[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What kind of Altaria sets will you be using, /vp/?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 11

What kind of Altaria sets will you be using, /vp/?
>>
>>20547325
Me gusta set
>>
>>20547325
Mega-Balktaria @alterialite
>pixilate

Cotton guard
Hyper voice
Roost
To be determinded

Or alternitavely

Cotton gaurd
D-dance
Roost
Return
Depends on what gets buffed
>>
>>20547341
Please, go into detail
>>
>>20547325
@Altarite
252/252+/0/0-/0/4
Sing
Dragon Dance
Return
Earthquake
>>
>>20547445
Not bad, i wouldn't personaly run that set, cause mega altaria looks so damn bulky
>>
>>20547501
Then try Roost>Sing
>>
>>20547512
I think i will, and nice earthquake for coverage. Should have though of that myself
>>
>>20547325
>Altaria @ Altarite
252 HP 252 SpDef
-Roost
-Dragon Dance
-Return
-Earthquake

Creating an undying Cotton Guard tank is just asking to die from Toxic, esp. since you lose Natural Cure upon Mega-evolving.
Cotton Guard + Hyper Voice is the weakest combo because of that reason. It can't boost its stats, and the most threatening thing that set can do is use Toxic, which is ineffective against Poison and Steel type mons, the two mons who resist your unboosted Hyper Voice.

When you have a bulky mon as Altaria with its new defensive typing, you can treat it like Multiscale Dragonite: you can guarantee stat boosts (esp. since big Attaack/SpAttack boosts guaranteed by mega) to enable sweeps.

Dragon Dance is the perfect setup skill, ameliorating its poor Speed and boosting its mega-boosted Attack. From there, you just choose Return for a STAB stronger than Hyper Voice (substitute aside) hitting at 203 base power after STAB, and Earthquake for coverage, hitting the Steels and Poison types that resist.
Roost is for healing, since you'll inevitably be able to deal with the chip damage on mons you decide to setup on, and to help ease against revenge priority you may survive given your bulk. It also allows you to attempt early boosts to pose a threat, then come in later to heal and then prepare for lategame sweep.
>>
>>20547542
It's funny, but Fairy almost totally outclasses Dragon as offensive typing. So you will never run a Dragon move on M-Altaria.
>>
The main checks will be Crobat, Skarm and Weezing.
>>
Im planning on having a safeguarder and dual screener on my team to run with this fluffy fuck, any other potentialy good teamates?
>>20547614
Well yea, it was created to fuck dragon over. So id imagine
>>
>>20547325
Nia (Altaria) @ Altarite
4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
-Dragon Dance
-Return
-Dragon Claw / EQ
-Roost

I'm torn between DC and EQ. EQ would probably be best for STAB though.

please tell me someone gets the reference
>>
>Swablu is Normal/Flying
>MegaAltaria is neither
>>
>>20547792
EQ all the way.

Fairy STAB is resisted by: Poison and Steel.

Dragon Claw hits Poison types for 1.5 STAB, but is resisted by Steel.
Earthquake hits both Poison and Steel for SE damage.

The only time you ever use Earthquake is when both EQ is SE AND Fairy is resisted or when the mon is 4x weak to EQ, as a neutral Return is stronger than a 2x SE EQ.
>>
>>20547792
>Dragon Claw
Makes no sense. How will you attack Steel types then? I highly recommend EQ here.
>>
>>20547893
You forget Fire!
>>
Something that involves perish song, it's just so funny to use.
>>
>>20547842
That's the first thing that came to my mind when its typing was revealed
>>
>pokemon obviously flies/levitates
>gets hit by earth attacks
I've always found this retarded.
>>
>>20547584
*252 Def

Two more sets:

>Altaria @ Altarite
252 Speed, split rest into HP/Attack (maybe some into SpA if needed to guarantee OHKOs)
-Dragon Dance
-Return
-Ice Beam/Hyper Voice
-Earthquake

Difference: traded Roost for Hyper Voice. You're going for an immediate sweep. Unlike the Roost set, this set isn't walled by bulky Substitute users like Poison Heal Gliscor and is your best bet against Skarmory or bulky Crobat. If you can get rid of your few counters early on, M-Altaria should have the ability to power through most all opposition after a +1 boost given how strong its Return is, meaning Roost is less necessary as the only weakness this set has is to priority, hence Speed investment to minimize revenge attackers from outspeeding you after +1/+2.

>Altaria @ Altarite
252 HP 252 Def
-Dragon Dance
-Return
-Rest
-Sleep Talk

So, when you have a fantastically bulky mon with a setup move and a great mono-STAB that's vulnerable to status, you run a viable Restalk set. Benefits of this set is effective immunity to Burn/Toxic/Sleep, and great longevity due to Rest's 100% heal and only 33% empty turns due to Sleep Talk picking DDance/Return 66% of the time when you sleep.
>>
File: 1407624092367.gif (36KB, 286x268px) Image search: [Google]
1407624092367.gif
36KB, 286x268px
So which nature do you guys think would be best for mega altaria? Should we go with offensive natures like modest and adamant or should we use special defensive natures like calm and careful?
>>
>>20548240
Oh, forgot:

Altaria @ Altarite
252 HP 252 Def
-Heal Bell
-Roost
-Hyper Voice/Return
-Toxic/Perish Song

Bulky cleric with self-recovery is always viable. Unlike Cotton Guard+Toxic, Cleric sets will have something to do to support your team other than 'Hyper Voice and Toxic' on your crit-bait tank. Heal Bell also solves the dilemma of fearing opposing Toxic/status. Toxic to wear things down, Perish Song to force switches, prevent opposing setup and guarantee win condition in 3v3s.

>>20548268
Dragon Dance + 3 attacks = Hasty, since the plan is to sweep after one boost. Can be Jolly if you go 3 physical attacks, Hasty for superior mixed combat.

Adamant can be slotted into DD+Roost+2 attacks, and likely even the Restalk set.

Careful/Impish or Bold/Calm can be slotted into Restalk, DD+Roost+2 Attacks, or a Cleric support set.
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
BoostRoost all the way. Perfect way to abuse it's bulk, typing, and good offensive ability/movepool. Either DD with Return and EQ or Agility with Hyper Voice and Ice Beam/Flamethrower/Dragon Pulse. Cleric sets may also have some merit, using Heal Bell, Safeguard, or Perish Song. I'm excited for it!
>>
>>20548268
>>20548499
Basically, breeding for anything right now is inconclusive since we don't know stat spreads and what key break points it may hit with natures.

It has enough build variety to warrant a multitude of natures, thus preventing any one being the 'best' unless you have a specific set in mind.
>>
I have a modest one and i don't even know what to make out of it.
>>
>>20548521
I question whether Agility + Special Attacks will be that effective.

Sure your Hyper Voice is going to hit hard, but you're still only going to have, what, 95-110 SpA? And that's with no item boost from Specs/Life Orb and with no way to boost its Speical Attack.

I'm trying to think of any targets that counters the DDance set that the special Agility set would counter, but the only thing I can think of is Gliscor, who is taken down by slotting Ice Beam or Hyper Voice over Roost on the standard DDance set, while you're still walled by things like Chansey/Blissey and Heatran, something that doesn't hinder the DDance set.
>>
>>20548591
Try this:
Bulky special hitter@Altarite
252 HP/252 SpAtk/4Def
Hyper Voice
Fire Blast
Draco Meteor/Dragon Pulse
Roost/HP Ground/Solarbeam
Without HP Ground, Heatran will wall you. Solarbeam is for sun team shenanigans to go along with your sun boosted Fire Blasts. If you aren't conformable with either of those, recovery in Roost is the best option. You can also run Agility on a 4HP/252SpAtk/252Spd build.
>>
>>20548725
I agree, but I mentioned it for the sake of completeness. I'm hoping that both stats gettin big boosts doesn't necessarily mean equal boosts, so maybe Attack can get a little extra juice instead of leveling the playing field. It's STAB move is stronger and it can boost it. It would objectively be better to get, say, 45/35 or 50/30 instead of 40/40 to the offenses.

Unless, heaven forbid, the wild speculation about Boomburst comes true and it picks it up as an egg move from Noivern. I don't expect it, but it makes at least SOME thematic sense with all of Altaria's sound moves and the fact that GF loves to give Megas new moves to abuse (Blastoise/Mega Launcher, Heracross/Skill Link, Ampharos/Dragon, and Lopunny/Fighting for examples). That pipe dream scenario is the only reason I'd want Altaria getting more Special Attack.
>>
>>20548499
Hasty nature? Why would you want to make it's physical defenses even more vulnerable?
>>
>>20547325
I'm just excited for the versatility this thing will have as a Mega. Tanky offense, cleric support, boosting, and a great movepool combine well with good typing and well-balance stats.
>>
File: image.jpg (31KB, 346x240px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
31KB, 346x240px
>>
>>20549351
That's only for Dragon Dance/Return/EQ/(Ice Beam/Hyper Voice) set, in which you want to use both offenses, and yet need to maximize Speed to minimize chances of being revenge kill. The logic of the set is that once you take out the 1-3 threats that exist to trouble Return/EQ coverage, you can easily KO everything else with +1 Return due to its boosted power and good coverage.

Nobody wants to lower defense, but if you have to choose one stat to lower (since you need the speed, unlike Roost sets with the luxury of extra turns), it should be a defense.
Maybe Naive instead of Hasty, since priority is all physical (and you resist the 0 users of Vacuum Wave) and M-Altaria resists types that usually hit Specially anyways.

>>20549798
Me too, anon.
>>
File: altaria_mega_transform.gif (477KB, 256x192px) Image search: [Google]
altaria_mega_transform.gif
477KB, 256x192px
>>
File: altaria_megaevo.gif (1MB, 245x160px) Image search: [Google]
altaria_megaevo.gif
1MB, 245x160px
>>
This
252 HP /Some atak /some def
Relaxed nature
-Roost
-Return/ Facade
-Fire Blast
-Draco Meteor/Dragón Dance

Still have to know the mega boost to spread the rest of the points but basically is a mixed set. Facade could be used instead of return predicting a WOW and then sweeping with a power superior to that of explosion. Fire Blast for steel and Draco Meteor for physical walls that resist fairy like weezing.
>>
>>20551099
Without Guts, you're still neutered by Burn even with Facade.
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>20551099
Dragon Dance Pixilate Return with Altaria's bulk is a really delicious option. High powered STAB that gets an additional 30% boost as if it was holding a Pixie Plate. Not a bad racket. Earthquake covers most other weakness and Roost allows or to make an effective long-lived offensive tank.
>>
Dragon Dance
Roost
Return
either Dragon Claw Fire Blast or Earthquake
>>
File: 1398828598196.png (147KB, 295x299px) Image search: [Google]
1398828598196.png
147KB, 295x299px
>Alterite
>Not Altarianite
>>
>>20551398
Facade now ignores the burn.
>>
>>20551503
Plus pixliate boost, thats some potentially scary shit
>>
File: DAYUM.jpg (29KB, 500x362px) Image search: [Google]
DAYUM.jpg
29KB, 500x362px
>>20551503
What.

DAYYYYUMMM
>>
Ice beam
Dragon pulse
Sing
Earthquake

Because I don't give a fuck about competitive
>>
Help! I wanna breed myself an altaria in anticipation for ORAS but I have NO IDEA what to build it as!

We won't know the details of its stat boosts for a while, will we? All I want to know is if I'm better off trying to make it modest, or maybe some kind of defensive nature, or what.
>>
>>20552289
Try for hyper voice. Pixilate boost will at least guaranty it will hurt
>>
With that typing I'm definitely going full Bulk. Anyone come up with any gimmick sets using old gen moves or anything?
>>
Bulky dragon dance, probably.

dance/return/quake/roost+adamant(252hp/252atk/4speed)
>>
I have a question about defensive natures on Altaria (well maybe for any pokemon). Altaria has better SpDef than Def. Is it usually better to just boost that superior defensive stat as much as you can (via natures and evs) or is there merit in attempting to balance both Def and SpDef?
>>
File: 1405285014450.png (82KB, 400x800px) Image search: [Google]
1405285014450.png
82KB, 400x800px
Cloud Nine Weather Wiper Support is the only thing I'm bouncing at the wall currently.
>>
>>20552738
Honestly, for me, it depends on the mon and what I have more problems facing.
>>
>>20547387
Both attacks are said to be boosted, so I assume they'll be equal since they are like that now and they promote an equal change. Defense will grow as well. I'd say toxic or flamethrower/fire blast if special, earthquake if physical
Thread posts: 52
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.