>I know nothing about localized console releases or the emulation scene
While few and far between due to the European market being multilingual and localization costs being too high because for most publishers of that, localized console RPGs like Lufia or Lagoon. were indeed just called RPGs, as well as games like Illusion of Time and Terranigma (although many sometimes referred to them as adventures). And even after FFVIII all Japanese RPGs were simply known as RPGs.

Also the first FF released in Europe was Mystic Quest, also advertised as an RPG. Technically Final Fantasy Legends came earlier that year, too, but that's just a renamed Mana game.

Japanese RPGs were niche and dependant on piracy and imports during the retro years, the emulation and translation scene is a testament to that. But the games were always only known as RPGs, too.
>>
>>2887573
>>Play an RPG, doesn't reach LV 99.
>Why do you do this?
Because everytime you reach level 99 in Dragon Warrior/Quest 3, you have no reason to not go to the temple of Dharma or whatever it was called and reclassing your team.

What, you think the grind ends? It ends when I say it ends!
>>
File: 1439504324371.jpg (159KB, 1500x1500px) Image search: [Google]
1439504324371.jpg
159KB, 1500x1500px
>>2888732
>Chrono trigger is graphically one of the best looking and most ambitious games on it's console.
No, not really.
Go look at Rudra no Hihou if you want something that looks good, or Romancing SaGa 3, SD3, even Treasure Hunter G looks better than CT.
>sd3 had a special chip
It didn't
>Nowadays jrpgs often look a generation behind.
They always did besides the big releases, don't fool yourself.
Go take a look at games like Maten Densetsu, Wizap, Granhistoria or SaGa Frontier.
>They are still stuck in the same pattern of random battle-do most efficient attack for each character-heal when below 50% hp
And how is that different from western RPGs?
Oh right, they're exactly like that but usually in real time.
>The genre also seems to favor grinding for more than wrpgs.
Have you played anything beyond FF or DQ?
Wait, can you even actually play RPGs? Because even the vast majority of FF doesn't need grinding.
> the genre has decided that story is the most important thing.
This is one of the most retarded statements on /vr/, so now there's a great council of hooded men who decide how a genre should be, or better, the games themselves do at night.
> Fuck strategic combat and big worlds to explore
>Western RPGs
>Strategic combat
Oh please, don't you realize how pathetic you look? Are you gonna say Diablo, Daggerfall, Castle of the Winds or Ultima have "deep" and "strategic" combat? Not to mention how boring and utterly bland most worlds of western RPGs are.
>One need only look at a jrpg thread to see all people talk about are the characters, half the posts being waifu-crap.
Yeah, I see any Bioware game threads or Witcher ones sure talk about the games, uh?

You're trying way too hard, it's obvious you don't know jackshit about the genre besides one or two big series.
You can keep playing this game because you're lucky that most people on 4chan don't know more than you do, but rest assured, to anyone who actually plays RPGs you look like a goddamn tryhard moron.
>>
File: final fantasy legend I.jpg (107KB, 538x538px) Image search: [Google]
final fantasy legend I.jpg
107KB, 538x538px
>Leveling
>Levels
I'd like to see more RPG's to have a had in different ways to develop characters than standard experience points and levels which either net you stats upon level ups or distributed points upon level ups.
>>
>>2887895
cause i want to break the game i did that when i played ff12
>>
>>2887573
A valid complaint would be >doesnt let you reach level 100

WHY CANT I EVER BE LEVEL 100
>>
File: as_rance6-01.jpg (22KB, 328x328px) Image search: [Google]
as_rance6-01.jpg
22KB, 328x328px
>>2889185
Because you didn't fuck the Level Goddess! GAHAHA!
>>
>>2889185
How many RPGs cap out at 100 as opposed to 99?

Only games that come to mind are FF 8 and Pokemon.
>>
>>2888928
>Are you gonna say Diablo, Daggerfall, Castle of the Winds or Ultima have "deep" and "strategic" combat?
Compared to JRPGs they do, especially Diablo on Hell difficulty.
>>
>>2887935
>crpg

Chinese RPG?
>>
I think the point I really started to think it was retarded was when I played Disgaea and the game was sitting there half-expecting that I'd want to level up to 9999

I regularly hit the level cap in Ys games tho
>>
>>2889179
I just gave an example where the game is broken at level 60. Anything above is a complete waste of time. Once it's broke it don't get much more broke.
>>
>>2888742
Oh, that's toss. There were Japanese games on Sega consoles that were always recognised as RPGs.
>>
It seems like it'd actually be a more interesting challenge to try and beat the game at the lowest level possible with resource management and good strategies.

Though most people when playing any turn based RPG hate the idea of thinking about what they're doing, so they just mash attack and complain about needing to grind.
>>
>>2889317
You can easily beat the game with laharl on level 70 with three testaments, I regularly do just that.
Maybe a couple clerics and item world visits would also help
>>
>>2888762
>Mystic Quest
Didn't it have some odd level cap, too? I recall it topping off at 41 or something.
>>
I can't remember the last time I reached Max Level in a RPG I played.

Maybe Disgaea 2, but that was pretty much grinding the same map for a day or two straight.
>>
>level 99 autism, the video
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOM8xYUTgn4
>>
>>2890719
jesus
>>
>>2890719
No way, I refuse to believe that is real. The guy must have used a game shark code to skip to level 99.
>>
>>2890339
>It seems like it'd actually be a more interesting challenge to try and beat the game at the lowest level possible with resource management and good strategies.
Some people actually do that. Not for me though.

Only game I've ever maxed out was SMRPG and only because the top lv was like 30.
>>
Most JRPGs don't require you to be anywhere near level 99 to finish the game.
>>
File: galuf must live.jpg (147KB, 1017x703px) Image search: [Google]
galuf must live.jpg
147KB, 1017x703px
>>
>>2888613
I thought it was a mark of a certain order of craftsmanship, like Italian sports car or Swiss chocolate.
>>
>>2888613

>implying they weren't called JRPGs before 2006

I found out the term JRPG discussing Final Fantasy 7 and Dragon Warrior 7 walkthroughs and strategies in 1999/2002.
>>
>>2888928
>Are you gonna say Diablo, Daggerfall, Castle of the Winds or Ultima have "deep" and "strategic" combat?
The most complex non-simulation videogame ever created is an RPG (Dwarf Fortress). Your argument is invalid.
>>
>>2890719
Always
Unique
Totally
Interesting
Sometimes
Mysterious
>>
>>2890753
He has way too much money in the bank for that to be game sharked. Check it at 1 minute 58~59 seconds.
>>
>>2890834
>lvl97 that early in the game

wow, that takes some real autism.
>>
>>2891424
Uh, you can gameshark that too. You can easily alter any value in the game, and numerical values shown on menues are the easiest values to find and modify.
>>
i'm just going to hijack this thread instead of making a new one since it seems to be about RPGs. i've wanted to branch out my video gaming a bit and i really haven't touched jrpgs at all, outside of pokemon and super mario rpg when i was younger. after much debate, i decided to try the original final fantasy

frankly, i really can't see myself playing the game any more, and i've probably only given myself 30 minutes of game time so far. i really don't like the idea of buying all the equipment and potions needed to traverse, and the amount of micromanaging that seems to be required in the game seems like it would get dull rather quick. that said, i really don't mind a grind and i don't mind battling through a menu system. but, the whole idea of being required to visit a town to buy/sell items as well as perform tasks like "resting", and just the amount of overall micromanaging seems a bit much.

i really don't mind rpgs like diablo, system shock 2 or deus ex, but they're vastly different than final fantasy, and, i'm guessing in turn, jrpgs. are jrpgs going to be a lost cause for me? or am i missing some gems that don't require this amount of micromanaging?
>>
File: 1981-expert-rules.png-000008.png (2MB, 1235x1650px) Image search: [Google]
1981-expert-rules.png-000008.png
2MB, 1235x1650px
>>2887573
The numbers are meaningless, that's why.
Actually if you look at old school D&D (I mean the pen & paper game) from the 70's and 80's, each level had a custom title associated with it, and there were only around a dozen levels in all. The game was open-ended and you could accumulate more XPs and levels, but it took so long to level-up after a while that it just wasn't realistic to continue (non-linear scale). Most players would in fact tend to retire they characters much earlier.
Quite a few other things were much simpler too, which made the game easier to run, and it's the only edition of D&D that I could ever be arsed to play again. AD&D was another matter entirely, a huge byzantine system designed more for tournament-style play than a simple, light framework for the DM to build or improvise upon.
>>
>>2890719
>>2890753
I had a classmate in high school who claimed to have done the same thing. He attempted something similar in FF8 (got Squall and Quistis to Lv100 before going to the Fire Cavern). I found it hard not to laugh when he then started complaining about how hard FF8 was despite being Lv100.
>>
>>2892441
You will not like Final Fantasy, also this is hardly micromanaging, just preparing.
>>
File: greyhawk-beholder.jpg (155KB, 712x485px) Image search: [Google]
greyhawk-beholder.jpg
155KB, 712x485px
>>2892490
my OSR nigga
>>
>>2892441
Try the Romancing SaGa/SaGa Frontier games, they might be more of your liking.
And that ain't micromanagement, FF games are really simple mechanically, buying items and resting at an inn isn't really that different from what you'd do in Wizardry, albeit with less resting.

Keep in mind that FF1 is way too archaic now, even other games on SNES are already much more advanced in design so they won't be a chore to play if the problems you mentioned are too much for you.

Since you like Diablo I'd tell you to play Lunatic Dawn 3 since it's basically Diablo with multiple worlds but it's JP only and you need at least some basic Japanese skill to get it going, and there's really no FPS/RPG hybrid from Japan, unless you count King's Field, Shadow Tower or Baroque and even then they're more similar to Ultima Underworld, but check those if you feel interested.

JRPGs have come up with many unique systems so there's not reall a reason to say you don't like the genre after playing one game, you just need to find what you like.
They even made racing RPGs.
>>
>>2892441
Try the Romancing SaGa/SaGa Frontier games, they might be more of your liking.
And that ain't micromanagement, FF games are really simple mechanically, buying items and resting at an inn isn't really that different from what you'd do in Wizardry, albeit with less resting.

Keep in mind that FF1 is way too archaic now, even other games on SNES are already much more advanced in design so they won't be a chore to play if the problems you mentioned are too much for you.

Since you like Diablo I'd tell you to play Lunatic Dawn 3 since it's basically Diablo with multiple worlds but it's JP only and you need at least some basic Japanese skill to get it going, and there's really no FPS/RPG hybrid from Japan, unless you count King's Field, Shadow Tower or Baroque and even then they're more similar to Ultima Underworld, but check those if you feel interested.

JRPGs have come up with many unique systems so there's not reall a reason to say you don't like the genre after playing one game, you just need to find what you like.
They even made racing RPGs.
>>
>>2892536
Should have told him that FF8 scales enemies with your level and then laughed at him. I'm not gonna bullshit and pretend I don't grind, but I there's a point where it's just too much and he ground that point into dust.
>>
>>2892639
>FF1
>not relatively easy to get
>>
People can be "overwhelmed" by the "micromanaging" in FF games? What the fuck? The entire reason I play FF in the first place is to relax and get away from all the ridiculously convoluted shit in western games
>>
>farm training room to lv100 in ff8
OCD incarnate, but I still level to 100 before disc 4 cause underleveled omega is cheating.
>>
>>2889251
this is the funniest thing I've read all day. Diablo is not strategic and never has been, you follow a specific build and fight a specific way, period.
>>
>>2892441
>>2892852
>buying potions and resting at the fucking inn is micromanagement
What the hell
>>
>>2887576
as usual, first post /thread
>>
File: disgaea_3_event_11.jpg (277KB, 1000x563px) Image search: [Google]
disgaea_3_event_11.jpg
277KB, 1000x563px
>Play an RPG, doesn't reach LV 9999.

Why do you do this?
>>
File: floweybrow.gif (1KB, 127x133px) Image search: [Google]
floweybrow.gif
1KB, 127x133px
>>2897713
>>
>>2888638
no you can't just shut the fuck up you have no clue what you are talking about. jrpg has been around since before the PS1 even
>>
>>2897772
>>>/v/
>>
>>2888613
I agree that we don't make this distinction with any other genre but you have to admit that they are radically different sides of the same coin.
>>
>>2892490
My autism is kicking in.

You mean Advanced Dungeons and Dragons.
>>
>>2888613
I agree but didn't that shitty college humor recently do a video about like "every JRPG ever?" Where they basically make fun of it and single the genre out very specifically. Thus perpetuating the whole mess even further? Fuckin shit had 2,000,000 views and nobody knowed or cared. I guess the audience chose to laugh with them. Maybe I'm taking it too seriously. But this thread has convinced me the whole episode was something meant to be condescending towards JRPGs for stupid ass socioeconomical reasons. Thanks /pol/.
>>
>>2897794
Neither of them are board relevant, anon.
>>
I don't think I've ever gotten to Level 99 in any RPG I've played. The highest I got to recently was 53/4 in KH1.5. I think I got to around level 60 in Chrono Trigger but I can't remember exactly.

The main reason I never get there is because in most games you don't need to be level 99 to beat the game, normally it's for going after some secret dungeon/hidden boss or whatever.

Do any games give you an actual incentive to reach level 99? I remember hearing Shining in the Darkness has something like that.
>>
File: LunarisRPG.jpg (1MB, 1430x2430px) Image search: [Google]
LunarisRPG.jpg
1MB, 1430x2430px
>>2888613
>>
File: 143659209783.png (144KB, 1024x896px) Image search: [Google]
143659209783.png
144KB, 1024x896px
I just realized how few games I have actually reached the level cap.
>>
>>2900202
Not retro but Persona 3 instantly raises your HP and SP max to 999 when you hit level 99.
>>
>>2887573
>being a grinding, no-skill autist
>instead of being strategic, low-level run master race

I seriously hope
>>
>>2888613
Isn't JRPG not just a term used by /vr/ just to differentiate between westernized and Asian games? Such as Final-Fantasy-like versus diablo-like games?

I have to admit that I never heard of anybody else outside /vr/ doing such a dramatic distinction between both genres.
>>
>>2901165
Were you under a rock during the last 10 years?
>>
>Isn't JRPG not just a term used by /vr/
no. its been a thing since at least 3rd gen, if not before.

most people would just say rpg, even for mmo's, so you're right on that point at least. however, it does not make things simple by just saying rpg, because you have western aswell as japan (and others) in vidya, and pen and paper, and live action, etc etc etc.
>>
I wish we used terms other than JRPG and WRPG. At first glance you would expect these terms to just mean games developed in Japan or the West, but it really boils down to more of a genre difference as >>2901165 pointed out.

There are western games that play exactly like JRPGs, and I'm sure the reverse is true (although I can't think of any examples).

People get caught up in these semantic debates but it's just because the terms are misleading. Most people understand what is actually meant by JRPG vs WRPG.
>>
>>2901165
Welcome to 2006, anon. JRPG is a sub-genre or rpg now, and it means Dragon Quest/Final Fantasy/Shin Megami Tensei stuff.
>>
>>2891362

Dwarf Fortress is a simulation, fool. That's the whole point of it.
>>
>>2892441

Diablo and Deus Ex are okay but buying a few potions is too much work? You're trolling I guess?
>>
>>2888928
> you look like a goddamn tryhard moron.

Unlike the doughy chimp that commands somebody to suicide because they said the wrong thing about children's toys?
>>
>>2889185

Because having any sort of imagination AND having the skill and determination and money to finish creating a big game project is very, very rare.
>>
>>2887576

The funny thing is that Ulillillia is a more interesting and useful Internet presence than any poster on this board. By FAR.
>>
File: screen_3.jpg (73KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
screen_3.jpg
73KB, 320x240px
>>2901226
>I'm sure the reverse is true (although I can't think of any examples).
Lunatic Dawn series, King's Field and a shit ton of Wizardry-style games.
>>
>>2904585
>King's Field and a shit ton of Wizardry-style games
It doesn't make sense to mention them as WRPGs together. If you base it on the place of genre's origin, King's Field can't be an WRPG, because action RPG is a Japanese genre. And if you think that's it's irrelevant and count popularity of genre and amount of games, then Wizardry style games should be classify as JRPG, as they were more popular in Japan and while West dropped them in 80s and preferred Dungeon Master shit, Japanese kept making them up to these days.
>>
>>2904857
I have no idea what are you trying to say, I just gave examples of Japanese RPGs with western style gameplay.
>action RPG is a Japanese genre
So Ultima Underworld is a JRPG? Ok.
>>
>>2904862
>western style gameplay.
What does it mean?
>>
>>2904857
That doesn't make sense, the entire point it's how the J and the W just suggest the origin of the game but not anything else.
Then you can't talk about Wizardry-like games like Megaten but that doesn't mean Wizardry it's a JRPG or Megaten being a WRPG.
>>
This thread gave me a chuckle, because the last two RPGs I played were Phantasy Star and Ys Chronicles.
>>
>>2887573
Because if it's a cake walk at level 40 why would I bother to reach level 99?
>>
>>2904857
>because action RPG is a Japanese genre
>What is Ultima Underworld
>>
>game has no bench leveling
>constantly have to swap out your party members so everyone is about the same level

This is some frustrating garbage. It also makes reaching Level 99 that much more tedious.
>>
>>2905038
Game released almost decade later than first games in the genre?
Thread posts: 96
Thread images: 15

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.