[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

DN3D

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 464
Thread images: 65

File: Duke Nukem.jpg (15KB, 284x177px) Image search: [Google]
Duke Nukem.jpg
15KB, 284x177px
/vr/'s opionion on Duke Nukem 3D. Either it be favourite level, favourite weapon, or l Favourite quote or least favourite enemy. Or just anything in general about the game and it's expansions.
>>
There is tons of level on workshop if u have steam version + you get mods like dn3d beach and l.a etc..
>>
Yeah the support for the game is really good. And for good reason.
>>
>>2805070
The workshop is a good start, and it's good to bring a renew popularity to the game and some usermaps, but in terms of quality and quantity of user created content for the game it barely scratches the surface.
I did upload quite a lot of maps there myself (mine and some of my friends or fav maps) but tons of people never bothered to upload their maps there, and also tons of maps and mods aren't compatible with Megaton anyway.
>>
>>2805070

Any creepy Episode 2 inspired levels full of sentry drones? I could use some adrenaline kick.
>>
File: 1445030230401.jpg (64KB, 600x800px) Image search: [Google]
1445030230401.jpg
64KB, 600x800px
>>2805014
One of the top 10 FPS games ever

>level
Hard one. I really like Derelict a lot, but there's so many other great ones.

>weapon
Either the cool ass Winchester shotgun (pic related, the actual one), or the Shrinker, I like it because a big bad mama jama like a commander can come, whereupon you can give him a ray and then crush him under your boot. There's something so immensely satisfying to trivialize what's supposed to be a threatening foe. I always save some charges for the fatasses

I also love the Microwave Ray, but it falls short because you only find it and the batteries in a few places in Episode 4, and you'd think it'd be great to have against the new Protector Drones because those assholes are dangerous, but you gotta score numerous hits for them to start swelling and blowing up, and they're fast, dangerous bastards, I rarely manage to successfully microwave those suckers, and it's not rare for them to come in pairs, in which case you GOTTA change your strategy.
It's a fun weapon, and it does a lor of damage even if you don't explode anyone with it, but you don't get to have very much fun with it.

>quote
"Die, you son of a bitch!"
(it's the tone that makes it)

>least favourite enemy
I want to say the protector drones, they're almost the Arch-Vile of this game, but I honestly kind of like the element of challenge they add.

>Or just anything in general about the game and it's expansions.
Duke Caribbean: Life's A Beach, is one of the best expansion packs ever made (for any game), and you MUST play it.
It's funny, it's upbeat, it's comfy, it's charming, it's creative, and the maps are actually really good, they play very well.

Duke It Out In D.C is just ok.

Nuclear Winter is hot garbage. I was afraid it was just gonna be retooled and reskinned first episode maps, but it turned out to actually be a lot fucking worse than that and I wish they'd have just done what I first suggested for the duration of the episode. Yare yare.
>>
>>2805447
>It's a fun weapon, and it does a lor of damage even if you don't explode anyone with it, but you don't get to have very much fun with it.

Yeah, what's sad is that it is also very very very underused in usermaps. Even more so than the tripmines.

And yeah it takes almost full ammo to kill a Newbeast with it.

>Duke Caribbean: Life's A Beach, is one of the best expansion packs ever made (for any game), and you MUST play it.

Right there with you. Best thing that ever came out of DN3D, everything taken into account.
It is also the apotheosis of Sunstorm Interactive, who did plenty of add-ons, for DN3D, Shadow Warrior, Blood, Redneck Rampage... all their add-ons are good, but this is the best by far.
>>
Fuck sentry drones.

> favourite level, favourite weapon, or l Favourite quote or least favourite enemy.
What about favorite music ?
I really like Alienz, I used to use it as a soundtrack for other games with a sci-fi feel but without music (Escape Velocity for example)
>>
>>2805470
Which ones are, the Drones or the Viles?
The Drones are vicious melee fighters and have the capability to discharge a shrinking ray from their body, which is a HUGE hazard, because then even a lowly assault trooper or pig cop can be a huge hazard, besides the drone itself crunching you (and it's fast, so it may very well do so).

Because they're fast, have special abilities can do damage quickly, and can take a beating, I think they match up somewhat to Arch-Viles, who are fast, can deal damage quickly and have special abilities that can make shit difficult for you in a hurry.
Though Arch-Viles are scarier.

>>2805501
>underused in usermaps
Really? I haven't actually checked out user mapsets for Duke, because i wasn't sure of how it worked, if it was as easy as loading a .wad for Doom
Shame, it's a pretty great weapon.

Another I love is the Freezer, which is actually really good, it can put a Drone in the parking gear in a real hurry, and it can also deflect shots at angles, at a cost of damage, sure, but offering a tactical advantage.

The pipebombs and the RPG feel terribly good with their booming explosions scattering enemies in parts everywhere.
The pistol is also pretty great once you have a supply of magazines, not a powerhouse but it's dependable in that you can carry quite a lot of bullets and it shoots fast, giving you a decent chance of stunning weaker enemies so they can't attack you back as frequently (or at all).

Tripmines can be good, but I almost never find myself using them on enemies, more often than not I'll use them as demolition charges to get through walls, so I can save pipebombs and rockets for violence. (this can usually be done safely if there's space to trip the laser from a distance).

Are there any mapsets made with Duke Caribbean as a base? I loved it and would like more. However, I really liked the soundfont, the echo-y like quality Megaton Edition put on the music, can this be emulated in another sourceport?
>>
>>2805638
Megaton's musics are .ogg, they're all under the "gameroot\music" directory, and since they share the same name as the original .mid, you can just copy/paste them into your EDuke32 sourceport folder and it will play them.

There isn't a mapset made with Caribbean Life's art, but there is Vacation Cove, which is heavily inspired by Caribbean Life
http://msdn.duke4.net/hotvcove.php
>>
>>2805662
>There isn't a mapset made with Caribbean Life's art
But that's dumb!

The assets are fantastic and novel! Does the Duke community just not map as much as the Doom one?
>>
>>2805803
Not as much, no, but we're probably in the top 3 active retro FPS.

It's just that, DN3D mapping has always been more about single maps than episodes or mods (although the trend has gradually being reversed the past few years), and that, as far as single maps go, it's more of a burden to use custom textures than it is in Doom. In Doom, it's easy, everything's in wad, whether you have new art or not. In Duke you need 2 seperate files, the art file being overwritten if you install another map who put new art in the same slots. So extra art is generally more for mods.
Plus, contrary to Doom, the original texture set is huge and varied, and you have a LOT of freedom on how to apply textures (or even use sprites as textures, etc), so you can do pretty much do any theme you want granted you're a little creative.
And mapping for a specific add-on rather than mapping for the original game feels like you're restricting your playerbase even more.
>>
>>2805638
What is Duke shooting at, on that image?
>>
>>2805014
One of my first PC games. Too bad it gives me motion sickness when I play it now.
>>
>>2805829
Maybe you're not cut out for being up close to PC screens?

Have you considered playing on a TV?
The Megaton port is only like 10 bux on consoles. It's not perfect, but maybe with the screen across the room it won't affect you as much
>>
>>2805828
Duh, Pigcops are obviously hiding deep into the sand you silly !
>>
Megaton or eDuke32?
>>
I preferred Duke DC to Caribbean. Caribbean had a fatal map-design bug in the very first goddamn level.

That said, I'm hoping something like this gains traction, because EDUKE a shit:

http://fabiensanglard.net/duke3d/chocolate_duke_nukem_3D.php
>>
What's the best version other than PC?

Saturn, N64 or PS1?
>>
>>2805872

Megaton.
>>
>>2805878

Supposedly N64.
>>
>>2805878
They all have pros and cons.

N64 has some new areas, some of which are good, some of which are utter shit. Some other areas were replaced by others, some with new art. There are new weapons, including the AWESOME grenade launcher. There is no music.
Grenade launcher alone is worth playing it.

PS1 has so changed art as well but more minor. It is the most accurate console port of the original. It has a new exclusive episode, with new art and enemies as well.

Saturn is a recreation of the whole game in another 3D engine (the same lobotomy used for their saturn versions of Powerslave and Quake) with dynamic lights. It is the least accurate as it's a recreation, all behaviours feel different. But it's interesting to play for the new 3D engine, that runs super well, even on Saturn.

>>2805872
the latter
>>
File: Duke Nukem.jpg (9KB, 298x169px) Image search: [Google]
Duke Nukem.jpg
9KB, 298x169px
>>2805828
Here is a zoomed out version, not much different, but it's the all might Duke standing on a pile of Alien scum, shooting downwards, killing more of the bastards.
>>
>>2805872
If you're on console, Megaton, it doesn't cut any levels or stuff unlike many console ports from the 90's. Also, it controls pretty well, which isn't the case for all those console ports, in my opinion desu

Though then there's Duke 64, which is kind of like a redux of the game, has a lot of cool new things and changes (although it's censored).
>>
>>2806049
Also PSX Duke has a fucking amazing soundtrack (you'll hate it if you dislike techno/trance stuff though)
>>
>>2806065
>PSX soundtrack
I'm listening to this now. I had no idea they did this to it. This is like genuine acid trance, lol. It's pretty good!
>>
>>2806065
>>2806152
Yeah, the console ports of Duke had pretty tits soundtrack, check out this rendition of Stalker (Hollywood Holocaust)

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=INW4dX0fXkA
Freeway and Gotham are great too.

Hell, even Megaton has it going, it adds an echo effect to the tracks, and for some of them, it just sounds fantastic, the Duke Caribbean tracks in particular feel so very rich and lively.
>>
>megaton babbies
>>
>>2806625
>still forcing the suffix-babbie maymay
>still doing it on your own
I'm glad I'm not as pitiful as you are.
>>
> Eat shit and die!

My fav quote
>>
>>2805014
>favourite level
E4L4: Babe Land

>favourite song
E2L8: Plasma

>favourite weapon
Microwave Expander

>favourite quote
"Its time to kickass and chew bubblegum....and I'm all out of gum"

>least favourite enemy
Sentry drones are the plague

>in general
Just about everything about The Birth episode.
>>
TY, OP

just stubling across this topic remembered that i did notcompleted "THE GATE" addon
best music and ton of new features

palette applied to pigcops to make them different color of shirt (not used in original dn3d): the palette data in build editor was applied to blue color ( pigclops wear blue shades), like duke sprite can easy change color for 8 man multiplayer

When I was a kid back in late 199x I even wrote 2 custom episodes in build.exe using alot of stolen textured and code from other packs

editing .con files were amazing

Only what I hate about duke3d that when you shoot - entire level up to horizont light up for your gunflash
>>
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iobNPYq8Y8s
>>
>>2807005
You wouldn't by any chance still have the EP's you made, would you? Probably not since you said 1990's, but MAYBE?......
>>
>>2807005
>>2807034
If he doesn't have it, but did release it back then and remember the name, we'd probably be able to find it here http://dukeworld.duke4.net/classic%20dukeworld/
>>
File: douk.jpg (843KB, 1543x2581px) Image search: [Google]
douk.jpg
843KB, 1543x2581px
Had this lying around if anyone is interested.
>>
>>2807043
Yeah hopefully. Can never play too much Duke.
>>
>>2807080
thanks for saving this, I did make an updated version but when I upgraded PCs I never got round to putting my old HD into this new one. If I get time I'll try and update it again.
>>
BITCHIN'
>>
>>2805075
>Flood Zone
Glad to see some love for this map. I've mostly seen people be negative about it, and I used to dislike it myself when I first played. I think it's because it's a pretty tough level that doesn't make it clear where you have to go at the start, but after playing it a lot, that's why I like it. It's a cool idea (a flooded multifloor) that's well-mapped and executed, with lots of vertical action.
>>
File: 1447834854576.jpg (495KB, 1176x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1447834854576.jpg
495KB, 1176x1000px
>>2808305
It's not one of my favorites, but there's worse maps in the game.

Occupied Territory, where you find the (first) secret exit of Lunar Apocalypse, it's actually really hard to Pistol Start, there's not too much ammo or powerful weapons lying about (which isn't a problem if you're playing progressively, like normal, you'll have a bunch from previous levels and you'll do fine, but if you Pistol Start the level, I found it to be a real bitch). There's WAY too many exploding drones on that map too. There also isn't too much health.

However, what chaps my ass is the THREE fucking battlelords, which is what actually makes the aforementioned challenges a big issue. You have to fight at least ONE of them without much cover, in a straight concrete hallway, to get a keycard, and then there's two you have to fight to exit the level, or you can go to Spin Cycle through the secret exit, where there's more battlelords (but also a lot of guns and ammunition, and it's not so stingy with health, so it's not even close to as challenging, even though you're faced with two battlelords at once).
>>
>>2808423
I pistol start all maps, and Occupied Territory is my least favorite exactly for the reasons you said. Mostly the battlelords. I don't mind one or two if I have good weapons, but they're not much fun.
>>
Boooorn to beeee wiiiii--ii-ii-iild
>>
>opinion on Duke Nukem 3D
Really fun...wish I'd been able to play it back in the day, but being an 80's child probably helped me assimilate back into the culture when I did play it
>favourite level
Ooh...tough one. There were a lot I liked. I'd say it's a tie betwen Duke Burger and that level that takes place in the police station. Probably in the minority on those...
>favourite weapon
Devastator for sure. I could be wrong, but I think the blast radius on the shots are smaller, so using it in close quarters(not that you should) is less of a death sentence as compared to the rocket launcher. Honorable mention goes to Pipebombs.
>favourite quote
"No one steals our chicks...and lives."
>least favourite enemy
Fuck-those-sentry-drones. I can handle even the Alien knock-offs, but those damn robots are the devil.
>general
Fun all around, but fuck finding some of those secrets...
>>
File: bitchin.jpg (50KB, 344x400px) Image search: [Google]
bitchin.jpg
50KB, 344x400px
>>2808286
>>
>>2805873
What bug?
>>
>>2805873
>Caribbean had a fatal map-design bug in the very first goddamn level
Never came across it.

Caribbean has WAY better levels and theme than D.C, which has levels ranging between boring and 'alright'.

Caribbean has a refreshing and fun theme, as well as a delightful graphical dressup that really gives the game a great feeling. Not to talk about the amazing
>>
>>2809429
fucking posting prompt

*as well as a delightful and cheerful soundtrack.

D.C has maybe one or two new tracks, and the levels just aren't very fun mostly. It has basically no new content beyond the levels, which would have been fine if it was a good levelset, but it just isn't that great.

Caribbean has a great levelset AND novelty.
>>
>>2805014
I love any game with the level of interactivity in its levels like Duke 3D had.
>>
Nobody messes with my meat!
>>
>>2807314
Thanks for AMC TC, it's pretty great.
>>
>least favorite enemy

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Fat commandos are annoying too. Anything explosive that hides around corners pisses me off

>had my cell phone text tone set as the sentinel pre-explosion beeps
>heart started racing every time I got a text
>>
>>2809354
>>2805873
I'd like to know as well.

>>2809435
DC has new textures.
I like DC. It's nowhere near as good as Caribbean or the original game, but it has some awesome environments (like, really, and I'm not even American) and a few levels come close to the quality of the original game.
The only level which I feel isn't really good in DC is the subway level. It feels unfinished, very rough on the edges (and you can actually be stuck at the end of the level if you play in COOP and maybe even DM), it's the only level which doesn't use any of the new textures the episode offer; and the theme itself was being done a hundred times in usermaps at the time, in a similar way. Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if that level was actually a usermap of one of Sunstorm's mappers dating back from before they started the episode, which they decided to include. I asked a former member of Sunstorm about that and he said he didn't remember.

Fuck, sunday morning? I think I'm going to replay it now. Skill 3, pistol start. I've done that plenty of times though, maybe skill 4 then.
>>
I only played it and made maps for it before Eduke32.
When they made Eduke32 and I was still making the classic maps they all said "are you going for a retro look?" like it was a different game. So I just moved onto HL mapping after that.

My favorite mods were;
S.o.t.a
Platoon mod
MIB mod
And crossover mods with Shadow Warrior, Blood and Dark Forces.
>>
>>2810948
Also the Alien vs Predator themed mods
>>
>>2810948
Yes there was a huge trend in usermaps that started in the early 00's and which only calmed down a few years ago. It was all about trying to build the most detailed maps possible, to go as far as possible from the original, as well as trying to come up with the most innovative effects while only using the original game's effects.
If you read some of .txt files coming from some of the famous maps that kind of started the trend, some of these guys thought they were "competing" with other games like Unreal and stuff which was completely stupid.
At some point it really became all about that and gameplay became secondary.

I'm not saying those were bad, it was just... something else.

Not everyone was like that though and a few years ago the trend took a 180° turn and more people started to make maps that are closer to a "classic" Duke style.

>Also the Alien vs Predator themed mods

have you played this one?
http://msdn.duke4.net/avp.php
>>
>>2809354
>>2809429
>>2809435

OK, on the first level of DnC, you should come across at some point, on a completely normal jog through the level, a bit of scenery fluff. It should be comprised of skyscrapers in the background (made out of actual linedefs, not billboard sprites), with maybe some tall palm trees thrown in as well (these would be billboard sprites, naturally). Now, very near the wall that _should_ keep you from jumping into and mucking about in the scenery, there is a box. I think it may have the traditional "wooden crate" texture, and perhaps some Assault Commanders sprinkled throughout the immediate area as enemies. Anyway, if you hop on the box, and then do a running jump, surprisingly enough you will land on that wall that's supposed to be keeping you in-level (bad map design; normally invisible barrier linedefs would go at the top as a "just-in-case" to cover instances exactly like the player attempting this). From there, not only can you of course see behind scenery you were never intended to reach, but said scenery is set up in such a way that once you jump down into it to explore, you are not fucking getting out without a jetpack.

Before you think that I've just got some weird thing going on against DnC, in DukeDC a similar mapping error can be found in the submarine level ("Hunt for the Dread October"? Fuck if I remember....). The on-land portion once again has a bit of scenery fluff in the form of a chainlink gate across the road into the installation. To prevent you from jumping this gate and following the road out of the level, there should (once again) be invisible barriers at the top. Instead there's fuckall and you can explore behind the scenery to your heart's content...with one important difference: when you're done having a giggle at the oversight, you're perfectly free to jump back over the gate and continue tearing shit up.

Do you guys see how one error is unacceptable whereas the other is merely sloppy work?
>>
File: capt0001.png (152KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
capt0001.png
152KB, 1024x768px
>>2811317
For the first one I'm assuming you're talking about this wall. In both cases though the "glitch" is the same, they forgot the make the walls block-able (well actually in this screenshot, the first portion of the wall is block-able but only the first).

Anyhow those are just the mappers forgetting to block a wall, which aren't even too easy to reach. They're not really "glitches", but truely, the original game has tons of worse things, and actual glitches too.
>>
>>2811317
> Anyway, if you hop on the box, and then do a running jump, surprisingly enough you will land on that wall that's supposed to be keeping you in-level (bad map design; normally invisible barrier linedefs would go at the top as a "just-in-case" to cover instances exactly like the player attempting this). From there, not only can you of course see behind scenery you were never intended to reach, but said scenery is set up in such a way that once you jump down into it to explore, you are not fucking getting out without a jetpack.

It's a slip up by the mapper, but it's a very small one, most people wouldn't even come across it.
>>
>>2811350
>>2811342

Still not acceptable. And it's on the first fucking level too. No excuse.
>>
>>2810976
I don't think I played that one.

Was there ever a terminator mod?

I still remember some of how to make maps with the build engine if that still works. Duke 3D used silent teleporters to accomplish things like floors above floors, getting underwater and elevators.
>>
>>2811423
Well, no, it's not a good thing obviously, but it's far from the worst thing.

I think that a great mapset with just one slip (a small one that a lot of us hadn't even noticed) is better than a terrible mapset (and I'm talking about Nuclear Winter, that's terrible, D.C isn't terrible)
>>
>>2811492

Nuclear Winter was never a consideration for me. The running was between DukeDC and Duke Caribbean; Caribbean lost due to map design blunders (blunders I found on my first time through, BTW).
>>
>>2811513
I've never come across that blunder.
You say that blunder tips that scale when Duke It Out In D.C has the same kind in one of it's maps?

Duke Caribbean just has a more fun mapset to me. I've never had problems with bugs
>>
>>2811527

No, the fact that DukeDC's is recoverable tips the scales.
>>
Caribbean > DC > Winter
>>
>>2805014
I find that E1 and E4 had the best levels. Both episodes felt like a story was being told as you progressed through.

E2 and E3 are still good, but they seemed more like "This is the space episode" and "this is the city episode", and didn't really have that "telling a story" vibe.
>>
>>2812434
I kind of like that with E1, and E4 kind of had it going, but it was also disjointed at times.

Also, while having some of the best maps of DN3D, E4 also had some least fun, Babeland, Impossible Mission and Duke Burger are really not very fun for me (though each had their own novelty)
>>
>>2805014
The interaction with so all the stuff in each level was besides his character what made it great for me. Until then I was only used to shoot or jump on stuff, but he brought personality into it
>>
>>2812458
I might add that now playing it again since the steam release made me appreciate the really well done level design compared to modern games, but I guess that's because of the find card and exit gameplay compared to go forward and kill everything on your way system
>>
I personally think that Come Get Some or Damn Im Good are the only acceptible skill levels. I have learnt that the best way to play retro shooters are on either their equilivent of ''Nightmare'' or "Hard''.
>>
>>2812585
I typically play Doom on UV, as I'm pretty intimately familiar with the game, but Duke has a bit more complex gameplay, and a bit of a different one, so I typically play on skill 1 or 2.
>>
File: 4you1.jpg (261KB, 1440x900px) Image search: [Google]
4you1.jpg
261KB, 1440x900px
>>2810457
cheers! hopefully you won't have to wait too long for episode 3
>>
File: 4you2.jpg (201KB, 1440x900px) Image search: [Google]
4you2.jpg
201KB, 1440x900px
>>2810680
yeah DC is enjoyable, taking a tour through a bunch of American monuments is good - I think the build engine's capability to recreate real-life places fairly accurately was underused at times. I know the roch map (no5 I think) had a mini Arc de Triomphe (I think anyway) in it
>>
File: hotroch7.jpg (18KB, 300x225px) Image search: [Google]
hotroch7.jpg
18KB, 300x225px
>>2812778
Roch 7.
>>
File: MRCK.png (2MB, 1245x780px) Image search: [Google]
MRCK.png
2MB, 1245x780px
>>2812778
Also quite a few of MRCK (aka CK3D)'s maps are based on the town of Blois, middle of France, which is his as well as my hometown.

First line, a part of the Chateau, map Happy Hangover
2nd line the town's library and the place near it, map Anarchy City 2
>>
File: mapshot.png (2MB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
mapshot.png
2MB, 1366x768px
http://msdn.duke4.net/hotbobsp4.php

If you liked the underwater base setting of SOMA, or Bioshock, you might like this usermap. Very few maps out there do this concept justice imo.
>>
File: preview2.png (352KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
preview2.png
352KB, 1366x768px
Dumpan some screens
>>
File: oceanlab5.jpg (52KB, 637x358px) Image search: [Google]
oceanlab5.jpg
52KB, 637x358px
>>
File: oceanlab3.jpg (272KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
oceanlab3.jpg
272KB, 1366x768px
>>
File: oceanlab4.jpg (316KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
oceanlab4.jpg
316KB, 1366x768px
>>
File: oceanlab6.jpg (306KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
oceanlab6.jpg
306KB, 1366x768px
>>
File: oceanlab7.jpg (264KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
oceanlab7.jpg
264KB, 1366x768px
>>
File: oceanlab8.jpg (379KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
oceanlab8.jpg
379KB, 1366x768px
>>
File: oceanlab10.jpg (328KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
oceanlab10.jpg
328KB, 1366x768px
>>
File: oceanlab11.jpg (296KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
oceanlab11.jpg
296KB, 1366x768px
Last one
>>
>>2812835
is that you Bob? (I'm pretty sure he was a channer)
>>
>>2812815
I never realized until I actually took a look at the list on MSDN but CK3D's released a HUGE amount of maps. I got to admire his dedication to the series.
>>
>>2812869

Yes, can I help you with something? For future reference I would rather not be directly identified on a public imageboard as it puts me in danger.
>>
>>2812874
>as it puts me in danger
Different guy, but why? You in witness protection or something?
>>
>>2812898

Does it usually end well for people when their personal info is shared on 4chan?
>>
>>2812903
Well, /vr/ isn't /b/ or anything, and you're really just some anon as far as almost everyone here would be concerned, but I can see why you wouldn't want to.

Why would you use your actual name and identity ANYWHERE on the net? I avoid it for this exact reason. If nobody can tell who I am by just looking at my username, then it's way safer for someone to recognize from that place on 4chan.
>>
>>2812914

I just want to share some usermaps. I didn't come here to tell anybody my life story.
>>
File: duke0264.png (247KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
duke0264.png
247KB, 1920x1080px
Well I just beat every level of Duke it out in DC on Damn I'm Good pistol, effectively killing every enemy.
By that I mean killing them and getting rid of all the corpses so they don't respawn.
Well actually I couldn't be bothered to backtrack in Smithsonian Terror and kill the few enemies I had left on the way 'cause I had already spent too much time on that map, though I had enough to do it.

It wasn't so hard really. You just have to make smart use of all the weapons at your disposal. Pack groups of corpses close to each other so that a single pipebomb gets rid of as many bodies as possible, wound your enemies so that it only requires one freezeray shot to freeze and shatter their bodies, use tripmines, flying drones explosions at your advantage, keep the shrinker for Commanders and Octobrains etc In some cases you just have to leave bodies behind at the start of the level and come back later once you've got the right weapons.

The first levels were actually the hardest due to their lack of more powerful weapons.
Anyway that was fun, I recommend it. Plus Damn I'm Good have a few more enemies than Come Get Some.

>>2811317
Funny how there actually is a graffiti sprite in that area that's not supposed to be accessible...
>>
>>2812874
>Yes, can I help you with something?

Yeah, please make that map run on vanilla ports, since EDuke32's classic renderer forgot what optimization was supposed to be about.
>>
>>2813024
>Well actually I couldn't be bothered to backtrack in Smithsonian Terror and kill the few enemies I had left on the way 'cause I had already spent too much time on that map,

Smithsonian Terror isn't nearly fun or interesting enough to be as long as it is.
>>
>>2813046

You say that, but really, I have been overall very impressed with EDuke32. There are some rendering modes where it fucks up with certain maps but it was a herculean effort to integrate every advanced BUILD feature like true stacked sectors in one place. It's a marvel imo.

I know there are some small improvements I could make, like it is possible to tag floor aligned sprites so they don't act like you're in air in Mapster32, but MSDN doesn't allow mappers sending in updates and I feel like I am so completely done with Duke at this point I don't wanna touch BUILD again.
>>
>>2813024
I do wonder if the whole 'blow up bodies so they don't come back' was an intentional part when 3DR made the game or if it was just a meta result of them not coding in contingency plans if the player happened to destroy enemies.

>>2813074
Eduke32 isn't as user-easy as Zdoom/GZdoom but it gives you a shitload more power over the whole game. From what I know decorate is pretty restrictive and you can do neat tricks with it but they're all workarounds.

They're even working on LUA support, but I don't really know how useful that will be since people who can code LUA will probably be doing indie games and shit rather than modding.
>>
>>2813083
>decorate is pretty restrictive and you can do neat tricks with it but they're all workarounds
It's a very easy coding language though, and the workarounds aren't hard to learn.

>LUA
What? For Doom? I'd be surprised if Grafh "[NO]" Zahl would take anyone's suggestion.
Also why LUA?
>>
>>2813083

If EDuke32 became a common engine for retro lookin indie games, I would be delighted. Zykov Eddy has done some cool stuff along those lines already. The Mask Reveals Disgusting Face and Yume Nikki 3D are both really well executed. "Dark Level", a Russian horror project based on EDuke32, looks very promising.
>>
>>2813087
Nah for Duke. I'm not sure why it's LUA, I'm sure they have their reasons for it. I won't be using it since I don't know LUA and I'd have to re-write about quarter of a million lines of code to utilize it.

>>2813095
Only problem is that unlike Doom you can't really sell it, you'd have to work out some kind of deal with Ken Silverman and the Eduke32 devs and 3DR as well (You COULD just use Build base and maybe work shit out with Ken but if you can do that you can probably just use Unity or something, I bet it would be easier to code sprites into that or Uengine than it would be to get a sellable copy of the build engine)

I do love Build engine though, I've been using it for about 17 years.
>>
>>2813101
>I do love Build engine though, I've been using it for about 17 years.

Same, I just love the look and feel of it. It's a pleasant challenge to make the structures you want despite its limitations, that adds impressiveness to maps that work around those limits, something you don't get from modern 3D engines you can do absolutely anything with.

John Carmack mentioned this satisfaction in an interview he once did about why he started doing mobile development. He was like, it was most fun when I was working on limited hardware because I could push it to do insane, seemingly impossible things. But these days there's essentially no limit that isn't down to the skill of the asset artists.
>>
>>2813074
What are you talking about? I just said EDuke32's classic renderer (software/8bit/whatever) became slow as molasses. I kinda wanted to try your map in XDuke or similar, faster ports but your map apparently exceeds something.
>>
>>2813115
Are you using the latest snapshots? tried switching to the 64bit version if you're on a 64bit OS?

All modern sourceports increase the map limits, pretty much every single modern map exceeds the original map limits. It looks like XDuke doesn't do that.
>>
>>2813115

It's 4x the normal sector limit for one thing. You need a source port that allows for that. The number of walls is also nuts
>>
>>2813115
What's your specs? I heard people complaining how classic renderer in EDUKE32 lagged in recent versions but that only seems to be an issue for old computer or shitty laptops.

You could always try to play that map in Megaton or Jonof but I can't guarantee you won't find glitches.

Or you can try to use an old version of EDUKE32 but I'm not sure how old you should get, maybe 2-3 years old... check under "old" here
http://dukeworld.duke4.net/eduke32/synthesis/

>>2813083
>I do wonder if the whole 'blow up bodies so they don't come back' was an intentional part when 3DR made the game or if it was just a meta result of them not coding in contingency plans if the player happened to destroy enemies.

Wasn't that the same in Doom? Pretty sure it'd be intentional
>>
>>2813173

I never got to ask you what you think of Zykov Eddy's standalone games based on EDuke32? Or Dark Level.

If you showed me Dark Level screenshots and didn't tell me it was EDuke32, I would guess it was made with Unity
>>
>>2813118
>>2813121
Welp. I guess there's nothing I can do without killing 3/4s of the map then.

>>2813173
>but that only seems to be an issue for old computer or shitty laptops.

Duh, the least they could do is make a game from 1996 run reasonably fast on older computers at lower resolutions, EDuke32 doesn't even seem to do that.

I loathe Megaton but I still have Jonof here, where believe it or not I used to play games online using some ancient matchmaker (I think it was DukesterX). I'm going to try there.

>>2813187
>Zykov Eddy

The guy's amazing.
>>
>>2813115
>>2813173
i reported your issue on eDuke32's forum

got 2 answers

>In my recent benchmarks the engine isn't CPU bound. If someone who is having slowdowns in the classic renderer, could compile and run from Visual Studio, with the performance stuff turned on, and post there results that would help people isolate the problem.

>I have two ideas about what could be causing this but there is no way for me to know because I don't have the problem.
>Compare revisions 4080 and 4253 and the ones prior to them.
>Circle one for each revision.
>Does this revision have the slowdown?
>4079: Y/N
>4080: Y/N
>4252: Y/N
>4253: Y/N

You can find those versions in the link above.
>>
File: Duke Burger.png (175KB, 1025x599px) Image search: [Google]
Duke Burger.png
175KB, 1025x599px
>>2805014
Duke Burger all day every day.

The N64 version is also bitchin for merely including it to begin with.
>>
File: 1439750817496.png (140KB, 368x368px) Image search: [Google]
1439750817496.png
140KB, 368x368px
>>2816179
>2 posts over 2 days

I love Duke but nobody really wants to talk about it for an extended amount of time on /vr/
>>
>>2817132
I'm replaying Caribbean Life episode on Damn I'm Good pistol start, which I don't think I ever did before either.

I just realized by looking it up on youtube that the entrance to the secret level was in level 2. All this time I'd always play this level by level warping to it and always thought the entrance should be in the cruiseship level.... due to how the start of the secret level looks like.

I mean how fucked up is that, in level 2 the secret entrance is a really really well secret place inside an already secret place ! (and a huge one at that).

Anyway "Damn I'm Good-pistol start-get rid of all bodies" seems a little easier in Caribbean Life than it is in Duke It Out in DC.
>>
>>2817148
Yeah the hidden exit was kinda bullshit because it was in a really inconspicuous location hidden inside another secret.

God damn I do love that add-on though.

On a marginally related noted, I wonder what happened to Deadly Kiss (the 'lost' official SW mod that got dug up and was allegedly being fixed up for an official release for SW Redux - the artist who did the backgrounds for the port even did one for the new character) it would of been interesting to check out.
>>
File: CTTEhsxUEAA4-QK.jpg:large.jpg (170KB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
CTTEhsxUEAA4-QK.jpg:large.jpg
170KB, 1024x1024px
I'm playing it on my 3DS now that they have released an unofficial port, and I'm remembering why it's my favourite FPS.
>>
>>2817349
I need to know every single step required to play Douk on my 3DS.

Mine isn't an XL, will that matter?
Will that port work with that plug in extra analog made for Monster Hunter?
>>
>>2818096
You need to set up homebrew. Visit /hbg/ on /vg/ and read the OP.
>>>/vg/123351067
>>
>>2818096
First you need an entrypoint for loading homebrew on your 3DS. If you never used homebrew and you always update the system when it asks you, your only chance is having a copy of Ocarina of Time. Having the first version of the Ironfall demo also helps.
More info:
>>>/vg/123351067
https://gbatemp.net/threads/wip-helpful-3ds-homebrew-threads-links.400950/

Once you have a way to load homebrew. you just have to download Duke Nukem 3D and copy it to your SD card from here:
https://gbatemp.net/threads/wip-duke-nukem-3d.402436/
This one includes only the shareware version with the first episode. You need to have a complete version of the game and copy the .grp file from it.

>Mine isn't an XL, will that matter?
That shouldn't matter, the real differences are between "old" 3DS and New 3DS. I use an old 3DS XL and works fine.

>Will that port work with that plug in extra analog made for Monster Hunter?
Yeah, supposedly the last version added support for that. Can't confirm if it works since I don't have it.
>>
>>2818142
>If you never used homebrew and you always update the system when it asks you, your only chance is having a copy of Ocarina of Time.
Welp.
>>
>>2818208
You don't happen to have Cubic Ninja either?
>>
>>2818289
Nope.
Mind explaining the significance these games has to this?
>>
>>2806986
That's my favorite quote too
>>
>>2818465
They are games that can be "hacked" as an entrypoint for loading homebrew, and the only ones that still work in the latest 3DS firmware. Other options are the Ironfall (first) demo, the Youtube app, the main menu itself, the internet browser... but Nintendo have been making updates for fixing them, or aren't accessible without another entrypoint.
>>
>>2811423

Shut the fuck up
>>
File: dh-poster.1.jpg (541KB, 1323x1988px) Image search: [Google]
dh-poster.1.jpg
541KB, 1323x1988px
I just realized something

When you start the game on Come Get Some (probably is the same with all other skills I haven't tried), and then use "DNSKILL5" to switch to Damn I'm Good, enemies actually won't respawn.
You will get enemies tagged skill 4 though, because in the original game and in the add-ons, there are actually quite a few enemies per level which only appear on Damn I'm Good.

Anyway for those who like a little extra challenge but hate the respawns, this is a good way to have a few more enemies per level.
>>
HAIL TO THE KING, BABY
>>
>buy Dook off GoG
>never get around to playing it because it uses Dosbox and I can't figure out how to remap
>let it sit for years, decide last night to figure out mapping and actually manage to get keys how I want them
>see thread
>learn about Eduke
It's like what's the point of even trying when other people have already fixed these things. Feels good to finally play Duke again and looking up feels so nice compared to the DOS version.

>>2822415
Sometimes we just gotta let that go anon. He ain't hurtin' no one, he don't mean no trouble.
>>
>>2822458
>never get around to playing it because it uses Dosbox
I'm running the original Atomic Edition .exe on Windows 7, you don't need to set up a Dosbox.

There's also Megaton Edition, which is kinda nice.
>>
Where is it?
>>
>>2822458
Have you been living under a rock, all the popular 2.5D FPSs have sourceports these days
Well except Blood because Atari are cunts
>>
>>2827197
And Dark Forces, fuck I always forget about Dark Forces
>>
>>2805014
I remember getting it with my 64 a ton of years ago. God damn I fucking loved the game, it blew my mind at the time. I might get around to picking up the steam version soon.
>>
>>2827286
Do it.

The 64 version had a lot of polish and some neat things to it, but it was MUCH shorter, it was censored, and it has NONE of the cool music.

First level theme:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dxt0pX7u-E8
>>
File: 1295715184909.jpg (216KB, 760x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1295715184909.jpg
216KB, 760x1024px
>>2827286
Oh yeah, besides not having all the original levels, the 64 version obviously didn't have the kickass Duke Caribbean expansion, or the 'just ok' Duke It Out In D.C expansion.

The originals didn't have some of the really cool weapons like the plasmagun.
The original shotgun I think it's cooler, because the animation frames are made from photos of an actual Winchester shotgun and looks as such, while the 64 shotgun is a typically crude 1990's pre-render of a SPAS-12 (really cool shotgun, but also quite overused)
64 had a cooler pistol (though they missed the chance to make it actually make the slide reciprocate, something which would looks really cool when people do edits of it).
Dua SMGs and Ripper Chaingun Cannon equals out.
>>
>>2827465
Heh, the only weapon I really like about N64 is the grenade launcher because of how fun it is to use, especially when you correctly aim at moving flying targets.

But even then it's a pipebomb replacement so it takes out quite of a huge trademark of DN3D there...
The same thing could be there about the shotgun and chaingun, replacing a DN3D trademark, except this time not as cool.

I kinda like the weapon that your charge up and which obliterates anything making some kind of more or big forcefield; but even then isn't that the freezer or shrinker replacement? Huh come on....

The main problem with the weapons in N64 though are that they turn Duke into a powerful, they're terribly unbalanced. Though I guess this is sort of made up by how you're crippled with N64 pad controls but still...
>>
Nobody steals out chicks, and lives!
>>
File: shake-it-baby.jpg (797KB, 1573x1400px) Image search: [Google]
shake-it-baby.jpg
797KB, 1573x1400px
shake it baby
>>
So was the Genesis port of Duke 3D authorized or not? I've seen conflicting reports of this.
>>
>>2833093
GT Interactive had some rights over the console portings of Duke3D, they just licensed them to TEC TOY. 3D Realms had nothing to do with it, but it was perfectly legal. It even uses scrapped elements from the original game, like the astronaut suit or some textures.
>>
>>2817349

Is it actually in 3D? The engine includes support for archaic VR headsets and analgyph, I don't see why it couldn't be adapted to display on the 3DS.
>>
>>2805872
eDuke32.

There is absolutely no reason to choose the steam version. At all.
>>
>>2833878
Multiplayer\coop? It's broken in eduke32 for years and it seems no one is working on fixing it.
>>
>>2834000
There's XDuke for that, although you have to give up Polymost/widescreen which is not a big issue in itself.
>>
>>2833425
Not yet, but I think the dev has plans on adding it.
>>
>>2833878
Is the steam version really that bad?
>>
>>2835760
No, it isn't bad at all.
>>
File: dukemaps.png (63KB, 874x747px) Image search: [Google]
dukemaps.png
63KB, 874x747px
okay I figure this is the right place to post this:

I was born in '92, so i was a kid watching my dad play duke online on KALI (anyone remember?)

anyway, I have saved all the old user created maps from '95-'04ish.

we're talkin:

>a dozen or so 2v2 maps,
>flzone## (many versions)
>KAZOO## (many versions)
>ROOFTOP# (~6 versions)
>janasouc

so a couple things i'm wondering....

1) are there any old school dn3d dukematch communities
2) are y'all interested in these maps? how can i upload them to share?
3) anyone used to play on Kali, remember !Accident? He was my dad
>>
>>2836831
replying to myself,

thought it would be interesting to add an explanation as to why there would be several versions of the same map:

the way kali worked, is the clients would download the map of the host. So, what started happening is that the host would add a secret to the map, name it the same thing, and that would overwrite the clients old map file.

So, people would rename the maps to preserve the versions, and my dad, on top of that, would have his own backups lol.

I love duke, big part of my childhood.
>>
>>2836835
Yeah that's how some great maps got ruined. Like Library, which I believe was made by a member of Sunstorm. The original version is one of my fav DM map, but then you have the version that comes with Megaton which completely ruined all item placement.
>>
I play through Nuclear Winter every Christmas. I can't be the only one.
>>
>>2837304
>I can't get the only one.
Yeah, there has to be other masochists out there.
>>
File: luigi.jpg (33KB, 600x337px) Image search: [Google]
luigi.jpg
33KB, 600x337px
>>2837312

I-it's not that bad... and I love Christmas stuff so
>>
>>2837315
Nuclear Winter was the only episode of Duke which I outright didn't enjoy.

It's better than DNF, but it's not good at all, the original maps are tripe. They should have just put snow in the old maps, mixed them up a bit, like the first two maps of NW, and called it a day.

It would have been cheap, but the maps would still ultimately have been good
>>
my names douk noukem
and i only pay for whores
>>
>>2805878
vita :^)
>>
>>2841823
Haven't played it, but Megaton was fine on PS3, so I figure it should be on Vita as well.

Is there a way to disable the back touch panel on a Vita? Because it seems like it would be annoying as fuck
>>
File: 1448535838405.png (180KB, 1112x1184px) Image search: [Google]
1448535838405.png
180KB, 1112x1184px
>>2820715

I played Douk for like 20 years and never knew that.

Thanks
>>
>>2805014
>/vr/'s opionion on Duke Nukem 3D.
ive played 5 fps games in my life: dn3d, shadow warrior, hl1, hl2 and cs:go. dn3d is by FAR the most addictive.
>favourite level,
the one in the police station that starts with the terminator reference
>favourite weapon,
RPG or shotgun
>Favourite quote
"Heh, what a mess!"
>or least favourite enemy.
the flying robot kamikaze things and the green slimes
>Or just anything in general about the game and it's expansions.
i didnt even know the 4th chapter was an expansion as i played the megaton edition on steam. in retrospect i see how the cycloid emperor is more fitting as a final boss though, especially the arena u fight him in. also, is there any modern fps that has you explore the maps and find secrets and other paths like in dn3d and other games of its time, but without resorting to key cards?
>>
>>2842023
Don't touch it.
>>
>>2842660
So you can't turn it off eh?

It kind of restricts how you can grip your system, I like to change my grip sometimes, and it'd be really annoying if that gave a game a bunch of input I don't mean to give it.
>>
>>2813024

>Funny how there actually is a graffiti sprite in that area that's not supposed to be accessible...

Sorry for the extremely late reply, but that's no argument that the area really was supposed to be accessible. Take the time to look at the other areas in the other levels that are supposed to be scenery porn or otherwise off-limits; you'll almost always find something there (graffiti, dancing babe, strobe lights, etc) that the mappers were just fucking around with and hid out-of-sight when they finished the level. Even in the original game it's common practice (LevelLord anyone?).
>>
Are there any good god tier map packs or single maps? I've enjoyed the fuck out of It Lives but there's like a shit ton of maps to get. Also, Duke Plus is outdated as hell, is there any other good enhancement mod?
>>
>>2842709
You have to tap it. It doesn't activate by just putting your finger on.

This is why the Borderlands port was so fucking terrible.
>>
>>2842894

Take a look at this image:
>>2807080

Then head to MSDN (just google Duke4 MSDN)

good map packs to check out are the Red series, The Final confrontation, Daikarain, and a new map pack called Tamduke set in Tampere in Finland was just released.
>>
>>2843370
There's also a ton of good TCs, I'd check them out as well. The Gate is amazing, Murder: The EDF conspiracy has dated a little bit but is still fun to go through. DNF 2013 is fantastic and is a must play.
>>
>>2842726
>but that's no argument that the area really was supposed to be accessible.

Yeah I know about that. messages like "How did you get here?" "you're not supposed to be here". My fav one is in Caribbean Life, with a hard to find secret place with great rewards in it it says something like "You probably cheated anyway" (and the first time I found it, I did...).
This trope even carried on to some usermaps. The Roch series is known for it, for instance.

>>2843370
>Daikarin

Daikarin's pretty underrated imo.

>>2842894
>is there any other good enhancement mod

I don't use those but there is Attrition, by the maker of Dukeplus. You can also tried Nuclear Showdown, I remember enjoying that, although I'm not sure it's fully compatible with usermaps besides the ones it come with.
>>
Is EDuke compatible with gamepads?
>>
File: Capture.png (50KB, 507x496px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
50KB, 507x496px
>>2836831
>>2836831

I played on Kali, I don't remember anyone's name though.
I do remember I played with a girl, I was 14 and she was I think 13 at the time and she asked me to join her Sailor Moon clan. Never saw anyone else, I guess recruiting other people didn't work out so well. I dunno, I played one on one with her quite a bit. She was decent enough for the time, she was using mouse and I was keyboard only at the time though. I didn't start using mouse until Q2.
I did the cases ladder thing for a bit. I don't even really quite remember what I used as a name. I've been through more or less a dozen different names at the time.

But Kali had the singular best tcp game browser when they finally added that. But the rooms and downloading maps were cool. I've never come across the host modifying rooms with secrets and shit though, just different versions of similar map kind of like how there's a billion variations of 2forts in every single CTF game alive. I still have the thing installed, but it's had some broken functionality for years. I didn't save all the maps, but I ganked an FTP site with some though. I also have a CD with 50 user levels that came with a level editor handbook I bought, which
>>
n64 version was terrible for nothing but one reason: the controller.

Amazing game to play on PC though. Duke Nukem games were always ahead of their time for one reason: the content. Shake it baby!
>>
>>2845375
Good thing that version was ported to PC then.
>>
>>2805014
>level
don't remember anymore

>weapon
pistol and pipe bombs

>quote
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JC9siFOXw4

>least favourite enemy
fucking pig cops and their fucking aimbot skills

>misc
I cannot be the only one autist in the planet who played Duke Nukem 3D with Miku Hatsune music in the background. Holy molly I will try doing this again with the x-mas pack on christmass.
>>
So the guys who made the RoTT remake are making a new Duke game.

Do you think it's gonna be good?
>>
>>2850207
>So the guys who made the RoTT remake are making a new Duke game.
Source?
I thought it got canceled and they made Triad instead
>>
>>2850216
Wait, I'm a retard and was given a dated article.
NVM me.
>>
I just found the Saturn version.

Great port once you get over the control hurdle.
>>
>>2837315
Peepee in the shoey.
>>
>>2850207
You're going to be able to judge for yourself.

Their next Bombshell game pretty much is that game with Duke replaced by Bombshell; a character which used to be an idea character for Duke Nukem games.
In that game they changed EDF (Earth Defense Force) to GDF (Global Defense Force). That's how far they went.

Same people who wanted to make a remake of DN3D in unreal tech; I'm glad that never come out because it looked terrible and gameplay in their ROTT game was glitched, broken and unfinished (despite the game having tons of good ideas)
>>
>>2851538
And by dragging their feet they all but guaranteed that we will NEVER get the Duke 3D alphas and betas.
>>
>>2805014
>favourite quotes

"Sharing is caring!"
"Turn that forwn upside down!"
"It's time to kick ass and eat granola! luckily for you, I've got plenty of granola!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YGu4zQgTvg
>>
Is the music in this game any good, like Doom? Or should I play with my own tunes?
Am currently on shadow warrior, and the music is practically non-existent, so I'm wondering if Duke is like that as well.
>>
>>2852313
>Or should I play with my own tunes?

Fuck no. For starters, half of the soundtrack is done by Bobby Prince so there's no excuses. But if you take my advice Lee Jackson's tracks are far better.

Just be sure to get a competent MIDI device or download the SC-88 soundtrack.
>>
How do I git gud at Dukematch?
The last time I played it at a Stadium FFA (during a LAN party) I got completely rekt. Is flying viable or a waste of time? Should I prioritize hitscan weapons?
>>
>>2852861
Autoaim hits in the air as well.

>Should I prioritize hitscan weapons?
Absofuckinglutely. If you're using eduke or something, use the autoaim for just hitscan, it's not perfect but the mouse precision isn't very accurate in build. At distance the ripper is basically king and pistol will follow that up, up close the shotgun is wrecks pretty good. Though if you're good at aiming and don't have autoaim for rockets, that can work if they're near ground/wall. If they're in the air, unless you're really really good at aiming, it's gonna be mostly useless. Flying can help depending on the context, it can make you harder to see and you can shoot above the players vision assuming they don't have some cheats that fullbright your shit or NV goggles which will light you up. Devastator is harder to dodge than the RPG for a lot of people, so if you do flying, light them up and remember to lead appropriately. But use the RPG if you want, just be careful how you use it - if you're both ground level, try hopping more than not so you get a better angle at the ground where they're running. If they start dodging it, stop shooting only when you hop, people will potentially see that pattern and switch directions. Always keep picking up armor and health as much as possible while maintaining your ammo - important in any game really but people can often forget to pick up life while they're distacted by losing it in FPS games, pick that shit up, if you aren't learn to do it, if you don't know where it is, learn where it is. Always play your tactics to the level, not to your preferences. For example, stadium? Fuck using the shrink ray or the ice ray. Can you get kills, sure but it's slow and a pain in the ass, you're better off doing straight up damage with something that'll hit quickly and from distance. Gank the steroids and USE them, the faster you move the harder it is track you. Lastly, watch other players and steal the shit out of their tactics that work.
>>
>>2853112
Also, I should add, pay attention to what items they're going for and if you're using an RPG, aim at the item timed for when they're grabbing it.
>>
>>2852331
Yeah, I dunno I'm not really into dad rock
>>
>>2853126
this fucking post holy shit
>>
>>2851538
It doesn't look like Duke at all though, more like Lara Croft GoL.
>>
>>2852331
Oh, that's nice.
What's the deal with Shadow warrior then? I expected some balls-to-the wall tunes, and got... nothing.
>>
>>2851561
The owner of 3DR Fred Scheiber tried to blame a 12-year old autistic kid for the lack of beta releases, the guy is a fucking manchild and I'm glad they can't touch Duke anymore.
>>
>>2853719
Do you literally mean you got nothing, or you just don't like the tracks?

SW's soundtrack for the full release is all CD music, so if you literally get nothing than that's why. The steam release has the soundtrack with it (The demo version had midi music though)

I thought it's soundtrack was pretty good, it's too bad they couldn't make a unique track for each level like in Duke but what we got was good.
>>
>>2851538
It'll be interesting to see how the BUILD prequel turns out. I don't care about the main game itself, I hope I can buy the prequel seperately.
>>
>>2853770
It's very minimal, just whooshing and ambient noises, no melody. I have the steam release.
>>
>>2853791
Ah fair enough, yeah the soundtrack is a lot more ambient in nature than Dukes. I can see why you dislike it, I do really like it myself but apart from the theme tune and the boss theme it doesn't really have any melodies or especially memorable bits.
>>
>>2853647
Would you rather have rule 63 Duke?
>>
>>2854970
Is that supposed to be like this?
>>
File: duke girl.png (2MB, 1400x1000px) Image search: [Google]
duke girl.png
2MB, 1400x1000px
>>2855409
Derp.
>>
>>2844438
anyone?
>>
>>2858389
I actually gave it a try when you asked.

It should be; but for some reasons I couldn't figure out how to get it to work with mine.
>>
>>2858391
Does it work on a mode or can I use a mouse at the same time?
>>
Why do people dislike Lunar Apocalypse so much? The way it begins is pretty cool, with that shot of space and rockets flying at you if you stand too close, and later the levels have some fun gimmicks like those space elevators between platforms.

I guess the amount of chaingunners and suicide robot heads is somewhat overwhelming at times, but it doesn't seem like a bad levelset, yet everyone I know shits on it, with favourite standings being something like L.A Meltdown > The Birth > Shrapnel City > Lunar Apocalypse.

Also, does anyone have that masterpost with good Duke mods? I'm tempted to try out Duke Hard.
>>
I remember playing in PS1 version when i was a kid and there was an incredibly spooky and atmospheric hotel level with multiple classic horror throwbacks like redrum.
It it on pc or it was console version exclusive?
>>
>>2858407

it's here:
>>2807080
>>
>>2858418
Wasn't that Blood?
>>
>>2858418
>>2858494
There is a famous DN3D usermap inspired by The Shining so maybe that's that; but it's on PC.
>>
>>2858494
>>2858502
Ah, found it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1o5dAIA5vXY
>>
File: duke0000.jpg (175KB, 800x500px) Image search: [Google]
duke0000.jpg
175KB, 800x500px
and this was supposed to be a joke
>>
>>2853791

That's not the Shadow Warrior I know; the first level should have a very memorable jaunty Asian tune. Perhaps your copy has something wrong with it? It was a mixed-mode CD originally....

>>2853842

I loved the SW soundtrack more than Duke3D or Blood, although the people who aren't using the GUS version of Blood's soundtrack really aren't getting the full-monty experience.
>>
File: hotflaming2.jpg (73KB, 800x640px) Image search: [Google]
hotflaming2.jpg
73KB, 800x640px
You know when you play maps that have so much detail and care put into it that impress you more than anything coming out this gen?
>>
File: 2015-06-15_00005.jpg (259KB, 1680x1050px) Image search: [Google]
2015-06-15_00005.jpg
259KB, 1680x1050px
>>2860204
Yeah I know what you mean, personally I like MRCK's maps the most because of that, it has plenty of amazing realistic and often funny details. Like, hanging on a wall, a band poster made out of a hundred sprites for instance that some players will not even stop to look at.

As far as DN3D is concerned though I think there has to be a balance between detailing and gameplay for it to feel right. Too much details can hinder gameplay a lot, in many many ways. Though Flaming Shipwreck, the map you posted a screenshot of, is close to that balance I have in mind.

This being said, some modern FPS have tons of details too. I was impressed at times when playing the new Shadow Warrior or Wolfenstein games.

>>2860167
Fun mod.
>>
>there has yet to be a mapset built from Duke Caribbean
It's 2015!
>>
>>2861851
Make it yourself.
>>
I can't seem to get eduke32 working. Whole thing crashes as soon as I try and load up a game. Is it a driver problem?
>>
>>2861894
I-I'm not good at making maps that are interesting or fun to play ;_;
>>
you think Duke could ever have a comeback?

I mean as long as gearbox has the rights to him, it's doubtful, and He just isnt cut out for today's world, but I like to think there is still a place for him

id just hate to see his last game be the horrible DNF
>>
>>2863467
I think Duke could, hell, there's way you could do things in a modern way while still making it good.

While I prefer healthkits, regen health can be done in an ok way if you do it in increments.
In Far Cry 3, or that Riddick game who's name I forgot, you have regen health, BUT, it's in increments, blocks.
You start out with one block, but as you progress in the game, you get more (however I don't think this would be a necessity for a Duke game).
The thing is, while a block will regenerate if damaged, it will not heal if emptied, unless you take action to heal it.

This is if you absolutely HAVE to use regen health, and this is the only way you can do regen health in a way that's actually good, incremental.

Also, there's absolutely no reason for Duke to ever be able to carry less than four weapons ever, even then he should be able to carry six, with the pipebombs and pistol not taking up slots by themselves.

Ideally he should be able to carry everything, gamepads these days still have D-pads, that's like 8 selections there, even so you'd be able to cram in more weapons in there.
Items can be used with the D-pad too, just hold down a button and select them, release the button and the item goes into effect.

(this is about how Gearbox said that DNF had to have two weapon limit because "DURR consoles can't do better", which is a blatant lie, the PS3 port of HL2 was abysmal yet it didn't have that problem, all the weapons were there and you could carry them all)
>>
>>2805872
Duke3dw
>>
>>2863963
not to mention, some games use the weapon wheel method too
>>
>>2863467
He could but most modern devs have terrible ideas for him. There were a couple of articles on the internet interviewing plenty of devs and asking them what their idea would be if they had to make a new Duke game, and most of all was absolutely disgusting (from anti-sexist "let's not hurt anyone feelings", to turning Duke into a woman, etc)

I think the only way to do it right nowadays is the "not giving a fuck" attitude in the same way DN3D did, which is asking too much nowadays, or picturing Duke as an old outdated icon of another time who hasn't changed (which ONE dev in those articles thought of) and feels out of place.

I had a plot idea for a Duke Nukem comic book. taking place after DNF, Duke is an outdated star on the decline when he finds out he has a teenage son born from a hooker, and brought up as the only boy in a brothel.
He finds a new goal in life by teaching that son how to be a Man and ensure his replacement, all while having to thwart alien deeds, both on Earth and outerspace.
>>
Can we all agree that Gearbox should burn for not giving Duke Nukem back to 3DR after they were done with DNF?

They wont even let 3DR release D3D prototypes because "Duke Nukem is ours now, go away"
>>
>>2864375
B-but what if they want to monetize old, unfinished games 5 years from now that will only be purchased by a small group of diehard fans of gaming history? I mean they could surely make a few hundred bucks from that!

>>2864372
Yeah, the only Duke we'd have a chance of getting would be some terrible schlock where Duke has to atone for his past "sins" because the developers are embarrassed by him.
>>
>>2864375
Pitchford seems to be the kind of guy who loves inserting himself into successful stuff and then claim it's his doing all along.

When he won the last trial against 3DR and went away with the entire Duke franchise, he dared to wish good luck to 3DR with their Bombshell game and claimed he'd love to play it because he was there when Bombshell was first born in 3DR offices. As in, trying to say it's partly thanks to him if "Bombshell" even exists.
Turns out the first Bombshell character concepts date from 2 or 3 years before he joined 3DR.
>>
Do recordings of Duke's lines from the original in high quality exist?
>>
>>2863467
Randy Pitchfork said Duke franchise wasn't bought just to release DNF but to also continue the series. In his words Duke is "bigger" than anything Gearbox has ever created including Borderlands, and that the character must continue to live.

There were also news of Gearbox wanting to work with a 3rd party dev for the next Duke game. Not sure where that went.
>>
>>2864647
DNF was always gonna be a mess, it took too long, there was no way it wouldn't end up badly.
Gearbox probably just tried to patch up what they bought (though badly).

Randy is a cunt, but I think he understands the value and appeal of Duke Nukem
>>
Honestly, it'd just have been better if 3DRealms had just continued making episodes for Duke Nukem 3D than what Duke Nukem Forever turned into.
>>
>>2864715
It's this interview where Randy tells what future Duke needs to be in his eyes. The part starts around 33:42 point. Before that he talks about DNF and acquiring the brand. The interview was made this summer.

http://xbox360movies.ign.com/xbox360/audio/article/122/1225997/Podcast%20Unlocked%20Episode%2070.mp3
>>
>>2864715
> there was no way it wouldn't end up badly.
Ironically it was still better than nearly every other FPS released in the last ten years, so that's something.
>>
>>2865105
>Ironically it was still better than nearly every other FPS released in the last ten years
That's BLATANTLY fucking false.

Between the start of it's development and it's final release, we have lots of entries from:
>Half-Life series
>Systemshock
>Bioshock series
>Far Cry series
>Rainbow Six series
>Battlefield series
>Thief Series
>Timesplitters series
>Wolfenstein series
>Serious Sam series
>Turok series
>S.T.A.L.K.E.R series
>Quake series
>Unreal Tournament series
>SWAT series
Not to mention Painkiller and Prey, games which weren't part of a series.

Duke Nukem Forever was ABYSMAL game and I've never played an FPS that was as frustrating and anti-fun as that. There were dozens of amazing FPS games before and since. Are those series I mentioned flawless? Are all entries great or interesting?
No, but don't you EVER dare call DNF a good FPS, and say most else is shit, because you're a filthy fucking liar.
>>
>>2865162
Nigga u just refer to Thief as FPS?
>>
>>2865164
>first person sneaker

don't see the problem here chief
>>
>>2865236
>sneaker
top kick
>>
>>2863467

Only Devolver Digital could hope to make a good Duke game these days. PC first, port later.
>>
>>2865332
Devolver Digital is a publisher.
Maybe you mean Flying Wild Hog studios? The ones that rebooted Shadow Warrior?
>>
>>2865932

No, I mean Devolver Digital. The dev doesn't matter, it's DD's overseeing and knowing what to do with a game that make their games good.
>>
>>2866484
>tfw Atari are gigajews and demands an exorbitant sum for the source code and rights
>tfw no Megaton tier port of Blood on modern systems from Devolver
So that's pretty fucked for the time being, but what are the chances of Devolver porting Powerslave to modern systems?
>>
>>2866523

The chances are Slim (what if you win? wouldn't it be weird?-- Why, so guys can lie just to get me there? So you can, sit me here next to Britney Spears? Christina Aguilera better switch me chairs, so I can sit next to Carson Daily and Fred Durst, and hear 'em argue over who she gave head to first. Little bitch-- put me full blast on MTV-- yeah he's cute, but I think he's married to Kim, hehe!)
>>
>>2864938
that was pretty interesting.

good to see he gets Duke.

that it isnt just about being a joke character that spews one liners. 9although that is part of him) interesting when he mentions that to some, Duke was a Role Model, and that 3D celebrated his excessive machismo and reveled in it, not make it the joke like DNF did
>>
>>2865332
Unfortunately, gearbox owns the rights to "new" Duke games i believe.

Also, I love Devolver, but I think those guys just give the budget their games deserve. i dont think Fork Parker is there saying "add more naked harpie ladies" during development.
>>
>>2866653
> i dont think Fork Parker is there saying "add more naked harpie ladies" during development.
You don't know that, you don't know Fork Parker, he could be a great bro who really cares about the titties and their quality in his games, as well as overrall quality.
>>
How do I play online multiplayer in this game?
>>
>>2867378
Megaton or xduke.
>>
>>2867975
I like Megaton, but didn't it have poor multiplayer support? Or was that just consoles.
>>
>>2866653

>Also, I love Devolver, but I think those guys just give the budget their games deserve. i dont think Fork Parker is there saying "add more naked harpie ladies" during development.

If we can blame publishers like EA and Ubisoft when AAA games suck, I think it's fair to assume that DD has some input in the games they publish and can take credit for making them not suck
>>
Someone asked about multiplayer in Shadow Warrior Redux in the thread a while ago and I can't find the post right now.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/225160/discussions/0/485624149167527252/
>>
>>2805872
Either or, honestly.
Owning both, I can say the gameplay is still there regardless of which you choose.
I like the interfaces of eDuke32 better, but the Megaton is baby-mode simple.
>>
>>2867975
What does xduke do that eduke32 doesn't? Other than maybe double kick? Which is retarded that they took out.
>>
>>2866523
Powerslave is already being ported by the lads the ported system shock and turok
>>
>>2869902
>ported system shock

Why couldn't they add invert mouse in that game? So much hate.

Oh there's a download of PowerslaveEX beta floating around if you want to check out how it works on PC and what you might expect when it officially releases.
>>
>>2805014

> Fav level

Has to be either Dark Side, Flood Zone, or L.A Rumble.

> Fav weapon

Devastator has always been a favourite.

> Fav quote

"Blow it out your ass!"

> Least fav enemy

It's kinda my favourite and least favourite at the same time: Sentry drones. They creep me the fuck out with that unsettling hovering sound floating around the map, suddenly sliding out of a corner and into your face. They can be annoying, but for the most part, I'm too panicky to realize.
>>
>>2812774

I want to play this right now. What is it?
>>
>>2869883
XDuke's online is just much more stable than EDuke32's, which is much more likely to desynch during a match. The only real difference is the rendering and the lack of teammatches/support for expanded maps.

The double kick was a "feature" from the 1.3D version of the game, since it has been "removed" since 1.4, and all source ports are built upon 1.5, that means no source port supports the double kick.
>>
>>2871370
a dev shot of AMC TC ep3, I posted for that anon since he liked the other episodes. It won't be out for a long time but you can download AMC TC EP1&2 here:

http://www.moddb.com/games/the-amc-tc

you don't need Duke to play it.
>>
Do any of you play to try and beat your time?
I've never played Duke or Doom that way, but I know there are "par times" and "developer times" you can try beating. I've always just tried to play episodes to the end, without playing the same levels again. However, that means I don't really get to know the levels all that well.
Perhaps this way of playing gives a different, more fun experience. So, what I'm asking is, is playing for time fun for you?
>>
>>2871384
I was wondering what happened to Douk's bicycle kick. I remember I was able to do that back when I first played the game.
>>
>>2871456
That was patched pretty early on.

Though I kind of feel like Duke ought to be able to do it with the jetpack.

Can you imagine Duke rocketting in and using the momentum and both his boots to stomp some motherfucker in the face sideways?
>>
>>2871530
*powerstomp
>>
File: Duke Nukem1.jpg (588KB, 1600x1236px) Image search: [Google]
Duke Nukem1.jpg
588KB, 1600x1236px
Have a random video I uploaded of DN3D.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oO4uJtodahM

Considering playing through that Duke Nukem Forever mod that's based off of the old trailers at a later date.
>>
>>2864391
I wouldn't hold out hope for them.
>>
>eDuke32 is the definite way of playing Duke Nukem
>the renderer causes random 12 second freezes all the fucking time

Am I retarded or what?
>>
Alright game, but sucks compared to Quake and DOOM. Too many hitscan enemies. So it's pretty much take cover, pop out and shoot. Take guaranteed damage and rely on the health packs. DOOM and Quake are about movement and evasion. Only low level enemies in those games are hitscan
>>
>>2873454
Shambler is pretty much hitscan incarnate.
>>
>>2873472

Atleast he has a charge animation before he shoots lightning so you know you should get out from his line of sight
>>
>>2850403

Feels weird on account of being based on a totally different engine.
>>
File: thanks.png (27KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
thanks.png
27KB, 1024x768px
Finally done on Come Get Some.

DN3D seems harder to me than Doom, overall, I got wrecked on Occupied Territory and Duke-Burger.

I've had a shitload of bugs though, like after beating a map the episode would just cease playing and I had to DNSCOTTY my way to the next one. I got quite a bit of pistol starts due to that.

The Queen is a really fun boss though, can't just circle-strafe and Devastate.
>>
>>2873450
maybe your PC is broken
>>
File: duke3d.jpg (21KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
duke3d.jpg
21KB, 480x360px
>>2873454
Duke is much more fun than Quake. You can't interact with anything in the quake world unless it has a flashing sign on it. You can't break it or kick it or blow it up. Just the illusion of a setting.
>>
>>2873918
>unless it has a flashing sign on it.
Not really, aside from buttons the only things you interact with are hidden walls and elevators really and most of them require shooting to activate.

Though your commentary on 'you can't break it or blow it up' is kind of retarded because really there isn't anything in quake to break or blow up beyond the rare crate perhaps. Otherwise everything in the game is part of the level, a pickup or an enemy. If you want to make an argument that it's less interactive than Duke, sure go ahead but don't pretend that it's some sort of static level design that fucks with you and is illusory. It's not, it's just empty and minimalistic all around. There are no pool tables or other novelty gizmos to taunt you, it doesn't even try to taunt you with shit.
I disagree that duke is more fun. It's different. Quake's multiplayer also shines more than anything else.
>>
>>2865105
>it was still better than nearly every other FPS released in the last ten years

But DNF was a generic linear shooter, and a bad one at that. Thats like saying COD Ghosts was better than nearly every other multiplayer FPS in the last ten years.
>>
Brutal Douk when
>>
>>2874493
>But DNF was a generic linear shooter, and a bad one at that.
And how, it was the worst high profile shooter in years.

It's like they took away almost all the great things from DN3D in an attempt to make it modern, which then resulted in a game that was really bad by both modern AND old standards.

I had more fun with Operation Bodycount and Corridor 7, and those were painfully mediocre games for their day.
>>
>>2874581
Duke is already Brutal.
>>
Is there a way to remove your best time for a level?
I got one very low, but I started with weapons and shit like a jetpack from an earlier level, and now I want to try to beat the level from pistol start (that's the way you're intended to beat dev times?)
>>
>>2873687
>I've had a shitload of bugs though

I take it you've been using Megaton?

>>2874698
I know the 2 developers times are all in the file "user.con" (which you can extract with programs like grpviewer and then edit with notepade) but I actually don't know about user time...
>>
>>2874753
>I take it you've been using Megaton?
No, eDuke32.
Random freezes throughout the game at times until I left the renderer setting at Software, which sometimes led to my death, the game sometimes would end on a certain map and force me to DNSCOTTY to the next one, completely unfaciliated squishes and areas that were meant to get into by crouching but I couldn't without some meandering around and jumping (like the secret freezethrower in Duke-Burger).

Wasn't as intrusive as I'm describing it, but still.
>>
>>2874605
It was actually pretty fucking good by modern standards. And pretty bad but not the worst by old standards.
>>
>>2874890
>Duke Nukem Forever
>good by modern standards
No, no it was not. Why do you think people offloaded it en masse after they were done with it? Nobody wanted that shit again, DNF is cheaper than last years sports titles.
My copy wasn't even 10 dollars. I have never been so consistently enraged at a videogame before, never have I played a game that was so NOT fun.

It was a fucking terrible game, unless you desperately wanted it to be good and couldn't come to terms with it not being good, I can't see how you can even defend it.

The levels are dogshit, the weapons are dogshit, the enemies are dogshit, the gameplay is dogshit, everything was bad.

Rage was a flawed game but it was a million times better than DNF.
>>
>>2874890
>It was actually pretty fucking good by modern standards

You haven't played many modern shooters, have you?
>>
>>2875572
I played it for like 2-3 hours and it was worth the $1 I payed at gamestop. There was no way I was going to spend 15 hours beating it, but I got $1 of entertainment easily.
>>
>>2805014
I used to masturbate to the strippers in the PS1 Duke that played like Tomb Raider.
>>
File: 1440640710603.jpg (23KB, 336x254px) Image search: [Google]
1440640710603.jpg
23KB, 336x254px
>>2874890
>good by modern standards
>Duke Nukem Forever
It was probably the worst shooter of the year.
>>
File: 1216325056342.jpg (316KB, 922x2259px) Image search: [Google]
1216325056342.jpg
316KB, 922x2259px
>>2805014

Duke Caribbean is my favorite Expansion.

Shotgun is my favorite weapon.

Least favorite enemy are sentries hands down.

Favorite level is probably Hollywood Holocaust, as unoriginal as that is.

"borrrn to be wiiiiild"

Duke it out in D.C. was neat but felt kind of lacking especially Smithsonian Terror where I got turned around far too much and was there forever.
>>
>>2876024
Duke it out in DC was at least a competent expansion though.

Nuclear Winter felt like it belonged in Duke!ZONE
>>
>>2876064

Never tried Nuclear Winter because I saw some game play from LGR and it didn't seem too great just from the looks of it. Some very blah map design.
>>
File: merry-xmas-you-filthy-animal.jpg (9KB, 396x253px) Image search: [Google]
merry-xmas-you-filthy-animal.jpg
9KB, 396x253px
>>2876024
>Smithsonian Terror
That's one of those levels that you either love or you hate.

In one way, it's neat, because it's the Smithsonian turned into a shooter level.
But in another, it's kind of awful, because it's the Smithsonian turned into a shooter level.

Personally, I think it's just WAY too big and long, it really drags on for too much, also, in Megaton Edition (where I played it), it's pretty hard to find the switches in the shark tanks, they're hard to see.

>>2876064
Oh, well, yeah, it's not BAD by any means, but all the original episodes are better, and Caribbean is WAY better.

>>2876085
First two levels are reskinned retoolings of the first two levels of L.A Meltdown. This is as bad as it sounds and it's the highlight of Nuclear Winter. The quality RAPIDLY drops as soon as you hit the third level.
>>
>>2805447

I honestly hated Duke it out in D.C more than Nuclear Winter. Mainly because the levels are so god damn big
>>
>>2876174
DC was dragged out, but I seriously disliked Nuclear Winter more, it was like DNF, every enemy encounter was an exercise in extreme frustration.

While in regular Duke or Caribbean, the battles are fun and exciting, in Nuclear Winter and Forever, every fight feels like ASFAGASDASDASDASD FUCKING SHIT HERE WE GO AGAIN THIS IS GOING TO BE SO NOT-FUN!
>>
>>2805014
Opinion? Eh, it's okay, I guess. Shadow Warrior and Powerslave are all around better as build games, Redneck Rampage is funnier and more inventive, Quake fucking destroys this game mechanics-wise, both Rise of the Triad and Doom 1 have better soundtracks.

Jetpack (which have already been featured in Heretic and HeXen) breaks exploration on levels and breaks some levels period, explosives are only needed on the highest difficulty (to gib the corpses) and to open secrets (which was accomplished via switches in doom anyway), not to mention that partly destructible levels have already been featured in Dark Forces 1, shrinker is fucking broken, also whoever thought having limitless drinking fountains every 5 steps was a good idea, was retarded.

Still, purely from the surface-level standpoint, as a joke on Doom, I guess, it's alright. I mean, they completely fucking missed the point of Doom (as that Brutal Doom retard did) but, I mean, whatever, for the time of its release, as a one-trick pony, this game was kind of cool.

Also, I fucking love Dark Side of the Moon (the level, that is).
>>
>>2876291
Also, pseudo-realistic partly-destructible environments have already been featured in System Shock 1.5 years prior to Duke, so, again, no dice.
>>
>>2876129
Those buttons in the fishtanks are hard to spot no matter how you play the game.

Hidden switches are the worst, meanest ways to add "artificial length", and hiding switches in a level as big as that one, is really really mean.

I still love the map personally though.

>>2876291
>also whoever thought having limitless drinking fountains every 5 steps was a good idea, was retard

I'm pretty sure the drawback is supposed to be how long and boring it is to drink water to regain health; and it makes the player feel lame especially if he's drinking toilet water.

I love the PC Powerslave and I also love Redneck Rampage Rides Again In Arkansas and Route 66 as well; but saying they're better than DN3D? I don't know. Gameplay is much better in Duke imo. RR and Powerslave (especially the later) have very limited gameplay as far as gun fights are concerned.
>>
>>2876291
Ok, so why are we talking about Duke not being the first in things? Where did this argument come from?

>Jetpack (which have already been featured in Heretic and HeXen) breaks exploration on levels and breaks some levels period
Which ones? I can't think of any time where you would have a Jetpack and it would break a level.

>explosives are only needed on the highest difficulty (to gib the corpses)
They're great for dealing with groups and stronger enemies.
I mean, you can take a Battlelord with the shotgun, but the RPG is just so much better suited.

>and to open secrets (which was accomplished via switches in doom anyway)
Duke has switches too. Hidden ones even.

>not to mention that partly destructible levels have already been featured in Dark Forces 1
Ok? Does this somehow detract from it being a fun game?

>shrinker is fucking broken
That's what makes it a fun weapon though. The fact that a fatty commander can be zapped and squashed in one fell swoop is fucking hilarious. Besides, bosses and some enemies (Protector Drones) are immune to it.

>also whoever thought having limitless drinking fountains every 5 steps was a good idea, was retarded.
Those are really not everywhere, also, their use is limited.
You can break a fire hydrant or a urinal to drink the spraying water for health, but this is very slow at 1 hp a second.

I can only remember the actual drinking fountains in Lunar Apocalypse, and they weren't really everywhere.
>>
>>2806358

10/10 downloading now
>>
>>2876356
>Which ones? I can't think of any time where you would have a Jetpack and it would break a level.

It is the case if you still own a jetpack that you got from a PREVIOUS level.

For instance there is Fusion Station, E2L4,; it's a gigantic alien tower, the level is entirely Y-axis based. If you still have a jetpack, you can fly directly to the exit pretty much from the start from the start.
There is also LA Rumble, E3L4. But again that's if you own a jetpack gotten from a previous level.

Usually when you get a jetpack, within that level you can hardly skip anything or if you can it's very small, like E1L1 you can skip the arcade room.
>>
>>2875981
>It was probably the worst shooter of the year.
Except for the fact that nearly every other FPS released that year was basically worse.
>>
>>2877752
Name them.
>>
>>2877752
>nearly every other FPS released that year was basically worse

So you're saying:

>Red Orchestra 2
>Crysis 2
>Portal 2
>Rage
>Resistance 3
>Bulletstorm
>Serious Sam 3
>Deus Ex Human Revolution

Are all actually WORSE than Duke Nukem Forever? I'm not saying these are all necessarily shining examples of the FPS genre, I haven't played all of them, but you're honestly saying that DNF is better than THESE?
>>
>>2877752
2011 FPSs that were better than DNF
>Battlefield 3
>Bulletstorm
>Crysis 2
>Dead Island
>Deus Ex: Human Revolution
>Hard Reset
>Portal 2 (if you can count it)
>Rage
>Red Orchestra 2
>Resistance 3
>Section 8: Prejudice
>Serious Sam 3

And I don't even like some of these games.
>>
>>2877785
Yeah. Rage was supremely flawed, but ultimately it was fun to me, fighting was FUN, exploring was fun, driving was fun, unlike in DNF where every time an enemy shows up you get overwhelmed with frustration because the combat is so anti-entertaining, the exploration was poor, and the driving was ass.

And I didn't like Bulletstorm, like, at all, but it was competent and coherent, which can't be said for DNF.
>>
>>2842656
>also, is there any modern fps that has you explore the maps and find secrets and other paths like in dn3d and other games of its time
No, life sucks now
>>
>post unrelated
Wow, looking at that pic of Duke dredged up a recent dream I had. I died in a nuclear detonation. It was pretty close, though I saw it before I heard it. It was over in less that ten seconds. It was pretty fucking rad!
>>
File: Duke Nukem2.jpg (115KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
Duke Nukem2.jpg
115KB, 1024x768px
Anybody got DN3D on PS3?

Looking to do some co-op.
>>
File: Duke Nukem4.jpg (42KB, 620x349px) Image search: [Google]
Duke Nukem4.jpg
42KB, 620x349px
>>2878256
It's on sale for 5.99 on the PSN store. I recommend if you want a console duke for a cheaper price then usual.
>>
>>2805014
I have the PC game and the N64 version. The controls on the N64 version are retarded, they make the game unplayable to me.
>>
File: level02-02.1.jpg (77KB, 620x465px) Image search: [Google]
level02-02.1.jpg
77KB, 620x465px
>>2878317
Play the PC mod.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/dn64
>>
>>2877785

>>Portal 2 (if you can count it)

Why would you count this as a first-person shooter?
>>
Is Duke supposed to be played pistol start? How would you go through E2M3 that way, with all those sentries exploding at you, and practically nothing to kill them? (you find rockets but no rocket launcher, and a chaingun, but there's too much enemies to handle - I'm playing on the second highest difficulty)
>>
>>2878903
>How would you go through E2M3 that way, with all those sentries exploding at you, and practically nothing to kill them?

Close doors on them as they charge or something. I got through that level with a pistol start but I can't remember exactly how I did it.
>>
>>2878903
Also I somehow managed to get through E2M5 (Occupied Territory) while being relatively shit at Duke, on Pistol Start, on Come Get Some.

It can be down to finding some secret, but it is possible.
>>
>>2877768
Yes

>>2877785
No.
>>
>>2877805
>you get overwhelmed with frustration because the combat is so anti-entertaining
Sounds like a personal problem. I'm sorry that the enemies did not sit still for you to slowly move your analog stick at them which is what I'm assuming you did.
Honestly, that's why it was better than all the other games, because the enemy fighting the actual first person shootering was still better. It's shit in many regards but compared to all the other garbage games that didn't even give a shit, it at least had a modicum of attempting to be interesting for firefights.
>>
>>2878934
You have shitty tastes in games.
>>
File: 1412710593431.png (22KB, 600x519px) Image search: [Google]
1412710593431.png
22KB, 600x519px
>>2878903
>Is Duke supposed to be played pistol start?
I think it's meant so that you CAN play it that way, largely.

>How would you go through E2M3 that way
Pistol starting E2M3 is rough, yeah.
But pistol starting E2M5 is a fucking nightmare, see: >>2808423
There really isn't enough adequate firepower in the map as it is to deal with three battlelords, unless you carry over stuff from previous maps, E2M5 is going to be REALLY hard. It's not impossible, but DAMN.

>>2878934
Then that's some impressive shit taste you've got there.

>>2878937
>I'm sorry that the enemies did not sit still for you to slowly move your analog stick at them which is what I'm assuming you did.
Motherfucker, I never said the combat was too hard, I said it wasn't FUN, I managed it just fine. It's not challenging or interesting, it's formulaic and tedious, in a very annoying manner.
Duke 3D has fun combat, Forever does NOT.

It's not at all like in 3D where you fight your way across a non-linear level and discover secrets and alternate paths, Forever is ENTIRELY linear, and it just stops up everything and closes you in wherever you are for this next fight, which I wouldn't have nearly as big a problem with if the controls weren't awful or if the weapons were at all balanced for a two weapon carry limit (which they're so obviously not).
The regen health is badly implemented, it's like any Halo or Cowadoodie bullshit. You can mess around with your surroundings to fill your health meter, but that shit doesn't matter because your regen health passively anyway.

Duke Nukem Forever is an OBJECTIVELY bad game, ESPECIALLY when compared to it's peers. It's not a good shooter by any means, and it's CERTAINLY not a good Duke Nukem game. I had more fun with Duke Nukem Advance and that wasn't exactly a stellar title.
>>
>>2805014
Probably top 10 favourite games of all time, for me.

>favourite level
L.A. Meltdown - Hollywood Holocaust

>favourite weapon
Chaingun - 4 on the number row.

>Favourite quote
Nobody steals our chicks and lives.

>least favourite enemy.
Sentry drones
>>
>>2878472
You shoot bits of energy to create portals, they don't kill anything but you still shoot them.
>>
>>2877752
>>2878934
I am honestly convinced you havent played all or most of the FPSs in 2011
>>
>>2879663
I'm honestly convinced you're a fucking retard.
>>
>>2879328
So basically what you're trying to say is you can't fucking read. Okay.
>>
>>2879815
Great contribution to the discussion.
>>
>>2879823
Tell it to >>2879663
>>
>>2879826
Difference is, I made a claim that's relevant. You just called me a name.
>>
>DNF
>good
>compared to anything
Razorfist pls go
>>
>>2879834
Difference is you're a fucking troll.
>>
File: 1444498384571.png (72KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
1444498384571.png
72KB, 250x250px
http://www.gog.com/forum/general/weekly_staff_picks_farewell_for_now_duke_6c475
http://www.pcworld.com/article/2973130/software-games/gearbox-officially-for-real-secures-duke-nukem-rights-from-3d-realms.html

>bought 3D Realms Anthology pack just few days ago
>see this
>mfw

I hope you guys have your copies of classic Douks on your steam, because knowing gearbox after this there might never be another chance to own legit digital copies.
>>
>>2880209
>1996 game
>not even supported by the original makers anymore
>possibility of being discontinued by the legit right holder
>chance to own legit digital copies

Don't be a dunce.
>>
>>2880171
>Troll!
Not him, just dropping by, kill yourself
>>
I genuinely enjoyed DNF.
Most of the game flaws are tropes and flaws of the era the game was made and released in (linearility, 2 weapon limit, etc)

I thought it was a pleasure to have Duke back and to see all the weapons and enemies in 3D models. I enjoyed the combat, even back when the weapon limit was 2 (although it is more fun with 4) but it is true that it is very limited nonetheless.
>>
>>2878903
>Is Duke supposed to be played pistol start? How would you go through E2M3 that way

Like this, just recorded a first try on Come Get some. Sorry about the size of the picture, I fucked up something during the conversion and couldn't be arsed to do it again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8JPJxBvzmg&feature=youtu.be
>>
>>2880379
Very cool.
So you just eat up most of the fucking sentry bots' explosions, eh? Seems that's the Duke way.
Thanks mate
>>
>>2880398
Well, actually.... All the times I eat them up I didn't do it on purpose. But as you can see at the end of the video, I still had plenty of ammo so I could just as well have destroyed them myself.
>>
>>2876339
>I love the PC Powerslave
Actually, PC Powerslave is, like, the only major Build game which doesn't have any ranged-hitscanning enemies. Sure, it's not quite Heretic-on-Black-Plague gameplay-wise, but it does play really good (once you get used to wonky strafe mechanic, which is not only kind of really slow in comparison to strafing in more popular FPS games of its time, but also blocks the possibility of turning even while using dedicated strafe_left/right keys).

Unavoidable damage from Pigcops, troopers and Battlelords is just annoying (especially since neither bothers to telegraph their attacks). And fucking Blood on its fucking Extra Crispy can just suck my fucking ass.

Doom had very little range-hitscan (two types of zombies, one completely harmless, the other - only dangerous on middle-to-close distances and easy to avoid and snipe from afar - and, of course, Mastermind) in it. Doom2 added sarges and Arch-viles to the mix (of which sarges are particularly annoying, arch-viles are ok since they have interesing abilities and thoroughly telegraph their attacks beforehand). Quake, in terms of ranged hitscan, had only basic grunts (which went down from 2 or less hits from any weapon, which allowed to "stunlock them to death" denying them the possibility to fire weapon altogether) and shamblers (basically, castrated arch-viles - it's a pity shamblers couldn't resurrect other monsters). Heretic and Hexen had no ranged-hitscan-enemies altogether.

4 main Build games as well as Half-Life 1? Hitscan-galore coupled with the traditional HP mechanic.

At least, in Shadow Warrior you could dish out the damage fast enough so that everything could die BEFORE twitching a finger. I actually really liked that Hotline-ish twitchy nature of combat in that game. Played out thrice as fast as Blood did as well.
>>
>>2880209
They wouldn't pay to just hold on to the property.
>>
>>2880526
Also, about "but muh Wolf3D was all hitscan and stuff". That game was very much a thing of its time, and, actually, I think, both Hovertank (especially if one takes into consideration its Battlezone roots) and Catacomb3D were far more interesting and unusual games gamedesign-wise, and do fare much better, when one takes a long hard look at all three games from nowadays (especially since its main selling points - 70fps, VGA, digitized sound, "ultraviolence" and a "famous" license [which is used in a matter similar to how Syndicate's license was used in that Starbreeze game] are now completely moot).
>>
>>2880526
>Actually, PC Powerslave is, like, the only major Build game which doesn't have any ranged-hitscanning enemies. Sure, it's not quite Heretic-on-Black-Plague gameplay-wise, but it does play really good (once you get used to wonky strafe mechanic, which is not only kind of really slow in comparison to strafing in more popular FPS games of its time, but also blocks the possibility of turning even while using dedicated strafe_left/right keys)

Do you not know about the fast strafing tip/glitch ?

Here is a few tips for Powerslave PC
- if you set the "run" key as "capslock", you can actually have autorunning. No need to hold that shift key all the time anymore!
- and if you use that capslock autorunning; you can strafe super fast! The superfast strafing doesn't work with the 'strafe left' and 'strafe right' keys, however it works if you use 'strafekey + left' or 'strafekey + right' (again only if you use the autorunning capslock). So, by settings the Q and D keys to 'left' and 'right' (rather than strafe left/right in a normal WASD setting) and use a key like Lshift or Lctrl as "strafe" key; and hold that key anytime you want to strafe, you can use that superfast strafing.
- apparently you can also toggle mouselook the same way by setting it to screenlock or capslock, etc (otherwise you have to HOLD a key o look up or down in this game)

- about the "fast strafing" tip :
Well now, if you use that trick, but instead of pressing the "left/right" keys you use "mouse moving" (move the mouse in the left direction to strafe left, for instance ), this will give you an INSANELY fast strafing. Like, you go through the room in less than a second. It almost feels like teleporting
>>
>>2880561
>Abusing bugs
>>
>>2880569
I played the game legit all the way through. THEN i found out about all those glitches.
>>
>>2880541
Wolf3D was hitscan but not strictly so. It actually plays like an Action FPS in that regard, it has actual miss and hit ratios for you and the enemies based on relation position, movement and surprise.
>>
>>2880171
Again with the names?
>>
What's the best website to find and download DN3D mods?
>>
>>2881251
>Action FPS
Derp, First Person Action RPG is what I meant.
>>
>>2880209
gog had to remove it, because it was probably 3D realms themselves that published it there. Gearbox may or may not decide to bring it back.

Not sure what the situation will be with Megaton, though. Either it'll be safe, or Gearbox decides to make their own rerelease, like they did with Homeworld.
>>
>>2881723
Apparently GOG's already in talks. We may just see it come back yet.

Who knows? If Megaton appears we may see a situation like Bethe$da's Fallout where Megaton and the original are a separate release.
>>
>>2881768

GOG makes pirating games soooo much easier! Gotta love those fuckers. ^_^
>>
>>2881775
Megaton's only use in a torrent is getting the expansion files because it doesn't use ED32. Like there weren't already generators for that in the first place if you had an ISO, but it was a hassle.

Ironically for the most part Megaton's only use outside of expansions is what Steam gives it.
>>
>>2881786

I don't use EDUKE32. So yes: the files are in fact useful to me. DOSBOX for me.
>>
>>2881723
Good thing I already have Megaton on my PS3.

>>2881786
>Megaton's only use in a torrent is getting the expansion files
If you want to play Duke on console, it's an easy and adequate way, it's also really cheap, so I think it's a good thing in that's a low barrier for entry for someone to play it, someone can see it on PSN or XBox Live and pick it up because it's dirt cheap, and be pleasantly surprised that it's actually an excellent videogame. I think it's good if the younger generations can experience renowned masterpieces like that.

I mean, I missed Duke Caribbean back in the day, if it wasn't for Megaton I would probably have never played it at all, and that would be such a terrible shame because Duke Caribbean is such an amazing game.

But yeah, for PC, there's obviously much better options.

>>2881789
>dosbox
Really? The original .exe runs fine for me and I'm on Win 7
>>
>>2881775
I honestly pay for most of the GOG releases desu
>>
>>2805014
>Level
Dukeburger.
>Weapon
Shotgun
>Quote
"I'm here to kick ass and chew bubblegum, and im all out of gum."
>Least favourite enemy
FFFFUCK THOSE CEILING GUNS
>>
>>2805014
I prefer Blood, but Duke 3D was still pretty awesome.
>>
File: duke donation.png (32KB, 612x812px) Image search: [Google]
duke donation.png
32KB, 612x812px
>Quote
"Don't worry about it, saving chicks is what I'm all about!"
>>
>>2837304
>being this mad
why would you do that?
I played trhough it just to play all the duke official sutff and i thought it was the shittiest thing ever.
>>
File: 1433615428677.jpg (180KB, 600x412px) Image search: [Google]
1433615428677.jpg
180KB, 600x412px
>>2885954
excellent
>>
>>2837304
Nuclear Winter is really terrible. Only the first two levels are any good at all and that's because they're recycled original maps.
>>
>>2837304
I've played through it during Christmas Eve and while it was incredibly short, it felt like it really dragged on. Spawning enemies behind you or laser tripmines directly in front of you was just aggravating, plus all the levels were just terrible. Especially the one which had 3 pipes that warped you to different areas, depending on which one you chose to go down below. And they somehow managed to squeeze in a sewer level, a fucking sewer level in a Christmas themed add-on.
Overall It felt like a lump of coal on Christmas.
>>
>>2888232
That add-on screams bad management and little development time.

For instance that sewer level you're talking about, it has some pretty fucking hard and time taking to build lightning on some slopes parts. so on one hand you have that, wasting time and effort on impressive lighting on a couple of spots, and on the other hand you have obviously unfinished and even glitchy stuff.
Then it's all they realize "fuck, we're out of time an don't have enough levels, let's put the 2 first levels everyone has played except backwards" and the episode doesn't like it was tested much either, some maps don't even have the right number of multiplayer spawn points.

That pipe warp part is terrible yeah, and it feels like a desperate effort to squeeze in a few more mins of play time.

it baffles when people don't realize how bad NW is. How could they not see?!
>>
Is DC worth playing?
>>
>>2888404
Totally. It's like more of ep3, except with new textures and famous USA places.
>>
>>2888404
It's ok.

Even at it's low points, it's WAY better than Nuclear Winter.
Once you reach the shark-tanks in Smithsonian Terror, don't be afraid to savescum a little bit.

If you haven't checked out Duke Caribbean, you should do that too, it's absolutely amazing.
>>
>>2888475
My biggest disappointment with Duke It Out In D.C was that they had put Bill Clinton in it, but they didn't even get a funny Bill Clinton impersonator to lines for him
>>
>>2809475
Is there any other? I had hopes for half life 1 but only the first maps (and only on singleplayer) were even close.
>>
Why are there so many more maps for Doom than Duke? And the Duke ones I've seen are rather shitty
Also, when a map has more than one file, how do you import it into eDuke? I've tried dragging the files onto the shortcut but it doesn't work, and selecting maps from the menu doesn't load the music or extra assets...
>>
>>2890459
Because Doom has kept a larger community all these days. Doom's community never suffered from a let down, Doomworld is still there. Dukeworld closed down in the early 00's AFAIK and that pretty much killed the community, only a handful of brave resistants remain.

Besides, Doom maps are much easier AND faster to make.

As for maps, putting the files into the main folder should work. For instance if you have a "dethtoll.mid" then it will become the main music for usermaps. Nowadays EDuke32 automatically rids mid/ogg files that have the same name of the map, so if you have map XXX.map and XXX.mid (or XXX.ogg) it should automatically read it.
Other files, like tiles0014.art or game.com, will automatically be used as long as they are in the main folder. Just make sure not to fuck up use the files of map X with map Y; to prevent you can make a seperate folder with all files in it and in the startup launcher, tick "autoload folder" and set that folder.
>>
>>2890459
As for "shitty maps", you can check out these websites, any of the top rated maps should do.
msdn.duke4.net
http://www.scent-88.com

Someone made a "so you wanna play some Douk ?" pic but I don't seem to have it saved on my computer... For episodes or TC you can check out:
WGRealms
Daikarin
Metropolitan Mayhem (shameless self insert)
Duke Hard (shameless self insert)

AMC TC
WGRealms 2
>>
>>2890487
Faster to make yeah; easier not at all.
Every kid that owned duke, myself included, could just use build.exe and make a level while walking inside it. It doesn't get easier than that. The cds even included full documentation and tutorial maps.

The doom editors were never wysiwyg so I never learned and not for lack of trying.
>>
>>2890459
Doom community never lost its momentum, because its source code was released in 1997, 4 years after Doom itself and only 1.5 years after Final Doom. Duke 3D didn't get it in such a timely matter, instead having to wait 7 years until its release in 2003.
>>
>>2805014
"I've go titanium testicles" -Dick Kickem
>>
File: DN3DME.jpg (25KB, 946x113px) Image search: [Google]
DN3DME.jpg
25KB, 946x113px
Should I get it bros?
>>
>>2858407
for me in 1996, the appeal of Duke3d was that it was Doom, but in a city (and more cityish than Doom 2's city levels)

Duke3d, but in space, means that I'm just playing Doom.

I played Duke it out in DC more than I played Lunar Apocalypse, and I didn't have DC until much later.
>>
>>2890734
>The doom editors were never wysiwyg so I never learned and not for lack of trying.
Doom Builder changed that way back in '03 (and is piss easy to use), you should give it another shot.
It's considered to be a bit similar to how Build does things, actually.
>>
Manhattan Project is a better modern Duke Nukem than DNF.
>>
>>2891837
I might, thanks for the tip.
The original build tools however, are so damn comfy to use; it doesn't surprise me that the duke3d devs could get so creative with the levels and all back in the day, compared to the original doom/quake levels.
>>
>>2891594
It's alright.
If you're a purist, you might not like it.

>>2891840
Yep.
>>
>>2890734
Yeeaah.... everyone knew how to make walls, put sprites and change textures. But how many people knew how to even make a slide door? Compared to Doom's, Build might be easier to pick up, but it's harder to master.
Doom's mapping is so limited that you don't have much to learn. That's good in the sense that it boosts fast creativity though.
>>
>>2891594
Yes, it's incredible.
>>
>>2863467
I think the Wolfensten TNO/TOB devs could do Duke justice, at least gameplay-wise. They can make the embodiment of a meaty action movie-style shooter. The big problem would be creating a script that doesn't repeat DNF's mistakes of a 90's character played straight in the 2010's.
>>
>>2892482
Yeah, TNO was tons of fun but ruined by the "story" orientation; that and gameplay was limited, the game is easy to master and the skill gap isn't very high.
But all of this was fixed in TOB, TOB is just amazing, it's TNOx10 in terms of gameplay.

There are some modern FPS i enjoy. That, Shadow Warrior, Hard Reset... I'm pretty excited for Shadow Warrior 2.
>>
>>2892494
>I'm pretty excited for Shadow Warrior 2

Same. I find it pretty cool that they're actually addressing the linearity of the first one. And it looks like theres more mobility this time.
>>
>>2892725
Yeah, looks like it's unlinear and you can jump on rooftops and shit. I can't wait.
>>
>>2891681
Holy fucking shit i never realized this but you are right. I have most clear memories of the stages that are in actual places like the movie studio and the kitchens. The lunar stages always felt more abstract and cold
>>
>>2892785

Also the space levels environments are kind of bland and uninspired, going from white walls to alien goop walls and then back to white walls with the occasional grey metallic industrial room. Nothing really memorable.
>>
I like the space levels. They're not as memorable as the rest, but I like them.d
>>
>>2892785
Because let's be fair and interesting story llines of any character I prefer Blood, but Duke 3D alphas and betas
>>
>>2894624
Same. Only Space levels I'd say were truly memorable was Dark Side, and the secret levels.
>>
>>2892482
>The big problem would be creating a script that doesn't repeat DNF's mistakes of a 90's character played straight in the 2010's.
That really wasn't DNF's problem.
>>
>>2896240
That would be the worst gameplay in an FPS this millenium.

The writing isn't exactly top notch (and it really doesn't have to be that elaborate, it's fucking Duke), but it's hardly the greatest of it's sins.
>>
>>2891681
>>2892785
I actually enjoyed the second episode a lot.
It might be a little too long for its own good but the desolated space atmosphere was really nice.
>>
>>2897030
I think Lunar Apocalypse does a good job in breaking up the theme and setting of Duke before you go back to earth, it fits well in my opinion.
>>
>>2896240
Agreed. If anything, that was its strength.

It was the level design that was atrocious. Almost completely linear except for the puzzle-related detours, and the odd alley "secret location".
>>
>>2897246
The level design was weak. But the thing that made it suffer the most was the gameplay. Better than most modern FPS games but still tame by old standards. Too few enemies, too few weapons at a time, slower gameplay.
A lot of old games were actually fairly linear. For all the people who bitch about Doom being nonlinear, it's largely very linear with a few exceptions of branching paths. Duke is not altogether different but less so - though there are ways to break both that weren't really designed as such, but whatever. Jetpack lets you skip a lot of shit too.
>>
>>2897265
Also, the slow cutscene and interlude crap. They wanted to make Duke more movie like, but it's crap if it costs gameplay. There's a fine balance and Duke3D was closer to that balance with voice overs and scenery where you're just thrown in rather than trying to wow you with ZOMG aliens attack! From the second you drop in Duke3D (those alien bastards are gonna pay for shooting up) we get the idea and we agree with the narrative, now time to fuck them up.
>>
>>2897265
>But the thing that made it suffer the most was the gameplay.
I agree.

>Better than most modern FPS games but still tame by old standards.
Honestly, not by modern standards either, it has some of the worst gunplay I've ever seen in a game.
The overlying issue is the two weapon carry limit, which just doesn't lend itself well to classic Duke weapons (and the weapons are more or less like the old guns).

Imagine if you could only carry two weapons in Duke 3D, and you only get some ammo at a time (you only find weapons lying around with their fixed amount of ammo in them, you never really find loose ammo to fill the guns you have, just like in Forever), you would quickly find yourself having lots of Not Fun, because old school FPS weapons are simply not meant for these kinds of limits.

If you have a two-weapon carry limit in a game, one of the commonly available weapons better be something like an assault rifle, that is versatile for lots of situations, decently powerful, accurate enough for some distance with single shots, and can put out rapid hurt in close quarters when necessary.
There is no weapon like that in Forever, you can only carry two weapons at once and you can never really have an inventory that covers all bases, and the level design doesn't handle this well either.

>Too few enemies, too few weapons at a time, slower gameplay.
The gameplay was slow, and tedious. Like, "oh here we go, now the doors are gonna lock again and I'm gonna have to fight these enemies in the same way AGAIN"
Also it has CoD/Halo style regen health, which is inexcusable.

>A lot of old games were actually fairly linear.
Yeah, but DNF isn't linear in a good way, it was less Half-Life linear and more Colladoodie linear.
Duke 3D was pretty loose when it came to any linearity, there were frequently branching paths and stuff around the levels.
>>
>>2897294
>>2897265
Also, regarding the atrocious gunplay in DNF, let's compare it to a game that came just a year or so later, Far Cry 3

In Far Cry 3, you start out with a carry limit of one, but you upgrade as you go, with you being able to carry up to four weapons at a time, then more grenades, more ammo, more explosive charges, etc.
Assault rifles are prominent, and they do what an assault rifle does (unlike in CoD where they're boring, and by the way, the DNF Ripper feels a lot like all the boring machineguns in CoD, no punch, just many bullets instead), you can rely on them for ranged shots as well as close quarters combat. The arsenal is varied and you're never really forced to use one weapon at any particular time, that's rare events, rather unlike DNF where if there's a Shrinker, you're meant to use it at this one part, you only get a few shots, and you will be forced to ditch it.

Now, FC3 is a very different kind of game compared to DNF, it's a game where your arsenal improves progressively (but not too slowly), but the gunplay is infinitely superior, you can actually rely on the weapons you have to help you in various situations.
It doesn't have crazy weapons like Freezers, Shrinkers or the Devestator, but DNF doesn't implement those weapons in a good way so that evens out.

While in DNF, you can just wait and all your health will regen by itself, which is boring and trite, in Far Cry 3, health regenerates, but only to a point, your healthbar is divided into increments, and will rebuild only the last damaged block. Say you have built up your health to three blocks, if the third block is damaged, it will regenerate, but if it's emptied, it will no longer regenerate and the second block will take your damage.

To restore lost health, you need to take action and heal yourself, which makes the health matter more, like in Duke 3D where you actually have to go and find health, rather than just sit and wait for it.
>>
>>2897312
>>2897265
Finally, Far Cry 3 rewards exploration, the game is huge and there's lots of things to find or stumble upon, you can find health items, armor, ammunition, money, explosives, etc, there's also many many ways to approach a combat situation, be it with stealth, brute force, or more esoteric ways such as setting loose wild tigers or starting forest fires.

DNF has basically no exploration at all, there's little reward to it (yaaay, my CoD regen health bar got a little bit longer), and there is literally only one way to handle every combat situation, unlike Far Cry 3, or even Duke Nukem 3D, where you had a varied arsenal and many different inventory items.

Far Cry 3 isn't a classic styled shooter, but it schools Duke Nukem Forever in everything it tries to do gameplay wise.
>>
>>2897275
>but it's crap if it costs gameplay
Not a huge loss considering the gameplay was really bad.
(though obviously I don't think narrative should eat up too much of your time either)

I found myself having the most fun in Duke Nukem Forever when I was just fooling around doing dumb shit like poking wall-sockets, throwing feces, using the toilet, eating everything I could find, playing the (rather lacking and clumsily made) minigames. When I ran into more enemies, I would groan and what little fun I was having would drain away from me.

When the little silly inbetweens is the very best parts of what's supposed to be a high-octane action game, there are serious problems at hand.
>>
>>2897275
>They wanted to make Duke more movie like, but it's crap if it costs gameplay.

A lot of the cutscenes were okay, and they are especially fun after you beat a level - as a reward or so.

Like when you beat the prologue and the camera zooms out to reveal that the entire level was Duke playing Duke3d while the Olsen Twins were giving him a double blowjob.
>>
>>2897312
>>2897318
Far Cry 3 was shit. The AI was bad, the guns felt like shit. The game was buggy. Everything outside the missions was samey.
It was definitely a worse game all around than DNF and the gunplay was worse.
>>
>>2897334
>The AI was bad
As opposed to the stellar DNF AI? Enemies would seek you out and throw grenades if you take cover, they would also lay down covering fire and employ snipers and firebombs, wild animals would also sneak up on you.

Meanwhile, the enemies in DNF has no tactics at all, which wouldn't even be so bad if it didn't try to half-bake modern gameplay mechanics.

> the guns felt like shit
Felt way better than the DNF guns, guns felt like they had impact, the arsenal was way more versatile (and could be handled to your liking and at your leisure, as opposed to the rigidity of DNF), the shotguns could actually be used past 6ft, which by the way was the case with Duke 3D, where shotgun spread was actually treated with a bit of realism and made it so that it could be used at medium distances.

The higher powered automatic weapons actually felt like they carried punch and they did, as opposed to the DNF Ripper which felt like a fast peashooter (in Duke 3D it actually did good damage and would stunlock foes)

The rocket launcher would obliterate whatever it hit and everything close-by, as opposed to the DNF rocket which had absolutely pathetic splash-damage and felt anemic.

>The game was buggy.
Never encountered much bugs myself, but it sure as shit didn't have even close to as many bugs or shoddy execution as DNF.

>Everything outside the missions was samey.
As opposed to DNF? Where the entire game felt exactly the same the entire time and was just barely broken up by the (not very good at all) bossfights?

The gameplay in Far Cry 3 is as varied as you make it, you can be the sneaky guy in the bushes with the machete and avoid being seen as you pick off enemies one by one, you can storm the enemy with a GPMG, you can charge in with the machete like a berserker, you can light the entire area on fire, you can let wild animals kill enemies for you.
The missions were the most varied by far, sure, but the gameplay had WAY more capacity for variation for DNF
>>
>>2897334
>Far Cry 3 was shit

Why do people say things like this? Why not just say that you didn't like it? There are many people who enjoyed the game immensely. Why must you treat your opinion as fact? Are you insecure in real life? (Don't answer that; I know you are.)
>>
>>2805886
>>2805901

Doesn't the N64 version have multiplayer? Just wondering. I'd love to try it out.
>>
>>2806358

Holy shit, this sounds awesome as hell. This is the first time I've ever listened to a song from a Saturn game. Do they all feature such good instrumentation? The synths sound amazing.

This song pumped me the fuck up way more than the PC version.
>>
>>2806358

Parts of this remind me of the F-Zero GX soundtrack. (This is a good thing.)
>>
>>2812914
>Why would you use your actual name and identity ANYWHERE on the net?

I can tell you're another dude who's been using the internet for a long time just like me. Unfortunately, the days where sharing your personal information on the internet was taboo is far gone. It's very normal now.

Back in the day, your internet and real life personas were completely seperate. On the internet, you were known only be your username. I miss that. On internet forums, you would never expect to even see a single picture of the people who posted there. It was just part of the culture. Social networking websites kind of changed that.
>>
>>2897571
That's ridiculous, unless you mean 1995 internet old. I started using the internet around 2000 or so and back then it was common to use real names and forums have always had "SHOW YOURSELF" thread solely dedicated to showing pictures.

Not using your name is part of 4chan's culture, but 4chan isn't the internet.
>>
File: youtube.jpg (218KB, 1436x674px) Image search: [Google]
youtube.jpg
218KB, 1436x674px
>>2897571
I miss the old internet.
>>
>>2897535
As far as modern shooters with a (selective) focus on realism go, I thought it was pretty great.

>>2897559
>Do they all feature such good instrumentation?
Yes, they absolutely do, check that shit out, it is gud.

Alienz sounds phenomenal on the Saturn.

>>2897571
>just like me. Unfortunately, the days where sharing your personal information on the internet was taboo is far gone. It's very normal now.
This was kind of a time and place thing. You might leave your name and phone number somewhere in one community (it wasn't rare for people to do this with the readmes for Doom wads once), meanwhile, there's other places where you would use a screen name.

There's still lots and lots of people who don't leave out their names on forums or chats to this day, hell, you'd be hard pressed to find that even on tumblr.

>>2897635
Some things are definitively worse today, some are definitively much better.
I mean, internet porn is now better than it ever was back then.
>>
>>2897597

I do recall people sometimes using their names on forums, especially when talking to someone they are good friends with, but never last names. And I definitely remember "show yourself" threads but you'd see pictures from like 10-20% of the userbase at the absolute most.
>>
>>2897647
>Some things are definitively worse today, some are definitively much better.
>I mean, internet porn is now better than it ever was back then.

This is true. Streaming websites changed everything.
>>
>>2897668
There's some people on /vr/ who act like Youtube is nothing but a curse, but I think it can be great depending on what you're purposes are.

Back in the day, the only readily available publications about guns were printed magazines, and it was (still actually) certainly not rare for writers and editors to be paid off to either praise a product more than it's worth (paid adverts masked as articles basically), or to outright lie about a horribly flawed product (the Colt All American 2000 is an imfamous example).

Today on YouTube, you can go look up a recent product, and you'll find videos made by random people who just plain bought it and then tell you about how they like that gun, and how they like it, what they don't like, and if they had problems.
A year or so ago, Remington released a pocket pistol that was outright dangerous to shoot (MANY examples would consistently fire out of battery aside from numerous other quality and functioning issues). Many printed magazines completely whitewashed it despite it actually being unsafe, but on the web this spread like wildfire, partially thanks to many YouTube videos.
Back in the day, this would have taken a lot more time and it would have been covered up and hushed much more.

I'm sure this can be applied to a lot of more niche consumer products, it's not like with the Ford Pinto where everyone is a driver and the idea of your car catching fire/exploding is much more widely reported.
>>
>>2897334
>Far Cry 3
>the guns felt like shit.

You can't be serious...
>>
>>2897535
>There are many people who enjoyed the game immensely.
Right. They did enjoy it. But why do you have to treat their opinion as fact?

The game was factually shit. Sure you enjoyed it, but it was still a horrifically fucking terrible mess of a terrible game. Whether or not either of us enjoyed it or not.
>>
>>2897635
That's not the old internet and google never had your best interest at heart.
>>
>>2855410
unf
>>
balls balls balls balls balls balls of steel
>>
>>2855410
Dyke.
>>
>>2898791
>The game was factually shit
Not really.
DNF was though.

DNF was VERY bad by modern standards, stop denying this, why do you think everyone shat on it?
>>
>>2898956
Dyke Suckem.
>>
File: 1396997128548.jpg (40KB, 529x676px) Image search: [Google]
1396997128548.jpg
40KB, 529x676px
>>2899421
>Dyke
>sucking
Anon, c'mon now.
>>
>>2897312
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPqwDGXxLhU
>>
>>2899529
>half an hour
I don't have time for that now, but if you're trying to say what I think you are, I'm by no means saying the AAA industry is great, or faultless, merely that the notion that Duke Nukem Forever being considered good by any standards anywhere in the world is a preposterous suggestion, and that there were good shooters released at the same time as it.
>>
>>2899571
You should watch that, it's fairly relevant to everything you just said.
>>
I forgot how to get past the underwater grinder on the 4th level of the first episode.
>>
So I am playing the pc port for Duke 64 and all the switches are invisible aside from the red/green glows.

How do I fix this?
>>
<--- Oldschool BUILD expert... had a few maps published on PCGamer. This thread caught my attention.
>>
>>2900884
Do you mean the Duke64 mod for EDuke32?

>>2900949
What maps did you make, Mr Expert?
>>
>>2900998
>Do you mean the Duke64 mod for EDuke32?
yes that one. The invisible switches make it hard to navigate through levels.
>>
>>2901010
Are you playing with the HRP?
>>
>>2900780
>quest markers
While they can be used to make a game incredibly lazy, I don't think it detracts enough from a game that it's damaging.
He says it takes you completely out of a game, but it doesn't to me, he's making assumptions.
It's just a videogame abstraction, not something that detracts from the game in a serious manner.

The idea of intepretive maps, outdated maps, and maps based on someone's memory is interesting, but ultimately, it's a gimmick to me.
A good gimmick that fit Thief perfectly, but nonetheless just a gimmick, not something I would put in every game.

Resident Evil had a nice map-system where things were revealed on the map as you found them and where you can find maps.
>>
>>2901018
I don't think so, I downloaded the port from
http://www.moddb.com/mods/dn64/news/new-site43

I checked my settings and had the hi rez setting on. I turned it off but it doesn't change anything.

I should also note I am using game data from The Atomic edition from Duke Nukem 3d.

Also vent grates are invisible as well.
>>
>>2901685
Make sure the version of EDuke32 you're using is recent. If the mod comes with it (though I doubt it's the case), use that version.

If you're playing in 8-bit video mode, try 32-bit; and vice versa.
IIRC the author made an update at some point adding some 3Dmodels so maybe something fucked up at that point.
>>
>>2901881
I switched from openGL to software mode and it seems to have fixed the problem. I am going to assume that whatever the Eduke32 opengl uses (it came with the mod btw) isn't compatable with what I have (Nvidia GTX 970).
>>
I can't wait to get a Chocolate Duke and a Chocolate Shadow Warrior. I yearn for actively maintained forks of both.
>>
File: douk duke vagina.jpg (80KB, 402x496px) Image search: [Google]
douk duke vagina.jpg
80KB, 402x496px
So.. when are we dudes going to play Douk in co-op and perhaps make some new friends? Douke Megaton in co-op, anyone?
>>
>>2902103

I'm always afraid to co-op because I'm afraid like the other person will be impatient with me if I'm not as good as them.
>>
>>2902047
ChocoDuke exists
>>
>>2902673

Not actively maintained. Nor is there ChocoShadow.
>>
>>2902103
> duke has coop
never heard
never played
>>
>>2904793
Are you crazy? Multiplayer is the reason why levels are the way they are. They are interconnected and unlinear for Dukematch and wide for co-op.
>>
Damn.
>>
>>2904802
Some of us didn't have a good internet connection back then (if at all).
Others only got around to the game much later where there weren't a whole lot of people around.
>>
>>2907141
Duke Nukem 3D: Megaton edition has a multiplayer that works and it's pretty active I think. It even has steam achievements.
>>
>>2907647
It works? I can't seem to find anyone playing on my PS3.
>>
>>2910643
Why you be bumping? Oh, wait. I be bumping now.
>>
File: douks.jpg (985KB, 2877x1919px) Image search: [Google]
douks.jpg
985KB, 2877x1919px
I can do a pretty decent Douk voice impression according to my brothers and I've been thinking maybe making my own Douk 3D episode with new Duke oneliners. Of course the lower bit rate would make the voice even more authentic sounding.
>>
>>2897751
This is what I find hysterical about GamersGate.
"Nepotism in video gaming is happening and it is horrible!" Yes, like that NEVER EVER HAPPENED EVER BEFORE.

Also, Derek Smart.
>>
>>2911652
I guess it's pretty gullible ultimately, but I think a lot of that came after a long time of, I guess I'd say "defamation"

Gamespot would just fluff up the score of the latest AAA game regardless of what it's actual merits are and then plaster a bunch of ads over their page, they don't care what your opinion is at any rate.

Kotaku would describe some really banal or poor indie game as a masterpiece simply because it had the shtick of being "progressive" in some way, and if you said the game wasn't actually good at all, or it's progressive message was misguided or outright wrong, you were just a bigot, as well as repeated "hit-pieces" at certain audiences.

I think it was kind of a slowly building resentment for places like Kotaku that served as a lot of the fuel for GG. Then, if GG actually ended up actually meaning something, I'm not sure, I guess it might have helped open up people's eyes to SJW shenanigans a bit, but I think that would have been happening regardless.
>>
>>2911447
Really? Read some lines for us on Vocaroo and we'll be the judge of that.
>>
File: dukc.jpg (173KB, 540x797px) Image search: [Google]
dukc.jpg
173KB, 540x797px
What's this?
>>
>>2912821
>implying in the perfect world of 3XXX duke would immediately know what some soldier from some war near that boot shaped peninsula intended with "my people"
>>
File: duke glorious bastard.jpg (115KB, 600x941px) Image search: [Google]
duke glorious bastard.jpg
115KB, 600x941px
>>2912821
Must be from the Duke Nukem: Glorious Bastard comic series published during the release of Douk Forever. There was some special prequel issue released with the Balls of Steel edition and it was pretty meh I remember, I don't know how the rest of the series is.
>>
>>2912821
>>2913589
As an avid comic book reader, this looks awful.
>>
>>2898813
Vent? :)
>>
>>
>>2913589

Who the fuck drew this? It looks pretty bad for a professional comic book cover.

Look at the girl on the left. Her body is fucked. Why is there a huge valley in between her tits? What's up with the seemingly random shadows on her abdominal area? It looks like she has weird bones jutting out that aren't supposed to be there.
>>
>>2914598

Some girls have weird boobs like that though
>>
>>2914625
I think he means the overall quality.

The boobs are really the least of it's problems.
>>
>>2914598
>>2914683
>>2914625

Pretty much every videogame tie in comic book has fucking awful artwork. The Mass Effect comics are a prime example of this.
>>
>>2916071
as much as I fucking hate to admit it, the halo comics have pretty decent looking artwork

too bad the story is incredibly fucking bland and uninteresting, just like the games
>>
File: Page33.jpg (3MB, 1329x2148px) Image search: [Google]
Page33.jpg
3MB, 1329x2148px
>>2916071
The Alone In The Dark: A New Nightmare prequel comic is not bad.
>>
I just finished Duke Nukem 3D, plus DC and the Caribbean expansion packs. What should I play next?
>>
>>2917795

Shadow Warrior, Blood, and their expansions. I'd skip Death Wish and Twin Dragon, though.
>>
>>2917798
Id still play them.....
>>
>>2917795
Duke Nuclear Winter. It's the worst of all Douk 3D expansions, but you should play it through for the sake of completion.
>>
>>2917798
>I'd skip Death Wish
lol what a faggot
>>
>>2917798
>I'd skip Death Wish and Twin Dragon, though.

I wouldn't.
>>
>>2805014
Duke Nukem 3D was cool. Always loved the fourth episode.
>>
Is there any gameplay mods or TCs featuring proper reloading for weapons and optionally a rifle with usable sights without turning into a "regen health and 100% cover based combat" game?
>>
File: megaton.jpg (38KB, 460x215px) Image search: [Google]
megaton.jpg
38KB, 460x215px
So I have talked to some people who played Megaton Edition on the PS3, and some people had a great experience (myself included) with few if any bugs, while others mention having had a terrible experience with lots and lots of bugs, even with the current patch.

So I wondered, how buggy is the PS3 release of Megaton for you with the current patch? Specifically single-player, just the engine having hickups or outright shitting itself.

http://strawpoll.me/6562972
Thread posts: 464
Thread images: 65

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.