[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Which region has the worst starters and why is it Unova?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 6

File: sponge.png (226KB, 500x303px) Image search: [Google]
sponge.png
226KB, 500x303px
Which region has the worst starters and why is it Unova?
>>
>>25051012
Sinnoh

The final forms of the Sinnoh starters grew on me but I still hate their first forms.
>>
>>25051012

It doesn't.
>>
>>25051012
Serperior line, Oshawott and Dewott are cool
The rest are terrible enough to being them as a whole down as the worst gen for starters though
>>
>>25051022
Really? I thought all the Sinnoh starters were super cute.

The first forms of all the Unova starters on the other hands are the only parts of them I like. They all look hideous evolved, with the exception of maybe Serperior. That's the only okay one.
>>
>>25051012
Jotho has the worst starters but Unova is second worse.
>>
>>25051058
Say what you want about the other two but I think the whole Meganium line is very aesthetically pleasing at least.
>>
Unova starters were extremely lame coming off the Sinnoh starters Tbh.
>>
>>25051012
Because they want you to box them and use the other mons.
>>
>>25051012
You misspelled Johto. Oh wow. A discount Venusaur, a fat rug and a generic blue crocodile. How exciting.
>>
>>25051113
Nobody does that though.
>>
>>25051121
>A discount Venusaur

How you see any resemblance between Venusaur and Meganium is beyond me. Did you mean Torterra?
>>
>>25051012
>posts an image of Spongebob trying to stop a fight
>deliberately starts a fight

Sad
I've said this before and I'll say it again. Every gen has at least 1 good starter and at least 1 bad or subpar starter. There is no definitive loser Generation in terms of Starters. Its all purely subjective.
>>
>>25051067
is also boring to play as, seriously monotype starters are usually very bland.
>>
>>25051133
he probably means gameplay wise, meganium has the same bst and distribution minus the much better and fun poison grass typing.
>>
>>25051121
Croc is god you limp dicked fuck.
>>
>>25051133
They're both Flower dinosaurs

>>25051196
Greninja completely blows it out of the water no pun intended
>>
>Sinnoh starters
"Oh wow, neat typing and fun builds! Maybe Game Freak finally got their shit together?"
>Unova starters
"Fuck this gay shit"

Seriously, a bulky Fire Fighting mon, an all-around garbage water mon, and a Grass mon that's awesome in idea but only halfway decent in execution.
>>
>why do people post retarded threads and why is it always some guy called OP
>>
I've come to like Serperior for its endless Leaf Storm ejaculation, but yeah Unova is probably the worst.

>let's do fire/fighting a third time
>let's make the other two monotype
>>
File: 1325532578766.png (15KB, 149x155px) Image search: [Google]
1325532578766.png
15KB, 149x155px
>>25053177

>endless Leaf Storm ejaculation

The other two from Unova are bad, though. Failed prototype Greninja and literally "Infernape but worse"
>>
>>25051022
Sinnoh Starters are some of the best.

If anything, Johto has the worst starters.
>>
>>25053297
I think Johto's designs are top tier but their place in competitive play really hurts them. Then again, Unova's starters have shitty designs AND are terrible competitively so there's that.
>>
>>25051012
HA have recently made w of them more fun but holy shit fuck Unova starters
>Fire/Fighting for the third fucking time in a row, trust me the kids will love it!
>Hey lets make a pure grass type because those are always so useful!
>Hey lets make this slow as balls water type! It'll be like blastoise but worst
Fuck. Unova. Starters.
>>
How many of you were actually on /vp/ when unova starter final evos leaked?

I've never seen so much denail and disappointment.

>I-It's not real! It's a modified Rhyperior sprite!
>That one's a Milotic sprite that's been edited clearly!
>That one's uh, a Dialga maybe?

Not to mention

>Fire/Fighting.
>>
>>25053473
>Fire/Fighting.

Seriously, the typings GF decided on for the Unova starters were literally the worst ones they could possibly choose. I don't even care THAT much about the designs I like Serperior and Emboar ain't bad, but what were they thinking? Was it some sort of sick joke?
>>
>>25053516

I genuinely think they were trying.

>Pure grass type
>Ever going to be good

>Pure water like we've seen done better before

>Fire/Fighting again, except this time it's slow lol

and the designs are terrible.

We were all hopeful for Wotter when he turned into a ninja Otter in his second form then we got a retarded seal with shells all over it for no reason.
>>
>>25053562

*weren't trying

what a critical typo
>>
>>25051012
On hand I hate Oshawatt, but on another hand I hate Chespin and Fennekin.
>>
>>25052826
Venasaur is a fucking frog.
>>
>>25053940
Venusaur's a generic reptilian. It isn't really based on any particular reptile/amphibian/dino.
>>
>>25051012
Actually it's Johto. Cyndaquil looks OK but it's evolutions are lazy and the Chikorita and Totodile lines are literally two of the ugliest families in Pokémon, Totodile especially. Every form looks awful as fuck.
>>
>>25051012

Definitely the worst, how the fuck do we go from a bipedel samurai otter to a quadraped sealion with a unicorn horn?
>>
File: 1449492765813.png (62KB, 663x368px) Image search: [Google]
1449492765813.png
62KB, 663x368px
>>25051012
>>
>>
>>25054751
>Empoleon
>it just gets bigger tier
Blatantly incorrect.
>>
>>25054757
> / my mom's animal
it's just a penguin, but that tier doesn't necessarily mean bad

see: >>25054755
>>
>>25053516
They were making a journey to the west reference over two generations. I'm not kidding.
>>
>>25054761
Pretty bad execution. Goku was a fine reference to JttW without swirls and shapes and lines and bullshit all over him.
>>
>>25054759
But Empoleon is a visual pun that's a cross between an emperor penguin and a literal emperor, with its royal garb body decals and trident horn and steel typing.
>>
>>25051012
>All this monotype hate.
You can do interesting things without having to slap on another type, just look at Serperior or Sceptile. In fact, my least favorite starter had a unique typing, doesn't stop it from being shit.
I mean Empoleon
>>
File: Empoleon2.jpg (26KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
Empoleon2.jpg
26KB, 600x600px
>>25054765
Regardless.

I personally think Empoleon is too busy, not as bad as Emboar or something, but the tux/king thing came across just fine without all the lacey shit all over him.
>>
I had the hardest time wanting any Kalos starter
>>25054772
But it looked like brass knuckles
>>
>>25051012
Final evo wise, they're not horrible, but they're some of the most unremarkable, on par with gen 1's.

Statwise, there's nothing to write home about. Movepool's nothing too special either. Outside Contrary Serperior, there's not much to work with
>>
>>25051012
I love gen V but I agree, the starters are shit.
Serperior without its hidden ability lags behind most other grass types in the region, it's weak as hell.
Emboar is SLOW and all those recoil moves get irritating in game.
Samurott is the best of the three and it's only average and kind of disappointing design-wise after Dewott.
>>
File: 1445037890684.gif (103KB, 458x438px) Image search: [Google]
1445037890684.gif
103KB, 458x438px
>>25054751
>>25054755
Whats with all the hate on Chesnaught? A giant chipmunk juggernaut with a defensive shell pinned to it is pretty cool, and it completely changed in terms of design from its previous evolution.
>>
>>25054755
Hey asshole, you put Blaziken and Infernape in the wrong paces.
Hey asshole you put chenaught and sceptlie in the wrong places.
Hey your taste an shit
>>
>>25053143
Emboar isn't even "bulky", just a hard hitter. Also all of them are pretty trash without their HA (they didn't even released them in the same gen they have introduced the Dream World. Even then Samurott is still a mediocre mixed Feraligatr.

Speaking of Gen 2 which shares the negative record with Gen 5, Johto starters have a very shallow movepool and can't rely on solid coverage. Wish they had more buff and retcons through the gens, Meganium has even less moves than Flareon, can't even learn powder moves and Typhlosion has barely any acceptable way to boost when Charizard has 3 boosting moves and recovery.
>>
>>25051012
God Tier: Kanto, Hoenn, Kalos
Mid Tier: Johto
Shit Tier:Sinnoh, Unova
>>
>>25056377
Also all Unova starters were NU in Gen 5, on both PO and Smogon fanfic metas while Typhlosion was swinging between NU and the tier above, Meganium was again NU and even below and Feraligatr had a respectable niche in OU weather wars. Eventually Emboar followed thr Typhlosion and Charizard (which also had a less solid OU niche) swinging path. Bless Gen 6 for giving it Sucker Punch at least. Oh, and if I remember correctly Unova has the lowest BST of all starters.

I admit I kinda enjoyed using mixed Expert Belt Emboar with Scald to fuck around cores and stall pretending to be choiced. Same with Scarf Torterra.
>>
>>25054751
>not punting Blastoise in it literally gets bigger
>>
>>25056400
Using what classification?
Because Hoenn starters were pretty ugly, Swampert is the only decent competitively wise back then, Blaziken is still ugly since and Torchic needs its mandatory Everstone. Sceptile is still trash since Gen 3 even after getting a mega, in RS it was pure dead weight and major disappointment, terrible sprites over the gens too. Blaziken got better only because "lol random speed boost lmao" which fixed its main weak spot on purpose, design is still hideous. Swampert is the decemt one wih lot of versatility. Also Sinnoh starters are pretty good and were okay in their release gen except for Torterra maybe and got better through gens, they are also perhaps the best starter that depict and fit their nativ region and enviroment (unless we count Kanto which apparently is based on Jurassic Park since 90% of its dex consist of fucking same design dinosaurs and poisonous hazards), have an acceptable design too.
>>
>>25056471
In Gen 3 Sceptile was the best SubSeeder since it was able to pull off offensive presence if you were able to control properly it's health.
Leaf Blade, Leech Seed, Substitue and a coverage Move and the Petaya Berry as held item.
It wasn't top tier, but it was nowhere near of being trash.
Blaziken was on the same boat, it was the only Reversal User that was able to go Mixed thanks to Blaze, and also was the premier SkarmBliss killer. Most teams that relied on both Skarmory and Blissey as defensive cores packed always either fully defensive Suicune / Swampert to sponge Blaziken.
>>
>>25053206
Infernape is already a worse Blaziken anyways, so that makes Emboar even worse than shit.
>>
You're implying that Emboar isn't bro tier
>>
Because they're just hopelessly outclassed by something else.

Only thing Serperior has is Contrary Leaf Storm, but even then, it's not getting past, say, Volcarona.

>>25051058

Samurott is worse than Feraligatr. Wanna know what it has that Samurott doesn't? Dragon Dance. Ice Punch, Crunch, and the Sheer Force ability.

As for Emboar... um, why does it learn Scald?
>>
>>25056536
>comparing infernape to blaziken
That's like comparing Salamence to Haxorus.

>Infernape has:
- insant power
- better mixed versatility
- muh mentun
- 4 viable priorities
- 2 recovery forms
- 5 ways to boost
- instant speed and good base speed for choiced sets
- can be used from the beginning of the game until the end
- has 2 abilities to benefit from
- less predictability
- better coverage
- taunt
- smogon pebbles
- frail
- grass knot
- gunk shot
- rekt by bravest bird

Blaziken and M-Blaziken have:
- outdated reversal
- one slot for predictable protect or the need to risk it with substitute
- can baton pass boosts
- requires specific evsing to deal with common switch ins and eventual hp ice
- has to pick between two risky fighting moves that are variable in power low kick and coin flip kick
- flare blitz sips hp as much as the risky hjk, fire blast can be an option sometimes
- frail
- no recovery
- debatable coverage
- can be outspeed but common scarfed mons or bulky dragons / grounds / water and risking thunder wave or phazing forced to restart the set up with less hp
- sd sweep can be handled with aqua jet or situationally with sash
- knock off
- knock off / shadow claw / stone edge to pick from to deal with either ghosts or bulky psychic or bulky part flying mons
- is usually a late game cleaner or situational lead passer
- rarely a revenge killer because has to play the 50/50 with either protect or opp switching into a check / counter diring that turn since its base speed is mediocre
- pretty ugly tbqh impo but that's an opinion
- rekt by bravest bird

They are very different despite sharing he same type.
>>
>>25051012
Unova without a doubt.
All 3 are hideous through every stage of evolution.
All 3 should be immediately boxed if playing a gen 5 game.
>>
>>25051022
Agreed. Torterra is the only one I'm sorta meh on.
>>
>>25056703
>calling Blaziken ugly
>when comparing it to Infernape

shiggydiggy
Thread posts: 60
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.