[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why was Green never released in the west?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 5

File: Z0045706.jpg (154KB, 819x1023px) Image search: [Google]
Z0045706.jpg
154KB, 819x1023px
Why was Green never released in the west?
>>
>>25042948
Unknown Reasons.
>>
From what I remember, Red and Green in Japan were the first versions, and the sprites in particular were crap. They fixed these for Blue version in Japan, and then released Red and Blue in the west, with Red being updated to have the same sprites and shit as Blue.

So we don't want green here, cause it is shit compared to Blue and our version of Red.
>>
Because Venusaur is the least favorite starter in the west. That or maybe they thought we hate having more than two teams. (democrat/republican, evil/good, sports rivalries, etc)
>>
>>25042967
No. That's a lie.
>>
File: unkown.jpg (36KB, 690x518px) Image search: [Google]
unkown.jpg
36KB, 690x518px
>>25042958
>>
>>25042964
This actually.

The exact reason why they picked Red/Blue is unknown. And why they never bothered to release an updated Green. It's easy to guess though. Pokemon’s release was a clusterfuck.
>>
>>25042967

How would Venusaur be the least favorite starter in the west if the games and anime hadn't even been released there yet?
>>
I legitimately believe it's due to focus testing showing that American kids thought Blastoise and Charizard were really cool and Venusaur was lame.
>>
Red and blue are always paired together and seen as 'rival' colors.
>>
>>25043032
This.
Red and Green might also make Westerners think of Christmas.
>>
>>25043032
Yea, but then we hit the remakes, where they did firered and leafgreen, though honestly, i don't think waveblue or something like that would have worked as well.
>>
>>25042964
This is most notable with the translations.
That guy you trade a Raichu to comments that his Raichu just evolved.
Because in the game they based it on, you gave him an Kadabra instead.
>>
>>25043047
leafgreen was the updated green release in the US>>25043006
>>
>>25043047
Masuda gave the following reasons:
>A leaf is a symbol of peace, while fire and water are opposing concepts and thus would seem more like a conflict. A leaf is also an easier concept to grasp and translate into other languages, and in this world of conflicts, the creators wanted to give a name suggestive of a peaceful world.
>The developers also wanted a colorful drawing of a Bulbasaur family member on the boxart. Masuda explains that, as with legendary Pokémon, creating a title for each Pokémon game that can be used and easily understood in all countries is not an easy task.
Basically plants are nice and easy to understand.
>>
>>25043074
Wow what a copout answer.

He should have just said that they were based off of Red and Green, which were the first Japanese games, whereas Blue in Japan was the 3rd game, which so far they haven't remade any of them in any gen.
>>
>>25043079
This was him explaining why he wanted the "Leaf Green" name kept in the west despite them never having gotten a "Green" back in the day.
>>
Probably a result of focus testing.

Then they remade Green because Pokemon was popular enough to warrant staying true to the source material.
>>
>>25043006
I think Red and Blue are more popular colours so they went with those.
>>
>>25043243
actually a trademark for WaterBlue was made at the time same time FireRed, and LeafGreen were
>>
File: surge.png (21KB, 636x576px) Image search: [Google]
surge.png
21KB, 636x576px
>>25042948
Ameriburgers can't understand a color if it isn't on their flag.
>>
fun fact: Game Freak also trademarked "Pokemon Waterblue" so they were at least considering it.
>>
>>25043411
Hi, Europe. How's that failing economy going?
>>
>>25042948
lmao, who likes the color green?
>>
Thugs did it.
>>
>>25045466
Hi how's trump
>>
>>25045875
Hi, how's the welcomed invasion?
>>
File: 2mo12ls.png (88KB, 685x742px) Image search: [Google]
2mo12ls.png
88KB, 685x742px
>>25042948
the fucking sprites op
>>
>>25042948
because blue was, dipshit.
>>
>>25042948
BECAUSE THERE IS NO GREEN IN THE MOTHERFUCKING USA FLAG, BITCH! THAT'S WHY SPIDERMAN AND SUPERMAN AREN'T GREEN OR YELLOW.
>>
>>25045466
Right, and Burgerland is doing just swimmingly
>>
>>25046056
Most of them are actually pretty good. The few that aren't are the stuff of nightmares.
>>
>>25046595
Shouldnt pokemon be scary?
>>
>>25046238
calm down autismo
>>
>>25047140
Ghost-types, sure. Most Dark-types should give off a sinister aura, but not necessarily scary.
>>
>>25042964
>>25043006
These guys are *almost* correct. Red and Green were the first pair released and were buggy as hell, beyond even what we got, as well as having the incredibly shitty sprites. When the hype took off, they released a third version, Blue. Blue had improved coding and sprites so it ran better (if not perfectly) and looked better. When it came time to localize things to the US, they took the coding and sprite base of Blue and simply changed it around to have the respective pokemon available that Red and Green had. So this wasn't a case of Blue being released as-is and an updated Red to pair with it. It was literally Red and Green plugged into the improved coding of the original third version game, Blue.

As for why they didn't go with Red and Green as the colors for these versions, no idea. Possibly because Red and Green are typically viewed as christmas colors in the us, so the marketing would look weird when it released in the early part of the year, or perhaps because Americans tend to view Red and Blue as more opposite colors, so they could appeal to that "which version is better" hype and get kids all teamed up and competitive with the other versions so they'd want to trade and battle more. I don't fucking know.

Either way, Green *was* released in the US, it just happened to have been renamed and upgraded from it's original version, same as Red. That's why the gen 3 remakes are FireRed and LeafGreen, because those are the actual versions that were remade.
>>
>>25047323
Wrong!
>>
>>25046056
I always likes that that qt charmander.
>>
>>25046056
Comprehensive guide to 10/10 green version sprites:

Caterpie
Metapod
Rattata
Raticate
Fearow
Pikachu
Nidorino
Clefable
Parascect
Graveller
Kingler
Hitmonlee
Seaking
>>
It's because green is not a creative color.
>>
>>25043386
>>25044791
gamefreak didn't trademark WaterBlue
>>
For how infamous Green not being released in the west is, it's also worth noting how we missed out on several things from the Japanese Blue, such as being able to catch Jynx in the Seafoam Islands.
>>
>>25047323
some of the sprites in green were better than those in red/blue and yellow, but only a few.
>>
>>25048899
where is abra?
>>
File: redblue.gif (130KB, 686x742px) Image search: [Google]
redblue.gif
130KB, 686x742px
Here. Ultimate Gen 1 Spritelist, best of both worlds.
>>
>>25048603
Nice rebuttal there pal. Doesn't change the fact that I'm right.
>>
>>25046056
I like the Machop line. They look so damn happy.
>>
>>25042964
>>25047323
>Fixed sprites in Blue
>Upside down Koffing
Ayy lmao
>>
>>25051932
>Upside down Koffing
>Mirrored Kingler
>Huge Exeggcute
No
>>
>>25051932
>horizontal clytores, i mean cloyster
>>
cause tentacles and female protagonist
>>
>>25042948
The original Red version wasn't either. Japanese Blue version was translated into English and then the catchable Pokémon lists from Red and Green were used to make English Red and Blue. This is why the man in Cinabar says the Raichu you traded him evolved, in Japanese Blue you give him a Kadabra.
>>
>>25047323
you said the same thing they did
Thread posts: 53
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.