[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Which games introduced "better" megas, XY or ORAS?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 5

File: Untitled.png (1MB, 835x833px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
1MB, 835x833px
Which games introduced "better" megas, XY or ORAS?
Better can mean whatever you want it to mean.
>>
>>25079153

Neither, honestly. Megas were an unnecessary addition to the game.
>>
>>25079153
XY.
>>
I would say ORAS's have the highest average design quality, but Lopunny's makes me feel gross
>>
>>25079153
If you're talking about designs, then XY

Too many ORAS Megas look mega retareded.

>Don't know what they were thinking with Sharpedo
>Slowbro is just lazy
>As is Sableye's
>Glalie's concept is good but with poor execution
>What the fuck is Steelix
>Latios and Latias sharing the same design for whatever reason
>Camerupt Why.jpg
>>
>>25079153
ORAS megas made be like the concept of mega evolution.
>>
>>25079153
Salamence doesn't even look like it Mega Evolved in that image
>>
File: 1401363746130.png (98KB, 429x410px) Image search: [Google]
1401363746130.png
98KB, 429x410px
>>25079153
>which game had thing you liked better

I personally liked game
>>
>>25079153
I think the ORAS designs were all executed way better. The only ones I really view as being poor are Sharpedo(who mysteriously lost the bone spikes in-game), and the Lati's. The rest do exactly what a Mega should do - take a Pokemon's core strengths or design cues, and then enhance them. Camerupt gets a bigger volcano. Swampert gets more bulk. Steelix becomes more pure, Slowbrow finally begins to realize that he might be in trouble. These are all really solid ideas, and they're executed in a simple and clean way. I think that's the biggest factor between them, the X/Y designs overall are much more clean. They didn't just tack on spikes and stripes like with Tyrannitar and Garchomp, they expanded on the core attributes of each Pokemon, and then left it there.

X/Y was definitely the testing grounds, but ORAS is where GF is starting to hit their stride. If Oras sets the precedent for mega evolution in the future, then this was definitely the right direction to move in.
>>
>>25079153
Most of my favorite Megas are from XY (Houndoom, Pinsir, Blastoise) but both are.... fine.
>>
>ORAS
Great implementation of mega stones. You can compe using beedrill and win. Awesome upgrades for Hoenn native Pokemon

>X/Y
Better replay value and more useful gift megas like Lucario M, and the Kanto starters
>>
>>25079485
>If Oras sets the precedent for mega evolution in the future, then this was definitely the right direction to move in.
Christ no
>>
Yfw slowbro doesn't mega evolve, Shelder does.
>>
>>25079544
You will buy Pokemon Stadium 3 on release day and enjoy it for hours in full NX specs with network features, you will use megas
>>
Why do Mega Pokemon constantly sharper chins

>Sharpedo
>Steelix
>Aerodactyl
>Garchomp
>Metagross
>Blastoise
>Aggron

Is it in the genes?
>>
>>25079564
The problem isn't the Megas. Anon said GameFreak were in the right direction with ORAS' Megas, and I said no. There are a lot of poorly designed Megas in ORAS

>Sharpedo
>Steelix
>Latis
>Sableye
>Slowbro
>>
>>25079575
I think I agree that sharpe do should have kept it's niche, but eevee are able to evolve into Leafeon and Glaceon, I don't think this is any different
>>
>>25079153

A good portion of the X/Y megas were just ...for lack of a better word "pimped out" versions of the pokemon they were expanding upon. They just took some obvious features on the subject and made them flashier (ie lucario, tyranitar, venusaur, charizard Y).

The ORAS megas all look like the pokemon actually evolved further (except the lati twins and audino, those suck). Metagross and Gallade in particular really took their concepts to the next level (steelix also stands out to me as a great concept (his body hardening even further, hence the gem segments and sharper body all around) but I just can't get over how bad it is in game).

There aren't a whole lot of mega designs I downright hate but if we're talking about the pokemon actually evolving further I'd like to see more stuff like Glalie and Camerupt and less stuff like Tyranitar and Lucario.

From a gameplay standpoint I think the vast majority of them were poorly executed but that applies to pokemon as a whole too....so it's not really a complaint about mega evolution specifically.
>>
>>25079153
Groudon and Kyogre are not megas right?
>>
>>25079593
But the Latis data was in xy
>>
XY for having Electric type megas. Electric is my favorite type.
>>
>>25079312
Slowbro's is great though. Now Sharpedo is shit as is M Lopunny.
>>
File: 1431361405674.png (724KB, 901x903px) Image search: [Google]
1431361405674.png
724KB, 901x903px
>>25079312

I really wish ignorant people would just stop posting.

Sharpedo becomes more streamlined, gains retractable teeth on its snout so it can actually ram into shit like a torpedo and also evokes a sawtooth shark, and more scars.
>if it's not a muscle evo covered in spikes it's lazy
Steelix's shovel jaw turns into a bulldozer blade. The steel/ground typing gives it a "core of the earth" motif, hence the crystals erupting from the pressure in its body, and the metal shards that they broke orbiting its gravitational pull.
Camerupt gets longer fur like a Bactrian camel, with a more volcanic shape overall.
>>
File: 1442327128404.gif (524KB, 320x239px) Image search: [Google]
1442327128404.gif
524KB, 320x239px
>>25079593
>Steelix
>Sableye
>Slowbrow
>Poorly designed

Are you kidding? I mean, this whole discussion is subjective, but Steelix is one of the most well designed Pokemon in the set. You're crazy, anon.
>>
>>25079153
I'd have to say that OR/AS had better megas desu
>>
Mega Beedrill and Lopunny got everything they could have dared to wish for, and more. Two utterly terrible (competitively) mons turn into complete badasses, and they both have fantastic designs too; Beedrill's in particular is perfection.

Mega Sharpedo, on the other hand.... Honestly? I would've been happier if they just slapped a tail on it and called it a day, rather than the complete MESS mega Sharpedo turned out to be. I hate to say it but it's just downright badly-designed. It's so sad, regular Sharpedo looks reayyl good.
I get the impression they rushed its design in order to get it out in time for ORAS, which they should NEVER do. Now we're stuck with it forever.
>>
>>25080043
Ironically to me sharpedo and steelix look like they just got stuff tacked onto their base form sans the flattened shovel chin. There may have been thought put into the design choices, doesn't mean they're executed properly
>>
>>25079153
There are 9 I like in X/Y, and 8 in ORAS, so X/Y wins, but not by much.
>>
>>25079725

As far as game mechanics are concerned, no...but for all intents and purposes they pretty much are.
>>
Slowbro's mega was bad, he looks depressed in that state. They could have least given it leg holes.
>>
>>25079153
XY definitely, both competitively and design-wise. ORAS only excelled in blunders such as the Primals or le dragons of balance.
>>
>>25079153
ORAS.

If you're not an autist who cares about designs and instead about ability, ORAS megas are far stronger, better, and more well thought out than XY's.

>hurr muh Mega Steelix and Audino
Both are extremely strong ingame and are very prominent threats in their tier of the metagame. "REEL METUGAME" VGC nerds need not apply.

The only one that was actually really stupid was Houndoom, but even then, in XY we had 'le huge power 90 atk', 'le dubbel megas for muh fanservice', and some which barely expanded upon the original mon like Scizor or Blastoise.
>>
>>25079170
This.
>>
File: May and mega swampert.jpg (174KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
May and mega swampert.jpg
174KB, 800x800px
>>25079153

Where is the Gengar picture from?

I liked XY megas better, but some ORAS are fine as well, I just hate that they decided to not give Flygon one (It even turned into a fucking meme)
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.