[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Friends

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 5

Did anyone else really enjoy having a big group of friends to interact with in XY?

I thought it was cool to travel the region and join members of the gang for a battle/chat/exploration at different stages of the game. The interactions in XY felt less forced and invasive than in BW. If they'd beefed up their pokemon teams, they would've been perfect.

Would you like to see future games do something similar?
>>
I thought it was good. Jerk rivals were cool when I was 7, these days I prefer the going on a journey with your friends supporting you approach.
>>
>>24958402
>shit brigade
>decent
>>
It was a great idea, but I don't feel like it was executed very well. None of the characters were really memorable as individuals - they were all kind of generic. If they do this again, it'd be nice to have characters with actual personalities to hang out with, and maybe a separate rival to actually have for challenges.
>>
>>24958402
I only like Serena Shawna, and calem. The shota boy too. Tierno sucks
>>
It was a neat change of pace; I liked the nickname idea but getting your pokemon from friends instead of the Professor or a lab assistent is pretty silly.

I just hope GF keeps doing something different cause I would not like to have 4 useless "rivals" following me around again and taking partial credit for my good deeds.
>>
All of the characters were pretty vapid, so my relationship with any given one was nonexistent. If they weren't so one-dimensional I'd probably be okay with it, but I had actually forgotten who Trevor was until I saw the OP.

I miss having a dickhole rival, though.
>>
>>24958612
This. Also it would be nice some side quest with some of them, and depending your decisions and answers in them your relationship with them can change.
>>
>>24958612
>and maybe a separate rival to actually have for challenges.
Wasn't that the point of Serena? I miss the poor girl was actually getting bored of losing all the time.
What we need in Pokemon, is something a bit like in the anime: to have plot segments dedicated to travelling momentarily with friends that devolve into cute slice of life and fierce battles. And more segments with duo battles against bad guys.
All in all, Pokemon's main quest need to really feel like an actual RPG questline, more than the usual "1st badge, 2nd, plot elements, 3rd, bad guys hideout, 4th, 5th another hideout, 6th, 7th, main plot storyline, 8th, Elite 4"
>>
I thought the interactions started out really strong (Santalune Forest through the Palace), but quickly trailed off to be almost non-existant throughout the rest of the game. I wish it would have maintained the level of companionship throughout the game.

As implemented, it felt thought out at the start, rushed by the middle, and an afterthought towards the end.
>>
Fatboy and Bieber barely fight you or do anything. The only people who fight you consistently are Shauna and Calem/Serena, and Shauna almost doesn't count while Calem is just fucking sad.

Aside from that time they boss rush you on that bridge, which felt shoehorned in, they were not rivals and barely friends. I forgot fatboy even existed for a long time.

Honestly I think Tierno is basically a lost cause and orange haired kid is barely there. Shauna vanishes halfway and Calem/Serena are rather pathetic. All those kids need serious work.
>>
No because all the friends were fucking awful. I'd rather have one rival who was actually competent (like Blue or Barry). Or maybe one rival for each of the objectives in the game. So one to become a strong trainer, another to collect all the Pokemon, another to excel in contests, etc.
>>
Please tell me that they're going to give these guys more focus in Z or whatever. Having a bunch of friends was a good idea but they were executed so poorly.
>>
>>24958402
>any friend good except Shauna
>less "forced and invasive" than Cheren and Bianca

Here's your reply.
>>
>>24958604
Sadly a lot of people disagree with you because they want "challenge" in a casual game.
>>
File: image.png (875KB, 1000x1424px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
875KB, 1000x1424px
>>24958874
>Barry
>competent
>>
>>24958604
>Jerk rivals were cool when I was 7

Are you implying people who prefer characters who actually challenge them and motivate them to kick their asses are underage, you little shit?

Asshole rivals >>>>>>>> friendly rivals
>>
>>24959145

It's not about challenge or what their personality was. It's that despite there being four of them and them being your rivals/friends in a universe that revolves entirely around cockfighting wild animals, you barely fucking fight them and they just fall off a third of the way through the game and barely interact with you until the bridge fight.

Like literally everything else in X/Y they were wasted potential.
>>
>>24958615
The brown girl was the only one who was helpful fuck everyone.
>>
>>24958622
Is that what happened? I could've sworn the Pokémon were sent by Sycamore.
>>
>>24959532
They were but they were guven to fatfuck to give your "friends"
>>
File: s2816.png (2MB, 800x900px) Image search: [Google]
s2816.png
2MB, 800x900px
>>24958402
I liked Bianca and Trevor better. Bianca in particular was my favourite, I noticed how she grew during the journey.

I want a friend that joins the villains and actively wants to stop you. A friend that ascends ranks and becomes the villain's admin in no time for his/her unprecedented talent. Even there, he/she values you as a friend and wants you at his/her side.
I want to have mixed feelings when battling him/her: a person like you who took a different path in life, but with different ideals. Something like a well made N, not an autistic meme spouter like he was.

That's who I would like to see as a travel partner.
>>
>>24959765
Wasnt that pretty much that faggot N who did that?
>>
>>24958402
I actually like friends more than rivals, xy's problem was that there were too many and it prevented us from getting attached to a single one.
>>
Shauna was okay. Calem/Serena were alright. Trevor could've had something. Tierno is shit.
>>
>>24961011
if tierno had an actual dancing team, would he have been less shit.
i.e
Liligant and Hitmontop rather than fuckin Talonflame and Crawdaunt
>>
File: image.jpg (129KB, 282x400px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
129KB, 282x400px
It just made me miss the Battle Network series ;_;
>>
>>24961053
that girl has a very unfortunate hairline
>>
>>24961053
Ded franchise
>>
File: image.jpg (41KB, 452x326px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
41KB, 452x326px
>>24961064
Don't remind me

>>24961059
Her? It's definitely...unique
>>
>>24961053
More games should have groups of anime friends
>>
>>24958402
eh, i didnt really like it. its nice being a loner against the world. the dick rival continually making you pissed and wanting to excel. the new guys just held your hand the whole time and made you feel good about yourself. gary was an asshole who made you grind just so you could beat his smug ass, and sabrina was too easy so you just steamrolled her. one rival is enough
>>
>>24960962
But failed at it.
>>
>>24958402
>i wana b stronk... y u always bet me ;_;
>memories... bonds... everyone is frends xD <3
>Gotta catch 'em all! ...wow, you saw 0 Pokemon? That's more than me!
>HURRRRR MUH DANCING WHERE ARE YOU FROGGY
Absolutely terrible waste of time. They should have combined Tierno and Trevor's roles with Calem/Serena and Shauna to make them more fleshed out characters instead of having a poorly defined generic Doraemon/Detective Conan kid crew. Gen 4 was the closest to doing rivals right, if the opposite gender character had just battled you a few times too.
>>
>>24958402
They were all ugly.
>>
>>24958402
They felt like shit for me.
I don't give a fuck about Shauna's forced romamtic relationship with the (male) player/Tierno's "look i'm so quirky this makes me cool right?"/Trevor basically being there just to call Tierno an idiot plus their no character development whatsoever.
The only one who actually felt tolerable was Serena/Calem.
>>
>>24958402
Shauna and Serena/Calem were the only good ones.
I hate Trevors design and Tierno was a retard. Like another anon said they were wasted potential because just about everything starts feeling rushed and kinda half assed after you get mega evolution.
>>
I would have enjoyed them if they actually felt like friends and were interesting characters in their own rights. Being relevant to the story at all would help, too. Pokemon certainly needs more of a human element that aren't just cardboard cutouts.
>>
>>24961426

This, the only one that was somewhat relevant to the story was Serena/Calem, because they were chasing the same goal and they would also help you to stop Team Flare.

Shauna is there to watch fireworks and the other two do literally nothing.
>>
>>24961438
They only helped you stop team style at the vary end even then you did bulk of the work
>>
They felt like there were there just to be there.
Like GF had no ideas for a rival they shit out these guys called them friends and just left them there.
They barely do anything besides just follow you around.
>>
>>24958402
They were ok but they need a bit more characterization, specially Tierno and Trevor. Shauna was cool, Serena/Calem was decent
>>
>>24961501
Serena/clam was shit shauna is...meh useful fuck you did more with her than anything else the other two were just a joke
>>
Literally should have just had the other player character, Shauna, Sycamore and a new character more like Barry or Hugh.
>>
>>24958402
They would have been fine if they weren't such obnoxious dick riders. Everything they do and say is there to stroke the player's ego.
>>
>>24961485
The problem was that they didn't have any investment in the story, they just decided to help out. They needed reasons to care about the protagonist and the plot.
>>
I like the idea of a group of friends in the games but I did not like 80% of the XY crew.

Of the main group that you meet repeatedly, I liked Shauna only. She was a gud, sweet little brown girl. Day thighgap, dat ass, that slim body. I'd eat her up.

Otherwise, the only other members of the cast that follow you that were bearable were Dexio and Sina. I enjoyed their shenanigans.
Also, Emma.
I'd bone the entire Holy Trinity of Little Brown Kalosian Girls:
Shauna, Emma, Sina.
>>
Literally best theme:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdwWRQBYyGs
>>
>>24962028
Shauna was a qt best friend out og a group of uttershit
>>
>>24958402
No.
>>
>>24962522
Everyone should have had a purpose.

Serena was interesting as the usual rival. I liked her because she was proactive in taking down Team Flare, and it felt like I had backup for once against the bad guys. She worked well.

Shauna was good for the "light" stories, like photographs and dog-finding and Snorlax waking. It would have been interesting if she made a photo diary of her journey and gathered the squad at different scenic locations for group photos. She was all about the memories after all.

Tierno could've been the pokedex guru. He could've explained stuff like Incenses, pokemon breeding, forme changes and split evos. He could have used mega evolutions in battle to discover new pokemon. Also, he could've offered trade evos to you to help complete the dex.

Tierno was a little wasted. If this game had a sub-game (like contests or the pokeathlon) you could've had him as a second rival of sorts.

Interacting with friends was fun, especially teaming up for battles. It would've been cool to have a double battle with Serena against a Gym Leader, for example. Or a Sky Battle against friends. Or triple battles against Flare grunts.

So much potential.
>>
>>24962682
I don't care for friends like these.
We need more rivals like Gary.
>>
>>24962699
But they can battle you at various points too. This would give them a theme - Serena as the normal all-around rival, Shauna as the Karenfag, Trevor with the powerhouses, and Tierno with the (for example) contest-friendly pokemon movesets.
>>
>>24958402
It kind of worked with Cheren and Bianca in Black and White. But it fell flat on its face in the XY games.

I honestly prefer to just to have a challenging rival.
>>
No, I absolutely despised Tierno and Trevor. Every time they showed up I just mashed the button to get through them as quickly as possible. Also, I missed having a genuine rival.
>>
>>24962028

Dexio and Sina didn't even got official art or anything specials and they were leagues better than Tierno and Trevor. I hope they get more stuff in Z
>>
>>24962717
I want more true Pokémon Rivals. Not friends.
I see them as jokes and I respect Gary, for being a True rival.
>>
>>24962771

"Gary" has nothing on Barry when it comes to his team.
>>
>>24962771
B-but i dont want a challange anon i want things to be friendly,happy & easy
>>
>>24962781
Gary is a powerful Pokémon trainer.
>>
>>24962786
That's a disappointment.
You can't be a Pokémon Master, if You don't beat the best and the rest.
>>
>>24958402
I think it had the potential to be great, but it turned into a steaming pile of shit. Your rival never got any surprise new pokemon to give you something different to deal with. Every battle with Calem/Serena was just the same shit rinse and repeat. The two actual battles you get to have with Shauna and the others at least had some flavor to the teams for fun, but it was a moot point considering you literally battle them once at the beginning and once at the end and then never again, no rematches, nothing.

What *should* have been done was to have Serena/Calem be a tougher rival to battle against from time to time, and repurpose the others into different "flavor" rivals. Instead of Trevor just challenging you to see who has the most in their dex and not even awarding a prize, he should challenge you to a Dex Quiz, or something of the like, where he asks you a series of questions about pokemon that are found in between there and the last quiz that require you to read the dex info and learn it, like various cries, sizes and even fluff information like where a pidgey might nest, and then he awards you with some kind of extra item or cash.

Make Shauna and Tierno contest rivals in the Cuteness and Coolness category respectively who will alternately challenge you to contests as halls pop up in towns and if you win against them they will give you various nice contests items.

The whole group could have served a purpose that way and made things much more interesting as well as making them seem like competent trainers. Tierno teaching his pokemon to dance for contests, Trevor filling up the dex and helping you to learn it too, Serena/Calem pushing you to do better in battle, it would have all balanced out.Hell, if they wanted *everyone* to be different, give Shauna some kind of Amie connection where you have to see whose team has higher affection for each other when you bump into her for free pokepuffs or some shit.
>>
>>24959174
>and motivate them to kick their asses
Nothing about a shitty trainer that i CONSTANTLY defeat over and over and over all along the game "motivates" me to kick its ass AGAIN.
Blue/Silver dickriders are the worst.
>>
>>24962896
It would be cool if rival battles could be lost.

Imagine Serena whoops your ass. You pay out your money for losing. She says:

"Ha! I did it. Maybe I am ready to take on the Lumiose City Gym!"

Then you exit the battle screen, she heals up your pokemon, says goodbye and leaves.
>>
>>24963060
That would be nice.
>>
>>24963060
in yellow your rivals eeveelution was based on if you won or lost your first 2 battles with him
>>
>>24963060
I think the whole point of having "rivals" is pointless now. I mean, they're not really your rival if you're constantly beating them from start to finish right? A rival is someone who pushes you to develop and vice versa. I think the best way a rival can work is if they actually beat you the first time, and you fight them only one other time (probably at the end of victory road) where you beat them.

That or make them like Hugh, where the rival just battles the MC just to test his strength as a side thing.
>>
>>24958402
I preferred Cheren and Bianca particularly because they weren't trivial.

I'd still love competent trainers to be rivals with above all else though.
>>
>>24958402
>>24958402
I would have enjoyed it if they actually did stuff.

I really think it was unecessary to make Tierno, Shauna and Trevor into complete weaklings.
>>
>>24958402
I thought the group of friends were stereotypes of weeaboos. And the main character thinking they were the shit.
>>
>>24958402
I called myself Deez Nuts and thought it was funny to see my group of friends call me that.
>>
>>24958402
>Forcing me to pick a nickname when my name is only 4 letters long
Thread posts: 72
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.