[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Which version of Resident Evil is the definitive one to play?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 182
Thread images: 24

File: 37472-Resident_Evil_U-1.jpg (137KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
37472-Resident_Evil_U-1.jpg
137KB, 600x600px
Which version of Resident Evil is the definitive one to play?
>>
>>2146673
Your pic related or REmake
>>
the one with the kick-ass zombies
>>
Dual Shock
>>
>>2146673
Xbox 360 remake HD
>>
File: 10677069206_4f51c9b25a.jpg (119KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
10677069206_4f51c9b25a.jpg
119KB, 500x375px
>>2146674
I actually liked REmake more than the first one.

One of the few times they've done a remake without it being complete shit.

Pic related was fucking scary though
>>
>>2146679

>not telling him to get the PC version which is confirmed to run at 60 fps
>>
>>2146673
There is no definitive version. Each one has its pros and cons.
>>
>>2146702
Which one do you prefer then?
>>
>>2146701
Is it restricted to 60 or can you go higher?
>>
>>2146706
Personaly I like the Saturn version better :

- it has the best looking exclusive extra costumes
- the 2nd time you meet both the Hunter and Chimera monsters they have a new skin which make them look different
- the 3D looks worse than on PS1, blockier; but the 2D backgrounds look better
- exclusive battle mode mini game when you beat the game which is great

People will recommend you the DS version; but be aware that the DS version is highly different than the original game. Every 3D model was redone from scartch and it palys very differently because you are given 2 new moves (180° turnaround key + use of the knife at all times RE4 style) and zombies have a much better AI which is a lot harder to dodge and fight.
>>
If you're only looking to play the original game and don't care about the extra, any version is fine.
However be aware that the difficulty of the PC version is easier than on console. Well, I'm not 100% positive of that, been a long time, but i'm sure that it corresponds to the difficulty of the original biohazard 1 which is easier than the consoles NTSC-U and PAL Resident Evil 1.
>>
>>2146736
>>2146749
You forgot to mention that Saturn and Longbox have no auto-aim, which is a difficulty jump that I enjoy.
>>
>>2146802
I know the PAL Saturn version has no autoaim, but I heard (on /vr/) that the Saturn NTSC-U version does have auto aim; so that's why I didn't mention it.
>>
>>2146802
>blindly shooting monsters off screen
What kind of masochist would prefer that is beyond me.
>>
>>2146673
I would argue the Playstation Director's Cut WITHOUT dualshock. It gives you auto-aim on the base game, but doesn't fuck up the music like on the Dual Shock version.
>>
>>2147118
And miss out on the ghost-written masterpieces by a fake-deaf genius?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kcF7E69C6Q
>>
>>2146802
Cant you turn autoaim off in the console versions? I know you can in RE2 for N64, and I think it's even off by default.
>>
>>2146697
>I actually liked REmake more than the first one.
I am pretty sure everyone does
>>
>>2147265
IIRC there are versions of RE1 in which you can and others in which you can't do anything about it but I'm not sure.

>>2147289
I don't, I like both the original and the remake as much for different reasons. Both are very different in atmosphere tone and gameplay.
Actually I probably even like the original a tiny bit more than the remake, after all I 'only' played the REmake about 20 times contrary to the original which I've probably played more than a hundreds time
>>
>>2147314
>Both are very different in atmosphere tone and gameplay.
how so?
>>
>>2147243
Was that one actually ghostwritten? Seems like that type of shit is the thing a guy with no talent would produce. I thought Onimusha was the big thing he cheated on.
>>
>>2146736

A lot of those improvements from the other RE games made Deadly Silence fun, though I wish it had the broken as hell dodge from Nemesis.

Also Saturn RE1 had Zombie Wesker too I think.
>>
>>2146673
>>
>>2146676
>getting the inferior soundtrack
No thanks.

For me it's either the original Director's Cut or REmake. REmake was actually good, go figure.
>>
File: battle_game.jpg (31KB, 618x311px) Image search: [Google]
battle_game.jpg
31KB, 618x311px
>>2147825
>Also Saturn RE1 had Zombie Wesker too I think.

Only in Battle Mode
>>
remake is coming out soon
Preorder it now if you don't have a ps4 because the ps3 version comes with it for ps4 for when you do upgrade
>>
>>2148532
Remake was released on the Gamecube.
>>
>>2149068
fine, reremake
>>
>>2146673
DC is better although it has a different soundtrack. It has improved controls and arrange mode. Probably other additions. Longbox RE is still playable.
>>
My personal ranking.
Director's Cut (without shitty music) > Saturn > PC > Original > Deadly Silence > Dual Shock Edition
>>
>>2148532
This.
If you listen to this...then you are a fool in the purist sense of the word.
>>
>>2150147
Only a few days left to be able to cross buy
>>
>>2150129
How do the graphics compare between Saturn and PS1?
>>
>>2148532
I'm not buying a botched version of Mikami's masterpiece, fuck Capcom. They're just worried about the series' future and now they're pandering to the classic fans to get more money.

Seriously the game is only out Japan and they already fucked the music up, not to mention all the terrible design choices they went with.
>>
>>2150159
It's still a decent game
And it's only 20 bucks, I've spent more on worse
>>
>>2150156
The Saturn version's character models are not as pretty as the PS and PC versions. I only rank it high due to its exclusive content.
>>
File: sony_saturn2.jpg (45KB, 610x468px) Image search: [Google]
sony_saturn2.jpg
45KB, 610x468px
>>2150167
>>2150156
But the 2D backgrounds look better than on PS1
>>
File: sony_saturn.jpg (32KB, 618x311px) Image search: [Google]
sony_saturn.jpg
32KB, 618x311px
>>2150225
>>
>>2150225
3d isnt even that much better either, to be honest
>>
>>2150226
>>2150225

>Tiny resolution

Why do the models look better anyways?
>>
>>2150226
>>2150225
Never change nesfag
>>
>>2147289

REmake is pretty and all but they fucked up the voice acting. It's still bad but now it's bland. There's no Jill sandwich or WHAT A MANSION.

If there's a version of REmake with the original VA I'd say that's the best version.
>>
>>2150283
>they fucked up the voice acting
>best voice acting in the series
>fucked up

That shit was never funny, and the sandwhich joke is still in, it's just a bit more subtle in REmake.

Why people like those awful VA that was never intentional to begin with is beyond me, i guess nostalgia really is that powerful.
>>
>>2150297
>>2150283
I wonder if they'll redo the va in the upcoming hd rererererelease
>>
>>2150297

I just played Typing of the Dead this year and that kind of voice acting/writing is still funny.
>>
>>2150297
It's that B movie charm. I love it.
>>
>>2150297
If you can't enjoy things that are so bad they make their way back across the spectrum and become good, I feel sorry for you.

The original script is a prime example of Japanese written English that is generally grammatically correct but has very little context and uses almost nonsensical turns of phrase.

Even if you think the performance detracts from the game, it's one of the prime examples of early game voice overs of substandard quality on a block buster game.
>>
>>2150159
What's wrong with the reremake? My jap copy of the collectors edition is on my shelf and I haven't gotten round to playing it yet and I'd hate to be disappointed...
>>
>>2150240
Because the game was intended for PS1, and then ported on Saturn. Saturn's models couldn't have triangles so they had to make the models more blocky.

Yeah i'm sorry the resolution is awful but it's all I could find; but even with those small pics you can see the difference with the models and the backgrounds
>>
>>2150159
Honestly, if they remade, or only even rereleased RE1 to RE3, but with Re4 style movement control, weapon aiming, and suitcase inventory, but without changing up anything else (except perhaps burn the inkribbon concept at the stake), I'd be all over that.

I'll freely admit, I'm an Re4 babby, but the old games look really cool and interesting, but the controls and the aiming look like they would eat away from the fun for me.

I quite liked Gaiden in concept (gfx and music was topnotch for Gbc), but the combat looks super duper tedious.
>>
>>2150856
>but without changing up anything else

That's the thing, they'd have to change everything for it to work.
>>
>>2150735
>but even with those small pics you can see the difference with the models and the backgrounds

Not really. You've got confirmation bias. You see the differences you want to see. All I can really see from those pics is the difference in aspect ratio.
>>
>>2150925

Yeah man the resolution makes chris' dome look like a cinderblock instead of a head

I swear the fuckers on this board are retarded on purpose
>>
>>2150283
>>2150306
Why the fuck would you want to play REmake with the RE1 voices? It doesn't fit in with the serious mood they're trying to set up in that game.
>>
>>2150856
>Re4 style movement control, weapon aiming, and suitcase inventory

Those are fundamental gameplay issues. You can't change them without drastically affecting everything else.

Its a good direction, mind you. 2 and 3 and all the spinoffs all get progressively more action oriented as the focus moves from conserving ammo to dealing with how enemies move, but tweaking it to work for the original trilogy would basically amount to slapping an action gameplay on to a conservation game, basically putting half the complaints about 6 in to the game. (no ammo, bullet sponge enemies, reliance on stuns-to-melee)
>>
>>2150863
>>2150946
>You can't change them without drastically affecting everything else.
This. RE2 and 3 used 2D backgrounds.
>>
>>2150934
All I can tell from the pic in >>2150225 is that left Chris sports what looks like a flat top and right Chris has Hitler face. Also, left has more proper proportions and right looks closer to Beefy McLargehuge.
>>
>>2150953
The skin tones actually look more realistic in the right pic as the PS1 looks its typically washed-out self.
>>
>>2146673
I've always wondered what the FUCK is going on in this coverart.
The face, the gun, the bizarre mirrored background.
>>
>>2150952
I wouldn't see the 2D backgrounds being too much of a problem. Just build a 3D environment replica. 3 would more or less involve the least amount of changes, since it was basically run-and-gun with your choice of weaponry anyway.

2 was a bit different in that its combat is basically centered around sacrificing inventory space for firepower. The only enemies that were any trouble at all were lickers, spiders, and plants, and that's mostly because they either spit or were difficult to kill in one shot. Spiders barely belong up there because they're so easy to avoid, just memorable enough to be a pain dealing with.
>>
>>2150961
All the colours look much better on Saturn imo
fav version is fav version
>>
File: Resident Evil Promo.jpg (976KB, 1369x2319px) Image search: [Google]
Resident Evil Promo.jpg
976KB, 1369x2319px
>>2150964
The cover art was basically a traceover of a Judge Dredd publicity still that was a modified to make Chris look less like Stallone's character as possible.
>>
>>2151058
And then, in a bizarre bit of foreshadowing, they added symmetrical silhouettes of birds and spiders.

No sharks, though. Disappointing.
>>
File: 500full.jpg (73KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
500full.jpg
73KB, 500x281px
>>2151058
And here's the still in question.
>>
>>2151058
>government bio-technology
>government

>>2150964
I heard the gun was a mix between 2 guns
>>
>>2150856
>Honestly, if they remade, or only even rereleased RE1 to RE3, but with Re4 style movement control, weapon aiming, and suitcase inventory, but without changing up anything else (except perhaps burn the inkribbon concept at the stake), I'd be all over that.

This is why it's probably best these games never get remade again. Capcom and I guarantee the majority of people would want this and this is the absolutely wrong way to go.

For one they would have to make the game far bigger with more enemies since it will become way too easy. After having played RE4 again a couple years ago I realized how overrated that game was. It's still a great masterpiece sure but it's definitely still a bit overrated for what it truly is. Lastly I find it sad that many (not saying you) don't seem to get or even care why the old RE games worked well the way they did. The so called "shitty camera" and "tank controls" added so much to the old games that to remake 2 or 3 without them is a massive disservice to the games. In fact I would even say it's a massive disrespect to the hard work put into making those games great. It's also a spit in the face to fans of the old games. True fans imo would be perfectly satisfied with the games as they were. If it needs to be remade then I see no reason to remake them as close to the original vision as posssible.

It's so damn sad that in today's age this even has to be discussed like this. It truly shows how samey modern games have become. It shows that tank control RE really isn't up to "today's standards."
>>
I played the english version without auto-aim. Really sucks though, so many wasted bullets, especially with the more agile enemies.

What the fuck was even the point of tyrant? He is the weakest boss by far.
>>
>>2153291
Intimidation more than anything, I guess. Didn't it only take 15 handgun shots to down him in his first appearance? That's only about twice as much as it takes to kill a zombie (they usually take five to seven shots, for me), which is hilarious.
>>
>>2153294
They load you with magnum rounds anyway before the fight. The lab is probably the easiest part of the game too.
>>
>>2153296
Yeah, it's definitely not as tense as the mansion, especially once the Hunters start showing up. It's kind of a shame the Chimeras are only right at the very end of the game, because they could've been used pretty well in some other areas.
>>
>>2153298
The hunter part is the best part of the game. It burned away my ink ribbons and munition. You also get your savior, the magnum, which is somewhat a glorious moment in every Resident Evil.
>>
That gold Tyrant in the Saturn version's battle mode is pretty damn tough compared to the normal Tyrant. Though, even though he takes like 20 magnum rounds to kill, he still doesn't run after you. So, all you have to do is run around the room, taking potshots at him while he slowly lumbers toward you.
>>
>>2153303
Probably my favorite part, as well. You had to completely reconsider how you play the game at that point, because Hunters were actually a threat. I know it'd probably be easier to just ignore most of the Hunters, and go wherever you're supposed to, but I kind of made it my personal mission to kill all of them.
>>
>>2153294
>Didn't it only take 15 handgun shots to down him in his first appearance?

Yeah, but most people don't know that and usually use the magnum. it actually takes almost as much magnum rounds to kill him than beretta bullets.

I think it's part of the dev's way to always give an "other way" to go with bosses with most of the game. The only bosses you have to kill with bullets are the 2nd snake encounter and the first Tyrant; but for the first Tyrant you can easily use the beretta.
Even the spider boss you don't have to kill, you can even make her destroy her own webs with her spit which is amazing.

Fun fact: in the PC version of the game, the devs who ported the game added a hidden beretta clip at the back of the room for the player to pick up (you can't see it on screen, but it's the shadows in the corner near the door). Probably a hint at how you can easily kill him with the beretta. Very few people know this.
>>
>>2153309
I carefully planned which rooms I need to clear. They were pretty agile and there is no greater sin than missing with the magnum.

Thinking back, I never actually killed a single spider in Resident Evil 1.
>>
>>2153313
>Even the spider boss you don't have to kill, you can even make her destroy her own webs with her spit which is amazing.
mfw
>>
So what was the deal with the Crimson Head-ish zombie in the kitchen? Very fast and strong, yet we never encounter another one like it for the rest of the game.
Go to 2:17 to see what I'm talking about (Warning: terrible music inbound)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lgdUH9TJnQ
>>
Lots of people say REmake but while actually being better than RE, I consider them to be completely different games.

I would go with directors cut non dual shock.
>>
>>2153616

Just to keep the player on their toes, it was a nice wake up call during a sort of boring moment.
>>
>>2153616
the terrible ps2 filtered graphics really fit the awful music, know what am i saying?
>>
>>2153616
Wasn't there a version where zombies could switch rooms or open doors?
>>
>>2150942
Because some RE fans actually like that nonsense. I thought the original RE had funny voice acting back in the day but i wanted to see the game get better in all aspects and that included the VA too, they started to stray away from it with RE2 and 3 but the stupid cheese found it's way back in and went ass backwards in CV and RE Zero.
>>
>>2153964
Arrange mode had many different things.

-the key item placement is completely different
-enemies deal more damage and take more bullets to kill
-more enemies
-ink ribbons have 3 saves instead of 2
-ammo placement varies
-different costumes
>>
File: yareyare.jpg (259KB, 977x596px) Image search: [Google]
yareyare.jpg
259KB, 977x596px
The original Resident Evil has some pretty solid remakes, but what about...
Resident Evil 2?
>>
File: 1372654326647s.jpg (8KB, 246x232px) Image search: [Google]
1372654326647s.jpg
8KB, 246x232px
>limited saves in a puzzle game

The reason I haven't started playing it yet. I finished Alone in the Dark (great game) and wanted to go right to this but fuck it, I'll play Silent Hill.
>>
The one that sadly isn't /vr/
>>
>>2154032
This made me panic so much as a kid and then I just fucking played it.
And guess what, it's not even a big deal.
>>
File: 46957769_p7_master1200.jpg (206KB, 700x714px) Image search: [Google]
46957769_p7_master1200.jpg
206KB, 700x714px
>>2154032
Don't worry about limited saves, if you're that scared then save-scum with an emulator.
>>
directors cut
NOT dualshock because
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kcF7E69C6Q
>>
>>2154056
>it's not even a big deal
I had two times where I was out of ink ribbons. The first time right before the guardian house boss leading to the hunters. I somehow struggled trough it and could find ink ribbons and the magnum which was like an angel kissing me in a hopeless situation.

The second time was right before getting to the tunnels filled with hunters leading to the spider. I was out of healing items too. This part also caused me to stop playing for months. Eventually I grew some balls, running trough the hunter infested tunnels, fighting and fleeing my way trough it which lead to me having dangerous low health at the spider boss. Thankfully simply running around it made it open the door.

I survived and thankfully they loaded you with bullets, healing items and ink ribbons. The final part was easy in general, so I was able to push myself trough it and beat it. Limited saves really improved the game, it was truly survival horror in the truest sense of the word. The game design and atmosphere are really god tier.
>>
>>2154217
>
Kids my age don't listen to this music, instead they prefer bieber and miley cyrus. This generation sucks! They don't know what real music is. The 90's were better, today's music sucks.

I laughed, I admit it.
>>
>>2154358
The late 80's early 90's were best
>>
>>2154032
Resident Evil games give you a FUCKLOAD of ribbons throughout the game.

They probably did that just so you wouldn't savescum after every little tussle. I think on average, my first time through each classic RE game had me saving about 15-20ish times. You'll be fine.

Maybe it's the way that I play RE, but I could almost make the argument that limited ink ribbons don't make the game any more tense because I always seem to finish with 10 or more.
>>
>>2154217
I'm still floored that this passed whatever Capcom had as quality control back then.

Like if I was the project manager and asked you to make some spooky music, I would have laughed in your face if you brought me this.

What's worse is that they had music that was already finished from the original version of RE1 and they STILL included this ear fart fuckery.
>>
>>2154454
the composer was someone who was pretending to be deaf and using ghostwriters
>>
The original resident evil will always be the best
>>
>>2151058
I haven't seen this in ages.. much obliged anon!
>>
>>2153586
I made a video of this (it's a knife only run of RE1 as Chris, with autoaim); if you want to see the part with the spider boss
it's on livestream dot com
/survivalhorror/video?clipId=pla_cf97a88a-f135-42c2-9a1f-1592b995f68f

spider boss at around 1h06mins

(I also tried to show tons of different things which sometimes failed in this video; for instance when you're standing on those small elevators outdoors, the dogs can't get to you and with the right timing you can knife them. Also the 2 spiders in the east corridor downstairs when the mouse is full of hunters, if you stand in between two of those furnitures, they can't hit you either and you can knife them... but I kinda failed in that video)
>>
not op
different question
given the option, would you rather play Remake on a Cube or Wii with a CRT, or the new hd remaster of Remake on an hd tv?
>>
>>2154737
The new HD remaster seems to have quite a lot of new stupid things. For instance the option of a "16:9" mode that actually crops the image at the top and bottom, but makes the background move while you're moving... and the option to have non tank controls
All that is pretty stupid but thank god it's optional.

Then we can't tell for sure but it does seem to look a lot better indeed; and apparently sound too. AND, it's coming on PC which is a huge plus. I'll probably buy it (again.... after buying the original GC version and the Wii rerelease; though I bought both used)
>>
RE6 is best, best graphix imho
>>
>>2154454
I wonder if it was some sort of placeholder track that was used by accident in the final game.
>>
>>2151104
Well, the rear, where he's gripping, looks like it could be an M16 (though lacking the carry handle), the forward part would look to be some kind of shotgun.

The middle part of the gun is really weird, I'm not sure how to describe it, like maybe a really stretched out and elongated Uzi receiver (an inexplicably large Uzi), and then the M16 and shotgun being welded to this, and then someone rubbing and smudging the photo as much as possible so that the gun is impossible to discern.
>>
>>2154528
I think you got it backwards. Wasn't he deaf and posing as some modern day Beethoven?

>>2154762
An accident is the only explanation that makes sense.
>>
>>2154762
It's been claimed that that was the only track he actually worked on in the game, it's pretty obvious in my opinion when you take the rest of the OST into account, let alone Onimusha.
>>
>>2154743
>Resident Evil post 4
>Best at anything
>>
>>2157795
>>Resident Evil 6

>Best Resident Evil at using a Deviljho from Monster Hunter 3 model and skeleton as a boss fight
>>
I think turning the FMV footage black and white actually did it a service.
>>
>>2157967
Chris' face gets me every time.
>>
>>2157986
Chris smells the devil
>>
question:

I remember getting a rip of RE1:DC almost a decade or so ago on my PC, which had full-color, uncensored cutscenes and all the bonus content, without the terri-bad soundtrack of the "Dual Shock edition". Any idea which version this might've been, and where the hell could I re-acquire it?

I found a fan-made custom mix that at least had color intro, but it was all choppy and lowquality.
>>
question:

I remember getting a rip of RE1:DC almost a decade or so ago on my PC, which had full-color, uncensored cutscenes and all the bonus content, without the terri-bad soundtrack of the "Dual Shock edition". Any idea which version this might've been, and where the hell could I re-acquire it?

I found a fan-made custom mix that at least had color intro, but it was all choppy and lowquality.
>>
File: jklölkjh.jpg (8KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
jklölkjh.jpg
8KB, 480x360px
>>2157967
How many of you genuinely suspected Johnny Bravo the first time you played the game? Be honest.
>>
>>2158407
RE1:DC on PC? Either it was emulation, or you're remembering it wrong.
If it exists, I'd love to see it though (I know someone has started, even maybe finished by now, a Director's Cut mod for the PC version though but that's rather recent)
>>
>>2158510
it was a PS1 ISO, played it on an emulator. And no, I remember looking it up on purpose back then, but my old PC literally died ages ago.
>>
Definitively PC version. All console versions including the Director's Cut are censored while PC remains uncensored.
>>
>>2154025
Nothing really. N64 version had a few minor differences. Gamecube port is based on the PC version I think?

No official remake, probably ever because Capcom. Some one was trying to make one in Fallout 3 but I think it died. There was another one in the works in a different game that's also dead. Only other thing I've heard is that RE 1.5 team, but it's been a while since any updates I think.
>>
>>2154025
I wanted this new reremake to be re2 so bad
>>
>>2159190
both the gc and pc versions are based on ps1's dual shock release
>>
File: redcds.jpg (40KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
redcds.jpg
40KB, 640x480px
Director's Cut, non-dual shock. SLUS-00551

Play Advanced Mode for the actual director's cut.
It's not actually harder than the original. They just added different camera angles, default costumes, and changed the item placement.

If you save everyone (perfect ending), you get the infinite colt python.
>>
>>2158795
>censored

Just the intro movie. You can watch that shit on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUtaxyA6W2o

It's not like Jill or Rebecca flash polygon tits or anything.

>>2158414
>Any idea which version this might've been, and where the hell could I re-acquire it?

Sounds like the emuparadise fan edit. I still have my iso somewhere that I got from underground-gamer (RIP).
>>
>>2159268
>that cheesy rock music and that cheesy roll-call
>Chris lighting a smoke and being generally badass
>Rebecca being qt
>Barry being /k/
>Wesker slicking his hair

Part of me kind of wishes they'd revisit the super cheap B movie charm of this, if just for a strictly non-canon game.
>>
>>2150946
>>2150863
>>2150856
What about just updating the forklift controls, and have an option in the menu to allow for RE4 style laser, if only to give newbs a better clue of where they're aiming.
>>
>>2146673
>>2146673
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0MPySDJc8o
I'm just going to leave that here.
>>
>>2154032
there's ribbons everywhere and the puzzles are babby tier if you're into puzzle games
>>
>>2154032
back then i figure they gave you a ribbon every time you find a new typewriter, so if you just save once at every typewriter you'll be fine

I do think it's bad design, though
>>
>>2159404
Not as bad as the save tokens in Dragon Quarter
>>
>>2159406
>Nothing is as bad as Dragon Quarter

I fixed that for you.
>>
>>2159419
I like the game, I just don't like the idea of making an RPG where you have to ration on your saving.
>>
>>2159425
>ration on your saving
And special abilities. You also have to play the game over and over to actually get the full story.

So many things were done badly with that game. I really liked the combat though.
>>
>>2159446
I enjoyed it a great deal but it should have been its own game because it killed off Breath of Fire and people bitched it wasn't like the others.
>>
File: Breath-of-Fire-VI-2.jpg (109KB, 614x345px) Image search: [Google]
Breath-of-Fire-VI-2.jpg
109KB, 614x345px
>>2159448
There's always Breath of Fire 6!
>>
>>2159457
That is depressing to look at after how gorgeous Breath of Fire IV and V looked
>>
File: fgt.jpg (30KB, 615x409px) Image search: [Google]
fgt.jpg
30KB, 615x409px
>>2159461
>tfw you realise it's an mobile mmo
>>
>>2159485
Still awful. It looks like a Ragnarok Online clone trying to cash on the Breath of Fire name
>>
>>2159491
Looks way more like Maple Story than RO. Don't soil my wonderful RO with this trash :'

On topic I'd go with Saturn RE for the extra content. Though I'm biased because I'm a born-again Saturn Autist.
>>
>>2150297
>i guess nostalgia really is that powerful.
You do realise what board this is, don't you?
>>
>>2159373
Ok, if the author ever releases the source code to this, someone NEEDS to recreate RE1 in it. RE1 is so fucking hard to get to run on Windows 7.
>>
>>2159551
The one where people act elitist about shit quality?
>>
>>2159714
>Ok, if the author ever releases the source code to this, someone NEEDS to recreate RE1 in it. RE1 is so fucking hard to get to run on Windows 7.

So... get a fucking PS3 or a playstation and buy a hard copy. 9.99 on PSN dude.

I can't stand when people basically demand someone else make some shit for a problem literally 1 person had. Either learn how to do it yourself, or just buy a fucking hard copy.
>>
File: biohazard_specialcostume_back.jpg (116KB, 383x336px) Image search: [Google]
biohazard_specialcostume_back.jpg
116KB, 383x336px
>>2159254
I love this costume so much. It's the best for Jill.
The best for Chris is in the Saturn version.

>>2159714
Running RE1 on PC is all luck. It depends not just on your OS but also on your computer. I remember getting it to actually run perfectly in 7, at the right speed, even though it ran at 150% speed on a less powerful computer with XP.
>>
File: ThuSep1715-52-542009.jpg (36KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
ThuSep1715-52-542009.jpg
36KB, 640x480px
>>2159373
What's this? A RE2 mod I guess?

RE2 on PC got some pretty fun mods, like Requiem of Spies.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1K0Qkd13Zw

RE1 has a mod that lets you play as Barry which is a lot of fun too. Sadly, unlike Requiem of Spies which changes enemy and item placement, Barry's mod only changes character models, the weapon you start with, and dialogues; but at least the dialogues are hilarious
>>
>>2159760
>not wanting an easy way to play remastered RE1 with quick turn and all improvements from the other games
Also the PSN version is the dualshock edition, fuck that.
>>
>>2159797
>>not wanting an easy way to play remastered RE1 with quick turn and all improvements from the other games
Also the PSN version is the dualshock edition, fuck that.

You get RE1 on DS for that. Quick turn, RE4-style knife, you can skip cutscenes AND doors, all new and shiny 3D models, etc
It works great on emulation, too.
>>
File: 1343943402560.png (34KB, 1000x500px) Image search: [Google]
1343943402560.png
34KB, 1000x500px
>>2159734
It's the one where people will have actually been around to play the game when it was released, therefore understanding the context behind the "fucked up" voice-acting and controls.

Also, just because you disagree doesn't mean others are being 'elitist'. So quit playing the victim, kiddo.
>>
>>2150297
>Why people like those awful VA that was never intentional to begin with is beyond me

Except the VA was always intentional. They deliberately asked the pro voice actors to speak like that, because in the mid 90's that was the idea of how English language should be spoken by Japanese people, for Japanese people.

And it's not just Resident Evil, it's every game at the time.
>>
>>2159825
You mean Silent Hill? I always wondered what was wrong with them VAs, they read their lines like first graders. Now it makes a lot of sense, but that and the dramatic pauses (so they could load the dialogue I assume) completely ruined the immersion for me. Or made it even more scary.

Either way, amazing game. I wish they made an unadulterated JP dub, which I understand was actually done for RE1, but it got completely unused.
>>
>>2159825
Proof?
>>
>>2159838
The funny thing is I hate Japanese voice acting normally, and it was actually better than the English version (though I love the English version for the cheesiness factor). I love how they decided to not go with it because they thought it was bad. The other reason that makes more sense is that Americans don't speak Japanese.
>>
>>2159825
>Except the VA was always intentional.

Please, do NOT spread misinformation.

Some time ago the director in charge of the voice acting admitted that it was his fault that they spoke so slowly and unaturally.

And the reason for that was because he and the staff couldn't understand them when they spoke at normal speed as it felt like a mess of words to them.

Personally that was pretty dumb but totally Japanese reasoning, they didn't know English anyway so who cared, but they were all amateurs (especially the staff). And I still think that the only actual reason they went with English and aborted the Japanese voices was because they could actually understand the jp voices, which sound just as shit as the original English track.

And to that guy who likes to post >citation needed, go look it up on google.
>>
>>2159839
Interviews of voice actors who voiced jap games at the time.

>>2159846
What you're saying is pretty much what I said. I said "their idea of how English should sound to Jap people".
It is intentional if they ask people to speak in a manner that's more understandable to people who don't speak English, and/or corresponds more to the idea of the English language people who don't speak it have of it.
>>
>>2159853
>What you're saying is pretty much what I said.

Well, shit.

Take that as reinforcing your point then.
>>
>>2159853
They could have gone all "go on, I trust you to do your own thing since you do English better than we do", or they could have hired someone who speaks better English than they do to direct the VA, but they didn't, and deliberately asked the VAs to sound 'retarded' (to the level of high school grade English lessons) so they and other people who don't speak English understand it better. That's totally intentional.
Maybe they even thought it'd be better for the majority of people in Japan (and also in European countries) because the majority doesn't speak English; especially not kids who play video games.
>>
>>2159714
>>2159784
It is a brand new engine both compatible with PS1 and PC.
The designer, the renown programmer Gemini, currently is occupied with two different projects. A remake of Gun Survivor with classic RE angles like the original games, and a RE1 variation of extreme battle mode like the ones we saw on RE2 and Saturn RE1.
I told him that it would be great if he could port RE1 into his egine, I hope he does.
In any case, check out his thread:
http://www.the-horror.com/forums/showthread.php?10508-Resident-Evil-Behind-the-Mask
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8Ued8jBzis
And yes, the picture is from the SS version of RE1 featuring one of the three exclusive enemies, the Tick!
>>
>>2159865
>the picture is from the SS version of RE1 featuring one of the three exclusive enemies, the Tick!

Did somebody just rip the 3D models from the game? Dayum
>>
>>2159865
Ah yeah I've heard of that; but like I've said I won't get excited until it gets released, like for RE1.5. Hundreds of RE projects of every kind got started, and only a couple ever got finished.
>>
>>2159873
If the author doesn't finish it and is a good person, he could always release the source code. It wouldn't be illegal since it's all from scratch, right?
>>
>>2159875
He's using copyrighted material like the models etc though

I don't think legality is the problem here, and all the most interesting RE projects diseappeared off the face of the internet (websites and forum accounts and threads deleted all together etc) without warning, like that RE2 mod that was a whole new game I can't remember the name of.
>>
>>2159878
This one, the re2 remake?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nagfeQ74n68

Not that I care for these kinds of projects but your comment got me worried that capcom was suddenly sending c&d's to everyone

I do like that 1.5 restoration mod though, good stuff even if its not really playable.
>>
>>2159872
He did. Including the "Grant Bitman" costume.
>>2159873
If you mean that he could possible be a fraud, he isn't. His team is going to release a playable demo within the month, in addition you can see all of their progress on their youtube channel here.
https://www.youtube.com/user/geminimewtwo/videos
>>
>>2159872
>>
>>2159878
Just the engine could be released like every other source code release perhaps.
>>
>>2159881
Not this, I couldn't care less about that.

It was a RE2 mod (a mod based on RE2), I think it was called Nightmare something but I could be wrong. Made by a single guy, it was supposed to be a whole new RE with new chars, new monsters, all new environments (he draw his own backgrounds and even succeeded in changing the hit detection in game to tell where there were walls and where there weren't, the only thing he couldn't change was camera angles, but he could tell which room led to where so it wouldn't look too obvious it's the same angles as in RE2). The thing was very promising but it diseappeared at one point.
There was a very promising RE3 mod as well that diseappeared, very interesting because RE3 is VERY hard to mod to its programmed semi randomness factors.

>>2159883
I'm not saying he's a 'fraud'. A project may stop for many reasons. There are frauds, yes, but there are also motivation and time restrictions, people who actually never intended to finish the thing and just liked to show beta stuff to get some good ass licking on forums, and there is always the possibility of C&D too.

>>2159895
The engine might be least interesting thing. I'm sure one could probably do a RE type game in Build using EDuke32 for instance, I bet it would even possible to do it with 2D backgrounds.
>>
>>2159916
He and his team has finished several projects already. Here's some of them
http://www.romhacking.net/translations/1427/
http://www.romhacking.net/translations/1249/
http://www.romhacking.net/translations/1214/
>C&D
Well he's from southern Europe like I am, and that stuff doesn't mean a thing to us. Nobody is going to persecute him in Italy, nor he's going to take legal action against him.
C&D papers are as good as toilet papers.
>>
>>2159916
It's sort of unrelated but I managed to recreate RE doors in GZDoom. If I could find a way to record it, I could turn it into a webm.
>>
>>2159923
use fraps ma man, i wanna see that shit
>>
>>2159920
Doing a translation and an entire game is very different.
Anyway, just saying RE fans are used not to see mods and fan games come out.
I'd love to play that and RE1.5

>>2159923
Doors are easy, you can easily rip the textures and even more easily the sounds. The hardest is probably the character models, I remember I ripped the models easily but I would have had to re-do all the animations from scratch.
>>
>>2159930
If you check out the thread I posted earlier or his youtube channel, you're going to see how much stuff he made the past year.
I know that you have been let down by other moders and programmers quite a few times, we all have.
It's just they're not the same story as the others were.
>>
How's this version

http://theisozone.com/downloads/pc/windows-games/reside-evil/
>>
>>2159925
How about I upload the wad somewhere? Just let me make a few revisions to it (since I made it a LONG time ago) and tell me where to put it.
>>
File: SURPRISE!.png (37KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
SURPRISE!.png
37KB, 1600x1200px
>>2159942
Here's a reference to RE2 in the meantime.
>>
>>2159419
>>2159406
Didn't Dai-Katana have a limited save system like that as well? Save gems or something was it.

I'm fine with limited save slots and stuff in older games, limited space on cassettes and cartridges and what not, I understand that, and I'm fine with only being able to save at save-points and stuff like that.

But having an actual limit to how many times you can save, that just seems to me like... like... a-artificial d-d-iffic-ulty
I'm sorry, I know that's a word that's very easy to abuse and it's used as an excuse by the scrubbest of scrubs for the dumbest things, but it's just how I feel about it, either it's so many save tokens that the system doesn't matter in the first place, or they're given sparsely, as if to make it a resource you have to monitor, and I don't think saving your game should be a resource you have to weigh when playing the game.
Saving your game should just be saving your game.
>>
>>2146673
Sweet Home
>>
>>2160030
>either it's so many save tokens that the system doesn't matter in the first place

If you look at the number of ink ribbons in RE1 in a "scientific" way, yeah, sure, there is so many that one might think the whole thing is pointless.
But that's why looking at things in such a 'scientific' way simply by looking at the numbers out of context is wrong. It does make a difference because : you get them little by little, so you have enough to save anytime you want to take a break, but not enough that it's worth it to savescum in order to perform better. (Being able to savescum would ruin a good part of survival gameplay).
Also, even managing those saves is part of the survival gameplay : "hmm I have 3 ribbons left, so I can use 1 now, one a bit later or if I want to take a break; and I'll keep one in case of emergency or by then I'll probably have found another one". etc
Also, you have to look for the ribbons, which adds to the whole adventure AND survvial aspect of the game, it adds to the exploration and to its reward.

It's just like ammunition. In RE1, if you look at the numbers alone, there is enough ammo to kill every single enemy (as long as you don't waste it too much). It's survival not so much because of the ammount, but because of how and when you get said ammo.
Same for ribbons.
>>
>>2159815
>Resident Evil 3
>worrying about ammo
>>
>>2160049
That's what i thought when i saw RE3 Jill

Instead of worrying about ammo i was only worried about one thing: making sure of destroying all zombies and monsters in the most gruesome way with the coolest guns available

my fav RE btw, love how its old school RE but action oriented
>>
>>2160045
>In RE1, if you look at the numbers alone, there is enough ammo to kill every single enemy
You get a shitload of ammo at the lab. So much that you have lots of unused ammo at the end of the game although at the hardest parts in the game you may had very dire situations regarding ammo. Same with the ink ribbons at the end. There is also the high possibility that you will miss tons of ammo and ink ribbons in your first playtrough. The Resident Evil survival horror magic is only really completely intact in the first playtrough and loses a bit in every further playtrough. Also loses a huge chunk of the survival magic in every further Resident Evil game in the main series.
>>
I played now Resident Evil 2's Leon A and Claire A. Why the fuck is there nothing as deadly as the hunters in RE1?
>>
>>2160065
>May b cuz ppl complained an teh staf listend
So like what happened with RE6 and what they promise for 7.
>>
>>2160065
>2. You will not post any of the following outside of /b/: Trolls, flames, racism, off-topic replies, uncalled for catchphrases, macro image replies, indecipherable text (example: "lol u tk him 2da bar|?"), anthropomorphic ("furry") or grotesque ("guro") images, post number GETs ("dubs"), or loli/shota pornography.
>>
>>2160072
sry mang
Thread posts: 182
Thread images: 24

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.