[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Pokemon 20th Anniversary celebration thread! Let's rel

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 13

File: 1378846186767.jpg (55KB, 700x600px) Image search: [Google]
1378846186767.jpg
55KB, 700x600px
Pokemon 20th Anniversary celebration thread!

Let's relax, leave our genwars and speculations at the door and just share some fond memories from over the years.

I'm going through the timeline on the anniversary website, it's pretty fun:
http://www.pokemon20.com/en-us/timeline.html#1996

I'm sad they omitted the Neo Discovery tcg set, which was my absolute favorite. I remember they sold packs at a shitty little convenience store on the way home from school and I'd always try and get my mom to take me there. Everything felt so mysterious back then; shit like Xatu was impossible for me to find so I always hoped to get one in card form at least.
>>
File: 1396484908649.jpg (142KB, 850x661px) Image search: [Google]
1396484908649.jpg
142KB, 850x661px
For those who like to listreply:
>What gen+game did you start with?
>Which Pokemon mattered to you the most back then?
>Who did you play/trade with? What did you like to do?
>general nostalgia/favorite era/neat observation/fuck 20 years!

Guess I'll bump with comfy Pokemon art as well
>>
File: 1400027620546.jpg (982KB, 1280x886px) Image search: [Google]
1400027620546.jpg
982KB, 1280x886px
>>
File: scyther.png (94KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
scyther.png
94KB, 200x200px
Red/Blue shortly after it was released in the states. Didn't even hear about the game, but my mom got it for my birthday on a whime.

Squirtle/Wartortle/Blastoise, my very first starting pokemon. Still my favorite to this day.

My friends on the playground at school

Gen 2 is probably my favorite era, just because of all the content.

And since we're talking old gens, how the hell do you make pic related viable in a normal playthrough of R/B/Y? It's one of my favorite designed Pokemon, but you get it so late in the game and it can only learn flying moves plus Swords Dance.
>>
>>24995177
>start with
Blue
>mattered most
my Blastoise
>trade/play with
Couple of friends at the library, we went to the corner and played with a link cable, showing each other what we got to evolved. My friend trained a Spearow into a Fearow and I had to have one
>what
Blue, Gold, Sapphire, Diamond, White, White 2, and Y are the clear choices
>>
File: GSC-Johto-EcruteakCity.png (381KB, 500x362px) Image search: [Google]
GSC-Johto-EcruteakCity.png
381KB, 500x362px
>>24995217
>>24995219
Man, the setting of Gold/Silver was so neat. The weird, off colors of the towns really stuck with me. It's not just a regular region, but it feels like a different era almost with the architecture and almost "filtered" palette.
>>
File: 1451649471529.jpg (453KB, 891x882px) Image search: [Google]
1451649471529.jpg
453KB, 891x882px
>>24995177
Silver, I played Red fairly soon after that.
Mai boi Gatr. Entei was bretty gud too.
My best friend and sister mostly. Much more trading than battling. Much more TCG than games.
The fact that I can walk up to a group of kids taking about the Pogeymanz, and instantly be able to join in. I see kids on the playground to this day arguing over Kyogre versus Groudon, or if Pikachu riding Charizard could beat Ultron. No other franchise in over 30 years has remained this consistent for this long.
>>
File: 1400028088326.jpg (663KB, 1000x835px) Image search: [Google]
1400028088326.jpg
663KB, 1000x835px
>>24995219
>gen 1 Scyther
In terms of viability, Scyther is fine; fantastic stats and access to Slash which always crits with Gen 1 mechanics. It doesn't have a lot of other options though; I usually toss Mimic/Substitute TMs on mons like that.

>>24995264
GSC's palettes were all really striking
>Those bright yellow windows from houses against the dark night
>That washed out morning palette
>dark-but-shiny caves
And yeah, the architecture really gives the impression of a cohesive old-world region in a way other Pokemon games fail to replicate
>>
>1999 Page
>TCG thing at the top with Charizard, Blastoise, and Hitmonchan cards
>no venusaur
I laughed.
>>
>>24995177
Blue
Blastoise
I played with myself.:^) Just trying to find new ways to break the game doing that Missingno/Glitch City shit. Remember, I had no one to play with because I got a Gameboy of my own way after everyone else has moved on. Also, it did break the game, wiping the entirety of my cartridge clean.
Favorite is Gen 3, Pokemon Emerald, when I got a Gameboy Advance SP. Many hours have been wasted on raising Pokemon to beat Battle Frontier. Only got the Silver Symbols though.
>>
>>24995177
Sapphire, but I switched to Emerald quickly, played the other games on emulator after
Snorlax is cool
Battle at lunch time, but that was before high school, went online in teen years
2009-2012, HGSS, Platinum and BW2 was amazing, had a lot of fun playing with people online
>>
File: 51745069_p0.jpg (194KB, 796x1024px) Image search: [Google]
51745069_p0.jpg
194KB, 796x1024px
Pretty cool.
I'll always be mad because other people are enjoying it, but that can't be helped~
>>
Oh boy, I have so much memories. My first experience with Pokémon was getting a Rhydon card from the jungle set from my buddy. I was in preschool then. Soon the show started running and I was completely and utterly hooked.

I've played every gen for several hundred hours. To me, Pokémon is more than a game. I've meet tons of friends trough it, it comforted me when I was bullied for being a fat fuck and I can't wait to get kids of my own to show it to.

One of my favourite memories was from when I was in third grade, being a non-english speaking country we really had trouble with the GSC postgame (more specifically getting the Power Plant running) so we played the part when the Rocket guy jumps out of Cerulean gym, wrote it all down and had our teacher transcribeit. Boom, more than 10 guys finally progressing at the same time.

I could talk pokemon memories for days..
>>
File: unova_cuties.png (83KB, 600x390px) Image search: [Google]
unova_cuties.png
83KB, 600x390px
>>24995177
Started with Yellow a couple of months after it was released

Pikachu, but if starters don't really count I always really loved Meowth/Persian partly because of the anime

Usually just myself because I lived in a somewhat rural area. However at the school I went to before moving across states in the 3rd grade, they had an afterschool daycare program I was enrolled in, and I remember battling and trading with some of the kids there. I remember that's how I learned what disobedient mons actually do because I traded my Haunter with a friend who was replaying his copy of Blue and the evolved Gengar did shit during Brock's battle.

Gen 5 and 2 are my favorite eras, although Gen 1 always has a place in my heart because of how kind of melancholic the atmosphere of Kanto is.
>>
File: 1400026750832.jpg (65KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
1400026750832.jpg
65KB, 600x450px
>>24995440
To be fair, Hitmonchan was prolific as fuck back then

>>24995467
>wiping the entirety of my cartridge clean.
Scary shit anon. Didn't your cool older cousin ever tell you to never catch Missingno?

>>24995487
>2009-2012
Were you in high school at this time? I feel like a lot of people have a resurgence of Pokemon in high school. 2006-2010 was mine and it was glorious

>>24995545
Where are you from anon? That gym story is neat
>>
>>24995616
>Were you in high school at this time
Yeah, but I didn't play it with anyone IRL

And I never really stopped playing.

Well until now, really bored with gen 6.
>>
File: 1429716180607.jpg (93KB, 480x684px) Image search: [Google]
1429716180607.jpg
93KB, 480x684px
>What did you start with?
I ended up getting Red Version for Christmas in 1998, I was only 9 at the time. I remember a lot of my friends at school back then talking about the games, playing with the toys and trading the cards. We even named the class rodent Pikachu.

>Which Pokemon mattered the most?
Charizard was my favorite in Red followed closely by Nidoking. It wasn't until Yellow that I realized the cuteness of Eevee thanks in part to the updated sprite work and it became another one of my favorites. To this day I still use Charizard and Nidoking competitively.

>Who did you play with and what did you like to do?
Always traded and battled with my friends at school and with my brothers. Post-game got pretty expanded due to baseless playground and online rumors. Aside from trying to catch every pokemon and messing with the missingno glitch, I was pretty gullible and believed the Bill's Secret Garden, Mew under truck, Pokegods, Togepi, and Marill (Pikablu) rumors so I spent a lot time just trying those out to no avail. At least it gave me something to do post game. I still remember watching the anime and discussing it with friends the next day and playing with those cheap Burger King toys. I was pretty hardcore into video games as a kid so that was the extent of my hobby.

>Nostalgia / Favorite Gen / Observation / etc
Gen 2 is my favorite, I started that generation with Silver and eventually upgraded to Crystal. Everything about the Johto region was just so comfy. The layout, art style, music, and Pokemon just made that my favorite region to relax in. I spent a lot of time in Goldenrod City and National Park, mostly to breed and hatch eggs. Silver came out during a time where I was still pretty much at the peak of my happiness in life and Pokemon was still everywhere in the outside world. Couldn't turn a corner without seeing some kind of Pokemon merch and I loved every minute of it. It was at it's peak of popularity in '99 - '01 and I'm glad I got to witness it.
>>
I do believe that GSC was the golden age of Pokémon, everyone was into it and GSC was such a huge improvement in basically every single way compared to RBY.

It also has my favourite music, I don't know why but the simple bleeping 8bit music is so soothing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0j9AOEhzO8&index=3&list=PLD14983C994B0F7C2
>>
>>24995709
I feel you. Even the graphics look amazing to me, they give a pretty comfy atmosphere like an anon above said.
>>
>>24995277
>starting game/Gen
Gen 2, Silver..my family was too poor to buy vidya and my parents couldn't justify buying me a new Game Boy, especially since my sister lost my Game Boy Pocket at a party months before Red/Blue dropped. My neighbor gave me a Color and Silver before he moved away.

>favorite Pokémon
2 Pokémon: Venusaur and Porygon

>trade/battle
friends from the neighborhood, it was banned at my school and I wasn't about to lose the Color or game

>favorite Gen/nostalgia
Gen 2 will always hold a special place in my heart because of that Color and Silver but also because my favorite starter, Cyndaquil, was part of it. I also like XY, I think it still has a lot of potential (as does the next games) and hope there is a Z announced for this year
>>
I got introduced to Pokemon when I was in first grade, the anime had just begun and a few of my friends had bought decks. A kid with a Machamp deck gave me my first card: Full Heal Trainer. I didn't know shit about the cards or the series in general but I remember going to my sister's godmother's house and watching the firsr episode--I exploded with happiness and excitement and was hooked. My sister's godmother took me to our local liquor store and bought me a booster pack and I remember pulling Butterfree and Pidgeotto, I was so damn happy that I pulled them.

I ended up trading the Pidgeotto for that kid's Machamp once Ash caught a Pidgeotto and years later, my mom washed away my cards during laundry after I had finished battling a few of my friends.

its funny, my friends and family know I'm still obsessed over Pokémon and don't say much about it other than the occasional teasing. My ex used to cosplay Pikachu when I was having a rough week to cheer me up but I don't think I've had anyone close that is into Pokémon as I am
>>
Crystal was my first game. I don't remember what compelled me to ask my mom to buy it for me, but man, I sure as fuck remember the first night I played it. I ended up showing my mom how my chikorita evolved into a bayleaf because I was so excited. And the say after I remember going to my friend for help in figuring out how to save the game lol. He got tired of me showing me how to operate the PC because I didn't get that concept as well. And then I remember beating the elite four for the first time. I was glued to my gameboy. Its weird because I don't remember beating any elite four for the first time in later gens, but pokemon crystal is pretty vivid. I was around 6 years old I think.

I love pokemon, it sure as shit helped me go through my childhood and its the only game I play as an adult now.
>>
File: 0939deb971[1].jpg (174KB, 1154x410px) Image search: [Google]
0939deb971[1].jpg
174KB, 1154x410px
whoever wrote this knew exactly what they were doing

fuck you
>>
File: 1444828321674.png (110KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
1444828321674.png
110KB, 600x600px
>>24996142
>>
Welp, I had plans to purchase a new 3ds, since my old gen 1 has broken shoulder buttons. The bundle looks alright. I wanted a smaller one.
The face plates are cool, mostly for muh toise.

Maybe a rehash of stadium for 3ds?
You could even upload the RBY pokes.
>>
>>24996142
Post yfw Z's entire postgame contains Hoenn.
AND battle frontier.

>>24996627
I'd be down for a stadium game rehash to see my RBY mons in grorious 3d.
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.