[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Overdesigned or underdesigned? Which do you prefer?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 88
Thread images: 12

File: 23895734.png (345KB, 1316x628px) Image search: [Google]
23895734.png
345KB, 1316x628px
Overdesigned or underdesigned? Which do you prefer?
>>
>>24986721
Under. Hoopa ugly as fuck
>>
its not a matter of design, its the old art style I like better because it wasnt moe
>>
mega blaziken/maga lucario tier design
>>
File: typhlo.jpg (52KB, 480x666px) Image search: [Google]
typhlo.jpg
52KB, 480x666px
Would you hug your Typhlosion?
>>
>>24986750
Well since HE is my fave, of course.
>>
Typhlosion is the best 3rd stage starter, so under.
>>
>>24986755
Such a good taste you were nearly arrested, for being too rad.

Also I like venasaur... don't ask.
>>
>>24986721
>comparing a Mythical to a starter
It'd probably be more accurate to compare the Legendary Birds to the Mortality Duo/Trio.
>>
File: image.png (11KB, 219x270px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
11KB, 219x270px
>>24986721
Under is alright as long its not as ugly as Typhlosion
>>
File: latest[1].png (3MB, 1436x1497px) Image search: [Google]
latest[1].png
3MB, 1436x1497px
>>24986760
same here, friend

is Venusaur overdesigned?
>>
>>24986755
>Literally Charizard without wings
>GF in charge of coming up with unique BST's for the second fire starter

Even they realized it was doomed from the start famron.
>>
>>24986796
Well that is just your opinion.
There no one else reply I have done it.
>>
>>24986721
neither of these are under or overdesigned
>>
>>24986750
Of course, hug and/or snug
They look so cuddly
>>
Overdesigned isn't even a word
>>
People always shit on Samurott for not being as cool as Dewott, but Typhlosion is way more poorly designed relative to Quilava.
>>
I like how Hoopa looks. I prefer something simpler in design, in general, though.
>>
>>24986858
People tend to do the same with Grovyle in regards to Sceptile but I prefer Sceptile myself.
>>
>>24986858
That is like your opinion anon.
Thanks for sharing it with us, we will think about you.
>>
File: FFXIV_ARR_-_Gilgamesh.png (499KB, 634x834px) Image search: [Google]
FFXIV_ARR_-_Gilgamesh.png
499KB, 634x834px
>not fighting like men and women who dress like men
>>
>>24986803
Typhlosion being Charizard without wings is not an opinion though. They literally have the exact same base stats.
>>
>>24986721
Look at hoopa. Its excellent. The genie theme is conveyed excellently through the usage of purple and black colors, the demonic theme through the sharp edges and fine detail to the face, and the six arms really add a layer of dimension. Stupid tail, granted, but overlookable.

Typholosion? Just an oversized weasel with fire shooting out of its back. Nothing else conveys the fire theme, it doesn't look remotely threatening, it's furbait, and it looks disgustingly edgy. If you were going to even begin to argue an over vs under case, you shoulda used quilava or something.
>>
There are no "over designed" pokemon only bland under designed effortless pokemon.
>>
File: 1451796835665.gif (493KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
1451796835665.gif
493KB, 320x240px
>>24986773
>USing the term "Mythical"
>>
>>24987396
Typlohsion is Quilava with edgy eyes
>>
File: restrained typhlosion.jpg (505KB, 885x626px) Image search: [Google]
restrained typhlosion.jpg
505KB, 885x626px
>>24986750

I'd _hug it all day.
>>
>>24986793
No, it has three main ideas:

Base - dinosaur
Cover - leaf
Extension - flower

The minor details (ears, warts, claws, etc.) are underplayed and don't distract from the main ideas. This is a good design. Less is more, you want the viewer to understand the point as quickly as possible.
>>
>>24986721
Zygarde is way more overdesigned. If it weren't the rings Hoopa is actually quite simple.
>>
File: AbeOik6.jpg (3KB, 58x60px) Image search: [Google]
AbeOik6.jpg
3KB, 58x60px
>>24987396
>>
>>24986721
I love both. Hoops is a great example of a good design with alot of details. Typhlosion is my favorite Pokemon period.
>>
File: 250px-034Nidoking.png (56KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
250px-034Nidoking.png
56KB, 250x250px
>>24988374
Nidoking is a great example of a good design with alot of details. So is Rhydon. Their complications don't distract from the overall form, and this is done through a limited palette and only adding the details where necessary. The details on his chest divide themselves like armor. The spikes only show up BEHIND Nidoking (with the exception of the horn). The divisions in the arms and legs only show up where joints would bend. Everything flows and points towards the center of the design, making it clear to read, all while being "detailed".

Whatever the new Pokemon is in OP's pic is just a confusing mess, and it's hard to understand exactly what it is without looking at it for an extended period. A good design boils down to conveying a point with as little time as possible.
>>
they're literally two different types of designs with different goals. One is a fucking badger, the other is a demonic spirit

a better comparison would be comparing Typhlosion to Greninja or another starter.
>>
File: bad.png (279KB, 1316x628px) Image search: [Google]
bad.png
279KB, 1316x628px
>>24986721
>>
>>24988351
I'm 100% serious. hoopa is a fantastic design and hopefully it's a mark of an upward trend in quality for the future. typhlosion is garbage and I wish there were some alternate form of eviolite that upped attack and special attack so that actually well designed and cute mons like quilava get their time to shine over their shit evolutions.

I look at hoopa and instantly think evil demon genie. That's what it is. The extraneous details nail the intimidation factor. the muscular body, horns, pointed claws, usage of blue and purple, boom.

I look at typhlosion and think "ok...random fire monster"? Nothing about it conveys fire without the flames on its back. all right, it's got slanted eyes, some fangs, ears look devilish in nature...so is it supposed to be violent? I mean, even its pokedex entries just say "it's hot, it makes heat, it's fiery". boring and repetitive. colors aren't used at all to demonstrate any sort of affiliation. but it's also supposed to be based off a honey badger, so its a fire badger thats also a volcano? not only does that not make sense, it's not really shown whatsoever in the design.
>>
>>24988402
>Whatever the new Pokemon is in OP's pic is just a confusing mess, and it's hard to understand exactly what it is without looking at it for an extended period. A good design boils down to conveying a point with as little time as possible.

I can already make out important details from a cursory glance. It has multiple disconnected arms, like a supernatural figure like the asura. It's relatively demonic, with horns. Its overall details imply an arabian theme.
>>
>>24986837
But it gets the point across
>>
>>24988434
>>24988418
Take an art class plz. You're reaching for straws. Just because YOU understand it (biased as your intentions may be) doesn't mean it reads clearly in general. Most everyone would be confused if they saw that monstrosity. I can understand what Typhlosion is even from the thumbnail because he's easily readable.
>>
>>24986721
Those two are both cool, anon. The left is a powerful demon god djinn with the ability to move through dimensions and a mischievous temperament. The right is a fucking pissed off honey badger with control over fire and eruptions, and it's more of a wild animal, or something feral and brutal.

They both suit what they're supposed to be, and they're both good designs. Hoopa is supposed to be a god and Typhlosion is supposed to be a wild animal. They both have unkempt hair/fur to show off their power, but with Hoopa you can tell it's because it's a tricky Mon who knows it can wreck your shit, while with Typhlosion because it's wild, angry, and wants to utterly destroy your shit.

If you want something with a lot of unnecessary shit in its design for what it's supposed to be, take a look at Palkia or something, while if you want something utterly undersigned and boring you can check out Seel.
>>
>>24988445
>Most everyone would be confused if they saw that monstrosity.

Do you have a single fact to back that up?
>>
>>24988445
>Most everyone would be confused if they saw that monstrosity.
Please don't assume the rest of the world is retarded just because you are, anon.
>>
>>24988402
If you have trouble figuring out what Hoopa is supposed to be then you probably aren't very smart. It's not a particularly confusing design by any means.
>>
>>24988445
>take an art class
No, I'm not a degenerate

>most everyone would be confused if they saw that monstrosity
I can clearly tell it's a genie. So can many other people. The lines and arms all focus around the hole in its chest, while the extraneous details like the poofy headgear and exaggerated demonic figures give it it's otherworldly appearance. I can't tell what Nidoking is, though - a big rock purple monster? Sure it's got lines that flow nicely, but what's with it's weird as fuck abdomen? What's up with those massive cartoony ears? Why those awkward kneecaps that look too bulky for the Pokemon to walk? I can't even understand what it actually is without googling.
>>
>>24988524
>>24988529
>>24988534
>>24988538

samefag detected
>>
>>24988538
>art bad
>proceed to talk about art
Thanks for the warning to disregard your post I guess
>>
>>24988418
Hoopa's general body shape is a lot easier to draw than that, and the overall line structure is a lot more simplistic. You're making it more complex than it actually is.
>>
>>24988541
Yeah, that's weird and kinda sad...
>>
>>24988541
So you're not going to try backing up your claim?
>>
>>24988541
>>24988558
Epic, it's as if time stamps don't exist

>>24988547
Oh I'm sorry is that what you went to community college for only to end up with a backwards ass job that pays 20k a year? My apologies for triggering you anon
>>
>>24988565
haha
>>
>>24986858
There's consistency between the evolutions, which matters most

You can see the logical progression from Quilava's angst to Typhlosion's mature rage simply in the nice design

Samurott comes in like a sucker punch
>>
>>24988541
>>24988558

So you don't have a single fact to back that up?
>>
>>24986796
>Charizard without wings
>Charizard without 4x rock weakness

So they made Typhlosion a better Charizard, what's your argument again?
>>
>>24988560
>>24988580
Who are you talking to?
>>
>>24988579
Quilava's 'angst'? Are you fucking high?

Then again you're probably that same genwunning cuntlicker who's trying his hardest to defend typhlosion

>>24988572
Epic post !!!!!!!!
>>
>>24988580
You "two" were posting paragraphs to each other within less than 1:30.
>>
>>24988565
>my insane rant means you're triggered
This must be reverse b8
>>
>>24988595
thanks
>>
>>24988601
You might be retarded
>>
>>24988601
>everyone types as slow as me
>>
>>24988524
It's just a general rule of art not to clutter your design, and that hoop genie or w/e the fuck it is, is a cluttered design.

>>24988418

What this picture displays is contradicting lines of action, directing to different positions of the character and creates overall CLUTTER. I'm not inventing these problems and I didn't intentionally make Pokemon left more chaotic than Pokemon right, I just drew lines through the main parts of both of them. Typhlosion is a better design because he's easily readable, if you dispute this you're just plain wrong, sorry. You can't make fun of art and then ignore the fundamentals. The moment disparaged art/artists is the moment you lost this argument, because you pretty much relinquished your privilege of opinion.
>>
>>24986721
Hoopa's whole theme is "hyperspace clusterfuck" so in this case it works
>>
>>24988595
Quilava has an edgy mohawk coupled with typical anime "angry" eyes

The mohawk represents punk, adolescent rebellion, and the eyes use a trope that's recognized almost nearly universally as conveying anger, and when I think of anger in the context of teenage adolescence, yes, I think of "angst," unless you're telling me your teenage hormonal issues were a source of deep existential pain

Typhlosion's eyes are much smaller, however, and don't convey as much emotion, showing a subdued, more controlled hostility. This is coupled with its bared fangs and imposing stance in early sprites

If you'd like to offer a counterargument that actually addresses why you don't think Quilava's design shows these traits, please, go ahead
>>
>>24988618
>. I'm not inventing these problems and I didn't intentionally make Pokemon left more chaotic than Pokemon right, I just drew lines through the main parts of both of them.

One of the arrows is literally a gap between his chin and shoulder. Another is a dick that isn't even there.
>>
>>24988618
Yeah this was funny but now it's just autistic

Remind me to never criticise GF again for art design as I never want to be associated with fucktards like this

Also
>implying he was the one criticizing art
That was me, and art is inherently a useless practice. Remember there's only a one letter change between autist and artist, my good anon.
>>
SEE? HOOPA IS STRONG!!!!
>>
>>24988655
Tell us more about your community college education.
>>
>>24988618

>multiple contradicting lines of action

none of those details or the direction they point in conflict with each other or show them to be occupying different spaces or disconnected from each other

except in cases where they should be like his arms
>>
It depends, I don't like Gen 1 designs but I love Gen 2s.
>>
>>24988661
We're all here mutually on a board about a Japanese cartoon

why do we need to bring college into this "discussion"
>>
>>24988651
>Mohawk
Ok, fine, pretty sure that was just to enhance the fire theme but whatever, it exists

>angry eyes
What, it's big anime eyes are cute if anything

>smaller eyes
If anything the in game description and typhlosions general behavior indicate angst, edginess, and uncontrolled rage. The imposing stance and fiery eyes seem to enhance this (i don't get your 'less emotion' bullshit). Seeing as quilavas in game description never shows it as angsty, the 'anger' bit is really only evident in the typhlosion stage of the line.
>>
>>24988679
It's because of the 29 posters in this 71 post discussion, maybe 3 of those were well educated and have authority to speak on this.

Everyone else is an autistic seen edgelord underage tralala homo faglord who's just shitposting

Like you
>>
>>24988698
same
>>
>>24986721
Over. Yellow Human always bored me to tears, though not as much as Meganium's bland and uninspired look.
I like designs that tell a story. Pokemon with multiple ideas and cultural elements behind them are the most interesting ones to me. I like to go from a sense of "whoa, what IS that?" upon reveal to a feeling of "hey, that's pretty cool" when I find out just what a design is supposed to draw from. An underdesign has no secrets. There's no sense of discovery when you begin to explore what inspirations the Game Freak staff drew upon to come up with a bland design.
>>
>>24988653
What? See, this is why you need to opt out of this argument, I literally only drew arrows where the points of interest are, according to design fundamentals. The dick is there, I may have overshot but it's there. In fact, there should be MORE arrows because I forgot the horns and one of the arms. Sorry, but your hoop monster is a bad design (not that you know enough about art to argue anyways).

Calling someone autistic might as well be the new Godwin's Law.
>>
File: 250px-720Hoopa.png (49KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
250px-720Hoopa.png
49KB, 250x250px
>>24988402
It's probably worth taking context into consideration here. Typhlosion is a fully-evolved starter, meant to be encountered by new players eventually over the course of their journey. Hoopa-Unbound is the super-duper alternate form of a Pokemon that can only be obtained via events and is clearly supposed to stand out among Pokemon.
Pic is what Hoopa's primary form looks like.
>>
>>24988685
I agree that the anime eyes are cute, that's the point. They're slanted in addition to this, which traditionally represents anger, readiness to fight, etc. The thing is, because, as you said, they're cute, it's a mixed effect...sort of like looking at a kitten ready to pounce. The kitten's natural instinct is to threaten, but we see it as cute. Sort of the same effect of seeing a middle schooler with a mohawk -- we know they're just trying to create the appearance of being intimidating, and they're not actually that scary

I also like your points about Typhlosion's smaller eyes and Pokedex data. I'm just saying that, in traditional Japanese drawing, the larger, cuter eyes can aesthetically convey more expression and feeling. Smaller eyes simply can't carry that much depth, so they're used instead to represent concentrated emotion. Typhlosion is much angrier, angstier, edgier, and yes, you're right, the angstiest of the line, but the earlier evolutions represent a build-up to this

My main argument is that the Typhlosion line, simple as it is, works because the evolution transitions from child, to teenager, to adult. This may seem like a simple way of looking at it, but it's most effective because the theme of the line (anger) becomes more apparent, and more apparent in different ways, with each evolution
>>
>>24988698
I don't think education gives you any more authority on the subject of Pokemon. I think six-year olds could give you a better discussion than what you'll find in this thread

and by spewing memewords instead of actual arguments, you're just as bad as the shitposters
>>
>>24988618
The details don't conflict or clutter though. Hoopa has a fairly straightforward design, with everything focused around the portal in its chest. You've separated Hoopa's relatively simplistic body structure into a bunch of conflicting lines which aren't even part of the actual design, pulled right out of your ass. You're making shit up about Hoopa's body structure and design focus and I doubt you even know the first thing about "art" or whatever. Have you ever actually drawn Hoopa?

>>24988736
The dick is there, but it fits in with the rest of the design, and the body flows into the tail through there. Kind of like drawing a lizard as a snake before adding the limbs, since they are related and all.
>>
>>24988736
>literally making shit up
>>
>>24988736
>THE DICK IS THERE
I'm on a website where a presumably adult male just typed those words into his keyboard without any regret. Jesus fuck.

I've never seen faggotry this intense and intentional, and I've seen gay pride parades march down the road with muscular men in pink Speedos practically 69ing in public. I reiterate: autists goes to artists.

Oh, and if you're crying more about being called an autist, let's just say there's a reason.
>>
File: 1452225361319.jpg (54KB, 540x411px) Image search: [Google]
1452225361319.jpg
54KB, 540x411px
>>24986721
That's like asking me if i'd prefer Plain Oatmeal or A Burnt Soufflé: One of them is lazy-ass garbage that clearly shows the chef has neither balls nor creativity enough to try to impress the diner; while the other one shows that the chef doesn't have enough skill to pull of his ambitions and often bites off more than he can chew.

The answer is none of them. I prefer a GOOD design.
>>
>>24986721
Stop using these shitty meme words and just say complex designs or simple designs.
>>
>>24988739
Okay, that works. I mean, something like, say, Medicham has slanted eyes and willingness to fight, but it really does feel violent there. With Quilava, the eyes just don't exhibit anger or rage or anything, and I never really pondered the mohawk, so the jump to typhlosion was jarring.

I dunno. I mean chikorita and cyndaquil were the 'cute' ones, and while the meganium design isn't great it still keeps the theme. Same for totodile and feraligatr. Typhlosion just feels out of place and unnecessarily edgy.

I guess let's agree to disagree and leave the thread before shitposters arrive.
>>
>>24986721
Under. Always under.
>>
Under. They're cuter and easier to draw. That's it
>>
>>24986721
I personally think that Hoopa form looks badass, but I can understand how its pushing it a bit too.

It depends. A lot of my favourite Pokémon lean on the more toony side (Chikorita, Vanillite line, Gardevoir, Clefairy).
>>
>>24988828
>>24988820
>>24986739
>>24986755
>>24986860
Retards, trolls, idiots
Thread posts: 88
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.