[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can we all agree that whether you love or hate them, it's

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

File: 1450351786304.jpg (70KB, 594x480px) Image search: [Google]
1450351786304.jpg
70KB, 594x480px
Can we all agree that whether you love or hate them, it's obvious that starting with gen III the games diverged heavily from gens I and II, in both tone and pokemon designs. It's totally understandable if someone fell out with the franchise because of this overall change.
>>
>>24961755
>in both tone
explain
>>
>>24961755
this is objectively true however people seem to get assblasted about it all the same.

gen 2 started the more simplistic trend though, in part. if you look at a lot of the dex's faces, more seem to be "drawn on" than was the case in gen 1 (see sunflora, corsola, maril line, sudowoodo, wobbo, and a few others). although the bodies of these pokemon are still detailed and seem to have a sense of realistic anatomy for the most part.

gen 3 kept the simplified faces and then simplified the bodies and designs into simplified parts, almost as if you could pull off parts of a pokemon's body without affecting the rest of it, things seem more tacked on and cartoony. this is not the case with every mon, but it is the overarching trend.

this plus the fact that RS completely retconned the pokeworld and the lore made the games feel like fangames to me when I got them on release.
>>
>Objectively true
No you idiot, it's objectively not.

Designs haven't even changed that much. There's tons of simple designs in Genwun. (i.e clefairy, rattata, gastly, geodude etc)
There's more simple designs in Gen2-6 because there's 5 more gens full of mons.

The games are still the same: get a starter, travel the world, get badges, defeat evil team and become champion.

Nothing has changed as far as tone is concerned. Designs are different, just because different designers, but not in tone.
I've been playing since Genwun and every game has been enjoyable.
>>
>>24961755
Gen II was supposed to be the end. Yes, there's an undeniable change even if it wasn't obvious.

Later generations are still good and I'm not insulting them at all, in fact I loved Gen V, but the direction art design has taken reflects how media for younger audiences as a whole has changed. Think how back then censorship was much more tame and there could be all kinds of subtle more mature humor or elements in cartoons or older games. Whereas Kanto and Johto entirely through gameplay perspective for better or worse had a more realistic and less colorful feel to them overall, later generations such as Hoenn, Sinnoh, Unova and Kalos clearly focus more on the concept of a grand adventure in a world full of lore and history with rising stakes as the plot advances; Hoenn obviously with the superancients of land, sea and sky, Sinnoh with otherwordly beasts of time, space and antimatter, Unova with dragons of legend and raw cataclysmic power to assist idealistic heroes that helped found the land and finally Kalos with life, death and order, though painfully underdone and arguably irrelevant to anything but the Ultimate Weapon. These large scale adventures can easily appeal to younger audiences and the art has both a new and more colorful feel, maybe also to do with Japan's more eccentric culture.

When you look at Sugimori's old artstyle, I would say that represents the old days so to speak. A time where nothing videogame related had the kind of marketing or attention it does now and Pokemon was simply a niche experiment Satoshi Taijiri thought up from catching bugs as a child. There was no clear standard or precedent for the series and that's why I'd say the first 2 generations feel so much more different. Where the term for kids had no definite meaning and it was simply something they might find appealing.

Though with more mature elements sprinkled in BW and XY's characters and dialogue that focus might also be changing. Unfortunately, very slowly.
>>
Gen 3 wasn't the first gen to have pokemon designs that were different from the originals, they are a bit too simplistic but their more natural design fits the games story and world.
>>
File: image.jpg (110KB, 960x960px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
110KB, 960x960px
>>24961777
>this plus the fact that RS completely retconned the pokeworld and the lore
What
>>
>>24961814
yes it is, you absolute retard. the funny thing is, I didn't even say that the designs were worse, I just said different. yet you still get so defensive because you can't comprehend that over 10 years, design directions might actually change, especially when there were new designers in gen 3.

look at designs like camerupt and swalot. see the blue circles? the black diamonds? these are simplistic designs. Look at wingull and pelipper: their wings don't even have a semblance of feathers. salamence's wings? the latis?

designs became overall more simplified. rattata is a simple concept, but it has realistic anatomy.
>>
>>24961842
gen 1 and 2
>the pokeworld takes place on "earth" and mentions places like america
>one pokedex developed by oak
>one gym leader per type
>one elite four, the best four trainers in the world period
>team rocket
>pokemon exist alongside people

gen 3 onward
>no longer set in the "real world"
>each region has its own "national" pokedex
>each region has its own set of gym leaders
>and elite four
>each region has its own special evil force
>pokemon created the world, the universe, and people

there you go
>>
>>24961768
Gen I and II, gen I especially, was especially more grounded than the later gens. RBY had no box legendary, the legendary birds are fully optional found in dungeons with no stoey impact, Mewtwo, the strongest pokemon, is a genetically engineered super pokemon rather than a legend with domain over something like Kyogre or Groudon. The evil team is nothing more than an organized crime gang with the goal of getting money and stealing pokemon. In the other games every evil team has an interest in ruling the world via the use of a super invincible legendary pokemon that could destroy the world.
>>
>>24961888
>every other team wanted to rule the world

Team Magma and Team Aqua were extremists who wanted to change the world itself in favor of humans and Pokemon respectively, Team Galactic wanted to throw the old world out entirely, Team Plasma were brainwashed cultists who basically wanted to use worship for the Legendary to realize their goal to separate humans from Pokemon and Team Flare were plain greedy assholes who wanted immortality or just to fucking kill everyone they thought was polluting the world.

Also, that's just saying Gen I and II could have been imagined on Earth rather than a fantasy world with advanced technology in certain areas.
>>
File: wingull wings.png (364KB, 949x361px) Image search: [Google]
wingull wings.png
364KB, 949x361px
>>24961857

>look at designs like camerupt and swalot. see the blue circles? the black diamonds? these are simplistic designs. Look at wingull and pelipper: their wings don't even have a semblance of feathers. salamence's wings? the latis?

Look at Electabuzz, Koffing!
See the black lines and white shapes? Those are simplistic designs!
Look at Farfetch'd and Spearow! their wings don't even have a semblance of feathers!
Aerodactyl's wings?, Dragonite's?

Designs have always been simplified. You're going to pretend Rattata has realistic anatomy?
What makes it realistic? The big long whisker thing? The purple fur? The curled tail?
Or are you one of those shills that thinks having some paw fingers makes its anatomy realistic? In that case, Watchog, Linoone, Zigzagoon, Patrat and countless other newer mons all share that same feature.

You're an absolute fucking retard.
btw Wingull's wings actually do resemble a seagull's wings. The feathers blend into a smooth shape with a bit of a part at the tip.
And Pelliper's wings have about the same amount of distinct feather shapes as Farfetch'd and Spearow.

You fucking retard.
>>
>>24961755
We can agree that gen 1 and 2 had garbage gameplay and gen 3 is the single most important generation because it completely overhauled the franchise mechanically and resulted in the games we've been playing ever since.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.