[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do you think obtaining Pokemon looked like before Pokeball

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 7

How do you think obtaining Pokemon looked like before Pokeball era? How would that translate into game mechanics?
>>
Slave whip
>>
File: Spr_FRLG_Tamer.png (896B, 64x64px) Image search: [Google]
Spr_FRLG_Tamer.png
896B, 64x64px
>>25041987
Oh yeah, forgot about this one. Looks like not everyone catches up with the times
>>
>>25041984
Maybe you had to fight them yourself in order to gain their respect and loyalty? A test to prove yourself worthy as a trainer?
>>
File: Celebi Movie.png (81KB, 300x170px) Image search: [Google]
Celebi Movie.png
81KB, 300x170px
>>25041984
Would this still count as a pokeball?
>>
You have a defiance/acceptance gauge that lowers to 0 as you do damage and then once it hits a certain point you can tame the Pokémon
>>
>>25041984
aprikorns i think. how do they work?

fucked if i know. plus, they seem to be native to johto.

sooo...pokepoles?
>>
File: image.jpg (252KB, 1001x663px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
252KB, 1001x663px
>>25041984
Pokemon followed people or, in the case of unevolved ones, people carried Pokemon like Ash carries Pikachu, Misty carried Togepi, Iris carried Axew, Eureka carries Dede, etc.
>>
>>25041984
Pocket Monsters are supposed to be pocket sized which is why they were named that way.

Unless they just referred to them as monsters before Pokéball existed.

Also how old is Drayden?

>>25042011
It's a movie so not canon to the games I guess
>>
Would it work like it does in Fiore, Almia and Oblivia? IIRC they don't use balls there.
>>
Maybe rangers-style, this is a good point >>25042517

I'm thinking it was just some other gimmick similar to pokeballs in execution but lacking certain conveniences? What that is specifically doesn't necessarily matter in context of the contemporary pokemon world. Just that it worked, and pokeballs are better.
Sort of like Ripple and Stands in Jojo. Ripple becomes all but irrelevant after Part 3.

Also why aren't they referred to as straight up monsters on occasion? I feel if the monster part was nailed into the collective fanbase's brains we could have avoided a lot of cancer. Just putting that out there.
>>
They used the power of friendship and some bs about fate.
Not everyone had Pokemon, only those who had the ability to connect with them were trainers.
>>
Honestly I don't even think about Pokeballs while I'm playing the game.
>>
>>25042011
Certainly. It differs only in design and method of opening it.

>>25042029
Wasn't it said that hollowed apricorns were inserted a catching mechanism inside? So it's basically Pokeball anyway.

>>25042602
>Also why aren't they referred to as straight up monsters on occasion? I feel if the monster part was nailed into the collective fanbase's brains we could have avoided a lot of cancer. Just putting that out there.
Interesting observation. Why do you think so, though?
>>
Didn't they cover this in the episode with the giant gengar?
>>
>>25042850
Mostly when it comes to what designs or themes are "allowed".

>that isn't a real pokemon!

vs.

>that isn't a real monster!

The monster one is more ridiculous, but it's also accurate because when you think about they're all sorts of monsters with varying themes, origins, and designs. Any kind of monster in the pokemon world is a pokemon. If people saw it as this general thing where you catch 'monsters' they'd be a lot more permissive with other ideas, concepts, and what sort of monsters fit. Because the concept of a monster is broad but for many fans the concept of pocket monster is very slim in comparison.
>>
Drayden just wrestled dragons into submission.

They KNEW to follow his orders, afterwards.
>>
>>25042517
>Unless they just referred to them as monsters before Pokéball existed.
This is mostly correct. In the Arceus movie (set like 2000 years ago) they were referred to as "magical creatures".
>>
File: Apricorn.png (39KB, 257x134px) Image search: [Google]
Apricorn.png
39KB, 257x134px
>>25041984
>>
In ancient days people and Pokemon lived side by side as equals, of course. It was only the oppressive regime of professors that the notion of Pokemon could be caught and tamed was made more mainstream.

>>25042882
That seemed more like a way to seal away a rampaging monster than a casual way of capturing and taming Pokemon for fighting.
>>
>>25041984
Shin Megami Tensei-like mechanics.
Depending on the whims of the Pokemon they can either befriend you or want to kill you.

Obviously, people would have needed to have the balls (no pun intended) to face them personally. Train hard to be able to beat the fuck of a Tyranitar, for example.

With the Pokeball people became unsufferable pussies, forgetting all about the old-style hard work to breed and befriend a mon, making it just as old people stories.

Yes, I left my autism flow.
>>
>>25041984
They used to work together and even marry their pokémon back them. After bonding with one of them, "trainers" could just battle and befriend other pokémon if they wanted.

Really, pokéballs just offer an easier way to catch and store pokémon.
>>
>>25042997
See:
>>25042850
Apricorns still function like pokeballs without being called pokeballs
>>
You bonded with them and/or put them under your control by force
>>
>>25042020
>>25042782
>>25042983
>>25043011
>>25043105
In Capsule Monsters beta there was going to be charisma stat for trainer, so pretty much these. True story.
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.