[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm playing this game currently and it's definitely

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 12

File: image.jpg (876KB, 2000x2515px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
876KB, 2000x2515px
I'm playing this game currently and it's definitely now among my favorites. What does /vr/ think of this game?
Also, point and click general.
>>
>>2882464
amazing music, amazing story, amazing atmosphere. Really great. I need to play the remaster, it was a buggy mess when I played the original with a bunch of band-aids to make it work on modern Windows.
>>
it's on sale on steam, should i get it?
>>
>>2882585
Yes. Definitely worth a try. But don't be afraid to use walkthroughs or hints since some puzzles are nonsensical. Plus its about the story more than anything.
>>
>>2882464
>point-and-click
You played it wrong.
>>
>>2885269
The new version on PC has a point 'n click mode along with the original tank controls.
>>
>>2882464
Not retro.

But play the Wadjet Eye Games PnCs. Gemini Rue is amazing. Also, try Resonance..both are available on Steam.

My retro recommendation are I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream and Sanitarium. Both are creepy games with a great atmosphere.
>>
>>2885376
I worded my last post incorrectly. When I said not retro, I was referring to my next sentence, not Grim Fandango. :Cheers:
>>
>>2882464
It would have been an amazing game if it wasn't made with full 3D movement.
>>
File: george1-540x359.jpg (60KB, 540x359px) Image search: [Google]
george1-540x359.jpg
60KB, 540x359px
>>2882464
grew up on money islans,grim,broken swords..timeless classics
>>
>>2885376
>Wadjet Eye Games
These are generally hit-and-miss.

Resonance is just "okay". It has a good interface but the puzzles and especially the story were lacking. Primordia is mediocre at best with its mass-market paperback fantasy/sci-fi story and undeveloped characters. The Shivah is good, and like you said, Gemini Rue is amazing and needs to be experienced by everyone. I played the first chapter of The Blackwell Chronicles and didn't like it, but I hear it gets better. I haven't played a Golden Wake.

Whatever you do OP, play Gemini Rue if you haven't already.
>>
I bought Grim Fandango on Steam during the Thanksgiving sale. My first two playthroughs, I managed to trigger two separate glitches that put the game into a state that rendered further progression impossible. On my third attempt the game crashed and erased my save. I said fuck it and refunded the game.

Shame. I really enjoyed the setting and what I got to see of the story. Might watch a playthrough on Youtube sometime.
>>
>>2882464

Seemed like a fun movie, maybe. The game was very tedious though. I quit playing. There are plenty of good movies around that don't have boring puzzles bolted onto them.
>>
>>2882464

I grew up with the classic kiddie point-n-clicks: math blaster, treasure... something, spy fox, putt putt, pajama sam.

As I got older I tried to go back and play the more "adult" titles like Grim Fandango and Secret of Monkey Island, but they didn't do much for me, I found them far too slow. Maybe I would have enjoyed them when I was younger and still used to playing slow click-em-ups.

"Dated" is a meme word but it sums up how I feel about these games. Maybe an emulator with a 5x fast-forward setting could make them better.
>>
>>2885747
If you managed to refund it you barely even played it at all. I haven't heard of any glitches leaving you unable to progress so it really sounds more like you just couldn't handle the puzzles m8
>>
File: atlantis.png (234KB, 800x1280px) Image search: [Google]
atlantis.png
234KB, 800x1280px
>>2882464
What's the second-best point and click?
>>
>>2885896

Full Throttle
>>
>>2885769
>Maybe an emulator with a 5x fast-forward setting could make them better.
Maybe you need some Adderall or Vyvanse.
>>
>>2885762
Are you that same guy who always has to stumble into these graphic adventure threads to shit them up and trash the genre with babbling about "plot coupons" and other drivel? If a particular genre offends your sensibilities you can always use the catalog's "hide" feature. I don't care much for most sports games beyond the old arcade type of game but I don't go around shitting up threads on the subject here just to ineffectually flaunt my supposedly superior tastes and try to rile up people who happen to be passionate about that genre.
>>
>>2885769
Honestly, barring most Sierra titles, these games are only too "slow" if you're not particularly adept at solving the puzzles and get hung up for long periods. And that's pretty much inexcusable if you're talking about most LucasArts titles (with the exception of the odd inclusions of a particularly cruel or obtuse puzzle, or those that require a sort of strange "cartoon logic" kind of approach. e.g. That "monkey wrench" puzzle in MI2 that only Americans would understand, the part in Full Throttle necessitating a labored, indiscriminate pixelhunt of kicking at a wall, and having to find the keychain left in the inside of a door in one of the hotel rooms or whatever. Broken Sword is not LucasArts but mostly similar in execution, but that goat "puzzle" is fucked.

I figured these games out pretty quickly even as an 11 year old without lingering so long that the games became tedious. For the harder puzzles, at most I would have to turn the game off for a while and would figure out what I'm supposed to do while lying in bed later on or something.

Those Humongous Entertainment games are shit in comparison to the best of the LucasArts and Sierra games even if you were a child playing them. I know Ron Gilbert was involved with them but they're still the worst of what he made. Thank God he is no longer doing kiddie stuff and he's back into the type of games he once made that made LucasArts and the point and click genres popular. Thimbleweed Park seems like it'll be pretty good and a return to form.
>>
>>2885747

You get like 2 hours to refund, so it's more likely that you got stuck (due to hard puzzles, meant for children) even with a walkthrough (which I'm sure you tried to use).

Sounds like your mentally retarded and unable to play a game which will have more long lasting impact than the cod 7 you replaced your purchase with.
>>
>>2885967
They're all too slow because of the character walking. There's no reason the characters can't instantly move to the place you click, because there is no risk involved in walking. It is literally only there to waste your time and pad out the game length.
>>
>>2882464
My favorite game of all time.
Not flawless, but very memorable.
>>
This little light o' mine...
>>
This was my first Steam purchase and I just finished it. I'm pretty bummed I finished it so fast but it's now up there as one of my favorites.

Funny enough, I purchased Psychonauts right afterwards without realizing it was also a Tim Schafer game.
>>
>>2885747
What glitch? I got one, but it was near the very end, and there's a workaround.
>>
File: giphy.gif (818KB, 500x372px) Image search: [Google]
giphy.gif
818KB, 500x372px
>tfw this game made you find skeletons attractive
>>
>>2882464
If anyone cares, the remaster will be free on PS+ this week. Everything else on there sucks though, as it has for most of this year.
>>
Ashes to ashes ...to ashes ...to ashes ...to ashes ...to ashes ...to ashes....
>>
Still one of my favorite parts of the game https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7EY-aPvPzg

Also when you try to pick up the kitty litter.
>>
File: 1423550108220.png (54KB, 615x439px) Image search: [Google]
1423550108220.png
54KB, 615x439px
>>2889820
>>
>>2889835
Such a good trip
>>
File: sadtoonlink.png (362KB, 1117x614px) Image search: [Google]
sadtoonlink.png
362KB, 1117x614px
>>2889820
>tfw you will never acquire skeleton husbando
>>
I never got how some of the characters, like Hector, in this game could be fat. They're skeletons.
Then again, I'm not sure how they can eat, drink, sweat, go to the bathroom, kiss, etc. Or how female skeletons had boobs. Smoking I can sort of believe because smoke is a gas.
>>
>>2889930
Suspension of disbelief. It's pretty much poked fun at in the game itself.

>"My carpal tunnel syndrome is really acting up."
>"But you don't have any... tendons."
>"Yeah, well, you don't have a tongue, but that doesn't seem to shut you up, now does it?"

Oh that note, I really loved the dialogue in this game.
>>
>>2889820
That was Tim Burton for me
>>
>>2890510
I did have a friend in high school who found Jack Skellington sexy. She was your typical fat weird Hot Topic "Wiccan" weeaboo though.
>>
>>2889820
To be fair, its all because of the character's personalities and great voice acting and these skeletons were one living humans so it's not that weird. I find it fun to envision what they once looked like with skin.

I think finding furries attractive is weirder.
>>
>>2890932
>I find it fun to envision what they once looked like with skin

Pretty much just a Hispanic/Latino Humphrey Bogart
>>
>>2885896
Hit the Road or Monkey Island 2.

Anyone notice how Sierra games never get any love in these threads?
>>
File: BE-shot1.png (128KB, 640x400px) Image search: [Google]
BE-shot1.png
128KB, 640x400px
>>2885660
I liked the last two games quite a lot, they're definitely -not- challenging or anything, and the story's not a high-art masterpiece, but the series has some memorable moments and the characters (especially the relationship with Joey and Rosangela) are developed enough that you want to keep playing to see where things go.
>>
>>2891072
Technobabylon
>>
>>2891057
I always felt Sierra's tendency to screw players over if they missed something in an adventure game was just poor game design/artificial difficulty. Really diminishes my appreciation of their output.
>>
>>2885762
I'll be honest, I use a guide with every classic LucasArts adventure game for that reason. The stories are the reason to play them. The puzzles are often nonsensical and frustrating.
>>
>>2885660
Technobabylon was good, too
>>
Rubacava was the comfiest place in the game
>>
>>2893908
Was definitely the high point in the game
>>
It's kind of a swansong for the genre, big, expensive, full of character and beauty, but with a replay value of exactly 0.
>>
>>2893914
There's plenty of replay value for adventure games that you played as a kid or whatnot because usually you can't remember the solutions to puzzles.
>>
>>2893920
But you remember every character/environment/plotline so having to re-figure out the puzzles is more of an annoyance than anything else. "How did I do this last time so I can get to the next set piece I remember" isn't exactly replay value, but that's just me.
>>
ANyone having an GPU error? how the fuck im having a gpu error with such an old game?
>>
File: gfs_28775_2_42.jpg (68KB, 1000x625px) Image search: [Google]
gfs_28775_2_42.jpg
68KB, 1000x625px
Horrible deaths in an adventure game: the game.
>>
>>2894413
Grim Fandango is notorious for refusing to play nice with new hardware.

You need ResidualVM.
>>
>>2894413
>trying to run a Windows 9x game on a Windows 8 box
You moron, you.
>>
>>2885660
Gemini Rue is really good. Enjoyed Resonance too especially the copier scene.
>>
>>2894413
Also, try using just one core while you play
>>
Anyone played Face Noir? It's a decent point-and-click adventure game with a similar vibe to Grim Fandango but more serious. Soundtrack is pretty nice too
>>
>>2885896
I really like the atmosphere in Riven.
>>
File: Membrillo.jpg (14KB, 231x248px) Image search: [Google]
Membrillo.jpg
14KB, 231x248px
>And before you know it, I'm up to my ass in azaleas.
>>
I'm not a fan of the genre, but it has a lot of personality and humor.
Thread posts: 60
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.