[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I've been looking at lists of the best games of all time,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 504
Thread images: 54

File: Phantasy Star001.png (15KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
Phantasy Star001.png
15KB, 640x480px
I've been looking at lists of the best games of all time, and I've noticed some Phantasy Star games make it onto the lists. My only exposure to the series is Phantasy Star Online and PSO2, so I'm wondering what of the non-MMO games are worth playing?
>>
1, 2 and 4.

3 is literally unfinished. 90% of the rooms you walk into are empty and there's like 6 NPCs per town. Some people apologize for it, but naw dawg
>>
File: cho aniki stage boss.gif (8KB, 264x357px) Image search: [Google]
cho aniki stage boss.gif
8KB, 264x357px
>>2834524
PS4 is basically Sega's FFVI and is one of the best period JRPGs. Great visuals, OST, characters, story. Definitely a must play.

PS1 is good and actually holds up better than FFI in my opinion. It's basically Wizardry and Might and Magic meet Dragon Quest, a solid classic graph-paper dungeon crawler. If that sounds up your alley, give it a play, but you might find it a little dated.

PS2 is a transitional game between I and IV and is supposed to be great with a good story, but I haven't played much of it.

PS3 is the black sheep of the series with some good ideas but incredibly broken execution, delivered by an entirely different team in a rushed development period and as a result plays, looks and sounds like a fever dream. Only play it as an oddity.
>>
3 is bad, not even by the same team
>>
File: 1403285846741.jpg (105KB, 775x703px) Image search: [Google]
1403285846741.jpg
105KB, 775x703px
1 is charming and a really fun set of worlds to explore. If you plan to play it be sure to use the translation patch with FM sound, it makes the experience so much better. I'd go as far as to say that it's the best RPG of the 80's, beating out DQ3 and it's own sequel, PS2.
2 is a bit of a step down, the music and environments are much less memorable but it's got some cool ideas and genre innovations.
3 is all right. Cool ideas, but the execution could have been a lot better. Pretty standard RPG for the time. I wouldn't bother playing it unless you're a completionist or just really like RPGs from the period.
4 has the best storytelling method a non-voiced, non-FMV game could possibly have, fun characters, good music and worlds to explore. It's overall the best, though it's quite easy. The difficulty is on par with a 90's Final Fantasy game.

You could start with 4 if you want the cream of the crop right away or 1 if you're a bad enough dude to handle it. I would not recommend starting with 2.

Oh, there's also a bunch of text adventures for super completionists, still haven't done the Game Gear one myself, and PS Gaiden. The less said about Gaiden the better. At least 3 can be fun if you're an old fart like me, but Gaiden is just crap no matter how you look at it.
>>
play the ps2 ports of 1 & 2. they're translated now and play well on lowend systems.
4 is undoubtedly the best of the series. i played it for the first time a few months ago, and it holds up even today.
>>
PS 1 is my favorite rpg of all time. I feel that in certain aspects it still holds up graphically. It has one of the most coherent and interesting story llines of any rpg and has three worlds and a floating castle to explore. A perfect melding of real world myth, sword and sorcery and science fiction.

PS 2 is a solid game and continued the storyline. I definitely recommend.

PS 3 is definitely the odd man out in the series. It's more of a side story but still worth playing.

PS 4 is another really good game and picks up the story again from 1 and 2. It kind of gets back the feel of PS 1.

If you play them definitely play in order 1, 2 and 4 but I would also just play 3 to if your at it.
>>
>>2834690
>play the ps2 ports of 1 & 2.
If they were ports maybe this wouldn't be as horrible a suggestion. (Although the redone art and music would still be shit) but they're from-scratch remakes and play very differently.

I cannot disagree with this recommendation hard enough. I wish I could disagree it out of existence. It's just gonna ruin your experience.
>>
File: Phanta.jpg (618KB, 1001x1001px) Image search: [Google]
Phanta.jpg
618KB, 1001x1001px
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BcIKygpGzoc

PS 1 was such a comfy little RPG. Definitely worth a play.
>>
http://www.romhacking.net/translations/1069/
http://www.romhacking.net/translations/72/

or

http://pscave.com/psg1/download/PhantasyStarG1.Lutz.edition.v2-10.zip
http://pscave.com/psg2/download/PSGEN2-beta_0_8.rar

>>2834712
you can stop being autistic now
>>
>>2834524
Just to add a bit onto what other people have said:

PS1 has a pretty brutal start, but seems to even out later. It's also really easy to get lost since there is no automap and the dungeons can get fairly big.

PS2 has a lot of dungeon crawling, and surprisingly few bosses. If you already know you aren't going to run into one of the 4 or 5 bosses in the game, it might be easier to deal with. It also has a really strange feel about it, which makes it unique even when you compare it to other PS games.

PS3 is a little closer to PS2, but the battle system is so odd that there's pretty much no strategy. You just put it on autobattle and heal sometimes.

PS4 is a good game as mentioned, but since there are a ton of references to previous games, it's tough to start there first.

>>2834712
The PS1 remake seems really different, but isn't the PS2 one mostly a graphical update with some added super moves? It seemed like they did some stuff with party member and monster stats too, but is there that big of a balance change?
>>
File: black-kid-oh-snap.gif (2MB, 320x206px) Image search: [Google]
black-kid-oh-snap.gif
2MB, 320x206px
>>2834807
>>
>>2834810
PS1 was a total rebuild, PS2 was just a port with the added super-moves as you call them. The other changes aren't a big deal.
>>
>>2834810
Phantasy Star 2 has three bosses, not including the unwinnable one, and all are mandatory.
>>
all are worth a play.
just play 1 with FM
>>
>>2835481
Yeah, but you technically fight Neifirst twice even though you aren't supposed to win the first one, and there's the unwinnable boss battle against the sentries that arrest you and take you to the satellite.
>>
>>2834524
All of the games are pretty good.

PS1 is a little grindy at the start, but after it gets going the game is pretty well-balanced. It's almost always better to keep Odin equipped with guns instead of axes or swords, to spread the damage out a little better. The remake is okay, but it makes some serious changes to the story and completely changes the combat engine. It's worth playing if you're a fan of the series, but I wouldn't really recommend it otherwise.

PS2 is pretty heavy on the 3rd-person dungeon crawling. Your combat ability is mostly dependent on your gear, so it takes a little while to get over the part where everyone is ineffective at the start of the game. Story-wise it's a bit sparse, and what plot is there is kind of depressing.

PS3 is essentially a side story, with some odd combat gimmicks (attacks never miss, for example). You can skip it and not miss much, plot-wise. Personally, I've found that the game has a lot of replay value in making different plot decisions or trying for a low-level or solo character run, but you can get nearly everything there is from the game by playing through it twice (once for Ayn's quest, and once for Nial's).

PS4 is hands down one of the best RPGs I've ever played, and even though the story is pretty stereotypical, the execution is nearly flawless. There aren't any real low points to the game - my only complaint is that some parts are perhaps a little too easy.

The text adventure games are all pretty fun, though they sometimes pull some shit out of the left field that even a creative player might not expect. I will give them points for making it difficult to make the games unwinnable, though (Shir's and Kain's are my favorites).
>>
>Phantasy Star II Text Adventures
>USE SHOTGUN ON WATERFALL
>>
>>2835841
>but it makes some serious changes to the story
What changes does it make? I thought it was the remake of II that made a semi-big change relating to a single character.
>>
>>2839065
Can't speak for PS1, but the change in 2 is just Nei, and from what I heard barely anything was added regarding her. She gets an appearance in the ending cutscene, though.
>>
>>2834524
1 and 2 are alright.
3 isn't as good and is tedious thanks to frequent random battles, though the generation system is kind of neat.
Play 4. It's a masterpiece.
>>
File: everything a man could wish for.jpg (163KB, 631x637px) Image search: [Google]
everything a man could wish for.jpg
163KB, 631x637px
>>2834807
Glorious.
>>
>>2840990
I know this feel. At the arcade/bowling alley after winning big.
>>
>>2841173

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oomCIXGzsR0

then you cash in a million tickets for a plastic lizard.
>>
>>2840990
>>2841173
>>2841178
>you never won big in Chuck-E Cheese
I went there with my nephew recently and it seems they're going through an odd inflation phase. Things cost much more tickets than they used to
>>
>>2839065
>>2839083
The PS1 remake removes pretty much all of the non-linearity of the game (by forcing you to do everything in a specific order), and it gives all of the bosses a pretty stupid story about being "evil guardians" or whatever.

The PS2 remake lets you resurrect Nei but only if you jump through some particularly absurd hoops - you have to see every line of dialogue in the entire game up to Climatrol. It's more of an easter egg than a serious change to the way the game plays.
>>
>>2842025
>you have to see every line of dialogue in the entire game up to Climatrol
*And have a completed save file from the PSI remake, and possibly one or two other things.
>>
I'm playing PSII remake and they definitely rebalanced it because Amia is bad compared to her original version and now I don't even know who will end up 4th permanent party member.

But damn, the game comes across even heavier than before. For example, after you rescue Tiem don't go straight to Darum and just walk around the towns and talk to NPCs. It's a bit cheesy but also sad.
>>
>>2834807
Does the first link contain the FM patch? I started PS4 a little while ago, but might as well start from PS1 and get the best experience possible.
>>
>>2835841

The depression of PS2 is what makes it so awesome. It's classic sci-fi in its nihilism.
>>
1 and 4 are the best.

Also tip for people who liked 1: go play Lagrange Point for the NES right now. It's pretty much Konami's Phantasy Star.

I wish that Sega CD one came out.
>>
File: Ps4characters.gif (18KB, 305x228px) Image search: [Google]
Ps4characters.gif
18KB, 305x228px
Imo this is the greatest JRPG of all time. I've never had this might fun playing one. It could get really challenging, but unlike PSII (which i think is quite overrated, if still enjoyable), it isn't this ridiculous constant stop-start mess of difficulty. In II you'd be shit until you fought like a trillion enemies and constantly kept having to return to town with escapipe or you'd be KO'd by the ENTIRELY TOO AGRESSIVE RNG, and then you'd be the right level hours later, and then you had to navigate the bullshit mazes the game called dungeons (namely via chutes with uncertain destinations), and solve puzzles without a single clue.

There are positives about II but IV felt a lot better and could be reasonably beaten.
I STILL have not beaten II, and I'm using the hint book and annotating it to navigate dungeons.
Oh and the Visiphone is a very essential item to make the game easier and there's absolutely no explanation in game or the hint book on how to get it.

Basically the PS games are awesome, but understand that II gets the most hype from the press, and don't expect it to be your absolutely favorite . play them all at least a little bit and form your own opinion.
>>
>>2835841
>>2843053
PS2's ending is fucking amazing, especially with what the localization team did to it.
>>
>>2841372
They all are to stay competative. There is a KDB where and a ps3 costs something like 500,000 tickets. We did the math and it would be over $800 even if you won maximum tickets at the highest paying game.
>>
>>2843082

The story in it was impressively ahead of its time.
>>
>>2843082
What did they change?
>>
>>2843173
the ending in the japanese version pretty much says you triumphed over the earthlings, but no one knows for sure what happened to rolf and his gang, the localization makes everything completely ambiguous, the last thing you see is rolf and his friends preparing to fight the earthlings

You just don't see that a lot in games.
>>
So I started playing PS1 with the translation patch thanks to this thread. I really like the presentation and the FM audio. The animation in the dungeon crawler sections is spot on and somehow better than most other console dungeon crawlers.

There seems to be a shitload of grinding at the start though. It's a good thing that you're allowed to save wherever you want, but I've neglected doing so and wiped a couple of times. Whats a good level to start exploring at? I got alisa up to level 4 and then died a couple of times.

Is there anything other than 50 meseta in that dungeon in the first town?
>>
>>2843215
Last time I got up to 7 or 10 I think. After you get going there's not a lot more grinding to do, just what you'll get from exploring was adequate as I remember. Dungeons get crazy, you'll need pen and paper.
>>
>>2843221
okay thats good, someone was saying earlier that it's got a rough start, so I'm just getting the grind work out of the way.

>you'll need pen and paper
I've been having some serious issues concerning this. I live in a small country town and there is no fucking place to buy exercise books, so grid paper is fucking hard to come by.
Could you recommend a program for my netbook thats good for map making? Everything I find on google is really complex shit for D&D. maps
>>
>>2842883
>Does the first link contain the FM patch?
Hmm? It's just a translation patch, but it's for the Japanese version of the game. So yes, playing that version will give you the FM sound if your emulator or real hardware can do it. For emulators be sure to check your audio settings, FM my be disabled by default.
>>
>>2843237
>>you'll need pen and paper
>I've been having some serious issues concerning this.
Yeah, no worries. The whole pen & paper thing is bollocks. All you need is a basic sense of direction and you'll do alright. Getting lost is half the fun.

I 've managed to finish the game more than once without looking at or making maps. My memory is shit and my sense of direction mediocre. If I can do it, you can!
>>
>>2843389
Yeah I sorted it out. Using GenesisPlus on a wii so I can play on a crt without having to spend $50 on an hdmi to composite converter.

Had to go into audio settings and make FM default to on. Sounds great. Honestly a whole lot better than without the FM.
>>
I beat PS1 on the GBA PS Collection with the help of some graph paper. It was fun, and surprisingly grindless after the notorious initial hump, which is only a tiny fraction of the overall game length.

I started PS2 and got up to when the biologist mage guy joined your team. It was definitely trickier and required multiple trips in the dungeons like a dungeon crawler in order to survive. Mapping it was also much tougher thanks to the lack of a grid system and the field of vision being so small. Basically my maps were less accurate and more interpretive. In a way this kind of mapping proved to be kinda fun seeing as how my janky ass maps could still get me where I needed to go. I still have the maps so I would like to go back to continuing the game.
>>
>>2843651
Also...

>>2843392
For what it's worth there's no way in hell I'd have been able to mange the game without PnP. I was able to do a couple of the earlier dungeons while getting lost and relying on directions, but later the dungeons get bigger and have 6 or 7 stories. I suppose the fact that there's barely any good treasure on the map helps, but I'd highly recommend PnP if it gets worse for OP.

>>2843237
My suggestion would be to just print graph paper out if you have access to a printer.

http://incompetech.com/graphpaper/square.html
I suppose managing some loose leafs would get a bit cumbersome, but it's a free option that wouldn't use up a crapton of ink. You could put them in a 3 ring binder or something.
>>
>>2843660
Thats a pretty good suggestion on just printing some graph paper out myself. I used a program called Grid Cartographer which is pretty nice and has good keyboard controls for just popping down grid squares. I got to the dungeon to the east of the first town, it's like three or four floors deep from what I can tell so far and after falling down some holes and climbing some stairs, my maps started to get senseless, I could have just fucked up at one point but now for where I am the map is basically useless.

So I've abandoned the map, run out of magic and healing items, and the item I thought would teleport me to the entrance does nothing, so I'm a battle or two away from my party dying. It's a shame, I got so many levels and found a nice weapon for Myau. Oh well, all part of the fun.
>>
And I wiped. God fucking damnit, I think I even got back to the ground level but I encountered a pack of 3 bat men with my back against the wall with only Alisa left alive.

Lesson learned, keep well stocked with items and don't fuck up your map.
>>
>>2843734
Were you mapping doorways and stairs properly? I don't have my old maps on me but from what I remember, a doorway counts as its own square and stairs down and stairs up are on the same square on the next map. I would kind of make an indentation with my pencil so I could see where the stair is supposed to be on the next page. Same with holes. T

There's maps online (like in this very thread) but now I kinda want to find my map book and take some pictures of some of my PS1 and PS2 maps.
>>
>>2843750
The program handled stairs pretty well, you place a down stairs tile on the map and then it places an up stairs tile on the same coordinate for the floor below.

I think it may be the doors which messed me up. I was doing it this way (# = floor, | = door):
#|# so the space before traversing the door and the space after make up two spaces. Are you saying that it's like this: #D# making it three spaces?

Printing out that graph paper right now, I'll prefer to have physical pages for later.
>>
File: phantasystarmap.jpg (374KB, 1062x598px) Image search: [Google]
phantasystarmap.jpg
374KB, 1062x598px
>>2843760

I think it may be the doors which messed me up. I was doing it this way (# = floor, | = door):
#|# so the space before traversing the door and the space after make up two spaces. Are you saying that it's like this: #D# making it three spaces?

That's exactly what I mean. Here's a picture of a map from my graph book that I found. I did the same mistake you did early on and it messed with me too, so don't feel bad. Those concave lines I have on my map are how I represented doorways (conveniently placed in front of a bunch of pitfalls, what a fun dungeon!)

Also, if you print your maps, you may want to consider making the lines more translucent/gray instead of straight black, and having them be thin. I remember that when I switched to another book (ran out of paper in the first), the 2nd book had thicker lines which made drawing walls a bit more tedious. It'd probably be even worse if the lines are black ink lines instead of the thin blue lines you see in notebook paper. I suppose you could also use a thicker pencil, or even a pen if you're daring. But it'd probably be easier to just print out thin/faded lines from the start. Plus it uses less ink.
>>
>>2843795
Awesome, thanks mate. That's a big help. I used the free online graph paper link and got it to do some nice 5mm square grid paper. I also used the option to have a thicker line represent the center axis so multi floor maps should be easier to manage. Got it all printed out in draft mode so the lines are extra thin and faint.

It would be nice to know whereabouts on the paper to start each map, but that's been a part of dungeon crawling since it's birth so I can't really complain.

Despite my tragic wipe I'm really enjoying Phantasy Star so far. I like how in the translation Alisa really casually just tells people she's going to assassinate the ruler of Palma.
>>
Are there easymode patches for any of the games other than 2?

I don't have time for the grind, but I'd like to go through the journey.
>>
>>2844116
There's the PS2 collection which has options to speed up your progress.
It allows you to switch between Japanese and English text.
>>
>>2843053
>>2843082
Oh, I absolutely agree, but it's a bit unusual for RPGs, so I figured I'd mention it for the OP.

>>2843215
I usually go up to 4-7 or so before I start exploring away from Camineet. It's really whatever you're comfortable with, but the RNG can't still screw you over if you're stupid or unlucky until closer to 10, I think.

>>2843237
The only dungeon that really helps to map yourself is Baya Malay, and that's at the end of the game. You'll be fine if you don't do anything retarded (I've gotten stuck in a few places on Dezo because I wasn't paying attention).
>>
>>2844291
*the RNG can still screw you over
>>
>>2844291
But can't you save anywhere in Phantasy Star? at least I could in the GBA version. Saving in the middle of a map, coming back, and expecting to head memorize the directions you've gone down in those featureless dungeons...mapping just seems easier. Then again I like mapping after my time with Etrian Odyssey. It's cathartic.
>>
>>2844291
Yeah I ended up grinding to level 7 and now the wilderness is a lot more manageable. Also, I'd say that the cave near scion is worth mapping, as I got hopelessly lost there with all of the pitfalls and died. Luckily for now there was other stuff to do so I went to the cave north which was much easier and had cake at the end.
>>
>>2843679
>Mindlessly Wandering while mindlessly battling endless hordes of random encounters for hours isn't my idea of fun,
Aye and that's where the sense of direction comes in really. If you bother to map the dungeons then I can guarentee you spent more time 'mindlessly wandering' in them than I did.
>>
>>2844743
Oh, I never bothered to map that cave. Just wait until you've got someone who can cast Exit (both Myau and Noah learn it), fall to the bottom floor and nab the Iron Claw, then magic your way out. It's not really worth walking through unless you're desperate for exp/meseta.
>>
>>2845291
sense of direction is useless when you don't know on which floor you are, which spaces you haven't explored on so on. A couple dungeons in PS1 are simple enough that you can navigate them simply by going right each turn until you reach your destination, but I going through something like Baya Malay or any PS2 dungeon from Climatrol on without mapping is maddening. I really doubt that you've been faster than me, who took a couple minutes of mapping to save hours of pointless going in circles.
>>
>>2846128
Mapping in PS2 is ass because of the top down perspective. You draw one line slightly too long or too short and suddenly the areas overlap in the wrong way and your map is ruined.
I haphazardly managed the Climatrol but ultimately gave up in the dungeon with the countless holes and just used a complete map.
>>
>>2846048
I ended up smashing it later, when the scientist building your spaceship says to piss off and kill slimes or something. It was a pretty sweet dungeon once my map made sense.

Favourite dungeon so far is the one where Lutz has a fucking wizard duel with his master holy shit!

Really, thanks to the OP for starting this thread and getting me interested in this game.
>>
>>2842883
>FM/PSG switching (press Pause on the title screen)
YES
>>
>>2846128
>I really doubt that you've been faster than me
Doubt all you want, but not using maps does not neccessitate getting hopelessly lost. You're seriously overestimaing the difficulty of going mapless if you have to make the assumption that I frequently ended up going in circles.
>>
>>2848525
Didn't know you could do that. That's groovy.
>>
>>2848878
I never used maps either. Marueira island and Dezolis were a bit of a brain exercise, but it's not impossible.
I did sometimes curse myself for not doing it tho.
>>
File: vol1.jpg (137KB, 357x501px) Image search: [Google]
vol1.jpg
137KB, 357x501px
Not only Phantasy Star II invented dead heroines, it also invented blue haired swordsmen.
>>
File: Leon.(FF2).full.1367102.jpg (109KB, 805x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Leon.(FF2).full.1367102.jpg
109KB, 805x1000px
>>2850397
>it also invented blue haired swordsmen.
>>
File: phantasystar2map.jpg (468KB, 1062x598px) Image search: [Google]
phantasystar2map.jpg
468KB, 1062x598px
>>2846147
I didn't get far in PS2 before I got distracted, but I did eventually have a system for mapping PS2 dungeons. I would draw them to scale with 4 steps equaling a square The maps were not nearly as neat as my PS1 ones were >>2843795 but they did get the job done.

If it got to complex later on, I think I'd do a mixture of rough mapping and written directions.
>>
>>2851032
Aw, did they go for a top down view instead of awesome first person dungeon crawling for PS2?
>>
>>2834773
Love this so much.
>>
>>2851159
I'm afraid so.
>>
File: ikuto.png (662KB, 3102x3588px) Image search: [Google]
ikuto.png
662KB, 3102x3588px
>>2848902
I mostly avoided using maps (but I definitely did wander around hopelessly), but I gave up and used a map for Ikuto.

Best dungeon ever, though.

>>2851159
As disappointing as it is for those of us that like 1st-person dungeon crawling, trying to traverse the giant nightmare mazes that masqueraded as dungeons in PS2 in 1st person perspective would have made them so much harder. I can't imagine trying to do Ikuto in 1st-person.
>>
File: DSC00250.jpg (356KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
DSC00250.jpg
356KB, 1024x768px
>>2834524
yes you should play these games OP, buy them digitally, emulate them I don't give a shit. JUST PLAY THEM
>>
File: Phantasy Star 2.jpg (36KB, 590x443px) Image search: [Google]
Phantasy Star 2.jpg
36KB, 590x443px
>>
File: DSC00256.jpg (340KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
DSC00256.jpg
340KB, 1024x768px
>>
>>2851396
Speaking of PS carts, I swear PS4 cost something like $70-80 when it was released for some reason. This is compared to other Genesis carts that were like 50-60 tops.
>>
>>2851396
Which prince was that supposed to be on the cover? The rest of the image (a pink moon and Alisa 3 in the background) makes me think this is Siren and Ayn, but Ayn has bright blue hair and a white cape.

Obviously it could just be a case of "the artist didn't know shit about the game", but I was wondering if there was any official (or more thought-out) explanation than what I can come up with.

>>2851410
I know PS2 was in about that price range (though it was sold with a strategy guide and maps), but yeah, most of these games were pretty expensive.
>>
>>2851263
>>2851372
That's a shame, half of the fun I'm having right now with the first game is drawing my own maps. I think it's pretty amazing how a master system game has the best looking dungeon crawling I've seen in an rpg from that era.
>>
>>2851372
>I can't imagine trying to do Ikuto in 1st-person.
I don't really see extra problems. The main issue is keeping track of which hole leads where and that wouldn't change with the perspective.
>>
I really want someone to make another phantasy star game like they use to make them before the MMOs. Imagine a real follow up to 4.
>>
>>2851565
Nope, just a case of the artist not knowing shit about the game.
>>
>>2851812
There's Star Ocean 5 coming out soon. Similar setting but different battle system.
>>
So what is the best versions of these games? I'll be playing them on a PSP with cfw.
>>
>>2852319
Playstation 2 Phantasy Star Complete Collection
Maybe Generation 2 if you feel like it.
>>
>>2852319
Really recommending the Picodrive emulator with Phantasy Star 2. Phantasy Star 2 is slow as molasses, so the frameskip will eliminate tedium
>>
>>2852336
Is that also on the psp? I'm looking for a new game to play while I commute to work.

>>2852365
I'll do that then. Ty anon. Is the original rom ok or is there a better hack/translation.
>>
>I've noticed some Phantasy Star games make it onto the lists
What a waste
>>
>>2834524
Dude, you can go to different planets! King of 8bit rpgs, without a doubt.
>>
>>2852804
Ultima 2 did it first.
>>
>>2852821
Ultima 2 was timelines though, not planets.

And it was a bad game.
>>
>>2852858
In the aftermath timeline you can travel to the other planets of the solar system by hijacking a rocket in the KGB spaceport.
>>
>>2851263
>>2851792
Pretty much all the dungeons minus the first couple and certain the last half pretty much need maps. Total mazes.
>>
>>2843053
This. Thank you.
>>
>>2834524
I didn't realize Phantasy Star 3 was so bad. I remember in Phantasy Star Online Blue Burst (my only exposure to Phantasy Star too) they remixed PS3's title theme in some of the BGM. Why would they pay homage to a shit game? Either way the music was nice at least.
>>
>>2854373
>Either way the music was nice at least.
There's your answer. It's perfectly possible for good games to have bad music and for bad games to have good music.
>>
>>2854373

I look at it as being a drastic change from the rest that kinda screwed its chances. A new team doesn't help matters.
That being said, I don't think it's a *BAD* game, even despite the laundry list of problems/possible improvements. I still play through it at least once a year, through all endings.
Even despite the shit artwork and stuff they used for the first two, I would have loved to see an upgrade done for PS3...
>>
>>2854373
I don't think SEGA are ashamed of PS3. They wanted to include PS3's Wren in PSO and PSO2 has some references like NPCs named after 1st Gen MC and his possible wives. They just treat it like some gaiden game.
>>
>>2854373
The music was simply the best part of PS3.

I'm pretty sure they re-hired the same composer for PS4.

It had a neat twist too, but that's not enough to make a game good.
>>
>>2834524
tl;dr for everything else in this thread:
everything but 3 dude ( different design team and glossing over entire lifetimes at large points in the story. its kind of the highlander two of the series in that most ignore it ).
the first phantasy star came out around the same time as dragon quest or dragon warrior one and before final fantasy and was amazing for its time as well as holding up well. two came out in north america eith a strategy guide i would advise finding before pplsying it. four is the most accessable one and definitely eorth the thirty hours or so of game play :3. though there are some translation changes in the names which make some callbacks to the old games confusing if youre unaware of them
>>
So I think I'm pretty close to finishing PS1, I'm the anon who started playing back here >>2843237
Going through Baya Malay tower and having a blast with all of the map making. Thanks for getting me on to this fantastic fucking game /vr/

>>2855713
Also it allows for more characters in item, character, spell and menu names.
>>
File: IMG_0549.jpg (301KB, 855x639px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0549.jpg
301KB, 855x639px
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUU-

Will you just fucking hit the guy, Alisa?! Is that so much to ask?!
>>
Cool, just finished the first game, on to the second one!
>>
>>2858007
No worries, you saved right in front of him right? Right, Anon? Right in front of his room, a save?
>>
>>2858214
Haha, yeah mate. Just got away with a win the next attempt. I'd had to go back to town and heal after my first few tries because I didn't have enough MP left over for the fight. Going through two long fucking dungeons trying to conserve HP was pretty stressful, but as illustrated in this post >>2858074 I just fucked up Dark Force and am on to PS2 now. It's kind of a shame going from a really nicely translated game to the original release. It's not even the dialogue I care about, its the character limit for menu entries and character names.

Overall, fantastic fucking game. Would play again, though it won't be as fun now that I've got a notebook full of maps.
>>
>>2858243
There's a retranslation of PS2 as well, but it's not near as well done (and won't run on hardware). Still it clears up a few story things that the official translation got wrong. Can't remember what it did for names. I think it uses the Japanese names but I'm pretty sure the 4 character limit remains. (So Eusis becomes Usis)
>>
>>2858256
>and won't run on hardware
what? i've played generation using hdloader and it worked fine
>>
>>2858507
He's speaking about a re-translation of the Megadrive original for Phantasy Star 2.
>>
1 is great, but it was intended as a rival to Dragon Quest and so it's full of grinding. Get an experience patch if you don't feel like wasting your time.

2 had a good story and nothing else. Combat is somehow worse and the dungeons are bullshit, not to mention the awkward edge-scrolling.

3 is weird. It's like a completely different team just wanted to rip off DQ5 and forgot to finish it. I'd skip it.

4 is incredible and must be played by everyone. Best RPG on the Genesis and a worthy rival to RPGs on the SNES.
>>
>>2859029
For a moment I thought I was reading somebodys thoughts on FF1-4 until you mentioned Genisis
>>
>>2859029
>Get an experience patch if you don't feel like wasting your time.

It's only a grindfest for the first 7 or so levels. After that it's smooth sailing.
>>
>>2859029
>Get an experience patch if you don't feel like wasting your time.
You have to be kidding. There is no grinding for levels at all once you're strong enough to walk from the first town to the second. As it is you hit the level cap well before the final dungeon, speeding up exp gains would only make those fake level up messages come quicker.

>Some twits keep grinding for exp at max level because the game makes them think they're still gaining levels. They then claim this grinding is mandatory.
>>
>>2859029
>2 had a good story and nothing else. Combat is somehow worse and the dungeons are bullshit, not to mention the awkward edge-scrolling.
How are the dungeons bullshit? You're expected to map them just like in 1, and I think you could disable the attack animations for the combat to be fore fluid. Or was that 4?

>3 is weird. It's like a completely different team just wanted to rip off DQ5 and forgot to finish it. I'd skip it.
It's the other way around, PS3 came out two years before DQV. But yeah, it's definitively the most forgettable of the main series.
>>
>>2834524
I have only played 4 on the genesis and I thought it was one of the best RPGs I had ever played (I liked it way better than Shining Force) The only downside is that the spell names are confusing as fuck and it is hard to tell what it is they do without looking it up online.
>>
>>2861818
>You're expected to map them just like in 1
We've already gone over this map thing. You're not expected to do anything. Plenty of people don't need maps.

I say that but I totally caved in and looked up a map for Ikuto. Still, that was my own weakness. Maps aren't at all necessary.
>>
>>2834524
>I'm wondering what of the non-MMO games are worth playing?

The first one, preferably with the retranslation patch if you feel like messing with it.

The second one is censored to hell and back, and in ways that make me question Sega's personal ethics.

The third game and onward just rehash existing formulas and ideas, so innovation goes out the door at this point. Also, really poor translation quality.

tl,dr - Just give the first game a spin. That should give you a sufficient idea of what the non-MMOs were all about.
>>
>>2861908
Dunno, for me mapping is an integral part of the dungeon crawler experience and I would argue they were designed with that in mind, but I guess you're right and it's a matter of personal tastes. But don't go and blame the dungeon design if you get lost then.
>>
>>2861935

>The third game and onward just rehash existing formulas and ideas, so innovation goes out the door at this point. Also, really poor translation quality.

Dude, could you invalidate your opinion even MORE? I get that everyone has their own, but...DUDE!
>>
File: Raja.png (2KB, 222x222px) Image search: [Google]
Raja.png
2KB, 222x222px
>>2861935
>The third game and onward just rehash existing formulas and ideas, so innovation goes out the door at this point.
PS3 did everything BUT rehash existing ideas. That's why it's the black sheep of the series - because it doesn't really fit in. The plot wasn't focused on the main story at all (it's not even set in Algol), and you only get to see how it tied back to the main series by talking to some people in a town you didn't even have to go to. The multi-generational game made PS3 the only game that really played significantly differently for multiple playthroughs, and the way it handled techniques was unique (if not particularly good).

The only one you could really consider a rehash of anything at all was PS4 (the plot itself is a bit stereotypical for an rpg), which is easily the best-executed game in the series, and it brought plenty of new ideas to the series too - battle macros, bonus dungeons, and sidequests, off the top of my head.

>Also, really poor translation quality.
I'll give you that for 3, but you've clearly never played 4. Also, that's hardly unique to PS3, either.
>>
>>2861908
The game manual tells you over and over to take notes and draw maps. I think the developers expected you to make maps.
>>
>>2862056
I'd have to agree with this. PS3 just really felt different. There were a lot of small things that made it pretty quirky. The world music adding an instrument for every party member you had. The weird battle music that also changed depending on how you were doing, along with the even stranger animated enemy sprites. The androids that were pretty rare as party members at the time, with one that could transform into vehicles that were somehow big enough to fly around. I think it's one of those games that it's hard to praise as "good", but that had enough interesting elements to make you glad you played it.

As far as PS4's translation goes, I got a good laugh out of them quoting "I have the knack" in one of PSO's missions.
>>
File: scan52.jpg (60KB, 600x504px) Image search: [Google]
scan52.jpg
60KB, 600x504px
>>2862075
>the developers
The localisers at Sega of Your Country, maybe. If we're talking about the English language release of PS2 you are provided complete maps out of the box, right? (pic related) Making maps under such circumstances seems a bit redundant.
>>
>>2863902
Well, if you rented it you wouldn't have had a map either. But I know they weren't basing games rented at the time on that.
>>
>>2834546
>sounds like a fever dream
the music, story and lore of PS3 were GOD TIER
>>
>>2843053
I loved the contrast between the themes and plot turns of the game with the jolly sci-fi music. But the music from the dungeons is what tells you shit can get real.
>>
>>2843180
Is it safe to asume Rolf's party lost but somehow managed to cause the destruction of the earthlings? None of them are mentioned at all in PS4 as heroes, only Alis.
>>
>>2865802
Even if they survived and returned they definitely couldn't live their life normally because it was technically them who destroyed Mother Brain and sped up the process of Motavia's climate going back to desert. Even if the Motavia government clear them of all charges they still will be despised by the majority of surviving population. Maybe they moved to Dezolis or something.

It's also very fucked up if Lutz saved Rolf only to send him on suicide mission 10 years later.
>>
>>2865871
But still, we got zero references to them, except when Chaz sees them in his vision but that doesn't count.
>>
>>2854373
Sega's less ashamed of PSIII than Nintendo is of Fire Emblem 2, Other M and Virtual Wario Land. They, as a company, care more about making weird shit than good shit.
>>
>>2866298
I don't think Intelligent Systems are ashamed of FE2 in any way because they constantly reuse some of its ideas and shove the music everywhere including Codename STEAM.

Also how bad is Phantasy Star Gaiden? Because I've got the impression that Sega disliked to talk about it.
>>
>>2834524
I always recommend Segas Shining Force games.
>>
>>2834524
I cant speak for 1,2,3 as i tried playing those but boy the learning curve on those is skullgirls high

But i did play 4 and there is some learning but theres more story at the start i found and it keeps you going, and ya 4s is probably up there with some of the top early rpgs, dont know if its ff6 good but it would be in the same group, its on steam, been playing the port. its pretty good and cant really tell the differnce between it and the cart
>>
>>2851410
PS1 was at least $70, maybe $80 when it came out. It was 4MB which was absurdly huge at the time. PS2 was also $70-$80, depending on where you bought it. PS4 retail was $100, maybe $90 if a discount store carried it. I bought PS4 new, the sticker price was $89.99, I got it on a 33% off sale at Venture (store was going out of business) plus my brother worked there, so I got an additional 10% off, even with all the discounts it was $54 + tax. Totally worth it though.
>>
>>2866594
Pier Solar was clearly influenced by PS4 in that way. Too bad it's bloated and very much the retroactive Golden Sun of the Genesis.
>>
>>2866594
>4MB
512 Kilobyte, still big compared to other ROM cartridges of the time.
Phantasy Star 4 is 3 Megabyte, 2 and 3 are 768 Kilobyte.
>>
>>2843215
which translation patch?
>>
>>2858007
>Alisa
WHAT THE ACTUAL FUCK??? HER NAME IS ALIS!!!
>>
>>2866701
And her companions are Nyaa, Tyrone and Lutz
>>
>>2866713
And her final battle is featured in Eusis' dream
>>
>>2866736
and in Rudy's vision
>>
>>2866713
Dammit I knew I knew the name Tyrone from somewhere before it became a niggermeme
>>
>>2866701
Translation patch, brah. Improves audio, increases character limit in certain text strings, changes some item and character names around and fixes some dialogue.

You can grab a pre-patched rom at emuparadise.
>>
>>2867251
Is that the thing that changes character's names to their japanese names?
>>
>>2867485
I guess so, you get Alisa, Myau, Tylon and Lutz.

It's worth it alone for the sweet FM audio.
>>
>>2866404
>Also how bad is Phantasy Star Gaiden?
Quite bad. I played through early this year and I can't recommend it to anybody who doesn't have a 'gotta play 'em all' obsession. People complain about the frequency random encounters in PS2 and PS3. These people are babies and they are without testicles. After having said that you should take me seriously when I say PS Gaiden has too many random encounters.
>>
>>2866667
http://www.smspower.org/Translations/PhantasyStar-SMS-EN
>>
>>2866667
>which translation patch?
see >>2834807
>>
>>2834807
What's the point of playing these fan translations over the official English releases?

Are the official translations really bad or something? It seems even the reviews on those romhack pages are even confused why it was retranslated
>>
>>2869898
The PS1 translation is pretty bad, and has awful music.

Never touched the other ones.
>>
Do these games have automaps (like brandish and eotb) or do I have to draw my own (like dungeon master)?
I like dungeon crawlers like these but I tend to
enjoy the ones with automaps significantly more
>>
>>2869979
Nooooope. Gotta grid that shit yourself. Or look up the umpteen versions someone else did
>>
>>2869979
Generation 1 has an expendable item to create an automap.
>>
>>2869898
>Don't even play the original translation anymore
>Reviewed By: Animation Guru on 05 Mar 2012
>
>This is so much better than the original translation. Just put that old Master System cart away and find some way to patch this one into a cart instead.
>
>Other reviewers have commented on the FM sound. I’m not going to waste much time on it. Yes, it does sound much better than the Phantasy Star you’re used to, providing you have have FM synth capability.
>
>The translation is the main focus of this review, and boy oh boy, is it a goodie. To quote Shane Bettenhausen, the original translation of Phantasy Star was “beyond garbage”. This one freshens up the game a bit in ways that will (for the most part) line it up more accurately with your other Phantasy Star games.
>>
>>2870163
>There are a number of more prudent localization choices that I appreciate here. The mad scientist from whom you acquire the Laconian Pot for the second time is no longer called “Dr. Mad”. Your first encounter with Dark Force is called “Nightmare” as opposed to “Succubus”, thus removing the awkward sexual connotation from the encounter. Burgers and sodas are gone. Noah is now called Lutz. Dark Force is no longer called Dark Falz. And best of all, all of the character interactions have been freshened up and read much more conversationally.
>
>There are a few forgivable hiccups in the translation. Odin has been renamed Tylon. Apparently, it’s supposed to be Tyrone, but invoking the Tina-is-Terra rule from Final Fantasy VI, I actually accept the name Tylon, because it sounds much more alien. And it’s CERTAINLY better than calling him Odin.
>
>There’s even one amusing case of Engrish in the game, in which Alis’ spell “Translate” has been misspelled as “Transrate”. However, again I had to forgive it, because it preserves the charm of early 90s translation authenticity.
>
>The best-looking 8-bit RPG is now even better than before. If you’ve never played the original or want to play it again, you MUST play this version.
>
>So worth it!

didn't really look at those reviews long, huh?
>>
PS2 has one of my favorite soundtracks ever. I'd rank it up with Chrono Trigger on top of the comfy scale.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqPuN9n-lw0
>>
>>2870291
>that fucked up western version
>>
>>2870325
Post the superior version. I'm American, I've only heard the one version.
>>
>>2870327
it can be found at project2612

they fucked with some instruments for some unknown version, that or it's an unintentional bug
>>
>>2870291
I fucking love the soundtrack. I love how it contrasts the jolly upbeat tech sounds with the depressing reality of the story (I think I said this before lol). Mistery and Death Place are masterpieces imo
>>
I got the ending of phantasy star 3 spoiled for me the fact that you were in a spaceship the whole time
should I even bother playing it at all now?
>>
>>2870464
yes. If you love the series you will like it anyway. And knowing that you are in a old stranded spaceship the whole time makes it better, gives it that melancholic feel that the music evokes.
>>
>>2870464
I was thinking you found that out during the first generation, especially since one of the girls you pick starts the next character on a satellite. The stuff that is supposed to be the mystery is what the Orakians and Layans are up to.

More surprising than it being a colony ship was that the ship has weapons, and that there is more than one of them.
>>
I WONDER WHAT THE PEOPLE WILL SEE IN THE FINAL DAYS?
>>
>>2870585
http://youtu.be/4KD6Y1tnSY4

;_;
>>
File: image.jpg (67KB, 461x346px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
67KB, 461x346px
Say what you want about PSIII, but Toyo Ozaki's character designes are gorgeous.
>>
>>2870329
Why the fuck does the japanese songs have those annoying drums throug them??
>>
>>2871574
They're not as annoying as the fucked up lead instruments in the Western version.

It's like they fucked up the cutoff.
>>
>>2871579
I listened to it and it was the same thing, the only difference were the drums in the japanesse. And I listened to the other songs and they all have some weird sounds in the middle, unlike the other clean versions I've been listening to. Even youtube has it better.
>>
>>2871582
Just compare both VGM packs, specifically Rise or Fall.

English version clearly has it worse. They fucked up the lead instruments and mistakes like this show up throughout the English version.
>>
>>2870291
Yes. Truly one of my favorite OST's overall. I actually rank it higher than Chrono Trigger despite being a huge Mitsuda fanboy.
>>
>>2870291
Death Place is one of the best boss themes ever.

It's an appropriate mix of sadness and action.
>>
>>2871608
This is why I love it. It's the song that plays in the battle against Mother Brain, when you know you have to destroy it even if that means dooming humanity to a long dark age of centuries. And at the same time MB is kicking your ass and your friends are dying left and right to the tune of this music.
>>
>>2834807
Those links keep localized character names, correct?
>>
>>2854436
>>2854373
PS3 is only bad because they had a lot of inexperienced designers on the team and rushed them to finish it. It's one of those games that was bad because it wasn't properly finished, not because of design choices.
>>
>>2870647
The people will see feels.
>>
>>2872927
I wish they remade it properly or at least fixed it. How much time and money could that task take?
>>
>>2873232
I don't think there is any interest. Sega outright said they didn't plan to remake it when they were working on PS Generation 1.
Also, I don't think there is any interest among japanese enthusiasts.
>>
>>2834807
what are the differences between all of those?
>>
>>2870291
You wanna talk comfy? Try this fucking shit out.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNp0kihEsb8
>>
>>2872758
The MS/MD originals? Unless they're different patches than what I played, and I don't think they are, no. Why would they? No point retranslating something if you're just gonna get it wrong again.
>>
>>2873340
The first two links are for the original two games and the latter two are for the PS2 reimaginings.
>>
>>2874606
>>2834807
for some reason my computer doesn't let me open that website. Could you provide another link for the PS1 ones?
>>
>Look up PSIII music because it's the odd one I haven't played.

Oh wow. Now I'm disappointed that I blew my load listening to all of the tracks. I bet this would have been really great if it was a situation where you were a kid and it was one of the 10 games you owned.
It still has an air of mystery to it to me. The title and what little I played makes it seem like a really depressing game... in a good way. Like here you are with a knife and the whole planet is dying and it's probably because of a giant computer the size of a planet trying to kill all of you.
>>
>>2834524
I wanted to play this game but my emulator didn't open it so I moved on, I was using gens. Which emulator do you recommend me?
>>
>>2874914
>a giant computer the size of a planet trying to kill all of you.
are you talking about PS3? I don't remember that from the game, sounds more like Mother Brain
>>
>>2874914
I played it when I was like 15 years old after playing PSIV and I absolutely loved it. The mix of lore, story and music made me question if I liked it better than PSIV despite all of it's flaws. And as you say, it's incredibly sad, depressing and interesting at the same time, and all of that thanks to the music. If you feel really invested in the PS universe you should definitely play it. People give it shit for being a "side story" but I think that is what made it so unique.
>>
>>2875069

Kega Fusion is pretty damn good, and that's the one I preferably use.
>>
>>2875069
Gens is SHIT. Use Genesis Plus GX or Kega Fusion.
>>
So... What is Phantasy Star Online? It always confused me since these games have all sorts of technology in them that I thought the name could just be a fancy word they use to be like, "It's Phantasy Star in the future!" But there's been so many of these that I have a hard time believing that they're MMOs.

Can someone give me a quick rundown?
>>
>>2875620
>I have a hard time believing that they're MMOs.
It's called Online for a reason.
Are you underaged or what
>>
>>2875681
I just didn't understand how you take PS and make it online.
So what's the deal? Are you hunter's guild members or something?
>>
>>2851410
I remember buying it for over $100 when it came out. Thats like $156 today =|

I loved the hell out of it though, my favorite right after PS1.
>>
>>2874852
That's weird. Maybe you're using some sort of shit proxy or internet filter software that blacklists anything with the word 'hacking' in it. How about this link?
>>2867771
That's the proper website for the patch.
>>
>>2875069
I don't think Gens does Master System games, so that was a pretty daft thing to do.

Kega Fusion is the most commonly used one but if you're an accuracyfag (and why wouldn't you be?) try TwoMbit. It doesn't do Mega Drive but it's an accurate emulator for Sega 8-bit machines.
>>
>>2875687
>I just didn't understand how you take PS and make it online.
It's not really Phantasy Star but online at all. It's a new game with the PS brand slapped on.
The Hunter's Guild does appear (in name only) in the first PSO as do a few classic monsters but that's just fluff and they disappears in later games.
>>
>>2875620
It's an action-RPG dungeon crawler. Closest comparison is probably Blizzard's Diablo franchise. It's not really a traditional MMO in that there's no shared, persistent world. You meet other players in he lobby to make a team of up to 4 and go in a generated dungeon together.

The storyline doesn't connect to previous games at all (until Phantasy Star Zero, years later tried to link them), but the story and dungeon crawling focus are thematically similar to the classic tetralogy.

Honestly I think Online 1 gets too much of a bad-rap from classic fans. I understand if you want to hate on Universe and Online 2 which went into full blown action games, but at the time of release PSO felt like a natural extension of PS1-4's dungeon crawling. It's one of my favorite games.
>>
>>2875751
I wasn't able to open those translated ROMs in the kega fusion :(
>>
>>2876701
>Phantasy Star Zero, years later tried to link them
WHAT? HOW?
>>
>>2876746
It's only briefly mentioned in the post game but the "Earth" of PSZ is Planet Coral from PSO's backstory, and it's also the Earth which built Mother Brain.

Though it has been a while and it's hard to tell if the mother brain thing is supposed to literally be the same thing or just a re-use of the plot.
>>
>>2876752
I thought Mother Brain was built by the earthlings but after they escaped. And I thought that Earth from PSII was our Earth. Is Planet Coral supposed to be our Earth too?
>>
>>2876741
I use the genesus plus gx core in retroarch and it works for me
>>
>>2876820
does it also work with PS1?
>>
>>2876827
all 4 games work for me in it
>>
>>2876752

SHIIIIIIEEEEEEEET.

now I have to dig out PS0 and actually finish it this time.
>>
>>2876741
What can I say, bro? You're doing something wrong, because there's no reason it wouldn't work. Are you opening the patched rom or trying to run the patch itself? Because the patch is not a rom.

>>2876746
I don't know where he got that from, there is nothing to suggest a link to classic PS at all. There is no mention of Mother Brain anywhere in the game, Mother Trinity serves a similar role but it's clearly not the same thing, it's just reuse of a plot point.

PS0 is only barely connected to PSO itself by discovering that the true name of the planet is Coral (the planet that the Pioneer ships came from) But it's set so far in either the future or past that the connection might as well not exist.
>>
>>2877551
how do you run the patch on the game in Kega?
>>
>>2834807
why are the melodies so different in the japanese version? The sound is more clear and less annoying but the notes are totally different. And PSII has drums non stop in every song, how can people stand them?
>>
>>2878421
You don't patch from the emulator, you need an IPS patcher. If you can't into command-line stuff then just try this prepatched rom.
http://pscave.com/dow/rom/ps1english.zip

Took several precious seconds of my life to look for this for you, just saiyan.
>>
>>2879561
isn't that the original english translated ROM?
>>
>>2880505
It shouldn't be. Why don't you just open it up and check? It's only 512 kilobytes and it will be blatently obvious if it's the right one or not if you enable FM sound.
>>
Are the dungeons different in the Japanese version of Phantasy Star 1 than they are in the official English version?
I started playing the fan translation after seeing it recommended in this thread, but none of the maps I look up online seem to correspond with what I'm seeing in game.
I tried making my own maps with mspaint, but I can't fucking do it man. I need grid paper for this shit, but I don't have any
>>
File: Camineet-AbionWarehouses.gif (7KB, 498x257px) Image search: [Google]
Camineet-AbionWarehouses.gif
7KB, 498x257px
>>2881780
Pretty sure the dungeons are identical in both versions. Some dungeons share physical mapspace with other dungeons though, so you may be seeing parts of other dungeons on the maps that arr inaccessable from the dungeon you're actually in, if that makes sense.

Example: part of this dungeon map is the place in Camineet where you found 50 meseta at the start of the game and part of it is another dungeon in another town.
>>
>>2881859
turns out I was just getting confused because turning left while facing south makes you head right on the map
>>
>>2881859
>>2881865
Not being able to check your location on an in game map is what killed that game for me

>start out on graph paper
>start one square too far to left to finish map
>taping pieces of paper together
>somehow still get turned around and lost
>have to savescum just to make it out alive

No thanks. I dont feel like Im missing that anything 2-4 gave me
>>
>>2882028
I'll never understand mapbros. Having to make educated guesses about your current postion in relation to the exit or goal adds thrill to a mechanically mundane game.

Using or making maps would ruin the game for me.
>>
>>2881871
Not /vr/
>>
>>2882028
I just put the entry point at the center of a page of grid paper. I found that they all seem to be about 14x14, and accounting for a blank space around the map that makes 16x16, so each floor is 256 squares. If you start in the center of the page you wont run out of squares.
>>
I just beat P.S. 1, took me over 20 goddamn hours
and that was with using maps
Are the sequels' dungeons easier to navigate? I wanna beat the next games on my own but if they're all like this then I don't think I can
>>
>>2881571
how do you enable FM sound in the Kega Fusion?
>>
>>2884401
The sequels are worth your time trust me (even PSIII, depending of how much you like the series overall). The dungeons in the rest of the game are in third person and the ones from PSII are posibly the hardest mazes in any RPG. But in PSIII and IV they are okay. PSIII is kinda slow and has a lot of empty rooms, while everything in PSIV is 10/10.
>>
>>2879561
Is that a literal translation from the japannese version or is it one of those where the fans add studff of their own? Also I can't get past of different the music is from the american version
>>
>>2884572
you delete it and get genesis plus gx instead
>>
>>2884572
IIRC, you don't have to - if it's a japanese master system rom with the FM data on it, and you set the country to japan, you should be able to just play it without changing anything.

I didn't really like the FM arrangements for PS1 (they were nice to listen to a few times, but I'm too used to the US music to play through the game with it).
>>
>>2841178
I work at a arcade, and you're particular brand of pessimism is the bane of my existence.
Some kid will play nothing but skee ball but is specifically playing for tickets and when I point out a dozen machines that give huge ticket payouts they ignore my advice and get upset when they only have thirty because skeeball only gives out 6 per game.

And when it's not that it's a kid that has like a million tickets and their cynical parent pulls them away from the prize counter because "you can't get anything" when our most expensive prize is 5000 tickets (easy enough to get if you play the right games).

Maybe I should just blame chucke cheese for poisoning the well.
>>
>>2884679
if it's the same fan translation I played, you can switch it back to the american music by pressing start on the title screen
>>
>>2885272
I decided to go along with the american music since I'm used to the songs and they have this retro 8 bit feeling to them. But how is it possible that the japannese version is so different to the american? why the changes?
>>
>>2851565
It's Rhys. I always thought.
>>
>>2874241
Its rather comfy. Makes those cold dezolis winters a little warmer
>>
>>2885464
technical limitations of the time
>>
>>2834524

I'd wreck that 8-bit pussy, dude

Who's with me?
>>
>>2885583
i'd beat
>>
>>2867251

http://www.emuparadise.me/Sega_Master_System_ROMs/Phantasy_Star_%28Japan%29_%5BEn_by_SMS_Power_v1.02%5D/89145

Is this the droid I'm looking for?
>>
Question: what's the point of those treasure chests you find when you defeat a monster that explode or shoot an arrow before giving you the mesetas? were they supposed to deal damage or what?
>>
>>2885637
They do deal damage. Check your status after one explodes, you have less health.
>>
>>2885630
yea that's the latest fan patch according to http://www.romhacking.net/translations/1069/

Also bypass makes you exit from dungeons. I dunno why the fan translators changed the spell name from "exit" like it was in the official version to "bypass", shit makes no sense.
>>
Fuck Dezorian liars
>tell me I need a crystal to make laerma berries grow, spend hours wandering around the other planets looking for it before I realize I actually needed the torch
>Tells me to go the wrong way in a dungeon and I fall down a hole and get stuck, end up having to reset cause I can't find my way out
I should have listened to my Motavian bros who told me not to trust Dezorians
I killed every Dezorian I had the chance too. But I spared all my Motavian bros.
FUCK Dezorians
>>
Another question: Can I equip Alis and Odin with shields if they are holding swords, guns or axes? or is it like in PSIV where they actually count the items your hands are holding? you know what I mean
>>
>>2885738
also "troop" warps you to the last church you visited. Fly made more sense, I don't understand why they changed it

really, the spell names in the fan translation are just retarded. but the character names in the official version were changed, so references in later games don't make sense.
it's a lose-lose situation no matter which version you play
>>
>>2885754
Eeach character can equip 3 items: weapon, armor, and shield
Some items don't work on some characters though. Myau for example only has 2 weapons, 1 armor and 1 "shield" in the entire game that he can equip, and only 1 shield works for Lutz/Noah and he only has 2 different weapons as well
>>
>>2885765
yes but my question is if Alis or Odin can equip a shield if they already are holding a sword/axe with both hands
>>
File: odin[1].gif (4KB, 184x121px) Image search: [Google]
odin[1].gif
4KB, 184x121px
>>2885758
>Character is the embodiment of aryan master race
>Retarded japs give him a nigger name
>murricans somehow make the great desicion pf changing Tyrone to Odin, which fits better
>weebs defend "muh original version" and call him Tyrone again in their fanslation AKA fanfiction
>>
>>2885771
yes they can
>>
How the fuck is anyone supposed to beat the first game without maps? Seriously.
It took me a week to beat it and I was using fan-made maps the whole time.
I don't think I ever would have beaten it at all if I had to make my own maps. And I've beaten first person dungeon crawlers like Dungeon Master without maps before. PS is on a whole nother level.
Maybe if the encounter rate was lower I could manage it, but damn the game really could have used a minimap
>>
>>2885785
have you played PSII? It's on a whole new level of difficulty
>>
File: RetroArch-1230-180526.png (41KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
RetroArch-1230-180526.png
41KB, 1024x768px
help /vr/, what do I name him
what's his official name
>>
File: no really.jpg (17KB, 510x382px) Image search: [Google]
no really.jpg
17KB, 510x382px
>>2885808
>>
>>2885809
lel
thanks bro
>>
>>2885808
EUSIS in the jap version. ROLF in the english version
>>
>>2885765
I don't think Myau can equi shields
>>
>>2884572
Just look in the sound settings or one of the menus. It's there, I'm sure of it. You ask a lot of questions about easily solvable things.
>>
>>2885751
To be fair bro, you are warned about the Deozlians by another NPC. Don't trust their lies. Except for that bunch on one side of that one village, they're okay.

>>2885758
>spell names
They'd be just transliterating the Japanese spell names. You don't think they just make this stuff up, do you?
>>
>>2885870
That's why I put shield in quotes. His "shield" is a glove
>>
>mfw you can actually kill motavians and dezolians

those were darker times for racial issues
>>
Did earthlings erradicate Palma's native inhabitats when they landed there?
>>
>>2885926
Huh? The humans you see are the native inhabitants of Palma. The Earthmen from PS2 are new arrivals who have only been in the system for a few decades or so.
>>
>>2885935
I didn't understand their agenda tho. They said they escaped earth because it was dying and built Mother Brain. But then Mother Brain was making everything easier so they sabotaged, ruining their new home platet so what the fuck were their motives?
>>
>churches resurrect party members

Jesus christ.
>>
>>2885969
it's a holdover from the dragon quest days
>>
>>2885969
I always liked the mix between fantasy ans science fiction of the series. Resurrection is supposed to work by some king of powerful holy magic, but in PSII you get cloned. I guess they found how to combine magic with technology in order to bring your spirit to a new body or something. Oh and in PSIII we get back at being resurrected in churches, since the population of the ships is descendant from parmanians and they either kept their ancient magic practices or lost their cloning mechanism when they reverted to a dark age.
>>
>>2885969

Don't worry Anon, at least I got it.
>>
>>2885865
that reminds me too much of isis so I'm sticking with rolf
>>
>>2885980
The creepy part is that everyone in PS2 was canonically cloned at least one.
>>
>>2886374
What was the excuse for not being able to revive Nei again?
>>
File: nerowhat.gif (6KB, 320x200px) Image search: [Google]
nerowhat.gif
6KB, 320x200px
>>2885969
>a minute into the first playthrough
>is there anyone you'd like to resurrect?
>nope
>>
My exposure to the series came from the Sega Mega Drive collection on PSP, which had 2,3 and 4 on it. My favourite was 4, then 2, then 3. Never really though about playing 1 until looking at this thread, but it seems very highly recommended so ill get the rom downloaded and give it a whirl
>>
>>2886679
I guess they must have a method to completely terminate someone's life different than just dying from your wounds after a monster attacked you.
>>
>>2886679

Alis secretly hated Nero and wanted him dead. She simply used his death as a weak excuse to fight the man.
>>
>>2886439
Her life force or whatever was tied to Neifirst's, so when you kill Neifirst, it's impossible to bring Nei back, or some shit like that.
>>
>>2886679
They have an explanation for it later. You eventually learn that evil Lord Lashiec is able to steal men's souls.
So I guess that's what he had done to Nero.
>>
>>2887123

I guess you could say it was a burning hatred.
>>
>>2887498

Perhaps the same could be said of all religions?
>>
File: 1425titlescreen.png (2KB, 256x240px) Image search: [Google]
1425titlescreen.png
2KB, 256x240px
Should I play the Phantasy Star II adventure games before or after I finish the main series?
I was thinking of playing them after I finish PSII
>>
First PS game is surprisingly fun. The graphics are very refreshing, makes grinding much less exhausting
>>
>>2885961
Dunno, really. No version of the original has a decent enough translation to really explain that. I guess they were softening the Palmans and Motavians (who gives a fuck about Dezo scum, amirite) up by making their lives so easy that they don't know how to resist them.

So I guess they were going to sit up at the top of society while the locals served below them? (or were killed off, but that would be villainy for the sake of villainy) I don't think many of them ever got off the ark, their colonisation plan was still a ways off. Fuck I'm doing a lot of guessing here.
>>
>>2887307
I thought it was just that she couldn't be cloned due to not being a normal human.

I know she can be cloned during gameplay but after Neifirst would be the only canonical time they ever tried to clone her.
>>
>>2885961
Dark force did it.
That's pretty much what all the PS games come down to
>>
>>2887627
>I was thinking of playing them after I finish PSII
That would be wise.
>>
>>2887914
>at the end of phantasy star 3, they seal dark force
>in one of the endings Alisa 3 warps to the solar system and makes contact with friendly earthlings
>eventually dark force influences them and this leads to phantasy star 2
>part of the series is a time loop
that's my theory anyways
>>
>>2887956
PS3 and 4 are supposed to take place around the same time.
>>
>>2887914
But Dark Force was already beaten when they confronted the earthlings and they kept being evil despite of it.
>>
>>2888028
Dark Force is something of a behind the scenes puppet master. They weren't possessed, just influenced. The Earthmen would have thought all those plans were entirely their own ideas and have no reason to suddenly switch gears to non-evil.
>>
>>2887907
I didn't really grind much in the first game. And I used maps too, so I wasn't getting overleveled from wandering around either. I think people really over exaggerate its difficulty

Though now I'm playing Phantasy Star II, and I had to grind for hours to beat the first boss. That combined with the fact that you can't save everywhere makes it a lot less forgiving game

Now I'm seeing people are starting to post too many spoilers without spoiler tags. This thread was fun while it lasted. I'll see you all in about a fucking month when I finish the rest of the games
>>
>>2888456
we will keep a phantasy star general ready for you to visit when you finish
>>
>>2885806
PS2 came with a guidebook and maps. The game was intended to be played with maps, you still had to note how to get to chests and the objective.
>>
>>2885785
You draw your own on graph paper.

The game is going on 30 years old, automapping was not a thing back then.
>>
>>2888456
> Can't save everywhere

Once you get shir, get to level 10 and steal from the command tower.
>>
>>2888494
Brandish came out only 2 years later and it had automapping
>>
Now I feel kind of bad, I got past getting Noah/Lutz in the original PS1, but got lost somewhere with a hovercraft. The Generations remake rekindled my love for the series though, and I managed to get through nicely.

For both though, leveling to 8 to survive anything past the first town at the beginning seemed so silly, I loved it.
>>
>>2889327
Bards Tale 2 came out in 1986 and had an automap.
Ultima 3 from 1983 already had a feature that let you see the map.
>>
>>2874603
Well don't later games in the series use their localized names?
>>
>>2885785
I managed to beat it without using or making maps way back when. It was enjoyable but the main thing that really irked me about the game was the lack of money, and the sheer amount of money needed for certain things.
>>
File: Alisa Landale.png (357KB, 640x901px) Image search: [Google]
Alisa Landale.png
357KB, 640x901px
How do I get under the ant lion on the cactus island?
>>
>>2890306
you're not supposed to

just use search on all the cactuses and you'll find the shield
>>
>>2890546
Oh thanks
Old man in the poison village mislead me
>>
>>2891115
I played the fan retranslation and he blatantly said it was buried under a cactus

dunno what he says in the original
>>
>>2890119
I can deal with PS4 forgetting the second A in Alisa in the one single optional text she is mentioned in. There's absolutly no confusing moments. Can't imagine why you'd care about such insignificance anyway. If anything the new translations are now consistant with more of the Phantasy Star refrences in PSU.
>>
>>2892151
That hardly answers the question, and not just the main character names. side characters, extras, locations, etc
>>
>>2892226
>main character names
Shit that's never mentioned in the sequels, except those four times when it is. And guess what, Captain Tyler, Lutz and Nyau have the same names in PS4 as they do in these translations.
>side characters,
Unnamed NPCs remain unnamed and unmentioned. Not relevant.
>extras
Like what? The Pelorymate? Shows in in PS4 but the official PS1 translation called it a cola. Retranslation wins again.
>locations
I don't think any of the reoccuring locations got hit hard with the localisation hammer. I expect they're all pretty much the same.

These retranslations make the PS4 script make more sense, if anything. Does this ease your odd fears?
>>
>>2892256
Not really, you're coming off as an unreliable cunt. I don't have any agenda or bias, I just wanted some information. I've been playing through the fan translation though, the FM sound is nice
>>
>>2887907
they could have worked more on the graphics. I remember a port town where the pier is made of giant grey pixels with no detail
>>
>>2892256
desu locations names changed in every game. Palma-Parma, Dezoris-Dezo-Dezolis, Mota-Motavia
>>
>>2843795
>TFW you actually recognize a dungeon map
This is an odd kind of feel.
>>
File: Alisa vs Shark King.jpg (77KB, 480x687px) Image search: [Google]
Alisa vs Shark King.jpg
77KB, 480x687px
Let's talk Phantasy Star 1's ending.
Did you have Alis take her rightful place as queen, or continue living as a private citizen?
>>
>>2892910
L vs R is a common issue in early vg translations because in Japanese there is no way to distinguish them.

The short versions are obviously abbreviations.
>>
IV > I > II = III
>>
>>2896757
Hmmm, nah...

II > III > IV > I

I'm certain I'll catch a bit of flak for this ranking, but that's the order I played the series in as a kid. While IV is easily the best production, the earlier genny games have an entirely different feel that IV doesn't really recapture. Though it makes up for some of that with references to the earlier titles and additions like missions and combo attacks. Lots of fun and very pretty, but never captures the loneliness of II and III.

I think the main difference is that in II and III, you never really know what you're ultimately after until the end. There is no Lashiec or Zio or even a hint of Falz until the very end; no one to play the role of the bad guy, really.

Having played FF [1], 4, and 6 before playing PS II and then III was trippy. Where was the evil bad guy? Where are all the bosses? In the end, it's that unconventional approach that I think makes these games so endearing.
>>
File: sad alisa.jpg (57KB, 434x309px) Image search: [Google]
sad alisa.jpg
57KB, 434x309px
>>2896832
fuk u
>>
File: Raja.png (3KB, 222x222px) Image search: [Google]
Raja.png
3KB, 222x222px
>>2896832
>II > III > IV > I
>>
Let's keep this thread alive for OP.
>>
What is the post limit for this board?
>>
>>2900710
There is no post limit.
>>
File: Ps1_instr06.png (1MB, 838x1273px) Image search: [Google]
Ps1_instr06.png
1MB, 838x1273px
So why isn't Alis in a Sega All-Star Racing game? Cruising as her in the Land Rover would be sweet.
>>
File: meltingskull.gif (34KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
meltingskull.gif
34KB, 200x200px
>>2901460
Sega decided it was best to abandon all of their actual good IPs so that they could spend another 20 years trying to shove the autistic wannabe mario knock off down people's throats.
>>
File: Alex Kidds.png (246KB, 600x420px) Image search: [Google]
Alex Kidds.png
246KB, 600x420px
>>2901476
You mean this guy?
>>
>>2901476
Sonic isn't even the problem, I can handle 7 Sonic characters. What I'm really upset about is Danica Patrick, TF2 guys, Yogcast, and Wreck-it Ralph.
>>
>>2901460
I wonder how she'd even look like in 3D.

I don't think there was ever a 3D representation of any of the Phantasy Star characters.
>>
>>2901491

Kid Chamelon is more a Mario game than both Sonic and Alex Kidd tho
>>
>>2901824
According to how Alex Kidd looks in 3D, probably a bit like this.
>>
File: image.jpg (303KB, 835x1181px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
303KB, 835x1181px
>>2894643
Sweet illustration - any idea where it's from? Thought it might be from here; last time I saw it on eBay it was going for over £100. Was still tempted...
>>
File: cute lutz.jpg (87KB, 480x687px) Image search: [Google]
cute lutz.jpg
87KB, 480x687px
>>2902129
Yes it is, I found the scans over here
http://phantasystar.wikia.com/wiki/Gamebook
>>
i love how long phantasy star threads last on /vr/
>>
>>2888497
Is this anywhere anywhere, or just outside towns and dungeons? Can you save right before the final boss?
>>
File: dana scully.jpg (46KB, 500x376px) Image search: [Google]
dana scully.jpg
46KB, 500x376px
>>2902129
>blonde alis
>no pants
>pink girl myau
>>
>>2902272
Nevermind, googled it.

That's good, because I read about the visiphone and used save states on the final boss instead of grinding that useless character. Glad to know I didn't cheat that much.
>>
File: shir.png (26KB, 148x148px) Image search: [Google]
shir.png
26KB, 148x148px
>>2894643
Queen, obviously. All of that fighting to go back home and be a nobody? Fuck that shit.

>>2902281
>useless character

Shir's not bad (well, except for the laconia butterknife), she's just got tough competition. That and the fact that you get her dead last doesn't provide you with much incentive to bring her up to the average party level to make her useful.

Plus, she goes for little walks between planets - how can you not love her?
>>
>>2902530
>she goes for little walks between planets
hahaha this, this cracked me up every time. Reminded me of how Alis could teleport you to a church in another planet too.
>>
File: anniversary.jpg (331KB, 1169x827px) Image search: [Google]
anniversary.jpg
331KB, 1169x827px
>>2901460

It's not that they completely forgot about her but SEGA seem to have a great aversion for acknowleding characters from classic games in post-PSO world. They still borrow names, plot point etc from older games. Same for old Shining games but there are all kind of nasty rumors about that one.
>>
>>2901491
>30th Anniversary
>loosely based on Sun Wukong and 2016 is the year of Monkey
>still isn't acknowledged
>>
File: nei figma.jpg (25KB, 256x434px) Image search: [Google]
nei figma.jpg
25KB, 256x434px
>>2902961
>>2902965
What a waste
>>
File: Sonic Kidd.png (399KB, 607x686px) Image search: [Google]
Sonic Kidd.png
399KB, 607x686px
>>2902965
We're 8 days into the year, I wouldn't count out that possibility yet.
>>
>>2902961
what nasty rumors?
>>
>>2903041
Tsuyoshi Sawada, the guy behind the majority of new Shining games seems to have very little respect towards classic games but at the same time he's very defensive about his own games. That's it.
>>
>>2903123
If the guy things demons and devils are uncool but 'won't you eat our fluffy bread?" is cool then I hope he chokes on fluffy bread...but survives. I'm not that mean.
>>
Coming off of Phantasy Star, Phantasy Star II seems like it's a bit worse. Can't save everywhere, no fitting context sensitive battle backgrounds, overworld isn't as fun to explore, attack automatically sometimes in battle without a chance to strategise, art is somehow slightly worse. Hopefully it gets better soon or I might drop it and skip to III
>>
>>2905519
Forgot to mention that enemies never, ever miss. What the fuck is up with that?
>>
>>2905519
It gets better
>>
>>2905519
Phantasy Star I to III were only good relative to what was available at the time. We didn't have much on the SMS and early Genesis. They're genuinely bad games overall if looked at critically compared to the JRPGs of 4th gen, and quite a few of those from the late 3rd gen too. Skip to IV unless you can *actually* benefit from the nostalgia of seeing I, II and III after you played it so many years before.
>>
>>2905565
Nah, I just beat Phantasy Star and it was great, it holds up fine.
Don't assume I've played them before.
>>
I just finished PS3.
I don't think this series is for me, man. I've played three so far, and I only really liked the first one. After thinking PS2 wasn't really as good as PS1, and now thinking PS3 was even worse, give me one good reason why I should play PS4. If I play it I'm just going to be disappointed again.

You guys said the first one was shit, but it's the only one I liked so far. And you said the second one was good. I don't trust you guys anymore
>>
>>2905565
I played 1 and 2 for the first time last year and loved them. About to move onto 3.
>>
>>2905884
4 is the best. Might as well finish what you started anonkun.
>>
>>2905519
>attack automatically sometimes in battle without a chance to strategise
Yeah, the battle system is wonky. You have to press a button after the round starts to interrupt the auto-battle and input commands again for the next round.

I agree, overall PS2 is nowhere near as good as 1 in graphics, sound, exploration or gameplay but it's still not bad.
>>
>>2905884
4 is so drastically different from the last two that 'I didn't like the last two' is not a decent argument for ignoring it. You will like it.

And for the record, 1 and 4 are the only two I'd ever recommend to anybody who's not already a big phan of PS. So I, personally, have yet to steer you wrong.
>>
>>2906507
Thanks, I'll remember that.
I'm going to keep going tomorrow, my ime hasn't been bad per se, just not as good. I'm only level 7 anyway
>>
The one thing that PS4 has going for it, is you can leave the game for a long time, and come back, have the party members "talk" to each other, and remember what the fuck it was you were doing in the first place, no matter how long since you last played
>>
>>2905519
I don't remember which book/interview it was but I think they officially said that PSII was rushed.
>>
>>2906880
I thought that was just PSIII
>>
>>2905519
>Can't save everywhere
Look up the Visiphone. I'll admit it's hidden as fuck but it lets you save anywhere.
>>
>>2907259
Nope, there was something about PS2 being made in 6 months.
>>
>>2909313
Honestly that's a long development time for an 80's game. They must have really been dragging their feet, 'cause even so it does feel rushed. And let's not even start on PS3.
>>
File: image.jpg (99KB, 550x686px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
99KB, 550x686px
On a bit of a tangent, anyone know if this is worth picking up? I've seen it for around £50 before, though the only copy on eBay at the moment is over £100.
>>
Play FS4. Skip 1-3. Period.
>>
>>2911135
>skip 1
lol, no
>>
>>2911135
Probably the shittest taste I've ever seen tbqh.
>>
File: polebot.gif (7KB, 270x360px) Image search: [Google]
polebot.gif
7KB, 270x360px
Send help.
>>
File: Nei.png (62KB, 405x581px) Image search: [Google]
Nei.png
62KB, 405x581px
>>
>>2911775
There was some enemy in PS3 that was like some sort of woman (maybe a robot I can't remember) that would be in a karate-kick stance and it would kick you as part of the attack animation. I told my parents it looked like she was farting when she flurried her leg around. I was a weird kid.
>>
File: 201205060111365a3.jpg (182KB, 840x560px) Image search: [Google]
201205060111365a3.jpg
182KB, 840x560px
>>Ctrl+F "Demi"
>>Ctrl+F "Rika"
>>Nothing

I am disappointed.
>>
>>2911775
Oh my fuck, the street sign enemies cracked me up. Seriously the most stupid enemies I've ever seen in a game, aside from those camel-looking things in Parasite Eve 2.
>>
File: 21397928.jpg (396KB, 950x1000px) Image search: [Google]
21397928.jpg
396KB, 950x1000px
>>2905519

I like PS1 more because it front-loads a majority of the grinding at the start instead of forcing you to grind for money every time you reach a new town town, like PS2 does.
>>
>>2834546
My favorite part of PS1 is how you don't even have to play the game, just tell it to fight or run and it does the rest.
>>
>>2913587
Is her hand broken?
>>
>>2913587
The PS1 remake ruined Alis' design.
>>
>>2834524
What the fuck am I playing

>go east and find Tyrone
>nope JK go south
>nope no go north and find his dog
>scorpions of FUCK YOU 2 steps outside of town
>you need this item
>no you need that item
>you are dead

Just fuck my shit up senpai
>>
>>2914064

Grind for money and buy good armor and weapons.
>>
>>2914064
Grind until you're level 8
>>
>>2913676
I don't understand. You seem to have just described a different game. When you fight you have to command 4 characters, when you run the monsters usually go 'nope!' and get a free attack round. Can you explain what you mean?
>>
PS.III put a bad taste in my mouth, so I put off starting PS.IV for a week. (I'm still glad I played it though cause there's a character from III in IV)

I got a question though, how the fuck to combo spells work? I discovered them by accident, but I haven't been able to get any to work since
>>
>>2915678
he probably meant phantasy star 2
>>
>>2916441
Wren in IV is not Wren from PSIII. Though you still have a nice reference to PSIII backstory.
For combo spells you have to cast certain techniques/ execute certain skills by two or more characters on the same turn. You can set macros that will automatically execute commands during battle. It is the easiest way to do combos.
>>
Is there a canon time line for all the games?
>>
is Alys having such a similar name to Alis from the first game just a translation error or some shit? Like, is it gonna have any relevance to the plot later on? Because her name is just Lyra in the japanese version, which isn't that similar to Alis
>>
>>2916503
PS -> PS Gaiden -> PSII Text Adventures -> PSII and PS Adventure -> PSIII and IV happen at the same time.
>>
>>2916564
I think PSIII and IV don't happen at the same time

PSII ->1000 years -> PSIV
PSII -> 1000 years -> Orakians vs Layans conflict (actually Dark Force happens) -> 1000 years -> PSIII
>>
>>2916632
Huh, I always thought that Conflict between Layans and Orakians happened right after II. I imagined Dark Force after being beaten by Rolf and co jump directly on Alisa III and started wrecking shit again.
>>
>>2913587
I love 1 and 4, but hate 2.

In 1, you grind at the beginning, which makes sense as your character is transitioning from unskilled pleb living in heavily guarded bubble society to being a combat driven adventurer.

In 2, you grind at the beginning, despite having someone with you who's supposed to be a government agent. You grind once you get to the next town because you need money. You grind at the beginning of each dungeon because of the level gap in enemies. You grind in each dungeon because the random encounter rate is so fucking high, the dungeons are mazes, and your field of view isn't even as wide as the hallway you're in 1/2 the time. Annoying as fuck, you're never NOT grinding and the plot is so paper thin you often lose it entirely between plot points.

4, was balanced. You can grind, but don't need to unless preparing for a boss or to fulfill a bounty. It's worth it sometimes, but tactics can often overcome harder enemies, especially with the addition of combo-skills. Driven plot and subplots continuously through out the game. Side quests were available and interesting.
>>
>>2854373
>>2866298
I think Sega has more reason to be ashamed of most 3D Sonic games than PSIII.
>>
>>2916873

Are you me?
>>
>>2916647
They awkwardly tried to tie-up PS2 and PS3 in Compendium

>AW 1284 - Eusis, who has become a Motabian Agent, is assigned to the Biosystem incident. Before long, Eusis and party are marked as notorious sympathizers of the underground resistance. The resistance discovers that Eusis and the others are being held on the prison satellite Gaila; Tyler, commander of the raider warship Landeel, is dispatched to rescue them. Shortly before that, the underground resistance's young leaders, Ohario Sa Riik and Aina Le Cille, succeed in cutting off their spaceship's remote control system from Mother Brain, and, before the fall of Gaila, evacuate many people in rescue ships left over from the time of the Conjunction.* Two people of the La Shiec bloodline are among them. These tens of ships start a journey to look for a new world beyond their solar system. Immediately afterwards, Eusis and company defeat Dark Force, Mother Brain, and the Earthmen race, but what happened after that is unknown.
>>
>>2914212
Not him but:
>Exp nedded to Lv.3 to Lv.4 = 50
>Enemies give 2 to 6 exp

It's going to be a long ride, isn't it?
>>
>>2917074
Go buy the secret thing for 200 gold plus save another 100 and get another party member instead of wasting forever fighting, wished I had done that sooner.
>>
>>2916441
>character from III in IV
If you mean Wren that's just some translation bullshit. 'Wren' from PS3 is Siren in Japanese, same model as that enemy Siren android only with skin. 'Wren' from PS4 is Foren in Japanese, an unrelated model. There is an enemy random encounter called Siren 386, though. I guess they're supposed to be the same as the PS3 Sirens.

>how the fuck to combo spells work?
The characters have to act without any other actions inbetween.
Say you want to use Triblaster, so you use Wat, Tsu and Foi but your other two characters just attack, if the battle order turns out that a character or monster gets to act inbetween the characters using the techinques the combo will fail.

So:
Chaz: Tsu, Hahn: Wat, Alys: Foi -> with no interuptions this will cause Triblaster.
But!
Chaz: Tsu, Hahn: Wat, a sandworm attacks! Then Alys uses Foi -> no combo.

What you want to do is check the characters speed stats and set up a macro so that the slowest one goes first, and characters not part of the combo should move first. This will mean your combo is likely be left until the end of the round so it is far less likely to be interrupted by monster actions and your own character actions cannot interrupt them.

I'm not good at explaining things, I hope this makes sense. Here's a list of possible combinations. http://www.phantasy-star.net/psiv/combos.html
>>
>>2916560
>Like, is it gonna have any relevance to the plot later on?
It's not much of a spoiler to say: no. Like you said, it's different in Japan. they changed a lot of the names for no real reason. Like Fal fit the four character limit just fine but they renamed her Rika.

>>2916632
Another example of translations changing things for no reason. The Orakian vs Layan thing didn't actually happen 1000 years before the game and the game supposedly DOES take place at a similar timeframe to PS4 (though with the generational gimmick I have no idea how exactly that works, I guess we can only assume that PS3 is over before the Profound Darkness is destroyed.)
>>
>>2916963
I don't think so, but only because you post while I'm at work. You seem to have good taste though; meet me in the back of the Hunter's Guild in Aiedo and I'll buy you a dance.
>>
File: RetroArch-0115-001501.png (469KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
RetroArch-0115-001501.png
469KB, 1024x768px
l-lewd...
>>
>>2917245
>Destruction Deban + Megid + Legeon + Positron Bolt
Fuck me, how much damage does that do?
Also,
>Holocaust Savol /-\ Diem
kek
>>
>>2918550
Destruction's damage is approx. 3 * Megid's damage.

Source: http://www.gamefaqs.com/genesis/563334-phantasy-star-iv/faqs/23221
(There's an interesting question of whether Wren's str or mtl is used for calculation of this particular combo, normally its the mtl of all users. There's also the question of what power deban adds, and whether the caster of deban's mtl is added to the average. For that matter, can a character evoke deban from an item, and have this combo still happen?)
>>
>>2913585
and they were like the biggest enemies in the game, what the fuck
>>
I love you guys. PS4 is my favorite video game ever and I fucking love the whole saga, its music and lore. I thought I would die and never know anyone who liked and knew about PS as much as me.
>>
>>2918550
999 is the damage cap and I'm pretty sure it can hit it.
>>
In the English versions, 1000 years separate PSI and PSII, but in the Japanese versions, only 942 years separate the two. And in the Japanese versions, the far future (at least relative to the English versions) era of AW 3284 is explored!

Also, the very origin of the Algo system differs between the English and Japanese versions. I won't go into any more detail here about this or any of the other differences between the English and the Japanese Phantasy Star games, but if you're still not convinced, or if you just want to hear more, I invite you to read The Two Phantasy Stars, a report co-authored by myself and Neilast, webmaster of Beyond Algo. Needless to say, the date and origin comparisons alone conclusively prove, beyond all doubt, that the English Phantasy Star games and the Japanese Phantasy Star games exist in separate continuities.

That being said, some Phantasy Star fans instead prefer, when playing the English versions, to disregard the differences and "play in the Japanese continuity," viewing the English versions as mere translations, not different versions, and ignoring any changes they encounter as they play. Certainly, I have no problem with this view.

However, I must respectfully disagree if this view is extended to include the idea that "there is only one 'true' Phantasy Star universe," or if one continuity is declared "official" or "canonical" while the other is not.

With all due respect to anyone who believes that only one continuity, be it Japanese or English, is "official" -- in which case the other must, by default, be "unofficial" -- I point out that you do not determine what is "official" Phantasy Star and what isn't. The only entity which can do this is the Sega corporation. They are the owners of Phantasy Star. What they say is "official" or "true" is what is "official" and "true," and they do this by releasing video games titled "Phantasy Star."
>>
>>2919814Numerous facts from within the games prove that the English Phantasy Star games and the Japanese Phantasy Star games tell a story which, while incredibly similar, is also easily different enough to establish separate continuities; the stories within the two series exist in separate "universes." However, each series is equally "real." To suggest that only one universe is "real" and the other is somehow "fake" is incredibly arrogant; it suggests that you determine what is Phantasy Star and what isn't, as opposed to the creator and owner of Phantasy Star, the Sega corporation, making that determination.

This brings us to the point of this introductory essay. At the bottom of this page you will find links to numerous essays on the opinions and theories I hold regarding the Phantasy Star story, and why I believe them. As a caveat, however, all of the theories I will discuss pertain to the English Phantasy Star Continuity only, and as the English Continuity itself is not wholly compatible with the Japanese Continuity, neither will my theories.

Why the English Continuity and not the Japanese? Am I trying to say that the English version is "correct," and anyone who wishes to discuss the Japanese versions are wrong? Not at all. I simply have hardly ever played the Japanese Phantasy Star games. I know very little about them. How can I discuss a video game series I have never played in-depth?

Also, it will be stated on many -- if not all -- of the theory pages that I will be posting that the theory discussed on that page is compatible with Phantasy Star Ultimate, a complete timeline and "universe" of theories designed to unite and explain all inconsistencies within the English Phantasy Star continuity. For more information, I invite you to view the complete Phantasy Star Ultimate Timeline.
>>
>>2919818

Having established that there is an English Phantasy Star continuity and a Japanese Phantasy Star continuity -- and that while they are indeed separate entities, they are both equally canonical -- it bears further mention to make clear that though I personally follow the English continuity, I have no "grudge" against anyone who follows the Japanese. Anyone who prefers the Japanese continuity over the English continuity holds a perfectly valid opinion. Likewise, anyone who believes that the English versions of the games should have been 100% as-accurate-as-possible translations of the Japanese games also holds a perfectly valid opinion -- criticize Sega all you want.

However, there is still a select group of fans who do more than doubt the canonity of the English continuity. Despite the overwhelming evidence, this group of fans do not believe that the English continuity even exists! Their chief argument in support of this idea seems to center around "creators' intent." Because the English games are not 100% as-accurate-as-possible translations of the Japanese games, they feel the games are inconsistent with the vision of the "original Japanese creators," and thus merely represent mistakes and not a new continuity -- despite the fact that the games are official Sega releases. They see the original Japanese creators, not the Sega corporation, as the true owner of Phantasy Star. Because of their position, I have labelled them "Japanese purists" -- for no Phantasy Star can be valid to them unless it is the "vision" of purely the Japanese creators.
>>
>>2919824

It is folly to look at the games in this manner because doing so means applying the properties of a creator-owned work to a company-owned work. A book by Stephen King originally written in English and translated into Japanese, for example, must remain true to King's original vision because he, Stephen King, is the owner of the work. The copyright to the Phantasy Star games, however, belongs not to Rieko Kodama or Yuji Naka but to the Sega corporation; therefore, any game released by Sega with the name "Phantasy Star" must represent true Phantasy Star, for it is Sega, not Rieko Kodama or Yuji Naka, that determines who the "creators" of a Phantasy Star game are.

Further, the Phantasy Star games are team efforts, and so it is a tangled web indeed that one weaves when one starts assigning individual creators with roles more important than others. For example, Rieko Kodama is credited with "general direction" on Phantasy Star IV, while Tohoru Yoshida is credited with "story, planning, character design, graphics, etc." according to the Phantasy Star Official Production Compendium. Let's assume for a moment that Yoshida's original idea for the story was to have Rika die (as an homage to Nei's death in Phantasy Star II) while Alys continues to the end of the game -- but Kodama overruled him in her oversight of the game's general direction. Under the Japanese purists' concept of "creators' intent," the actual Phantasy Star IV game released to stores -- English and Japanese! -- instantly becomes invalid, because the game does not represent the original intent of the creator -- in this case, Yoshida.

No, considering that Phantasy Star is company owned and not creator owned, and especially considering that the Phantasy Star games are team efforts -- and one without the vision of a single creator behind it, no less -- the individual creators behind the games are irrelevant. The sole factor that determines whether a game is valid Phantasy Star or not is the Sega log.
>>
>>2919828

For a moment, however, let us look at the Japanese purists' idea that the English games do not represent a new continuity (separate, but equal) because they are not consistent with the Japanese games. Again, it's folly to look at the opinions of the individual game creators and not the finished product -- the games themselves -- but for the sake of the defense of the validity of the English continuity, let's address the purists' concerns.

For years the Japanese purists have said that if the original Japanese creators had been behind the English games, rather than hack Sega translators, the games would have come out differently. The cry of the Japanese purists has been loud and clear throughout the years of Phantasy Star internet fandom: when it comes to the English games, the "original Japanese creators" would not approve.

It's important to note that this is not an opinion statement on their part, it's their guess as to what the opinion of the original Japanese creators would be. As such, we can look at available evidence and determine whether or not it supports or disproves their guess. And based on two recently discovered pieces of evidence, it would appear that the Japanese purists were dead wrong on the "original Japanese creators'" reaction to the English games.
>>
>>2919829

First, Phantasy Star Collection for the Gameboy Advance was released on December 17, 2002. It contains Phantasy Star I, Phantasy Star II, and Phantasy Star III, and the game's text remains almost completely unchanged from the original English releases of the games. This is especially notable because the game opens with a splash screen that says "Supervised by Overworks" and Overworks is the development group that is made up of many of the members of the original Phantasy Star teams. (One review of the game indicates that the specific members of Overworks who carried out the supervision were Rieko Kodama, Tohru Yoshida, Yoshiaki Endo.)

This is a crushing blow to the purists who insist the "original Japanese creators" would never approve of the English translations released in the late 80s and early 90s. With Overworks in a supervisory position on the collection, they could have changed anything. Instead, they changed very little. The only difference discovered thus far between the original English releases of the games and Phantasy Star Collection's version of the games was reported by Camineet.net reader Seth Booker, who says the Governor's original line "In the Maharu Cave lives an esper named Noah. I will give you a letter of introduction to present to her" has been changed to "In the Maharu Cave lives an esper named Noah. I will give you a letter of introduction to present to him." This is a defeat to the purists because they insisted the original Japanese creators would change much more -- Noah's name, the Space Century date of the game, the healing items sold in the First Food shops, etc.
>>
>>2919831

Some have sought to explain this near complete lack of changes away by pointing to Phantasy Star Collection's "PSI save bug" as evidence that Overworks must not have been involved -- what, Overworks is perfect and never, ever releases a game with a bug in it, so if the game contains a bug, then someone must have slipped in that "Supervised by Overworks" splash screen without Overworks's consent?

Another explanation -- even more incredible -- is that specifically because so little of the original English text of the games was changed, Overworks must not have had any involvement with the collection -- again, despite the fact that their company logo appears right at the beginning of the game! Apparently the purists have so convinced themselves that the "original Japanese creators" would change so much in the games that when the truth that they have changed very little comes to light, the purists simply pretend the original creators weren't involved at all. In short, the explanation offered is that the "Supervised by Overworks" splash screen really doesn't mean anything. It must just be there for show. Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

If this explanation is true, it means that Overworks allows its name to be attached to games they have nothing to do with, that Overworks simply farms out its logo to anyone who wants to slap it on their games -- and isn't that an interesting way to develop a reputation as a distinguished developer?
>>
>>2919834

The second notable recent development that throws cold water on the purists' idea that the "original Japanese creators" would consider the English games incorrect abominations is the English version of the personal website of Phantasy Star III's character designer, Toyo Ozaki. Ozaki makes it clear that her website is "unofficial," which I certainly take to mean unaffiliated with Sega in any way -- which should be a great thing for the Japanese purists. Here, free from incompetent Sega translators, Ozaki can give us her undiluted "original creator's intent" for the Phantasy Star III characters, right?

That being the case, the Japanese purists must be absolutely mortified to see that throughout the English version of her site, Ozaki uses the characters' English game names. If the original Japanese creators would not approve of the work of the hack Sega translators, shouldn't she call Wren "Shiren"? Shouldn't she call Rhys "Kane"? Shouldn't she call Gwyn "Laya"? She should, if the purists are correct. However, she does not.

One last time, the opinions of individual creators as to what is canonical and what is non-canonical Phantasy Star are irrelevant -- for the determination of canon, we can only look at finished products that bear the Sega logo. However, some Japanese purists don't see it this way and instead point solely to "original creators' intent" as their reasoning for why the English continuity does not exist. These purists now find themselves with a very, very tough case to make indeed. If the purists wish to play a Phantasy Star game that contains an extremely accurate-to-the-Japanese translation, I would point them towards fan translations. But if one wants the official English text of the games -- deemed official by the game's owners -- one must go to the original Sega releases or Sega's new Gameboy Advance Phantasy Star Collection.

And those translations, it would seem, carry the blessing of the "original Japanese creators" themselves.
>>
play the game, I actually switched to it after i got sick of breath of fire, long ass pointless game imho. I very much enjoined the characters, and the overall story line. Is to the point, but with several twist along the way to keep you interested. O and I remember why I switched I wanted a genesis only rpg, and this came highly recommended
>>
>>2919836
can we skip the autism wars and get to the interesting stuff?
>>
>>2919748

I think you mean 9999...and yes, Destruction has hit it a number of times on my files. This ain't Final Fantasy 1, after all...
>>
Is the Mega Drive version of Phantasy Star 1 a good start? I know Japanese, so no worries on that front.
>>
>>2919836
>If I just keep shrieking incoherently about "Japanese purists" it will somehow change what the characters' actual names are, r-right?
>>
>>2919889
Phantasy Star 1 was on the Master System (Sega Mark III in Japan), not the Mega Drive.

Also yes, it's a great game. I recommend playing it with maps though, unless you're real hardcore.
>>
>>2919946
It has Mega Drive version too in Japan.
>>
>>2919814
>>2919818
>>2919824
>>2919828
>>2919829
>>2919831
>>2919834
>>2919836
this is weapons-grade autism
>>
The Phantasy Star Ultimate timeline is fucking fanfiction, wtf? According to it, the ship from Phantasy Star III enters a wormhole that exits near Earth, and then the ship crashes in our moon and everyone perishes. How does this shit even make sense?
>>
>>2920101

You could weaponize autism with the site it came from: http://www.ripplinger.us/camineet/theories/

>>2920204

It was made in the 90s by some spergs that wanted to make their shit fanfiction gel with the games 100%. Their best solution was to rewrite the games with "theories" to do so, like the Alisa III's fatal moon visit and Lutz not being Noah. This is also the explanation for that giant wall of text posted earlier; once they learned that the English translations flubbed several bits of the backstory (which is understandable considering the time period) their fanfictions were based on, they claimed the English and Japanese games were a different continutiy so they wouldn't have to retool their fanfiction and merticulously-crafted timeline made over Usenet in the mid to late 90s.

Thankfully the Phantasy Star Ultimate timeline and the "Japanese and English games are two different continuities!" affair have been mostly forgotten over the years and are now best used to terrorize innocent people with giant walls of text on 4chan's PS discussions instead of being a serious debate tool.
>>
>>2920249

The Japanese and US versions of the Phantasy Star series games are completely different, and you can't prove otherwise.
>>
>The Phantasy Star Ultimate
Oh my, I haven't thought anyone even remembers it.
I remember 10 or something years back, when I first encountered PS and was fascinated by it's worldbuilding and lore I searched every corner of the net for info about it and came across Phantasy Star Ulimate. Boy, was I "WTF am I reading" when half of their timeline contradicted everything I read from official sources.
However, I even decided to read several o their fanfiction stories, because I was a sucker for everyting PS-related.
Don't remember much about their PSI fanfic, but the one set post-PSII, where Lashiek drops his Air Castle on Motavia and Nei Third brutally kills Lutz (with complete description of her biting off his fingers, eating his eye and cutting his arms and legs) and Rudo. This shit forever triggers me when I see any mention of Phantasy Star Ultimate.
Poor guys, they didn't know that Nei Third already existed in PS canon and she was a very sweet character unlike that murderous fles eating monster from their fanfiction.
>>
>>2920284

That sounds utterly ridiculous, from Lassic randomly reappearing to drop the Air Castle on Motavia to a Neithird randomly appearing and having Lutz for Lunch and Rudo as an appetizer.

I never read the stories before (just WTFed at the theories), but I should take a peek it they're as bonkers as that.
>>
>>2920296
This particular story is called "The Great Collapse". Oh, and did I mention that in the very beginning Lassic minions from PSIV appear and brutally mutilate (but, thankfully, don't kill) Hugh?
>>
>>2920313

I JUST found it.

>LASHIEC DID 9/11 I MEAN THE GREAT COLLAPSE

High above Motavia, Lassic's Dark Castle and the asteroid it sat on exploded.

- - - - - - - - - -
The next several minutes passed in front of Rolf's eyes as if in slow motion. Fiery chunks of the asteroid spread out all across the sky in front of them. It was as if they were in the middle of a blast of fireworks that had just gone off, except these pretty red streams of fire would not die out harmlessly before hitting the ground or landing in water. These rays of death would strike the ground with furious force, destroying anything unfortunate enough to be underneath them, causing the earth to quake for miles around them, and if they hit the water, chances were a nice tidal wave would sweep across the ocean and devour any city that happened to get in its way.

Rolf blinked. His eyelids closed down, then raised back up. He could make out the landscape of the planet from here. He watched the first fragment of the exploding chunk of Palma hit in the countryside. Then he saw three more land in the north ocean.

His eyelids closed down, then raised back up. He tracked a chunk of the planet as it swirled around the sky, finally crashing to the ground just miles outside of Piata.

His eyelids closed down, then raised back up. A large chunk, burning red, seemed to be headed directly for Paseo. Rolf wondered if, somehow, Lassic's spirit was in this fragment, laughing, mocking him even in death. The former agent grimaced. Failure.

His eyelids closed down, then raised back up. The landscape ahead of him had noticeably changed. There was now a hole in the middle of Paseo.

His eyelids closed down. With everything still in slow motion, the words he heard from Tyler seemed long, drawn-out. "Hoooolllldd onnnnnnn!"

His eyelids raised up. He blinked away tears and watched the rearview. A chunk of the asteroid was heading directly for the ship. He grabbed the Elsydeon at his side. I'm so sorry...
>>
>Hugh jobs like a pro and gets his leg ripped off by a Xe-A-Thoul

Have to reach the alarm... Hugh told himself, gritting his teeth against the pain which racked his entire body. Need Kain...

Before he could get to his feet, the Xe-A-Thoul was back. Hugh saw it approach out of the corner of his eye, and when it was close, he reached out with one of his legs and kicked it in the abdomen. He was quite pleased to find that his attacker was indeed made of flesh; the ghoul reeled over as Hugh felt his foot crunch something underneath its flowing red robe. The attack gave Hugh enough time to get back to his feet, but he had not taken but three steps before something seized him by the back of the neck.

The Xe-A-Thoul grabbed him, spun him around so that they were face-to-face, and then squeezed his neck with one hand, lifting him high into the air. Hugh kicked his legs reflexively at the open space beneath his feet as his own hands groped at the bony one the creature held tightly around his throat. Need air! Hugh panicked internally. Can't breathe! I can't breathe!

"You are wasting your time attempting to fight me," Xarxas informed Hugh, his voice completely calm, "and your struggles to breathe are pointless, as well, for dead things do not require oxygen. Yes..." Xarxas laughed, "you will be dead soon, for I will break your bones..." With his free hand, the Xe-A-Thoul grabbed Hugh's right leg at the thigh and twisted. If the Biologist could have taken air into his lungs, he would have screamed in agony as the bone underneath was shattered.

"...I will rip your appendages from their sockets..." Xarxas grabbed Hugh's left leg at the ankle and pulled. A moment later, the leg hung limply from the rest of Hugh's body. Not only had the leg bone been removed from hip, but the tendons, ligaments, and most of the muscles holding it there had been torn away, as well. The leg was now attached only by skin and a few strands of muscle..
>>
>Neithird performs improptu surgery on Lutz

Lutz tried to take in a breath of air and instead coughed up another wad of blood. He looked down -- with his one remaining eye -- at the floor underneath where he had been pinned to the wall. The gray stone of the floor was a deep red, and he knew that the canvas was a work of Neithird art for which he had supplied the "paint."

Searching the room for her, he saw her crouching a few feet away from him, her back to him. She was obviously licking his blood off of her fingers. As if sensing that he was watching her, she spun her head around to face him, hissed in rage, and charged at him again.

He braced himself, but once again, she drove her claws through his right thigh, while she attacked his knee and lower leg with her mouth, lacerating the flesh and tearing off chunks of tissue with her teeth before spitting them behind her head. Lutz was certain that if he survived this -- and of that, he was by no means certain -- that Amy would have to amputate the leg. But he knew that Amy would not be the one to take it from him. It would be taken from him by Neithird, just as she had gouged out his eye. Just as she had cut off his left hand. And bitten the fingers off the right one by one.

She had used her claws to cut torches down from the poles they were mounted on the wall with, then she used those cut, jagged poles as spears, driving them through his shoulders and pinning him to the wall.

She had sliced her claws across his head, cutting off part of his scalp and throwing the long sky blue hair attached to it over her shoulder like a trophy.

She had stabbed and slashed him so much in the abdomen -- then jammed a lit torch into him to cauterize the wounds -- that he didn't know how he'd ever eat again. If, of course, he survived this.

But he'd never screamed. Not once.

And he didn't need his telepathic powers to tell him that was making Lassic very, very angry.
>>
>Rudo is given many new holes to breathe from by Neithird

He ducked the first sweep of her claws, which she aimed at his head. Too late, Rudo realized the initial swipe was just a ruse, a ploy to get him to fall right into the hands of her one-two combination, for when he ducked, he left himself wide open for a right hand to his abdomen. Her claws went deep inside him. A puddle of blood exploded out onto the floor at his feet. He yelled out in pain. Before he knew what was happening, Neithird was swiping her claws across his stomach, and then stabbing him there again. She slashed her left claws across his upper chest, then again stabbed his stomach with her right. A backhanded left slash to his chest, then another right-stab to his abdomen, then another, then another. Rudo bent over in pain, his blood spilling onto the floor, and then Neithird stepped to his side, scraped her claws across his back three times before driving an elbow into his spinal column and knocking him back down to the floor.

As he fell, he managed to roll over onto his back, but a moment later, his position didn't matter much, for Neithird sat on his mangled and lacerated torso -- it was her turn to pin him to the floor. However, rather that seize his arms with hers, as he had done to her, her vicious, inexorable nature showed through once more, and she instead drove her claws straight through his upper arms and into the stone floor beneath them, pinning him tightly. Rudo screamed in agony as his blood leaked past her claws to trickle out of his arms.
>>
>Rudo's face is tasty

He opened his eyes and saw Neithird right above him, howling and screaming, her black eyes wide and filled with carnage. First things first, she leaned her head down to his, swung in towards his left cheek, opened her mouth, and snatched his flesh between her teeth. She wiggled her mouth back and forth, a low growl emanating from the bottom of her throat, until finally she pulled away from his face, taking a bloody chunk of flesh with her, which she spit high into the air as her lungs unleashed another virulent howl.

Screaming again, Rudo looked up at her. It was a wonder he could still see -- most of the rest of his face was, by this time, covered with blood. But see her he did. He watched as she yanked her claws from his arms, and brought them high above his neck and heart, pointing downwards. At his sides, he tried to raise his arms to block her, and found he couldn't, at least not fast enough. He guessed they'd been nearly severed by her claws.

The author seemed to like Nei butchering people a bit too much.
>>
what the fuck am I reading?
>>
File: ozaki-thea-sari.jpg (48KB, 500x319px) Image search: [Google]
ozaki-thea-sari.jpg
48KB, 500x319px
>>2920401

Some dude getting a boner butchering PS2 characters.
>>
haha bad fanfiction and fan art are funny because I'm a 12 year old who is new to the Internet
>>
>>2920446

I'll rip your dick off and shove it up your asshole for a ding-dong.
>>
I just beat Phantasy Star 4

now what
>>
>>2920446
>i don't find silly stuff funny because i'm so mature and above all that shit
>>
>>2920671
Regret that you'll never play it for the first time again and try PSO. It's very different, but also good.
>>
>>2920694
Not at all, it's just tired and an easy way to spot newfag Redditors
>>
>>2920698
is it okay if I play it in single-player? because the gamecube servers are down now and I don't have the network adapter anyway
>>
>>2920707
Sure. Single campaign is nice and lengthy if you'll decide to complete side-quests.
>>
>>2920707
>because the gamecube servers are down now

What? I've been playing on Sylverant almost every day since just before Christmas.

The BBA is expensive, but if you have already done everything offline that you could (quests, hunts, max out mats, maybe even C-mode with a friend, etc.), then having access to people to quest with and lots of new quests and items is super worth it.

Get a keyboard though, or use a proxy and connect through your PC so you can type somehow. Seriously important.
>>
>>2920671
if you didn't cry and love everything about it you have no soul
>>
>>2920671

Beat the Profound Darkness with every character.
>>
>>2920671
>>2921527
THIS. Hard mode: take Gryz or Demi
>>
>>2920671
Go play Phantasy Star Online or other Phantasy Star games.
>>
>>2920707
Well you can play it on your computer for free from Ultima or Ephinea servers. I just started playing again last week and it plays a lot better then the Dreamcast and Xbox versions that I played before.
>>
File: 14784081.jpg (303KB, 600x850px) Image search: [Google]
14784081.jpg
303KB, 600x850px
>>2921591

I usually take Demi because she is cute and Medic Power is awesome.
>>
File: latest.png (269KB, 452x500px) Image search: [Google]
latest.png
269KB, 452x500px
I was fucking devastated when babbys first waifu died.
>>
>>2843094
Makes Dave & Busters seem like a fucking steal. I just wish they had more traditional arcade games and less ticket paying games.
>>
>>2892903
Yeah, the towns aren't remarkable, but the battles and dungeons look great.
>>
>>2919886
No, I mean nine hundred and nintey nine. This ain't any Final Fantasy, and FF1 did not cap at 999 anyway. I'm afraid your memory is broken, bruv'nor.
>>
>>2919814
>English Phantasy Star games and the Japanese Phantasy Star games exist in separate continuities.
What? That's dumb. The English ones don't have their own continuity, they're just wrong versions of the real story. There's one continuity and the English scripts just don't reflect it (I mean fuck, they're not even consistant eith each other.)
>>
>>2910597
>Softbank
Jesus Christ, just how big a conglomerate are they?
>>
>>2919889
The Mega Drive version is literally a Master System rom on a MD cart. Also, since the MD doesn't do Master System FM sound it's without a doubt worse than playing it on a Japanese MS or upgraded Mk. III.

If you're emulating make sure to use FM sound. If you're planning on playing on real hardware and you don't have a Jap MS or sound addon for Mk. III... emulate.
>>
>>2922232
I'm ashamed that I took the bait without reading all the posts first.

I will never learn.
>>
>>2921591

Nightmare mode: skip taking anyone and beat the PD with four characters instead of five.
>>
>>2922471
that makes rika your healer. if you don't go easy mode and take raja your 5th is always on star mist duty. so taking no one puts rika on healing since she learns nasar
>>
>>2920261
Why? Because the translations are inconsistent?
>>
>>2922558

Because they're in different continuities.
>>
>>2922572
no they aren't that's retarded
>>
For all its quality, the worst thing Phantasy Star 4 does is not tell you how powerful equipment is before you buy it. This wouldn't be a problem if equipment wasn't so Goddamn expensive. It's possible to spend a third of your money on claws that are two points stronger than the ones you have. This has happened to me more than once.
>>
>>2922572
is that becuase 1000 != 942?
if i told you something happened a thousand years ago, would you assume i literally meant it happened in 1016?
>>
>>2922589

I make it a rule to open up a weapon guide early on when I play old jRPGs so I know what's worth a purchase and what isn't before I start blowing large amounts of Meseta or whatever on the most expensive gear.

Thought honestly, at least PS4's weapon store progession is linear, unlike PS3's, where a weapon shop found later in the game will sell weaker weapons than the weapons you got 3 towns ago.
>>
>>2922652
at least heal spells actually heal you in PS4 unlike PS3 where they FUCKING fail half of the time

who designed that shitty game jesus christ I hate it so much
>>
>>2922667

Regular healing techs worked just fine; Anti and the revive techs would randomly fail, depending on the technique's level. Considering how much poison would fuck you up, it was easier to carry around Antidotes than try to deal with the poison-removing tech most of the time.
>>
>>2922675
healing fails sometimes too
>>
>>2922192
I actually wasn't, and never understood why folks got so upset over the losses of Nei and Alys. I mean, after learning that Rudo is joining up because of the loss of his wife and child, and the whole scene with the father and daughter on the bridge... Well, the game prepares you for the loss of a party member, even if indirectly.

The roster in both games is large enough to accommodate a better replacement, from a situational standpoint. I pretty much immediately realized this was how the game designers force you to expand beyond your comfort zone and experiment with other possibilities. I thought it was kind of ingenious, and only spoiled slightly by the fact the end-game gear is somehow all named after a deceased aberration.

Vidya gaems doe.
>>
>>2922726
Healing failed if you were poisoned, every time. It never failed otherwise.

Also, even putting three or four points into Anti or Rever made them work almost every time, so it was only ever a big deal if you maxxed out one of your other techs.
>>
>>2923208
This.

Most folks who complain about techs in PS III just don't properly use the system implemented. You can only get one super effective tech or two somewhat effective ones. Trying to balance them out is pointless.
>>
>>2923205
Losing them was sad because they were both great characters, great companions, and you thought they would stay for the entire game. Everyone thought Alys was going to be a main character so losing her was shocking and sad because she started to soften on Chaz at the end.
>>
>>2922652
I have played PS4 like 4 times and money has never been a problem
>>
>>2923208
I could have sworn healing failed on me a few times even when I wasn't poisoned

oh well, the game is garbage anyway
>>
>>2834546
PS4 is not retro
>>
>>2922526

Not necessarily. After Wren exhausts his Posibolt shots, Rika outpaces him in damage IF you kept the Silver Tusk. Considering she should have an insane number of Doubleslash's at that point, it's insane not to have her doing damage while WREN gets put on Star Mist duty. The only time Rika should be using Nasar/Star Mist is because Wren needs to recover(pretty sure Star Mist's don't recover android HP...). Considering also that Nasar costs 36 TP for each cast, and there's a HIGH chance the PD will cancel your defenses in its third form, going the Nasar route is even more risky because you may not have enough to put your defenses back up, and since Rika is responsible for the two most important ones(Deban and Saner)...yeah.
>>
>>2923380
PSIII is easily the worst game in the series, but that doesn't make it garbage. There were a lot of good ideas that didn't get executed as well as they could have, but that's what rushed development does to a game.

>>2924045
I found that Wren tended to spend most of his time recovering himself by the third form - his defense against energy/magic attacks is absolutely pitiful, and most of PD's attacks hit the whole party.

Putting him on star mist duty at that point in the fight would be a recipe for disaster - as someone else will have to sacrifice their turn to use a repair kit on him every turn the whole party needs healing. I'd say Chaz (or Rika) is probably the best person to pick for healing, as he's unlikely to die on a round when the party is counting on a star mist, and Rika is probably still outpacing him damage-wise by the time he runs out of useful skills and TP. Rune does too much damage to task him with healing unless things get desperate, as does Rika (as you said).
>>
>>2924045

To elaborate on >>2924739, on rounds when Wren starts at full health (after he's exhausted Posibolt and Burstroc), he's definitely the best healer (Flare's damage is pitiful, and his regular attack is even worse), but I found he spent a solid 1/2-2/3 of his turns recovering his own health (which means he can't recover the party's with much consistency).
>>
>>2924739
>>2924750

That's honestly never been my experience actually, aside from the rare times PD decides to single-target Wren. The huge danger is the second form where the electric damage is what can really fuck him over...the first and third forms don't really do much overall if you keep your defenses up.
I do, however, concede that Chaz MIGHT be a better choice...as you pointed out, Rune is just dealing apocalyptic damage, and we both agree on Rika. But my kneejerk strategy is still to go with Wren...even if he does get slapped around frequently, I've never noticed it be a problem.
>>
>>2922632
>if i told you something happened a thousand years ago, would you assume i literally meant it happened in 1016?
I'm on your side of the argument but... yeah. If you say 1000 years that means 1000 years.
You'd say ABOUT 1000 years if you didn't mean to be precise. This has nothing to do with the shit translations we know and loathe, I just don't want you thinking that a non-literal 1000 years is acceptable English.
>>
File: 1213162718282.jpg (61KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1213162718282.jpg
61KB, 640x480px
>>2918550
>Ultimate damaging spell combination uses Defense Buff

JRPG's are fuggin weird guys
>>
>>2925232
I think they just made it spells you'd expect a player to use against a final boss

that way they can discover it in the first place
>>
>>2925232
Look at it that way: heroes are unleashing Armageddon on their foes. Of course the have to somehow protect themselves from damage they are inflicting.
>>
>>2925232
Deband is logically to protect your own party from the destruction.
>>
So i bought Sonic's Collection and it has Phantasy Star and Shinning Force, which series is better?
I love Shinning Force EXA.
>>
>>2925328
They're pretty different. Shining Force is a strategy RPG. I like Phantasy Star more, but SF2 is a top game too.

Exa has nothing to do with the real Shining Force games so I wouldn't factor that into any decisions.
>>
>>2925323
>>2925302
>>2925237
>>2925232

While the assertion that Deban is there to protect your guys is probably most accurate, one of my friends(D&D nut) suggested that maybe it was also used to condense and focus the combo...kind of like how professionally built nuclear bombs are designed, Deban is the casing.
>>
Are there any people who actually beat all four Gen 3 routes in PSIII? How are they compared in terms of difficulty/length?

Also
>there are two Hoshi wo Miru Hito fan remakes but none for Phantasy Star III
>>
>>2925971
Aron and Adan are noticeably shorter since you start with the Sub Parts (which you acquire in Nial's story, but not in Ayn's) and get the Aero Parts very early. After the Aero Parts, the 4 stories become pretty much the same.

As for difficulty, they are all more or less the same. Crys is the only one that doesn't have Heal techs, so you miss out on healing, but by that point your other party members will give you more than enough healing anyway. Poison spamming also slows down after Gen 1, so that's not really much of an issue either.
>>
>>2925971
Crys' is undoubtedly the hardest, because you get less healing and have to do the most walking around before you get all of Wren's parts.

Aron's is probably the easiest, just because you can get the aero parts first thing and you get the version of Kara with healing.

Personally, I prefer Sean's, because he gets the best techs (being 3/4 Layan), but that mostly has to do with me preferring Ayn's route to Nial's than anything else.

As an aside; I'm pretty sure it's possible to complete Aron's route without Laya. If you give her bow to Mieu or Wren in Nial's quest, you'll have both Laya's pendant and bow at the start of the third generation, and thus won't need to get Laya back to gather all of the weapons for the sages. Has anyone tried that?

>Also
>>there are two Hoshi wo Miru Hito fan remakes but none for Phantasy Star III
I believe there are some fan remakes, but I don't remember any of them being any good. It's a shame Sega's not interested in re-making PSIII like they did with the first two games.
>>
>>2926105
Does anyone have any experience with the PSIII fan remakes? or any of the PS remakes for that matter

I'm currently doing the half-xp/half-meseta ``remake'' of PSIV
>>
>>2926626
Why? I never saw the appeal of games with small mods like that. Fan translations, sure, but why bother with 1/2 $/xp? Couldn't you just gamegenie that anyways?
>>
>>2925343
No connection between EXA and the early games?
I wanted to know more about Malxatra...
>>
>>2923297
I could tell she was going to die before she did. Had a suspicion for a while and the prophet in one of the earlier towns confirmed my suspicion.

Alys was fucking awesome though. She is missed.
>>
>>2925208
>You'd say ABOUT 1000 years if you didn't mean to be precise. This has nothing to do with the shit translations we know and loathe, I just don't want you thinking that a non-literal 1000 years is acceptable English.
The face of autism

So you foam at the mouth when someone says the united states is 200 years old because it's actually 240?

On a geological scale, such nitpicks are pointless. The earth is 4.543 billion years okld, so by your reasoning you should foam at the mouth because I rounded to the nearest thousandth, and you should go on a killing spree if anyone dare say the earth os 'four and a half billion years old'.

TL;DR you're fucking retarded.
>>
>>2917853
I've still got no idea what that meant.
>>
>>2861839
>the spells are confusing as fuck
yeah, I think so too. Still not sure what half of them do, and why combos only seem to happen half the time when I use the exact same moves.
>>
>>2927843
I'm fairly sure a lot of t hem were covered in the manual, or maybe not, who knows. Games had manuals back then instead of tutorials.
>>
File: IMG_20151210_145803.jpg (964KB, 4160x3120px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151210_145803.jpg
964KB, 4160x3120px
>>2851391
>>2851394
>>2851396
Gross, flat screen.

I'd take the game though.
>>
>>2927845
Bought my copy used, never got a manual sadly. I always read the manuals if I get them though.
>>
>>2843073
not until the EDN8 vrc7 mapper has audio support.

Seeing how MMC5 support is claimed but the ONLY MMC5 GAME that works is Castlevania III, I have some doubts.
>>
>>2926626
>>2927427
Fans of PS2 all seem to agree that the pacing/progression of PS4 makes replays less enjoyable, since there's no incentive to explore alternate movesets/characters like in PS2

>You can literally never buy any equipment, and still beat PS4 easily (upgrading with found equipment only)

Some fan remakes of PS4 take it too far (the hell mod and purgatory mod come to mind) while others try to make PS4 just a bit harder (again, to incentivize trying out different characters/strategies/loadouts)

When was the last time you used shift? Its an awesome spell, but the stock ROM isn't hard enough to warrant using many of the buffs/debuffs
>>
Anyone tried any of these?

PS1 (http://www.romhacking.net/?page=hacks&game=871)
>Hordes of Nei

PS2 (http://www.romhacking.net/?page=hacks&game=66)
>Numan Revolution
>Evil Overload
>Modernization

PS3 (http://www.romhacking.net/?page=hacks&game=67)
>Nial Edition

PS4 (http://www.romhacking.net/?page=hacks&game=1062)
>Hell
>Purgatory
>Arranged
>>
>>2928643
the shit overworld makes PS2 replays even less enjoyable
>>
>>2927826
>So you foam at the mouth
You're the one who sounds angry, m8.
>>
>>2927843
Check this post: >>2917245
>>
I'd just like to say that even though I haven't been reading or joining in this thread, seeing it bumped and grow over the last month or so has encouraged me to finally start playing PS1 and I'm totally in love with it!
>>
>>2930486

Once you get decent gear for Alis and a companion or two, you can grind the enemies in your screenshot for money. They drop a good amount of it.
>>
>>2870291
wow. first time i've seen thismy opinion posted.
I loved this soundtrack so much back in the day.
strange to hear how well it holds up
>>
>>2930486
>Phantasy_Star_(USA,_Europ(...).pngPhantasy_Star_(USA,_Europe)
Oh no! You should've read the thread, m8. You've made a terrible mistake. No FM music for you! I weep for you!
>>
>>2928679
>PS3 (http://www.romhacking.net/?page=hacks&game=67)
>>Nial Edition
No, but I do intend to try that one out, perhaps this weekend. If the thread's still around, I'll let you know how it is.

>>2931480
It really sets the tone for the game, I think, and I haven't heard much else from the genesis that sounds like it.
>>
>>2932695
it's not a huge deal. the official translation of the first game is pretty damn good

though yeah, he should probably get the fan translation of 2
>>
>>2934356
The official translation of 2 is clearly from an era where large amounts of text translation wasn't really a thing. Its very Engrish and its hard to tell who is speaking, when, and where voices change. Even then, I just replayed it and the ending was as amazing as ever. One of the best in any game.
>>
File: Opening.webm (1MB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
Opening.webm
1MB, 320x240px
>>
>>2934356
The first game has a way worse translation than 2. The retranslation of 2 changes fuck all anyway... Still it is mildly better than the official translation, yeah.

But I'm not even talking about that, he's missing out on the good music that only the Japanese rom of PS1 has and that's a genuine crying shame.
>>
>>2934448

I thought Nero was giving you a thumps-up in the intro when I first saw it.
>>
>>2928679
>>2933617
>>PS3 (http://www.romhacking.net/?page=hacks&game=67)
>>>Nial Edition
>No, but I do intend to try that one out, perhaps this weekend. If the thread's still around, I'll let you know how it is.

I've played through Rhys' generation, and I can say that I'm not terribly impressed. The dialogue changes are poorly-written and don't mesh well with the bits and pieces of old dialogue left lying around (not to mention the frequent spelling and occasional grammatical errors).

Supposedly weapons are weaker and enemies are stronger, but the renamed (and apparently re-statted) weapons seem to be far more effective against the enemies that what you would use in the original game. The doubled meseta and exp makes the (already fairly easy) game a cakewalk. I'll probably play through the rest of it, but only because I'm going to be bored as shit this weekend. Supposedly Ayn's route is (intentionally) impossible - but I plan to give it a try anyway.
>>
>http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/373/
>Phantasy Star III: Easy Edition

Jesus. How can you make this game easier? And why would you even do that?
>>
>>2937061
I guess it's for people who don't want to bother doing even minimal grinding.
Thread posts: 504
Thread images: 54

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.