[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Got this on the mailbox today...

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 15

File: shenmue_3763.jpg (67KB, 350x344px) Image search: [Google]
shenmue_3763.jpg
67KB, 350x344px
And got tired of the clunky controls, terrible voice acting, repetitive dialog ("I see" "sailor" like really? people not helping at all) and slow and boring music (only liked the menu theme though) the best part so far is playing those arcade games, does the game get any better?.
>>
Seems like you just wanted to play some action games and went in with the wrong expectation.
>>
>>2883848
No. It was awful when it came out and it's worse now.
>>
>>2883851
I went with the expectation of a good adventure game with fun time-sensitive sidequesting like in zelda majora's mask
>>
>>2883848
After shitting up the last Shenmue thread you decided to start a new one?
>>
I like Shenmue, but it really is a slow paced game. You're probably better off just not playing it if you can't get used to the pace.

Though judging by that post, you probably didn't actually play it. The whole sailor thing is a very, very minor part of the game that I didn't even notice the first time I played it. If anything, you should be complaining about "the black car" because that comes first and is just as repetitive if you don't ask the right people.
>>
>>2883869

MM sidequests were mostly just fetch quests and putting on a mask to do a trick.

And with no production value to go with them.
>>
File: twinpeaksep12_08.jpg (20KB, 400x298px) Image search: [Google]
twinpeaksep12_08.jpg
20KB, 400x298px
>>2883848
>terrible voice acting

go watch Twin Peaks. you'll understand Shenmue better after you realize that it's just a Japanized video game version of Twin Peaks.
>>
>>2883963
that show ruled, i wanna play it now
>>
>>2883860
No. No it wasn't. What you have there is an opinion. Not a fact. Learn the difference knob goblin.
>>
>>2883869

Sounds like you were looking for a bethesda game.

Shenmue on the otherhand is all about deep immersion and extreme attention to detail.
>>
>>2883963

There's also a Shenmue undub available.
>>
shit tier system has bad game made soley for autists. shocking
>>
>>2883848

There's already a Shenmue thread.

If you're too dumb to be able to use the catalog than that explains why you're too dumb to be able to play Shenmue.
>>
>>2883860
>No. It was awful when it came out
Sure. This is why just about everyone and their mother rated it 10/10 back then.
Now GTFO.
>>
>>2883848
>clunky controls
the method is to use variable pressure on the trigger to run/walk and use d-pad just for turning left right or pressing down once to 180
the emphasis was to use the 360 analouge to look around the environment, which would have been restricted with the d-pad.
its by deisgn.
its F.R.E.E duh.

>terrible voice acting
lol if you dont know Japanese yet or even play the undub

>repetitive dialog
shenmue had probably THE most amount of unique dialogue and it was all voiced

>slow and boring music
lol why am i even replying
what did you expect? hardcore?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5DRJ8miU34

you just dont get the game design and will never understand or appreciate it

so many people are quick to critique yet never mention what their preconceived expectations where

happy 16th birthday Shenmue
Release date(s)
JP December 29, 1999
NA November 8, 2000
EU December 1, 2000

dont forget its your last chance to back the shenmue 3 project via paypal today/tomorrow!

http://shenmue.link/order
>>
>>2884274
>shenmue had probably THE most amount of unique dialogue and it was all voiced
When it was new I'm sure it was, but I think quite a few games have come along since then with more.
>>
I always think the terrible voice acting works really well with the slow pace and clunky controls. It makes me feel like I've just had a line of k or some diazepam.
>>
>>2883848
For kids like you there's always candy crush
>>
Which emulator on pc will let me play the arcade games? Otherwise I'll buy a dreamcast and a sd adapter.
>>
>>2884357
Uh, MAME?
>>
>>2883848
Nice bait thread. Should have been a bit more subtle though.
>>
I love Shenmue as an interactive movie more so than a video game. It's a truly unique experience. It's hard to get into at first (especially because of the awkward controls/camera), but once you do, you just can't wait to see what happens next.
>>
>>2884357
Demul plays arcade games
is probably the most accurate emulator
i havent used the latest alpha but it used to get frame dips in some places which i found unacceptable

https://mega.nz/#!rUk0iCCb!PCTB95HqC0DRLYyc_5JT3SZjvyLOTmWJWXAs1GIShoo

it seems the internal resoloution x2 x4 x8 has been disabled for unknown reasons

http://pastebin.com/8WJsUUtw
v2 undub gdi disk 2 patch fix
https://www.mediafire.com/folder/24ydxz24po2iz//Shenmue%20Kogami%20Undub%20GDI

SD adapter is shit because you have to play cdi or iso and they are usually compressed or not undub
i was under the impression sdadapter could run GDI files but it cannot.
>>
>slow and boring music

what is wrong with you?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84jVIRENnVA
>>
Should I play it on Dreamcast via composite or just emulate? Also on 4:3 CRT or 16:9 tv with widescreen fix?
>>
>>2884668

I have Shenmue 1 and 2, but I'm holding off on playing on the hardware due to load times. An HD port is a distinct possibility now, so I'm waiting for that. If it doesn't come, then I'll be emulating.
>>
>>2884274
>making excuses for what might actually be the worst game of all time.

You are delusional, friendo.
>>
You either love or hate the game, the game isn't for everyone. I just beat the game and i can understand why the game has such a polarizing reception, the beginning so god damn boring it nearly makes you want to quit. But if you are patient and can wait the game will reward you for it. The 70-man battle, dock cart racing and working, the motorcycle sequence, You Arcade, and some of the battles you face on the way are what make the 1st Shenmue worth it. Yu Suzuki's experience at Sega all added up to this. Shenmue 2 is suppose to be much better than 1. I need to play it so who knows.
>>
>>2884968
>the worst game of all time bcus i said so
you might aswell pull out the 70m$ meme and how shenmue SINGLEHANDEDLY bankrupt sega and forced them out the hardware business.

>>2884641
good choice man, right in the feels.

>>2884668
both have pros and cons, what ever suits you.
emulation resume feature is sketchy, not 100% accuarate full screen crash, cnat play arcade games on nulldc, demul has framedips
but extra geometry is amazing and can play at higher resoloutions and take screenshots.
either way i reccomend the undub version

>>2884982
>The 70-man battle, dock cart racing and working, the motorcycle sequence, You Arcade, and some of the battles you face on the way are what make the 1st Shenmue worth it.

personally i dont even think they are the most redeeming parts, the atmosphere, scene and overwhelming details are far more admirable
now im an old ass man i understand what was trying to be conveyed much more in the design and flow of the game.
bravo YuSuzuki
hope enjoy shenmue 2 either way, it certainly is different in many aspects.
>>
>>2885016
> the atmosphere, scene and overwhelming details are far more admirable
You know what, i think you're right as well! Looking back the goal was to get the player to basically live in this area in 1986. Seeing the world through Ryo's eye and exploring the town, taking the time to get to know the world around you. Hence the emphasis on this FREE thing Sega was pushing. From talking to people, looking around your house and what not. Thats what makes Shenmue such a good experience. if thats what your trying to say.
>>
>>2885030
absoloutley.
I imagine it could be tough for a 2016 gamer to get into it now, but also at the time it was like mind blowing for me personally
>>
>>2884562
Yea asking that question was pretty dumb because I practically googled what I needed right after that. Currently have the latest alpha.

You can still change the internal resolution by selecting the old video plugin.

I think I may stick with the dubbed version for reasons involving rose-tinted glass.
>>
>>2883963
Really? Can you explain without spoiling anything? I recently started watching TP and I love it. Almost finished with it, too.
>>
>>2886034
The ending will mind fuck you but thats nothing new from David Lynch.
>>
>>2886034
It has cringe acting. Mr Palmer did it.
>>
>>2886347
The guy who played Leland Palmer did the voice acting?
>>
File: 1449541044615.jpg (9KB, 226x223px) Image search: [Google]
1449541044615.jpg
9KB, 226x223px
>>2884274

>lol if you don't know Japanese yet
>>
>>2886661

No he killed his daughter.
>>
>>2887202
Jokes on you. I already finished that part. Goodbye :D
>>
>>2887234
Oh

You could have saved yourself a lot of time and just watched Fire Walk With Me and get it all over it.
>>
>>2887252
Why would I do that? I wanna get the whole experience. Sure, the show can be slow, but it has those certain moments that make it worth it.
>>
OP is obviously underage and should therefore stick to current "games."
>>
File: 4L_IOKhAQjF.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
4L_IOKhAQjF.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>2883860

Wrong. Being able to rummage his house was an amazing first time experience.

Source: I got it the weekend it released
>>
File: 1438476366853.png (188KB, 492x440px) Image search: [Google]
1438476366853.png
188KB, 492x440px
Watch that recap of Shenmue 1 that was on the Xbox version of Shenmue 2 on youtube, then try 2 on the Dreamcast with japanese voices. 2 has more action, shit to do and you beat more much more people there.
>>2883887
>Ryo: about that black car...
>townfolks: what? I never seen black cars or black suits here
>Ryo: I mean on that day...
>townfolks: that day...
>ryo stares
>townfolks: ...
>Ryo: when it was snowing...
>townfolks: OH! you mean when your... that sucks man.. but i saw nothing
>Ryo: I see.
>keep looking around
>Ryo: Tom!
>Tom: Ry-oh!
>Ryo: Did y-
>Tom: No man. I am not suspicious at all and I am just a regular dancin' hotdog sellers man. I did not see anythin'
>Ryo: Okay. Bai Tom.
>look around
>someone: oh yeah! that car! it killed a cat and almost someone
>Ryo: you know where that person is?
>nope
>Ryo: I see.
>Ryo writes things on his diary
I mean, a bunch of people in town and only a small few noticed a fucking foreign black car in the neighborhood? Specially when they barelly have roads and the few they have are tight as shit? Those guys in town barely have cars too or motocycles, you even have to ask a guy later to borrow you one. A black car or someone driving crazy would be pretty unusual and a thing you would notice or hear when you have nothing to do... like in that town full of old people or sellers with stores that do nothing but stare at things
>>
>>2883869
You'd probably like the Yakuza series more than Shenmue. Shenmue is a game people like because of the slow nature and ridiculous attention to detail for nearly everything. If you didn't start rummaging through all the drawers and closets in Ryo's house the moment you gained control of him then Shenmue may not be the game for you.

>>2883963
No Shenmue is more like playing a poorly dubbed martial arts drama. A Japanized Twin Peaks would be Deadly Premonition.
>>
File: ryoicon.gif (919B, 32x32px) Image search: [Google]
ryoicon.gif
919B, 32x32px
>>2889958

>If you didn't start rummaging through all the drawers and closets in Ryo's house the moment you gained control of him then Shenmue may not be the game for you.

This is pretty much the perfect explanation.
>>
>>2889958
Yakuza has 20 minute cutscenes and a ton of mob politics in between the gameplay. I can see someone like him getting bored pretty quickly.
>>
File: 1197165474172.gif (647KB, 322x229px) Image search: [Google]
1197165474172.gif
647KB, 322x229px
>>2889974

It's the perfect game for people who like to explore every nook and cranny.

>mfw discovering the Sega Saturn in the cabinet under the tv
>>
>>2890069
You can play it if you win the games from the Tomato Mart.
>>
File: 1439420894233.png (58KB, 154x153px) Image search: [Google]
1439420894233.png
58KB, 154x153px
>>2890069
>you can actually play games on that Saturn
>the only way is winning by lottery at the tomato shop
>getting the top prize(cassette player) and 2nd prize(saturn games that are space harrier and hang on) are near impossible
Tried so many times and I would only get the 3rd prizes
>>
>>2890092
ESPECIALLY SINCE YOU BOUGHT MERCHANDISE!
>>
>>2890092
I guess ive always been lucky getting the games then.
>>
File: 1234941960013.jpg (14KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
1234941960013.jpg
14KB, 400x300px
>>2890069
>>2890092

Considering Shenmue takes place in 1985 is should have been a Master System, but I always just figured they made it a Saturn as a nod to Shenmue's original platform.
>>
>>2890107
The nightmares.
>>2890108
At the time I thought I had really really bad luck, but it was not just that, it is also hard to get.
At least i could play them at the arcade and the cassettes I could use Tom's player for free.
>>2890126
At 2000 I never knew that there was supposed to be a saturn version. I thought it was there because it was the previous Sega console. With the years, internet and Shenmuedojo I started to realize certain things like that or that there were bad endings in both games.
>>
>>2883978
I like how you can't pull that kind of shit here.
>>
>>2890089
>>2890092

I managed to get Space Harrier but it took a lot of tries.

>>2890107

Top kek

>>2889958

DP's 24-hour clock had the right timing. I always thought the days ended too quickly in Shenmue but hopefully they'll be longer in 3.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIE5oLzLwg0
>>
File: image.jpg (249KB, 755x1059px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
249KB, 755x1059px
>>2883848
Shenmue is a fucking masterpiece, you have ADD, etc.

I've only just started playing it, but as other Anons ITT are saying, the atmosphere and attention to detail are amazing. As of right now I'm looking for Charlie in Dobuita but I can't seem to find him. I'm trying to follow the routine the NPCs are hinting at, but I can't find him at the motorcycle shop or jacket shop.

Also, how do you practice more moves? I talked to that guy in the dojo (I forget his name) and I got to practice one move, but I haven't managed to since. I'm assuming it's related to the "Training" command that appears when you approach your bed, but I haven't tried it 'cause I'd rather buy capsule toys, play video games, and gamble than practice budo. I bet my dad's rolling in his grave.
>>
>>2894997
You can practice moves in the parking lot near the arcade.
>>
>>2894997

you can train anytime if you go to the parking lot just down from the arcade, towards the main street on the right.
albeit solo, and as you know you can sometimes practice with fuku-san at the dojo, he trains diligently every morning, be sure to speak to him and train earnestly!

bento lady
nagai industries
somewhere after 7pm
tattoos
???
sometimes you wont be able to activate a scene until a certain day
>>
File: latest[1].png (388KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
latest[1].png
388KB, 640x480px
To what extent do you guys think the Majora's Mask devs were influenced by Shenmue? The Clock Town aspect of the game seems to have been lifted almost wholesale from Shenmue's idea of an open world- NPCs with schedules, certain times to talk to people, different weather on different days, etc. Nowadays these things seem obvious, but before 2000 when MM came out, Shenmue was the only game I can think of that did these things.
>>
which one losers?
>>
>>2895126

It didn't have the depth of story, immersive detail, aesthetics, and production value to actually make the things you mention come into play in a meaningful way. They all came off very mechanistic in MM, it didn't feel natural at all.
>>
>>2895785
If you think Shenmue is better that's your opinion, but I'm saying that Nintendo got those ideas from Shenmue.
>>
>>2896270
I don't see how that's possible when they were released only 4 months apart. They were two games developed at the same time and used some similar ideas. That's all.
>>
>>2896284
Very good point, but I do wonder how long the dev cycle for MM was when it reuses almost all of its graphics from OoT. 4 months may have been enough time to shoehorn those elements in with most of the work already done.
>>
>>2896284

Shenmue and its features was heavily demoed for at least a year before it came out.
>>
>>2889874
I don't think it's that unbelievable that you wouldn't notice a Black Car on the Day The Snow Turned to Rain. come on now.
>>
I'm right there with you, op.

I don't understand why Shenmu fans want Shen 3 and not just hop over to Yakuza series. It's basically the same game.
>>
>>2898715
I like Yakuza more than Shenmue, but they're not the same. Shenmue is slower and more exploration based while Yakuza is faster and has more emphasis on combat.
>>
>>2898715
>It's basically the same game.

They have almost nothing in common aside from taking place in Japan and having you fight guys occasionally. Shenmue plays like a fully 3D adventure game while Yakuza is more like a fully 3D River City Ransom.
>>
>>2898715
Why people play Yakuza game if it's basically GTA in japan?

Your post sounds like this
>>
>>2899063
It's nothing like GTA. It's a beat-em-up RPG. It DOES have a lot of Shenmue influence, but it's all surface level stuff. Like you can go into arcades and play Virtua Fighter and win figures out of claw machines.
Thread posts: 74
Thread images: 15

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.