[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Should all content in a game be skippable? https://www.youtu

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 11

File: skipping.jpg (18KB, 320x180px) Image search: [Google]
skipping.jpg
18KB, 320x180px
Should all content in a game be skippable?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdN4BTH1qa4
>>
30FPS probably won't bring on the apocalypse either.
>>
And cutting out content to be sold later likely won't bring the apocalypse.
>>
>>324309373
Pay-to-win content and microtransactions probably won't bring on the Apocalypse.
>>
If a dev adds it to their game I don't see anything wrong with it
People that want to play it can, people that don't don't need to.
>>
>people skip out on content
>wow I only got X hours out of GAME how shit
>actually wanting to skip content
Literally get a new hobby if you hate video games that much.
>>
>>324309373
First of all, this feature would only work in a few games, such as generic cinematic FPS games where there's roughly zero long term planning or resource management required whatsoever. Also, easy mode already exists, as well as a level select feature in most of these games.

What games really need is a skip cinematic walking scene button for your second playthroughs.
>>
Don't play a fucking video game if you don't want to play a video game. Don't pander to casuals, holy fuck. It benefits literally no one.
>>
I really don't see how adding free options, even retarded and not used by me are gonna make any difference.
Maybe lazier devs are going to fuck up the game balance "because you can just skip it lol" but they fuck it up nowadays even without it, so whatever.
>>
Goddamn, is the chemo for the ass-cancer affecting his brain?
>>
>>324309373
Doubling the price of games probably won't bring on the apocalypse.
>>
Doing this in games like Bloodborne or, in fact, most RPGs wouldn't work. Even in games like GTA V, this wouldn't work.
>>
This "everybody is a winner" bullshit is killing me. It's like the fucking Hamburger Helper thing, how the fuck can you be satisfied with a product if you just skip around? Who the fuck would like that?

What if you took an RPG and just decided you felt like playing AFTER the big plot twist? How the fuck would you understand anything?

The only time this should ever be a thing is new game+ so I don't have to sit through all the bullshit again. More games need a "just turn the goddamn cutscenes off" feature.
>>
>>324313956
Gta v lets you skip missions.
>>
TB doesn't actually play video games though. Every single game he plays he starts up the game, looks at all the graphics options and then plays the game for 30 minutes while staring at the FPS counter the entire time and how many jaggies he can count then quits and formulates his opinion and moves on to the next game. In his videos on games he never actually discusses the story or gameplay systems of a game. He just obsesses about FOV and framerate and anti aliasing.

He also constantly complains on his podcast about games are way too long and that he wishes all games were a few hours long.
>>
>>324315117
>games are way too long
That's true though.
>>
>>324315781
Find a new hobby.
>>
>>324316521
Nah. Glad you enjoy repetitive content though.
>>
I think there should be a hidden option for it, like a cheatcode. But having it out in the open devalues the gameplay. But I'm totally for it through a hidden console of some sort.

Imagine playing skyrim or the Sims and there is an option in the menu for givethisweapon or freemoney. I wouldn't want to play that because I feel it cheapens the experience by having the option available to me that easily. Skipping content should feel 'illegal'. As long as it feels bad to skip content I don't mind it being there as an option for everyone else.
>>
>>324316628
what were the last few games you finished?
And what are the most recent games you've played?
>>
File: aromatisse.png (74KB, 278x159px) Image search: [Google]
aromatisse.png
74KB, 278x159px
>Game has unskippable cutscenes
>>
>>324316521
most good games are 20 hours or less. any longer and they have filler or pacing issues
>>
>>324309373
What worries me is if they start balancing the game around people who skip content. I don't want the whole game to feel like I'm playing the tutorial level just because some cunt too lazy to play video games decided to skip to the middle of the game.
>>
>>324315781
>games are way too long
are you talking about modern games? the ones that barely scrape together 5 hours of gameplay
>>
>>324316868
Good to know your taste is narrower than console FOV.
>>
>>324309373
Killing all Jews probably won't bring on the apocalypse
>>
>>324315117
Yes, he does. He actually goes in as much depth as he can about the gameplay of a game that he's doing first impressions on. He has finished a few games including Metro and BioShock Infinite.
>>
File: 1452202780401.jpg (129KB, 1124x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1452202780401.jpg
129KB, 1124x1024px
>>324316825

>game has unskippable cutscenes

>before a bossfight

>this is your 7th time retrying
>>
File: flapjack.png (62KB, 211x198px) Image search: [Google]
flapjack.png
62KB, 211x198px
>>324317046
Well done anon, you responded to the most obvious troll post since gorilla fucking warfare
>>
I think my only issue with skipping content is that it means a developer isn't comfortable with their product, and that if players are weak-willed they will use the skipping feature a lot and get a half baked experience of what the game is. Thus if they try and speak as an authority on the game, they just wont understand it as well.

I feel it can lead to a general fan population that has little understanding of the games they play. Which would be unfortunate.
>>
File: 1425928776149.jpg (156KB, 876x777px) Image search: [Google]
1425928776149.jpg
156KB, 876x777px
>>324317162
>There's NO WAY you're taking KAIRI'SHEART
>>
>>324309373
neither will 30FPS
>>
Thats basically what a golden tanooki suits does.

If you're going to make content skippable make it a mechanic. Have the player build up items to skip a fight or something. Don't just hand it to the player.
>>
How does that even work when you need to level your character.
>>
for a first playthrough, i never skipped cutscenes when the option is there, hell, sometimes i accidentally press something to skip it that i completely miss what they said. they should've made it like in KH2 where you pause and skip instead of skipping by accident
>>
>Skip content
>Game leaves some sort of mark of shame on your save file or disables achievements something.
>>
>>324317002
Are you me?
>>
Sounds reasonable.
>>
it would be a balancing nightmare
>>
I think i skipped most of the cutscenes in ZoE. Suddenly there were bombs to be desarmed, the bitch that was on the cockpit is not there anymore and there's some evil zombie robot around.
It was better than suffering through Shinji 2.0 cutscenes though.
>>
File: image.png (263KB, 366x331px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
263KB, 366x331px
>>324309373

>go to subway
>ask for a double american cheese salami delux
>tell the sandwich artist to skip over the salami right to the lettuce because skipping content won't bring the apocalypse
>go shit talk costumer service later that day because my sandwich eating experince was sub par
>bring about the second holocaust because it will probably won't bring on the apocalypse

This is how retarded you sound
>>
Why do I fell disgusted just looking at that title?
>>
>>324309373
If you don't want to play video games, that's fine.
But don't complain about your experience being sub-par if you skip things in video games, that's just ridiculous.
>>
>>324319003
It reminds you the current state of video games.
>>
You can skip chapters of a book if you like.

You can skip parts of a movie if you like.

But doing so earns you no respect. Your peers will jeer at you, rightfully so, because you do not understand the whole experience. However, if you do not care much about the medium and skipping content allows you enjoyment, sure, no problem with that.

More importantly, if you DO care about the medium, and play a game through completely but want to go back and re-experience a part you loved without going through parts you didn't love as much, you should. This is partially doable with save files, but some games' save files are limited. Also, since even linear games allow SOME variables, a premade chapter select would be disingenuous -- imagine wanted to replay MIIIIIIIKE in RE4, where you had a Red9 upgraded 4 times in power, once in reload, and twice in capacity, but the game gave you a Punisher 3 times upgraded power, three times reload, and no capacity, not to mention other weapons you may/may not have had.

I don't know what I'm trying to say other than it would be nearly impossible and that allowing infinite saves is the best option.
>>
This is what you get for not making a clear distinction between multiplayer and singleplayer games, people start to think content should be treated the same way for both.
>>
>>324310572
how so?
>>
>>324315117
I've noticed this over the years of watching him. I sincerely don't believe he finishes many of the games he praises. There's a reason his steam profile is private.
>>
File: 1452968332078.png (130KB, 462x357px) Image search: [Google]
1452968332078.png
130KB, 462x357px
>>324311915
Always online games and console downgrades probably won't bring on the apocalypse
>>
File: 1451779818231.jpg (53KB, 878x814px) Image search: [Google]
1451779818231.jpg
53KB, 878x814px
> He watched a let's play of Bloodborne because he won't play a game @30fps
Why is this guy taken seriously?
>>
File: 1452257646954.jpg (45KB, 480x674px) Image search: [Google]
1452257646954.jpg
45KB, 480x674px
> Awkwardly dodged the Witcher 3 consoles downgrade because CDPR sponsored his failed e-sports team and gave all his buttbuddies ebin voice acting roles
> AT LEAST IT'S NOT WATCH DOGS AM I RIGHT
> Never mentioned the DRM shipped with first batch copies of the game
> He's still allowed to have an opinion
>>
I don't see the problem with adding the ability to skip levels, what if your save file fails and you want to skip to chapter 15 instead of being forced to go through chapters 1-14 again?
>>
Why are you playing video games if you don't want to play video games?
You're not asking to make shit easier, you don't want to experience and entire segment of the game.
And no faggot, not the cutscene, that shit should be skippable, but only after you've watched it at least once.
What's the point of playing if you don't want to play?
>>
>>324309373
Man, TB says some dumb shit sometimes. Level select in a story/campaign completely makes the story irrelevant. Level select is only okay if there wasn't any story to begin with. Level select should only be unlocked after you beat the story once.
>>
TB is probably the guy who would skip scenes in 2001: A Space Odyssey
>>
>'i have a great idea', says video game developer 1 to video game developer 2
>'and what's that?' says video game developer 2 to video game developer 1
>'let's take the one unique thing about video games, the interactivity, and remove it' says video game developer 1
>'what a fucking retarded idea' says video game developer 2 in response
>>
The guy is a total moron. Contradicts himself constantly, yet praised as a great opinion. Hope the cancer comes sooner than later.
>>
File: 1452404100041.gif (1MB, 300x227px) Image search: [Google]
1452404100041.gif
1MB, 300x227px
>>324309373
>Skipping content

Why do you do this? You payed a questionable amount on Game. You should get the most out ever penny you spend.

I bet this faggot buys games and thinks its a job or a chore.
>>
>>324309373
>Lose a single player's save
>it doesn't matter, can play the final level anyways.

I agree. This is a good thing.
>>
>>324324098
That's not really a problem anymore what with cloud saves becoming more and more common.
>>
File: bee movie.png (459KB, 500x629px) Image search: [Google]
bee movie.png
459KB, 500x629px
This is extremely relevant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4AmIKhfr40
>>
If the player can't be expected to know which segments are important before playing it.

That's why the distinction between sidemissions and main story exists in many games, it's (in theory) the best of both worlds, you have a consistent narrative and content you can do or ignore.
>>
>>324317897

The Donkey Kong Country Returns games did this pretty well; if you died too many times in a level, they'd get a silver DK to beat it for you, but the autopilot wouldn't collect any KONG letters or puzzle pieces or anything. The player would have to git gud for those.

Of course, platformers are probably the easiest type of game to do this in.
>>
Cawadoody doing it is one thing, they know very few people complete their campaign and those who do don't give two shits about narrative anyway, so they are doing this so their customers can get more out of the campaign. This is fine.

I doubt this system would work well in most games though.
>>
>>324309373
>skipping classes probably won't make you a retard
>has a degree
>works at starbucks
>100,000 debt
>>
>>324317564
I still have trouble on that boss-fight.

I don't know why.
Thread posts: 66
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.