[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why does Gen II still feel aesthetically pleasing, while Gen

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 5

Why does Gen II still feel aesthetically pleasing, while Gen III feels dated as fuck?

Gen II appreciation thread I guess

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMzC3RpYHGg
>>
>>25076862
FRLG are pretty aesthetically pleasing too
It's just RSE that look dated as fuck
>>
>>25076862
Because of those vibrant colours, without there being too many. It's simplistic and gives off a nice, relaxing vibe.
>>
>>25076862
Because of your personal bias. Gen 3 was the first gen where Pokenon had palletes that matched their actual designs and that's "dated" compared to GS?
>>
Out of all the gens, GSC had the most pastoral setting, which helps make it so comfy to play. The earthy hues and old Japanese architecture accentuate that feeling.
>>
>>25076874

FLRG literally plays like a fan made rom hack remake of RSE.

It feels so improvised, especially the way there's a delay for the "lighting" to turn on when entering buildings.
>>
>>25076862
Gen IV and V feels the most dated to me. These 2.5D graphics were pretty shit, gen V was the worst since it had the most of it.
Gen I also feels dated to me, mostly because its lack of colors besides filters.

Gen II and III still look good to me.
>>
>>25076975
>personal bias

Not really, it's pretty obvious that Gen 2 is simply more aesthetically pleasing -- visualy and sonically so.
>>
>>25076862
>>25077056
Considering Gen II was my introduction to Pokemon, I disagree OP, I think the vibrant colors for R/S looked great for GBA game, I think the tropical environment, the secret bases made R/S/E made a whole of lot comfy. Gen II is comfy but not as comfy as Gen III.
>>
>>25077056
No, you're pretty fucking biased here. Gen II does not look pleasing. At all. It hurts my eyes to look at. The bland color palette, the shitty building design, the wonky sprites, and etc.

Gen II games were alright, but the remakes are infinitely better. They're more soft on the eyes, and make use of the upgraded palette and hardware.
>>
>>25077056

>treating asthetics as objective facts

LOL.
>>
File: aesthetics.png (34KB, 711x397px) Image search: [Google]
aesthetics.png
34KB, 711x397px
>>25077148
Looks like a lot of people who actually know what they're talking about disagree with you, retard.
http://philpapers.org/archive/BOUWDP
>>
>>25077102
After you get surf, I agree with you wholeheartedly, it's beautiful and super relaxing.
The first half of the game is a slog, though.
>>
>>25076993
That has nothing to do with the aesthetics
Thing is RSE look hideous now compared to FRLG
>>
>>25076874
I think Emerald for some reason looks better, but not as nice as FRLG.
>>
>>25076862
It had the best music of any gen by far, rivaled only by gen iv
>>
File: 25fm8no.jpg (67KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
25fm8no.jpg
67KB, 500x500px
>>25076862
I agree with ya' OP. There's just something about Gen II that's so comfy and homey. My first games were Red and Yellow, however, I can and still do play Crystal as often as I can. The Johto region as whole just feels like home to me in a way I can't describe. Perhaps it was just me growing up with the games and enjoying them so much that I grew nostalgia blinders. But there's just something about the aesthetic of Gen II, the simplistic overworld with music that was fitting for any situation. I'm not the best at constructing a coherent paragraph, but I just wanted to get that off my chest. Generation II will always be my favourite.
>>
>>25076862
For starters, it's the trainer sprites. 16-bit can do that to ya.
>>
>>25081023
I will concede that Johto is comfy as fuck. Perhaps it's because of the colors, being the first pokemon game able to make use of them, so it feels old and comfy. I liken RBY to black and white movies, which most the younger generations never experienced, whereas GSC would be like the Wizard of Oz or some other comfy early color movie.

>The Johto region as whole just feels like home to me in a way I can't describe
I feel the same way about Sinnoh. Maybe because I grew up in Wisconsin, so I'm used to fluctuating betwen 100+ degrees in bad summers to -30 degrees with school still. I also liked Kalos, but it was because I was seeing pokemon in 3D for the first time. The whole world felt beautiful. Maybe I'm looking at it from a skewed perspective, since I had a pre-built team that I cheated in and proceeded to roll over the whole game without any semblance of challenge, so I missed the main struggle of the game and could better appreciate the visuals.

I just want Platinum to be beautiful again.

Maybe I thought the visuals were better than they were, but X/Y reminded me of this track.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3VXcML6Hf0
>>
File: gen 1 2 3.png (21KB, 325x192px) Image search: [Google]
gen 1 2 3.png
21KB, 325x192px
>>25076862
because gen 2 had really vibrant colors offset with black outlines and bits of white to really make the colors pop
gen 1 was a similar way, but the colors were a lot subtler and the result looks relatively washed out
gen 3 eschews the full black outlines and unnaturally bright colors for a more realistic look, which while not bad contrasts pretty hard with the more cartoony style that gen 1 used and gen 2 improved

which of these is best is all personal taste, though, obviously, but you can certainly delineate why
>>
>>25077859
Emerald ran on the same engine FRLG did.
>>
>>25076862
I actually think FireRed and LeafGreen were the most aesthetically pleasing. Fixed some of the wonky graphics of RSE, and pre-dated all 3d elements. It comes down to personal opinion whether or not Pokémon is best as a 2d or 3d game, but the gameplay seems best suited to 2d.
Over all, the most important think is design. Pokémon needs to work on that. We need more /comfy/.
>>
File: 1359822248942.png (74KB, 501x496px) Image search: [Google]
1359822248942.png
74KB, 501x496px
It was the first video game I ever played, aside from Tetris and SMB on my dad's old NES.

Much of the fun memories were from me trying to figure out how the fuck to play it
>>
>>25081226
My favourite sprite styles are Gen 1 and Gen 5
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.