[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/dfg/- Dwarf Fortress General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 676
Thread images: 208

File: 6orthoclase-cleavage5.jpg (75KB, 640x560px) Image search: [Google]
6orthoclase-cleavage5.jpg
75KB, 640x560px
Best rock

NOTE: The 42.xx update has finally been released after nearly a year. Be prepared for weird shit, broken things, bugs, and crashes galore. If you find a bug, don't bitch about it here, go to http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt and report it.

Previous thread: >>128318298

>Download the basic game here. Current version is Dwarf Fortress 0.42.xx
http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/

>Official forums:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php

>Find a bug? Don't tell us! Tell Toady! Complaining in the thread will accomplish nothing.
http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt

>Have a question? Check the wiki first:
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Main_Page

>Fireden archived threads:
https://boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/Dwarf%20Fortress/

>Dwarf Therapist:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=122968.0

>DFHack (Out of date):
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=139553.0

>Starter Pack (Out of date):
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=126076.0

>More DF stuff:
http://pastebin.com/AnsHjQ40

>Dwarf Fortress General IRC chat:
http://en.irc2go.com/webchat/?net=freenode&room=dwarffortress
(to connect yourself: https://webchat.freenode.net #dwarffortress)

>A bunch of guides to various parts of fort-based living:
http://imgur.com/a/nGyRF#0

>Video tutorials:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBrdUj1adIBD-vgUodaaxebcdqQ4oEWtg
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLD1A3FE72C0DCAC66 (Dated, but good)

>Text tutorials:
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/DF2014:Tutorials
http://members.iinet.net.au/~morty/Getting_Started_with_Dwarf_Fortress.pdf

>This pasta:
http://pastebin.com/iAduXzjn
Strike the earth!
>>
File: aesthetic furniture.png (1KB, 76x125px) Image search: [Google]
aesthetic furniture.png
1KB, 76x125px
Here, I made some tiles for the most common furniture, as well.
>>
File: aestethic statues.png (1KB, 91x147px) Image search: [Google]
aestethic statues.png
1KB, 91x147px
>>128758497
I also changed the "busts". Their faces are now rounder, and their complexions clearer.
>>
Back to trying to deal with my fire based forgotten beast. That fucker just stand here my rooms on stone trap and burn dorfs what walk nearby. I wonder if I can just ignore it and seal of that area instead trying more FUN.
>>
allahu ackbar

gunpowder when
>>
>>128760303
By modding castes and interactions creatively, it's fully possible to create a special caste of elves, who throw themselves at any non-elf they see, screaming "Amala lale!" before they burst into flames.
>>
>>128758040
>orthoclase
Thanks OP I just puked on my keyboard. And it still looks better than orthoclase.
>>
File: 1422222325804.png (15KB, 536x488px) Image search: [Google]
1422222325804.png
15KB, 536x488px
>>128760785
>>
>>128760876
>microcline
>rock
How can people who play a fucking mining simulator be this ignorant?
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (765KB, 1955x2967px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
765KB, 1955x2967px
>>128758040
But thats not DOLOMITE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STjjwHFW5jY
>>
>another game crash fortunately this time not while saving
>soundsense kicks back in
>\packs\seasons\simoonswerwer /simon-swerwer_danger-room.mp3
>mfw its the Mongolian Throat Singing Song
>>
File: 1394336781791.jpg (46KB, 1280x477px) Image search: [Google]
1394336781791.jpg
46KB, 1280x477px
Asked about it in previous threads, sadly didn't get an answer. My dwarves suddenly stopped supplying the library chests even though they did it before. I have a shitton of ready scrolls and quires, yet nobody moves them to the library. Rebuilding chests does not help. Please help, because I've got such a shitton of scholars now that I dread about the amnount of missed chances to write good works.

pic unrelated
>>
>>128761007
Whatchu got against the best rock, bruv?
>>
>>128762257
>naming your clusters of microcline
not even my dwarves are this autistic!
>>
File: LordGraveldickTheNubOfAnquish.png (164KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
LordGraveldickTheNubOfAnquish.png
164KB, 1920x1080px
So, not sure if any of you folks have tried to claim a site and hold it against competing groups... but this site at least had wave after wave after wave of dorf and elf wrestlers show up, nude, and start to head towards the keep. They ambushed me but didn't actually attack.

I was confused why they weren't showing up until I noticed some enterprising zombie giant cougars and a zombie leopard down at the bridge where the groups can show up, spawncamping the fuckers.

Place was a glorious mess.

I figured they were unrelated to my site-claim competitors until more showed up there later.

So I ran around killing the groups when they showed up, figuring eventually they would stop.

>330+ kills later

>"Is that a fucking horse recruit? What?"

>kill a few more horse+dorf+elf squads while admiring the way the main road through town is paved with corpses now

>playing with them now
>delimbing
>hacking at the guts on dudes
>trying to knock them into each other downrange after sending them flying
>suddenly I notice a special message pop up

>the elf wrestler's lower body slides across the ground, tearing the skin, bruising organs and shit

>It is a gelding blow!

>errrrrkkkk, travel away to save him from bleeding out

>use my gore-encrusted artifact weapon and shield to remove his teeth

>snip his ears and nose off

>blind him

>remove the tongue

>can't get his limbs to sever

>settle for mangling them

>talk to him after a fresh travel-away-heal trip

>he's bitchy of course that I killed hundreds of his buddies

>whatevs, I killed like a dragon and a roc and a hydra, aight?

>begrudgingly admits I'm kinda awesome for a murderer, and agrees to become a hearthperson

>immediately give him my position as lady of The Mighty Crusher of Rats

>him and his horse entourage crawl and trot over to the keep

>I'm super helpful and open the doors for the horses

>he's crawling around nude in the rodent person chunks and giblets from the previous owners
>>
>>128763861
Great. So now the site is yours, and he controls it in your stead, right?
>>
>>128758040
Never played this game but just stopping by to say that I thought that was a slab of ham.
>>
File: JesusWhatTheFuckWasGoingOnHere.png (229KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
JesusWhatTheFuckWasGoingOnHere.png
229KB, 1920x1080px
>>128764693
Nah, I have little real say over it since my group doesn't have a link to a full civ to back it up. Just a placeholder that will get contested constantly and lost easily basically.

Well, his group now, dunno what the difference is when it is left in the hands of someone else in the current version, sometimes it stuck in 40.24 as I recall. Nobody would be cool with me being in charge at this point, I've killed hundreds of people with at least a somewhat legitimate claim to the site now.

Sadly killing hordes of people wanting to claim a site doesn't mean much, otherwise the zombie cougars and leopard would have had a head start on me before I found them.
>>
So killed that flame beast with cave in, off course dorf miner what was doing it had to do it in way to end up in this cave in too.

Maybe I should still honor his stupid sacrifice. Funny eough he fell into my refuse stock pile what was on floor under.

Also somehow I got alot rocks in place where cave in ended.
>>
File: IWasntExaggeratingAboutThis.png (218KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
IWasntExaggeratingAboutThis.png
218KB, 1920x1080px
>>128763861
>main road through town is paved with corpses now

They kept spawning at the bridge to the north or along the road, occasionally in the little side roads to the southwest and north east, but mainly right along this stretch.
>>
>>128765980
Well done. You should definitely honor his sacrifice with a memorial of some kind.
>>
starter pack when
>>
>>128765118
Great now I see it.
>>
File: file.png (99KB, 545x195px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
99KB, 545x195px
>setfps 500
>>
File: yoko9.png (76KB, 243x222px) Image search: [Google]
yoko9.png
76KB, 243x222px
>>128770007
haha, sweet mem, DUDE
>>
File: download.png (3KB, 240x200px) Image search: [Google]
download.png
3KB, 240x200px
>>128771006
Thanks!
>>
File: tapered town 2.png (169KB, 1152x1206px) Image search: [Google]
tapered town 2.png
169KB, 1152x1206px
>>128772643
3comfy5me
>>
>>128753854
>a dwarf in the last migrant wave just ascended to King

Things are worse than I anticipated.
>>
>>128773429
fucking elf
>>
File: man thinking.jpg (1MB, 1386x1385px) Image search: [Google]
man thinking.jpg
1MB, 1386x1385px
Is Dwarf Fortress art?
>>
>>128777450
No, it's a video game
>>
I've been trying out DF this past week, assuming it to be a game of legendary difficulty and autism.

But aside from the aggressively mediocre UI where no two menus agree on how menus should work, I haven't seen much challenge.

It would appear that a fortress of the default max population can be fed and boozed with only two working dwarves. The other 5 starters are enough labor to dig, furnish, and equip a fortress of arbitrary size. And my pack of dogs seems more than capable of killing the forgotten beasts and other jerks that have come through, making my death traps redundant.

Which leaves me with 150+ dwarves loafing on my stone couches(after the few thousand button presses required to inform them their shit skills will not be required).

Have I unwittingly started all my games on the newb difficulty setting? Or are the basic resources and logistics really this simple?

Have I just been (un)lucky enough to roll maps with no legitimate threats?
>>
>>128778481
I mostly agree that the game is not that zomghard, but
>war dogs are capable of killing FBs
This is the point where I was sure you're trolling. Unless your FBs are all made out of snow or something you're a filthy liar.
Try digging deeper, you might find something more challenging there.
>>
>>128778481
>a game of legendary difficulty and autism
This is the dumbest DF related meme there is, and it appears that it's only inexperienced players who use it. The only exceptionally challenging element in the game is the UI.

Your fort will get harder challenges than those you mentioned, though. Assuming you have embarked where goblins can reach you, you'll receive siegers, and I guarantee that more than dogs will be needed for those. Then, there are the occational FB's that use webs and fire, making them pretty hard.
>>
>>128778481
>And my pack of dogs seems more than capable of killing the forgotten beasts and other jerks that have come through
Yeah, nah

>Which leaves me with 150+ dwarves loafing on my stone couches
Why don't you think of something for them to do then?

>(after the few thousand button presses required to inform them their shit skills will not be required)
Well, that's simply your own fault for being a retard.

>Have I just been (un)lucky enough to roll maps with no legitimate threats?
You can literally see how dangerous the part of the map is on which you embark.

>but muh 'gaem is hard' memes
It's not hard, it's hard to get into.
It's extremely easy to get a fort going, especially when you embark in a non-evil zone.
>>
>>128778921
Not actually trolling on the dogs vs beasts.

Only had 3 spawn thus far, one showed up in the caverns and then walked off? Never found it after the initial spawn. Dogs definitely chewed up the other two.
>>
>>128778481
>Or are the basic resources and logistics really this simple?
They are, yes. Especially farming is in dire need of an overhaul. Will happen at some point, possibly when global economy is implemented in 12 years.

Overpowered traps and the inconsistent menus are known issues as well.

One aspect the game is better in, which largely get lost in fortress mode: creating a rich, dynamic fantasy world with its own history.
If that sounds interesting to you, check out Legends mode (or rather, various 3rd party programs to view the history information) and try adventurer mode. The latter is still much less polished than fortress mode, but depending on your preferences, you will get a lot of enjoyment out of that.

Alternatively, consider fortress mode more of a fortress design mode, and less of a survival thing.
>>
>>128759784
I remember kicking minecart into one. If you're felling somewhat sympathetic to this >>128760303 individual, you can make dwarf drive the minecart.
>>
how do i taverns, wiki says i can make them from dining rooms or meeting hall zones but i don't see anything tavern related when i check those
>>
>>128778481
I was like you until I got my first goblin siege of 10 goblins where my fort without army was wiped out.

>And my pack of dogs seems more than capable of killing the forgotten beasts and other jerks that have come through, making my death traps redundant.
You mean werebeast. Those are not same.
>>
>>128780207
i -> go to the meeting hall/dining room zone -> there should be an option triggered by an l (L) key
>>
How do I stop my embark wagons from going on cliffs and spilling shit everywhere as soon as I embark?
>>
>>128779146
>>128779357
>This is the dumbest DF related meme
>but muh 'gaem is hard' memes
What other information do you expect I had to go off of when I lacked first hand experience? We all develop impressions of things based on word of mouth. And the more authoritative sources(wiki, forums) seem to perpetuate these rumors, so a newcomer doesn't have much chance to escape them now do they?

>The only exceptionally challenging element in the game is the UI.
>It's not hard, it's hard to get into.
and >>128779585

More or less confirming my educated guesses then, thanks for your responses.

>>128779357
Also, you're kind of a fuckwit m8.
>>
File: df underworld.jpg (113KB, 602x701px) Image search: [Google]
df underworld.jpg
113KB, 602x701px
>digging deeper
>oh shit adamantine
>designate stairs through the middle of the adamantine pillar
>suddenly underworld

fuck i didnt know the adamantine pillars could be hollow and just lead straight the fuck down to the underworld. i managed to build a wall separating me and the demons so now they're just rampaging through the upper cavern. if i seal off my fort's surface entrance and have a miner tunnel down from the outside to release the demons to the surface will they leave my embark area or just hang around?
>>
>>128780629
>And the more authoritative sources(wiki, forums) seem to perpetuate these rumors
Those state that the game has an immense learning curve, which is true.
That doesn't make getting a simple fort off the ground 'hard'

>Also, you're kind of a fuckwit m8.
Hey, at least I'm not such a retard as to manually change labors, or complain the game is too easy because you embarked on a low savagery/evil location.

But complain some more that 150 dwarves are doing nothing because you yourself instructed them to do just that.
>>
>>128780780
-Pls. Quail Demon, I've gave you access to the surface, would you leave, just go.
-No.
>>
Why my dorfs ignore giant cave spiders corpses? Those are in aree I'm using and miasa feels tunnels.
>>
File: 1285852576665.jpg (48KB, 466x336px) Image search: [Google]
1285852576665.jpg
48KB, 466x336px
>>128782109
>miasa feels tunnels
>this whole post
>>
File: thinking_businessman.jpg (120KB, 388x309px) Image search: [Google]
thinking_businessman.jpg
120KB, 388x309px
>>128782109
>Those are in aree I'm using and miasa feels tunnels.
>>
File: 1435585796069.jpg (83KB, 522x570px) Image search: [Google]
1435585796069.jpg
83KB, 522x570px
>>128782109
>Those are in aree I'm using and miasa feels tunnels.
>>
File: 1451458861216.png (95KB, 700x300px) Image search: [Google]
1451458861216.png
95KB, 700x300px
>>128782109
>>
>>128778481
Embark onevil places with ressurection, aquifers, no wood etc.. Impose challlanges to you like not completely sealing, no cagetraps and so on.
>>
File: the-adventures-of-headless-olm.png (54KB, 300x357px) Image search: [Google]
the-adventures-of-headless-olm.png
54KB, 300x357px
>>128782109
>miasa feels tunnels
Goddammit Miasa I told you to knock that off and get back to fucking hauling!
>>
File: horsefucks.png (1MB, 853x1280px) Image search: [Google]
horsefucks.png
1MB, 853x1280px
>>128782109
>>
>>128784110
>horsification comic
please no i hoped this was gone forever
>>
>>128784215
miasa feels to inform you nothing aree ever gone from the tunnels of the interwebs

Also finally saw Fury Road, I am disappointed in myself for not having done this before, not df related but awesome as fuck, girlfriend enjoyed it too, which is good, don't gotta figure out where to hide the body now.
>>
>>128780902
Assuming another person is retarded, building straw men based upon that assumption, and then confronting them with wholly imagined faults is what makes you a fuckwit.

Most people have at least a rough idea of what they just spent a bunch of time doing and usually have a reason for doing it.

As an example:

>But complain some more that 150 dwarves are doing nothing because you yourself instructed them to do just that.

I was testing resource consumption.

My complaints were about resource balance.

Only making use of 1 in every 20 workers should be a death sentence in a builder, not leave you with a surplus.

Suffice it to say I was not complaining that units were doing what I ordered them to do. And only a fuckwit could suggest that such was the case.
>>
File: 1439359633589.jpg (9KB, 303x276px) Image search: [Google]
1439359633589.jpg
9KB, 303x276px
>>128785004
>Only making use of 1 in every 20 workers should be a death sentence in a builder, not leave you with a surplus.
>builder

Well gee, there's your problem!
>>
God new Forgotten Beast, barely after that flame one. Just big snake until I noticed it have deadly dust attack. So it will not be easy.
>>
So... One of my cats just beat a Yeti to unconsciousness. The selfsame Yeti that went straight into my fort to topple every single workshop before maiming my militia commander and leaving. It was uninjured, now it's passed out in a pool of it's own blood next to my entrance. Cat is still unharmed. Interestingly, the Yeti actually ran from it, and the little thing gave chase to whack it some more.
>>
File: 1444813151367s.jpg (3KB, 125x64px) Image search: [Google]
1444813151367s.jpg
3KB, 125x64px
>Zombie nerf update
>5 warriors have been battling a severed head for half a year.
>just a head
>they maxed out every skill fighting this thing
>it is seemingly indestructable

toady pls
>>
File: 2015_12_08_18_39_14.jpg (198KB, 1200x774px) Image search: [Google]
2015_12_08_18_39_14.jpg
198KB, 1200x774px
>Ftw during a siege and all feels lost
>and suddenly one of your dwarfs goes nuts!
>>
>>128790582
Known bug, and not related to the upcoming zombie fix.
>>
>>128790582
The zombie nerf is _next_ version you moron.
>>
>>128787187
Same strategy as before. Cave in traps for any beasts with webs, dust, vapors, deadly blood or made of fire.
>>
>>128792594
Cave in feel like cheating (and to complicated so far). I prefer more FUN standard way with trowing my military at it.
>>
>mfw terms "master" and "apprentice" are used in relation to pussyass rhymed niggatalking and fanfic writing.
How many writers and poets in history were literal apprentices of other poets, anyway?
>>
>>128794165
I mean, there was aristotle and plato. Plato was kind of a shit tho
>>
>>128793831
>Cave in feel like cheating (and to complicated so far)
"Cheating" implies making the game easier, yet by saying that it feels too complicated, it sounds like you think it's too hard. You're sending conflicting signals here, Anon.
>>
>>128794514
>Plato was kind of a shit tho
You're thinking about Aritoddler, Anon.
>>
>>128794573
>then you realize anon secretly wants the D... as in Dragon... as in big bitchy firebreathing lizard of melting everythingness
>>
Oh yes.
>>
File: woman-thinking2.jpg (228KB, 1536x1536px) Image search: [Google]
woman-thinking2.jpg
228KB, 1536x1536px
>>128795426
How can you always be so easy to recognise, even when you post without pics?
>>
Third crash in 2 days. I upgraded from DFHack alpha 1 to alpha 2 two days ago.

I'd avoid it.
>>
File: image.png (328KB, 721x362px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
328KB, 721x362px
>>128758040
>Best rock
>rock
>>
>>128795823
I don't know, how can you be so hard to recognize?

Am I supposed to be trying to hide who I am?

Actually, scratch my first question, I thought //you// weren't supposed to care who someone is, much like I don't care who the poster behind that particular Anonymous 01/16/16(Sat)16:02:19 No. 128795823 > is.

No, you know what, I'm sorry, that was bitchy of me... here, this is just for you, nobody else look at this ok?
>>
just downloaded 42.xx
time to work through the quickstart guide again, I guess
>>
>>128794886
Shit I might be.
No, wait. I'm thinking of plato's dialogues, the ones with socrates sitting around as a mouthpiece. Maybe?
>>
>>128797016
To be fair, everyone can tell who the anon you responded to is as well. He may as well be avatarfagging at this point. He's been posting thinking heads since before the update.
>>
>>128795823
>dat filename
>>
Remind me, would I need a regen to change entities exported wealth requirements?
>>
>>128799075
Wiki says no, but I'm doubtful. Everything else in entity_default needs a new world as far as I'm aware.
Trying to get humans to come trade? I did the fix as well, and I'm almost through the first full summer since changing it, and they haven't shown yet. I'll report if they do.
>>
>>128758615
Keep it up, man. I love how's this tileset looking so far
>>
>>128797709
Oh fuck am I retarded then? The thinking heads thing and bitching about recognizing me is kinda familiar but... I just don't think about who the other poster is. I can go over to bay12 and do that if I want, I did it for years on various other boards, it's fun not caring and just postan and bullshitting and answering questions and wondering why this aree has miasa feels tunnels?
>>
File: BasaltUSGOV.jpg (25KB, 360x261px) Image search: [Google]
BasaltUSGOV.jpg
25KB, 360x261px
>>128758040
This is the official /dfg/ rockfu desu baka senpai
>>
>>128799075
>>128799817
And summer is over, no humans.
>>
File: IWannaLickThisRock.jpg (42KB, 640x371px) Image search: [Google]
IWannaLickThisRock.jpg
42KB, 640x371px
>>128802646
>inferior
>>
File: ss (2016-01-16 at 10.52.25).png (2KB, 327x15px) Image search: [Google]
ss (2016-01-16 at 10.52.25).png
2KB, 327x15px
...URIST PUT DOWN THAT TORCH
>>
File: Front Cover.jpg (380KB, 899x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Front Cover.jpg
380KB, 899x1000px
>>128802646
>>128804375
I was looking for pictures of rocks to post at you guys, and I found... well I found something.
>>
>>128758497
>>128758615
whats the theme of this supposed to be
>>
>15 fps starting a fort no matter what
>fuck this shit windows
>pacman -S dwarffortress
>80fps at 200 dorfs
>>
>>128768912
Never
>>
File: asdfh.jpg (68KB, 449x286px) Image search: [Google]
asdfh.jpg
68KB, 449x286px
Did I kill someone important or was it a fake profession?
>>
File: ArchBrosRepresent.gif (283KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
ArchBrosRepresent.gif
283KB, 320x240px
>>128805826
>wait, are there other spins that use pacman too?
>>
File: ss (2016-01-17 at 12.55.30).png (2KB, 271x14px) Image search: [Google]
ss (2016-01-17 at 12.55.30).png
2KB, 271x14px
>>128804385
Some of the written works are truly hilarious. Here we can see the dwarves question the authority of Gabe Newell.
>>
File: Hardness.png (120KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Hardness.png
120KB, 1920x1080px
>>128807636
>>
File: 1448883824238.jpg (3KB, 83x125px) Image search: [Google]
1448883824238.jpg
3KB, 83x125px
>>128808317
>First mating, then the world!
kek
>>
>>128805826
What does this mean? Teach me your ways
>>
File: ss (2016-01-17 at 01.07.28).png (2KB, 274x15px) Image search: [Google]
ss (2016-01-17 at 01.07.28).png
2KB, 274x15px
>>128808317
Oh shit look what they have written right now
Truly, the dwarven hivemind is real
>>
>>128808607
Yeah, the way the titles work out is great.

>Mating: My Only Mistake
>Never Underestimate The Screw
>The Students Guide To Mating
>Animal Reproduction: Proper Procedures
>Can The Screw Save The World?
>>
File: 1445120320244.png (28KB, 383x400px) Image search: [Google]
1445120320244.png
28KB, 383x400px
>>128805826
>>
File: 1452794415614.jpg (57KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
1452794415614.jpg
57KB, 600x450px
>>128808634
I think it's command line command, perhaps in linux or that masterwork thing.
>>
>>128808634
changed my mind, appears to be a meme.
>>
>>128813573
>command line command
That's fantastic.

On Arch it's easier to grab a terminal window and run the pac(kage )man(ager) -S(ync) someprogram which will then update your version to the current version in the repositories maintained for Arch versions of software.
>>
>>128814667
>arch is a meme because muh dik
>>
>>128815659
Bout time it became a meme... not sure why though... huh, I just realized I've been using it so long that I have no idea how I actually installed it.

I remember using dd to put the iso on a usb stick, mounting it, chrooting to it, then something magical took place I can't quite recall, and I have just been updating to the newest version ever since.
>>
File: file.png (56KB, 1920x1040px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
56KB, 1920x1040px
>1 mechanic
>hes on break
>refuses to make the mechanisms I need and winter is drawing closer
just like real life.
>>
File: Dejection, disappointment.jpg (28KB, 456x422px) Image search: [Google]
Dejection, disappointment.jpg
28KB, 456x422px
>>128815659
I didn't mean Arch was a meme, I didn't even know it was a Linux Distro. I thought pacman was some meme but it was just explained to me is a manager via >>128815432, so >>128811857 has me confused for a bit.

I tried Linux a few times, it's great being able to download any program you want from one manager but drivers for my wireless either don't exist or I don't know how to install drivers, and it's frustrating to do things as I'm supposed to be a "tech guy" and a programmer.
>he finds it hard to use linux, laughing_whores.jpg
>>
File: that kind of fort.png (9KB, 1465x75px) Image search: [Google]
that kind of fort.png
9KB, 1465x75px
>>
File: VVHXCCd.png (117KB, 1465x1007px) Image search: [Google]
VVHXCCd.png
117KB, 1465x1007px
>>128817985
>>
>decide to make gold goblets cause why not, lots of native gold

>17 weight

>a wooden barrel full of ale weighs the fucking same
>>
i have empty barrels, pots and a fuckload of plump helmets but brewing drinks work is red and dorfs can't get wasted, what gives?
>>
File: 1402004257299.jpg (27KB, 550x281px) Image search: [Google]
1402004257299.jpg
27KB, 550x281px
>>128818628
I tried ubuntu, it was neat and all but you couldn't move the freaking "taskbar" - like, part of their design to not be movable, not cool.
>>
File: WhatDidIDoNow.png (153KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
WhatDidIDoNow.png
153KB, 1920x1080px
>>128822248
That's why I love me some Arch with KDE and muh customization options.
>>
File: image.png (29KB, 1366x728px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
29KB, 1366x728px
where is the total value of traded goods gone? i can see only the weight
>>
File: ThatIsAnArmy.png (224KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
ThatIsAnArmy.png
224KB, 1920x1080px
OMG SO FRUSTRATING

So I found an army actually adjacent to a big town it looks like, but if I get too close to them out of travel mode I crash, I think they have tents set up which intersect with trees due to how wooded the area here is.
>>
>>128823735
you need a broker with the appraiser skill m8.

he'll gain novice if you slowly trade things one at a time.
>>
>>128758040
> orthoclase plebs
Microcline master race or bust, son.
>>
>>128823735
You need a broker with the appraisal skill. Whichever dwarf went to trade will have gained enough skill, so just exit the trade screen, make him your broker and go back in. Then you'll see the values.
>>
File: 1451597507860.jpg (237KB, 720x630px) Image search: [Google]
1451597507860.jpg
237KB, 720x630px
>>128760303
You can get it by
installing masterwork
>>
>>128824198
You only gain appraisal the first time you enter the trade screen with each caravan. Every trade just gives a little bit of a random social skill. It doesn't matter though, doing it once gives whichever dwarf you choose enough appraisal.
>>
>>128821936
help dorfs are going mad, is there a bug ith brewing or something? i have hundreads of empty barrels and pots but it keeps sayint it needs empty food storage item
>>
>>128827047
you probably did something silly like told the workshop to take from a stockpile, but didn't tell it to take from a stockpile with barrels too.

build a new still, see if that fixes it.
>>
>>128827047
You need a supply of brewer's yeast.
>>
>>128822360
not the other guy but kubuntu's last couple of releases were bugy because they used KDE 5, which is still rather unstable. i prefer KDE Mint. uses KDE 4
>>
File: ZombieArmyVsElfArmyAnybody.png (337KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
ZombieArmyVsElfArmyAnybody.png
337KB, 1920x1080px
>>128829090
I ended up replacing my old dead gt 440 with a gt 730 but nothing I tried was able to fix the tearing in kde 4, switching to plasma fixed it, so it was as good a time as any.

I'm not as big on the -buntu spins, too much extra stuff brought in for nothing really. When I was new and it was easier that was fine but it isn't that hard to get something like arch running with just the stuff you want to have on it.
>>
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
>Entire military is getting wiped out by a single queen ant woman
THREE SHIELDS
THREE
THREE MOTHER FUCKING GOD DAMN SHIELDS.
THREE.

MY ENTIRE MILITARY MANAGED TO BREAK ONE OF HER LEGS, SHE MURDERED THEM WHEN THEY HAD STEEL ARMOR AND SHE JUST HAD A WOOD SPEAR.

GOD WHY?
>>
>giant elephants
why did he think this was a good idea
>>
File: 14657437563.png (19KB, 1212x294px) Image search: [Google]
14657437563.png
19KB, 1212x294px
>>128832421
Rekt
>>
>>128833140
fukken sick nasty brah
>>
>>128832421
GREAT NOW THE BITCH HAS A LEGENDARY TITLE.
THEY WILL TELL TALES ABOUT THIS.
BARDS WILL SING SONGS ABOUT HOW I GOT MY ASS HANDED TO ME BY A SINGLE ANT WOMAN.

THREE SHIELDS
>>
do wild giant cave spiders not shoot webs?

i tried to make a silk farm but the spider didnt shoot webs at the bait. does it have to be a hostile giant cave spider?
>>
>>128836250
>does it have to be a hostile giant cave spider?
yes
>>
>>128832421
>>128834126
you should now know that the whole "three shields" disinfo was adventure mode advice incorrectly applied to fortress mode.

giving your dwarves more than 1 shield in fortress mode guarantees they will bash all the time and basically never make a substantial attack that will damage something. it sounds like thats what happened. all they managed to do was shield bash a bone till it broke. singular. a.

don't listen to the thread automatically. if it sounds too good to be true and it isn't on the wiki or some thread on bay12 then go to arena and test it yourself.

also you probably forgot to assign them cloaks or something if it managed to kill them with a wooden spear. neck shots are only blocked by cloaks.
>>
>>128836250
if you can capture a goblin or some hostile creature then a trained/tamed GCS will shoot webs at it. but honestly, its much easier to just keep it wild and have it shoot at whatever, a pet or dwarves.

40.xx made GCS farms much more finnicky than earlier.
>>
File: 1402927633151.jpg (48KB, 700x520px) Image search: [Google]
1402927633151.jpg
48KB, 700x520px
>>128838737
It sounds like the ant woman is the one with three shields, which explains why she is FUCKING INVINCIBLE. They have four arms, and so can carry multiple shields or weapons, though multiweapon fighting isn't currently a thing, so they just use shields.
>>
>>128841567
doubt.jpg

unless he did something dumb like make the entire squad hammerdwarves or isn't being truthful about their skill then his dwarves would easily lop off some arms. the only way that makes sense to me is if he had equipped 3 shields on each dwarf. because otherwise, 3 shields or not, someone is going to cut off a limb with steel weapons.
>>
>>128841567
>multiweapon fighting isn't currently a thing

You can multi attack with things though.
>>
>>128841743
If the shields are of high quality and the ant woman has sufficient shield skill, and his military hasn't been practising, it's entirely possible that three shields could pose a nigh-insurmountable defense regardless of the quality of his weapons and armour.
>>
>>128838737
>>128841567
>>128841743
Yea the ant woman had three shields.
SO SHE BLOCKED ALL ATTACKS.
ALL OF THEM
ALL OF THEM

THEY ALL HAD SILK CLOAKS AND STEEL ARMOR.
THEY ALL HAD MIXED UP WEAPONS
SHE JUST MURDERED ALL OF THEM.
>>
>>128841947
I stand corrected, then.
>>
File: lebanese soldiers.jpg (39KB, 300x320px) Image search: [Google]
lebanese soldiers.jpg
39KB, 300x320px
>>128824450
>>
>>128778481
>assuming it to be a game of legendary difficulty
>falling for the meme
>>
>>128841743
First attack was of three low skilled fully decked out in steel armor and weapons, and six marksdwarfs, some of them elite. All of them died.
Second attack was a full squad where I went FUCK THIS BITCH and two ax dwarfs with artifact axes, one ax dwarf with steel battle ax, and three hammer dwarfs, I used a danger room to get them up to level 10 weapon and shield skill.

THEY
ALL
DIED.
>>
>>128843608
Right, I see what happened here. Essentially, those low skill dwarves supercharged her shield skill training, and marksdwarves are hard countered by multishielding at the best of times. What you basically did was feed a mook exp until it turned into an endboss.

Your fault.
>>
>>128844001
Awesome.
It probably didn't help that when I got there she had already depopulated the entire cavern and there was just a giant pile of corpses.
Considering that a vile force of darkness just showed up at the perfect moment I am having fun.
>>
>>128844360
>It probably didn't help that when I got there she had already depopulated the entire cavern

And that didn't tip you off?
>>
>>128844464
...It also already had a name...
I am not a very smart man.
All I did was break its leg and give it a fancy title.
>>
hello /dfg/
>>
File: UnzosProwledthrowersTheHorse.png (267KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
UnzosProwledthrowersTheHorse.png
267KB, 1920x1080px
>>128844464
>>128844609
I had a bat man do that in one of my forts, the whole cavern was just a miasa feels tunnels and he was running around with like 100 kills on his named blood thorn spear or some silly shit like that.
>>
What's the current optimal melee squad weapon choice? I was thinking 5 hammers, 5 axes but as I recall toady made some combat changes at some point.
>>
>>128846258
Bloodthorn weaponry and armour is actually pretty stronk.
>>
>this entire queen ant woman debacle

my sides
>>
>finally get a nice mountain area that's actually mountainy after way too many attempts.
>comfy brook and woods with aquifier to the north.
I wonder how I'll fuck it all up.
>>
>>128847332
>anything other than a perfectly flat embark
why
>>
>>128847450
Bored of flat. Trying to get more into non-symmetry and digging into mountains encourages that. Also it's the dorfy thing to do.
>>
>>128847450
>not doing a 1x16 embark with an ocean at the very bottom and a fucking huge peak at the very top
>>
>>128849938
stop please i'm going to vomit
>>
File: BloodlessInsurrection.png (141KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
BloodlessInsurrection.png
141KB, 1920x1080px
Ha ha, that worked way better than I thought it would.

So I can't actually get close to the * * * cluster just outside of town without the game just poofing on me which is disappointing because I wanted to check out the army status.

They aren't moving in to town yet though, and it says some refugees fled, but there are still people in the keep.

Then I had an idea.

Stake claim to the site, they all ignore me of course, so now I could do the usual thing: kill them all until my claim is respected...

...ooooorrrrrrrr

Bring up the army marching here, get them to join me for rescue, then have them wait sufficiently far enough from the keep that they are no longer in control.

Poof, bloodless victory!
>>
File: le likot face.jpg (17KB, 222x220px) Image search: [Google]
le likot face.jpg
17KB, 222x220px
>page 10
>>
File: CloseEnoughDammit.png (196KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
CloseEnoughDammit.png
196KB, 1920x1080px
>>128851456
As an experiment I retired there, had to remove the squatters but the old owners were still waiting where I left them, but there was also a goblin thief there.
>>
>>128838737
I believe he meant the queen was wielding three shields, like multihanded humanoids often do,
Also, she will die of old age in the following couple of years.
>>
i've done loads of trade with the mountain home but on the civ screen it says imports/exports none

what gives?
>>
File: 7-7-iron-ore.jpg (2MB, 2737x1796px) Image search: [Google]
7-7-iron-ore.jpg
2MB, 2737x1796px
In what terrain do I have biggest chance of finding Iron Ores?
I've had like 10 last fortresses be only silver/copper, and I'm sick of it!
Been checking out places all over the new world I generated with "prospect all" dfhack command, and its all goddamn tetrahedrite and casserite.
>>
>>128823748
Upload the save and report it, mang.

alternatively, wait for a while, walk around and see if they come.
>>
>>128858314
Known bug
>>
>>128858831
>In what terrain do I have biggest chance of finding Iron Ores?
3 in Sedimentary, 1 of them also igneous intrusive, 1 in pits and fortresses.
>>
>>128859303
The search continues...
>>
>year 5
>30fps

god damnit i started at like 100 fps
how low is unplayable to you?
>>
File: 1445978841565.webm (2MB, 720x480px) Image search: [Google]
1445978841565.webm
2MB, 720x480px
>>128833140
>so easily broken, this does not scare me
>>
File: fortt.png (151KB, 1152x1256px) Image search: [Google]
fortt.png
151KB, 1152x1256px
am I going to be fucked by fortress defense mod?
27 dwarves / 10 in military
>>
>>128861109
About 20. Toady did a shit work for this release, yes.
>>
>>128846258
>the whole cavern was just a miasa feels tunnels
is this the newest meme?
>>
File: aestethic tavern.png (4KB, 96x269px) Image search: [Google]
aestethic tavern.png
4KB, 96x269px
Made a nice new tile for the mugs. Now the night life in DF feels complete.
>>
>>128865051
Now redo Toady's DF melody on a synthie, slow it down and put it in your DF folder.

Record a video of your dwarves dancing in your tavern and upload it as webm with the music you just made as audio.
>>
File: 1451489108536.jpg (36KB, 500x664px) Image search: [Google]
1451489108536.jpg
36KB, 500x664px
I feel like a pleb for playing with a graphic pleb but I tried to play vanilla and I just can't do it, so I just downloaded the LNP and will start over again

might as well use DwarfTherapist I guess
>>
>>128858831
>>128860768

Put mineral scarcity on map gen to ~700 and you'll get many more ores, and multiple ores on any location.
>>
>>128864716

Is it much slower than previous versions?

That's annoying. I've been playing DF since around 2006 and it seems like every time I upgrade my PC to run even faster, DF gets a bunch of new functionality that makes it run even slower.
>>
>>128865839
You're only a pleb if you let the opinions of others affect how you enjoy the game.
>>
>>128866391
deep man
also is there a way to use a graphic pack but still have the vanilla graphics on the world map?
there is a legend for the vanilla graphics in the wiki so it's easier to look up stuff
>>
>>128865839
You're not a pleb for using graphic packs: that's just a matter of taste. Personally, I find ASCII far easier to read than the pixel soups that make up most creature graphic packs.

You are, however, a pleb for using LNP. I bet you even waited before starting up 0.42 just so you could play with it.
>>
>>128865839
Why not try one of the more aesthetically pleasing tilesets like Myne or taffer?
One of the biggest issues people seem to have with vanilla graphics without realizing it is the default color scheme. Try a different one.

Another issue seems to be the large amount of black - there are a couple of still more or less ASCII-like tilesets that add an opaque background: CLA, Grim fortress and jolly bastion IIRC. Although I wouldn't recommend the latter one.
>>
>>128867214
I don't think there is a LNP version for 0.42 yet
I havn't even "finished" a single game of DF, honestly I have no idea what I'm doing

>>128867615
I'll look into those, thanks
>>
File: Brown-recluse-2-edit.jpg (4MB, 2175x1776px) Image search: [Google]
Brown-recluse-2-edit.jpg
4MB, 2175x1776px
I regret googling Giant Recluse Spiders.
Those things are 4x the size of an adult dwarf!
And they are wandering around my surface, slaughtering my dogs!
>>
So I had a were-rhino scare a year back, and in a moment of terror I walled him off into a rather section of my mines, and too terrified of FUN I abandoned that set of tunnels and started an entirely new one.

After a year I've decided I'm ready to take my old area back from the beast but he is nowhere to be found. I suddenly remember breaking into the cavern shortly before the incident, and peeking in revealed an enormous smattering of corpses.

The cavern is a miasa feels tunnels and beast is nowhere to be found. Im scared.
>>
>>128868146
>>
File: sneaky snake.png (6KB, 1060x65px) Image search: [Google]
sneaky snake.png
6KB, 1060x65px
This asshole killed 4 of my military dorfs. Each time by bitting off head.
They can't all follow simple order to take station or attack creature.
However maybe I could try to make at least one team to be down there on guard duty all time to prevent this.

Still waiting for some monsters made from something more durable.
>>
>>128867826
>>I don't think there is a LNP version for 0.42 yet
there is on dffd, just it's not advertised on the forums because dfhack for 0.42 is not stable yet
>>
File: 93a0f2c5cfa579efb56a7c1d32e59e20.png (118KB, 1112x401px) Image search: [Google]
93a0f2c5cfa579efb56a7c1d32e59e20.png
118KB, 1112x401px
Its my first year, the spring just barely ended, I didnt even unload my wagon yet!
Quickly turned off woodcutting on a guy, and drafted him into military with an axe.
He rushes for the wagon to pick up the axe, but the Giant Spider ambushes him and interrupts him just before he could grab the axe.
They wrestle a bit, spider trying to bite the dwarf but somehow not penetrating the clothes.
Then the damn giant thing just THREW my dwarf away from wagon, slamming to poor bastard into a tree.

>Time to draft remaining 6 still standing up, and let them have their last stand.
>>
>>128868626
The lucky bastards actually did it!
They bit, punched and kicked the Giant Recluse Spider to death! They tore him apart!
4 dwarves survived, but one is sure to succumb to poison.
>>
File: ibruk the mighty mine-maw.jpg (27KB, 277x199px) Image search: [Google]
ibruk the mighty mine-maw.jpg
27KB, 277x199px
>mfw god's name
Time to sacrifice enemies and dwarves
>>
>>128868838
now eat it.
>>
>>128868626
>Dwarves thrown by zombified giant moth actually explode on being thrown.
>>
File: a6eb87d1935c663e02a59105a3239b51.png (186KB, 1420x738px) Image search: [Google]
a6eb87d1935c663e02a59105a3239b51.png
186KB, 1420x738px
>>128869191
I WILL FEAST ON ITS NAMED SOUL AND RAISE A NEW GENERATION OF MIGRANTS ON ITS FINELY PREPARED MEAT!!!
>>
>>128869940
Damn right.
>>
>>128843608
I think you're lying. It's not even possible for a wooden spear to damage a creature through steel armor. The lack of a single screenshot showing this epic beatdown only heightens my suspicion.
>>
>the very second the final rock door reached the trade depot the merchants left
well I'm glad I traded 167 of 168 at least.

thank you garbage collector traders
>>
>>128870715
Trading away shitty furniture, not just atom smashing it, or quantum dumping it.
Now that's dedication!
>>
>>128870917
I couldn't bear to waste. Plus its much easier for me me sort by value, pgdn past the masterwork doors and trade everything else. Now I have a glut of masterwork stone doors that can be used for random spots that need doors and I don't want to waste gold/silver.
>>
Throwing Axes are the current fashion of my world, glad to see them catching on.
>>
>>128861109
Once it drops to 1
>>
>>128871045
I usually have a big stockpile just for shitty furniture, and every time it fills up, i pull a lever and smash them away.
Though from what I've heard, having all of them dumped into one single quantum stockpile square is more FPS friendly way to get rid of them.
Read it on the FPS section of df wiki or somewhere.
>>
File: file.png (31KB, 454x513px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
31KB, 454x513px
>>128872701
Yeah I feel you. All my general furniture goes in a big pile with a direct shaft to the surface.
>>
File: df stock.jpg (186KB, 396x590px) Image search: [Google]
df stock.jpg
186KB, 396x590px
>>128872701
>>128872763
i didnt know it was a good idea to keep the number of items low

how many is too many?
>>
>>128873415
m8 theres probably as many in my tiny little 3x3 stockpile. they're all on a single tile. look up QSP on the wiki.

>how many is too many
More than you need.

Remember that each item that you have is lagging your game just a little bit. The difference between 1 and 50 might not mean anything but the difference between 1000 and 5000 is huge. Don't build furniture you don't need and get rid of furniture you won't use.

I can see in your picture you have a lot of buckets. If your hospital is supplied and you aren't planning on making lots and lots of lye then ask yourself if you really need them?

Bags are understandable. It's hard to settle on a good number of bags to use. Farmers workshops, millstone/querns, glassmakers.. Lots of people use bags. But maybe you want to move your bags somewhere closer to where they will be used?

Here's a direct tip instead of vague strategy advice. Unless you are using magma glass furnaces far away from where you gather sand - disable sandbags in all stockpiles. They will just fill the bags and leave them on the ground where they filled them. If you are smart you'll build your glass workshops in sand areas. So they collect sand right next to the workshop (very small trip) and then the glassmakers pick up the same bags directly next to the workshop. Zero hauling jobs generated.
>>
>>128861109
>tfw 8-6 FPS

Maybe I really should purge my animals and stuff.
>>
>>128874051
how many dwarves?
>>
>>128873938
>Don't build furniture you don't need and get rid of furniture you won't use.
getting rid of extra shit doesn't matter because due to spaghetti code items and units keep existing after they left the area/atom smashed

even caravans with their shit irrimediably contribute to fps death just by entering the map and leaving

the only working option is to abandon/reclaim after destroying as much stuff as possible
>>
>>128874446
Almost 150. Near population cap.
>>
can dragons and other monsters spawned at world gen cross oceans? or is it possible for them to be trapped on distant shores?
>>
File: aom.jpg (1MB, 1215x1091px) Image search: [Google]
aom.jpg
1MB, 1215x1091px
>>128875065
I'm fairly certain that they don't cross oceans.
Civilizations definitely don't though.
>>
>>128875065
yes...
>>
So I've read that by embarking in such a way that the embark covers a body of water, you create an abstract "bridge" that travelling armies and caravans can use to cross the water.

Does this apply to mountains, as well? Also, does it mean that units who want to cross the "bridge" will be forced to enter your site, even if they have no business there?
>>
>>128876994
Who knows, this was known for the old version. But did you ever see someone passing by in your fortress located anywhere else?
>>
>>128876994
This was for the old version (34.11).
You needed only to embark and abandon right away. This would mark the entire tile as "passable" to abstract units.

As all creatures now have to actually travel on the map instead of just checking a flag (or rather, I assume they now have to check a flag on a more detailed level), it probably wouldn't work anymore.
>>
File: images.jpg (4KB, 165x191px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
4KB, 165x191px
>>128874471
>>
File: file.png (38KB, 1211x87px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
38KB, 1211x87px
>end of worldgen realize the goblins are surrounding this dwarven civ
>year 2: migrant becomes king
>year 4: two migrants become barons
>>
>>128870281
I already closed the game so I don't have any screen shots of the combat reports, later today I can give screen shots of a single ant woman surrounded by a pile of dwarf corpses and steel gear.

I think the main issue is that instead of putting on the full set of chain mail plate mail gauntlets... they decided to keep on their XXpig tail cloth leggingsXX and then they got stabbed in that area, one or two stabs they go down and get stabbed to death. The bitch managed to get in four attacks for everyone my dwarfs made, and blocked all of them.
>>
>>128877712
>>128876994
>>128875273
You can also just use PerfectWorldDF (http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=57428.0) to generate a world that doesn't have any areas separated entirely by water.
>>
File: Robespierre.jpg (562KB, 939x1190px) Image search: [Google]
Robespierre.jpg
562KB, 939x1190px
>>128879217
>year 2: migrant becomes king
>year 4: two migrants become barons
>>
>>128878746
I remember toady and some people mentioning it on the forums. it's like some sort of invisible log clutter that exist forever
>>
File: 1443374337635.jpg (88KB, 625x833px) Image search: [Google]
1443374337635.jpg
88KB, 625x833px
>still pretty new, but AT LAST i have a standing [albeit unarmed and poorly trained] squad ready when the first night creature shows up
>wererabbit
>a pack of war dogs keep him busy long enough for ragtag squad of retards to show up
>they pummel him for a bit, or at least long enough for him to transform back into a human (whereupon he immediately donates all of his teeth)
>entire squad infected, only manage to quarantine (via burrows) the ones who can get there on their own. two infected dwarfs are unconscious, and i can't figure out how to move them before they transform

the fuck was i supposed to do? didn't stand a chance when those niggers turned, and they couldn't get to the burrow/hospital of their own volition. nobody seemed interested in moving them, either.
>>
>>128880993
>the fuck was i supposed to do?
Have a militia with armor and weapons. Or just wall yourself up and wait until the werecreature turns back by itself.

On that note, I still think vampires, werecreatures and necromancers, as well as demons personally leading goblins should be a very, very rare thing. As it stands, it's much too mundane and uninteresting by virtue of its frequency alone.
>>
>>128881190
>Have a militia with armor and weapons.

killing it wasn't the problem - it was the fact that there's almost no way to prevent an infection. and if the faggot that's infected can't walk, that's basically GG right there (unless i wall him in where he's sleeping)

>Or just wall yourself up and wait until the werecreature turns back by itself.

that's implying i just wall myself in and ignore all caravans and such. that's not a great solution.

at the moment i could just pull my entrance further back and rely on a hallway of traps, but still, i figured there was surely some way to handle infections once they happen (i realize you can't cure them, but just quarantining is a nightmare)
>>
>>128881475
>it was the fact that there's almost no way to prevent an infection.
My point is - it wouldn't have been a problem if your military was armored with, all over the body (to prevent the werecreature from biting) and armed (to kill it faster to reduce its chances to bite).
>>
>>128881475
>>128881961

Pressed submit too early
>that's implying i just wall myself in and ignore all caravans and such. that's not a great solution.
No, "until the werecreature turns back by itself" implies a incredibly short time, as you have seen with your own eyes. Your battle with the creature took longer than it took it to transform back.
>>
>>128881961

right. so essentially you're repeating yourself - once a couple dorfs get bit, you probably have to abandon the site if they can't get themselves to a burrow.

guess i'm just walling myself in and leaving my trade depot outside.
>>
>>128882131
>right. so essentially you're repeating yourself
Yes. I'm saying the solution is don't get bit in the first place because not getting bitten is fairly simple.

>once a couple dorfs get bit, you probably have to abandon the site if they can't get themselves to a burrow.
No, but you have to take your time and plan carefully. Then you have to do tedious micromanaging.
>>
>>128881475
>there's almost no way to prevent an infection
How about armor and training? Last time I've sent military to actually kill a were, they've been dogpiling the poor thing without ever getting opportunity to strike,
>>
>>128882647

at the moment, there's no way i can get enough armor early enough to deal with the first were______ that shows up (at least in my last 2 saves).

i can, however, just keep everyone indoors and layer traps upon traps in my first hallway.
>>
I hadn't played in a while and I tried starting a masterwork fortress. I accidentally flooded the whole thing building a well haha.

Back when I played a ton, I liked finding gabbro. If I remember it's very heavy, but magma and fire safe. So, it was good for walls and indestructible stuff in general.
>>
>>128883215
>good for walls
Material properties like magma-safety, and weight have no influence on walls. All constructions (walls, floors) are generally impossible to destroy - even wooden ones.

On the other hand, heavy materials are slower to transport, so gabbro is actually a really bad material for a wall.
>>
>>128883412
I specifically remember forgotten beast flinging magma at my walls once and melting it. Maybe it's been to long, but yeah it was always a bitch to carry around.

I tend to love wheelbarrows though, so I kinda mitigated it.

Guess I was miss-informed or something.
>>
>>128882717
You can bring materials to make armor with you at embark. And traps won't help, werebeasts are trap avoid.
>>
>150 citizens in a fort
>got no instruments
>30 fucken musicians and keep coming
>three full squads of mercenaries
>beyond the hard cap already
>30 fucken petitioners still hanging around eating at my food
Will this be ever end?
>>
>>128884328
It would be sad if they pulled a lever and fell into some lava...
>>
File: at the front door.png (72KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
at the front door.png
72KB, 1920x1080px
This is getting ugly, lost 2 militia now. One was from the starting 7. The other was a legendary spinner (nothing of value lost).
>>
File: squirrelbro.png (107KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
squirrelbro.png
107KB, 1920x1080px
>>128884549
A hero is born.
>>
>>128884328
At least you don't have an over abundance of children.
You can force those musicians to mine and haul stone, these little shits just sit around all day ruining my FPS and eating up my resources.
>>
Is there an easy way to find and floor up Open Space?
I usually dig up and setup my farms in the first layer, before I dig deeper to stone, so now I have damn were-guys dropping in on me through the roof.
>>
File: 1431029872653.jpg (27KB, 228x260px) Image search: [Google]
1431029872653.jpg
27KB, 228x260px
>>128886082
>so now I have damn were-guys dropping in on me through the roof.
>>
>>128886082
just cover up the hole with floors you dingus,
>>
File: aestethic fort.png (99KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
aestethic fort.png
99KB, 1366x768px
It's a special kind of comfy.

The novelty of the tileset inspires me to try out entirely new, bizarro layouts, and since everything looks sweet with these colours, I don't have to sperg about using wood.
>>
>>128887136
Im doing that you double dingus.
Im having problems spotting the damn holes in all the grass, and damn trees keep leaving them after I chop them down.
>>
>>128880109
So they weren't in full steel? That makes sense then. If you didn't have them replace clothing then they weren't wearing their helms either, which how she would've killed them. Dwarf gets a bone bruise or whatever, passes out from pain, queen autoattacks head until dead, rinse and repeat.
>>
>>128887598
Place 30 tables in the dinning hall, they are 4 different kinds of color because I forgot to dedicate only one type of stone to a mason.
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Share your tileset please, i'd like to give it a try.
>>
File: image.png (7KB, 917x426px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
7KB, 917x426px
>>128882131
>- once a couple dorfs get bit, you probably have to abandon the site if they can't get themselves to a burrow.
>>
>>128887832
create a zone on the surface, the number of possible pit/ponds is the number of holes you have, then activate the pond zone and see where the dorfs go to drop water
>>
>>128887598
Gib dl link or set name pls
>>
>>128888296
I LOVE YOU MAN
>>
>>128887598
nice, but does it randomly shit itself replacing some letters with icons like every other tileset?
>>
>>128888095
Even better, build the lever next to the injured dorf. Let him drop it on himself.
>>
>>128889145
the injured dorf is paralized in>>128882131
case so he can't move to the lever
>>
>>128887598
Care to share the color scheme?
>>
File: curses_800x600.png (6KB, 160x192px) Image search: [Google]
curses_800x600.png
6KB, 160x192px
>>128888379
>Gib dl link or set name pls
Here you go. It currently only exists on my hard drive. Just remember to resave it as a .bmp before using it, since I think that the .png transparency is fucked. Also, remember to set the pillar tile to 255 in d_init.

>>128888673
>nice, but does it randomly shit itself replacing some letters with icons like every other tileset?
Nope. The only tiles I've changed are the wall and floor tiles, the mug tile, the flasks, the most common furniture and the statues. The only one of these that occurs in non-graphical contexts is the floor tile('+'), and this one still resembles a '+'.

>>128890429
>Care to share the color scheme?
Here you go. Just remember that several vanilla colours are sometimes just presented as a single colour in this colour scheme, and that they can be a bit hard to read in some contexts(like when travelling in adv mode).

[BLACK_R:0]
[BLACK_G:0]
[BLACK_B:0]
[BLUE_R:173]
[BLUE_G:140]
[BLUE_B:255]
[GREEN_R:135]
[GREEN_G:149]
[GREEN_B:232]
[CYAN_R:135]
[CYAN_G:149]
[CYAN_B:232]
[RED_R:199]
[RED_G:116]
[RED_B:232]
[MAGENTA_R:199]
[MAGENTA_G:116]
[MAGENTA_B:232]
[BROWN_R:199]
[BROWN_G:116]
[BROWN_B:232]
[LGRAY_R:192]
[LGRAY_G:192]
[LGRAY_B:192]
[DGRAY_R:128]
[DGRAY_G:128]
[DGRAY_B:128]
[LBLUE_R:135]
[LBLUE_G:149]
[LBLUE_B:232]
[LGREEN_R:148]
[LGREEN_G:208]
[LGREEN_B:255]
[LCYAN_R:148]
[LCYAN_G:208]
[LCYAN_B:255]
[LRED_R:255]
[LRED_G:106]
[LRED_B:213]
[LMAGENTA_R:173]
[LMAGENTA_G:140]
[LMAGENTA_B:255]
[YELLOW_R:255]
[YELLOW_G:106]
[YELLOW_B:213]
[WHITE_R:255]
[WHITE_G:255]
[WHITE_B:255]
>>
>>128891685
Thanks
>>
>horse bone battle axe
>water buffalo bone mace
>beak dog bone war hammer

I swear if one more child gets a bone carver mood I'm pulling the lever.
>>
>>128888296
>>128888556
>>128887832
plebians. just look one level above the above of the ground that has holes

h = hole
- = ground
\ = air
W = level that you are viewing from

\W\
\\\\\\
--h--

the holes will look different from the ground due to how the game renders z levels below your current one
>>
Question regarding advanced world gen:
I never seem to get necromancer towers on them.
From what I know, two things are important:
-The amount of secrets (which I set quite high, 200)
-The amount of humans, of which there are always quite some (often more than dwarves)

Is there something I'm missing?
I always let the world age for 200 years.
>>
>>128895903
Plebeian is one of those words you don't want to misspell, friend.
>>
>>128897334
Plebian's an accepted spelling tho
>>
>>128897634
>implying simplified spelling isn't already plebeian in itself
>>
>tfw you'll never visit a bar that looks like this irl
On a very related note: the local gobbo civ seems to be called "The Vice of Grooving".
>>
>>128897634
You perk my interest. Could you tell me of a dictionary that recognises that spelling? I checked Oxford, Cambridge and Merriam-Webster, but no dice.
>>
File: aestethic inn.png (4KB, 146x175px) Image search: [Google]
aestethic inn.png
4KB, 146x175px
>>128899096
Oops, forgot pic.
>>
File: comfy2.jpg (145KB, 670x424px) Image search: [Google]
comfy2.jpg
145KB, 670x424px
>>128899284
>>128899096
wait a second, I'll just get my blanket and tuck myself in
>>
Alright. I really want to get into adv mode, so I started at a dwarven hillock and went outside. I am currently sitting on the trade depot, started talking to a swordsdwarf, and for some reason the game is not accepting any commands besides escape. Help. I really don't wanna restart now that I have finally found the surface.
>>
>>128903402
screenshot? I have no idea what you're talking about.
>>
>>128903402
You need to give more information that that, Anon.
>>
>>128903708
Well I just randomly mashed buttons and the game snapped out of it. No clue what the fuck that was. I was at the exit of a dwarven hillock in adventure mode, and for some reason the game didn't accept any key inputs besides escape. It was probably my fault iunno
>>
Is there a way to pump or move air? I wanted to retrieve candy what was beneath, but cannot in aree miasa feels tunnels.
>>
daymn kid, you are gonna be a squad commander someday, just make it out alive
>>
>On becoming a vampire, Strength, Agility and Toughness are doubled
Does this mean I have to train those stats BEFORE becoming a vampire or does it not matter?
>>
>Does this mean I have to train those stats BEFORE becoming a vampire or does it not matter?

Yes. Get them as high as you can before you turn.
>>
File: 1452948526531.png (832KB, 2240x2380px) Image search: [Google]
1452948526531.png
832KB, 2240x2380px
>>128896308
Pls respond
>>
>>128859081
Eh, I think it's the density of tents in a densely wooded spot, but they moved some so I'll wait first.
>>
>>128908038
>Eh, I think it's the density of tents in a densely wooded spot
Well, yeah, but is that already reported?
>>
>>128868146
Poor little spiderbros, they're so cowardly I hate killing them. I'm glad I can distinguish them and spitting spiders now so I don't gotta kill THOSE too.

http://spiders.us is a wonderful resource btw.
>>
>>128908301
You don't "have to" kill any spiders, Anon. NO known spider is dangerous to a healthy adult. Everyone suspected to have died from spider bites have had severe health issues, making the spider bite itself just one contributing factor.

Whatsmore, no known spider is aggressive towards humans. If you've ever gotten bitten by a spider, it's either because 1) You provoked it(in which case you had it coming), or 2) It got stuck in your clothes, and bit you out of fear of getting crushed(what idiot doesn't shake his clothes before putting them on, anyway?).

Even the feared black widow is reclusive as fuck, and even it bites you, it's no worse than the bite of a common adder.

Dangerous spiders are a myth.
>>
File: not a spider.jpg (180KB, 467x467px) Image search: [Google]
not a spider.jpg
180KB, 467x467px
>>128909190
>>
0.42.05 is out

Here's another one! We're still going to be working through adventure reputation/quest/etc. improvements, so consider this a first stage. Other highlights are the fortress mode sparring and mug-carrying fixes. Enjoy your zombies.

New stuff
New hearth orders for killing beasts and fighting outlaws
Added a hunter reputation and cleaned up reputation system around beast-slaying
Made citizens understand their relationship to bandits and added reputation for protecting people from them
A few lizards

Major bug fixes
Made drunken dwarves spar properly again
Stopped dwarves from carrying mugs forever
Stopped adv goblin performance troupes from attacking strangers while traveling
Stopped reanimated corpses from being stuck on wrong side of conflicts
Gave underground populations zone assignments to stop them from erupting outward
Fixed inconsistent underground vegetation generation (which caused underground site maps to generate inconsistently)
Fixed various city vegetation clearing routines which were causing holes in the ground above sewers and catacombs

Other bug fixes/tweaks
Zombies no longer dodge, parry, block, wrestle or run, and they do charging attacks whenever possible
Zombies don't get defense adjustments for body part type and they don't find or stop combat opportunities
Reduced zombie strength bonus (old saves will still be strong)
Made severing all non-smashed heads put down a zombie (can be reanimated if has working grasp, smashing heads already worked)
Made severing/smashing any working grasp put down a headless zombie (can be reanimated if has another working grasp)
Neck gets same combat chance adjustment as head
Made bandits that run off cancel town harassment goals
Bandits camps don't immediately send new armies to re-harass towns
Stopped camp bandits from being placed in trees so often
Allowed save/load in arena
Made creature object load bar page properly
Labeled xml encoding as cp437 instead of utf-8
>>
>>128896308
>>128907427
The number of secrets doesn't really matter much. If you want a lot of towers increase the number of civilizations. Human and dwarf civs both have a chance to gen with a god of death, and every god of death has a chance to grant a slab of the secrets of life and death to a creature that is obsessed with its own mortality. So more civs=more death gods=more slabs=more towers.
Unless you crank the civ number up to somethi g absurd you aren't likely to ever reach the cap on secrets that you set, which is the only time increasing the number of secrets will have mattered. It doesn't hurt, it just doesn't do what you're going for.
>>
>>128908287
>>128908038
>>128909672
>Stopped camp bandits from being placed in trees so often

Maybe it is.
>>
File: lesson.jpg (61KB, 590x437px) Image search: [Google]
lesson.jpg
61KB, 590x437px
DOWNLOAD DWARF FORTRESS 0.42.05 (January 17, 2016)

df_42_05_win.zip
>>
>>128910106
>windows
shiggy diggy no
>>
>>128910106
>slowpoke.jpg
>>
>>128910106
What's broken now?
>>
>>128910565
find out for yourself you faggot
>>
File: 1451253682037.png (91KB, 532x2308px) Image search: [Google]
1451253682037.png
91KB, 532x2308px
>Lasatta Agoamsan, Plump Helmet Man Lasher is visiting.
>I have six Plump Helmet Men in cages
>minutes after she arrives, another gets decapitated by an obsidian sword trap
I hope she doesn't notice.
>>
File: helm plump man.jpg (34KB, 263x343px) Image search: [Google]
helm plump man.jpg
34KB, 263x343px
>>128910691
>>
Will animal people eat the animal version of themselves? I've got a Crow Man visitor wanting full membership and at least 80% of the meat in this fort is giant crow....
>>
File: aesthetic30x36.png (8KB, 480x576px) Image search: [Google]
aesthetic30x36.png
8KB, 480x576px
>>128909190
Recluses like to hide in hanging clothing, hats, shoes, towels, behind wall hangings, tapestries, screens, anything where the big scary animals wandering around the house won't find them.

Every single recluse bite is a case of them being trapped inside a sleeve or something and some big scary animal attacking them by trying to smash them against the inside of the sleeve with their big hairy meatparts and the spider does the only thing it can do when unable to flee, it bites.

They do not bite quickly, and they will always try to slip away peacefully and hide if they can, but guess what we have around the house... stuff that they can hide behind or in and then we end up with someone getting a recluse bite on their arm or neck or some shit so no, I love spiders, I've posted pictures before with me holding a big beautiful Aurantia Argiopes (writing spider/zigzag spider/black and yellow orb weaver) who was totally and utterly docile and chillax.

Widows tend to hide outside or up in the attic or off in a corner somewhere, I see one out of the way I'm not worried, she can keep killing bugs for me.

When I find a recluse it's always when I am grabbing a jacket or hat or moving something to clean behind it, or happen to catch the little spiderbro walking across the wall towards one.

>>128891685
Here ya go, fixed the transparency for ya, and now I'mma go setup my .05 install!
>>
>continue three year old fort after two weeks of not playing
>can't remember what I was doing, might as well strike the earth
>suddenly a massive brawl in the dining hall
>6 dwarves unconscious but the fighting finally stops
>a bit later fort starts turning green from vomit and my brewer is missing
I am confused.
>>
I just spilled a booger's guts, and noticed that they were two tiles long. Most guts I've seen have only been one tile long. Does anyone know how the length of spilled guts is decided?
>>
File: 26.jpg (310KB, 1547x942px) Image search: [Google]
26.jpg
310KB, 1547x942px
Everyone join the smoothing conga line!
>>
File: aesthetic10x12.png (4KB, 160x192px) Image search: [Google]
aesthetic10x12.png
4KB, 160x192px
>>128914310
Normally guts trail behind 2 tiles.

Happily swapping the libgraphics.so from my .04 install to the .05 fixed the libpng shit before it started, oh and here is a regular size version of the aesthetic set with fixed transparency.

I flattened the image then added the alpha layer back, and colored the magenta to it, that didn't work since you put the transparent grey over the pink so it came out green. Then I just selected those colors, put them to new layers and killed their saturation, then doubled them all so they aren't transparent.
>>
>>128909672
>therapist and dfhack are released
>LNP is released
>within 5 days a new version comes out

erry time.

shame that theres only 2 fixes for fortress mode when theres so much broken.
>>
>>128915581
>complaining about fort mode fixes when there was so much added for adventurer mode just now
>>
File: forgoten beast.jpg (704KB, 1480x3092px) Image search: [Google]
forgoten beast.jpg
704KB, 1480x3092px
>>
>>128915007
>Not designating one dwarf to smooth everything to make a designated +5 engraver that can smooth stone faster than you can mine.
>>
>>128917159
I'm having trouble keeping my 80+ pop fort occupied so might as well put them to some menial work.
>>
File: Large mosquito men.jpg (193KB, 1300x802px) Image search: [Google]
Large mosquito men.jpg
193KB, 1300x802px
unpleasant dwarf midnight visit.
>>
>>128916164
Adventure mode will always be a nice afterthought to me. I play Dwarf Fortress.
>>
>>128917446
This is why we seal the fortifications, Urist.
>>
File: tn_1245227653282.jpg (16KB, 220x180px) Image search: [Google]
tn_1245227653282.jpg
16KB, 220x180px
>>128917797
>not playing fantasy world simulator v0.42.05
>>
>tfw my entire army is made up of humans led by a single dorf
I feel like a goblin.
>>
File: 1448712597134.png (83KB, 640x300px) Image search: [Google]
1448712597134.png
83KB, 640x300px
>>128917352
>not drafting anybody without marketable skills to keep safe those that really matter
>>
I read a book about the secrets of life and death but did not become a necromancer. Undead are getting closer what do?
>>
>>128920449
should've become a vampire first

rip
>>
File: tasteful meadhall.png (2KB, 208x151px) Image search: [Google]
tasteful meadhall.png
2KB, 208x151px
>>128915123
Nice, thanks. Not that using the .bmp was any trouble, but still, thanks.

Pic kinda related. After half an hour of painful vanilla experience, I finally "fixed" my .42.05 copy.
>>
>>128868198
This is actually a cool story, do you think he got into the cave? How would he?
>>
>>128909190
That's a bit hyperbolic. While spiderbite fatalities are incredibly rare, it's simply not true that healthy people have no risk of death or serious medical emergency from spiderbites. Anyone can have a severe anaphylactic reaction to a bite, and the only way to know beforehand if you will is if you've been envenomated by the species biting you before. Furthermore, recluse spiderbites can cause systemic loxoscelism even in healthy victims, which can be fatal or permanently debilitating.
Don't get me wrong, I'm a friend of spiders. I never kill them, and kept 22 tarantulas for years. (Which, incidentally, taught me that some spiders ARE dangerous to humans; I still can't feel parts of my left thumb after a poecilotheria regalis bite.) I'm just arguing that countering a hyperbolic reaction to spiders with a hyperbolic generalization about them is dishonest. Dangerous spiders aren't a myth, their danger is just exaggerated.
>>
File: WhoopsForgotToBringAShield.png (123KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
WhoopsForgotToBringAShield.png
123KB, 1920x1080px
>>128921031
Well, it's handy having the transparency fixed and the colors right too because you had the weird green in there, I find the .png easier to work with too. I dig seeing other people tinkering with the curses sets.

After half an hour of exploring I went down to see how the bandits react since they stay below the keep appropriately now.

It, didn't end well once I got cornered without good combat gear and shit.
>>128921739
I wasn't making a hyperbolic statement about spiders btw, I really do love having them around the house, and I miss the shit out of Mrs. Skarlett, our porch spider, since she kept all the asshole bugs under control all summer.

Happily she left two great big bundles of eggs up under the eaves for this spring!
>>
>>128918018
nah. i'm here to strike the earth and be a dwarf, building dwarf shit and leading dwarves to prosperity.

since toadys focus on adventure mode:

fortress mode has gotten dramatically easier
fortress mode bugs have come up and never addressed
fortress mode updates are always tied into some adventure mode stuff and not updates to the fortress itself.

and for someone who isn't interested IN adventure mode (having played it many times and found it unsatisfying and rudimentary) then the whole things a massive disappointment.

tavern/library/temple was a nice addition but was not really "wait a year for this" nice. it was half as much as I expected. and naturally, the other half was wasted spent on adventure mode.

which frankly, isn't the game I want to play, have never wanted to play, and if I did I would pick much superior games to play than Dwarf Fortress.

DF does something amazing that no one can replicate despite so, so many attempts. FORTRESS. Not murder-hobo-butcher-knapper-simulator.
>>
>bard goes into a fey mood
>becomes a legendary stonecrafter
>he can't work
TOADIEEEEEEEEEEEEe
>>
>>128923406
You are such an entitled little bitch.
>MUH FREE GAME ISN'T DEVELOPED IN THE DIRECTION I WANT IT TO BE
>>
>>128924482
wow how cucked are you friend? I really have to pay money to have an opinion? I can't complain about bugs because it was free?

What if I donate?
Does that ENTITLE me to an opinion, you little faggot?
>>
File: LookAtThoseTownsAroundMe.png (197KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
LookAtThoseTownsAroundMe.png
197KB, 1920x1080px
>>128923406
What is a fortress without the living breathing active procedurally generated world around it?

I can experience everything df really has to offer from adventurer mode, you're missing out on a huge portion of every world you generate by staying exclusively within a few embark tiles.
>>
>>128924681
>What if I donate?
>Does that ENTITLE me to an opinion, you little faggot?
No.
>>
>>128924834
> (having played it many times and found it unsatisfying and rudimentary)
>>
adventurer mode is utter shit, it should just be removed lol
>>
>>128925367
Yes, because removing content is a better solution than actually making it better.
>>
>>128925656
adventurer mode doesn't need to be in the game and shouldn't

It's dwarf FORTRESS, adventurer and legends mode are bloat that take away time from making fortress mode good
>one year to add dancing and poetry
>>
>>128925840
>more content
>bad
>>
>>128925840
You should try gnomoria.
>>
>>128926019
This isn't a tech tree or some shit where more is always better.

He spent a year making stuff that has a very minor impact on fortress mode.

Taverns have completely replaced dining halls - they do the same shit as before but are taverns now.

Temples have no special purpose and just meet a new need. Individual temples, nice temples, temples that try to match with the deity they are dedicated to, nothing. All you need is a sufficiently large non specific deity temple. That's it. As long as its large enough (11x11 is sufficient at 100 dwarves for me) then that's fucking it. Some boxes and instruments.

And libraries.

Libraries have introduced two new real jobs and two new location jobs. And they do.. nothing. Nothing! Writing a treaty on screw pumps doesn't make your screw pumps pump faster. Explaining and understanding the dwarvish body does not make anyone a better doctor if they read the book. Its just a black hole for you to dump resources into and get flavor out.

Big fuckin whoop man. He spent a year on something that is nice but isn't substantial. Unless you like adventure mode.
>>
File: 1408404246158.jpg (221KB, 500x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1408404246158.jpg
221KB, 500x1200px
>>128925840
>>128926880
>>
File: 1451986762243.png (258KB, 664x556px) Image search: [Google]
1451986762243.png
258KB, 664x556px
>>128927182
>you are not allowed to criticize dwarf fortress or toady© in this thread

Should I just start hamster posting or are you going to stop being a bitch?
>>
>>128926880
The game is alpha, so you can't expect what a game in a finished state would get in an update. Temples, taverns and libraries create a good framework for Toady to develope these features and flesh them out more. He even wrote in the patch notes that he intends for knowledge to actually mean something in fortress mode.
>>
File: 1451570656197.gif (868KB, 540x350px) Image search: [Google]
1451570656197.gif
868KB, 540x350px
>>128927817
>365 days for a framework
alright I guess you're just gonna refuse to admit that the update is underwhelming and keep refusing to listen to anyone that disagrees with you.
>>
>>128926880
Have you considered that you are wrong, and also a faggot?
>the dev for this alpha is laying down groundwork
>it doesn't do everything we want it to RIGHT NOW
>therefore it is DUMB and WASTEFUL
Really nigger? He wants the inventions and treatises to matter eventually. For now, it does still make the world more fluffy, and the crunch will come in time.

>>128925840
>I don't share the same vision for this game as the dev team
>therefore they are in the wrong!
Christ.
>>
>>128927943
That is a little hypocritcal of you since you are basically doing the same thing.
>>
>A vile force of darkness has arrived!
>It's just three dudes
>One leaves immediately
>The other two meander around the edge of the map and then leave

Okay then
>>
>>128927538
>criticizing the best citybuilder that has ever been and will ever be
sure, I realize DF isn't perfect. but toady is doing something that nobody else is doing that's working.

also debating us on what toady should and shouldn't do with his time will never change anything. honestly, you sound like a guy who spent too much time learning how to play before he realized DF isn't a game for him and now you spend all your time complaining about the game and not playing it.
>>
File: JasSittinHereChokinAWombat.png (172KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
JasSittinHereChokinAWombat.png
172KB, 1920x1080px
>>128924918
I asked a question.

What is a fortress without the living breathing active procedurally generated world around it?

Do you think it would be better if the game just arbitrarily created historical events and shit for you to hear about?

Do you think it would be better if it just manufactured sieges from thin-air with pastless dummied-in npc foes?

It sounds like your worlds are boring because you generate them without changing anything, looking only at where you can embark, and thus find adventuring in those worlds lacking in some of the craziness and fun others claim to experience.

Of course we're not going to agree completely on what is satisfying, I mean, I'm enjoying basic shit like skilling up my armor user ability by wrestling wolves and wombats and shit so I can run around faster than 0.394 and play msic and chit-chat and shit.

A fortress is somewhere I make so things can happen, to visit, to resupply, to produce artifacts to take and use in the world, to retire at.

I make it to be a part of the world... you seem to want to make it... for what?
>>
>>128927943
Not him. I'm not underwhelmed. I love the new update. I love all the procedurally generated art forms. I love that my idle dwarves actually have shit to do now. I love that I have more reasons to dig and produce, more ways to give my pointless opulence a point. I love that my fort has more interaction with with the outside world. I love that crafts have a use. I even love that children play now. The only thing I don't love about this update are the bugs, and I wouldn't be playing DF if I couldn't live with bugs.
I think maybe you've convinced yourself that dwarf fortress is supposed to be something that it isn't and is never going to be.
>>
File: StillCuriousWhatYouMakeFortsFor.png (130KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
StillCuriousWhatYouMakeFortsFor.png
130KB, 1920x1080px
>>128924918
>>
Do wardogs ever fucking actually bite things or just scratch things like cats?
Also I recall someone saying wolverines were pussies but my hunter has been completely unable to kill this one, admittedly with wooden bolts. I've taken tons of shit down by just pincushioning them before though but this wolverine just keeps carrying on. Has 4 lines of active wounds and 4 lines of scars and he still beat the shit out of one of my wardogs. Again though, it'd help if they would actually fucking bite.
>>
>>128931624
Nevermind, I found the bug. They won't bite wildlife or some shit. Frustrating.
>>
>>128909672
yea yea yea yea
Yeah
>>
>>128909672
>Haven't even played DF yet and there's already a newer version I need to update it to
>>
File: DoIHaveAPawInMyTeeth.png (83KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
DoIHaveAPawInMyTeeth.png
83KB, 1920x1080px
>>128924918
>What is a fortress without the living breathing active procedurally generated world around it?

I'm honestly curious, did you disappear?
>>
Begone page 10
>>
>>128935730
"Osal Treebreaker, spit that wombat right NOW!"
>>
>>128917446
That's kind of terrifying, I've had mosquito men buzzing around above my fort on and off for years.
>>
File: DefenderOfTheHelpless.png (143KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
DefenderOfTheHelpless.png
143KB, 1920x1080px
>>128937615
>*chew, chew, chew, nomnomnom*
>Fuck you, it's my chewtoy now!

So you can get fame for killing bandits and run them off, they actually took off after I crippled a couple and tackled one into another.

They started to suffocate while I was walking away, went and talked to the queen living in this hamlet (dorf forts are laggy as shit due to people running up and down to the tavern each time it loads, so I made them build hamlets/towns which are lots of fun) and she tells me I am a protector of the defenseless now.

>tfw realize you play df without fortresses

Oh wait, goblins still make dark fortresses, so there are //some// I guess.
>>
File: HolyShitSpearmaster.png (32KB, 1404x804px) Image search: [Google]
HolyShitSpearmaster.png
32KB, 1404x804px
For those who are wondering, that queen ant woman who killed three entire squads died of injures and old age.

She ended up being a Spear master.
>>
>>128941663
Wait if I am reading that right, she also killed A GOD DAMN GHOST.
SHE IS SUCH A GOD DAMN BAD ASS SHE KILLED SOMEONE TWICE.
>>
>>128941847
No no, they just became a ghost afterwards.
>>
How do you set up your taverns? Just some shit dug out of your soil layer, or do you build shit on the surface? Like an elf, or out of proper stone? Or truly dorfy with obsidian everything?
>>
>>128943652
pure constructed gold blocks
>>
File: 2015_10_14_11_59_47.jpg (165KB, 1000x910px) Image search: [Google]
2015_10_14_11_59_47.jpg
165KB, 1000x910px
>>128917968
Urist needs to learn things.
>>128937673
I need to install a giant misquito light.
>>
>>128941663
I'm the doubter from upthread.
That is pretty damn impressive. You should give that spear to your champion and keep adding kills to it.
>>
>>128945258
Now everytime a giant comes to my fort I'm going to picture that nightmare fuel.
>>
File: 2015_12_16_07_23_29.jpg (726KB, 1300x1076px) Image search: [Google]
2015_12_16_07_23_29.jpg
726KB, 1300x1076px
>>128945917
Anything to help.
(deep down I am overjoyed that they are getting a reaction!)
>>
>>128946467
>whenyouseeit.jpg
>>
Do I need any mods to enjoy this game?
>>
File: 1452343532548.jpg (33KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1452343532548.jpg
33KB, 500x500px
>>128948043
no and if you do your a FUCKING PLEEB
>>
>>128948043
yes

this game is unplayable shit without masterwork
>>
>>128948043
No. Probably not, at least.
>>
>>128948493
this
>>
>>128948493
Maybe you just have brain problems, anon.
Vanilla DF is very fun.
>>
File: 1434830622199.jpg (59KB, 565x737px) Image search: [Google]
1434830622199.jpg
59KB, 565x737px
>>128948043
Nah. They might help but overall not really, just a matter of learning the UI and go from there.
>>128948493
>>128948867
This person or people, better known as basketball americans, are faggots and you shouldn't take them seriously.
>>
>>128948493
>Unplayable without masterbloat
>>
File: 1451304567116.jpg (12KB, 300x225px) Image search: [Google]
1451304567116.jpg
12KB, 300x225px
I'm almost done building a thing to flood an area (im fucking around with levers and whatnot for the first time) and just when I thought I could go ahead... winter
>>
rip
>>
>New stuff

>A few lizards

bravo toady
>>
>>128954201
Auxiliary file changes for 0.42.05:

creatures
added skink, chameleon, anole and iguana to creature_reptiles
fixed rhino/giraffe description typos
got rid of lizard eggs again, specified it as common lizard zootoca vivipara in note
corrected monitor lizard toes, added tongues and teeth
added leopard gecko toes, tongues and teeth
>>
>>128954201
>implying the lizards are the important stuff
>bandits behave properly now
>they give fame
>criminals lurk underground
>they're actually a challenge
>I just had to fight my way through dozens of rooms full of goblins
>ran from several weaponlords
>still no armor beyond a goblin skull helm and greaves
>roughly equivalent to copper
>my upper and lower body, guts, and left lung are all bruised, lower body torn open
>managed to become an axe lord
>ran from one room that opened into the sewers and had fourty something goblins
>had an epic battle with them jumping across the sewer gap to chase me
>more started pouring out of an area to the north and almost pincer-maneuvered me
>found another open room north and went into it
>fought my way through a few more rooms
>ran from another couple weaponlords
>tfw no armor still
>found access to the sewers with a stray cat wandering in it

>finally

>exit the sewers
>bruised
>covered in blood and vomit
>strap my axe and shield down
>time to find a tavern
>>
>>128954718
I guess Toady got in the mood for some zoology.

So is it safe to port my fortress over to the new version? Nothing has inexplicably broken?
>>
File: CyclopsKillQuest.png (171KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
CyclopsKillQuest.png
171KB, 1920x1080px
>>128956709
Haven't found anything broken yet, but I do have some good news for folks who long for the old days of 34.11 style questing.

Since the goblins I fought my way past were criminals, two of them were nameless dummies, but one was a known histfig and telling the (goblin) lord of this town about it got me enough fame to become a hearthperson (also got me free booze at the bar) and naturally I asked to see what these new duties/tasks Toady mentioned meant.

>figured I'd be told to go find the bandits nearby and clear out the camp
>mfw it's an actual semi-megabeast hunt
>>
Another question about the new version: how much of the improvements will actually show up in a world which was generated in 0.42.02? Just out of curiosity, since I don't expect I'll be trashing this world any time soon.
>>
>>128909672
>Sparring fixed

FINALLY
>>
File: NiceFameImprovement.png (139KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
NiceFameImprovement.png
139KB, 1920x1080px
Found the cyclops, took it down, came back wearing parts of it as armor, normally a semi-megabeast was good for the upgrade to hero, maybe great hero.

That combined with the criminal got me to legendary hero, and I got asked to kill a giantess next.

Awesome.

>>128959421
Hmmm, I'm not sure actually, I don't think they would require a new world to show up but I can't actually say for sure.
>>
>>128960145
Wait, there was a criminal named TakeJustice the Knight of Judging?
>>
File: AhTheFameIsTrackedDifferentlyNow.png (118KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
AhTheFameIsTrackedDifferentlyNow.png
118KB, 1920x1080px
>>128960260
No no, one of the goblins I fought through trying to get back to the surface from a temple side-tunnel was a known criminal and got me made a hearthperson.

By comparison another criminal under the keep thought it was lame of me to kill Zolak, so I only got fame from the cyclops from him.
>>
>>128946467
I like your style
>>
>>128959421
The only thing you'll be missing are the new creatures in 42.04 and 42.05 and the zombie nerfs.
>>
File: 1266379747121.jpg (108KB, 640x537px) Image search: [Google]
1266379747121.jpg
108KB, 640x537px
Is there ever going to be a plan to allow easier modding in of civs that aren't the core four/five?
>>
File: drunksvszombies.png (79KB, 1280x800px) Image search: [Google]
drunksvszombies.png
79KB, 1280x800px
So I thought I would give the new zombies a test run. I went over to the nearest hillock tavern, cleaned the place out of all its drunks and performers, and then took them to the nearest necromancer tower. Its just begun, and I doubt we'll win, but the fact that they actually have a chance at surviving is pretty cool.

Thoughts on the new zombies, friends? Will you miss the near-invincible zombies of yore with high combat skills and enough strength to cave in a steel helm with one punch?
>>
File: indianajones.jpg (15KB, 244x365px) Image search: [Google]
indianajones.jpg
15KB, 244x365px
>>128962050
>Elves... I hate these guys.
>>
>>128758615
>df porn
>>
>>128758040
Why can't the first video tutorial fuckwit use vanilla graphics?
>>
File: nicenecro.png (48KB, 1280x800px) Image search: [Google]
nicenecro.png
48KB, 1280x800px
>>128963259

Well, this was an unexpected turn of events. My sword skill was high enough that I was able to 1shot every zombie that came my way, and the horde of inebriated, unarmed dwarves with me distracted them enough for me to avoid getting hurt. One of the drunks even had a silver great axe for some reason, and was bisecting them left and right. In about 15-20 minutes of playing, myself and 19 others were able to defeat every single zombie with only two casualties.

What's more, when we got inside the tower, everyone was really nice and friendly. My companions weren't attacked, and neither was I. When I told the leader that I'd killed a forest titan, she even made me lieutenant.

This is two firsts for me: A necromancer tower captured without becoming a vampire first, and a friendly population of necros that are happy to let me integrate. I really have no idea where to take this from here.

In the past I've encountered non-hostile necros (only as a vampire), but never ones that would interact with me beyond telling me about beasts, bandits, wars, etc.
>>
>>128965697
new players shouldn't play vanilla, it is bad
>>
>>128966050
That's a bug (thanks toadie)
>>
>>128966471
Which part is the bug? The fact that the chieftess recruited me, or the fact that theyre able to be friendly at all? I don't even know if I want to report it, being a necromancer's lieutenant sounds pretty cool, as long as I keep corpses away from them.
>>
File: THEPOWEROFARMOK.png (485KB, 1888x1015px) Image search: [Google]
THEPOWEROFARMOK.png
485KB, 1888x1015px
Yay for 42.05.

If everyone keeps going to the temples there will be hardly much need for training the military outside. Could still make them travel over a bridge to the northern one.

101 dwarfs, 77 livestock 15 guest, pleanty of carp and flying creatures. Just wanting to kill the FPS.
>>
File: God-forsakenFinger.png (142KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
God-forsakenFinger.png
142KB, 1920x1080px
Decided to explore a bit after killing the giant, I'll head back when I've found some steel gear or finished my powerup quest (still need a hydra and dragon) though I will need gauntlets since you can't make them right/left handed without dfhack sadly.

Figured I'd climb a peak I noticed near the edge of a range.
>>
>where is x
>I don't know but y must know
>where is y
>I have no idea
just
>>
>>128970186
Ask lords/ladies, common peasants don't know shit
>>
>>128805826
>not doing ``emerge dwarf-fortress''

Stay pleb.
>>
>>128970251
>they finally tell me where the guy I'm looking for is
>the location's not on my map
>>
>>128943652
I just dig my main dinning hall and call it done. Since it's first on the list, assigning bedrooms to it is quite painless even despite toadese interface. I also place general temple and library right next to it, so that idlers drifting between those three mieeting zones wouldn't clog up the pathfinding.
>>
How do I find vampires?

No towns people will tell me about them.
>>
File: ohyeah.png (6KB, 1406x76px) Image search: [Google]
ohyeah.png
6KB, 1406x76px
Not if I have anything to say about it!
>>
File: StalkingADangerousBeast.png (190KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
StalkingADangerousBeast.png
190KB, 1920x1080px
After taking down a couple of Rocs and picking up some steel gear at a nearby dorf hamlet I went to a town nearby and noticed a new response related to the megabeast slaying, nice touch Toadese.

>>128970251
Ask tavern keepers, they almost always know where EVERYTHING is, and if they don't but suggest someone else, that person is probably standing in the tavern.

>>128971460
There are vampire purges periodically during world-gen, might not be any in the area bothering people.
>>
>>128971460
Drown entire towns until someone doesn't die from it. They're a vampire.
>>
I'm a dwarf and all but two of the people I start out knowing are goblins. This is unsettling.
>>
>>128972291
don't worry I'm sure they're just refugees
>>
>>128972291
>I'm a European and all but two of the people I start out knowing are Arabs. This is unsettling.
Calm down Anon, the civilisations in the Toadyverse are just slightly less homogenous than in most other fantasy universes.
>>
File: the hills of drinking.png (524B, 173x17px) Image search: [Google]
the hills of drinking.png
524B, 173x17px
At least this fortress is in the best named region for a dwarven fortress I've ever seen.
>>
>helmet snake bro alerted me to a gap in my trans-cavern stairway
ty snake bro, sorry my expedition leader had to cut your head off with a pickaxe
almost had another 'where the FUCK did that forgotten beast come from?' scenario.
>>
File: WellThatIsMetalAsFuck.png (115KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
WellThatIsMetalAsFuck.png
115KB, 1920x1080px
>find one of the weird little square shafts where the sewers run out to near the edge of a town
>check down inside to see what night creature is chilling down there
>actually not a goblin or confused werebeast in regular form
>start letting them climb up after me and slamming them back down into the water
>this happens
>>
It's time to rev up that legend viewer.
>>
>>128976613
Keep us posted.
>>
File: wow.png (11KB, 419x379px) Image search: [Google]
wow.png
11KB, 419x379px
>>128976689
It's fucking nothing.
There were only 2 hungry heads in the world and they done nothing. They just settled there and died of old age.
>>
how high do I have to make a drawbridge in a tunnel to close of said tunnel when it is raised? is 1 tile height enough?
>>
>>128978153
a drawbridge is always only 1 tile high when raised.
Read the wiki for more information.
>>
>A few lizards

wow, this is truly revolutionary and worth running the game just to experience
>>
File: df beast.jpg (101KB, 601x238px) Image search: [Google]
df beast.jpg
101KB, 601x238px
wow that was the easiest fight i've had to deal with
>>
File: WoohooFreeSunshine.png (223KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
WoohooFreeSunshine.png
223KB, 1920x1080px
>>128978634
People recognize you as a beast hunter, lords and ladies give kill quests to their hearthspeople like they used to do, but with the new histfig relationships and interactions and shit in place.

Dorfs spar properly.

Criminals and underground populations hang out in their normal areas rather than rushing up to the surface and triggering constant insurrections/murderfests.

Goblin performers recognize that they're not supposed to be at war with everyone.

Bandits run off when you beat them up, and people are grateful when you bust up a robbery.
>>
File: df inn.jpg (33KB, 154x329px) Image search: [Google]
df inn.jpg
33KB, 154x329px
does vomit fall through grates?
if i grate up my tavern floor will they finally be clean?
>>
>>128982707
I have no idea, but I wouldn't be surprised if you then have 2 piles of vomit, on the grate itself, and on the tile below. Not to mention that this would mean the game has now 2 "item" splatters to track, fucking your FPS further.
>>
>>128983567
god damnit

why cant vomit be treated as a liquid
>>
>>128983693
That would be even more CPU intensive.

Why not have more dwarves as dedicated cleaners?
>>
>>128983785
i thought cleaning was bugged
>>
>>128983986
A lot changed since that time, and I honestly don't know if it's been fixed or not. Especially the job priority update could have fixed it.
>>
>>128758040
If I set a temple for no specific god, I see people crowding in to pray to their specific one. Is there some kind of merit for making a temple for each god/morale debuff for making one big temple?

Also, I see that in the new update I barely have any actual idlers because people spent so much time praying/reading/socializing, and these activities don't count as idling. Dot these activities take priority if I ask my dwarves to do something different? I've noticed that many military dwarves would rather socialize in a tavern than train properly.
>>
File: sss.png (32KB, 662x337px) Image search: [Google]
sss.png
32KB, 662x337px
Sound Sense fucked itself again and can't relauch it.
>>
File: GetTheFuckOffMyAxe.png (137KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
GetTheFuckOffMyAxe.png
137KB, 1920x1080px
>>128985085
Green tasks get other jobs taking over, purple takes priority I think, might be other way, haven't played much fort at all, too much shit to see and do adventuring around.
>>
>>128986112
Every once in awhile I will see some mundane task like socializing or praying written in red instead of green, with an exclamation mark after it. I assume this means it would take priority or something, but honestly I have no idea what it actually means.
>>
File: EnjoyTheHunt.png (160KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
EnjoyTheHunt.png
160KB, 1920x1080px
>>128986570
Might be red instead of purple or it might be different color schemes?
>>
File: 2015_12_08_12_27_47.jpg (277KB, 1200x1186px) Image search: [Google]
2015_12_08_12_27_47.jpg
277KB, 1200x1186px
>>128960671
Thanks!
>>
File: ThatIsAnOddResponse.png (166KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
ThatIsAnOddResponse.png
166KB, 1920x1080px
Bump with a funny convo glitch.
>>
>>128979782
>Bandits run off when you beat them up, and people are grateful when you bust up a robbery.
So it's actually possible to be a no-kill batman who just beats the the shit out of villains and let them run away with their lives, and then get praised by the citizens?
>>
Is there any way to play a fortress mode in 1 world and adventurer mode on other world ?
>>
>>128992545
Make 2 worlds
>>
File: HowIsThatEvenPossible.png (169KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
HowIsThatEvenPossible.png
169KB, 1920x1080px
>>128990242
Yes. If you're careful and not too strong.

>>128992545
Yes. Just make two worlds or copy one and play fort in one, adventure in the other?
>>
>>128992976
>murdering random people, as usual
Have fun finding out that the swordsman was the only living descendant of a great hero who protected the entire civ by slaying plentiful beasts.
>>
File: hone5.jpg (55KB, 600x335px) Image search: [Google]
hone5.jpg
55KB, 600x335px
>So, I had one of these fuckers stop by my fortress around year 2, he is a Web Vomiting Titan.
He started off as uninvited guest, and now he is a permanent resident after he forcibly "evicted" the ~60 dwarf residents and 20 fully bronze cladded military members I had.
Could I get any tips on reclaiming the fortress? I keep sending 7 after 7 dwarves, armed with 7 weapons and 7 shields as that's all I can afford to gear them up with. Lost 3 reclamation parties so far trying to get that lucky hit on it every 2 weeks of ingame time.

Can I increase the points pool I can spend without genning a new world, so I can have at least a 7 man squad fully armored for the task?
Is there a way to get those 7 dwarves to arrive there already armored and armed, or will I be forced every time to quickly put up a military and hope they grab their gear before the Ceratopsid rips them apart?
>>
I know that most generals hate these kind of questions and have a meme anwser prepared,but is there an easy way to get into the game?
Like a basic "starter's kit to DF"?
>>
Are there any guides for the adventurer mode?
>>
>>128994130
Watch the guide -> download the Starter Pack. After you feel like you have a grasp on the mechanics I'd recommend you switching from graphic packs (tilesets) to ASCII
>>
>>128994107
Gear up an adventurer with the goal of killing it.
Either from scratch, or you make another fortress, produce armor and weapons, then abandon. Visit it with your adventurer and grab the armor, then kill the beast.

Alternatively, make a fortress nearby and hope the beast ventures there. That should give you more time to prepare.
>>
>>128994153
Yes. Have you read the OP? Checked the wiki?
>>
>>128994276
colourful ASCII makes my eyes bleed 2bh.
But thank you
>>
>>128994107
Stop trying that. You're not going to kill it with melee dwarves, and you're not likely to do it with marksdwarves. If you want to kill it with a reclaim, get underground and seal yourself in before it notices you, and then set up a trap for it. Either entomb it or come up with a cave-in/obsidian/ice trap. You could try what >>128994304 suggested, but you'll probably repeatedly meet the same fate as your military dwarves.
>>
>>128994276
>graphic packs (tilesets) to ASCII
So much misinformation.

First off, ASCII graphics(CP437) is a tileset.

Second, graphic packs are not tilesets. They don't substitute the ordinary tilesets, but merely provides alternative tiles for certain creatures(that's why most people call them "creature graphics").
>>
>>128994469
You can tweak the colours to tone them down a notch. I agree defaults can sting a bit.
>>
>>128994469
Just paste this into your "colors" file(pic related):

[BLACK_R:0]
[BLACK_G:0]
[BLACK_B:0]
[BLUE_R:173]
[BLUE_G:140]
[BLUE_B:255]
[GREEN_R:135]
[GREEN_G:149]
[GREEN_B:232]
[CYAN_R:135]
[CYAN_G:149]
[CYAN_B:232]
[RED_R:199]
[RED_G:116]
[RED_B:232]
[MAGENTA_R:199]
[MAGENTA_G:116]
[MAGENTA_B:232]
[BROWN_R:199]
[BROWN_G:116]
[BROWN_B:232]
[LGRAY_R:192]
[LGRAY_G:192]
[LGRAY_B:192]
[DGRAY_R:128]
[DGRAY_G:128]
[DGRAY_B:128]
[LBLUE_R:135]
[LBLUE_G:149]
[LBLUE_B:232]
[LGREEN_R:148]
[LGREEN_G:208]
[LGREEN_B:255]
[LCYAN_R:148]
[LCYAN_G:208]
[LCYAN_B:255]
[LRED_R:255]
[LRED_G:106]
[LRED_B:213]
[LMAGENTA_R:173]
[LMAGENTA_G:140]
[LMAGENTA_B:255]
[YELLOW_R:255]
[YELLOW_G:106]
[YELLOW_B:213]
[WHITE_R:255]
[WHITE_G:255]
>>
Started doing minecard tracks. See if can hadle this.
>>
>>128995179
That image is pretty great.
>>
File: WaitWhatTheShit.png (201KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
WaitWhatTheShit.png
201KB, 1920x1080px
Uhhhhhh...

So there's a library in this town, first one I've found in this world, indeed first in 42.05 for me.

I headed over to the keep to chill underneath it and write some books... there's a market out front with a bunch of sleeping merchants as usual given the hour of night I got here... but something seems rotten about some of those merchants.

A little... bony and toothy and bitey... even.

>>128993479
Nah, he was a criminal who had been roaming around the streets mugging people, ran off when I was beating the others to death.
>>
>>128925840
>>128926880
>>128927538
>>128927943

>fucking Toady, why are you doing exactly what you told us you were doing and what you planned to do from the very fucking start?
>why doesn't this alpha update not give me the exact fucking content I want that I never specified
>what a fucking waste of all those dollars I spent on it!
>>
>>128996230
>Nah, he was a criminal who had been roaming around the streets mugging people, ran off when I was beating the others to death.
I guess you're not Batman, then.
>>
File: 1438371387162.png (182KB, 480x368px) Image search: [Google]
1438371387162.png
182KB, 480x368px
>make world
>check out goblin civs on Legends Viewer
>all of them have demon leaders, except for one, who was replaced by a goblin
>check out the demon's info
>"Masli Goldhates the Hellish Subtlety was a demon born in -263 and died in 131 (Struck_ by a bear grizzly"

Guess that civ regrets ever attacking those elves.
Grizzly Bears are some serious shit
>>
Since when can civs attack other civs of their own race?

I just noticed in that two different goblin civs waged war
>>
File: 2016-01-18_193511.png (6KB, 762x144px) Image search: [Google]
2016-01-18_193511.png
6KB, 762x144px
>>128998091
I found this one demon's page
What striked me as odd was that it had an ambition. None of the other demons seem to have that.
Anyone else ever saw anything like this?

>wants to start a family
>attacks other goblin civ with female demon leader
>he just wanted her to love him
cri evertim
>>
File: OnlyAHandfulOfCasualties.png (259KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
OnlyAHandfulOfCasualties.png
259KB, 1920x1080px
The skelemerchants only killed a few people but I froze up trying to write some shit while all the gobs under the town were waking up and shit.

>>128996582
Nope, I kill far too many people and beasts and sentient beasts, but I do it for a good cause... mostly.
>>
>>128998454
>demon starting a family
How cute
>>
>>128995347
Here, I made another version.
>>
File: 1450761208127.gif (2MB, 400x225px) Image search: [Google]
1450761208127.gif
2MB, 400x225px
>tfw 4 dwarves die from a monster
>tfw another 13 die from dehydration because you forgot to keep brewing
>>
>>128999548
So the monster deaths made you laugh, but when the others died, you became serious?
>>
>>128999718
yeah, because i knew some dwarves were going to die from the monster, but dehydration was unexpected
>>
File: OhGreatTheyRespawn.png (247KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
OhGreatTheyRespawn.png
247KB, 1920x1080px
Well fuck, that's why I copied the save, guess I'll need to submit this so he can figure out why this market keeps spawning zombies.
>>
>>128997962
>>
File: dank gnomes.png (2KB, 117x110px) Image search: [Google]
dank gnomes.png
2KB, 117x110px
Dank gnomes came and drank all of my booze. Is there any way to actually APPLY all that gnomeblight? If I assign a gnomeblight stockpile and forbid barrels/pots, will they pour it on the ground?
>>
>>128999281
You made it worse
>>
File: eshgor suckmites.png (9KB, 907x165px) Image search: [Google]
eshgor suckmites.png
9KB, 907x165px
>>128998454
Yeah.
I'm more curious about the attacking another goblin civ part, I've never seen that happen. Are you sure it wasn't a bandit group?
>>
File: Gipest Foughtblock.png (28KB, 402x713px) Image search: [Google]
Gipest Foughtblock.png
28KB, 402x713px
>>129003973
Incidentally, that was the same world with the most interesting kobold ever.
>>
File: 2016-01-18_204727.png (192KB, 975x728px) Image search: [Google]
2016-01-18_204727.png
192KB, 975x728px
>>129003973
Both are normalsized civs, not bandits.
I can show you the populations too if you want.
>>
I want plague doctors being added to this game, or at least outfit what could be used by dorfs doing jobs with high risk of miasma.
>>
>>129004853
mod it in then.
>high risk of miasma
I assume you mean high risk of syndrome exposure.
>>
>>128992950
I do but I cant find option to go to that world. I only have to either create a new world or to continue playing my fortress mode. I guess I could just cut my savegames then paste it back after but is there any other way. I m using starter pack if that helps.
>>
I'm going to start my first proper game of Adventure Mode, and am creating my character.

Are there any attributes that I should just avoid altogether, that do absolutely nothing?
Do Empathy and such affect anything?
>>
File: fwB0t.jpg (55KB, 600x290px) Image search: [Google]
fwB0t.jpg
55KB, 600x290px
>>129005152
>>
>>129003529
Only if you remove the stockpile and then have a dwarf haul the barrels to a different stockpile.

It's kind of fun to fill a room with gnomeblight pools and then release the gnomes into it before watching them walk around it and dissolve into nothing.
>>
File: CanInnuendoSaveTheWorld.png (124KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
CanInnuendoSaveTheWorld.png
124KB, 1920x1080px
>>129004257
That's a pretty interesting kobold indeed. Do you have any changes so they can talk and shit?

>judging intent accomplished
>pacify great
>comedy professional
>conversation professional
>lying competent

I'm going to read that as people asking him questions and he just kinda shrugs and nods or points, laughs, shakes his head, etc.

People interpret his silence as wisdom, pow, he's made law-giver.
>>
>>129005292
Hmmm, disease resistance and analytical ability don't do anything important that I know of, aa might be related to story telling/writing books?

Patience doesn't do anything I know of.

Elves and Goblins can dump memory entirely, very low is the same as superior for them, flat 5000 no variance. I think there are a couple other stats they can dump for the same reason.

Linguistic ability is rarely critical unless you want specifically to make a novelist storyteller who persuades people to hold whichever values they feel like instilling.

Empathy is less important than social awareness.

The rest are useful for combat or music or dancing or speaking or just movement/survival stuff.
>>
I trusted my dorfs skills and inteligence to much and 2 drowned in flooded tunels.

>>129005065
Just butcheres, cooks, bonecarvers and maybe dwarves whith job of hauling stuff from battle field to be safe from miasma.
>>
File: 1360957426816.png (48KB, 691x896px) Image search: [Google]
1360957426816.png
48KB, 691x896px
>>129005364
Huh. Didn't know it worked that way.

I'm gonna go ahead and mod Elfblight into my game now.
>>
>>129005929
Thanks m80

Another question, regarding dream/goal.
Is it even possible to succeed in 'raising a family'?
Is there anything about romance yet in adv mode?
>>
>>129005297
Instead of dank memes could you help out. I m ow trying to make new world and it just does not save them. Is it because I have not retired my old fortress mode?
>>
>>129006379
Not currently, gotta retire them at a fort and do some dfhackery I think for those, so minimize them.
>>
>>129007237
Wait, so what you did is that, right?
>install DF
>create new world
>finished creating new world
>play fortress mode
>save & quit

>create new world
>finished creating new world

And now you can't find the option to play that world?
>>
>>129005965
>dwarves whith job of hauling stuff from battle field to be safe from miasma.

>allow the invaders and, consequently, miasa to actually feel the tunnels that are in agree, instead of slaughtering right there where they've entered the goddamn map.
>>
>>129008012
Yes.
>>
File: holodeck-2.jpg (164KB, 450x253px) Image search: [Google]
holodeck-2.jpg
164KB, 450x253px
>>128758497
>>128758615

I love it. It kind of reminds me of Tron or some kind of holographic simulation area, especially with that color scheme. Does this have a WIP thread on bay12 I can follow?

Also, is Aesthetic the name you think you'll use for it?
>>
>>129008491
Check your save file folder. Are there actually 2 worlds?
What happens if you generate another world? And another?
>>
>>129005481
No mods to kobolds. The human civ was being ravaged by elves, and the kobold group (Gigis) was squatting in one of their tombs, so that may be how he got the job. Interestingly, he became a member of the elf civ after they captured him in a battle. I'd like to think that his great pacify skill is what convinced them to let him live as their prisoner instead of executing and eating him, through comical gestures of obeisance and soothing gibbers.

>>129004479
No, that's fine, the number of battle deaths all but rules out bandit or outlaw groups. I would like to know why the war started, though, and if there was anything notable about the sites attacked. If they had been taken over by outlaws or something it would almost explain it, as I've seen that sort of thing happen internally with human civs having "wars" against groups in their own civ.
>>
File: nohope.png (555KB, 1680x1050px) Image search: [Google]
nohope.png
555KB, 1680x1050px
1st strange mood of this fort.
Mason got possesed.
It will be shit.
>>
>>129008950
I expected nothing and I'm still let down.
Fucking grate worth 3600. At least it will come in handy in drowning chamber.
>>
>>129008950
>he doesn't like mason moods
What, you want a shitty scepter or something? Masons make furniture when they mood.
>>
>>129008598
>Does this have a WIP thread on bay12 I can follow?
Nope. I posted the full set and colour scheme earlier, making this thread the only place on the internet where this exists. I never create accounts on forums or file hosting sites since I'm paranoid about my digital footprints(I may have a childhood's worth of embarrasingly retarded internet activity that I can't fully remove, but I can at least keep it from growing).

I also think I'm pretty much done with the set. I don't want to ruin it by overdoing it, and I don't want it to require TWBT. I might change the tiles for armor stands and weapon racks, and possibly the ones for the dorfs, but apart from that, it's finished. Just download it from this general if you want it. I posted it here >>128891685
and this anon fixed the transparency >>128915123
>>
>>129009357
It's not about profession.
It's about materials.
It's worth less than mastercrafted and encrusted grate.
>>
>>129009209
>Its your own fault for not micromanaging.
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Strange_mood#Skills_and_workshops

Turn off ALL moodable shit on your haulers, and give them Weaponsmithing.
Throw down couple of forges, set to repeat produce bolts, and set to only accept lowest skill level workers.
Those fuckers will mass produce bolts for you that you can use or sell or melt again.
And they will all stop working when they hit 1 level in Weaponsmithing.

Enjoy having a handful of legendary Weaponssmiths and crazy ass artifact weapons when moods start hitting.
>>
>>129008765
It looked like I needed to run it as the admin. That seems to have fixed the problem.
>>
>>129008936
From what I can see there's nothing special about the civs, the sites attacked or the specific battles. They all seem quite normal.
The one notable thing is that one side had their demon leader lead an attack (who also happened to die at the hands of a cave dragon)
This was also the first battle between the civs.

Also notable: there have been TWO wars between these two civs (and no, not battles, actual wars)
>>
File: anon on dfg.jpg (253KB, 1400x600px) Image search: [Google]
anon on dfg.jpg
253KB, 1400x600px
>>
Why are my military dwarves so fucking useless? My friend gave me the most broken combo of metals in the game right now, and I followed it but my dwarves were still decimated in an instant. What gives?
>>
>>129010260
When you have the opportunity will you go into legends mode proper and find out the reason for the war? Goblin civs all share the same values as defined in entity_default, and wars start over value differences being enforced in foreign policy, so it shouldn't even be possible for them to go to war with one another. I'm pretty curious about this now.
>>
>>129011042
Forgot to specify, My dwarves were in full copper armour with adamantine warhammers
>>
File: 2015_12_08_18_26_42.jpg (365KB, 1200x2038px) Image search: [Google]
2015_12_08_18_26_42.jpg
365KB, 1200x2038px
Humans in my fort.
>>
File: DogFagEnabler.jpg (10KB, 252x244px) Image search: [Google]
DogFagEnabler.jpg
10KB, 252x244px
>>129011257
> Heaviest softest metal for armor
> Lightest metal for a hammer

Supposed to be the other way around, dude.

Also it doesn't matter how good your armor is if you can't dodge a hit that will turn you to mush from the force.
>>
File: 1451425359751.jpg (6KB, 172x149px) Image search: [Google]
1451425359751.jpg
6KB, 172x149px
>>129010613
>>
>>129011042
>>129011257
every time
>>
>>129009585
Thanks for the spoonfeed, friend, somehow missed that post. I might try converting this to a square set pixel by pixel, if you don't mind.
>>
>>129009607
Well, you can make anything more valuable than the most valuable artifact if you encrust it enough. But that grate alone will allow you to boost a 3x3 room's value high enough to satisfy almost any noble even if all the other furniture is no quality. Or you could use it to make an indestrictible beast-bait trap. And you got a legendary mason out of it. A mason mood is always a win, just by virtue of it not having been a(nother) stonecrafter.
>>
File: BuenoDogLick.jpg (16KB, 480x236px) Image search: [Google]
BuenoDogLick.jpg
16KB, 480x236px
>>129003529
Functionally, i believe that gnome blight should be an alcohol and not an extract.
That way the little faggots will un-intentionally kill themselves when they drink it.
>>
>>129011360
He looks either unimpressed or apprehensive, I can't decide.
>>
>>129011080
>When you have the opportunity will you go into legends mode proper and find out the reason for the war?
Where would you expect something like this to be stated? I can't find anything in Legends Viewer.

If I can't find anything out, I'll just stick to my headcanon I mentioned earlier: the one demon with a dream of starting a family waged war to win the other (female) demon leader's heart.
Demons just have weird mating rituals.
>>
>>129010260
Wait, do gobs have randomized values normally or did I add that tag in?
>>
New to adventure mode

I just took a bretty bad wound on my arm.
How do I get someone to patch me up?
Or should I just walk it off?
>>
File: 2015_10_05_17_45_28.jpg (205KB, 1200x945px) Image search: [Google]
2015_10_05_17_45_28.jpg
205KB, 1200x945px
>>129012006
They are not happy as normal.
One of them has moved into one of my dwarfs room and is taking his shit. I never knew how rude they could act.
>>
>>129012038
I don't think it exports, or at least not in a way that legends viewer picks up. At least I've never found it. I think you just have to dig it out of legends if you want to know.
>>129012046
I thought it was just humans, but maybe I missed something. I'll look later.
>>
>>129012230
>One of them has moved into one of my dwarfs room and is taking his shit.
Unforgivable. Urist earned that -<-sheep bone bracelet->-.
>>
>>129009585
> I never create accounts on forums or file hosting sites since I'm paranoid about my digital footprints(I may have a childhood's worth of embarrasingly retarded internet activity that I can't fully remove, but I can at least keep it from growing).
Goddamit I feel you. I wish I had as much sex as I have disposable emails and fake accounts everywhere.
> giving fake email, ID and other registries to anyone not important that asks
Thanks god I live in a shithole where the police doesn't do it's job.
>>
>>129012194
Just rest or fast travel. It'll instaheal. Medical practice hasn't made it to adv mode yet.
>>
What to do with caged enemies and monsters?

I can't tame them, making zoo with them don't mean anythings. Selling them is pointless I already have ton of crap to sell.
>>
>>129012230
>plastered walls
When will Toady actually add this? It's a must for the late medieval setting Toady is aiming for, and it will open up for a lot of architectural variation.
>>
>>129013094
Lower them into the caverns, preferably near a GCS or some such horrid abomination.
>>
>>129013094
Arena
>>
>>129013094
Build an arena or drop them under an atom smasher/into magma.
>>
>>129013094
Bridge-pult
>>
File: 10d.jpg (254KB, 1200x927px) Image search: [Google]
10d.jpg
254KB, 1200x927px
>>129012940
The dwarf is reaching breaking point.

>>129013123
I have so many plans when he adds plaster walls.
>>
>>129013202
>GCS
Too bad the 0.40 made all wild animals docile as heck. The GCS will probably just turn into a '!' and panic, before the unlucky prisoner punches it in the thorax, pulping it and instakilling the dumb critter.
>>
File: 1423291149317.png (6KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
1423291149317.png
6KB, 400x400px
>Unmarried dwarves
Get a fucking wife so you take slightly less space you bachelor fuck.
>>
>>129013214
>>129013284
OK, I go with Arena, as soon as my dofs will not be to busy.

>>129013551
Giant Cave Spiders attacked me when I was fighting Flame Forgotten Beast and caused alot of damage in this mess and later dorfs refused to remove their corpses for months inspite of using those tunnels.
>>
>>129012038
>Where would you expect something like this to be stated? I can't find anything in Legends Viewer.
Right there, at the war description page. Just find the battle and hit enter. Then select the line about which war is the battle part of and hit enter again.
>>
>>129014382
>refused to remove their corpses for months inspite of using those tunnels.
So you're THAT anon.
>>
>>129014382
>inspite of using those tunnels.
Did you mean "aree I'm using"?
>>
Fuck , just spotted GCS. I send squad to deal with it before it do some killing.

Also I noticed one captured in cage.
>>
>>129012038

Like this>>129014774
>>
>>129015694
>War of Fighting
heh
>>
>forums are down

PANIC
>>
>>129016251
damn, i was just trying to post a modding question D:
>>
>>129016251
Good. They are cringe-worthy. The most popular thread on the adventure mode board is about "smoking weed", and no one there actually knows shit about how the metagame(or the rest of the game, for that part) works.
>>
>>129016860
>last post jan 11
>no one knows shit about the metagame

Hey, fuck you too nigga!
>>
Why I asumed my squad will handle GCS?

Most FBs couldn't cause as many losses as one this one.
>>
How do you dig deep pits without leaving ladders? I've read about digging each layer out and then caving in the top one, but I have ladders and it seems they act as support. I don't have disposable dwarves to abandon at the bottom.
>>
>Half of squad killed, including legendary ones
Stupid spider.
>>
File: first war.png (12KB, 1197x126px) Image search: [Google]
first war.png
12KB, 1197x126px
Guy with the two warring gob civs here
I checked the first war out

Seems like the cause of the war was the demon leader not liking the other demon leader's domains.
I kind of expected it to be something like this
Dunno if such reasons for war are new or not.
>>
File: second war.png (9KB, 1267x107px) Image search: [Google]
second war.png
9KB, 1267x107px
>>129018819
And here's the second war.
I have no historical events hidden, so I'm surprised at this result.

Note that the demon leader who started the first war already died in that war. The leader during this time (and the present) is some goblin.

One thing to note:
The aggressive civ that started the wars shares a lot of territory with the other civ. Perhaps the reason for the war was due to squabbles about territory?

I could possibly look into the creation of certain sites and see if The Seducer of Avalanches created a bunch of new sites in the territory before the war started, but that'd take a while
>>
>>129018819
Things to note:
The attacking demon leader, Ismir Clubintense, has the associated spheres of Beauty and Chaos
The defending demon leader, Usta the Sword of Cover, has the associated spheres of Discipline, Laws, Nightmares and Order.

So the clash was due to being opposite.
I'd say a clash was pretty likely to happen between these civs as there are THREE opposing spheres. Discipline, law and order all are opposites of chaos.

I didn't know legends could be this fun
>>
>>129019551
>>129019953
Well fuck me. In years of playing DF I've never seen demons declare war on each other over opposing spheres.
Is this a new thing in .42? Has anyone seen it happen before?
>>
>>129019551
It's pretty interesting in either case.
>>
So how value is GCS as pet?
>>
File: 1427477623910.png (163KB, 804x804px) Image search: [Google]
1427477623910.png
163KB, 804x804px
what would the easiest way of switching all wooden bins in use to metal ones?
>>
>>129021938
>>129022387
I haven't played since very long and only recently (read: .42) started delving into the Legends while playing, so I wouldn't know.

I'll probably make a thread on the forums tomorrow and see if anyone else knows.
Would anyone be interested in the save file so that you can view for yourself? I can upload tomorrow it if you want.

Also, side-note regarding >>129019551's unknown reason for war: I figured it might have to do with the fact that the factions had already been at war before. It is not uncommon for two factions to start wars against each other over and over again.
>>
>>129022571
Temporarily forbid the use of bins in all stockpiles. This should make your dorfs carry all the wooden bins to the furniture stockpile, where you can accurately select all of them for dumping. As soon as all wooden bins are gone, you can safely allow bins in the stockpiles again. Assuming you have any metal bins, these will now be used instead.
>>
Are there even artifact armor/weapons out there anymore or are they all books now

I want to collect artifacts as an adventurer but don't know how to look for them.
>>
>>129025424
non-book artifacts in world gen is a future thing. for now non-book artifacts are fort mode exclusive. read the dev page http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/dev.html
>>
I transferred my 40. to 42. but I can't build bookshelves an instruments

fucking toader
>>
Just found out that one of my dorfs (legendary solder) got caged. How? He triggered one of my cage traps?
And somehow others just removed that cage from trap and put in stockpile instead freeing him?
>>
>>129027097
what a retard
>>
>>129027482
fuk u
>>
>>129027376
He likely fell unconscious ontop of the trap.
Every trap-avoiding creature can be caught that way
>>
>nice jail build
>better beat up and murder criminal instead
>stupid dorf justice

>>129027762
That's explains it, he was fighting giant spider.
>>
>>129028167
Then he was probably webbed, which chas the same effect
>>
File: 1427322425286.png (821KB, 707x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1427322425286.png
821KB, 707x1000px
is Aurora the next step after learning dwarf fortress?
>>
How does /dfg/ exploratory mine?
>3x1 u/d stairs straight down until caverns are hit. Fuck the consequences.
>>
None of these morons want to free their comrate.
>>
>>129028434
I don't know where you're from, but DF isn't the game you think it is.

It's not a super spergy and super hard game: it's just super spergy. The challenging thing is getting into it.

If you want the aforementioned super spergy super hard game, you should skip DF and go straight for Aurora.

If you, however, want a spergy, yet awfully entertaining game that puts surprising levels of detail into all its elements, and is developed by an equally spergy, yet pretty cool dude who doesn't give a fuck, then you should get into DF instead.
>>
>>129029246
>not strip mining the entire map down to magma and making a 200x200 cast obsidian tower
>>
File: angry elf.gif (13KB, 491x619px) Image search: [Google]
angry elf.gif
13KB, 491x619px
>>129029892
>raping mother earth through her open wounds
fucking savage
>>
What do you need to do to get someone to yield?
>>
So this visiting Marksdwarf somehow got into my cistern under my tavern and she's just been chilling there for months. I removed the well so I know she can get out, she's on a goddamn usable ramp, BITCH THAT IS NOT A POOL.
>>
Is there an easier way to manage your dwarfs than v and search every dwarf's location?
>>
>>129030132
DF's elves couldn't give a shit about the soil and stone.
>>
>>129032560
What do you mean?

Are you using The Rapist? Because if you aren't, you should be.
>>
>>129034958
>cheating
>>
>>129035717
>Therapist
>Cheating

Go take your arthritis meds m8. Also maybe your super autism pills, because you have surpassed the recommended level of autism necessary to play dwarf fortress.
>>
>>129032560
no, u
>>
>>129029246
>ruining your forts aesthetics with exploratory mining
>>
File: 56544.png (441KB, 1113x567px) Image search: [Google]
56544.png
441KB, 1113x567px
>still new as fuck
>finally have a fort that hasn't been overrun. actually making weapons and armor, delving deeper, tons of food and booze
>been under siege by like 25-30 zombies for almost a year. no wood, no merchants. really starting to feel it
>training a militia of 5 "adequate" hammerdorfs who i've actually managed to outfit with iron warhammers and full iron armor. super proud, first time accomplishing it.
>SEND US IN COACH WE CAN TAKE EM
>they die in like 5 fucking seconds to <4 zombies after 2 straight seasons of nothing but training

WAKE ME UP

CAN'T WAKE UP
>>
>>129039479
I guess they weren't adequate.
>>
>New stuff
>A few lizards
Toady a based.
>>
>>129040540
>>
>>129040658
Still curious about that, what's that about?
>>
>>129041241
He added a few lizards.
>>
>>129039479

to continue:

any advice? how do you normally deal with a siege? this one hit at about the 1 year mark, and considering how hard my militia got shitrolled, i think i probably have to layer my entrance in traps or something.

that is assuming i can actually deal with a 25-30 zombie siege so soon.
>>
>>129042092
train your militia

it also helps to have marksdwarves for ranged combat
>>
>>129042360

they had a couple seasons of training, competent/adequate dodger/armor user/hammerdwarf/etc. how trained would you consider? more than 5? i only had a pop of 23-25 (children). i guess i coulda used my wardogs, but they struggled to deal with werebeasts
>>
File: XUh4DG3.png (190KB, 272x339px) Image search: [Google]
XUh4DG3.png
190KB, 272x339px
>>129039020
>so spiderphobes don't click it
FUCK I DIDN'T READ THAT BEFORE I CLICKED IT GOD DAMMIT

but thank you for putting that warning on there anyway...
>>
>>129042360

i didn't train any marksdwarfs because it'd been so long since i ran out of wood. didn't have enough charcoal to really crank out iron bolts.
>>
>>129042748
Even if it's a 42.05 world (with zombie nerf) they should be legendary in most skills if you want them to fight such large numbers of zombies.
>>
>>129042092
I typically don't send my beards into actual combat until they're somewhere in the professional to accomplished range. Taking a military dwarf or two at embark and making them some starter armor from your pack animals (if you can't come up with the embark points for proper gear) defintely helps.
>>
File: 1453049914173.png (186KB, 399x373px) Image search: [Google]
1453049914173.png
186KB, 399x373px
>>129042973
>they should be legendary in most skills if you want them to fight such large numbers of zombies.

well fuck me. i guess that would probably take a year or two, instead of just a couple seasons.

>>129043196

do you use training methods beyond just training demonstrations?
>>
>>129042092
Did the zombies have weapons? I've noticed they're rarely strong enough to punch through metal helms in the new update. They'll tear and snap limbs all over the place, but they're no good at killshots. Armed zombies, on the other hand, are terrifying.

Pic unrelated but dwarfy.
>>
>>129042954
I was confused because the post was still up on my screen but it shows as deleted in your post, and sorry about that.

>>129041578
Plus a shit ton of improvements for adventurer mode and some bug fixes.
>>
>>129044595

yeah, they mostly all had weapons. i had full iron suits for my meager 5 dorfs, but they got torn to pieces in just a few rounds.

i might have just got an unwinnable RNG. next time i'll hoard more wood.
>>
Speaking of military, is the sparring fixed in this patch? It says something like 'fixed drunk dwarves sparring' which I assume is that.
>>
Someone link me a let's play video with someone good playing with unmodded graphics.
>>
File: HaHaBoosh.png (310KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
HaHaBoosh.png
310KB, 1920x1080px
Shame it lags up so much, it's kinda fun wading into a big melee like this.
>>
>>129043398
They'll start sparring after a while, usually somewhere around proficient, and will spar more often the more skilled they get. It's a lot faster than demonstrations for most skills other than armor. Also siccing them on wildlife or cavern creatures is a reliable training method as long as they're in full armor.
>>
>>129045448
Yes.
>>
>>129048712
Fuck yeah, I'll risk bugs by copying over my save just for that.
>>
Using Phoebus, and I have a blinking yellow down arrow on one of my giant boars. What the hell does a yellow arrow mean?
>>
>>129051836
he's starving m8
>>
>>129051836
Yeah, starving but I wonder why because like domestic pigs, wild boars aren't grazers I thought.
>>
>>129052256
I thought that giant boars were not grazers?
>>
>>129051836
>>129052256
>>129052684
Yellow is distracted. Brown is starving. It's a know bug that animals get distracted after a while with no way to fix it. Can't tell if it actually affects anything, but it probably does affect combat.
>>
>>129056367
Durr, that's right. I'm getting a lot of basic shit wrong today.
I haven't experienced that distraction bug since .03. Bunch of wardogs in my pasture got it. They got into some pretty nasty fights with each other (but never attacked other animals in the pasture) but I don't know if that's related. The pen wasn't what I would consider overcrowded either, nor was there a huge amount of dogs.
>>
Guys...
It's not in the changelog yet, but the export bug, the pitting/chaining intelligent creatures bug, and the dye in barrels bug are all marked as fixed in the next version on the bug tracker.
>>
File: GoGetAJobAtHotTopicYouFreak.png (151KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
GoGetAJobAtHotTopicYouFreak.png
151KB, 1920x1080px
>>
>>129057164
Post a screen
>>
>first time adventure mode
>peasant because I ain't a pussy
Wish me luck.
>>
>>129057712
Go to the bug tracker yourself you lazy shit. Link is in the OP.
>>
>>129058434
I give you 5 minutes.
>>
>>129058629
I'll time it
>>
Begone page 10.
>>
What is better, a long history or a big world?
>>
File: SoThatHappened.png (180KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
SoThatHappened.png
180KB, 1920x1080px
Hmmm, found an axeman, introduced myself, tried to remove their arms and legs then wait so they wouldn't bleed out so I could have a potatobuddy, they respawned fully intact with their limbs laying there, so as I can not dfhack their limbs into a goblet right now I just gave them their own arm and wrestled their weapon/shield away so they'd try to beat me with it.

Then I grabbed their severed arm with their severed leg, which raises numerous questions.

>>129058434
>implying a demigod can't get buttfucked inside out dozens of ways until you level and gear your shit up same as a peasant has to
>>
>>129060391
Depends on what you want
>>
File: BeatToDeathWithOwnLeg.png (53KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
BeatToDeathWithOwnLeg.png
53KB, 1920x1080px
>>129060391
200+ years on a 129x129 is the largest/longest I can generally stand to wait, and this world has like a dozen metropolis size towns.
>>
>>129060391
a big world

so it would be an extremely painful experience
>>
>>129060432
That axeman is pretty fucking chatty for a guy engaged in a desperate battle for life and limb.
>>
>diplomat won't leave
>im trying to get the king in my fort
>he keeps going back and forth to my 2 taverns

this a tavern bug or something?
>>
File: ThisIsCloseEnoughToBeSparta.png (132KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
ThisIsCloseEnoughToBeSparta.png
132KB, 1920x1080px
>>129061208
>life and limb
Nice, the other axeman was in a room upstairs, confused me too.

I've mangled them twice too, I wonder if they're going to highlander on me and come back when I wait again.
>>
File: MustBeATouchySubject.png (116KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
MustBeATouchySubject.png
116KB, 1920x1080px
>>129061759
They did!

I've got three entries in my storytelling options for her, first and last have nothing known, second one was this, must have pissed her off because she charged over and jumped across the gap there at me!
>>
>>129061541
Not a bug, they hang out for a while now. He'll leave sometime in the spring.
>>
>>129062550
spring fucking arrived just now and I have the game save every year and it froze on me
>>
File: ThinkIMadeMyPoint.png (102KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
ThinkIMadeMyPoint.png
102KB, 1920x1080px
>>129062445
...I just found the two Ngebzo Lurkedhorror's I crippled in another room upstairs... I think it WAS the same axeman talking to the master in the other screenshot?
>>
>>129063249
You should start a collection. See how many Ngebzo Lurkedhorrors' tongues you can get.
>>
File: ShitHathISeen.png (253KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
ShitHathISeen.png
253KB, 1920x1080px
>>129063734
Too damn many.
>>
File: lineup.jpg (421KB, 2048x1739px) Image search: [Google]
lineup.jpg
421KB, 2048x1739px
Dwarf fort setting: 2000s.
>>
File: Brawl.jpg (608KB, 2048x1445px) Image search: [Google]
Brawl.jpg
608KB, 2048x1445px
>>129068431
>Dwarf <<pocket axe>> is submerged in goblins head.
>Goblin drug dealer has been struck down!
>>
>civilians keep taking leather cloaks I make for my military
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
File: 1233.png (27KB, 1909x1025px) Image search: [Google]
1233.png
27KB, 1909x1025px
What the fuck is this bullshit? The carpenter has logs right next to him.
>>
File: Kobold Limbo Shak.jpg (429KB, 2048x1140px) Image search: [Google]
Kobold Limbo Shak.jpg
429KB, 2048x1140px
>>129068567
Kobold 1X3 apartment.
This is hell.
>>
File: others.jpg (519KB, 2048x1459px) Image search: [Google]
others.jpg
519KB, 2048x1459px
>>129068739
Dude fuck that shit!
I hate when they have to go all the way to the stock pile! Once I told my dwarfs to move wood into the work shop, but that fat ass hole was looking for wood where the old stock pile was.

Last pic for today. Just other assholes you will find on the streets at night.
>>
File: helm plump roast.png (424KB, 550x439px) Image search: [Google]
helm plump roast.png
424KB, 550x439px
>>129068431
>>129068567
>>129068743
nice
>>
>>129068935
Thanks.
(that helm pulp roast looks good)
>>
File: noice.png (194KB, 826x786px) Image search: [Google]
noice.png
194KB, 826x786px
GOBLINS AND ELVES GENOCIDE BEST DAY OF MY LIFE
>>
>>129073174
>scant two hundred dwarves arrayed against tens of thousands of hated foes
Make those lives count, anon.
>>
File: RunningIsWise.png (133KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
RunningIsWise.png
133KB, 1920x1080px
>>
>>129074459
>At peace with great axes
>>
File: SURPRISEYouAreACrippleNow.png (137KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
SURPRISEYouAreACrippleNow.png
137KB, 1920x1080px
>>129075354
>This is a masterful engraving of a goblin and great axes.
>The goblin is surrounded by the great axes.
>The goblin looks terrified.
>The great axes are laughing.
>>
>>129019551
Do wars in game have actual reasons for them occurring? I thought it was just random.
>>
File: groovy.png (20KB, 800x302px) Image search: [Google]
groovy.png
20KB, 800x302px
>bleak freak
>deathdead
>faintphantoms
So many alliterations.

Also, I'm loving these new hearthperson quests.
>>
>>129079223
I gotta give aestheticanon this, those walls are really cool.
>>
File: ThisIsATest.png (165KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
ThisIsATest.png
165KB, 1920x1080px
>>129079328
>example
Didn't switch the colors since I was just seeing how the walls looked really, but they are cool shit.
>>
File: IReallyDoLoveYourWalls.png (185KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
IReallyDoLoveYourWalls.png
185KB, 1920x1080px
>>129080214
>same spot for comparison
Naturally the 24x28 vs 24x36 rescaling is a big thing, but I'm annoyed that I've gotten used to my walls so much because I want to steal yours.
>>
would there be a way to make a civilization that produces only tombs as far as visitable sites? is it still possible to produce un-visitable sites?

Basically I want to make a race with special items to work as treasure and to be encountered in pyramids in mummy form, but not to do normal stuff.

Possible?
>>
>>129080593
Give them [BUILDS_OUTDOOR_TOMBS] and I guess caves?
>>
>>128824252
>>128758040

UMMMM...!?!? k
>>
>>129022571
but why?
>>
>>128764693
>>128763861
Utterly fucking bizarre, but interesting stuff. Might be interesting to capture a goblin civ on behalf of derfs or whatever.
>>
When playing adventure mode, every few steps the game freezes for a moment. It's been a thing for as long back as i can recall, but i never really wondered if there was a way to stop it until now. My guess is it's loading each individual section of the world as you walk to it.

It's insanely annoying, and makes me hate having to walk through mountains or other places I can't fast travel.

Is there any way to make it stop, or at least make it less frequent?
>>
File: where were you when.png (8KB, 712x91px) Image search: [Google]
where were you when.png
8KB, 712x91px
>tfw I can never save the lady's brother and sister
>>
>>129080870
great idea.
>>
>>129081648
No.
>>
>>129081648
Use Accelerated mods etc to trim the fat and things will go faster.
>>
Does Therapist work with 42.05?
>>
>>129081970
I would imagine so, not much has changed.
>>
File: medusa.jpg (804KB, 743x990px) Image search: [Google]
medusa.jpg
804KB, 743x990px
So I want to make a medusa antagonist race, as part of a concept of making a number of enemy civilizations whose members are megabeast strong, for whatever masochistic reason...

My questions are:
1. is it possible to make a material they can work for weapons (especially arrows) that poisons people without DFHack?
2. I'm thinking they should have an ability that is relatively short ranged, to petrify people who have eyes. Short cooldown. The statues then have the ability to make friendly creatures blind themselves temporarily, activated when they see a medusa. Would this work? The description would be something like "quickly closes their eyes." The petrify syndrome wouldn't work with someone with this "blinding syndrome," it being basically that they learn to cover their eyes when attempting to fight a medusa.
>>
>>129082723
Oh and also, if there's a better way to put a limit on their stone gaze, I'm all ears. I figure having to fight them blind would be ideal, though.
>>
What does it mean that the starterpack is out of date?
Does it mean that I will get an older version of the game or that it's currently in an unusable "pile of garbage" state?
>>
Is there actually any way to meet all the needs you have in adventure mode? How do I perform "self examination"? Or "think abstractly"?
>>
File: ss+(2016-01-19+at+05.32.29).png (85KB, 997x524px) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2016-01-19+at+05.32.29).png
85KB, 997x524px
I just lost my shit over this mountain
It looks like goblin flipping off to everyone else on near continent
>>
>>129085519
Many of these elements are most relevant to Fortress mode. For example, crank stress, depression and anger to the minimum to either eliminate or nearly eliminate the chance you will have any sort of tantrum or melancholy.
>>
File: uristfindsthemicrocline.png (3KB, 660x360px) Image search: [Google]
uristfindsthemicrocline.png
3KB, 660x360px
Haven't played dorfs in a while.

Is this game optimized? Does having a large world still impacts your CPU and your game? I used to generate small world so I could have lots of dorfs and have *stable* fps.
>>
>>129081648
yes

install gentoo

I'm serious it literally quadrupled my fps
>>
>>129085424
it means the starter pack maintainer hasn't updated it to use the latest DF version. It also means that this is most likely because some essential utilities or graphic packs that are shipped with the various starter packs (DFhack, the rapist, phoebus, etc) haven't been updated by their respective maintainers.

The old versions for older DF releases are still available and did not suddenly become piles of garbage.

Although any such convenience tools are to an extend always piles of garbage, as they tend to accumulate all the potential issues from every single part AND introduce another layer of complexity (and hence another layer of bugs and problems) on top of that.
>>
I need a rapist for the latest version of DF.
>>
>>129087852
>I need a rapist for the latest version of DF
Just do it like Germany and set your migrant limit higher.
>>
>>129087852
then go play Sims until it's released faggot
>>
>>129088775
>let the migrants idle, eat your food and drink your ale
Germany Simulator 2016
>>
>>129088972
I'll come play with your asshole
>>
File: whoops.png (53KB, 523x497px) Image search: [Google]
whoops.png
53KB, 523x497px
>>129088775
>>129089013
>[POPULATION_CAP:INF]
>[STRICT_POPULATION_CAP:INF]
>sit back as nation burns in one giant tantrum spiral
>>
>>129086284
can't unsee
I really hope you embarked into the flip-off region
>>
>>129087649
Nothing has changed in that aspect of the game.
>>
>>129068431
>>129068567
These remind me of that movie The Warriors for some reason.
CANYOUDIGIT?
>>
>>129084018
>>129082723
1) Material that melts at blood temperature and has contact syndrome might work. But all in all modders dropped that method.
2) That all seems doable, see the wiki on interactions and syndromes. Interaction can be forbidden to target a creature affected by a specific syndorme.
>>
New Dorf Fort player here and I'm wondering a couple of things.

1a. Is there a way to have my dorfs routinely check my stockpiles and remove any rotten food from them?
1b. If not, should I just speed up the rate I'm making meals at? From what I'd read, prepared food doesn't spoil, so I figure that's the solution.

2. Any tips for finding the caverns? I found them once by chance, and would like to recreate that luck in a game I don't fuck up as bad.

Thanks in advance! Also, god damn I should have tried out this game sooner.
>>
>>129093480
Never mind about the food rot. I think my issue was in having my food be fish-centric.
>>
>>129057164
>the pitting/chaining intelligent creatures bug marked as fixed in the next version on the bug tracker
THANK YOU BASED TOADY
>>
>>129093480
>rotten items
Food doesn't rot at all in a food stockpile unless it's also designated for refuse, so make sure your stockpile setti gs aren't fucked up.
>tips for finding the caverns
Literally just dig down.
>>
>>129096083
>>129093480
I highly endorse carefully digging through one of the corners straight down, navigating around when you encounter lava, and trying to ONLY open the third cavern, if you can help it. That wiay you will maximize the nethercap and other more interesting shrooms. Don't open the other caverns, if you can help it anyway. If you do, then it'll be more evenly distributed.
>>
>>129085519
I think both of those can be satisfied through books and debates.

I'm not sure exactly how, but I think trying to argue something that you don't believe yourself might count as self-examination, or perhaps, you'll have to give in to an opponent and change your views.

"Think abstractly" is definitly satisfied by some books, and possibly also through some debates.
>>
>>129091652
Awesome! I dig it!
>>
dead
>>
>>128858831

Dont listen to these guys. The easiest way to have iron is to look for clay on the embark screen.
>>
>>129101682
No it isn't. Any site with a soil layer can have clay, and every biome that isn't a mountain is likely to have soil. Clay isn't any more positively correlated with iron ores than any other soil type.
>>
>>129104118
>Clay isn't any more positively correlated with iron ores than any other soil type.
but it is irl
Thread posts: 676
Thread images: 208

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.